Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Stupid McKee Question

Posted by RatushnyFan 
Stupid McKee Question
Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: September 04, 2005 11:43PM

Why wasn't McKee ever drafted? I read in some board (seemed to be part speculation) that he didn't even "register" for the draft the year that he was eligible. I've only seen him play a couple of times, but obviously he looked pretty sharp. Is he considered a legitimate pro prospect? He seems tall enough for the pros and his positioning is excellent. Some of the message boards for pro teams with other Cornell prospects in their systems are drooling over him.

INCH and other hockey references seem to view him as a prospect. I guess I'm a little surprised that no one has tried to "steal" him with money since he's a free agent. Maybe they have and we're just lucky.

Re: Stupid McKee Question
Posted by: pfibiger (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 12:27AM

I think that the issue is that he's a little older (Pokulok came to Cornell relatively young, so he was drafted after a year at CU, but plenty of other CU players (Sawada, O'Byrne, etc) are/were drafted after playing junior hockey, before ever playing at Lynah.

McKee played in a weaker junior league (generally the NAHL is considered not as strong a league as the USHL) that probably wasn't scouted as heavily.

I have to imagine that he's beening looked at pretty seriously by a lot of NHL teams, and he'll have his choice of suitors when he goes pro, like Yann Danis did a couple of years ago. That said, I think he's said that he's planning on staying in school for four years.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: September 05, 2005 09:41AM

You have to opt in to the draft when you're 18, but doing so makes you lose your amateur eligibility. The next year, at 19, you're automatically in. Not sure if there's any kind of official 'registration', but I don't think so. Even if there was, that wouldn't stop much. If a team had someone on their list, even for a late late round and found he hadn't bothered to fill out some little paperwork, they'd probably fill it out for him and ask him to sign it and send it on their next scouting trip.

Yeah, McKee played in the secondary american junior league. Also, when he got here, he wasn't all that great, guys. I was quite unimpressed with him freshman year, it's not that he was bad, just not impressive. There was a distinct turn around with him mid last winter, right as the team went on the winning streak (coincidence? no). He looked a lot more solid and gave up less soft rebounds and soft goals. Took him a good nearly season and a half to get to the level he's gotten to, and by then the draft had long since passed him.

Posted by: Jim (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 02:54PM

Stupid McKee answer! You do not opt in our out of the draft, as a player you have nothing to do with it. Between the 15th and 20th birthday anyone can be drafted, the player can not control it. Once chosen a player is that "teams property" until one year after his class graduates from college if he does not sign within the year after he then becomes a free agent. In reality he will never play because no one would really be interested any longer.

Moulson is a good example of a bad deal, he was drafted 246 and is certainly better than that.

Delta 181 is unimpressed with McKee his freshman year after he went MVP and first team in the NHAL then second team ECAC as a freshman. I am glad the coaches know more than Delta.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 06:21PM

Jim, you're just wrong. Players can't be drafted until their 18 year old year (MHL anyway, juniors are different). McKee was *not* highly touted coming to Cornell, at least in the sense of being a great pro prospect. After all, he was supposed to sit on the bench behind LeNeveu for two years. He's simply elevated his game dramatically. Take a look at some of Schafer's quotes from the beginning of last season - it's clear that Schafer felt McKee needed to improve and challenged him to do so. Happily for us, David has done that.

As has been noted plenty of times before, lots of good players do not get drafted. Drafting is an inexact science.

In the new NHL CBA rules teams lose rights to players they have drafted only a few months (three?) after graduation rather than a year. Thus increased pressure to sign players early and not let them have the leverage of a pending free agency.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2005 07:05PM

McKee was available to be drafted but was passed over the years in which he was eligible. At the time he was eligible, he was in the NAHL. How many players, let alone goalies have you seen drafted straight out of the NAHL? Not unordinary for some of the best college players and more specifically goaltedners to be passed on and become free agents. More recently Yann Danis, but Ed Belfour and Curtis Joseph also were undrafted college goaltenders.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: September 06, 2005 09:59AM

[Q]Jim Wrote:
You do not opt in our out of the draft, as a player you have nothing to do with it. Between the 15th and 20th birthday anyone can be drafted, the player can not control it. Once chosen a player is that "teams property" until one year after his class graduates from college if he does not sign within the year after he then becomes a free agent.[/q]

These are the eligiblity rules for Canadian juniors (CHL), not the NHL draft.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2005 10:24AM

About the only thing I agree with Jim on is I'm glad that I'm not on the coaching staff either. Obviously Schafer saw a lot of potential and I'm in no position to disagree with that - in Schafer we trust.

All I knew is that, having witnessed McKee's freshman season in person, and much of his sophomore fall too, he was letting up what would be considered 'soft' goals for a Cornell goaltender. Just shots from the point that he could have and should have seen and stopped. He still had a very nice GAA and Sv%, but playing behind the Cornell defense doesn't hurt that. His GAA dropped 30% (1.84 to 1.24) and his Sv% jumped .027 points, meaning ~35% of the shots he was letting in before were now being stopped.

Perhaps we were spoiled by Lenny and even a mostly impressive senior season for Underhill, but McKee's first season, not by the numbers, but by the style and timing of goals, was far from what we'd been used to. Remember this is the goalie that Schafer apparently sent a message to through the press before last season saying he needed to be more consistent and let up fewer soft goals. So, I'm not the only one.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2005 10:34AM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: September 06, 2005 10:28AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

You have to opt in to the draft when you're 18, but doing so makes you lose your amateur eligibility. The next year, at 19, you're automatically in. [/q]

Fred is correct about the opt-in age as quoted above. If you are 18 by Sept. 15 of the draft year you can opt-in. The next year you are automatically eligible. I believe in 2004 the NCAA changed its stance, and now players may opt-in without losing eligibility, as long as they don't hire an agent.

That being said, McKee is obviously in a strong position by being overlooked in the draft and now being a free agent. There's no doubt in my mind that he's been approached by several teams this summer, and his decision to stay in school is much appreciated by Big Red fans.

Posted by: The Rancor (65.5.157.---)
Date: September 06, 2005 04:55PM

I think McKee is a classic diamond in the rough. plus hes from friggin Texas.
I am too lazy to look it up but who were the goalies and forwards in McKee's draft year? if it was a strong year he could have easily been overlooked when he might have been a late round pick in others.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 12:10AM

[q]After all, he was supposed to sit on the bench behind LeNeveu for two years.[/q]
He was supposed to spend a year playing in Nanaimo, then sit behind LeNeveu.

Posted by: Steve Rockey (---.empsl.cornell.edu)
Date: September 08, 2005 02:49PM

I think both points of view have some merit. McKee did indeed improve his game significantly his sophomore year. However, I was very impressed with his play as a freshman and the .920 save percentage can not be lightly dismissed. I think he was not an obvious draft choice at the end of his freshman year but I thought he was going to be a very good college goalie. In my opinion his freshman year the defense was not as good as it had been the year before in front of LeNeveu. McKee faced 23.7 shots per game versus the 20.2 LeNeveu faced the year before. I also think the defense more often let down and allowed a larger number of dangerous shots than they had the year before. The number of shots per game he faced was about the same his sophomore year as his freshman year but he played better and I think the defense was better and did not break down as much. It is not just how many shots you face it is how difficult they are.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 04:12PM

[q]I think he was not an obvious draft choice at the end of his freshman year but I thought he was going to be a very good college goalie.[/q]I don't disagree that McKee had a very solid freshman season. But he wasn't eligible for the daft after his freshman campaign - he was already 20 by that point, past draft age. Draft decisions were made solely based on his juniors performance and as some have pointed out it's hard to impress enough when playing in a lower tier junior league.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: September 08, 2005 06:41PM

After his freshman season, David McKee was eligible for the 2004 NHL draft as a previously undrafted 20 year old. The Canadiens surprised many of us and drafted Jon Gleed that year though Gleed was 20. This year, the Oilers drafted 20-year-old Danny Syvret, a late-blooming defenseman for the London Knights (OHL).

On another note, the opt-in procedure for the NHL draft has been eliminated. Now all players who turn 18 by September 15 of the draft year are automatically eligible for the draft.

Date: September 08, 2005 07:13PM

He was eligible at 20? Could've sworn you weren't after your 19 year old year, but I trust you Craig. My bad.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: September 09, 2005 01:30PM

For players in North America, 20 is the year undrafted players become free agents. But, if they played in the season preceding their Age-20 draft, they are subject to the draft and become free agents only if they are not drafted as overage players.

The free-agency and draft rules are confusing, and there was considerable confusion on this forum (in part instigated by my misunderstanding of the rules) about them after the Canadiens drafted Jon Gleed last year.

Date: September 09, 2005 01:39PM

[Q]cbuckser Wrote:

After his freshman season, David McKee was eligible for the 2004 NHL draft as a previously undrafted 20 year old. The Canadiens surprised many of us and drafted Jon Gleed that year though Gleed was 20. [/Q]

McKee wasn't eligible for the 2004 draft. Although the date for becoming eligible is based upon age at Sept. 15, you become ineligible based upon age at Dec. 31 of the draft year. McKee, with a December 1983 birthdate, was ineligible for the 2004 draft, while Gleed, with a January 1984 birthdate, remained eligible. It doesn't make a lot of sense, as those with a Sept. 16 to Dec. 31 birthdate can become a free agent in one less draft than the others, but that's the way it is.
I think it's absolutely safe to say the David would have been drafted had he been eligible in 2004, but his last draft eligible year was right before he entered Cornell.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 09, 2005 03:54PM

[q]I think it's absolutely safe to say the David would have been drafted had he been eligible in 2004[/q]It's always safe to say something that can't be disproved! :-P

Date: September 09, 2005 04:09PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

I think it's absolutely safe to say the David would have been drafted had he been eligible in 2004[/Q]
It's always safe to say something that can't be disproved! [/q]
David had an excellent freshman year. Guys drafted that year included David Brown, freshman from Notre Dame, who I saw play against us in Estero in our 4-0 victory, a game in which we were outshot. Although that's only a one game comparison, McKee had an outstanding year. There was even a USHL goalie drafted that year and lots of others who clearly hadn't proven themselves as much as David.
Anyway, my main point in the above post was to clear up the misunderstandings as to why McKee wasn't drafted in 2004. It was because he was no longer eligible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2005 04:12PM by jkahn.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: September 09, 2005 05:15PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

McKee wasn't eligible for the 2004 draft. Although the date for becoming eligible is based upon age at Sept. 15, you become ineligible based upon age at Dec. 31 of the draft year. McKee, with a December 1983 birthdate, was ineligible for the 2004 draft, while Gleed, with a January 1984 birthdate, remained eligible. It doesn't make a lot of sense, as those with a Sept. 16 to Dec. 31 birthdate can become a free agent in one less draft than the others, but that's the way it is.[/q]

I had no idea that players with late-1983 birthdates became free agents at the same time as players with 1983 birthdates who could have opted into the 2001 draft. What a bizarre rule.

I apologize for misinforming people.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: September 11, 2005 11:18PM

I guess it was a stupid question that others needed refreshing on. Thanks everyone!!

Posted by: The Rancor (65.5.157.---)
Date: September 12, 2005 03:52PM

top goalie in the 03 draft: mark-andre fleury #1 overall

Date: September 12, 2005 05:11PM

Jeff, I was being snarky, not necessarily disagreeing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login