Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Attendance: lacrosse vs. hockey at Cornell

Posted by billhoward 
Attendance: lacrosse vs. hockey at Cornell
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 05:15PM

Princeton at Cornell lacrosse, April 2005, official attendance 1,150

They're both the national sports of Canada, Cornell excels in both, yet in hockey Cornell fills a 3,800-seat arena every game, while in lacrosse it's a special game when more than 1,000 fans show up. Can anyone currently on the Hill explain?

Re: Attendance: lacrosse vs. hockey at Cornell
Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: May 06, 2005 05:29PM

I'm not there now, but was during 2000-2004. You just dont hear as much about it. Football has American tradition, and hockey is hockey. Those who follows school sports know the team is good, but by far I dont think many others do. IT simply doesnt get as much coverage or word of mouth. Game times probly dont help; 7pm Friday and Saturday is easier than early Saturday or sometime during the week. Springtime might have something to do, people want to go places when the weather's good, unlike winter when hockey has the entertainment monopoly.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 09:07PM

Hockey is just more popular. The NHL is still considered a major pro sport in the US, even if it is a clear fourth and regional (and who knows where it will be post-stoppage). Lacrosse is also a regional sport and it has very minor appeal in the US. Just look at the pro-lacrosse league.

Now maybe you think lacrosse should have broad appeal. But it doesn't so it's absolutely no surprise that the support at Cornell is relatively weak.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 09:45PM

Although the steady decline of attendance at lacrosse games at Cornell is depressing to me, it's not surprising. Attendance at all Ivy League sports events has been declining for decades.

But I'll you what IS surprising: Attendance at Cornell games has declined much more rapidly then attendance at all other Ivy schools, with the exception of Pennsylvania. Cornell had only one 1,000+ home crowd all year -- the Princeton game seen above (I don't know how attendance was tonight against Hobart). Otherwise less than 500 people showed up per game. Cornell has been passed by the likes of Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, and Harvard when it comes to lax attendance. That steams me, because it's happening at a time when the team is playing at a sustained high level.

It's not realistic to expect the 5,000-12,000 crowds that we saw in the 1970s (and occasionally in the 1980s). But I don't expect to see Cornellians abandon lacrosse more quickly than other Ivy fans, and I don't expect near total indifference to an endemic sport that's familiar and beloved by so many people in the state.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 10:34PM

According to the box score on CornellBigRed.com, the game today was attended by 1337. Best crowd of the year, although I'm sure a Hobart contingent helped that. And they also didn't have a Syracuse home game this year which would have helped the numbers.

As a person who always tried to get friends to come to the lax games with me, and only ever succeeded with my gf who now enjoys the sport also, I can attest that it's very difficult to get students interested and I don't really know why.

I guess my friends mainly weren't interested in sports, except they would certainly willingling go to hockey just because it's the thing to do. I think part of it is the shortage of tickets, versus Schoellkopf where you can just walk in any time you please. Without a demand like that, it makes it seem less appealing. With hockey, either your a season ticket holder and "did your time", or it's a special invite to get to go to a game. Not sure what you could do about that. I suppose they could try a 'Schoellkopf sellout' thing for lax, but they'd just make themselves look even stupider than when they do for football.

Also, yeah, the lacrosse timing is less than ideal for college students. Noon or 1 pm on a Saturday is early. Either that or 4 pm on a Tuesday when you may have a class or a 7 pm prelim.

Gotta give credit to the Sun for covering the team and covering them well.

Afterall, we have a great sample right now. The people on here who are students who either 1) don't care about lax or 2) care but follow it on eLF instead of going down to the cresent. Care to defend yourselves? ;)

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 10:50PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

According to the box score on CornellBigRed.com, the game today was attended by 1337. [/q]

1337 of us? w00t!

Date: May 06, 2005 11:11PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote:

According to the box score on CornellBigRed.com, the game today was attended by 1337. [/Q]
1337 of us? w00t![/q]
Haha... you know when I wrote 1337 it seemed odd, but I didn't realize why ;)

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 11:35PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

According to the box score on CornellBigRed.com, the game today was attended by 1337. Best crowd of the year, although I'm sure a Hobart contingent helped that. [/q]

It seemed to me to be the biggest crowd of the year tonight, even without a lot of students (Slope Day didn't help attendance I'm sure). It also seemed to me to be a relatively small Hobart contingent compared to other years when the Hobart fans outnumbered or at least out-yelled the Cornell fans. Hobart fans were mostly family and not the usual rowdy students we were used to at one time. Nevertheless, I bet there were quite a few more than 1337 in attendance, as well, as it seemed that gate control was, pardon the pun, lax, and a lot of people (including me and the group I brought from the HS game) just walked in.

Of the seven lacrosse events (games and the Drexel scrimmage) that were in Ithaca this year, five occurred on or before April 9. Frankly, the weather was lousy. That never helps attendance.

The game times are inconvenient. It is also a big annoyance that the University markets the games to the community and then it is impossible to find parking and you end up with a ticket. They charge non-Cornell people $5 for a ticket to attend.

Some things are beyond the control of the University, but Cornell doesn't do much to help attendance for lacrosse.

Date: May 07, 2005 12:57AM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote: Although the steady decline of attendance at lacrosse games at Cornell is depressing to me, it's not surprising. Attendance at all Ivy League sports events has been declining for decades. ... But I'll you what IS surprising: Attendance at Cornell games has declined much more rapidly then attendance at all other Ivy schools, with the exception of Pennsylvania. Cornell had only one 1,000+ home crowd all year -- the Princeton game seen above (I don't know how attendance was tonight against Hobart). Otherwise less than 500 people showed up per game. Cornell has been passed by the likes of Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, and Harvard when it comes to lax attendance. That steams me, because it's happening at a time when the team is playing at a sustained high level. .... It's not realistic to expect the 5,000-12,000 crowds that we saw in the 1970s (and occasionally in the 1980s). But I don't expect to see Cornellians abandon lacrosse more quickly than other Ivy fans, and I don't expect near total indifference to an endemic sport that's familiar and beloved by so many people in the state.[/q]The Ivies are not alone in seeing attendance falling off. It's a phenomenon affecting most all college sports across all of America. Ohio State or Michigan may fill their 100,000-seat stadiums but not with students. It's alumni and townspeople/boosters. (Cornell hockey may be one of the exceptions.) If Cornell students are doing StairMaster instead of sunning themselves at Schoellkopf while the lacrosse team plays, okay, it's probably better to be in good shape than watch athletes who are in really good shape.

Having forgotten how poorly Cornell home games have been attended, at the last two Cornell lacrosse games at Princeton, I thought wrongly how sad it was to see the stands only half to three-quarters full. (It was impressive that the Big Red Pep Band showed but not the Princeton band.) I didn't realize that 2000-3000 was pretty good compared to what Cornell is drawing.

Maybe hockey draws more because hockey is a (semi) major sport and there's a long history of winning at Cornell. While Cornell has more and more recent lacrosse championships, it's still before they were born. Maybe there is nothing else to do on a winter weekend. Maybe when you can't get tickets you're willing to stand in line for tickets.

It is sad if other Ivy schools haven't had the falloff in lacrosse participation that Cornell did. Upstate New York is one of the hotbeds of lacrosse. It's hard to believe there aren't at least 1,000 freshmen coming in each year whose schools played lacrosse and played it seriously.

Could it be Schoellkopf Field is just too big? It may look comfortable with 10,000 or even 5,000 but when it falls to 1,500 max, it looks deserted and you feel uncomfortable, sort of the way four people feel uncomfortable sitting in a grand living room with a 12-foot ceiling. It's too late to fix this except with dynamite, but imagine if Lower Alumni Field (that would be what's directly across from Barton, next to Teagle - ie Comstock Hall) was still a sports field and not one more academic building. Imagine that Ari could walk over from his afternoon ILR class and be watching a lax game 90 seconds later.

Is there any possibility - I meant this as a joke but now I wonder - if the falloff in interest in lacrosse correlates to the advent of the 21-year-drinking age and the hassles of bringing a couple beers into the stadium? Hobart students can't handle their beer, but Cornell students for the most part have known when to say when.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2005 11:16AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Afterall, we have a great sample right now. The people on here who are students who either 1) don't care about lax or 2) care but follow it on eLF instead of going down to the cresent. Care to defend yourselves? [/q]

I went to a high school that was very good at lacrosse, but saw my first lacrosse game this season, v. Princeton. Wow. I loved it. But, and I'm going to echo other comments here, the timing of the games does not help. Football is always around 1, 1:30 on Saturdays, hockey is always at 7 pm on Friday and Saturday. The only question is whether it's a home or away weekend. I can't guess at when the lacrosse games will be, so I often miss them, even if I would like to go. Messing around on eLynah as often as I do helps, because I usually get a heads-up from some poster that a game is coming up.
Generalized sports apathy is another problem - most of my friends don't care about Cornell sports. They might care about the teams their boyfriends are on, they might care about hockey because you're supposed to care about hockey, but they're amazed that I actually know how, say, the soccer teams are doing. (And that's only because I read the Sun sports section.) They're not the type to go to any game, and I'm not sure what anyone could do to fix that.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2005 11:36AM

[Q]peterg Wrote:

It seemed to me to be the biggest crowd of the year tonight, even without a lot of students (Slope Day didn't help attendance I'm sure).[/Q]Paradoxically, Slope Day greatly IMPROVED the attendance of pep band members. Biggest band we've had all season. I guess I could pin it on my fantastic job promoting the event. nut

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

Generalized sports apathy is another problem - most of my friends don't care about Cornell sports. They might care about the teams their boyfriends are on, they might care about hockey because you're supposed to care about hockey, but they're amazed that I actually know how, say, the soccer teams are doing. (And that's only because I read the Sun sports section.) They're not the type to go to any game, and I'm not sure what anyone could do to fix that.[/q]Solution: Get better friends. :-D

Seriously, it's a growing trend for the academic-minded to have a healthy distaste for sports. I think that's a big part of why there's been a drop-off in interest in the pep band, even for hockey... they feel it's somehow "immoral" to support something that, in their minds, takes a lot of money and administrative attention away from academics.

Date: May 07, 2005 11:40AM

Thanks for your input, Liz. One thing you kinda misunderstood what I said... the lax times are *pretty* consistent, although not as much so as hockey, but what I meant is that most of them are 1 pm on Saturday (occassionally noon, but I think those tend to be away games, Cornell tends to schedule them at 1). And 1 on Saturday is a bad time for college kids, no matter how consistent it may be.

I made a special effort because I'm a huge sports fan and once I forced myself to the first lacrosse game (in the rain ;) ), I was hooked.

And the lax exceptions are pretty consistent. Syracuse is on Tuesday at 7 (home or away), Binghamton has been on Wednesday at 4 (moment of silence...) . Other than that, they're all Saturday at 1. Which may be consistent, but isn't easy to get up for after going to sleep at 2 or 3 or later the night before.

Other than the fact that they'd be bucking lacrosse tradition, putting weekend games at say 4 would probably be a good first step. But other than that, yeah, it's generalized sports apathy (good phrase) except for hockey. Football gets more townie interest and I think as a freshman/sophomore you naturally want to go to the football game cause you associate that with college sports, then you realize we often suck and it's not a big event anyway when you can't find a friend to go with you anymore. Wrestling has definitely been getting crowds, but again it's townie based.

Success definitely can't hurt, but it might take a national title or so to garner real attention. Then again, it doesn't help that the Final 4 is after the Sun stops printing and all the students leave, except seniors who are just a little bit busy that weekend.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2005 12:14PM

[Q]Seriously, it's a growing trend for the academic-minded to have a healthy distaste for sports. I think that's a big part of why there's been a drop-off in interest in the pep band, even for hockey... they feel it's somehow "immoral" to support something that, in their minds, takes a lot of money and administrative attention away from academics.[/q]

I couldn't agree more. They're the same people who bitch for hours on end about letting athletes into the university on slightly reduced academic standards. Of course, these are the very same people who were the president of seven (insert generic club/organization name here) to make themselves a "more rounded student." Not that we all didn't do that, just have some respect for yourselves and others and manage a half-decent argument. Athletics are just another thing to measure one by, and if someone is in the top couple hundred at something in the nation, why shouldn't they be recognized for it, so long as they can handle themselves here? Anyway, sorry for the rant, but this is definitely one of my pet peeves.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 12:21PM

Well it isn't just a PC issue. I had no ideological problem with sports or student-athletes when I was on the hill, but other than hockey I probably attended fewer than a half dozen of all other sporting events combined in 4+ years. It just didn't fit my priorities (study, drink, repeat...).

Date: May 07, 2005 01:11PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote: Seriously, it's a growing trend for the academic-minded to have a healthy distaste for sports. I think that's a big part of why there's been a drop-off in interest in the pep band, even for hockey... they feel it's somehow "immoral" to support something that, in their minds, takes a lot of money and administrative attention away from academics.[/q]Dislike of the academic elite for the athletic elite is not a new phenomenon. Today, as a generation ago, it must really tick off some short, geeky guys with glasses trying to get in Hopkins Med that there are tall, muscular hockey players who played, started, starred, earned post-season honors ... and are at Yale Med right now. There are simply going to be students at Cornell who are more well-rounded than others. To paraphrase Gore Vidal, "When a friend succeeds, a little something inside me dies."

Drawing 1,000 fans for a lacrosse game, that does not go back a generation.

Good thing the highest ranking Cornell alum in the administration who is of the academic elite is also a sports nut of the highest order.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 09:47PM

Clearly the solution is to get the admissions folk to put give extra points to people who admit that they enjoy watching a variety of sports.:-D

Date: May 07, 2005 10:47PM

[Q]David Harding Wrote:

Clearly the solution is to get the admissions folk to put give extra points to people who admit that they enjoy watching a variety of sports. [/q]

Or maybe give preference for hockey tickets to students who attend other sporting events. I don't know the details, but believe at North Carolina they have a system of rewards that gives preferences for basketball tickets.

Posted by: Bryan '06 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 08, 2005 12:30AM

[Q] Or maybe give preference for hockey tickets to students who attend other sporting events. [/Q]

Like how the pepband gives out tickets to its members? :-)
[www.rso.cornell.edu]

Posted by: Ken '70 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2005 08:57AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

They're both the national sports of Canada, Cornell excels in both, yet in hockey Cornell fills a 3,800-seat arena every game, while in lacrosse it's a special game when more than 1,000 fans show up. Can anyone currently on the Hill explain?
[/q]

Lacrosse has turned into basketball with sticks. One team scores, then retreats into its defensive third without contending the field. An offensive player walks/sometimes runs around a bit before shooting or making a pass to someone who walks/sometimes runs around a bit before....

Slower than hockey, more predictable, less team more individual, less dynamic, little two-way action.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 08, 2005 09:12AM

[Q]Ken '70 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

[/Q]
Lacrosse has turned into basketball with sticks. One team scores, then retreats into its defensive third without contending the field. An offensive player walks/sometimes runs around a bit before shooting or making a pass to someone who walks/sometimes runs around a bit before....

Slower than hockey, more predictable, less team more individual, less dynamic, little two-way action. [/q]

As a new fan to the sport, I have to ask, did lacrosse (Cornell lacrosse in particular) used to be played a different way?

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2005 09:43AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Thanks for your input, Liz. One thing you kinda misunderstood what I said... the lax times are *pretty* consistent, although not as much so as hockey, but what I meant is that most of them are 1 pm on Saturday (occassionally noon, but I think those tend to be away games, Cornell tends to schedule them at 1). And 1 on Saturday is a bad time for college kids, no matter how consistent it may be. [/Q]

Okay...so the moral of the story is I get confused. :-)
I guess I'm usually up before 1 pm on Saturdays, so I don't see that it's particularly bad timing. I'm usually doing something else, though. (I was about to type that I might be at the library, then realized the only time I make it there on the weekends is when my internet's out and it's my only option.) I will however, be doing some community service thing or be on a wine tour (like I will be today) or something. I think my priorities might be mixed up...

[Q]And the lax exceptions are pretty consistent. Syracuse is on Tuesday at 7 (home or away), Binghamton has been on Wednesday at 4 (moment of silence...) . [/Q]

If you don't pay TOO much attention to the sport, it's easy to not realize that those are standardized exceptions, and interpret those two games, out of what, 11? 12? as inconsistent scheduling.

Success is good, scheduling could help, but maybe we need to publicize better. I know when I got all my admissions material, every mention of sports was accompanied by a picture of Lynah Faithful/the hockey team. While, obviously, this looks good, as the rink is full and the fans rabid, it gives the impression that hockey is the only sport here. If that's what you're telling the freshmen, they won't know to watch lacrosse (or any other sport). Convince a few freshmen to go (if only to check it off their "150 things to do at Cornell" list) and you might hook them...

Posted by: Ken'70 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2005 10:44AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

[As a new fan to the sport, I have to ask, did lacrosse (Cornell lacrosse in particular) used to be played a different way?[/q]

It was never hockey, nor soccer for that matter, in terms of flow, speed or dynamics, but my distant recollection of the first NCAA championship team, and a few that preceeded it, is that it was closer to those sports in those characteristics than it is now.

This may just be my reaction to Cornell games I've seen recently. When I've watched the NCAA semis and finals the last few years some of those games have actually been much more entertaining; but it's been TV viewing vs. live Big Red games, so maybe the game shows better on TV than live, or maybe (probably) those are just far better teams with a different approach to the game.

Date: May 08, 2005 03:54PM

It's always a matter of ones own opinion, but I think this year's team has been wonderful to watch, with plenty of offense, taking the fast break whenever available, with lots of motion - both with and without the ball, and agressive on defense and checking. That's why Cornell is at or near the top in scoring average.

Lacrosse isn't hockey or basketball or soccer or anything else. It's its own game, with its own set of skills. I suppose one appeciates it or not, but I've always found when it's played well, that the game is fast, physical and intense.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2005 05:57PM

[Q]peterg Wrote:

It's always a matter of ones own opinion, but I think this year's team has been wonderful to watch, with plenty of offense, taking the fast break whenever available, with lots of motion - both with and without the ball, and agressive on defense and checking. That's why Cornell is at or near the top in scoring average.
[/q]
I think Tambroni made a conscious decision to open things up after the first few games of the season, and it's really paid off, in my opinion. Last year's team, for whatever reason, played Princeton's (actually Tierney's, I suppose) deliberate game, and, perhaps for that team, it made sense. Certainly it allowed us to stay in the game with Navy despite losing nearly every face-off.

What we've seen most of these past few weeks is much more like the lacrosse I remember from the 60s and 70s, when midfields changed on the fly not because the ball changed possession but because they were out of gas and needed the equivalent of a hockey line change. Someone on LaxPower commented that back then the game was played by the players, whereas recently it seems to be played more by the coaches--sort of as a chess game rather than an action game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2005 06:22PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: May 08, 2005 06:06PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

I think Tambroni made a conscience decision to open things up after the first few games of the season, and it's really paid off, in my opinion. Last year's team, for whatever reason, played Princeton's (actually Tierney's, I suppose) deliberate game, and, perhaps for that team, it made sense. Certainly it allowed us to stay in the game with Navy despite losing nearly every face-off.

What we've seen most of these past few weeks is much more like the lacrosse I remember from the 60s and 70s, when midfields changed on the fly not because the ball changed possession but because they were out of gas and needed the equivalent of a hockey line change. Someone on LaxPower commented that back then the game was played by the players, whereas recently it seems to be played more by the coaches--sort of as a chess game rather than an action game.[/q]

In addition, Cornell is playing a lot of players, which helps them keep up the tempo (and will help them next year when they return a lot of guys with experience).

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2005 07:04PM

The beauty of the game, particularly at the college level, is transcendent. What I mean by that is the most lovely and addictive parts of the sport shine through regardless of shifting styles of play, changing rules and such.

Whenever I take newbies to a game, they dig the speed and the shots and the hits and the goals and all that. But in my experience, what gets people hooked and begging for more -- and they always want more once they see a game -- are lacrosse's most basic acts: throwing and catching. The sight of a lacrosse ball thrown and caught, and then thrown and caught again, is so beautiful it hurts. That's why it's so satisfying to come early and watch warm-ups. I feel the same way about hockey's elemental act: skating.

I don't buy the argument that recent trends in the game's strategy or style have played any role in shrinking attendance. I've taken uninitiated folks to lacrosse games for years, even during Cornell's slowest, suckiest periods, and they all get hooked for life.

I can't explain the rate of decline in attendance at Schoellkopf. I'm tired of moaning about it. It's embarrassing, and I feel bad for the players.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2005 07:05PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: May 08, 2005 10:12PM

One thing with Cornell sports attendance in general is definitely the unfortunate number of study nerds who think they will not get good enough grades if they ever leave a library except for class, eating, and sleeping. However, despite being a very big sports fan, I saw many hockey, basketball, and football games but only one lacrosse game when I was in school. One reason was a lack of publicity and talk about the team and the sport. Another was that lacrosse is just not that common and is about the only sport that I knew almost nothing about. Even though it is a great sport, without someone to fill me on the rules I couldn't really tell what was going on. I am sure if I knew a lacrosse fan and/or the team had the success it does now I might have paid more attention, but I think that not many people attend because not many people know much about the sport itself. Maybe some of you knowledgable fans on campus or near Ithaca can help publicize the sport on campus next year. It might even be helpful to have free pamphlets with some of the basic rules available at games or just around campus in general.

Date: May 08, 2005 10:36PM

[Q]cth95 Wrote:
One thing with Cornell sports attendance in general is definitely the unfortunate number of study nerds who think they will not get good enough grades if they ever leave a library except for class, eating, and sleeping.[/q]
Amen. I can't count how many times I asked someone to a lacrosse, or football, or heck, even a hockey game, and got "nah, I gotta work." Bulls--t, you can take a break. The outdoors is nice too.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: May 08, 2005 11:16PM

Christ, people, can we stop piling on fellow students for having different priorities and/or time-management systems?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2005 11:26PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Christ, people, can we stop piling on fellow students for having different priorities and/or time-management systems?[/q]

I agree. If I wasn't in class or studying or in a lab or at Lynah I was probably at the Palms with friends.

stop bitching
Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2005 11:56PM

hey john,
last time i checked they haven't completely shredded the bill of rights … this is still a forum, no??? if you don’t like it, don’t read it.
lay off wtf

Re: stop bitching
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 12:08AM

[Q]ben03 Wrote: hey john,
last time i checked they haven't completely shredded the bill of rights … this is still a forum, no??? if you don’t like it, don’t read it.
lay off[/q]Yeah, they haven't done it yet. That's why John gets to say what he wants:-D . I happen to agree with him. We all have our own priorities. For some it means sports and wasting our time on this forum:-P , for others, who knows. The idea is to respect each person's, and to try and show them why yours is so much fun; not to just complain when they don't do what we do.

Re: stop bitching
Posted by: Ken '70 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 07:46AM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

ben03 Wrote: hey john,
lay off[/Q]
Yeah, they haven't done it yet. That's why John gets to say what he wants [/q]

Ahem, put a copy of the Bill of Rights in your pocket and next time there's a slow moment at a lacrosse game take a peak at it. Come on people, you're Cornellians, you're smarter than this.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 10:42AM

[Q]cth95 Wrote:
Another was that lacrosse is just not that common and is about the only sport that I knew almost nothing about.[/q]
You know more about squash, polo, fencing, equestrian, and crew than lacrosse? How is that possible?

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 11:45AM

Ok, I should have said one of the only relatively mainstream sports that I know almost nothing about (am actually learning a lot from these posts); i.e. never learned it in gym class like volleyball or badminton, for example, and it wasn't a common school sport or televised much like baseball, hockey, football, soccer, and basketball or even golf or tennis (which I have played at least a little of all of these). My main point is just that I don't think lacrosse gets a lot of publicity so it is not on people's minds and if they do hear about it they probably are not as familiar with the rules as they are with other sports so it is harder to follow and get into. I think it is a great sport and we are fortunate to have such a good team. That's why I thought maybe some of you with more knowledge could think of a way to generally expose and educate the students. By the way, I do know more about crew because I rowed as a freshman but unfortunately had to work in the other years.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: May 09, 2005 12:31PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:
You know more about squash, polo, fencing, equestrian, and crew than lacrosse? How is that possible?
[/q]

Little (sorority) sister on the team (plus friends from home that play), sorority sister on the team, kid down the freshman hall that went to Junior Olympics and let us play with his sword, many many friends from home that rode, and I rowed. Not too hard :-) Then again, there was also a lacrosse player across the hall, and my town's a lacrosse town, so I've got a very flimsy excuse.
I still agree with cth and say that better publicity towards the students would help.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: May 09, 2005 02:28PM

No proof to actually back any of this up, but a thought....

I'd imagine lacrosse also suffers a bit from the fact that its "hotbeds", Long Island and the Maryland/Baltimore, are regions in which pro sports -- no, not MLL, but the 4 major sports -- dominate the sports pages.

So either: a) You're not from a lacrosse region and therefore don't give a damn about lacrosse, or b) You're from a lacrosse region, but you're more concerned with why the Yankees are 12-18 than you are with your buddies' game on Friday afternoon, c) play it and care about it.

Maybe I'm generalizing too much on personal experience. For 18 years I lived 4 miles from Manhasset High School, and I never saw a minute of any lacrosse game anywhere until my days on the hill. Now I sit here thinking about planning trips to Maryland and/or Princeton and/or Philly for the next 3 weekends. Sometimes it just takes seeing a game...

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.ebnet.org)
Date: May 10, 2005 08:37AM

Being a parent of 4 active kids, I rarely attend collegiate sports. When they were younger and not involved with their own teams, we would frequently attend college football, basketball, and hockey games, and sometimes lacrosse. But now, we're overwhelmed with practices and games. Including coaching, practices, and training sessions, I've calculated that our family has about 450 sporting-event commitments in a year.

My point is that recreational and high school sports are now much more intense, and it's keeping would-be college sports fans away from games at their nearby campuses. That's the excuse I have for "townies" in college areas. I guess that's what I am when I attend Princeton and Rutgers events.

I have no clue why college students are so apathetic. Lacrosse in April or May? Football in September and October? My friends and I missed very few football and lacrosse games when we were on the hill in the early 80s. I remember lax attendance at around 3,000-4,000 per game. We also saw a lot of hockey and basketball. Oh well.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 09:18AM

[Q]Scott Kominkiewicz Wrote:
I have no clue why college students are so apathetic. Lacrosse in April or May? Football in September and October? My friends and I missed very few football and lacrosse games when we were on the hill in the early 80s. I remember lax attendance at around 3,000-4,000 per game. We also saw a lot of hockey and basketball. Oh well.[/q]
That's the way it was in the 60s, too, Scott. Football games were a big social event. You gave 'em a CUAA book coupon and got in. Lax was less well-attended until Ned took over the team in 1966 (but Lower Alumni Field couldn't hold 3-4,000, and never had to). Ditto hockey until 1963-4 (except for Harvard and one Michigan game), shortly after which you had to queue up at Lynah's doors to get a spot inside. (Fraternities moved up dinner times so you could get to Lynah by 6:30 for an 8pm game.) Large crowds even went down to the west shore of the lake (not the inlet; races were two-miles in those days) for crew events, where Cornell excelled. Very large crowds came to Barton for basketball games--literally packed to the rafters for Bill Bradley. The indoor Heps were always a sell-out.

I guess times change. Wrestling seems to be drawing well in their new home. National-level success certainly helps.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: May 10, 2005 10:03AM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote: Attendance at Cornell games has declined much more rapidly then attendance at all other Ivy schools, with the exception of Pennsylvania. Cornell had only one 1,000+ home crowd all year -- the Princeton game seen above (I don't know how attendance was tonight against Hobart). Otherwise less than 500 people showed up per game. Cornell has been passed by the likes of Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, and Harvard when it comes to lax attendance. That steams me, because it's happening at a time when the team is playing at a sustained high level.[/q]
With last weekend's games in the books, the final attendance numbers are in for intraconference games... and the results are staggeringly bad. I see I wasn't quite right about which Ivy schools had passed Cornell in average home Ivy attendance. And, of course, the sample size -- 3 games -- is small. But using league games as a measure at least filters out teams' highly variable interconference schedules. Check it out:

Average home attendance per intraconference men's lacrosse game
1. Princeton: 1,650
2. Dartmouth: 1,627
3. Yale: 1,308
4. Brown: 1,125
5. Cornell: 701
6. Harvard: 609
7. Pennsylvania: 329

[Source: ivyleaguesports.com]

Kudos especially to Dartmouth, Yale and Brown fans. Yale drew more than 2,000 people for the Cornell game -- in chilly March no less, before anyone had a clue that Yale would be competitive or that Cornell would be a force.

I had always wondered what it felt like to be a Harvard hockey fan -- loving a particular sport (a sport that had deep cultural ties with the institution's region); knowing that the team was a national power with a roster loaded with genuine stars; and yet seeing students and the community fail to turn out in commensurate numbers except for the biggest games. Now I know how it feels. And it sucks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2005 10:04AM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login