Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] Baseball

Posted by JimmyBob 
[OT] Baseball
Posted by: JimmyBob (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2005 02:09PM

Cornell baseball just won their first ever Gehrig division title!!!! That means they will play the winner of the Rolfe division for the Ivy League championship and a trip to the NCAA tournament. The most likely Rolfe division champ is Harvard and we'd have to go to their field to play the best of 3 series. LET'S GO RED!!!!

Re: [OT] Baseball
Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 03:17PM

Just wondering...when did they last win the Ivy title?

Posted by: JimmyBob (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2005 03:23PM

According to ivyleaguesports.com Cornell last won the ivy league championship in 1977

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 03:34PM

thanks.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 04:12PM

Harvard just rallied from 7-3 down to beat Dartmouth 9-8 in Game 1 of their doubleheader today. Brown beat Yale in Game 1 and combined with the fact that yesterday's doubleheader between Dartmouth and Harvard at Dartmouth was washed out and will be made up tomorrow, Brown still has a shot at the Rolfe division title and we may not know where Cornell will play for the championship till tomorrow. A Harvard win and Brown loss in their second games today would send Cornell to Harvard.

Still this is another example of an off-year for Princeton who had won the previous 9 Gehrig division titles (still impressive even with only four teams in the division).

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 07:38PM

Harvard rallied from 7-1 down to take the afternooncap 11-10. Brown also won their second game. The Rolfe division is still up in the air with Harvard needing to take one of two from Dartmouth tomorrow to win the division. If so, it's best 2 out of 3 next weekend (2 Saturday, 1 Sunday if necessary) at Harvard for the Ivy title. If Dartmouth should sweep, I believe there would be a one-game playoff between Harvard and Brown at some point this week.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 01:21PM

[Q]Tom Pasniewski 98 Wrote:

Harvard rallied from 7-1 down to take the afternooncap 11-10. Brown also won their second game. The Rolfe division is still up in the air with Harvard needing to take one of two from Dartmouth tomorrow to win the division. If so, it's best 2 out of 3 next weekend (2 Saturday, 1 Sunday if necessary) at Harvard for the Ivy title. If Dartmouth should sweep, I believe there would be a one-game playoff between Harvard and Brown at some point this week. [/q]Would Cornell host if we end up playing Brown?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 01:25PM

Does 2004-05 seem to anybody else to be a remarkable year for Cornell sports? It seems like they are at/near the top in... damn near everything.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 01:32PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:
Would Cornell host if we end up playing Brown?[/q]
No, the games will be at either Harvard or Brown. Both have much better records than Cornell (14-4 and 14-6 vs. 11-9) and I suspect that's the determining factor.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: May 02, 2005 01:33PM

Yes. And it makes me happy :-D

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: May 02, 2005 04:21PM

Harvard over Dartmouth 10-6 in Game 1 of their doubleheader in Hanover today sends Cornell (11-9 Ivy) to Harvard (15-4 Ivy) for the championship series next weekend. Harvard took two from Cornell earlier this season and was 7-1 against the Gehrig Division overall.

Posted by: ugarte (---.axiomlegal.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 05:12PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

ugarte Wrote:
Would Cornell host if we end up playing Brown?[/Q]
No, the games will be at either Harvard or Brown. Both have much better records than Cornell (14-4 and 14-6 vs. 11-9) and I suspect that's the determining factor.[/q]I probably should have looked that up myself...

Thanks Al.

"Remarkable year" = dead last 7 times!
Posted by: NTR (---.equityresources.com)
Date: May 04, 2005 06:06PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Does 2004-05 seem to anybody else to be a remarkable year for Cornell sports? It seems like they are at/near the top in... damn near everything.[/q]
That just shows how selective, and faulty, even short-term memory can be- ;-)

Cornell has won, I believe, 5 Ivy titles this year :`( (volleyball, wrestling, men's lax, women's track, and one that really hurt)-

but has finished DEAD LAST a remarkable 7 times! :-) (men's soccer and women's field hockey, basketball, fencing, ICE HOCKEY, squash, and tennis).

Harvard, by contrast, has won 11 titles and counting :-D (far too many for me to list here...)

and has only been last once (women's lax).

The record for titles, IIRC, is Pton with 14 - doubtful, but still within reach, for Harvard this year.

Re: "Remarkable year" = dead last 7 times!
Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 04, 2005 07:06PM

[Q]NTR Wrote:
Cornell has won, I believe, 5 Ivy titles this year (volleyball, wrestling, men's lax, women's track, and one that really hurt)- [/q]

Cornell swept the indoor Heps so that would make 6 titles.

[ivyleaguesports.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 04, 2005 07:18PM

I'll gladly be selective and remember the "one that really hurt" as definitive of a really successful sports year for Cornell!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: May 04, 2005 08:03PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
I'll gladly be selective and remember the "one that really hurt" as definitive of a really successful sports year for Cornell![/q]Now come on, we've all recognized for years that while the Ivy title in hockey is nice, winning the ECAC is the real thing. How'd we do in that, again? :D

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2005 10:36PM

[Q]NTR Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

Does 2004-05 seem to anybody else to be a remarkable year for Cornell sports? It seems like they are at/near the top in... damn near everything.[/Q]
That just shows how selective, and faulty, even short-term memory can be-

Cornell has won, I believe, 5 Ivy titles this year [/q]

I'm thinking more along the lines of a top-5 finish nationally in wrestling, with one individual national champ; a top-5 finish nationally in hockey, with one OT goal keeping them from Columbus; a national championship in Men's polo; a second place finish in women's polo; a top-5 ranking (currently) in lax, with a team that could make a serious run at Philly...add a much improved football team and a basketball team that swept Princeton for the first time in 20 years and, yeah, it feels like a pretty good year.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2005 10:58PM

[Q]NTR Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

Does 2004-05 seem to anybody else to be a remarkable year for Cornell sports? It seems like they are at/near the top in... damn near everything.[/Q]

Cornell has won, I believe, 5 Ivy titles this year (volleyball, wrestling, men's lax, women's track, and one that really hurt)-

but has finished DEAD LAST a remarkable 7 times! (men's soccer and women's field hockey, basketball, fencing, ICE HOCKEY, squash, and tennis).

Harvard, by contrast, has won 11 titles and counting (far too many for me to list here...) [/q]
Translation: [Q]Well, my daddy has an even bigger car.[/q]
Of course our memory is selective. That's human nature. The sense that Cornell is having a remarkable year, relatively speaking, isn't just the product of championships. We've been doing much better than expected in several high-visibility sports -- not to mention having some unexpected national success in a few sports that matter a great deal to us, such as men's lacrosse. Example of the former: When the football team and the men's basketball play well after many, many miserable years and end up finishing second in the league, the net effect is much greater (feelgoodwise, dollarwise, good-vibes-rubbing-off-on-other-sports-wise, whatever) than, say, when Princeton wins yet another women's swimming title.

I look forward to catching the excitement of all those Harvard championships at eBeren and eMurr.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2005 11:01PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Date: May 06, 2005 12:49PM

The Championship Series has been moved to Monday and Tuesday, the 9th and 10th, at Harvard due to a very stormy forecast for the Boston area this weekend.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: May 06, 2005 06:34PM

[Q]NTR Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

Cornell has won, I believe, 5 Ivy titles this year (volleyball, wrestling, men's lax, women's track, and one that really hurt)-

but has finished DEAD LAST a remarkable 7 times! (men's soccer and women's field hockey, basketball, fencing, ICE HOCKEY, squash, and tennis).

Harvard, by contrast, has won 11 titles and counting (far too many for me to list here...)

and has only been last once (women's lax).

The record for titles, IIRC, is Pton with 14 - doubtful, but still within reach, for Harvard this year. [/q]

Ice hockey? You mean women's? And you forgot the men's, thanks to a certain team losing to Dartmouth.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 09:13PM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:
Ice hockey? You mean women's? And you forgot the men's, thanks to a certain team losing to Dartmouth.[/q]

That was "the one that really hurt".

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: May 07, 2005 02:36AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

French Rage Wrote:
Ice hockey? You mean women's? And you forgot the men's, thanks to a certain team losing to Dartmouth.[/Q]
That was "the one that really hurt".[/q]

Oh, I thought he meant women's track really hurt, which I found a bit odd. Well, at least I got to pour salt on the wound. :-D

Date: May 08, 2005 10:11PM

Cornell swept the outdoor Heps which makes 8 Ivy titles on the season and the most ever according to the Cornell site.

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2005 10:13PM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

Cornell swept the outdoor Heps which makes 8 Ivy titles on the season and the most ever according to the Cornell site.
[/q]
With Harvard, appropriately, last in both the men's and women's competitions.

Date: May 08, 2005 11:24PM

[Q]NTR Wrote:
Harvard, by contrast, . . . has only been last once (women's lax).
[/q]

The Harvard women were dead last at the indoor Heps. The Harvard men were last in cross country. With the outdoor Heps today that makes five last place finishes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2005 01:15AM by nyc94.

Date: May 09, 2005 02:39PM

Game 1 of Best of 3 ILCS:

Harvard 2

Cornell 0 (Final)

Cornell has only given up 7 runs in 25 innings against Harvard this season but has no wins to show for it. Game 2 underway in 30 minutes.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 03:09PM

Game 2 audio on: [www.whrb.org]

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 04:59PM

And Game 2 just ended, 4-2 Harvard. Harvard sweeps the day, winning the championship. The Cornell starter had a great outing, but it wasn't enough.

All you really missed if you didn't tune in were the snide jokes about how the 4th best team in the league got to play Harvard for the Championship.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2005 05:09PM by RichH.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login