Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lynah

Posted by Mike 
Lynah
Posted by: Mike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 03:27PM

Anybody know when the renovation of lynah rink is going to start. Is it this off-season or next.

My input on the renovation is dont do it. Lynah rink has tradition. I think if we try to make it look like a western style rink with box seats and everything it will take away from the atmosphere.

Re: Lynah
Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 04:00PM

the proposed renovation will leave the bowl intact with the mass of the work being done outside the exsisting walls of the rink. it will not look anythin like a "western box" and the tradition will remain unharmed.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 30, 2005 04:06PM

starts in January '06 to be done by September '06

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 04:51PM

From what I've heard about the proposed renovations I don't particularly like 'em, but then I never had a problem with the walkways, concession stands (never boght anything but programs) or bathrooms and I don't see the need for a lobby. But I also don't see anything to complain about if the seating and rink are staying the same.

Posted by: Molly (129.43.32.---)
Date: March 30, 2005 05:05PM

What exactly are these proposed renovations?

Date: March 30, 2005 05:07PM

They are not proposed anymore. They are now finalized as far as I know.

Date: March 30, 2005 05:10PM

Hmm, let me rephrase my question--what do the renovations entail?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 05:42PM

I spoke to a member of the Hockey Assn. out in Minneapolis this weekend. Some of what she described as being in the plans:

- Building the new training & locker rooms and offices to the south of section B, C, D, E (towards Schoellkopf). These will be connected to the ice by an underground passage.
- Team benches will be on the opposite side of the rink from each other. Not sure where the penalty boxes end up.
- Add an outer covered passageway around the rink using the existing exit doors for access, ala Baker Rink at Princeton. Use the extra space made available at the top of the rink (now used for walkways) for "corporate boxes."
- Move the pressbox to the end of the ice where the scoreboard is now. Shift the scorebord to the side.
- Return section C to the students.

The net effect is the addition of 500-600 seats. Anybody else who's actually seen the plans please feel free to correct any errors.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2005 06:01PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: March 30, 2005 05:49PM

also, 4-5 more rows at the top of each section and luxury boxes at the top on the townie side.

Date: March 30, 2005 06:19PM

[q]- Team benches will be on the opposite side of the rink from each other. Not sure where the penalty boxes end up. [/q]Eeewwwwww. I absolutely hate this idea and have criticized it numerous times when I've seen it at other rinks. The problem is the penalty boxes end up on the side of the home bencj, giving the home team an advantage in getting the right personnel on the ice after a penalty expires. It's probably not a huge deal most of the time, but it is unfair.

In this case the change might only be motivated by the underground passage from the locker room. Much harder to connect the south side of the rink to benches on the north side. But if I were going to do this I'd move both benches to the south side.

So much for having nothing to complain about. Hadn't heard this bit (or realized the implications).

Besides, this change would mean that we'd no longer be provided with the spectacle of Schafer, et al. sliding across the fresh ice at the start of periods. Boo!

Based on Ari's timetable I assume they'll start the external work first (building the walkway, maybe locker rooms and offices) and wait until the off season to do the stuff inside the rink (stands, press box, benches). Six months to get that stuff done. I wonder if that means no hockey camps or ice in the summer of '06 or if kids can skate while work is going on?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 06:24PM

If you do the external work first, that means you're doing it in the heart of winter. I guess there's no good way of doing this.

Whatever the hell they do with C, the only way they're getting my seat is to pry it from my cold, dead buttcheeks. I don't mind (actually, I would prefer) being surrounded by students.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 06:33PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Whatever the hell they do with C, the only way they're getting my seat is to pry it from my cold, dead buttcheeks.[/q]

Given that they are the one who actually issues the tickets at the beginning of each season, and knowing how the ushers work, I imagine they're going to get your seat a lot more easily than that.

Date: March 30, 2005 06:38PM

That brings up a question. If they return section C to the students will they put back the plain wooden benches? Or would C retain the separate "seats"? Which would be strange unless they (*cringe*) put them everywhere.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2005 06:38PM by KeithK.

Increased Capacity
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 06:42PM

It's funny that these renovations will begin one year after Cornell got shipped to a regional on the opponent's home ice. If I'm not mistaken, since the switch to 4 regionals from 2, the seating minimun was lowered to 4,000. These renovations will push the capacity to ~4,300.

No that I'm a fan of home ice regionals, but any chance Cornell starts bidding for a lynah regional now (however unlikely it is that the NCAA would award it)?

Re: Increased Capacity
Date: March 30, 2005 06:48PM

so you'd have to give ~900 tickets to the three other participating teams leaving ~3,400 seats for the Faithful. that said, i am 100% opposed to hosting a regional in any on campus rink after this weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2005 06:48PM by ben03.

Locker Rooms
Posted by: nyiballs (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 07:06PM

I am very hopeful that the club team will have its own locker room after all is said and done. But doubtful.

Re: Locker Rooms
Date: March 30, 2005 07:16PM

The current layout has locker room space for the men's and women's teams plus the visitor's locker rooms on the west end. Moving the locker rooms opens up a lot of space at the west end of the building, but the new pressbox and facilities might end up using much of this.

Anyone know whether the women's locker rooms will also move to the new south end?

Posted by: gobigred24 (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 07:22PM

Would they dare put the opposing bench on the South Side?? That would be asking for trouble, I think. who knows where fish would end up. The townies are great fans, don't get me wrong, but you could have drunk students going into the visiting bench. would be interesting, at any rate :)

Date: March 30, 2005 07:27PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

The current layout has locker room space for the men's and women's teams plus the visitor's locker rooms on the west end. Moving the locker rooms opens up a lot of space at the west end of the building, but the new pressbox and facilities might end up using much of this.

Anyone know whether the women's locker rooms will also move to the new south end?[/q]
from what i understand the south side addition will accommodate both men's and women's locker rooms. the current visitor/men's/women's locker rooms on the west end will stay as they are but be used for visiting team(s) (possibly tournaments?).

Date: March 30, 2005 07:36PM

That's what I figured. I still hate the idea of losing the wonderful visitors locker rooms *shakes head sadly*.

Date: March 30, 2005 07:55PM

nothing saying we --have-- to give them one of the nicer ones :-}

Date: March 30, 2005 08:20PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

nothing saying we --have-- to give them one of the nicer ones[/q]I can just see it now. "Sorry Mr. Donato, you still have to use those rooms. BWAHAHAHAHA"

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:25PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:

nothing saying we --have-- to give them one of the nicer ones[/Q]
I can just see it now. "Sorry Mr. Donato, you still have to use those rooms. BWAHAHAHAHA"
[/q]
Clearly for Harvard they should put "closed for renovations" signs on all the other locker rooms and make them stand outside during intermissions.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:35PM

All in all, I think the renovations sound great: preserve most of the existing structure (including the low roof), increase capacity a modest amount, and give our guys better facilities. Sounds win-win. I don't care much about the benches being on opposite sides of the rink, FWIW, so that criticism does nothing for me.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:45PM

"Luxury box" is in the eyes of the beholder. Padded leather chairs? Carpeted floor? Bathroom? Closed circuit TV? Bartender? Waitress service? Sliding windows if the noise gets too much? That's a luxury box.

Bet they're more boxes than luxury boxes.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:53PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

the penalty boxes end up on the side of the home bencj, giving the home team an advantage in getting the right personnel on the ice after a penalty expires.[/q]
As I understand it, this is precisely why Schafer wants it. I don't like it either, FWIW.

Posted by: Free11Skier (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 30, 2005 09:22PM

Giving C back to the students is quite appealing. As a first year resident in D, I was dissapointed by the level of enthusiasm at that end. It's not bad, but it could be much better. Five continuous sections of standing students will be more intimidating than the current setup and allow for more people to join in on individual cheers.

I'm all for it!

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 30, 2005 09:51PM

[Q]Free11Skier Wrote:

Giving C back to the students is quite appealing. As a first year resident in D, I was dissapointed by the level of enthusiasm at that end. It's not bad, but it could be much better. Five continuous sections of standing students will be more intimidating than the current setup and allow for more people to join in on individual cheers.

I'm all for it![/q]

And maybe it will enable D and E to stay on beat with the rest of the arena during the cowbell, etc.

Posted by: DKmathteacher (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 30, 2005 09:56PM

I'd say D, E, and F are far better in keeping with the beats compared to G. I was so tempted to bring in BIG flippers or something to "conduct" the section myself.

Posted by: Andy (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 10:00PM

Giving C to the students is a good idea, it will be more cohesive that way, its always hard to tell what people at the other end are saying/cheering. I also like opponent bench on the student side, because well, it won't make things any easier, especially during a timeout.

What we really need to expand in lynah are the rafters. If I recall there's only room for one more banner, and we came out with 3 this year.

Posted by: jlewis (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 30, 2005 10:06PM

Or just say that they're the club locker rooms, and you get that one, uggg, I almost feel bad for those visiting teams

or we could designate them the mens and womens bear changing rooms...

Posted by: nr53 (---.ece.cornell.edu)
Date: March 30, 2005 10:11PM

I have to say, having had seats in both E and G, that each section gets off the beat as often as the other, but at least in section G we can see how the folks are doing it correctly in sections A and B and try to correct ourselves... not our fault some people just don't have any rythm rolleyes

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 10:23PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
the only way they're getting my seat is to pry it from my cold, dead buttcheeks.[/q]

Y'know, I don't think that's a mental image any of us needed.
uhoh

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 10:23PM

[Q]Andy Wrote:

If I recall there's only room for one more banner, and we came out with 3 this year.[/q]

It might be time to start thinking about consolidating some of the banners -- I'd like to see banners for NCAA second place finishes & Frozen Four appearances hanging as well.

And please fix the one broken banner hanging above section O.

Date: March 30, 2005 10:57PM

Yes, but apparently not all of us have good hand-eye coordination. uhoh

Nonetheless, we grad students do try. I have to understand that not all of us are born with great rhythm.

Date: March 30, 2005 10:57PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

Andy Wrote:

If I recall there's only room for one more banner, and we came out with 3 this year.[/Q]
It might be time to start thinking about consolidating some of the banners -- I'd like to see banners for NCAA second place finishes & Frozen Four appearances hanging as well.[/q]

Ick. I'd rather get rid of the NCAA Tournament banners and stick to Ivy, ECAC, and NCAA championships. Maybe include Frozen Four appearances.

Posted by: strixvaria (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:08PM

Would putting the band in C help the rhythm problems? Or would the band stage a coup? It would put them too close to the press box now, but if they're moving that to the west end, it might work.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:13PM

[Q]strixvaria Wrote:

Would putting the band in C help the rhythm problems? Or would the band stage a coup? It would put them too close to the press box now, but if they're moving that to the west end, it might work.[/q]

That's not a bad idea at all. I know more students would also appreciate being closer to the band.

Kyle

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:14PM

[Q]strixvaria Wrote:

Would putting the band in C help the rhythm problems? Or would the band stage a coup? It would put them too close to the press box now, but if they're moving that to the west end, it might work.[/q]
I have never seen any rink that put the band at center ice. Personally, I'd love it for the view of the game we'd get, but there's got to be some reason bands always get stuck in the corner... probably noise control. Also, if the home bench does end up on the student side, it's possible we might have to refrain from playing Gary Glitter over timeouts due to the noise level if we're in C.

Posted by: Andy (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:15PM

While I'll agree that with the 16 team tournament, a tourney appearance banner is a little much, this pales in comparison to banners at Colgate. A friend and I made the trip up there for the first time this year and they have banners for everything imaginable, which still amounts to not very much. If I recall they have one for ECAC final four and final five, 3rd place, all that stuff, and it still only covers the higest point in Starr. Having not travelled extensively, is this the norm around the ECAC or is Colgate just "special"?

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:15PM

[Q]strixvaria Wrote:

I really doubt Schafer would want the band right behind his bench if the bench is on the student side.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:54PM

Yea, I've been thinking that too. A team with Cornell's history doesn't need to hang a banner everytime we play in the NCAA tournament.

Date: March 30, 2005 11:58PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

Yea, I've been thinking that too. A team with Cornell's history doesn't need to hang a banner everytime we play in the NCAA tournament.[/q]

Perhaps, but I think it should still be noted within the rink, like keeping the NCAA Tournament listing on the wall.

Date: March 31, 2005 12:00AM

Colgate is special. They are better than Crest. Just brushed my teeth with Colgate. Ahhh.

Posted by: Rob NH (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 12:03AM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

It's funny that these renovations will begin one year after Cornell got shipped to a regional on the opponent's home ice. If I'm not mistaken, since the switch to 4 regionals from 2, the seating minimun was lowered to 4,000. These renovations will push the capacity to ~4,300.

No that I'm a fan of home ice regionals, but any chance Cornell starts bidding for a lynah regional now (however unlikely it is that the NCAA would award it)? [/q]
The capacity of those recently awarded in the East is 8,000+, so I doubt it.

Pepsi Arena (Albany): 14,115
DCU Center/Worcester Centrum (Worcester): 12,517
Blue Cross Arena (Rochester): 11,215
Verizon Wireless Arena (Manchester): 10,019
Mullins Center (Amherst): 8,389

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 12:52AM

Re: the band. The band is in A because it's close to the visiting teams locker room. (Told that by Schafer back in the days of his assistantship) Made it very hard to hear in the visiting locker room evidently

I'd bet they put the bacn in whatever position they find the most advantageous (in whatever way they find advantageous.....)

Arik

Posted by: Pace (209.2.88.---)
Date: March 31, 2005 05:38AM

I too really doubt that it could ever happen, but damn would that be awesome! Unfair too, but hey, we deserve revenge. Ideally they'd send Minny to us. But this is all wishful thinking really.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 08:05AM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:

the penalty boxes end up on the side of the home bencj, giving the home team an advantage in getting the right personnel on the ice after a penalty expires.[/Q]
As I understand it, this is precisely why Schafer wants it. I don't like it either, FWIW.[/q]

Of the two formats, having the benches on opposite sides of the ice is the design recommended by the NCAA.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 09:05AM

I'm all for creating the "short skate / long skate" home advantage, but I'm shocked the NCAA will let a team *change* to that. Grandfathering in an old structure I could see (i.e, the old Gahden, which gave the Bruins a unique home advantage for decades).

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 31, 2005 09:21AM

[Q]Andy Wrote:

While I'll agree that with the 16 team tournament, a tourney appearance banner is a little much, this pales in comparison to banners at Colgate. A friend and I made the trip up there for the first time this year and they have banners for everything imaginable, which still amounts to not very much. If I recall they have one for ECAC final four and final five, 3rd place, all that stuff, and it still only covers the higest point in Starr. Having not travelled extensively, is this the norm around the ECAC or is Colgate just "special"?[/q]
RPI has six banners plus one towel. The six banners are for two NCAA Championships, three ECAC Tourney championship, and one Women's Club championship. Then there is what looks like a towel honoring Adam Oates that hangs from the 1985 NCAA banner.

Date: March 31, 2005 10:20AM

Ralph, is Oates' number retired?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 31, 2005 11:45AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Ralph, is Oates' number retired?[/q]

No, thankfully. RPI put up that banner for Oates as the first player on the Wall of Honor (or some such name). I think that RPI will be similarly honoring one former player every year on Black Friday. Next season, that will apparently be the Quinnipiac game on 11/11. It wouldn't surprise me if the next one so honored will be Joé Juneau.

Oates' number, 12, is currently being worn by Kevin Croxton.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: March 31, 2005 11:50AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

mjh89 Wrote:

Yea, I've been thinking that too. A team with Cornell's history doesn't need to hang a banner everytime we play in the NCAA tournament.[/Q]

Perhaps, but I think it should still be noted within the rink, like keeping the NCAA Tournament listing on the wall.[/q]

Absolutely. The more I think about second place NCAA banners the more "eh" I get. I do, however, think that Frozen Four banners should fly. What are there 8 or 9?

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 11:56AM

[Q]Free11Skier Wrote:

I'm all for it![/q]

I agree. I think today's fans are great, and I know I'm biased, but I think Lynah was even more intimidating 20 years ago than it is today. Part of it was that we could say anything we wanted, but I think an even bigger part of it was that Section C was a student section, which kept cheers unified.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 12:03PM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:
Oates' number, 12, is currently being worn by Kevin Croxton.[/q]Is he out of that slump yet? :-D

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 31, 2005 12:16PM

[Q]Greenberg '97 Wrote:

Of the two formats, having the benches on opposite sides of the ice is the design recommended by the NCAA.[/q]

Wow, that's really dumb. Of course, the NCAA didn't even know that olympic ice was recommended, so...

Date: March 31, 2005 12:28PM

[q]I have never seen any rink that put the band at center ice. Personally, I'd love it for the view of the game we'd get, but there's got to be some reason bands always get stuck in the corner... probably noise control.[/q]How about the fact that (home) bands get in free? Give the freebies the cheap seats and save the good ones for the paying customers?

(No offense intended here - this just seems to make good business sense.)

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 12:59PM

Changing an existing structure to create an advantage is "gamesmanship" of the lowest order and should be expressly forbidden at ALL rinks.

Date: March 31, 2005 01:01PM

I don't want a regional at Lynah. I could handle one at Rochester or Syracuse, but it's not fair to have home ice for the NC$$ tourney. I don't want us lowering ourselves to Minnesota's level.

Date: March 31, 2005 01:06PM

They had "NCAA Runner-Up" banners hanging at Mariucci. I thought they looked weak. Kind of like saying "Me too!"

Date: March 31, 2005 01:11PM

Changing an existing structure to allow for expansion, that unfortunately forces an advantage is quite acceptable, especially if that advantage is not universally accepted by the community.

I can live with myself. How 'bout the rest of you?

[Q]Changing an existing structure to create an advantage is "gamesmanship" of the lowest order and should be expressly forbidden at ALL rinks.[/q]Yes. But unfortunately I doubt it is.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

They had "NCAA Runner-Up" banners hanging at Mariucci. I thought they looked weak. Kind of like saying "Me too!"[/q]

Or is it, "me, two" :-D

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:12PM

Rich has a point. The NCAA could decree that if a college spends more than say 10% of the value of the rink on renovations that includes the home team locker rooms (and other work) then it has to allocate X square feet for the visitors with Y many showers, a bench for a skate sharpener, telephone, internet connection (that works), etcetera. This wouldn't remove the home ice advantage, not by a long shot, but it would level the, so to speak, playing field ever so slightly.

It's kind of fun to hear about how coaches in days of old would turn up the heat to 90 degrees in the visitor locker room but it's also borderline unfair. We've just spent the last five days discussing some of the unfairnesses of Mariucci.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:18PM

Yeah, I actually do mostly agree with Rich here. I don't know about "the lowest order", that's pretty damn harsh. But I think Cornell has plenty of a home ice advantage and doesn't need to worry about getting anymore. And I've just never liked rinks with opposite benches - no reason to suck ever bit of advantage out of home, there's already enough.

I could "live with it", but I'd never like it.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:21PM

I at least hope there is going to be glass between the penalty box and our bench. Harvard's setup is ridiculous where the home "penalty box" is actually just an extension of their bench with a different door. I think that at least should be banned from college hockey.

Date: March 31, 2005 01:22PM

[Q]Greenberg '97 Wrote:

Of the two formats, having the benches on opposite sides of the ice is the design recommended by the NCAA.[/q]I don't know where you see this. Rule 1, Section 9 a. "Players' Bench" (2005 edition) states: Benches may be situated on opposite sides or on the same side of the rink, in which case the two teams should be separated by a substantial distance." I don't see anything recommending either layout in this section. (To be honest I thought there was a recommendation in the book for the same side layout but maybe that was in an older version of the rules?)

If there were a gamesmanship rule Cornell could probably circumvent it based on the following statement (same section as before): "The benches should be placed... conveinent to the dressing rooms." Clearly the current design isn't convienent to dressing rooms and the proposed renovations would do so, at least for the Cornell side.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:23PM

[Q]Mike Wrote:

Anybody know when the renovation of lynah rink is going to start. Is it this off-season or next.

My input on the renovation is dont do it. Lynah rink has tradition. I think if we try to make it look like a western style rink with box seats and everything it will take away from the atmosphere.[/q]

And don't forget those unwashed masses who can't get into today's rink, because there aren't enough seats. :-/ What is this sacred icon Lynah has become? The atmosphere and tradition come from the team and the fans in the building, not the building itself!

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:26PM

The solarium/walkway around the outside of Princeton's Hobey Baker are fine. You get used to it. It's one more way to expand a rink without tearing down the rink.

Date: March 31, 2005 01:29PM

[q]The atmosphere and tradition come from the team and the fans in the building, not the building itself![/q]Yes, but the building contributes. Anyone who has been to both Cheel Arena and Walker knows that the facility makes a difference in the atmosphere.

Date: March 31, 2005 01:36PM

Yeah, the building contributes, no doubt, but I don't see how any proposed renovations would effect that. The rink structure itself would be identical, but some extra seats up top, and a walkway beyond that you could maybe actually... walk in! :-O

The character of Lynah is critical, but I don't see how the details are.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 03:37PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

The character of Lynah is critical, but I don't see how the details are.[/q]
Agreed, strongly. I'd personally like the walkways at the top to be more than 3 feet wide, as I'm sure the IFD would as well. :) As long as the low roof is kept intact, the sight lines preserved, and the student section seating remains benches (as opposed to seats), it sounds great to me, especially since the student section will be reunited. Finally!

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: March 31, 2005 03:43PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

mjh89 Wrote:

Yea, I've been thinking that too. A team with Cornell's history doesn't need to hang a banner everytime we play in the NCAA tournament.[/Q]
Perhaps, but I think it should still be noted within the rink, like keeping the NCAA Tournament listing on the wall.[/q]

How about we modify the NCAA tournament banner to say how far we got, i.e.,

1967: Champions
1968: 3rd Place
1969: Finalists
1970: Champions
1972: Finalists
1973: Fourth Place
1980: Fourth Place
1981: Quarterfinalists
1986: Quarterfinalsts
1997: Quarterfinalists
2002: Quarterfinalists
2003: Semifinalists
2004: Quarterfinalists

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 03:43PM

I think they should do it that way just so Rich gets annoyed when he visits Lynah. ;-)

Date: March 31, 2005 04:00PM

I think that condensing all the NCAA appearances onto one banner would would sort of detract from the championship years buried in the list. Another option is to do something similar to the TBRW front page, where finishes are listed by year on separate banners.

Personally, I'm a minimalist--Ivy, ECAC, NCAA championship banners do credit to Cornell's history while avoiding "banner craziness".

Date: March 31, 2005 04:16PM

[Q]Molly Wrote:

I think that condensing all the NCAA appearances onto one banner would would sort of detract from the championship years buried in the list. Another option is to do something similar to the TBRW front page, where finishes are listed by year on separate banners.
[/q]

I meant in addition to the banners in the rafters for Ivy, ECAC, and NCAA titles (the last off which should be decorated somehow to make them stand out like they used to when they were the only red ones), and the Ivy, ECAC, and NCAA championship summary banners at the end of the rink. This would replace the current NCAA tournament summary banner on the wall and the individual NCAA tournament banners in the rafters.

Posted by: Free11Skier (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2005 04:46PM

Section C is the Berlin Wall of college hockey.

Date: March 31, 2005 04:46PM

Hey guys, I enjoy my visits to Lynah. Even seeing people throw stuff at Tech fans or spit on them as I did back in '97 doesn't keep me from coming back.

I only get annoyed when I see my team lose...and that's the reaction any visiting fan should have at any rink, eh? I know I saw it pretty often at Clarkson Arena.

Re: Lynah advantage
Date: March 31, 2005 04:49PM

How does expanding the rink's capacity force the penalty box to be situated to give the home team an advantage that ius distinctly unfair?

Maybe cornell should hire an RPI or Clarkson engineer for this project.

Date: March 31, 2005 05:21PM

It doesn't. What does it adding facilities (locker rooms, etc) to the south (on the current side of the penalty boxes. Then adding and underground passage into the rink, which would likely empty into the south side.

Well, okay, it definitely doesn't necessitate it (as I and others oppose it), but it does provide a convenient excuse to put a bench closer to the new entrance. Now, you could move both benches, but that would be more expensive and eliminate your perfectly good excuse to give your team extra advantage.

As I said, I don't like it, but I certainly see how it could be a 'convenient' element of the overall renovation.

Date: March 31, 2005 05:24PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

How does expanding the rink's capacity force the penalty box to be situated to give the home team an advantage that ius distinctly unfair?

Maybe cornell should hire an RPI or Clarkson engineer for this project.[/q]
RichS, the plans include moving the locker rooms for the cornell men's/women's teams to the south side of the rink (currently a parking lot). the teams would enter somewhere around section C (probably the isles of B-C/C-D). this would in fact be in keeping with the NCAA rules facilitating benches be conveniently located to locker rooms. this relocation of the locker rooms would move the home bench to the south side (which already houses the penalty boxes), hence the split benches.

this is no more unfair than Jack Parker building a new rink (Agganis) with split benches or Red Bereneson refusing to play outside the state of michigan. it is Mike Schafer's job to give his player the best chance to win. if that means splitting the benches, then so be it. we don't have to like it and neither do you. fact of the matter is, they're going to do what they're going to do and we'll just have to deal with the result. :-P

as for an rpi or clarkson engineer to run the project ... i have it on good authority cornell has an engineering school. chances are they can find one there. :-}

Date: March 31, 2005 05:28PM

Not to mention the fact that the details we are talking about fall under the scope of Architecture, not Engineering, which by the way Cornell also has a pretty good School for.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2005 05:39PM

Unless the architects decided that the roof had to be raised, then the engineers would probably have something to say. Fortunately it won't come to that. :-)

Date: March 31, 2005 07:00PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

Changing an existing structure to create an advantage is "gamesmanship" of the lowest order and should be expressly forbidden at ALL rinks.[/q]

Putting it in a new rink is pretty bad too. I was pretty dismayed to see Cheel was set up that way, since it's a relatively recent building.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: March 31, 2005 07:29PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:
Unless the architects decided that the roof had to be raised, then the engineers would probably have something to say. Fortunately it won't come to that.[/q]Raise the roof?

:-D

Date: March 31, 2005 08:37PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

this is no more unfair than Jack Parker building a new rink (Agganis) with split benches[/q]

Right. They're both unfair.

Date: March 31, 2005 08:38PM

[Q]krose Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote:

The character of Lynah is critical, but I don't see how the details are.[/Q]
Agreed, strongly. I'd personally like the walkways at the top to be more than 3 feet wide, as I'm sure the IFD would as well. As long as the low roof is kept intact, the sight lines preserved, and the student section seating remains benches (as opposed to seats), it sounds great to me, especially since the student section will be reunited. Finally!
[/q]

I'm a little worried about the addition of luxury boxes, but I guess we could just ignore the suits in them. Scheisspublikum!

Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 11:27PM

i wonder when the official press release will be set loose. i would be interested in the actual plans :)

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 06:52PM

Parker built the Agganis Arena?

Date: April 02, 2005 08:20PM

Rich, since you seem to be asking a legitimate question i'll give the best answer i can:
[Q]"I just had about every say you could have in terms of where the benches and dressing rooms were going to be, what the radius of the corners was going to be — I had a lot of say in what the size of the building was going to be. They were talking about making a 9,000-seat arena. I wanted to make sure that we have a full house, that there will be a demand for tickets, and that there will be enthusiasm in the building." [www.uscho.com][/Q]
[Q]Terrier Coach Jack Parker has made some special requests of the construction team.
"He has a lot of input," Herckner said. "He's done some things with the benches: We have a larger, deeper bench than normal to meet his style of coaching. ... He wanted the old-time wooden benches. Where most people have gone with a poly, we're going with a butcher-block wood [as they are in Walter Brown Arena] because we're trying to bring some of the history of the old building into the new."
[www.uscho.com][/Q]
so the answer is no, Jack Parker did not build Agganis Arena ... but he --did-- have a substantial say in the design.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2005 09:11PM by ben03.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login