Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Bracketology: We Get Hosed

Posted by Tub(a) 
New Bracketology: We Get Hosed
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2005 11:32AM

[www.uscho.com]

That looks awful. Not only do we have to go to Minnesota, but we have to face OSU (9th seed) in the first round.

yark

Re: New Bracketology: We Get Hosed
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 11:56AM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:That looks awful. Not only do we have to go to Minnesota, but we have to face OSU (9th seed) in the first round. [/q]Yes it looks awful, but the most important line is, "We'll be back tomorrow to see what Saturday's results have done.".

We have the chance to beat D'mouth and H'vd next week. If we don't win the tourney then no number 1 seed. If we do win then it depends upon many other variables. Much too early too lose any sleep or even to frown :-/ .....> :-)

Posted by: CrazyLarry (---.pas-eres.charterpipeline.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 12:18PM

Yeah, but, Jason does some WEIRD things. For one, he refuses to shuffle the 4 seeds to give the overall #1 a matchup against the #13 seed. That's ridiculous, because #1a vs. 4a or 4b is one thing we KNOW the comittee will do, from experience. Good grief.

Also, Jason seems to ignore possible secondary effects (i.e. UAA becoming a TUC, BG dropping from one) in his Q&A part, which is the only interesting thing anyway, because there are lots of games left to be played, and only 6 teams that won't lose between now and the end of the season.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2005 12:31PM

Hmm, the brackets that he has right now has a intra-conference first round match up of Wisconsin and Minnesota. I would highly doubt that this would be a first round match up even if the committe was forced to have two teams in the same conference play each other. If I had a preference on where our team ends up, I think one of the last places would be in Minnesota, since it is a home game for Minnesota and we end up playing them if you assume all number 1 and 2s beat all number 3s and 4s. There is still a long way to go, before we know the seedings. Right now, we still could be passed by Michigan or we could game some PWRs from DU and BC if our RPI goes up higher. Plus if we win the ECAC tourney, we would have 2 more TUC wins. These two wins will increade our TUC % more than DU,CC, or MN will in the conference tourney since they play so many TUCs. There are a lot of variables still to be worked out right now, all our team can do is win and hope for the best.

Posted by: Ken '70 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 01:59PM

Cornell is pretty much stuck at #5 no matter what (reasonable) things happen. Expect to go to MN for the regional. But there are some chances.

To move up to #1 seed Cornell has to either win its comparison with MN or win two of the other three.

MN - it's all about TUC. AA isn't going to make TUC unless they win both from WI. For Cornell to flip TUC with MN without AA then MN has to lose both games at the conference championships and Cornell has to win the ECAC. Possibility of both occuring, probably a lot less than 50%.

DU - RPI determines. Cornell wins out, DU doesn't, it'll flip. Odds better than the MN scenario but still not much above 50%

CC - RPI. CC needs to lose next two to SCSU. Odds 0%

BC - RPI. BC loses to Umass tonight it will be close. Realistically BC will win tonight. Next week they probably need to lose the semi while Cornell wins out. If they end up playing PC in the semi then a loss in the final might do it.

The only help that's available is in the form of UNH and BU. Both have a chance of flipping their own comparisons with MN meaning Cornell could get ahead of MN by only winning one other comp. they're now losing. But both scenarios for help from HE require BU make the HE Final Four.

Really, the most important out-of-town score tonight is probably the BU PC game. Cornell maintains the most options for a#1 seed if BU stays alive tonight and meets UNH in a HE semi, then whoever wins that game needs to win the HE championship. As long as MN doesn't win out, that scenario will probably flip either MN-UNH or MN-BU.

In that case, if DU doesn't win out and Cornell does, there's a good chance we make a #1 seed.

Date: March 12, 2005 02:54PM

At least DU and MN would play each other in the WCHA semis. Someone will lose. We also get a slight edge over DU in bonus points (1 N vs. 1 H)

Also, does one of our AHA opponents winning the tourney there help us in the TUC category enough? It'd get us one extra win there, but probably not only us. Checking, the only other top team helped would be CC, if Quinnipiac wins the AHA. That would hurt Dartmouth, for anyone who cares.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2005 02:58PM

Yes, whoever wins the AHA and CHA automatically becomes a TUC, so tonight we have to root for Army, Canisius, and Sacred Heart, if they all win we have an excellent chance of picking up another TUC win.

Date: March 12, 2005 03:25PM

Sadly, I don't think it changes the situation wrt MN. They still need to lose twice for us to flip the comparison. However, based on watching Mankato-MN last night, if Mankato gets any goaltending, that could happen. Yes, it was 7-2, but it shouldn't have been. Man, Mankato goalie is the worst thing I ever saw. He sucks! He's not a sieve, he's a Hula Hoop! Argggh...

Oops, I forgot we played Army not QU. An Army move to TUC status hurts Colgate, for those who care, but not in any material way, as far as I can see.

Interesting about rooting for BU. Who knew that the one other game I thought went our way, actually didn't.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 03:35PM

A Canisius tournament win and, hence, extra TUC for us could turn out to be a pyhrric victory once removed.

If you use the DIY script to calculate the potential PWR, having all the favorites yet win the series that have been extended to three games, using a 3-2-1 bonus, and including Quinnipiac as an extra TUC, we end up #6 and Michigan gets shipped out to Minnesota. If Canisius wins, we're goin' Gopher hunting in enemy territory.

Suffice it to say that I'm glad there are still ways we can win the ECAC(HL) championship and avoid the Gophers, i.e., that the PWR is still very volatile.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2005 03:36PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Ken '70 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 03:52PM

You raise the most important point: getting to an improbable #1 seed isn't the only way to NCAA happiness. If things haven't broken our way (in other games) by next Friday or Saturday night, simply root against Cornell. Two TUC losses in Albany would certainly drop us behind MI and into an eastern ice situation. Heresy, I know, but your choice might be to root FOR Cornell in Albany and a trip to MN and probable oblivion, or root AGAINST Cornell for a trip to Amherst or Worcester and a much better chance to watch them on TV at the Final Four. And once you get to that stage, anything can happen.

Personally, I don't think I could root against them and mean it, but it would be a silver lining.

Date: March 12, 2005 04:07PM

Oh, I would never, ever, never exchange an ECAC tournament championship for niceties in NCAA seeding. If we end up playing Minnesota at Mariucci because we've won our eleventh championship, then so be it.

Winning an NCAA championship without winning the ECAC championship (Harvard) is like eating a big ol' tub of chocolate icing: the icing still tastes good, but, without the cake, it makes you feel a bit sick.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 04:22PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

Oh, I would never, ever, never exchange an ECAC tournament championship for niceties in NCAA seeding. If we end up playing Minnesota at Mariucci because we've won our eleventh championship, then so be it.

Winning an NCAA championship without winning the ECAC championship (Harvard) is like eating a big ol' tub of chocolate icing: the icing still tastes good, but, without the cake, it makes you feel a bit sick.[/q]
I don't think an NCAA championship is the icing on the cake... it's the ultimate goal. The Florida Classic is something I'd call icing... nice to have, but doesn't really matter.

Losing the ECACs and winning the NCAAs due to more fortuitous seeding is closer to having your long-time girlfriend dump you only to get asked out by the campus bombshell... sure your ex bruised your ego by dumping you, but look what you ended up with instead, and you're the envy of every man in town.

Date: March 12, 2005 04:54PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

Scersk '97 Wrote:
Winning an NCAA championship without winning the ECAC championship (Harvard) is like eating a big ol' tub of chocolate icing: the icing still tastes good, but, without the cake, it makes you feel a bit sick.[/Q]
Losing the ECACs and winning the NCAAs due to more fortuitous seeding is closer to having your long-time girlfriend dump you only to get asked out by the campus bombshell... sure your ex bruised your ego by dumping you, but look what you ended up with instead, and you're the envy of every man in town.[/q]

Well, mixing metaphors, perhaps winning the NCAAs after losing the ECACs is like having your long-time girlfriend dump you because you wanted to lick icing off of her and then getting to lick icing off the campus bombshell but ending up getting sick.

Of course, if you just win both, then its a threesome and yummy icing for everybody!

Date: March 12, 2005 06:12PM

OK, just because I like to believe that I have a lot of time on my hands, I ran the script using the admittedly error-bar-tastic KRACH to predict the rest of the results. Here are the final rankings, using John's abbreviations:
1   BC
2   CC
3   Cr
4   DU
5   Mn
6   Mi
7   Ha
8   NH
9   ND
10  Me
11  OS
12  Wi
13  Da
14  BU
15  BS
16  Qn
This proves to be less of a committee nightmare than it first appears. Before getting rid of conference matchups, you have:

Worcester:  1  BC
                14 BU
                 9 ND
            8  NH

Mariucci:   2  CC
                16 Qn
                12 Wi
            5  Mn

Amherst:    3  Cr
                15 BS
                10 Me
            7  Ha

GR:         4  DU
                13 Da
                11 OS
            6  Mi
Exactly how do you prioritize the moves that you need to make? I have no idea. I guess you have to move BC first and see how everything else falls out. I get:

Worcester:  3  Cr
                14 BU
                10 Me
            7  Ha

Mariucci:   2  CC
                15 BS
                11 OS
            5  Mn

Amherst:    1  BC
                16 Qn
                 9 ND
            8  NH

GR:         4  DU
                13 Da
                12 Wi
            6  Mi

Not bad. Could be quite the diversity of conference representation in Columbus. I like our bracket quite a bit.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 06:17PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

I get:

Worcester: 3 Cr
14 BU
10 Me
7 Ha

Mariucci: 2 CC
15 BS
11 OS
5 Mn

Amherst: 1 BC
16 Qn
9 ND
8 NH

GR: 4 DU
13 Da
12 Wi
6 Mi

Not bad. Could be quite the diversity of conference representation in Columbus. I like our bracket quite a bit.[/q]
Would make for a nice crowd in Worcester. :-)

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:06PM

ROFLMAO

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:13PM

As the Pairwise currently stand (10:11 EST), 4 ECAC teams would be in assuming no upsets in conference tourneys. Is this possible? Oh...Vermont just scored. That'll change things.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:28PM

With the 3-2-1 bonus, Cornell leaps into the top four, but without they are fifth. Things are going to be incredibly tight to the finish it looks like.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:38PM

Sorry, but getting two dates with the campus bombshell, without getting to that magical and all important third date just don't cut it. She ain't gonna sleep with you on the first date and probably not on the second either.

Keep the babe you got and make plans with the bombshell after you get one last good one from your current girlfriend.

A bird in the hand...

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:42PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

With the 3-2-1 bonus, Cornell leaps into the top four, but without they are fifth. Things are going to be incredibly tight to the finish it looks like.[/q]

The only thing sillier than looking at PWR from week-to-week (yes, I do it religiously myself!) is looking at PWR partway through the results of the evening. Cornell won't be in the top 4 by the time the night is through...

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 11:49PM

UAA and Brown hanging on to TUC status by fingernails as of close-of-business Saturday.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:13AM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

With the 3-2-1 bonus, Cornell leaps into the top four, but without they are fifth. Things are going to be incredibly tight to the finish it looks like.[/Q]
The only thing sillier than looking at PWR from week-to-week (yes, I do it religiously myself!) is looking at PWR partway through the results of the evening. Cornell won't be in the top 4 by the time the night is through...[/q]

They actually never were in the top 4. As we discovered in another thread, Ari mistakenly used bonus figures 100 times larger than he should have.
Andy W.

Date: March 13, 2005 12:21AM

I definitely don't understand PWR that well, but one has to think that if Cornell wins Albany then they will be in the top four. My logic is that one of Minnesota, CC, and Denver is going to lose two games. I could be wrong but that seems to make sense.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:27AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I definitely don't understand PWR that well, but one has to think that if Cornell wins Albany then they will be in the top four. My logic is that one of Minnesota, CC, and Denver is going to lose two games. I could be wrong but that seems to make sense.[/q]

I don't really understand it that well either. I've just been reading what some people here who do understand it well have been writing. What I have read is that should we win out in Albany, we --could-- wind up in the top 4, but it is by no means a definite thing. We would still need a lot of other games to fall our way.

There was a post by Ken 70, in another thread, either late yesterday or today that explained it pretty well, in a lot of detail.
Andy W.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:31AM

Actually, only if UAA/Wisco beats Denver in the semis. If Denver beats #4, they can all finish with one loss.

Date: March 13, 2005 12:38AM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

Actually, only if UAA/Wisco beats Denver in the semis. If Denver beats #4, they can all finish with one loss.[/q]

I guess that is the most likely scenario although I'm sure Wisconsin could give Denver a run even though they haven't played well the last month or so.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 12:40AM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 09:11AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

UAA and Brown hanging on to TUC status by fingernails as of close-of-business Saturday.[/q]

Unfortunately, all three of our cupcake meals wiped out of the AH tournament, so no free TUC wins there. :-(

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login