Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Tuesday at the Rink

Posted by Bio '04 
Tuesday at the Rink
Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: March 10, 2005 03:39PM

I didn't notice this mentioned yet, but there was a question that came up during this past week's Tuesday at the Rink with Michigan's head coach Red Berenson, that was mentioned a while ago when discussing schedules for upcoming seasons.

Bruce (Portland ME): As a Michigan alum and hockey fan who can't easily get back to Ann Arbor, I'd love to see Michigan schedule some out-of-conference games in the East. Any chance of that happening in future seasons?

Coach Berenson: Yes. We don't choose to play a lot of non-conference games away from Yost for financial reasons. But when the right situation arises, we travel. We did play in New Hampshire last spring.

[www.collegesports.com]

Here's the original thread where Berenson's commitment to travel came up:
[elf.elynah.com]

Re: Tuesday at the Rink
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 04:08PM

The game in NH was a tournament game. I think Red was saying that a fan in Maine could have gone to see UM at the regional, not trying to pretend that that was the same as scheduling a non-conf game back east.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 04:17PM

I have to mention that i asked a more pointed question regarding his lack of scheduling eastern teams in their barns ... the question was subsequently ignored, go figure. who would have thunk he liked softball. Red Berenson is a pansy and a disgrace to Michigan hockey.
Screw BLUE!flipc

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2005 12:13PM by ben03.

Posted by: CrazyLarry (---.caltech.edu)
Date: March 10, 2005 04:27PM

I think Red was trying to make a joke with the NH comment.

At least he was honest about what they do, I guess. It'd be nice if it wasn't like this, though.

Along the same lines, the last time we played a WCHA team in the RS was like 6 years ago. That just sucks for making this a national sport.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 04:30PM

[Q]CrazyLarry Wrote:

Along the same lines, the last time we played a WCHA team in the RS was like 6 years ago. That just sucks for making this a national sport.[/q]

That haves keep playing the other haves. The sorta-haves (like us) get a few scraps here and there. And the have-nots are plum out of luck mostly. At least we can regularly get CCHA teams on our schedule, thanks to Schafer's connections I suppose.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 04:37PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

CrazyLarry Wrote:

Along the same lines, the last time we played a WCHA team in the RS was like 6 years ago. That just sucks for making this a national sport.[/Q]
That haves keep playing the other haves. The sorta-haves (like us) get a few scraps here and there. And the have-nots are plum out of luck mostly. At least we can regularly get CCHA teams on our schedule, thanks to Schafer's connections I suppose.[/q]
Seems to me North Dakota went to Yale and Princeton a couple of years ago.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 04:52PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Will Wrote:

CrazyLarry Wrote:

Along the same lines, the last time we played a WCHA team in the RS was like 6 years ago. That just sucks for making this a national sport.[/Q]
That haves keep playing the other haves. The sorta-haves (like us) get a few scraps here and there. And the have-nots are plum out of luck mostly. At least we can regularly get CCHA teams on our schedule, thanks to Schafer's connections I suppose.[/Q]
Seems to me North Dakota went to Yale and Princeton a couple of years ago.[/q]

Yup. I was at that NoDak-yale game.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 05:43PM

Jeez, Ben. Tell us how ya really feel. :-P

Actually, I don't think Berenson was making a joke. He really was trying to say that Michigan's trip to NH for the NC$$ constituted "choosing to travel east." At least he owned up to it being about the revenues they get from playing at home.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 07:41PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

Jeez, Ben. Tell us how ya really feel.

Actually, I don't think Berenson was making a joke. He really was trying to say that Michigan's trip to NH for the NC$$ constituted "choosing to travel east." At least he owned up to it being about the revenues they get from playing at home.
[/q][Post removed because I changed my mind. Red was joking.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2005 07:44PM by ugarte.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 11, 2005 12:07PM

Having "dual citizenship," I can understand Red's point. At a school that fields a lot of scholarship-awarding sports - most of which are not revenue - finances are an obvious issue, even at a place like Michigan that is able to rely on the bankroll from the Big House. It's not good for college hockey, but so it goes. I don't know how the gate is divided in college hockey - if at all - but this might be a factor as well. A game at Lynah is just not going to generate the revenue that a game at someplace like Agganis would. Anybody more familiar with the finances, pls. chime in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login