Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Clarkson post-game thread.

Posted by Trotsky 
Clarkson post-game thread.
Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:13PM

Dave McKee's 13th career shut out ties Ken Dryden for the Cornell record.

Re: Clarkson post-game thread.
Posted by: pfibiger (---.we.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:13PM

and Moulson has the first 20 goal season since Brad Chartrand. A good night for the record books.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:14PM

cornell sets the ga/gp record as well in ecac play.
wins the ivy league
wins the ecachl regular season
not a bad regular season :)

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:15PM

congrats McKee and Moulson.

Cody Toppert also broke the record for 3 pters by a cornell player

Posted by: Big Red Colonel (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:19PM

Great Season! Let's hope for 7 more W's.

LGR

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:20PM

looks like we're playing the winner of union/clarkson series (held @ union, where clarkson lost 4-1 early in the season. ckson beat union 2-0 @ home). both teams have been sliding recently.

we've outscored clarkson 7-2 and outscored union 6-2, so that's some good news.

Date: February 26, 2005 09:21PM

i'd prefer 8 more wins (2 @ lynah, 2 @ albany, 2 @ ncaas, 2 @ FF)

Posted by: KP '06 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:21PM

Didn't realize how far McKee had pulled away from the rest of the pack:
[www.uscho.com]

The next closest goaltenders have 5 shutouts on the season.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:23PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

looks like we're playing the winner of union/clarkson series (held @ union, where clarkson lost 4-1 early in the season. ckson beat union 2-0 @ home). both teams have been sliding recently.

we've outscored clarkson 7-2 and outscored union 6-2, so that's some good news.[/q]
We play the lowest remaining seed, not necessarily the 8/9 winner.

Posted by: Big Red Colonel (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:24PM

... my bad, I thought we were living in 12 team tourney days for some reason.

8 more W's.

LGR

Date: February 26, 2005 09:25PM

we do? i thought we were bracketed to play the winner of 8v9. in any case, not like princeton rpi or yale is going to win their games

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:28PM

Tonight's games, all finals:

Cornell 3, Clarkson 0
St. Lawrence 5, Colgate 3
Princeton 0, Union 0 (ot)
Rensselaer 3, Yale 2 (ot)
Dartmouth 6, Brown 2
Harvard 2, Vermont 2 (ot)

The tournament breaks down as follows:

Byes: (1) Cornell, (2) Harvard, (3) Colgate, (4) Vermont

First Round:
(12) Yale at (5) Dartmouth
(11) Rensselaer at (6) Brown
(10) Princeton at (7) St. Lawrence
(9) Clarkson at (8) Union

Interestingly, no ties in the standings this season.

Date: February 26, 2005 09:31PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

we do? i thought we were bracketed to play the winner of 8v9. in any case, not like princeton rpi or yale is going to win their games[/q]
Yup, we do - reseeded. Well, they probably won't, but Clarkson was a lower seed last year and they got all the way to the ECAC title game, so, never say never.

And there was that time #10 UVM upset #1 Clarkson in the 10 team tournament days.

Date: February 26, 2005 09:31PM

doesn't look like much of a year for first-round upsets.
1-5: good teams
6-9: mediocre teams
10-12 awful teams

the 8v9 game could be the closest, as it theoretically should be

Date: February 26, 2005 09:42PM

Remarkably, there were no ties in the ECAC standings this year. In the last 19 seasons, that has only happened once (1994).

Posted by: dadeo (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:49PM

8 more wins (need 2 for Qfs), 2 for ECACs, 4 for NCAAs

Posted by: dadeo (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:51PM

It seems that the Cornell and Colgate guys remember each other from last year
(Nickerson = goon) if i remember correctly

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:53PM

Not only did McKee tie Dryden's 13 shutout record, but he set the all-time Cornell record for shutouts in a regular season, with 8.

(LeNeveu had 7 two seasons ago...hmm...including a 3-0 shutout on the road in the final regular season game).

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:57PM

brown falls out of TUC status right now -> cornell dropping. plenty of games pending but we shall see :)
plenty of games to play in the playoffs too - things could change drastically.

Date: February 26, 2005 10:07PM

Also:

Iggulden's goal, the game-winner, was his 5th GWG of the season, which is the second most in the nation.

Updated McKee stats: 1.27 GAA, .943 SV%

For the first time all season (I believe), Cornell finishes the weekend with both the #1 PP and #1 PK in the country.

The 2003 Frozen Four team also had 4 losses at this point in the season.

For the first time in 11 ECAC weekends this season, Cornell scores neither a power play goal nor a second period goal.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 10:23PM

[Q]jy3 Wrote:
brown falls out of TUC status right now -> cornell dropping. plenty of games pending but we shall see
plenty of games to play in the playoffs too - things could change drastically.[/q]Brown's got 2 or 3 games against ice-cold RPI next weekend, which could be good for the win% but probably hurts the RPI.

Date: February 26, 2005 10:26PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

jy3 Wrote:
brown falls out of TUC status right now -> cornell dropping. plenty of games pending but we shall see
plenty of games to play in the playoffs too - things could change drastically.[/Q]
Brown's got 2 or 3 games against ice-cold RPI next weekend, which could be good for the win% but probably hurts the RPI.[/q]
I don't think it will hurt their RPI. Yeah, it would hurt ours, but Brown's RPI isn't nearly ours (if it was, we wouldn't be worrying about it). The win would help their RPI significantly, so if they can win in 2 next weekend, they're in good shape TUC-wise.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 26, 2005 10:35PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

jy3 Wrote:
plenty of games to play in the playoffs too - things could change drastically.[/Q]
Brown's got 2 or 3 games against ice-cold RPI next weekend, which could be good for the win% but probably hurts the RPI.[/q]

If brown wins the RPI can only go up in the playoffs, never down so we just have to hope that Brown gets back as TUC by the end of there run in the ECAC tourney

Date: February 26, 2005 10:40PM

There are two games coming through tonight involving teams Brown has played - Providence and UMD (and American Int'l just came through).

Prov and UMD won, and AIC tied. When the AIC result came in, Brown's RPI went up .0001 to .4997.

When those other two come through we'll see if its enough to keep them a TUC for the week.

Date: February 26, 2005 10:45PM

The UMD win comes in and Brown jumps to .5005! One more to go!

Actually that seems to include both of them. So Brown's at .5005 - hopefully it won't swing much more (at least not downwards) tonight.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2005 10:47PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 26, 2005 10:49PM

Delta I just looked at all the comparisons, and we should win the TUC from DU and CC but since they have the higher RPI, we will still lose the comparisons. BC RPI is higher than ours which flipped the BC comparison with us, and we can't match Minnesota record vs. TUCS unles UAA becomes a TUC tonight, which will flip that comparison. So I am expecting little to known movement tonight as the other games come in and we still stay in 5th in the PWR rankings.
This is all with bonuses of 3-2-1

Editting one more time to point out UAA RPI is currently .4999. with the bonuses.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2005 10:52PM by TCHL8842.

Date: February 26, 2005 10:52PM

Yup, all depends on UAA tonight. Otherwise things will likely stand still.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 10:55PM

[Q]TCHL8842 Wrote:

If brown wins the RPI can only go up in the playoffs, never down so we just have to hope that Brown gets back as TUC by the end of there run in the ECAC tourney[/q]

Brown can't drop in RPI as a result of playoff wins, but they could drop as a result of other results, of course.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Steve M (4.29.49.---)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:30AM

RPI was 1-0-1 vs. Brown this year and they pulled off a 1st round upset 2 years ago.

Date: February 27, 2005 12:36AM

Congrats to McKee on his shutout records. Cornell finishes the ECAC RS with an 18-2-2 record for 38 conference points. That's only one less than the awesome 2003 Frozen Four team amassed against a somewhat weaker league. This year's squad should be very proud. Now on to greater heights in the post season!

Date: February 27, 2005 12:39AM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

Not only did McKee tie Dryden's 13 shutout record, but he set the all-time Cornell record for shutouts in a regular season, with 8.

(LeNeveu had 7 two seasons ago...hmm...including a 3-0 shutout on the road in the final regular season game).[/q]

If I'm not mistaken, LeNeveu had 9 shutouts in the 2002-2003 season
[www.uscho.com]

And a question: do the GAA and SV% stats only include RS games or does it extend into divison playoffs??
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2005 12:55AM by aznxjz.

Posted by: puff (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:50AM

Two of LeNevue's SHUTOUTS (edited:not saves ;)) came in the playoffs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2005 12:51AM by puff.

Date: February 27, 2005 12:56AM

ah...I am humbled :) Anyone know the RS shutout record by an NCAA team? Was it 11?

Date: February 27, 2005 12:58AM

[Q]aznxjz Wrote:

Avash '05 Wrote:

(LeNeveu had 7 two seasons ago...hmm...including a 3-0 shutout on the road in the final regular season game).[/Q]

If I'm not mistaken, LeNeveu had 9 shutouts in the 2002-2003 season

[/q]

You're not mistaken :-). LeNeveu did indeed have 9 shutouts, but I said "record for shutouts in a regular season," and in the regular season, he had 7.

Date: February 27, 2005 12:58AM

who cares when the shutouts come
i'd rather have all of em in the playoffs, right through the ncaas

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 27, 2005 01:20AM

Just got back from the game. I thought Cornell played better tonight than they have since probably the second Colgate game. I also thought they played their best 60 minute game of the season. There were probably only two shifts the entire game in which Cornell didn't have a tight grasp on the game. I think that Cornell could have won 10-0 if they had kept their foot on the gas pedal after the first period, but they instead, sat back a little bit, effectively allowing Clarkson to keep some dignity on their senior night. Additionally, it is pretty obviously that Clarkson is a very likely opponent in two weeks so they can trounce them then. O'Byrne looked better than he has all season.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 27, 2005 01:26AM

My impressions from the game: Clarkson has an extremely nice arena, however their team was despicable, and there were hundreds of empty seats on senior night, the last home game of the season, and against a top 3 team in the nation (our beloved Big Red). So do not be fooled by the strong traveling contingent of Clarkson, their fan base was disappointing to say the least.

Note: If you want a Big Mac at the McDonalds in Potsdam, you may be waiting a half an hour becuase of their inept employees. To me, this is a metaphor for the entire barren wasteland that is the North Country.

The game within the game
Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 27, 2005 01:40AM

Stats about tonight's game that do not come across on the radio feed:

Average Number of Teeth/Fan: Cornell 30, Clarkson 12
Number of Cowbells employed: Cornell 2, Clarkson 1
Number of Tin-Man looking mascots that strip before the 3rd Period: Cornell 0, Clarkson 1
Majority of the Fans know Cornell's alma mater: Cornell- Yes, Clarkson- Yes
Majority of the Fans know Clarkson's alma mater: Cornell- No, Clarkson- No
Number of Seniors who scored on Senior Night: Cornell 2, Clarkson 0
Cleaver Cheers: Cornell 10+, Clarkson 0

and most importantly..... number of wins this weekend: Cornell 2, Clarkson 0

Re: The game within the game
Date: February 27, 2005 01:42AM

[Q]CM cWo 44 Wrote:Cleaver Cheers: Cornell 10+, Clarkson 0[/q]

I'm sure you mean clever, but maybe cornell had 10+ cheers about a large butcher's knife

Re: The game within the game
Posted by: puff (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 01:44AM

i was just going to say the same thing. From the other stats presented, i would have thought that Clarkson would win the cleaver cheer department.

Random thoughts from Will
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 27, 2005 02:19AM

Man, what a weekend, and particularly what a game to finish out the regular season. I have to agree with Ari that this is the best the team has looked since the Colgate weekend. I think the "loss" that the team "needed" did indeed arrive last night with the OT win over SLU(t). It must have given them precisely the proper kick in the butt that they needed to energize themselves for postseason play. The first period was of course completely dominated by Cornell, and then they just sat on the lead for the next two periods. Normally I would be disappointed in this strategy, but it looked like they really were trying hard, and Safety Sieve Leggio got a few lucky bounces as well. In any case, it might have worked out for the best if Cornell didn't wholly crush Clarkson on their Senior Night, as it might have provoked fights and game DQs that neither team would really want going into the postseason. There were a few bullshit calls made against Cornell, and at times Clarkson turned (reverted?) into a real goon squad. But in the end, Cornell kept it together for the win and to preserve McKee's shutout. I can't wait to see who we play in two weeks.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 27, 2005 02:30AM

Clarkson always causes concern as they really don't appear to be very well disciplined. I thought Cornell played with a great deal of discipline and composure tonight.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2005 02:54AM

[Q]aznxjz Wrote:
ah...I am humbled Anyone know the RS shutout record by an NCAA team? Was it 11?
[/q]In Ryan Miller's Hobey year, 2000-01, 10 of his 11 shutouts came in the regular season. I have to imagine that's the record, if such records are kept, since the 11 definitely is.

(I didn't realize this before looking it up, but 6 of Miller's shutouts that year came within a 7-game span stretching from New Year's to January 23rd, with just 1 goal allowed over the course of those 7 games. The one playoff shutout came at a good time, against Michigan in the CCHA championship game.)

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2005 05:04AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

In Ryan Miller's Hobey year, 2000-01, 10 of his 11 shutouts came in the regular season. I have to imagine that's the record, if such records are kept, since the 11 definitely is.

(I didn't realize this before looking it up, but 6 of Miller's shutouts that year came within a 7-game span stretching from New Year's to January 23rd, with just 1 goal allowed over the course of those 7 games. The one playoff shutout came at a good time, against Michigan in the CCHA championship game.)[/q]

Miller's backup, Joe Blackburn got one of those shutouts, 1/5/01 vs. Yale. Miller had "only" 10 total shutouts that year. McKee is two short of the single-season record.

[www.uscho.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2005 05:04AM by RichH.

Re: Random thoughts from Will
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 07:28AM

Excellent thoughts and perhaps even the team sensed or Schafter talked along the same lines: A 3-0 lead is pretty much locked in as a win (you'd think not say those words aloud) and maybe better to not figuratively knock pride since they a) might start fights leading to DQs for Cornell the next game and b) we might play them down the road in Ithaca so don't give them motive for revenge.

Pus it's not as if we were going to catch 1974 BU for that single season ECAC goals scored mark.

Re: The game within the game (toothless fans)
Date: February 27, 2005 07:56AM

Don't know why I'm being so civil to Clarkson other than maybe I'm not my usual ornery self this morning (it will pass) ... and we have a place up in the Adirondacks and we've seen some of the effects of the soft economy of the Adirondacks / North Country. Regarding the quip about avg teeth per fan, 32/Cornell, 12/Clarkson. Nobody sets out to have a dozen teeth left as an adult. The economy sucks. The restrictions on growth & development in the APA (Adirondack Park) area limit job opportunities in order to give those of us living in the New York, Phildelphia, and Boston areas a pristine vacationland. (The St. Lawrence river area is pretty nice, too; check out the Thousand Islands in July.) If you thinks Tompkins County and environs are a mixed bag for blue collar people, you ain't seen nothing. A lot of the jobs are seasonal and a lot of the jobs have no medical / dental benefits. If your family of five is getting by on $25K a year, $30K a year, a $700 crown may not be No. 1 on your discretionary income priorities list, just as taking those kids-now-adults to the dentist wasn't in the budget 20 years ago. For some of these fans, a $7 GA Clarkson hockey ticket is one of their luxuries. I'm sure more than a few of them may have walked out of the arena muttering "Ivy League assholes" and thinking the Cornell kids all have it made. And even if you're leaving Cornell with $80,000 in loan debt and no steady girlfriend, you do. In comparison.

The other thing - vicioius circle, you'd say - is that with not much to do for work with only a HS diploma in small towns and for those living way outside Potsdam / Massena, is that entertainment equals drinking in bars, which eventually leads to your second DUI and long term loss of license. Then they can't go to work at their crappy, low-paying job and they're even worse off. Try to find a work crew to help fix your summer place. What you have to do is find two guys who still have their license to drive the other three DUI guys, the craftsmen-when-sober, to the jobsite each day. (Oh, yeah, and pay by the job, not the hour.)

If you're lucky, you try to latch on to a job with St. Lawrence or Clarkson with benefits. It's also the reason prisons are not exactly unwelcome in the North Country. They mean jobs. BTW the Olympic Village housing from 1980, much of that is a state prison now.

[edit: fixing typos]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2005 08:26AM by billhoward.

Posted by: duffs4 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2005 08:07AM

Schafter talked along the same lines: A 3-0 lead is pretty much locked in as a win (you'd think not say those words aloud)

Remember the game at lynah, going into the third with a 3-0 lead and then letting up 2 quick goals. WE still won, but it was a little scary for awhile.

This could be the last time we see Latulippe ::tears::

Date: February 27, 2005 09:14AM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:
You're not mistaken . LeNeveu did indeed have 9 shutouts, but I said "record for shutouts in a regular season," and in the regular season, he had 7.
[/q]

Here are all the Cornell shut outs: [www.tbrw.info]

LeNeveu is the only Cornell netminder to record 2 shutouts in the same post-season.

Cornell PS has 7 ECAC and 1 NCAA shutouts:

1966 ECAC QF (McKibbon)
1967 NCAA SF (Dryden, arguably the greatest goaltending performance in Cornell history)
1969 ECAC QF (Dryden)
1989 ECAC QF (D'Alessio, the 0-0 tie)
1996 ECAC SF (Elliott)
2002 ECAC SF (Underhill)
2003 ECAC QF (LeNeveu)
2003 ECAC SF (LeNeveu, for 2 consecutive shut outs)

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 10:45AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Don't know why I'm being so civil to Clarkson other than maybe I'm not my usual ornery self this morning (it will pass) ... and we have a place up in the Adirondacks and we've seen some of the effects of the soft economy of the Adirondacks / North Country. Regarding the quip about avg teeth per fan, 32/Cornell, 12/Clarkson. Nobody sets out to have a dozen teeth left as an adult. The economy sucks. The restrictions on growth & development in the APA (Adirondack Park) area limit job opportunities in order to give those of us living in the New York, Phildelphia, and Boston areas a pristine vacationland. (The St. Lawrence river area is pretty nice, too; check out the Thousand Islands in July.) If you thinks Tompkins County and environs are a mixed bag for blue collar people, you ain't seen nothing. A lot of the jobs are seasonal and a lot of the jobs have no medical / dental benefits. If your family of five is getting by on $25K a year, $30K a year, a $700 crown may not be No. 1 on your discretionary income priorities list, just as taking those kids-now-adults to the dentist wasn't in the budget 20 years ago. For some of these fans, a $7 GA Clarkson hockey ticket is one of their luxuries. I'm sure more than a few of them may have walked out of the arena muttering "Ivy League assholes" and thinking the Cornell kids all have it made. And even if you're leaving Cornell with $80,000 in loan debt and no steady girlfriend, you do. In comparison.

The other thing - vicioius circle, you'd say - is that with not much to do for work with only a HS diploma in small towns and for those living way outside Potsdam / Massena, is that entertainment equals drinking in bars, which eventually leads to your second DUI and long term loss of license. Then they can't go to work at their crappy, low-paying job and they're even worse off. Try to find a work crew to help fix your summer place. What you have to do is find two guys who still have their license to drive the other three DUI guys, the craftsmen-when-sober, to the jobsite each day. (Oh, yeah, and pay by the job, not the hour.)

If you're lucky, you try to latch on to a job with St. Lawrence or Clarkson with benefits. It's also the reason prisons are not exactly unwelcome in the North Country. They mean jobs. BTW the Olympic Village housing from 1980, much of that is a state prison now.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 02/27/05 08:26AM by billhoward.[/q]

here here .
the new york economy is shite. outside the ithaca bubble (with only 2% unemployment but 40% living below the poverty rate) it is so much worse. you try to feed a family of 5 on a mcdonalds paycheck, and while you do it try to care that elitist ivy league sap is waiting an extra couple minutes for his big friggin mac. get off that high horse before you hit your head, knock out all your teeth and have to use mommy's dental insurance.

sorry, but one thing The Rancor does not stand for is that classism bullshit. most of the people on this board are really lucky. try to remember that. also unless you are a hockey player, and a few missing teeth are a badge of honor, i doubt you would have such a high sense of self if you were missing 3 of your front 4, and both bicuspids. after a week of embarrassment your will to live likely goes down incrementally until some duche gives you shit at McDonalds and you go home and take the rest of your teeth out with a shot gun.
RANT!!! uhoh uhoh uhoh
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2005 10:52AM by The Rancor.

OT: poverty and socialism
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 11:12AM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

here here .
the new york economy is shite. outside the ithaca bubble (with only 2% unemployment but 40% living below the poverty rate) it is so much worse. you try to feed a family of 5 on a mcdonalds paycheck, and while you do it try to care that elitist ivy league sap is waiting an extra couple minutes for his big friggin mac. get off that high horse before you hit your head, knock out all your teeth and have to use mommy's dental insurance.

sorry, but one thing The Rancor does not stand for is that classism bullshit. most of the people on this board are really lucky. try to remember that. also unless you are a hockey player, and a few missing teeth are a badge of honor, i doubt you would have such a high sense of self if you were missing 3 of your front 4, and both bicuspids. after a week of embarrassment your will to live likely goes down incrementally until some duche gives you shit at McDonalds and you go home and take the rest of your teeth out with a shot gun.
RANT!!!
[/q]

I can only hope the residents of rural New York keep this in mind when they go to the ballot box and put the Republican rhetoric about the evils of socialized medicine, big government, and the "death tax" in the proper perspective.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 11:12AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
If you're lucky, you try to latch on to a job with St. Lawrence or Clarkson with benefits. It's also the reason prisons are not exactly unwelcome in the North Country.[/q]

Upstate politicians love prisons and tough drug sentences because the inmates are counted as residents for budget and districting purposes - but they can't vote.

Re: OT: poverty and socialism
Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:02PM

err.... most of upstate NY is Republican.... and i hope you are right. unfortunately, they all need to move to Ohio and Florida apparently to make a difference, that is when they switch to the light side of the force!;-)

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:13PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

[/q]

How was there a tie in the ECAC playoffs?

Re: OT: poverty and socialism
Date: February 27, 2005 12:28PM

Nothing stops a progressive Republican from favoring health insurance covering those who don't have insurance b/c of their lack of jobs or their crummy jobs. Or stops them from being pro-choice. And still wanting to keep spending in check.

As nothing stops a Democrat from favoring capital punishment. He or she will probably not be asked to dine alongside Senator Kennedy.

Posted by: schoaff (69.33.86.---)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:29PM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

[/Q]
How was there a tie in the ECAC playoffs?[/q]

I believe that was during the era when the quarterfinals were a 2 game affair with a 20 minute "minigame" played immediately after the second game if the series was tied at that point. I know we lost at home to Clarkson in '87 (maybe?) in the minigame.

Edit: I just checked. It was a series at clarkson. We won the first game 5-3 and tied the second 0-0. I think old age is catching up to me since I was a student season ticket holder then and didn't remember this at all. Sigh.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2005 12:32PM by schoaff.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:53PM

[Q]schoaff Wrote:
I believe that was during the era when the quarterfinals were a 2 game affair with a 20 minute "minigame" played immediately after the second game if the series was tied at that point. I know we lost at home to Clarkson in '87 (maybe?) in the minigame.[/q]

And as screwed up as those "mini-game" series were, they were far better (IMHO) than the ridiculous "total goals" series the NCAA used at around the same time. In 1986 Cornell lost in the first round of the NCAAs, splitting the two game series, but losing (I believe by 1) on total goals. That sucked!
Andy

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2005 01:02PM

[Q]schoaff Wrote:
BCrespi Wrote:
Trotsky Wrote:
1989 ECAC QF (D'Alessio, the 0-0 tie)[/Q]
How was there a tie in the ECAC playoffs?[/Q]
I believe that was during the era when the quarterfinals were a 2 game affair with a 20 minute "minigame" played immediately after the second game if the series was tied at that point. I know we lost at home to Clarkson in '87 (maybe?) in the minigame.

Edit: I just checked. It was a series at clarkson. We won the first game 5-3 and tied the second 0-0. I think old age is catching up to me since I was a student season ticket holder then and didn't remember this at all. Sigh.[/q]And what a game that was. You are right about the scores, etc., However the interesting part of the game was seeing CLK pull their goalie to try and win the game and force a minigame. That was when you played a 10 min game after the second game, if the two teams were tied in points. Fortunately with 2 for a win and 1 for a tie, we took the series. It's the only time I can remember a goalie being pulled in a tie game.

Date: February 27, 2005 01:08PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

schoaff Wrote:
I believe that was during the era when the quarterfinals were a 2 game affair with a 20 minute "minigame" played immediately after the second game if the series was tied at that point. I know we lost at home to Clarkson in '87 (maybe?) in the minigame.[/Q]
And as screwed up as those "mini-game" series were, they were far better (IMHO) than the ridiculous "total goals" series the NCAA used at around the same time. In 1986 Cornell lost in the first round of the NCAAs, splitting the two game series, but losing (I believe by 1) on total goals. That sucked!
Andy

[/q]

You're right. I was at that series in Denver. DU won the first game 4-2. Cornell won the second game 4-3, but lost the series 7-6. Our goalie, Doug Dadswell, was pulled at the end of the 2nd game even though we were ahead.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2005 01:13PM

[Q]Steve M Wrote: You're right. I was at that series in Denver. DU won the first game 4-2. Cornell won the second game 4-3, but lost the series 7-6. Our goalie, Doug Dadswell, was pulled at the end of the 2nd game even though we were ahead.

[/q]Forgot about that.

Date: February 27, 2005 01:53PM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:

How was there a tie in the ECAC playoffs?[/q]

In addition to the mini-game format in the late-80s, there was also the "first-to-three-points" format in the mid-90s. The first 2 games were limited to a single, 5-minute OT. Game 3 (if necessary) had unlimited, 20-minute OTs. In the 1997 QF's, Harvard and Cornell tied 2-2 in the first game, setting up a "winner take all" situation in game 2. Guess who took all? :-D

Date: February 27, 2005 02:06PM

Let me tell you a thing or two about the upstate NY economy...

A series of Articles in the D&C:
[democratandchronicle.gannettonline.com]

Just because politicians keep repeating that the economy is "turning a corner" in stump speeches doesn't make it true.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2005 02:13PM by RichH.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 27, 2005 03:51PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:
It's the only time I can remember a goalie being pulled in a tie game.[/q]

I wish it were. Last game of the 1998 regular season, at SLU. The Saints pull the goalie in OT because they need a win for the standings, and score 6x4 in the final seconds.

Date: February 27, 2005 04:04PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

I wish it were. Last game of the 1998 regular season, at SLU. The Saints pull the goalie in OT because they need a win for the standings, and score 6x4 in the final seconds.[/q]

I believe it was with :01 left in OT. Without that miracle, the Saints would have missed the playoffs entirely.

And the next night, Cornell lost in OT to Clarkson as well. Not good times. Bad times.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 27, 2005 04:23PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

I wish it were. Last game of the 1998 regular season, at SLU. The Saints pull the goalie in OT because they need a win for the standings, and score 6x4 in the final seconds.[/Q]
I believe it was with :01 left in OT. Without that miracle, the Saints would have missed the playoffs entirely.

And the next night, Cornell lost in OT to Clarkson as well. Not good times. Bad times.[/q]

OTOH the crappy seed we got in the playoffs as a result set us up for the Sack of Troy the following weekend.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 04:34PM

Whats the concern he causes?

And I'll bet Jay L will miss the Faithful as well. rolleyes

Posted by: kaaren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 27, 2005 06:07PM

Were my eyes deceiving me or did I really see Cowbell Guy doing his cowbell thing last night at Clarkson? Sure "sounded" like it! ;-)

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2005 06:10PM

[Q]kaaren Wrote:

Were my eyes deceiving me or did I really see Cowbell Guy doing his cowbell thing last night at Clarkson? Sure "sounded" like it! [/q]
Cowbell wars on Saturday night... I thought it was hilarious. I was waiting for the kiss-and-make-up joint bell-beating toward the end of the third period, but it never happened. Sad.

Date: February 27, 2005 06:31PM

"Joint bell-beating"? twitch

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login