Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lynah remodel - keeping up with the Joneses

Posted by billhoward 
Lynah remodel - keeping up with the Joneses
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 03:40PM

Another hockey program finds its newer- and bigger-than-Lynah Rink inadequate to the task. The Bulldogs' DECC, built 1966, capacity 5,233, isn't up to snuff for Minnesota-Duluth:

[q]2-3-2005 ... The Duluth (Minn.) Entertainment and Convention Center has chosen local architects in conjunction with renowned HOK Sport to design a new arena that would, among other things, house the UMD hockey programs. According to the Duluth News-Tribune, DECC officials are looking to get planning money from the state Legislature this year and construction money in 2006. Arena construction could start as early as July of 2006 and open for hockey by October of 2008. The DECC anticipates a cost of $45 million for an arena that would see 6,500 for hockey. [www.uscho.com] [/q]

They rank 14thin attendance but they're not playing to capacity crowds right now:

Team	            Dates	AvgAttend	Capacity	% Cap.
Wisconsin   	18	12615	14,385	87.7
N Dakota    	16	10690	11,500	93.0
Minnesota    	18	10490	9,700	108.1
Michigan    	14	6810	6,637	102.6
Colorado C  	18	6736	7,343	91.7
Ohio State  	17	6493	17,500	37.1
NHampshire  	15	6332	6,110	103.6
Denver      	15	6058	6,200	97.7
BC         	           11	5901	7,884	74.8
Neb-Omaha   	16	5899	14,700	40.1
St. Cloud St	14	5863	5,763	101.7
Michigan St 	13	5733	6,470	88.6
Maine       	17	5630	5,587	100.8
Minn-Duluth	           16	4935	5,233	94.3
Boston U     	14	4576	3,684	124.2
Minnesota St	15	4446	4,832	92.0
Alaska-A’age 	14	3974	6,206	64.0
Vermont     	16	3864	4,035	95.8
Dartmouth   	15	3847	4,500	85.5
Cornell     	12	3836	3,836	100.0
Mass Amherst	16	3588	8,389	42.8
AlaskaF’anks	12	3494	4,324	80.8
N Michigan  	14	3417	3,754	91.0
Rensselaer  	17	3221	5,217	61.7
Yale        	13	3098	3,486	88.9
[www.uscho.com]

In other words, $45 million to increase seating by about 1300 (24%) at a time when they're playing to less than capacity crowds already.

Would that this USCHO table have columns for year built and cost in current dollars. Does anyone recall Lynah's construction cost? Multiply that by about 6.2 to get the cost in today's dollars (using a generic CPI calculator, not a construction price index calculator). Yale's Ingalls' rink, also 1958, came in at twice the projected cost, but that was just $1.5 million or about $10 million in current day dollars. The 1975 Dartmouth rink cost $4.4 million or about $16 million (2005 dollars).

Makes we wish Cornell dusts off plans to turn the west end into seating not a white brick wall.

Re: Lynah remodel - keeping up with the Joneses
Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: February 13, 2005 04:44PM

Right at $7k per seat in construction costs. Figure Cornell could do a little better than that - we don't need a Taj Engelstad, say 5k per seat. At $120 per season ticket, it would take 42 years just to pay the initial construction costs. Can't really count on NY, Thompkins County, or Ithaca building a rink for us (maybe we SHOULD start calling ourselves SUNY-Ithaca!). Private donations are obviously the only way to go, unless we want to see how many townies would pony up a $5k seat license [i.e. extortion] fee...

I can't see Cornell needing/wanting more than about 5k seats - 6k is certainly on the high side, so that's $25-30M needed right up front. Pretty steep when Lynah probably meets 80-85% of the current demand "for free."

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 08:55PM

And Lynah exceeds, by a huge margin, any future facility in intimacy, tradition, etc.

Lacking the desire to replace things just for the hell of it, I have never been able to understand the drive to replace Lynah. It's ideal. Leave it alone.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 09:10PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

And Lynah exceeds, by a huge margin, any future facility in intimacy, tradition, etc.

Lacking the desire to replace things just for the hell of it, I have never been able to understand the drive to replace Lynah. It's ideal. Leave it alone.[/q]
While I share that sentiment, I must admit to not knowing whether a 47-year-old rink of sub-4,000 capacity is a detriment to recruiting the kind of player needed to get Cornell hockey to the level Mike Schafer wants--and intends--to take it.

Date: February 13, 2005 09:35PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote: And Lynah exceeds, by a huge margin, any future facility in intimacy, tradition, etc. Lacking the desire to replace things just for the hell of it, I have never been able to understand the drive to replace Lynah. It's ideal. Leave it alone.[/q] The suburbs are the place where, once you and your kind get in, you and your kind want to keep out everyone else and their kind. If you have season tickets, you're a happy camper. It's reasonable to wonder if Cornell could not bring the joys of Cornell ice hockey to 5,000, not 3,800, fans each winter. That the waiting list is, say, 500 names long (I'm making that # up) doesn't mean there aren't two or five times that many people who would buy season tickets if they had the chance. And who's to say Cornell couldn't grow the audience? Wisonsin more than doubled its facility in 1998 and it's still just about full.

The most cost-effective step would be to put seats in the west end, assuming that doesn't make the rest of the roof fall in. And the most cost-effective way to do this cost-effective step would be to troll for one donor who wants the wing named in his or her honor, or maybe they share the building name. I don't think you're going to be able to raise ticket prices to the level that includes the mortgage payment on the seat.

All this happens after Cornell fixes up the locker rooms so they're competitive with other Top Ten D1 schools have.

And yes, maybe there is a place for an upper tier box, glassed in, for well-heeled hockey supporters. People who grouse about corporate boxes at pro sporting events are the ones who haven't been invited into them. I'm proud to say I love them and I wish more people invited me to them, not just once every couple years. By the way, the Yankees' corporate boxes are dumps. You have to - gag - eat pretty much the same food as the regular fans. On the other hand, it's free (excluding the implicit quid pro quo of your business or your friendship that the box holder is looking for), and somebody brings beer to you. If it rains, you stay dry. If it's humid, you keep the glass windows shut and crank up the air conditioning (which causes the windows to fog up - see, luxury boxes aren't without their drawbacks). If you miss the play, it's on instant replay and not the crappy low-res jumbotron 400 feet away. If you have to go to the bathroom, it's a few steps away. The only drawback is you have to shake hands and exchange business cards very properly with Mister Yoshimuraki, or tell the folks at Carter-Fladstone Industries how much you think they're developing a new paradigm for the future of in-place concrete cast highway barrricades.

More seriously: If I did a luxury box, and I'm not the guy with the pockets to pay for it, I'd make it seat 100 and half the seats would be for the backers. The other half would be for players' parents or girlfriends *if that's where they want to sit* and maybe ten seats are drawn per game or per year by lottery to members of the Ithaca Hockey Boosters who couldn't afford this kind of stuff but who are loyal fans. Or maybe by lottery to anyone who's been a season ticket holder for ten years.

One of the things I dislike about present-day America is the belief that it's immoral for those who are well off to, once they've paid and paid their taxes, to lead the good life. Sure, if you buy a Ferrari, you're drawing down our hydrocarbon reserve, but only 1,000 Ferraristas a year do that and most of them drive < 3,000 miles a year, by the way. Bill Gates does not endanger America's highway safety buying a Porsche 959 that doesn't have 5 mph bumpers.

So, no, I'm not necessarily pushing for Lynah Rink II. But I do hope Cornell gives serious thought to adding on to Lynah now, while the team is hot, while we have a hot coach, while we have a president who loves hockey (Jeff not George).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2005 09:37PM by billhoward.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 09:36PM

[q]While I share that sentiment, I must admit to not knowing whether a 47-year-old rink of sub-4,000 capacity is a detriment to recruiting the kind of player needed to get Cornell hockey to the level Mike Schafer wants--and intends--to take it. [/q]One of the big selling points of the Cornell program is the Lynah experience. I keep reading quotes of players who were sold on Cornell after coming to their first game at Lynah. Now maybe there are plenty of others who walk away saying "That place is pretty loud, but they don't have a weight room in the building and the coaches office is upstairs, so lI think I'll go elsewhere."

I assure you, 3800 filled seats are better than 4500 capacity without sellouts.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 09:38PM

the plans to increase lynah have taken a hit with the new life sciences building going on line.. of the 3 projects that were in the works the south west annex is a go, the west end project that may or may not have included seating is pretty much a dead deal and the north west end project probably will get the go ahead but may get changed when the final life sciences plans go in.. it seems to me that if/when a new lynah ever goes on line it will happen at a new site probably towards the south of campus.. it also seems that you could could add some seating (maybe 5000 tops) and still create a building with the same lines and feel... but i also doubt we could sell 5000 on a consistent basis, right now the demand for season tickets only adds a few hundred people..

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 10:17PM

interestingly enough when I was back on campus last year most weekends visiting my now wife at the vet school, I heard a lot of talk about cornell moving athletic facilities further off campus, near where the new baseball fields are going over by game farm road. it seems strange considering the new stands, the new wall, the wrestling center. i dont know, there were rumors. no clue about itl, though, and no validation. anyone heard any of these musings?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 10:33PM

I think its going to eventually become necessary. In the next few years the alumni fields behind Bartels are going to be filled in with buildings, and that will leave all the grass sports without practice fields. They are going to have to make up for that with some sort of practice fields somewhere else. I think Cornell's drive for state of the art research facilities is stronger than their drive for good atheltic programs.

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: February 13, 2005 10:55PM

Ugh. I think an off-campus rink (ok, so Cornell probably owns land contiguously out to the game farm, but that's still off-campus as far as I'm concerned) would be a serious blow to Cornell hockey fandom. I just can't see any way that I'd be convinced that a 5000 seat off-campus sterile box could be better for the Cornell hockey program than playing in Lynah Rink.

Posted by: rich (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 12:05AM

After 23 years of seasons tickets and 23 years of knees in the back, it is time for some comfy seats, even if it is a few bucks more than what we are paying now. I buy four seasons tickets ( for two adults and two of my kids). If BU can do it, so can CORNEll! When we have seen the good, the bad and the ugly, lets have some good for ourselves for once. We deserve it as fans and our team deserves it . It could be a great recruiting tool as well.

Posted by: Mr. Timekeeper (132.236.144.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 09:23AM

I couldn't agree more! Yes, make improvements--better and more seating; improved locker, training and fittness rooms; improve the press facilities and offices, and, sorry, install netting, etc., but PLEASE keep the character and location intact. To build a new rink out in East Ithaca somewhere would be an unforgivable insult to everyone (players and their families, coaches, "bandies", fans, etc.) ever associated with Lynah since 1957, and the Cornell Hockey programs would suffer.

Posted by: Nate 04 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 10:46AM

I think it'd be too bad to keep moving fields off campus. As a student and huge sports fan, I enjoyed taking a stroll up to watch an occasional track meet, soccer game or baseball game. I always wanted to go watch a friend play tennis or catch one of the softball or polo games, but they are played too far away for just the spur of the moment stroll to watch a game. While Cornell is committed to being a research university and academics come first, it still needs to think about it's students and their happiness (we do pay a few of the bills). For a lot of us sports are a big part of our lives and supporting our classmates on the playing field is just as important as cheering on the microbiology researchers.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 11:05AM

[Q]Nate 04 Wrote:

I think it'd be too bad to keep moving fields off campus. As a student and huge sports fan, I enjoyed taking a stroll up to watch an occasional track meet, soccer game or baseball game. I always wanted to go watch a friend play tennis or catch one of the softball or polo games, but they are played too far away for just the spur of the moment stroll to watch a game. While Cornell is committed to being a research university and academics come first, it still needs to think about it's students and their happiness (we do pay a few of the bills). For a lot of us sports are a big part of our lives and supporting our classmates on the playing field is just as important as cheering on the microbiology researchers.[/q]

Seconded. I've actually stopped to watch a baseball game because I was walking by it. And honestly, while I'm sure nanotechnology is important, I couldn't tell you why Cornell built a building for it, or why they had to put it in the middle of a perfectly nice, grassy engineering quad. Same goes for any buildings planned for Alumni Fields - why can't graduate research go further off campus?

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.natick.army.mil)
Date: February 14, 2005 11:16AM

Cornell certainly is suffering some growing pains, and space is at a premium these days. That said, there are tons of politics involved in getting anything built and master planning is a minefield. I heard very few good reasons for why the new biotech center is being built on the practice fields instead of on the Ag quad which really needs a building to close the space where Roberts/Stone Halls used to be (North of Trillium). There seems to be plenty of odd decisions happenning recently (what ever happened to that monstrosity of an idea for replacing Rand Hall?) and there is a lot of work that must be done (I know that there has been talk of upgrading and relocating the physical plant (power plant) at a location further south of campus (the "orchards" already have ceded some land to librayr storage among other projects). When the new nanotech facility was being proposed I recommended that it be sited where the powerplant is now, a great flag ship building at the entrance, easy access for chemicals delivery on Rt366 and reuse of an already chemically impacted site).

I suppose a kick ass hockey rink and parking structure could also be placed at that entrance as an alternative ???

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 11:49AM

[q]I suppose a kick ass hockey rink and parking structure could also be placed at that entrance as an alternative ???[/q]We already have a kick ass hockey rink...

Posted by: jeh25 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: February 14, 2005 12:14PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:
why they had to put it in the middle of a perfectly nice, grassy engineering quad.[/q]

To hide the rest of the engineering quad?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 12:57PM

The nanotech facility was sited where it is because it's multi-disciplinary, and they hoped to encourage cross-pollination among the departments most likely to participate.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 01:23PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

I suppose a kick ass hockey rink and parking structure could also be placed at that entrance as an alternative ???[/Q]
We already have a kick ass hockey rink...[/q]

A kick-ass atmosphere, yes...rink? Certainly the rink helps create the atmosphere (banners, fans packed on top of each other), but still the concessions, restrooms, walkway, sound system are woeful. I don't know how the weight room, seminar/study rooms, offices, hall-of-fame room, and training room is?

My first choice would probably be to try to build a palace around Lynah, giving the program the first-class support facilites the coaches, players, and fans deserve (and recruits seem to love). I'd like to see some expansion to add seats on the west end, however. Such an approach should be able to retain most of the atmosphere inside the rink, maybe even add to it.

There will come a time, however, that Lynah will need to be replaced. I hope Cornell doesn't wait too long and find themselves having to build a facility on the edge of campus because all the land is built upon -- or, having to have the hockey team play all their games on the road for a year or two while Lynah is replaced on the spot (which happened to the Syracuse football team when the Dome was built). As much as I understand students wanting to be able to walk to a baseball game, I'd move that field in a second if I could have a state-of-the-art hockey facility attached to the parking garage.

I also believe that if marketed aggressively Cornell could fill a 5,000 seat facility with ease. It's the best game in town regardless of the time of year.

Posted by: Tom14850 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 01:24PM

It's true that students pay some of the bills, but Cornell has long ago decided to attract students based on the quality of its academic offerings. I bet 99% of the time that Cornell is mentioned in the press, it is because of an academic endeavor. The more press coverage, the more awareness in the minds of potential students, even if the awareness filters through a few levels of society.

Secondly, and much more importantly, nanotechnology and other related academic buildings offer the opportunity to recruit better faculty, secure more grant funding, and do more research with the hopes of developing a product worthy of big fat new patent (CHA-CHING). This marriage of patent development, industry, and academia is a fascinating topic and is far more powerful than you might be aware. The hockey boosters can't compete, I assure you.

Compared to these priorities (increase the press for academic-related endeavors, recruit better faculty, win more grant funding, and develop patents), the sports programs are barely token gestures to the students and community to keep the masses happy.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2005 04:48PM by Tom14850.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 03:31PM

Mind you, the recruiting of better faculty and increases in research grants do very little to change the quality of undergraduate education. Cornell, along with many other universities seems set on being known for 'academic excellence' while spending very little money on actual undergraduate education. Instead Day Hall often wants to spend money on those big attention- getting programs (nano-tech, mars rovers, life sciences initiative, etc.) and have the limelight from these successes translate into a reputation for overall great education. It seems that if they could get away with completely killing athletics, slope day, big-name performers [Ludacris/ Moby/ Counting Crows/ Jurassic 5], cornell fitness centers, the greek system (all core parts of undergraduate life), they would do it just to save money.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: February 14, 2005 03:51PM

Deleted/duplicate. See following
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2005 03:55PM by ninian '72.

Date: February 14, 2005 03:54PM

Go, Bill! I really like the point about the untapped potential fanbase. I may be swimming against the tide, but I think an overriding goal should be that anyone who wants to see a Cornell hockey game on any given night should be able to do so. The line should become a dead tradition. Maybe this will result in some empty seats against teams like Onion, but will this detract from the Lynah experience? Geez, have some faith in yourselves!

I guess we're doomed to keep rehashing these old issues until some concrete gets poured someday. For what it's worth, I was in grad school at Michigan when their team played at a rink very much like Lynah - even smaller. The regulars loved it, because they were close to the ice, and there was a small-town, family feel to Michigan hockey games, with a loyal fan base, even if they were cellar-dwellers in the WCHA at the time. Yost was a run-down ex-basketball white elephant on Central Campus. I don't know how the decision was made to move the hockey program there, but giving them that new/old facility transformed the sport at Michigan. A new coach was hired, they started beating the likes of Wisconsin, weekend hockey games became a popular attraction for students, the band started attending, and the place rocked, even in those days before the Lynah road show had educated their fans. A bigger place won't kill the traditions, if you don't let it. What it will mean is that the Lynah faithful will become a less exclusive club, which I think will benefit Cornell hockey, Cornell, and Ithaca in the long run. The unwashed masses will pick it up in a hurry. Take a road trip to Ann Arbor , and see your future.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 05:17PM

I think I'm just bitter because I had to spend three years walking around the construction. It was especially hard freshman year when I spent most of November on crutches and there was no easy way to get to Upson or Kimball (i.e. half my classes).

My point (better expressed by Ben) remains the same - these facilities do very little for the quality of undergraduate life and can actually detract from it. I'm still not convinced that these extra buildings ought to be built on athletic fields. They require more faculty/staff/researchers in the middle of campus, thus take up more parking, open space, etc, and are used by a very small number of undergraduate students. Where's the harm in placing it father away? (Arguably, the athletic fields are used by a small percentage of students...but I suspect they're used more often then we realize. I've seen the band practice on the baseball field and ROTC uses Alumni Fields for athletics days. There must be more groups out there that also use them.)

It's lovely that my Cornell degree might have a little extra cachet to it the next time I apply for a job because the University has a glossier reputation...but at that point I think 8 years in the Navy will have a bigger effect on my resume. In the meantime, I care more about the non-academic reasons I came to Cornell - Greek life, a solid DI program with a marquee sport, and GRASS. (While an extreme example, I hated Columbia simply because it had two grassy spots on campus, and you could only use them if an appropriately colored flag was raised. Ugh.) I'm here for a complete college experience and I can't help but feel that Cornell's more concerned about research and its so-called "transnational" status than its undergrads.

Date: February 14, 2005 05:36PM

What's going to happen 20 years from now is that Cornell's going to be run out of free space, the grassy spaces having been taken for academic buildings. There's no way the U is going to buy up buildings and level them to make playing fields. It would make financial sense (sort of) to replace a building with a bigger building.

Maybe it's time for Cornell to consider expanding south into Collegetown?

One wonders if Barton Hall's days are numbered (long term).

It's great there are recreational fields near North Campus. Too bad nothing for West Campus. If Cornell pushes team sports fields out to the extremities of campus, it kills support for some of the lesser sports.

I suppose, sigh, that Cornell is an academic entity first, not a collection of sports teams interrupted by coursework. But as others have noted, a lot of what's being built on campus underscores Cornell's reputation as a mega-research facility and doesn't help its undergraduate standing. At Amherst, say, there's no question where undergraduate education stands in the pecking order.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 05:47PM

actually, the fields (not playing fields) over by game farm really are NOT that far away. granted it would be a hike to walk from anywhere that students would live, but it isnt all the way to varna - well, maybe it is :)
just get the bus routes going and people will drive. only problem would be parking...another garage?
cornell owns a lot of land off campus, a LOT. i wonder if moving the orchards, as much as i would hate it, may come in the future if campus expands that way...

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 05:51PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:

Take a road trip to Ann Arbor , and see your future.[/q]

Could be tough...according to Bill's chart, they're playing to 102.6% capacity. According to their website there's a waiting list for season tickets, and one can add their name to the list via the website (what a novel idea).

Date: February 14, 2005 05:56PM

Cornell should consider becoming the first Ivy school with its own monorail system. Then it wouldn't matter how far away the fields were.

Maybe some dorms out there, too? Luxury apartments with covered parking for students with nice cars?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 06:38PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Cornell should consider becoming the first Ivy school with its own monorail system. Then it wouldn't matter how far away the fields were. [/q]
I hear South Ogdenville had one of those, and things didn't work out.

Kyle

Date: February 14, 2005 06:47PM

Mono.. doh!

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 14, 2005 07:19PM

[Q]krose Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Cornell should consider becoming the first Ivy school with its own monorail system. Then it wouldn't matter how far away the fields were. [/Q]

Kyle
[/q]

Eh, it put North Haverbrook on the map.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.s1644.apx2.lnhdc.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 08:36PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

It would make financial sense (sort of) to replace a building with a bigger building.

[/q]

You may be right, but I would hate to see that become general policy in planning. I've had that experience elsewhere, and while it makes it possible to squeeze more activities into a given acreage, the campus loses a lot of its character when the old stone and brick buildings are replaced by the megaboxes. In Ann Arbor they built a North Campus where they moved a number of the professional schools when they ran out of room on the main campus. Harvard is currently developing a large plot of land they own in Alston with the same long-range plan in mind. Maybe Cornell should consider this alternative, before the current campus is completely filled in.

Date: February 14, 2005 09:27PM

(A little knowledge about urban planning is a dangerous thing, but here goes): Density is a good thing, up to a point. It creates vibrancy. Think of Lynah Rink. Think of midtown Manhattan at holiday season. Which is a better place to be: downtown NY or downtown LA? New York City sprawled upwards and that's okay, so long as it's a mix of three, twelve, and forty story buildings (plus good mass transit); if every building is forty stories, it's too crowded. Too much density slows everyone down, raises tempers, you can't get around. Boston or SF or Philadelphia or Chicago, perhaps that's the perfect amount of urban density.

Ithaca is rural but Cornell has space/density issues. At Cornell: Consider a couple of new six or eight, maybe even ten-story buildings vs. twice as many three or four story buildings on campus. The former keeps a plot of grass intact. (More likely keeps it intact so it can be taken away twenty years later.) Plus not every old Cornell building is architecturally significant. Most people believe if there are four buildings of the same genre, two or three can go bye-bye.

Not that you should do it, but imagine the view if you had buildings along some of the gorge. Over time I suspect Cornell is going to have some of the encroachment-on-Collegetown issues that Harvard has with Cambridge and Allston. Over time, the college wins, because if it doesn't get the building this sale, it gets it the next sale. I lived in a house abutting the Smith College campus for a while (nice if you're a single guy, embarrassing as hell if you're a single guy and still can't get a date) and my landlady held out and I think it's now owned by a niece or nephew. But in ten or twenty years, the Sophia Smith Trust will probably hold title.

Happy 51st Birthday Matt
Posted by: jeh25 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: February 15, 2005 08:46AM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

krose Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Cornell should consider becoming the first Ivy school with its own monorail system. Then it wouldn't matter how far away the fields were. [/Q]

Kyle
[/Q]
Eh, it put North Haverbrook on the map.[/q]

Ironically, today is Matt's 51st birthday!

Date: February 16, 2005 10:40AM

And the Coliseum NEVER sold out. We can attritute the athletic department's conversion of Yost to incredible vision under the circumstances. However, they just may have been making lemonade. The Coliseum was in even worse shape than Yost, and they had to do something with the Yost site, given its highly visible and central location. This was probably the cheapest alternative available to them. Since Cornell obviously doesn't have a large, surplus barn anyplace, the incentives for building a new rink would be entirely different.

Date: February 16, 2005 11:45AM

Now there's an idea: an ice surface in the middle of Barton Hall.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 11:47AM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:
Since Cornell obviously doesn't have a large, surplus barn anyplace,[/q]

With all due respect to ROTC, Barton Hall seems underutilized. whistle

Posted by: puff (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 12:02PM

How so? Being a ROTC grad i may have a bias, but when you concider the sports practices that happen in there. Winter its often full of people working out in the evenings/during the day. IMs use it for several sports such as volleyball and b-ball.
And then the track weight room, the throwing cage, CUPD, etc.
Events such as concerts.
And finally the ROTC bit.

But, i will admit the indoor track could go out the door to be replaced with a nice sheet of ice:-D. Sell it as something like winter training or something.

Date: February 16, 2005 12:03PM

You guys don't disappoint. I wondered how long it would take...

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 12:23PM

[Q]puff Wrote:
How so? Being a ROTC grad i may have a bias, but when you concider the sports practices that happen in there. Winter its often full of people working out in the evenings/during the day. IMs use it for several sports such as volleyball and b-ball.
And then the track weight room, the throwing cage, CUPD, etc.
Events such as concerts.
And finally the ROTC bit.[/q]And don't forget it's home to the best pep band in the ECAC.

Date: February 16, 2005 12:27PM

i'll be honest, being with the navy i find it hard not to forget about the army and airforce. nut The only reason i remembered CUPD downstairs was they found my keys the day before i moved to florida a month ago.
I'll be honest, when i think of the pepband i relate them to Lynah, not Barton.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 12:41PM

Not just sports practices, but actual sports. Both indoor track teams compete and train in Barton. (And they do very well there, btw.) There are tons of collegiate and high-school track meets (on the state level) held there each year. ROTC, multi-sport intramurals, CUPD, and the Big Red Bands all make their home in Barton. Not to mention that it is the only place usuable for large-scale indoor events such as convocations, concerts, and speeches (until Bailey reopens after renovation).

Spending millions for a retro-fit of an older building and displacing all those campus organizations when a very good ice facility exists a couple hundred yards up the hill is a gigantic waste of money. IMO. And if any of you suggest a multi-use facility, then you'll have the Syracuse War Memorial. Ick. Try telling recruits "yeah, we've got a new facility in an old building, and we won't be able to use it all the time."

It may have been great timing and a great idea for UMich, but this is a HORRIBLE idea for Cornell right now. Probably the worst idea discussed up to this point.

If you want to see program that desperately needed a new facility, go look at the old Ohio State rink, where they used to play before the Schott. Think Cass Park, only enclosed and more ghetto.

Obviously, count me in the "keep Lynah" camp.

Date: February 16, 2005 01:06PM

It's a nice pipe dream, but it has these obvious problems. At Michigan everything that used to take place at Yost had been moved to the Crisler Arena several years prior, and Cornell doesn't have that kind of facility to absorb displaced events. I don't know whether multi-use is feasible. Lynah could still be used for practices, intra-mural games, lessons, and general skates, which would reduce the impact of an ice sheet in Barton. The real crunch would probably be scheduling, even if Barton were used only for games. It's likely that a lot of conflicts would result from adding a full hockey schedule into the mix.

Date: February 16, 2005 01:07PM

My comment was meant to be a tongue in cheek response to "large, surplus barn", not a serious proposal to convert Barton to a rink. rolleyes That said, alternative homes come be found for just about every program mentioned other than the track teams. Maybe someone should have thought about that when they designed the new field house.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 01:53PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:

In Ann Arbor they built a North Campus where they moved a number of the professional schools when they ran out of room on the main campus. Harvard is currently developing a large plot of land they own in Alston with the same long-range plan in mind. Maybe Cornell should consider this alternative, before the current campus is completely filled in.
[/q]

Yup, professional schools like the School of Music, School of Architecture, Art, and Planning, and School of Engineering. Just a bunch of wacky graduate students tooling about in labs, right? Nope. These are both for undergrads and grads.

Michigan also has a huge, largely freshman dorm (Bursley), grad student housing, and (formerly) married student housing up there. Oh, and there's a big bell tower (without a clock, mind you, because it's modern!) that looks rather more anatomically correct than Freudian analysis requires.

And what wonderful carriage transports the assembled masses back and forth between North Campus and the "real" campus? The bus. The stinking bus. The get caught in Ann Arbor traffic bus. The "I spent 7 good years of my life in that damn town and much of it was spent staring out the windows of said" bus. The bus sucks. I can't even begin to tell you how much. It would require at least 3 and one half years of Lynah Faithful vs. Harvard quantities of "Sucks!" to get close.

So, effectively, one third of the students are cut off from the rest of the students. Really fosters interdiscipinary exchange, hunh? Guess what the best idea I've heard has been to connect the two campuses: a monorail.

The relationship of Michigan's North Campus to Ann Arbor and the rest of the university is a wonderful advertisement for any school seeking to do the same. Cut off in NC's "suburban modern utopian garden campus" any student will feel second class to those that walk amongst the people.

Oh, and did I mention that the architecture sucks? Notice how the building is deemphasized in this picture, perhaps because it looks like an ugly, brick spaceship has landed in a garden:

[www.music.umich.edu]

Another view:

The "bell tower:"

[www.cfd.tu-berlin.de]

Other favorites:

That last one was the architecture school...

I have nightmares about Cornell turning into Michigan's North Campus.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2005 02:04PM by Scersk '97.

Date: February 16, 2005 02:10PM

That's an ugly bell tower.

Date: February 16, 2005 02:47PM

See those two "outbuildings?" See that red and white vertical "feature?" They aren't replicated on the other side of the "building"...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 02:59PM

UM looks like the Bechtel Corporate HQ.

That isn't a compliment.

Date: February 16, 2005 02:59PM

Yup, I lived a year on North Campus before I got out. Got a car as soon as I could, to free myself at least on weekends and evenings. In defense of the Music Building, Eero Saarinen seems to have designed it from the inside out. The layout of rehearsal and performance space, studios, and practice and classroom space serves the needs of their large enrollment awfully well.

The flip side here would be to compare the insipid architecture of North Campus to Mason and Haven Halls (even more nondescript megaboxes) on Central Campus. Now find a volume of older pictures of the campus, and see what once stood on the Mason/Haven site - a terrific old building called University Hall that was first dwarfed by Angell Hall and then obliterated by the boxes. I don't know which is a worse option - destroying whatever character is left on Central Campus or building a satellite campus to handle growth. There's no good solution for a university that size. Cornell has done a much better job balancing preservation of its architectural heritage with the need to upgrade facilities. Replacing Boardman with Olin generated a lot of unhappiness at the time, and hopefully they learned from that mistake how to do this intelligently, eyesores like the Engineering Quad and Uris Hall notwithstanding.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2005 03:39PM by ninian '72.

Date: February 16, 2005 03:17PM

Fortuntely there are still a few decent buildings on the Central Campus, even though the architecture tends to be blocky and graceless. Hill Auditorium, the Rackham Graduate School building, the Hatcher Graduate Library, the Law Quad, and perhaps Angell Hall, which looks like GS on steroids. I suspect that if the current Michigan planning staff worked for Cornell, most of the Arts Quad would be long gone.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2005 03:24PM by ninian '72.

Date: February 16, 2005 03:39PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:
See those two "outbuildings?" See that red and white vertical "feature?" They aren't replicated on the other side of the "building"...[/q]Heh. I'm beginning to see your point. laugh

Date: February 16, 2005 04:19PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:

Yup, I lived a year on North Campus before I got out. Got a car as soon as I could, to free myself at least on weekends and evenings. In defense of the Music Building, Eero Saarinen seems to have designed it from the inside out. The layout of rehearsal and performance space, studios, and practice and classroom space serves the needs of their large enrollment awfully well.
[/q]
Aside from the rehearsal areas and, perhaps, the studios, I actually think that the music building is largely unsuccessful. Perhaps it served the music school well at one time, but now it's overcrowded and showing its inadequacies.

The classrooms, frankly, are awful to teach in. The ones on the West side, being below ground level, are dark dingy holes. The ones on the East side can be nice in the afternoon, when sleepy students can gaze out at the pond and fountain, but are blinding in the morning, forcing the shades to be closed. Soundproofing seems not to have been a consideration. Ear-training is difficult.

Being a musicologist (still writing, for those who were wondering), I spent an inordinate amount of time in the library, which is about as schizophrenic of a space as you can find. The bottom floor gets the most light of any area in the building and the central "atrium" gives the impression of cathedral space. Nice idea, but it wasn't executed right. I'm sure that there's a skylight missing. You can almost feel the cantilevered concrete sagging under the weight of more books than it was designed for. (And that wasn't many books to begin with.) It's very noisy, since it's the only pleasant place to "lounge" in the building.

The practice room area is dark, dingy, and, once again, lacks soundproofing. Many cubicles have been turned into professor's offices to deal with the overcrowding, so supply is scarce.

From a design standpoint, there is far too little natural lighting for public spaces. The corridors are too wide, wasting space, and too dark--it's like rooting around in a tunnel to find the holes to the outside (classrooms, doors). There's a very bad flow problem with the central staircase and traffic jams of people often result. The bathrooms would make the old Soviet Union proud. In fact, interior-design-wise, the furniture and assorted amenities of the building remind me of the bathrooms.

Nice site, bad building. Having seen some of Saarinen's other better designs (for example, The Whale and his entry for the Chicago Tribune tower competition), I wonder when he started smoking the big-ugly-box-not-meant-for-people weed.

Date: February 16, 2005 04:32PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:
You can almost feel the cantilevered concrete sagging under the weight of more books than it was designed for.[/q]

Speaking of buildings collapsing, what's the deal with Martha Van Rennselaer Hall? Wasn't it condemned? In driving around campus last fall if ever there were a corner of campus to be redeveloped this is it. I had to look on map to remember/learn the names of these buildings. My apologies if your major was based here but what the heck goes on in Kinzelberg Hall or Newman Lab?

Date: February 16, 2005 05:08PM

[Back from Michigan and diesel shuttles, Olin Library, back more or less On Topic (and it was all fun to read):] A Lynah replacement is out of the question any time soon and perhaps fraught with perils worse than the existing building, like a sterile 6,000-seat arena being locating a long walk from anywhere students live on campus.

A Lynah expansion appears not to be in the near-term offing. But it would be good to keep the topic bubbling (one point of this thread) and in the minds of the athletic department and the administration. Maybe there'll be a biotech boom that surpasses the Internet boom of the 1990s and some happy Class of '87 graduate-now-billionaire whose happiest days were in Lynah will offer up $5- to $10-million to add 1,250 seats at the West End. Cornell would turn that down?

At minimum, the ice has to be good (fixed a couple years ago, right?) and the locker rooms / training area ought to be the equal of at least half the other Top Twenty programs. There's already the huge disadvantage of of no athletic scholarships (assuming the recruit gets in and can stay in) set off the advantage of the Ivy League education.

I should have brought a tape measure to Yale and Princeton to determine seat pitch (distance back of one row to the same place in the row just ahead). Off the cuff, Lynah feels like the last rows of a MD-80 and Yale/Princeton feel like Economy Plus. Yale holds 3400 people, Cornell holds 3800 sardines in red. That is a disadvantage for everyone older than about 25.

To me, the biggest problem is that there are probably 5,000 to 6,000 people who would come (immediately or with a couple years of development work) to most every Cornell game if Cornell continues as a Top Twenty team most years and they can't be accommodated in Lynah now.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 08:33PM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

Scersk '97 Wrote:
You can almost feel the cantilevered concrete sagging under the weight of more books than it was designed for.[/Q]
Speaking of buildings collapsing, what's the deal with Martha Van Rennselaer Hall? Wasn't it condemned? In driving around campus last fall if ever there were a corner of campus to be redeveloped this is it. I had to look on map to remember/learn the names of these buildings. My apologies if your major was based here but what the heck goes on in Kinzelberg Hall or Newman Lab?[/q]

The new wing of Martha Van was condemned several years ago. It was going to be torn down and rebuilt, but Pataki cut the funds out of the state budget.

Newman Lab is part of the physics department, the particle physics end. Professors, post docs, and grad students have offices there. The thory group. Machine shop. Drafting room. Superconducting RF group. The building behind it on the other side of the drive is connected. It housed a series of electron synchrotrons until the one under Upper Alumni Field was built in late 1960's.

Kinzelberg Hall is a lecture hall in Division of Nutrional Sciences
[www.nutrition.cornell.edu]

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.74.---)
Date: February 16, 2005 09:08PM

More than anything, I would like to see some sort of renovations that would make section C a student section and therefore unify the entire side as students.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: February 16, 2005 09:17PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

More than anything, I would like to see some sort of renovations that would make section C a student section and therefore unify the entire side as students.[/q]
I've never understood why they put the boosters on the student side instead of on the townie side. Clearly, they want a center-ice position, but why break up the student sections? It's not like they stand up for the entire game.

Kyle

Date: February 16, 2005 09:28PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

More than anything, I would like to see some sort of renovations that would make section C a student section and therefore unify the entire side as students.[/q]
Amen, Ari. This is something I can really get behind and would absolutely love to see.

However, this has been brought up before, and the general reaction from boosters has been "no way I'm giving up my center ice seats," which is precisely the same reaction from section M ticket holders when it's suggested to either move the boosters across the ice or flop the students to J-O.

I've sat in Section C for a couple games this season, and it isn't a fun place to be for various reasons.

Date: February 16, 2005 10:11PM

If Cornell were to expand the locker-room end of the rink and put seating there, they could make the new sections for students instead of D E F & G. On top of completely connecting the student section, this would have the added bonus of wrapping students around the end of the ice with the visiting goaltender for two periods, making their life more hellish.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2005 10:11PM by Ben Rocky 04.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.74.---)
Date: February 16, 2005 10:31PM

I guess there are a couple options, but really, I think it would be unbelievable if they could get four or five straight sections of students. It seems inevitable that at some point they will put seats in on scoreboard side. That will be a good day just because they will be able to get more people in and hopefully join the student sections somehow.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 10:34PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
More than anything, I would like to see some sort of renovations that would make section C a student section and therefore unify the entire side as students.[/Q]
key phrase: "some sort of renovations that would make section C a student section" ... without this clause it could never happen.
[Q]krose Wrote:
I've never understood why they put the boosters on the student side instead of on the townie side. Clearly, they want a center-ice position, but why break up the student sections? It's not like they stand up for the entire game.[/Q]
here's a little exercise that might help us understand why.
for the sake of argument let's assume (b/c I don’t know the real numbers) that sections C and M seat ~200 people; the students pay ~$8/game while the general public is charged ~$15/game. This “switch” would cost athletics $1400/game and over a 15 game home schedule $21,000 in lost revenue/year. now you have to look at displacing those in section M in favor of the boosters. again, assuming for the sake of argument there is no difference in ticket price; you are reducing the capacity of "full paying" tickets by 200 seats. 200 seats x $15 game x 15 home games = $45,000/year in displaced or lost profit. as much as i agree i'd love to see a unified student section A-E/F … i'm fairly certain it’s not going to happen without someone giving athletics a check for $66,000 every year.
or the $8-10 M donation to add the seats on the west end of the rink.

[Q]RichH Wrote:
Amen, Ari. This is something I can really get behind and would absolutely love to see.
However, this has been brought up before, and the general reaction from boosters has been "no way I'm giving up my center ice seats," which is precisely the same reaction from section M ticket holders when it's suggested to either move the boosters across the ice or flop the students to J-O.[/Q]
as much fun as a student section behind the opposing bench would be ... it's just not gonna happen.

just some thoughts :-)

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 10:48PM

Your math isn't right. Moving the boosters from C to M is a wash in terms of booster ticket sales. It does replace townie seats in M with student seats in C, with the resulting loss in revenue. But that assumes that making C a student section adds a student section to the rink. It's much more likely that you would replace one student section on the east end with a townie section. So no net loss in revenue.

It still won't happen of course. They don't want to piss off the displaced townies in M or the boosters in C. These people are much mroe likely to give money to the program outside of ticket sales than current students.

Date: February 16, 2005 11:00PM

problem solved ... although, like you said, it still won't happen.
(btw ... the math is/was correct, the thought process was the problem)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2005 11:02PM by ben03.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 08:01AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I guess there are a couple options, but really, I think it would be unbelievable if they could get four or five straight sections of students. It seems inevitable that at some point they will put seats in on scoreboard side. That will be a good day just because they will be able to get more people in and hopefully join the student sections somehow. [/q]

That's kind of like what BU did. The band and student sections were on opposite sides of the ice at Walter Brown, with no seats on the end. At Agganis, they're unified in one section behind the opponents' goal.

I think most of the Section C denizens on this board would be happy to see the section returned to the students if we were given the option of being grandfathered into our "seats" and expected to stand like everyone else. (I'd much rather stand in section C than sit anywhere.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.natick.army.mil)
Date: February 17, 2005 09:35AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

It has been some time since I have made it to a game at Lynah... but would fans standing the whole time in Section C have any impact on the visibility from the press area as well? I cant remember how raised they are...

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 12:03PM

[Q]Cornell95 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

More than anything, I would like to see some sort of renovations that would make section C a student section and therefore unify the entire side as students.[/Q]
It has been some time since I have made it to a game at Lynah... but would fans standing the whole time in Section C have any impact on the visibility from the press area as well? I cant remember how raised they are...[/q]I don't think that is a problem. Some people in the top row stand.

Date: February 17, 2005 12:06PM

[Q]krose Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

I've never understood why they put the boosters on the student side instead of on the townie side. Clearly, they want a center-ice position, but why break up the student sections? It's not like they stand up for the entire game.

Kyle[/q]
I'd have to yield to anyone with better remembrance, but I think they were dividing the students up on purpose. Partially in response to the language, cheer issues.

Date: February 17, 2005 12:08PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
I think most of the Section C denizens on this board would be happy to see the section returned to the students if we were given the option of being grandfathered into our "seats" and expected to stand like everyone else. (I'd much rather stand in section C than sit anywhere.)[/q]I think the words I bolded are the key to why this wouldn't actually work.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 12:09PM

[q]I'd have to yield to anyone with better remembrance, but I think they were dividing the students up on purpose. Partially in response to the language, cheer issues. [/q]That's what I "remember" too, but I hesitated to mention it because C was a booster section when I first started going to games.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 17, 2005 02:53PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:
I think most of the Section C denizens on this board would be happy to see the section returned to the students if we were given the option of being grandfathered into our "seats" and expected to stand like everyone else. (I'd much rather stand in section C than sit anywhere.)[/Q]
I think the words I bolded are the key to why this wouldn't actually work.[/q]

Most of Section C (those who wouldn't want to stand) could be moved over to the other side of the ice into seats with magic fingers.

Posted by: Rob NH (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 07:28PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:
as much fun as a student section behind the opposing bench would be ... it's just not gonna happen.

just some thoughts[/q]
The student section at New Hampshire's old Snivley Arena was behind the opposing bench, it used to make life hell for the other team. If it got loud enough in there (as it often did) the players wouldn't be able to hear the coach yelling line changes, etc. and it would mess their whole game plan up. I remember hearing a story about the late Shawn Walsh calling a timeout following a UNH goal and not being able to communicate with his players circled right around him because of all the noise. Imagine how bad Nickerson would have had it if you guys were right behind him the entire game, it brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.

Date: February 17, 2005 07:45PM

Problem is...the home bench is also on that side.

And with the student section near the penalty boxes, they were able to taunt Nickerson enough. ;-)

Note: the winky face is to counteract the rolleyes no doubt coming my way from RichS.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2005 07:51PM by RichH.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2005 03:52PM

[q]Bill Gates does not endanger America's highway safety buying a Porsche 959 that doesn't have 5 mph bumpers.[/q]
Nor his own, since you can't register or drive a 959 in this country.

(yeah, so I finally sucked it up and started reading this topic)

Date: February 19, 2005 11:40AM

Well, the lastest renovation proposal that I've heard is to expand on the south side of the rink for new locker rooms, etc.. They would also redo the benches moving ours to the south side with the penalty box and keeping the opposition across the rink. They could add some seats, or stands if they are for students, at the top of those sections. No wrap arround on the west side.

Personally I hate the rinks with the opposite benches. I always think they are a bunch of losers trying to give themselves an edge that they can't get with their players or coaches. However, the 'gate rink is nice, since they give their opposition the advantage.:-)

Date: February 19, 2005 11:46AM

the south side will happen soon, the outside wall is being moved so that it ends up even with the b-ball side.. havent heard about benches being moved..

Date: February 19, 2005 12:05PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:
Personally I hate the rinks with the opposite benches. I always think they are a bunch of losers trying to give themselves an edge that they can't get with their players or coaches.[/q]
well then we could just call coach ... jack parker:-P

Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 02:35PM

Students had section C up until around 1987 or so. Blame Laing Kennedy and possibly coach McCutcheon for the changeup. At the time the ywere intentionally splitting up the student section for either behavior/language/drinking and the like. You could go back and read old Sun articles with McCutcheon bitching about the language in the stnads and that he wouldn't bring his kids...eerily similar to Shafer's current stand. (Not to go off-topic but having talked to him at the time when he was an assistant coach here he thought the crowd was quite funny. See what getting old does to your sense of humor?) At the time noone had started standing yet so it wasn't an issue - that tradition was yet to come.

They also moved the band over to G at the same time in an attempt to "unify" the rink. (I think we even changed ends of the ice for a year or two at thetime?) The band was moved back to A when McCutcheon 1 was hired as the coach. Evidently he knew from his days as a player that the band in section A often rendered between period conversation in the visiting locker room anywhere from dificult to impossible with al the noise right next to it.

So basically, 1) the students were a bunch of drunks (what's new) who were not that much different from the ones now in terms of "offensive language" and 2) I have always thought Laing Kennedy was an a**. Add in a little chance to make the boosters happy and there you have the section C takeover.

Anyone who was around at the time feel free to correct any possible fuzzy memory problems in my post....

--Arik

p.s. Winning team, losing team worked alot better when conducted from the front and center of the student section in C

Date: February 19, 2005 02:39PM

[OT] A tangental thread and we've passed 2,000 hits in six days. What a hockey mad place this is.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 03:11PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

Well, the lastest renovation proposal that I've heard is to expand on the south side of the rink for new locker rooms, etc.. They would also redo the benches moving ours to the south side with the penalty box and keeping the opposition across the rink. They could add some seats, or stands if they are for students, at the top of those sections. No wrap arround on the west side.[/q]

New locker rooms, yes. Move Cornell's bench to the student side?

Why the hold up on adding seats to the west end?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 03:33PM

[Q]abmarks Wrote:
(I think we even changed ends of the ice for a year or two at thetime?)

Anyone who was around at the time feel free to correct any possible fuzzy memory problems in my post....
[/q]

OK, I'll (try to) correct this part.

Through at least the '85-'86 season Cornell shot towards the east end of the rink in the first and third periods, making Section D the premier student section. I believe it was McCutcheon who changed that, for, I believe, two reasons. If my memory serves, the stated reason was that he wanted the players to be able to be facing the scoreboard twice as much. The other reason was because of the potential for bad bounces off the boards at the west end of the rink, where all the doors are.

To the best of my knowledge, once the change was made, that was it. We've been shooting towards the West end of the rink in periods 1 and 3 ever since.
Andy W.

Date: February 19, 2005 04:04PM

I dont think the west end seats can get added anymore.. the dynamics of the new life sciences building doesnt allow for building out the west end side anymore.. it may also removed the teagle/lynah parking lot since they have to allow for semi's to park in that area somehow. they are still arguing though so things may still change..

Date: February 19, 2005 04:08PM

Hmm. Unless an academic building actually cuts into where the dressing rooms and refrigeration equipment are right now (or is that *all* moving to the south side?), there'd be room for expansion overtop that area. Just no money for it now and no active plans.

It would be terrible if Cornell built so close to Lynah that it precluded ever expanding to the West if only expanding to the extent of the current Lynah west end footprint.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 04:15PM

If, in theory, you wanted to un-split the student section, and also wanted to keep the people with tickets in C and M happy, and also didn't want to do any significant renovation, couldn't you put the students in E-F-G-H-J-K and have Cornell shoot at that end twice a game?

Date: February 19, 2005 04:19PM

Are you saying semis would need the parking lot during construction or that the parking lot would become a road? Isn't the space between the existing Biotech Bldg & Lynah (on the NW) rather narrow?

Date: February 19, 2005 05:12PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

If, in theory, you wanted to un-split the student section, and also wanted to keep the people with tickets in C and M happy, and also didn't want to do any significant renovation, couldn't you put the students in E-F-G-H-J-K and have Cornell shoot at that end twice a game?[/q]

There are other reasons to shoot at the west end and defend the east.

Date: February 19, 2005 05:30PM

>>> There are other reasons to shoot at the west end and defend the east.

Coriolis Effect shooting westward in the northern hemisphere? In-house jetstream?

Date: February 19, 2005 05:51PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Coriolis Effect shooting westward in the northern hemisphere? In-house jetstream?

[/q]

Clock.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 06:24PM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

[/Q]
Clock.[/q]

Feng Shui.

Date: February 19, 2005 07:26PM

Until spectators fill the west end, the goalie has a less cluttered view of the incoming puck.
View of the clock.

Date: February 19, 2005 09:29PM

current plans show a 3-4 bay loading dock between biotech and lynah. to fit that into that corner it needs to replace that existing outdoor stairway from the parking lot to the athletic fields.. there wont be much room left in the parking lot..

Date: February 19, 2005 10:00PM

[Q]upperdeck Wrote:

current plans show a 3-4 bay loading dock between biotech and lynah. to fit that into that corner it needs to replace that existing outdoor stairway from the parking lot to the athletic fields.. there wont be much room left in the parking lot.. [/q]

Thanks. Sweat and diesel, what a nice combination that could make.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 10:35PM

[Q]David Harding Wrote:

Until spectators fill the west end, the goalie has a less cluttered view of the incoming puck.
View of the clock.[/q]
That's what's always been said, but there have been many years (including this one) in which Cornell seems to score most of their goals in the 2nd period, when the opposing goalie supposedly has it better. Methinks it's bunk.

Date: February 20, 2005 12:08AM

And last night didn't the radio announcers go on about what a great 2nd period save percentage Mckee had this year. Something like 96% or so? When its supposed to be when its hardest for him.

Date: February 20, 2005 08:25AM

Is it hockey players ... baseball players ... golfers who are most superstitious? Probably darn near a tie.

In teen hockey, a lot of parents wish players wouldn't have the superstition about not sending equipment to the cleaners until the championship is won. That bottle of Febreeze gets a secret workout when the kids aren't looking.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 02:49PM

[Q]David Harding Wrote:

View of the clock.[/q]

Also the Zamboni door bounce, although that seems to have been reduced in the last renovation.

Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 11:07PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

David Harding Wrote:

View of the clock.[/Q]
Also the Zamboni door bounce, although that seems to have been reduced in the last renovation.[/q]

Per Shafer circa the late '80's.....clock and zamboni door bounce....

Personally, I'd be surprised if they fixed that door ever on purpose.

Date: February 22, 2005 09:18AM

[Q]abmarks Wrote: Per Shafer circa the late '80's.....clock and zamboni door bounce....

Personally, I'd be surprised if they fixed that door ever on purpose.[/q]I think they did fix it with the last renovation.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: February 22, 2005 09:32AM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

abmarks Wrote:
(I think we even changed ends of the ice for a year or two at thetime?)

[/Q]
OK, I'll (try to) correct this part.

Through at least the '85-'86 season Cornell shot towards the east end of the rink in the first and third periods, making Section D the premier student section. I believe it was McCutcheon who changed that, for, I believe, two reasons. If my memory serves, the stated reason was that he wanted the players to be able to be facing the scoreboard twice as much. The other reason was because of the potential for bad bounces off the boards at the west end of the rink, where all the doors are.

To the best of my knowledge, once the change was made, that was it. We've been shooting towards the West end of the rink in periods 1 and 3 ever since.
Andy W.
[/q]

Andy is right. In addition, I think that was the way it was set up when McCutcheon played (also the reason for the change of uniforms when he took over).

As for the Section C question, it was an Athletics decision, not a Hockey program decision, to address the "inappropriate" rowdiness of the crowd and to cater to the boosters. And back then, we stood until the first Cornell goal was scored.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login