Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2/5 cornell v 'gate postgame

Posted by jy3 
2/5 cornell v 'gate postgame
Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 09:43PM

figured i would start this. Unfortunately i couldnt be there. sounds like a great game. in the long run this may or may not matter for cornell but could mean a lot for 'gate. here is to a 3 point weekend vs a very tough red raider team

Re: 2/5 cornell v 'gate postgame
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.patmedia.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 09:47PM

Very important, the tie didn't seem to hurt us any if at all. Our RPI actually went up, and we're tied with Minn for 4th, who is currently losing after 2. Also important, it definitely helped Colgate. Jumping from 15th to 11-tie (12th)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 09:50PM

Yale, with help from the referee ( of course rolleyes ), scored the last four to beat SLU 5-2 in Canton.

Date: February 05, 2005 09:54PM

UML pulls it off in OT. 12-1-3 in their last 16. Those guys are nuts lately. They could be incredibly dangerous come the post season.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 09:57PM

MSU tied with Michigan 1-1 at the Joe late in the 3rd. Looks like OT there.

Date: February 05, 2005 10:08PM

M-MSU tied final; Badgers-Gophers 3-3 in 3rd

Date: February 05, 2005 10:09PM

NMU loses to UAF. That could get Dartmouth near the bubble.

and MSU tied Mich. Good for us, iffy for Dartmouth, so they're even tonight ;-)

In other news, CC trailing 2-1 to Mankato
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2005 10:11PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 10:09PM

Dell swallowed his whistle for the entire third period. There was all kinds of obstruction and interference nevermind hooking and tripping the whole period by both teams, but he didn't call anything. I thought it was a pretty well played game by both teams.

On another note, down at the end of the ice in section H I saw a whole row of people wearing white jerseys that looked like canadian national team jerseys, was that the canadian under 18 team watching our game?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2005 10:13PM by Jacob '06.

Date: February 05, 2005 10:11PM

BTW, CC losing to 'Kato in the 3rd.

And Michigan tech is leading tUMD. That should drop tUMD from being TUC.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 10:16PM

Incredible game tonight. Both teams slowed down in the 3rd (obviously tired after a hard fought weekend), but gathered a little momentum in overtime. The two teams again were evenly matched in most aspects, especially goaltending, which was solid at both ends. All in all, an amazing weekend. And now, my throat is raw from mocking Silverthorn for two nights straight. :-D

Date: February 05, 2005 10:20PM

Minnesota won :(
But UMD lost
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2005 10:21PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: February 05, 2005 10:21PM

Minnesota 5, Wisconsin 3 - Damn!

Date: February 05, 2005 10:22PM

SLU close to slipping away as a TUC (.5027RPI).

Date: February 05, 2005 10:34PM

just curious....we're listed 4t with BC right now, but the comparison is 2-2 and we lost the head to head, so why are we listed above them in the tie?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 10:36PM

I've been home from the game for a little while. Just finished reading through posts here, and haven't seen this mentioned.

Apparently Pokulok broke his elbow early in the first period. We saw him go off the ice at the first stoppage after he was injured. Between the first and second periods, the woman who sits next to me heard from Dave McKee's father that Pokulok had broken his elbow. I'd love it if this info turns out to be incorrect, but if it is correct this may prove to be a very costly tie.
Andy W.

Date: February 05, 2005 10:37PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

just curious....we're listed 4t with BC right now, but the comparison is 2-2 and we lost the head to head, so why are we listed above them in the tie?[/q]
RPI is the tiebreaker

Date: February 05, 2005 10:38PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Jacob '06 Wrote:

just curious....we're listed 4t with BC right now, but the comparison is 2-2 and we lost the head to head, so why are we listed above them in the tie?[/Q]
RPI is the tiebreaker[/q]

Thanks

Posted by: dfgdf (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 10:38PM

A win would have put us in second in the pairwise.

Posted by: RedAR (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 10:53PM

really seems to me as if out OT-SHG against union was that little extra that this team needed.

these games against colgate this weekend were exactly the kind of games where, prior to union, we ended up on the losing end of a 0-1 or 1-2 game.

Date: February 05, 2005 10:56PM

Well, with everything in except two CHA games that are unlikely to have much effect and a game in Alaska. we pass BC to land in 4th at the end of the night. Wow.

Of course, next weekend will hurt :(

On another topic, what's the chance Harvard actually does some damage in the Beanpot this week? They have a definite chance to beat NU (in fact they downright "should";)... and they even have a shot at BC or BU.

Date: February 05, 2005 10:58PM

[Q]RedAR Wrote:

really seems to me as if out OT-SHG against union was that little extra that this team needed.

these games against colgate this weekend were exactly the kind of games where, prior to union, we ended up on the losing end of a 0-1 or 1-2 game.[/q]
That and McKee's significantly raised level of play since late 04

Date: February 05, 2005 10:59PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

I've been home from the game for a little while. Just finished reading through posts here, and haven't seen this mentioned.

Apparently Pokulok broke his elbow early in the first period. We saw him go off the ice at the first stoppage after he was injured. Between the first and second periods, the woman who sits next to me heard from Dave McKee's father that Pokulok had broken his elbow. I'd love it if this info turns out to be incorrect, but if it is correct this may prove to be a very costly tie.
Andy W.[/q]
I don't recall any mention of this during the webcast, but perhaps just missed it. Costly would be right. Not what we needed for the stretch and post-season run.

Date: February 05, 2005 11:19PM

Back to fifth in PWR, probably as a result of some obscure game in Latvia.

Date: February 05, 2005 11:24PM

CC's loss gives BC that comparison. Pushing us back down to 5th. But, we're currently lined up for the Worcester bracket wit BC the #1 seed. And we'd play Wisconsin in the first round ;)

Posted by: RedAR (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 11:30PM

Colgate is now 10th pairwise after tying us. IF they can stay around there, then this tie tonight may have been the happy compromise between what we want for Cornell and what we want for the ECAC.

Another happy tidbit... North Dakota is 14th, so they'd be out if the season were to end today. Yay!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2005 11:42PM by RedAR.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 12:05AM

No. I sat behind Gleed and his girlfriend and apparently they were a small fry team from Canada, maybe Venice City (something like that). Props go out to Gleed, he was talking to all the small children that approached him in section K, very cool! It was mentioned that he could start practicing Monday if cleared!!!!!! That would be huge with the horrific news about Pokulok. Wasn't that his dad (Keith) that one the 50/50 drawing.

Posted by: Pace (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 01:25AM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

No. I sat behind Gleed and his girlfriend and apparently they were a small fry team from Canada, maybe Venice City (something like that). Props go out to Gleed, he was talking to all the small children that approached him in section K, very cool! It was mentioned that he could start practicing Monday if cleared!!!!!! That would be huge with the horrific news about Pokulok. Wasn't that his dad (Keith) that one the 50/50 drawing.[/q]

Re: Canadian Team - So why were they wearing Canadian National jerseys? Or were those not Canadian Nationa Team jerseys?

Re: Gleed - I didn't realise he was injured. I thought he was just benched for now. What was wrong with him?

Re: Pokulok - I hope he'll be okay. And the guy who won the raffle was Pete Pokulok. I think I saw one of the Canadian players identify himself as the winner.

Date: February 06, 2005 02:19AM

[Q]Pace Wrote:

Re: Canadian Team - So why were they wearing Canadian National jerseys? Or were those not Canadian Nationa Team jerseys?

[/q]

I was looking across the rink from A and thats what I made of them, it could've been something else.

Posted by: Pace (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 02:37AM

In fact, I'm more and more inclined to believe that it was the Canadian U18 team.

Check out [www.canadianhockey.ca] . Those look like the exact same jerseys in the photo of the team on the ice.

Also, I recall seeing No. 11's name over from D. To me it looked like something with about 8 letters starting with "Cog" or "Cag". Check out [www.canadianhockey.ca]

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 03:48AM

if it was the canadian u-18 team, that could be great recruiting for us

Date: February 06, 2005 04:18AM

Have we received any players from the Canadian U18 team in the last decade or so? I don't seem to recall seeing anyone from there in the last five or six years, though I could be wrong.

Posted by: profudge (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 08:59AM

They were a Midget team from just North of Toronto - They liked the game and really enjoyed the experience of Lynah - talked to a couple of the kids walking out of rink -

Sasha went off ice to locker romm in first period holding arm and in some amount of pain. We played with 5 d'men rest of way - Jeremy, Charlie, Ryan, Dan, Doug did a good job over all hoping Jon is back soon. Downs and Cook were outstanding! and this was evident towards the end -

I thought one of the Colgate goals was scored when our defender was held and obstructed behind the net allowing a gate player to walk out with the puck - but was at far end of rink from me (I am in Section N) and hard to see for sure - any comment?

Did any one else see the neck hook put on Scott just as he screamed across the blue line on the attack late in the game (pulled him down right off his skates)? no call even though right in front of Assist. Ref. - Dell on far boards could not see it worth beans?

Game was hard fought by both teams! and would love a re-match in playoffs. 'Gate has real skating speed and toughness, best team I have seen us play this year by far!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2005 11:34AM by profudge.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:05AM

Trust me it was not the U-18 team. All the players had italian last names and I would believe Gleed that they were not the U-18 team. He seemed to have first hand knowledge of who they were. I'm not really sure what the injury was to Gleed, I never really asked him but he seems very straight forward with people, I'm sure he would tell you if you see him around campus.

Medical Privacy
Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 11:08AM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

Andy W.[/q]

And I heard from my sister's cousin's ex-boyfriend's roommate's mom that Ferris needs a liver transplant.....

His elbow isn't broken, but that's all I'm saying since Sasha has a right to privacy with regard to his medical status.

In the future, please try to be more respectful of this.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 11:28AM

But would a U-18 national team really wear their jerseys to a college game? I find that hard to believe. Seems much more like a youth-league thing to do.

Re: Medical Privacy
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 12:27PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

And I heard from my sister's cousin's ex-boyfriend's roommate's mom that Ferris needs a liver transplant.....

His elbow isn't broken, but that's all I'm saying since Sasha has a right to privacy with regard to his medical status.

In the future, please try to be more respectful of this.[/q]

So you're down to 46 mpg? :-P

Coach will comment when it's time to do so

Date: February 06, 2005 12:55PM

I do not think I was infringing on Pokulok's "medical privacy" by simply restating here what about 30 people in Section C heard when this woman returned for the start of the second period. I stated my source, and hers, for anyone inclined to question the validity of the information, and so that it would not be taken as the gospel truth. Pokulok was injured in a very public way. He is a public figure. I was just trying to share the information I had about that injury with other interested parties. I'm sure "The Ithaca Journal" will have a story about it in Monday's paper. So the bottom line is I don't feel I did anything wrong in reporting what I heard.

Now if I had been talking about the syphillis that Silverthorn caught from coach Vaughn, that might be wrong...
Andy W.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 01:16PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

I'm sure "The Ithaca Journal" will have a story about it in Monday's paper. [/q]

I bet they won't.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: February 06, 2005 01:16PM

Do we really have to go through this each time? rolleyes

1. HIPAA -- it's not our right to know
2. Major injuries, e.g. broken bones, major knee issues, etc. -- gossiping about a potentially season-ending injury isn't going to sabotage the team. If it's true the point is moot. If it's not, see the next point.
3. Minor injuries, e.g. muscle tears, sprains, etc. -- keep your mouth shut. Don't pass along information that other teams can use.

Give Andy a break.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 01:19PM

They may look like the Canadian U-18 jerseys, but I saw them as they got off of their bus and piled into the rink. They were wearing their youth team jerseys. I vaguely remember them saying Toronto something or other, and one of the parents said something about being from Toronto. Also, unless I'm older than I thought, those kids were a little young to be on the Canadian U-18, since U-18 is typically made up of 17 and 18 year olds with the occasionaly 16 year old.

Date: February 06, 2005 01:36PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:
He is a public figure.
[/q]

This is the only real problem I have. He's not a public figure, he's a student-athlete. That's way below professional athlete, which still isn't a public figure.

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:
I'm sure "The Ithaca Journal" will have a story about it in Monday's paper. [/q]

Avash took care of this one and if you look at the recap Avash wrote for USCHO, which is written after he speaks with the players and coaches, there is not one mention of Pokulok. That says a lot to me.

I agree that Andy got jumped on a little bit (I love speculation to pass the time), and I'm sorry if I was one of those (I hope I wasn't!), but it's important for others to know that it has to be taken with a grain of salt. It's not always clear that specific information like that, passed on by rumor, is not fact--it should be clear, but it isn't.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 02:00PM

[Q]KenP Wrote:

Do we really have to go through this each time?

2. Major injuries, e.g. broken bones, major knee issues, etc. -- gossiping about a potentially season-ending injury isn't going to sabotage the team. If it's true the point is moot. If it's not, see the next point.
3. Minor injuries, e.g. muscle tears, sprains, etc. -- keep your mouth shut. Don't pass along information that other teams can use.

Give Andy a break.
[/q]Why do we have to go through this each time?

1) It isn't about a right to know, it is about a desire to know. Cornell hockey is what we talk about here. Injuries to Cornell players is something that people here want to know about. Rumors are part of that. If there is a discussion going on in Ithaca about whether a player is or isn't injured, I'd like to hear it. I don't want the doctors revealing the information, but if a player/equipment manager/groupie has information, HIPPA is besides the point.

2) Major injuries will be made public in one way or another. Gossip doesn't affect it, but I don't feel any particular obligation to not listen to the rumors.

3) I am sure that each school has a crack team of investigators trolling the fansites of the opposition, searching for information on injuries... This is what we do. A lot of you choose to be offended; I am not. I am the market for information like this. I don't spread it because I have no insider knowledge but I don't mind when someone else - who may - does so.

Adam - the players on the team are student-athletes AND public figures. Think about how much time we spend talking about them. The attention and borderline reverence is part of why the players come to Cornell. I think that they have a right to expect that we will not look up their files at Gannett. They don't have any expectation that when they skate off the ice clutching their arm - and don't return - that we will refrain from talking about it.

Date: February 06, 2005 02:07PM

I did not realize what a can of worms I was opening. And I do appreciate the couple of people who have suggested that perhaps I was jumped on a bit harshly. But now I also have to disagree with one of them.

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

andyw2100 Wrote:
He is a public figure.
[/Q]
This is the only real problem I have. He's not a public figure, he's a student-athlete. That's way below professional athlete, which still isn't a public figure.[/Q2]

Adam stated that he did not agree with my statement that Pokulok was a public figure. I found this definition on the web: (admittedly, after posting)

"public figure

noun {C}

someone who is famous because of what they do, and is written about in newspapers and magazines or is often on television or the radio"

Here is the URL, for anyone inclined to think I may have made up the above:
[www.freesearch.co.uk]

Obviously using this definition Pokulok --is-- a public figure.

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

andyw2100 Wrote:
I'm sure "The Ithaca Journal" will have a story about it in Monday's paper. [/Q]
Avash took care of this one and if you look at the recap Avash wrote for USCHO, which is written after he speaks with the players and coaches, there is not one mention of Pokulok. That says a lot to me. [/B][/q][/Q2]

I don't understand this. It sounds like Avash is a journalist of sorts. If he wrote a recap of a game, in which one of the starting players leaves the ice with an injury in the first few minutes of the game and does not return, without any reference to this whatsoever in his piece, then I think he may need to take Journalism 101 again.
Andy W.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2005 02:16PM by andyw2100.

Date: February 06, 2005 02:29PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

I did not realize what a can of worms I was opening. And I do appreciate the couple of people who have suggested that perhaps I was jumped on a bit harshly. But now I also have to disagree with one of them.

Adam stated that he did not agree with my statement that Pokulok was a public figure. I found this definition on the web: (admittedly, after posting)

"public figure

noun {C}

someone who is famous because of what they do, and is written about in newspapers and magazines or is often on television or the radio"

Here is the URL, for anyone inclined to think I may have made up the above:

Obviously using this definition Pokulok --is-- a public figure. [/q]

Fair enough...as I back track but still try to maintain a weak stance... ;-) I just don't know enough about this topic..."save me, jebus!"

There must be different degrees of "public figure" then. Take the President for example. You can use his picture at will--that was what was confusing me, I thought of the President as the ultimate public figure. A professional athlete is a public figure but you can't use his likeness at will. A student athlete playing for the University of Miami football team is under much more scrutiny than one at Cornell.

Is Pokulok a public figure on the Cornell campus or only when he hops into his skates? There's no need to continue this because by that definition he is a public figure, but he's an 18 year old kid (the kicker for me) that doesn't walk around campus in jersey and helmet so he's able to go to school in moderate anonymity.

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:
I don't understand this. It sounds like Avash is a journalist of sorts. If he wrote a recap of a game, in which one of the starting players leaves the ice with an injury in the first few minutes of the game and does not return, without any reference to this whatsoever in his piece, then I think he may need to take Journalism 101 again.
Andy W.[/q]

Avash can respond to this one (maybe Bill?)...My guess (speculation kills time) is that journalists maintain a relationship with their sources and if they don't want you to write about something (this is sports not war and peace) then you don't.

Date: February 06, 2005 02:30PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

KenP Wrote:

Do we really have to go through this each time?

Give Andy a break.
[/Q]
Why do we have to go through this each time?

1) It isn't about a right to know, it is about a desire to know. Cornell hockey is what we talk about here. Injuries to Cornell players is something that people here want to know about. Rumors are part of that. If there is a discussion going on in Ithaca about whether a player is or isn't injured, I'd like to hear it. I don't want the doctors revealing the information, but if a player/equipment manager/groupie has information, HIPPA is besides the point.

2) Major injuries will be made public in one way or another. Gossip doesn't affect it, but I don't feel any particular obligation to not listen to the rumors.

3) I am sure that each school has a crack team of investigators trolling the fansites of the opposition, searching for information on injuries... This is what we do. A lot of you choose to be offended; I am not. I am the market for information like this. I don't spread it because I have no insider knowledge but I don't mind when someone else - who may - does so.

Adam - the players on the team are student-athletes AND public figures. Think about how much time we spend talking about them. The attention and borderline reverence is part of why the players come to Cornell. I think that they have a right to expect that we will not look up their files at Gannett. They don't have any expectation that when they skate off the ice clutching their arm - and don't return - that we will refrain from talking about it.[/q]

Very good explanation, bra, especially the part about HIPPA and gossip. Thanks!

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 03:40PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:
1) It isn't about a right to know, it is about a desire to know. <snip> If there is a discussion going on in Ithaca about whether a player is or isn't injured, I'd like to hear it. I don't want the doctors revealing the information, but if a player/equipment manager/groupie has information, HIPPA is besides the point.
[/q]

Spoken just like a lawyer...

HIPAA may not have been designed with athletics in mind, but it doesn't change the fact that a patient is entitled to privacy and confidentiality with regard to their medical condition. Moreover, I'd argue that the equipment manager is analogous to a receptionist in a medical office; they may not be involved in directly treating the patient, but they will become privy to PHI in the course of their duties.

With regard to other players and various hangers on, no, they are in no way covered by HIPAA. Doesn't change the fact they should keep their damn mouths shut. Ethically, our 'right' to know does not trump Sasha's right to privacy just because it came from a different source.

And for what its worth, the public figure argument doesn't hold water either. I can't find a source online but multiple investigations are underway for violation of Pres. Clinton's privacy rights following his heart surgery. If a former president isn't a public figure, I don't know who would be.

[q]
They don't have any expectation that when they skate off the ice clutching their arm - and don't return - that we will refrain from talking about it.[/q]

A player doesn't have the expectation that we won't discuss the fact that he left the ice holding his arm, but he does have the expectation that the explicit nature of the injury will remain private unless *he* chooses to disclose it.

Frankly, I like the [url="[url]http://www.suathletics.com/news/Football/2003/5/2/hipaa.asp"[/url];]policy that Syracuse put into place[/url]. It seems to be a reasonable compromise.

Anywho, I have to go check the hot tub and clean the kitchen before the superbowl, but here's more fuel for the fire:

[url]http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2002/1024/1450628.html[/url]

[url]http://www.splc.org/report_detail.asp?id=937&edition=23[/url]

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: February 06, 2005 03:56PM

Just for curiosity's sake and not that the polls matter...not many near the top went unblemished last weekend.

Team                               Last Week
 1 Boston College                    T   (Providence)
 2 Colorado College                  W,T (Minnesota-State)
 3 Wisconsin                         W,L (8 Minnesota)
 4 Denver                            W,W (13 North Dakota)
 5 Michigan                          T,T (Michigan State)
 6 Cornell                           W,T (11 Colgate)
 7 New Hampshire                     L,W (15 Maine)
 8 Minnesota                         L,W (3 Wisconsin)
 9 Ohio State                        W,W (Lake Superior)
10 Harvard                           W,W (Union, Dartmouth)
11 Colgate                           L,T (6 Cornell)
12 Mass.-Lowell                      T,W (14 BU, Providence)
13 North Dakota                      L,L (4 Denver)
14 Boston University                 T   (12 Mass.-Lowell)
15 Maine                             W,L (7 UHN)

Others Receiving Votes: Northern Michigan 31 (W,L),
Vermont 22 (L), Dartmouth 3 (W,L), Nebraska-Omaha 2 (T,W)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2005 03:58PM by Chris 02.

Date: February 06, 2005 04:28PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:

andyw2100 Wrote:
I'm sure "The Ithaca Journal" will have a story about it in Monday's paper. [/Q]
Avash took care of this one and if you look at the recap Avash wrote for USCHO, which is written after he speaks with the players and coaches, there is not one mention of Pokulok. That says a lot to me. [/Q]

Andy W.[/q]

Thanks for the suggestion, but I know what I'm doing. Fortunately, in my response to you, I'm not going to resort to cheap shots.

Sure, in retrospect, I could have mentioned that Cornell was forced to play with 5 defensemen for most of the game, but to be honest, as I was writing the recap so it could be up on USCHO around midnight, I thought there were more relevant quotes and points to include - describing the goals, the timely saves, and the intense game in context of this grueling and important weekend, for instance. I even included a pun in the headline, for God's sake. Surely that has to count for something...

After the game, if you really must know, Schafer commented VERY briefly on Pokulok but was reluctant to provide any injury details and instead focused on how other guys in the lineup need to step up now in Sasha's absence. Since this is a direct quote from Schafer, I'll include it here: the preliminary report on Pokulok was that he will be out "for 6 weeks at least."

Posted by: The Rancor (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 04:41PM

fantastic game. gotta give a lot of credit to silverthorn, he kept colgate in that game. best overtime without a win i've seen in a very long time.
my new theory about the team is this: we will win against teams with strong offense, because our d is so freeking good. teams that focus more on defense, will be harder for us. meh.

Date: February 06, 2005 04:42PM

"Fans, reporters and announcers who see a player carried off the field will be left only to speculate on the extent of the injuries"

So the question then becomes how much speculation can you take and still enjoy, right? :-P And what is speculation and what is personal information that is being unfairly released through rumor (overhearing conversations that are meant to be in private)? Eh, screw it, I'm ready to move on and watch some football! :-)

Date: February 06, 2005 04:43PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:
Spoken just like a lawyer... [/q]
1) I'll have you know that I argued like this well before law school.
2) I also used numbered lists.

[q]HIPAA may not have been designed with athletics in mind, but it doesn't change the fact that a patient is entitled to privacy and confidentiality with regard to their medical condition.[/q]What they are entitled to legally is clear. Ethically is something of an open question isn't it? You see it as more of an ethical question than I do. The players are engaged in a public activity - for which they (or the school or whatever) actively seek attention - in which the day-to-day (or game-to-game) health of the players is a real factor. People are going to talk about it. The team has the right to keep information private; the medical staff has an obligation to do so (I disagree about the equipment manager, by the way; (s)he is an adjunct to the Athletics staff, not the medical staff). That doesn't make it an actual ethical issue, even if you want to get sanctimonious about it. I don't care if Bill Gates has the sniffles, but I sure do care if TO is still limping from the practice field to his car.

[q]With regard to other players and various hangers on, no, they are in no way covered by HIPAA. Doesn't change the fact they should keep their damn mouths shut.[/q] That isn't much of a point. I agree with that. So what? That they probably should keep their mouths shut as a matter of professionalism and courtesy doesn't impose an obligation on the rest of the world to actively ignore information from such quarters. It also doesn't mean we should pretend the information (or some version) isn't out there when it is. As andyw said, a rink full of people saw Pokulok leave and not come back. I, for one, don't feel that I have to just wait until the official word comes down for any hint at all. It isn't a question of our "rights" or "obligations" as fans. We don't have a "right" to know, but we also don't have an "obligation" to refrain from speculation.

Date: February 06, 2005 04:44PM

Avash, you're now a public figure! Bask in all of its glory!!! ;-)

Date: February 06, 2005 04:55PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

Avash, you're now a public figure! Bask in all of its glory!!![/q]

Thanks Adam....but does that mean I have to disclose to everyone that I have an injured right shoulder? I think I slept on it wrong. Don't worry though; I should return (to writing game recaps) in about 2 weeks.

Date: February 06, 2005 05:05PM

I did not really mean to question your ability as a journalist, Avash. I was merely trying to make the point that a starting player leaving the game due to injury, and then not returning, was certainly newsworthy. I think you would agree that if coach Schafer had said nothing at all about Pokulok, and if you and other journalists present did not ask anything about Pokulok, that you guys would have been dropping the ball, so to speak. The fact of the matter is that Schafer --did-- talk, albeit briefly, about the Pokulok situation, and for whatever reason (deadline, length of article, etc.), you chose not to include the information.

Another relevant point is that you were brought into this discussion when Adam said that your not mentioning Pokulok in your USCHO article "said a lot" to him. I inferred, rightly or wrongly from that, that Adam felt that the injury could not have been too serious, or you would have written about it. In retrospect, I think we can also all agree that an injury that keeps someone out of action for "at least six weeks" is, in fact, a serious injury.
Andy W.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 10:29PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:
(I disagree about the equipment manager, by the way; (s)he is an adjunct to the Athletics staff, not the medical staff). [/Q]It doesn't matter. Everyone with access to medical information has to agree to a privacy policy. In a med/dental surrounding that even means the cleaning people. It certainly means billing people, and people you hire from the outside to do non-medical tasks. I'd bet that everyone involved with athletics gets some HIPPA training.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 11:51PM

A couple thoughts on Sasha Pokoluk's injury Saturday against Colgate, the fans' curiousity, his privacy, etcetera.

- He was injured in a very public place in a very public event. There is curiousity about what happened to him. Some curiousity, some concern, some morbid interest, some competitive interest.

- The HIPAA privacy stuff that's being waved around, that's a serious matter for the health care providers that they not inadvertantly disclose information they're not supposed to. But there's a difference between a hospital letting slip out the information that so-and-so is ailing and, once that information if out, others making note of it.

- HIPAA is making a lot of hospitals think about getting rid of paper charts hanging at the nurses' stations and implementing all-electronic records and walk-around tablets containing patient charts. That's going to be real secure, until it gets hacked. And anyway the records once electronic probably wind up in the hands of your insurance company and your life insurance carrier and the company running experimental trials on the drugs used on you and maybe by the state insurance department doing an anti-fraud audit. You really think that's secure? You want about six agencies to know you took a drug for an inflammation that's also a drug used by AIDS patients? Now go see what the age 30 quote on $500K of life insurance is once your carrier has that information in hand.

- Pokoluk is a public figure in my mind and in most peoples' minds but not everyone's minds. There is some case law bouncing back and forth that says people who wind up in a public arena inadvertantly may or may not be public not private figures. This is important in a bunch of areas but I think not here. (Others may say otherwise.) It reflects on things like, "So-and-so who was an innocent bystander got hit by a riccocheting bullet in a drug shootout [innocent bystander, right, in that bar and 1 in the morning] and it turns out he's just filed for personal bankruptcy and his wife tossed him out of the house but really he left the house after a spat with his wife and you mention that in a newspaper and some of it's wrong, there's a different standard for libel if the guy's a public vs. private figure. Some people who've tried to defraud the government (allegedly defraud) claim that the fact they have a contract with the govt doesn't make them public figures and so they sue the Globe or Inquirer (which reported it) and seek to be declared non-public figures so it's easier to prevail. As a practical matter, if Avash here or someone at USCHO finds exactly what happened and reports it, Sasha is not going to retain counsel.

- Pro sports especially, injury information has to - is supposed to be, at least - be disclosed fully so that gamblers who have inside information don't have inside information.

- As a practical matter also, college hockey is an insular and gossipy world and the extent of his injury is likely to get out. A Cornell player mentions it to his mom back in Ontario and she mentions it at the rink where the younger son players Junior hockey and oh by the way Sasha had played at this rink two years before and he seemed like a sweet boy and it's too bad he has a [I'm making this up] broken left clavicle and he'll be out six weeks everyone is saying. Some other kid's dad at the rink is part of this discussion and he has a nephew who plays at RPI and pretty soon it's not a secet anymore.

- The coach and the team have a vested interest in masking the injury and its severeity because for a short time (like till the next weekend) it might have the opponent practicing a plan that includes neutralizaing a tall, great stickhandling defenseman. Longer term, when the injured player comes back, if the opponents know that the player is nursing a sore left arm, well, they're going to be sure to check him on the left side a few extra times just to see.

- Some injuries you can hide better than others. A pulled stomach muscle is easier to mask than a broken bone on a specific part and side of your body.

- Because this is a pro-Cornell site we may prefer not to talk up the extent of a Cornell player's injuries. Or that so-and-so has left the team. Eventually it's going to get out, I believe. The minute more than one person knows a secret, the secret is compromised. A couple people here say they have inside information through relationships with the players or the team and they don't want to abuse that relationship. Good point. But it's almost always - maybe always always - going to get out.

I guess I don't think it's a big deal to ask the coach, and expect him to say, It's a broken left wrist [I'm making this up, not talking abot Pokoluk] and our guess is he'll be out six weeks so even if the season extends into April, it's iffy if he's going to be back.

Look how quickly the news of Stempniak's injury got out of Hanover.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: February 07, 2005 09:23AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

- HIPAA is making a lot of hospitals think about getting rid of paper charts hanging at the nurses' stations and implementing all-electronic records and walk-around tablets containing patient charts. That's going to be real secure, until it gets hacked. And anyway the records once electronic probably wind up in the hands of your insurance company and your life insurance carrier and the company running experimental trials on the drugs used on you and maybe by the state insurance department doing an anti-fraud audit. You really think that's secure?
[/q]

Actually Bill, I do. How many hours of HIPAA training have you been through?

The data security requirements of HIPAA go into effect in April of this year. They aren't f'ing around. For example, here at UConn our medical informatics director was telling us that even within a database, PHI needs to be segregated from non-PHI in logically distinct tables and that PHI needs to be encrypted within the table itself. (Database guys are gonna love that)

Will there be accidental release of PHI? Sure. But HIPAA also contains *serious* criminal penalties for disclosure and misuse of PHI. These include:

[q]
1. Be fined not more than $50,000, imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
2. If the offense is committed under false pretenses, be fined not more than $100,000, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
3. If the offense is committed with intent to sell, transfer or use individually identifiable health information for commercial advantage, personal gain or malicious harm, be fined not more than $250,000, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.
[/q]

It may take a test case or two, but after a couple of insurance company execs spend 10 years in federal PYITA prison, I doubt anyone is going to risk that just to jack up your insurance rates.

Interestingly, in the first criminal prosecution under HIPAA, the individual charged was *NOT* a "covered entity." Instead, he was an employee of a covered entity. The DOJ determined that it could prosecute him anyway. I'm not saying that DOJ is actually gonna prosecute a team manager, but this strongly suggests that the "manager isn't a health care provider" argument just doesn't fly.

[q]
Pro sports especially, injury information has to - is supposed to be, at least - be disclosed fully so that gamblers who have inside information don't have inside information.
[/q]

Pro being the operative word. We're talking about NCAA student-athletes here.

[q]
- As a practical matter also, college hockey is an insular and gossipy world and the extent of his injury is likely to get out. [Ferris needs a liver-style game of telephone]. pretty soon it's not a secet anymore. [/q]

Besides the point. If parents gossip, that's their business. But posting declaritive statements on an internationally accessible online forum is a different matter altogether.

re: medical privacy [wandering OT]
Date: February 07, 2005 09:57AM

I say tomato, you say tomahto. There is no question HIPAA (health insurance and portability act of 1996, "HIPAA" (pronounced but not spelled HIPPA)) has severe penalties and has health care providers and their adjuncts rightfully concerned.

a) because they should be. There are as you note really severe penalties possible for disclosure, theft, embezzlement of the data
b) (IMO) health care providers are like academics and social service agencies and they run scared and have lots of committee meetings and training and pledges to sign.

Here's the tomato / tomahto difference (as I see it): eLynah, the Boston Globe, Cornell Daily Sun, and Bob Woodward are not signatories to HIPAA. It's wrong and it's illegal for Gannett Clinic to post Sasha's Xray on-line. Someone from the media (and this site broadly defined is part of the media, just without printing presses) who has this information and passes it on to the public, they're in a different boat. Are you going to fine or toss in jail the Washington Post Supreme Court reporter for saying that the Chief Justice's cancer is worse than anyone thought (or not as serious, or whatever)? OK, he's a public figure. Sasha less so but not a truly private figure.

The HIPAA wording can appear to make it illegal for someone to steal or possibly to possess patient records, but the courts not congress decide which wins out, the First Amendment or HIPAA, and in what circumstances.

The gray area (and this is not the media's finest moment) is what is the legal liability of someone in the media who steals Burger's medical chart or Sasha's X-ray ... vs. hearing about it from two or three sources ... vs. having someone slip it to him/her without the writer seeking it out directly?

If I was a lawyer worried about running short on clients as the tobacco / asbestos litigation winds down, I'd become an expert in HIPAA privacy suits. As you noted, adjuncts can be (should be) accountable, and you can expect a rash of suits saying essentially, "The health care provider should have known when it outsourced its medical dictation transcription business to Bangalore that it was an unsecure privacy environmet ... etcetera ... so pay up."

I love computers, I think computers are great, but I think the potential for widespread theft / disclosure is just immense.

Anybody see the IBM TV commercial where a medical team comes running up to the IBM Answer Man and says we've got a patient in bad shape but we can't contact his doctor at home or his hospital for his records and how do we get his vitals? And the IBM Answer Man says, "Done." Maybe IBM's agency intended for that to show the power of technology to cure the sick. To some other people I think it brought home the specter of Big Brother. (And did anyone catch William Safire's farewell columns in the NYT in which he broke ranks from his fellow conservatives and said our privacy erodes more each year especially when the government says "pressing needs of national security"?)

Date: February 07, 2005 10:13AM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:
Interestingly, in the first criminal prosecution under HIPAA, the individual charged was *NOT* a "covered entity." Instead, he was an employee of a covered entity. The DOJ determined that it could prosecute him anyway. I'm not saying that DOJ is actually gonna prosecute a team manager, but this strongly suggests that the "manager isn't a health care provider" argument just doesn't fly.[/q]Interesting. I'll defer to your (and Jim Hyla's) superior knowledge here. It would depend on how the equipment manager came into the information, right?

Posted by: Harrier (209.150.239.---)
Date: February 07, 2005 10:19AM

I sat behind those kids in the Jerseys, before you get too excited...they were maybe 15 years old, probably 14.

Date: February 07, 2005 12:03PM

[Q]Harrier Wrote:

I sat behind those kids in the Jerseys, before you get too excited...they were maybe 15 years old, probably 14.

[/q]

Hey, it's never too early to start recruiting for the Class of 2013. :-P

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 12:10PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
blah blah blah[/q][Q]jeh25 Wrote:
blah blah blah[/q][Q]ugarte Wrote:
blah blah blah[/q][Q]other people also wrote:
blah blah blah[/q]Do we really have to have this debate each and every time a player gets injured? Even when we know it's the same thing each and every time? snore

Date: February 07, 2005 01:46PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:
Adam said that your not mentioning Pokulok in your USCHO article "said a lot" to him. [/q]

It said a lot to me because had Coach felt comfortable talking about it, Avash would have reported on it. I knew that if Avash didn't mention it, it was an intentional omission.

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 02:31PM

The HIPPA laws only pertain to school officials releasing the information. They don't pertain to a journalist reporting the information if they found out.

The fact that Pokulok left with a serious injury is newsworthy and relevant and should have been reported if known, even if they extent was unknown. But I'm sure Avash would've reported it had he known.

Finally, my guess is Mike Schafer doesn't go into detail on injuries because of coaching reasons, not because of HIPPA. I highly doubt that he, nor any of the players, would care about reporting what their injury was if not for gamesmanship. And sometimes players don't care and will tell you.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 02:37PM

[q]The HIPPA laws only pertain to school officials releasing the information. They don't pertain to a journalist reporting the information if they found out. [/q]I actually suspect that a journalist would have a legal right to print the information even if the source were a school official who was violating HIPPA laws. I'm pretty sure this is the case for reporting on illegal government leaks, though the different context (individual privacy) might mean the Supreme Court precedents don't apply.

I do agree with Josh on this though. Can't we agree to disagree?

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 03:43PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
blah blah blah[/Q]
jeh25 Wrote:
blah blah blah[/Q]
ugarte Wrote:
blah blah blah[/Q]
other people also wrote:
blah blah blah[/Q]
Do we really have to have this debate each and every time a player gets injured? Even when we know it's the same thing each and every time? [/q]Hey! That was my point!

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 04:22PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:
other people also wrote:
blah blah blah[/Q][/q]

Excuse me -- in the interest of accuracy in quoting, I should point out that I wrote "yadda yadda yadda", not "blah blah blah". :-P

Date: February 07, 2005 04:56PM

[OT] Hmm. Yadda-yadda vs. yada-yada. One of us must be from out of town. This may be like the "stand on line" (New Yorker) / "stand in line" (west of the Hudson) difference. Random House on yadda/yada (dates at probably late 1940s) and also blah-blah-blah (1910s). [www.randomhouse.com]

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 07:30PM

A true New Yorker cuts the line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login