Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

How good are the Patriots?

Posted by Red Man 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How good are the Patriots?
Posted by: Red Man (---.fidelity.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 12:18PM

I know this is off topic for this board but I just wanted to comment how impressed I am with what is going on in Foxborough. The team first attitude is a rarity in professional sports and a shining example to amateur athetics of all kinds. I am a NYC guy therefore this pains me to admit but they have become the mid 90s Yankees without the benefit of an outsized pay structure. This might be the most impressive professional sports team that I have ever watched. How can you not admire these guys?

Is there any doubt that they will dismantle the Eagles?

Re: How good are the Patriots?
Posted by: dsr11 (---.itsnpt.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 12:42PM

nope. eagles don't stand a chance, even if TO does play.

Posted by: Nate 04 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 12:50PM

[Q] nope. eagles don't stand a chance, even if TO does play.[/Q]

Funny thing that is what everyone said about the Pats three years ago. That's what everyone said about the Pats this year against the Colts and the Steelers. That's what everyone said about the Panthers last year and they made it a hell of a game. All I'm saying is that when everyone is going for one team, it might be better to go the other way (sorry, stole that from the playoff gambling manifesto by Bill Simmons). I don't think the Pats are unbeatable and I'm hoping that it shows next week.

That said: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 01:00PM

[Q]Is there any doubt that they will dismantle the Eagles? [/Q]

Pats vs. Rams, Super Bowl XXXVI
Douglas vs. Tyson, 1990
Dodgers vs. A's, 1988
Villanova vs. Georgetown, 1985
USA vs. USSR, 1980
Mets vs. Orioles, 1969
Jets vs. Colts, Super Bowl III
USA vs. USSR, 1960
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2005 01:01PM by RichH.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: January 26, 2005 01:23PM

To answer the post, IMO:

The Patriots are a very good team.

They do, however, have a great coach.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2005 01:40PM

Dolphins 29 - Patriots 28
12/20/04
:-P

Date: January 26, 2005 01:50PM

You listed 8 epic upsets. For each of these there are about 800 in which the overwhelming favorite prevailed. There are your odds.

To be fair I don't think an eagles victory will qualify as an upset of the same kind of magitude as those.

I feel sorry for the Eagles and their fans....they are a lock to suffer from happy-to-be-there syndrome.

It will not be until after they lose that the realize that despite the euphoria of last week's win they will have accomplished nothing.

Date: January 26, 2005 01:58PM

Wait...isn't that what everyone said about the Red Sox. That beating the Yankees was their world series. Then they went out and beat the Cardinals to pulp. I'm not saying the Eagles will beat the Pats to pulp, just pointing out that this year (well the last 12 months) have been pretty crazy for sports.

Not to mention this could be destiny, check out the relationship of 4's

NFC Championship Games
'01 Eagles lose to Rams
'02 Eagles lose to Bucs
'03 Eagles lose to Panthers
'04 Eagles beat the Vikes

Philadelphia Championship Games
'93 Phillies lose to Blue Jays
'97 Flyers lose to Red Wings
'01 Sixers lose to Lakers
'04 Eagles _______ Patriots

So, after 4 tries, the Eagles win. After 4 tries, separated by 4 years, what does the 4th major sports team to get to the championship game do?

I really detest this 2 week layoff...I want the game this weekend!

Date: January 26, 2005 02:20PM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:

You listed 8 epic upsets. For each of these there are about 800 in which the overwhelming favorite prevailed. There are your odds. [/q]
True, but I was just answering (in a round-about way) your question about if there were any doubt. The answer should be yes.

Date: January 26, 2005 02:27PM

[Q]Nate 04 Wrote:

Wait...isn't that what everyone said about the Red Sox. That beating the Yankees was their world series. [/Q]

No, I think "everyone" said that the win vs. the Yankees wouldn't mean as much unless they went on to beat the Cardinals and finally ended their drought.

[Q]Not to mention this could be destiny, check out the relationship of 4's[/Q]
Now you have stretched the "destiny" cliche as far as anyone I've ever seen.

Personally, I have no real rooting interest. It's good for a change to have a major championship that I'm not rooting against anyone. The Pats are the clear favorite this year. As the Dolphins proved, it isn't a sure thing.

Date: January 26, 2005 02:31PM

All I've heard is the other D word "Dynasty" Since I'm as much an Eagles fan as a Pats hater (being a Bills fan), I like to put in a good word for them.

Also being a Syracuse fan, I'd love to see Donnie McNabb win the big one. The only other championship game he was in, was when he sat at the end of the SU basketball bench and loved every minute of it. Now he's the one in the driver's seat. (The drivers seat Tedy Bruschi intends to eject him from, I'm sure).

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 02:41PM

I hate the Patriots, but they are the best-coached team and best-run organization since the Niners. I wouldn't put them in the class of the super teams of the 70's (e.g., Dolphins, Steelers) but that may be nostalgia triumphing over judgment. Clearly, if they win 3 SBs in 4 years, they will be worthy of consideration as a great team.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: January 26, 2005 03:15PM

If there's any organization similar to the Patriots in the NFL, it's the Eagles. Like the Pats, their management is routinely praised for their savvy cap management and ability to identify key players to retain and key players to bring in. For similar reasons that Corey Dillon wanted to join the Pats, TO and Jevon Kearse wanted to join the Eagles. Both teams have well-regarded head coaches and coordinators at the top of their professions (and highly sought after as head coaches).

To say that the Eagles will definitely suffer from being just happy to be there is to buy into a cliche. What about the Eagles or their coaches make you think that will happen? Listen to what the players are saying in the media. And so many "experts" are expecting that to be the case that the players and coaches can't help but to guard against that happening. Not to mention that Andy Reid is something like 8-0 coming off bye weeks.

That's not to say the Pats won't win, or shouldn't be heavily favored. It's unlikely that the Eagles can win unless McNabb has an MVP-caliber game and is able to read the Pats defenses and make the right decisions of where to put the ball.

Also, regarding the mid-to-late-90s Yankees, I wouldn't say their pay structure was "outsized". In 1998, their best season, their payroll's standard deviation score was only about 1.25. In 2003, it was almost 2.50.
See: [www.businessofbaseball.com]

In 1998, the Yankees didn't even have the highest payroll on Opening Day; that honor belonged to the Orioles and Atlanta and Cleveland were very close.

Date: January 26, 2005 03:38PM

To compare the Eagles to the Patriots on or off the field is blasphemy. The Eagles have players who devise end zone dances (not just TO) and their receivers, who shy from hits, were seen grabbing their package on nationalTV following their win on Sunday. They have 9 pro-bowlers to the Patriots 2 yet have a recent history of choking in big games. They might be trying to become the Patriots but they are not there. Not even close.

And as for the Yankees, their payroll even back them was more than 2x the league avarage (look it up). There may have been a few teams with similar payrolls (but not anymore). The Patriots are doing this with a payroll that is essentially identical to all of the other teams. Big difference.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: January 26, 2005 04:01PM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:

To compare the Eagles to the Patriots on or off the field is blasphemy. The Eagles have players who devise end zone dances (not just TO) and their receivers, who shy from hits, were seen grabbing their package on nationalTV following their win on Sunday. They have 9 pro-bowlers to the Patriots 2 yet have a recent history of choking in big games. They might be trying to become the Patriots but they are not there. Not even close.

And as for the Yankees, their payroll even back them was more than 2x the league avarage (look it up). There may have been a few teams with similar payrolls (but not anymore). The Patriots are doing this with a payroll that is essentially identical to all of the other teams. Big difference. [/q]

End zone dances -- shocking! The nerve of some people. rolleyes

The Eagles are known throughout the league as one of the classiest organizations in the NFL, whether you agree or not. As for "chokes", the Eagles were underdogs to the Rams when they lost at St. Louis, the Bucs should have been favored against the Eagles and only weren't because of the "cold weather" issue against them and the Panthers showed how good of a team they were last season by almost beating the Patriots (but for a lousy kickoff after their last score, the game might have turned out differently).

In 1998, the median team payroll in the league was about $40 million; the Yankees ended at $63 million, SECOND in the league. How can anyone say their payroll was "outsized" that year when there were other teams spending more or close to the same amount?

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 26, 2005 04:18PM

If you get pressure on Brady, he folds and makes stupid plays (see: Miami Monday Night game).

If the Eagles can find a way to penetrate the Pats' fantastic O-Line, they can win the game.

Date: January 26, 2005 04:23PM

You sound like a jealous Eagles fan and an angry Yankees fan. Weak response

Date: January 26, 2005 04:26PM

I don't think the Miami game was typical of Brady, in fact I know it wasn't. While, I'm rooting for the Eagles and will stand up to anyone who says that the Pats are a for sure winner, I'm not going to deny the fact that Brady is one of the best decision makers in the league. Not to mention the fact that the Pats have got the best coaching staff. Belichek alone makes it great, but Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis (both will be head coaches next year) are amazing. Of course Andy Reid is probably the second best and they have put together a great season and team. They are constantly adapting to make themselves better (see putting Trotter at MLB and moving Simoneau to the outside improved their run defense). TO is one of the best receivers and Reid found a way to embrace him and accept that behind the antics there is a talented and most importantly dedicated player - did you see him on the sidelines during the NFC Champ game.

I was disappointed that the league championship games weren't as exciting as I'd expected. I hope this SB won't disappoint and I don't think it will.

Date: January 26, 2005 04:28PM

Aren't most yankee fans angry nowadays?

20-04.....20-04....20-04

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 04:56PM

"T.O play or not T.O. play, that is the question" has been the sportsradio subject of late... To steal another Bill Simmons-ism, I'm thinking the Ewing Theory can come into play for the Eagles. You never know what can happen -- maybe they can come together as a team and upset the favorite... But, don't the Eagles have enough to worry about without the added T.O. drama?

That said, I'm a Pats fan and am sticking behind Belichick, the Master of Understatement.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 05:05PM

wow...definitely coming too late to this very OT sports discussion (and am honestly surprised the gestapo hasn't jumped on red man for not putting the "OT" in original subject line).

first, i'm surprised you included the 1988 world series loss but not the even more insane 1990 loss-by-sweep, rich. but that's neither here nor there.

second, not "everyone" thought that the pats were going to lose to indy or pittsburgh (not even a statistically comparable level to some of the other examples listed by nate 04). again...that's not really the point.

while culater's original statement of pats-eagles comparison wasn't too specific, it was followed by specific examples in which they were (at the very least) arguably comparable. and yet red man not only replies by bringing up subjects unrelated to any of these points, but also misuses the word "blasphemy" (no football team is sacred or invioable to anyone outside its own fan base). the ad hom attack at culater was also most impressive.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2005 05:13PM by Jacob 03.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 05:07PM

and a Hockey East Thread broke out.

Posted by: bobby (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 05:11PM

they suck

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: January 26, 2005 05:12PM

[Q]Nate 04 Wrote:

Aren't most yankee fans angry nowadays?[/q]

Nah, we leave the anger to the Red Sox fans. Losing a close series is frustrating, but it would take years and years of futility before it even approaches the size of the chip that's still on many Sox fan's shoulder.

Also, you can't just look at MLB salaries to understand the imbalance Steinbrenner has introduced to professional baseball. The Yanks have the money to bring in and develop the best talent. Soriano came to the Yankees system because of a huge signing bonus. So did Drew Henson, Deion Sanders, and whatzisname kid who broke his shoulder in a fight in NC. That's one place where most Yankee fans and Red Sox fans agree -- few tears would be shed if a lightning bolt were to fry his ass.

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 05:27PM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:
They might be trying to become the Patriots but they are not there. Not even close.
[/q]

Um, wouldn't the fact that they're playing the Patriots in the Super Bowl indicate that they are at least close?

And say what you will about end zone celebrations, but the Eagles have exhibited great team football all season. Terrell Owens hasn't created any locker room division like many people predicted. Players (Trotter, Simoneau, Sheppard, to name three) have stepped into new roles and it has helped the defense tremendously. Even First Down Freddie Mitchell stepped up his game against the Vikings a couple of weeks ago. The Eagles lost one meaningful game all season (a game in which they didn't have a healthy Brian Westbrook), and they rebounded from that loss with four straight wins by at least three touchdowns each. Speaking of Westbrook, he's perhaps the most underrated player in football. The Eagles are 14-0 this season (playoffs included) when he starts, and 21-2 in his 23 career regular season starts.

By the way, the best Eagles end zone celebration this season belongs to long snapper and third-string TE Mike Bartrum. After catching his first TD in three years, he got down in his stance and snapped the ball to the 20-yard line.

Date: January 26, 2005 05:34PM

I think this would be a reach for the Ewing Theory, just because TO obviously made this team better when he played this season. They've just found a way to recover the loss of him so far. It'll be interesting to see how they play without him in the SB or with a gimpy TO if he decides that his doc is a crock and he's waited too long to play in the big game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't played in the SB yet. Think about the parallels of him and Corey Dillon. Two guys stuck on teams going no where, finally getting to play in their big game. Both were thought to be a distraction and not a helpful part of a team and both have showed they can have a huge impact on things.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 07:14PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Dolphins 29 - Patriots 28
12/20/04[/q]

But was it ex-eagle AJ Feely under center or that bum from Dartmouth? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 07:36PM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:

Is there any doubt that they will dismantle the Eagles? [/q]

No true Patriots fan would ever say they will definately win. The organization has several core values: team first, respect your opponent, prepare, show up to play, go the extra mile, stay out of trouble and don't talk shit. These values have trickled down from ownership to coaches to players to fans.

Do I have to read two more weeks worth of this pointless dribble?

I'd rather have a discussion about how CU Athletics are fucking with Age. Maybe they are prejudice against Italians?

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 08:48PM

[Q]Facetimer Wrote:

I'd rather have a discussion about how CU Athletics are fucking with Age. Maybe they are prejudice against Italians?[/q]
Facetime, sorry to nit-pick but the word is drivel (n): as in silly or irrelevant talk.

... let the name calling begin popcorn

Date: January 26, 2005 09:46PM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:

You sound like a jealous Eagles fan and an angry Yankees fan. Weak response [/q]

Huh? Since when is reasoned rebuttal to message board ass blather a weak response? Failing to win when you're not the favorite is not choking. Pointing that out is weak how?

As a long time Eagles fan, I'm hopeful, but I also fear this will end up like Superbowl XIX. Not in terms of the score but in that an excellent challenger will run headlong into the team of the decade on their unrelenting march into the history books.

Does TO's injury hurt the Eagles? Certainly. But Greg Lewis and Freddie Mitchell have both stepped up since then, Westbrook is always dangerous and then of course, you have to deal with McNabb. If his arm doesn't get you, his feet will. Did you watch the game against Dallas? He alluded tacklers for over 14 seconds before throwing a 60 yard strike to Freddie Mitchell. Guy didn't exactly get to the Pro Bowl 5 times by being a bum, regardless of what Rush Limbaugh thinks.

Tom Brady is 8-0 in the postseason and Belichick has built an absolutely amazing organization in New England. But Andy Reid and Jim Johnson don't exactly ride the short bus. In fact, Reid has a perfect record coming off the bye week.

So while the Pats certainly have the edge, it isn't a foregone conclusion come Feb 6th.

Date: January 26, 2005 09:51PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

Facetimer Wrote:

I'd rather have a discussion about how CU Athletics are fucking with Age. Maybe they are prejudice against Italians?[/Q]
Facetime, sorry to nit-pick but the word is drivel (n): as in silly or irrelevant talk.

... let the name calling begin[/q]

Dribble is what your dick does after you bang facetimer's mom...

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 12:39AM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:

You sound like a jealous Eagles fan and an angry Yankees fan. Weak response [/q]

Actually I'm a NY Giants and Mets fan, but that's besides the point.

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 01:24AM

I have covered the Eagles for 3 years. If myself from 8 years ago came into the future, and found out now that I was pulling for them, my past self would've kicked my ass. I HATED the Eagles, and everything about their fans, city, etc...

What I've discovered in three years, though, is that it's impossible to hate this team. I totally agree that they are as close to the Patriots as anyone except the Patriots. In fact, their depth and adept handling of the roster may be better. Their coach is as classy as it gets - their coordinators are tremendous - and McNabb is one of the nicest people on earth.

Terrell Owens may be a loon with his end zone stuff ... however, I have found him to be a good guy who causes ZERO problems and does nothing but work his rear end off.

Look at it this way -- people talk about what the Pats have lost .... The Eagles will go into this game without their starting fullback, starting halfback, starting wide receiver, starting tight end, and starting middle linebacker from the beginning of the season - and they absolutely will not miss them (except Owens). The Eagles' depth is nothing short of extraordinary. They have 8 D lineman who play regularly and play well. Linebackers too.

The Pats are a better team and should be favored. But I can attest that the Eagles, as a franchise, are just as admirable, despite not having won the Super Bowl. This doesn't necessarily translate into a win for the Eagles, but it should be pointed out to many of the naysayers here.

I loathe to defend an Eagles fan, but they deserve it. Reid, McNabb and the team deserve it.

And indeed Brian Westbrook is a great talent, but probably no longer a secret. He is MORE valuable to the offense than Terrell Owens - there's not even a doubt about that.

Last year, when the Eagles lost the NFC Championship game, it wasn't just because they didn't have Owens. They lost without Westbrook, McNabb got hurt early in the game, without both starting defensive tackles (Thomas and Burgess), without the current middle linebacker (Trotter), and with rookie cornerbacks filling in for two injured corners. Last year was smoke and mirrors. This team is totally different. The biggest problem, of course, being that they weren't really tested because the NFC stinks.

We'll see. But I'm taking the Eagles +7.

Posted by: A-19 (---.echryh01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 04:40AM

fly eagles fly

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 08:42AM

Patriots are a great team. I want the Patriots to win, though it's not the same desire as seeing the Sox win. But blow out the Eagles? Don't think so and, for the sake of entertainment value, don't hope so. The majority of these stupid XXXIX (why can't they just say 39?) years, if it wasn't for the cheap sex thrills in the beer commercials, there'd be nothing to watch.

Date: January 27, 2005 08:49AM

Not to mention this cheap sex thrills in the halftime show:-D

I'm guessing they've told Paul McCartney that he can't rip off his shirt off any time during the performance.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 09:22AM

Like the NFL is really shocked and annoyed that Janet Jackson's boob popped out for a couple seconds. The NFL says it is committed to wholesome family fare. The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders bouncing up and down on the sidelines for 35 years, that's wholesome. Janet undraped for 3.5 seconds, that's unwholesome?

Posted by: Facetimer (---.toddweld.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 09:57AM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

[/q]

Thank you Ben, I stand corrected. Let me see if I fully understand the word, let me try it in a sentence:

"Correcting one's word usage is drivel."

Date: January 27, 2005 10:05AM

I am a Mets fan too...painful.

Here is what I will concede. Philly is modeled after New England and trying to become like them (Lorie and Kraft are both massholes and freinds). However Philly can only be described as a poor man's New England and, obviously, the most important difference is the rings.

As for the comparison of the mid 90s Yankees and today's Patriots my point is that the Patriots are doing it with the same pay cap that constraints every other team in the league faces. The yankees did it with a salary that was 1.5x the league average (according to your numbers) in the mid 90s...to put that in a football perspective that is an advatage that would allow a team to afford 5-7 stars (pro-bowlers) that the average competitor could not. Huge, huge, huge advantage. The Cowboy and 49er dynasties had huge payrolls (and they are still paying for those excesses today). The Patriots have no such advantage. The other reason that I compare them to mid 90s Yankees is that the core players are not all stars but they have all bought into the team concept and they win. Jeter = Brady but Bruschi+Harrison+Troy Brown = Brosius+O'neil+Tino M. In my opinion the Patriots are the most impressive professional sports franchise I have seen in a long time. Great role models.

As for the game itself....The Eagles just do not have enough weapons. They have a versatile back who is a poor man's Marshall Faulk and a solid QB who can throw and run. But their receivers will get DESTROYED by the New England secondary and back down. The Eagles defense is strong but if they stop Dillon then Brady will go over the top and kill them....and the Patriots receivers will not shy away from getting hit and they never ever drop balls. The Patriots are strong in all aspects of the game....I just don't see a way the Eagles can beat them.

Date: January 27, 2005 10:54AM

The Eagles aren't modeled after the Patriots at all, and the only thing about the Patriots that the Eagles want to become is that they are defending Super Bowl champs. The Eagles actually have been in the playoffs each of the past five seasons; the Pats have only made it in three of those seasons. So by that measure, you could say that the Eagles have been successful longer than the Patriots have.

I don't know how you can argue that the Pats' secondary will destroy the Eagles' receivers. Outside of Rodney Harrison, the Pats' secondary is a bunch of backups and actually was in the bottom half of the NFL in passing yards allowed. The Pats' defensive strength is in their linebackers. And Brady going over the top to kill the Eagles is also unlikely, since the Eagles' secondary hasn't been a liability all season, and actually has a Pro Bowl corner and two Pro Bowl safeties. If you don't see a way the Eagles can beat the Patriots, you're deliberately ignoring far too many possibilities.

By the way, I'm going to be in Jacksonville for the game...anyone have a good ticket contact?

Date: January 27, 2005 11:06AM

Isn't it amazing that the top three teams (by most any "experts'" opinion and most fans' as well) all met or will meet during the course of the year. Obviously Pittsburgh had the upper hand against both the Eagles and the Pats when they met earlier in the year, but those two teams both came together well after the losses. Now they meet in the big game.

Minus Pittsburgh's second game of the season, the Pats' fluke (and I don't see how you can call it much of anything else) against the Dolphins and the Eagle's two losses at the end of the year where scrubs played most of the game, none of the teams have lost a game outside the triumvirate. That's pretty impressive. Clearly these were the top three in the NFL and the playoffs this season is working right as their seasons have been and will be decided playing against each other.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: January 27, 2005 11:27AM

You want to talk about parity? Look at the Men's draw at Australian Open. All four of the semi-finalists (Safin, Roddick, Federer, Hewitt) were #1 in the world at some time. I don't think that's ever happened before.

P.S. should be an exciting match tonight, when Roddick and Hewitt play for a spot in the finals. LIVE tonight on ESPN2 at 3:30am.

Date: January 27, 2005 12:10PM

Patriots have a bunch of backups? Safety Eugene Wilson was on some people's pro-bowl rosters and Asante Samuel is one of the best young corners in ther game. Their supposed weak link is at the other corner where Law used to play and now played by some guy from LSU (can't remember his name) who has played just fine. ESPN has their pass defense rating at 4th in the AFC (Philly is 4th in the NFC). They shut down the Colts. No touchdowns allowed against the Colts. Your description of the the Patriots secondary as a bunch of back ups is simply wrong. Try watching football on Sundays then you'll be better informed.

There is no question that the Patriots have more playoff appearances and more playoff wins than the Eagles over the last 10 years. They have been in 4 of the last 9 superbowls....

Watch what happens to those skinny little Eagles receivers next Sunday.

As a Giants fan I take some pleasure out of the Patriots success (Belichick).

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.lawnet.ucla.edu)
Date: January 27, 2005 01:21PM

I'm not denying the Patriots' success, but to go back 10 years is useless. Both teams have been completely overhauled in the past 10 years. Nobody from the '95 Eagles is still on the team, and there's a different coach. The Patriots only have three players from their '95 team still on the roster, and they're on their second coach since then.

The Eagles allowed fewer passing yards and fewer passing TDs than the Patriots this season despite having more passes thrown against them. True, the Patriots had more interceptions (20) than the Eagles (17), but six of the Pats' INTs were by linebackers, not by the secondary.

Yes, Eugene Wilson is a good player, but Asante Samuel still doesn't exactly strike fear in my heart with his one interception this season. And how can you forget the name of Ty Law's rookie backup, Randall Gay?

The win over the Colts was impressive, I'll give you that, but the credit should go not to the secondary, but to the run defense for holding the Colts to under 50 rushing yards, to the offensive game plan for dominating the time of possession, and to the weather for hampering a dome QB.

Besides, hasn't watching the Eagles pound on the Giants for the last four years convinced you that the Eagles can play with any team in the NFL? Or were you not watching football on those Sundays?

Date: January 27, 2005 02:01PM

You are obviously an Eagles fan therefore you have an agenda and I am sure that you will find way to convince yourself that the Eagles are a better team and a better franchise than the Patriots. The reality is that they have 2 lombardi trophies in their case and most likely will have a third by the end of next weekend. The Eagles simply cannot measure up to that.

You sound like a Red Sox fan circa 2003.

Date: January 27, 2005 02:09PM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:

You are obviously an Eagles fan therefore you have an agenda[/q]
As a neutral observer of this thread, there only seems to be one person here with some sort of agenda.

Date: January 27, 2005 03:50PM

Precisely

Date: January 27, 2005 06:13PM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:
The Eagles just do not have enough weapons. They have a versatile back who is a poor man's Marshall Faulk and a solid QB who can throw and run. But their receivers will get DESTROYED by the New England secondary and back down. The Eagles defense is strong but if they stop Dillon then Brady will go over the top and kill them....and the Patriots receivers will not shy away from getting hit and they never ever drop balls. The Patriots are strong in all aspects of the game....I just don't see a way the Eagles can beat them.
[/q]

You're probably right about the Eagles WR corps, particularly with Pinkston's prediliction towards getting jammed at the line. Add in that TE Chad Lewis is out, and the Eagles passing game would seem to be in serious trouble. But then again, LJ Smith has been a good target as 2nd TE, Westbrook has over 700 yrs receiving and Greg Lewis, while being virtually unknown, is the fastest WR the Eagles have.

However, your statement that Brady will "go over the top and kill them" is just silly. The Eagles secondary has 3 Pro Bowlers. If the Pats can dominate the Eagles anywhere, it will be on the ground. Smashing Dillion and Faulk up the middle could cause real problems for the Eagles linebackers.

Date: January 27, 2005 06:58PM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:

You are obviously an Eagles fan therefore you have an agenda and I am sure that you will find way to convince yourself that the Eagles are a better team and a better franchise than the Patriots. The reality is that they have 2 lombardi trophies in their case and most likely will have a third by the end of next weekend. The Eagles simply cannot measure up to that.

You sound like a Red Sox fan circa 2003.[/q]

Your amazing powers of deduction are right; I am an Eagles fan. However, I never said that the Eagles were a better team or franchise than the Patriots. The Patriots are favored in the Super Bowl, as they should be. But to say things like, "To compare the Eagles to the Patriots on or off the field is blasphemy," "The Patriots are strong in all aspects of the game....I just don't see a way the Eagles can beat them," and "Is there any doubt that they will dismantle the Eagles?" just sounds ignorant. Of course the Eagles have a chance. The lowly Dolphins beat the Patriots this season; surely the best team in the NFC has a chance to beat them as well.

And if I really wanted to sound like a Red Sox fan circa 2003, I would be whining about Philly's 23-year championship drought in all four major sports (something I hadn't even mentioned) instead of making reasoned arguments as to why the Eagles will likely give the Patriots a game. In fact, I'd say you sound more like a Yankees fan than I sound like a Red Sox fan.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 07:33PM

I know you're just arguing with him in his style, Alex, but God knows you couldn't have let the post go without a jab at the Yankees fans- many of whom have sat idly by or supported your side of the "Red Man is irrational" argument.

Date: January 27, 2005 07:38PM

To be fair, I dislike Red Sox fans and Yankees fans equally. Some are even tolerable in small doses.

Posted by: Robin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 07:45PM

In reference to Red Man's first inital post on this topic.....it's Foxboro not Foxborough. :-p

Robin

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 08:06PM

[Q]Robin Wrote:

In reference to Red Man's first inital post on this topic.....it's Foxboro not Foxborough. :-p

Robin[/q]

[www.foxboroughpolice.com]

Posted by: Andrew (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 27, 2005 08:45PM

The Sixers won in 1983... not 23 years ago...

You ignorant Patriots fans must be the same people who gave McKee a standing O when he ended his season last year again Clarkson. Cocky morans. The Eagles will win because 1. Andy Reid has NEVER lost after a bye week and with Jimi Johnson, will devise a game plan that will force Brady out of the closet, I mean pocket. 2. Brian Westbrook and the rest of the offense is so versatile that absolute Genius/God Billicheck can't devise a specific game plan to shut off the offense as he did with Peyton Manning. The Eagles can run it up the gut, complete 20 yard screen passes and burn you with Greg Lewis. Mcnabb can run... 3. T.O. is not actually a distraction at all. 4. Philadelphia is going nuts and the players have nothing to loose, they got over the hump. 5. McNabb is underrated, Brady is not. 7. New England fans are frauds. 8. The Pats are only favored by so much because there is a change in the betting makeup during the SuperBowl and regular people want to bet on a consistant team. Las Vegas knows that people will blindly pick the Patriots so they created a rediculous line, starting at 6(not 14). 9. Don't you remember what happened to the Best Show on Turf...?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2005 08:56PM by Andrew.

Posted by: Robin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 10:45PM

"The old spelling of the town is Foxborough. The modern spelling is Foxboro."

perhaps we are both correct.
I'm usually a stickler for spelling. Sorry to call you out incorrectly.

Robin

Date: January 28, 2005 12:00AM

[Q]Andrew Wrote:

The Sixers won in 1983... not 23 years ago...

[/q]

I knew that, I think I just put 23 because I had the "3" from '83 in mind. Whether it's 21 or 23 years ago, it's still a long time.

Posted by: A-19 (---.echryh01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 05:52AM

philadelphia is the city with the 4 major sports franchises that has waited the longest since its last national championship.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 06:43AM

How many cities (or SSMAs) even have teams in all 4 majors?

NYC (twice over)
Chi
LA
Det
Philly
Den
Phx
Dal
Twin Cities
Miami

Others? I must have missed one.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.mobility-dn.psu.edu)
Date: January 28, 2005 07:57AM

[Q] Greg Berge Wrote:
How many cities even have teams in all 4 majors?
...LA...
[/Q]
Not anymore, unless you're counting San Diego for football, in which case you'd have to count San Jose hockey for SanFran/Oakland, and then merge DC and Baltimore, and then things might start getting ridiculous I guess....

Boston comes to mind as one you missed

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: January 28, 2005 09:24AM

Miami? huh?

EDIT: I *guess* the Panthers count. But they play in Ft Lauderdale, not Miami.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2005 09:39AM by jeh25.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 28, 2005 09:40AM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

Miami? huh?[/q]

Panthers, Marlins (not for long), Dolphins, Heat

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: January 28, 2005 11:25AM

[Q]then merge DC and Baltimore[/Q]

DC has The Nationals now in baseball, so they can legitimately be added to the list.

Atlanta too
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2005 11:35AM by Pete Godenschwager.

Posted by: Erica (---.afip.osd.mil)
Date: January 28, 2005 03:05PM

They could, but the area doesn't consider the Redskins to be a DC team. When the Nationals were added, they considered it the fifth professional team, after the Capitals, Wizards, Mystics and DC United, because the 'Skins play in Landover, MD. Weird, I know, but I guess they are talking about teams within the city limits.

Date: January 28, 2005 05:38PM

[Q]Erica Wrote:

They could, but the area doesn't consider the Redskins to be a DC team. When the Nationals were added, they considered it the fifth professional team, after the Capitals, Wizards, Mystics and DC United, because the 'Skins play in Landover, MD. Weird, I know, but I guess they are talking about teams within the city limits.[/q]

cf the Meadowlands...

Date: February 01, 2005 08:51AM

Another reason to like the Patriots over the Eagles: AFC teams were 44-20 against the NFC this season, a .688 winning percentage that ranks as the best in interconference play since 1979.

The AFC's six playoff teams were 21-3 against NFC opponents this season. Teams from the NFC that made the playoffs were 11-13 against the AFC.

The Patriots were 4-0 against the NFC; Philadelphia was 2-2 against the AFC.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: February 01, 2005 11:14AM

They're not yet referred to as the Landover Redskins, and they have more fans in the Northern Virginia suburbs than the Orioles do. I think they count. rolleyes

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: February 01, 2005 11:29AM

Sorry, but you're way off the mark on Brady. He's one of the coolest, best decision-makers in the game, and it's this quality that's gotten him where he is. When John Wangler graduated at Michigan, they recruited Drew Henson - who was supposed to be the next John Elway - to start at quarterback. Slight glitch, though, in that the previous season's backup - Brady - essentially beat out Henson for the job. This was not the plan, but when Brady was in everything clicked, even though he didn't have Henson's athletic talents. So as not to lose Henson, they platooned them that one year. Even then, no one expected Brady to be anything other than a second-string NFL quarterback someplace. We should have known better.

Date: February 01, 2005 12:28PM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:

The Patriots were 4-0 against the NFC; Philadelphia was 2-2 against the AFC.
[/q]

Yes, and 1 of those 2 losses was to the Steelers in Week 9, who as you may remember, beat the Pats in Week 8. The 2nd AFC loss was to Cincinnati in Week 17 with all of the Eagles starters sitting.

You're seriously reaching here. You can certainly find pointless stats that fit your biases, but that doesn't mean they have any meaning.

Frankly, I'm just looking forward to an exciting Super Bowl that's still worth watching in the 4th quarter.

Date: February 01, 2005 01:16PM

The more relavent stat is obviously the one i heard on the radio this morning.

Teams with mascots that are humans (ie. Patriots, Cowboys, Redskins, Packers, etc.) have an 18-8 record against teams with mascots that are animals (ie. Eagles, Dolphins, Colts, Bengals) in the Superbowl. I mean that just tells you everythingrolleyes

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 01, 2005 01:58PM

[Q]Nate 04 Wrote:
The more relavent stat is obviously the one i heard on the radio this morning.

Teams with mascots that are humans (ie. Patriots, Cowboys, Redskins, Packers, etc.) have an 18-8 record against teams with mascots that are animals (ie. Eagles, Dolphins, Colts, Bengals) in the Superbowl. I mean that just tells you everything [/q]

Does a "Bill" count as a human or an animal? There's an animal on the helmet, but Buffalo Bill was a person. Likewise, is a Giant a really big person or an inhuman mythological monster? Do supernatural beings count as animals? nut

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 01, 2005 02:00PM

Teams from the NFC that made the playoffs were 11-13 against the AFC.

Yes you're right.....this is irrelevent. Hello?

Date: February 01, 2005 02:08PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Does a "Bill" count as a human or an animal? There's an animal on the helmet, but Buffalo Bill was a person. Likewise, is a Giant a really big person or an inhuman mythological monster? Do supernatural beings count as animals?[/q]

Comparing what I heard on the radio and what i see on nfl.com of past champions, the Bills are included in the animals and Giants are included in human/human-like (I didn't catch what they did call that category). That's the reason I specified animal mascots - the Bills have a (Blue) Buffalo as their mascot.

The guys on the radio (mind you this is Boston Sports Radio 1510, not the best morning sports radio) had a hard time figuring out what the Packers were. They kept going on about how they must be meat packers (and making the obligatory jokes that would go along with that), since "that area" is known for its meat. Now, I may be naive, but isn't Wisconsin known for its cheese and wouldn't those funny shaped hats Packer fans wear be "Cheeseheads", thus wouldn't you sort of deduce that the Packers are called Packers because they are Cheese Packers?

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.lawnet.ucla.edu)
Date: February 01, 2005 04:05PM

Nobody's considering the fact that when the Eagles were in the Super Bowl 11 years ago, they had a two-touchdown lead at the half...of course, then Dan Marino returned to the game after being rescued by Ace Ventura, and I don't quite recall how that game turned out...but that has to count for something, right?

Date: February 01, 2005 04:09PM

Everyone knows Dan Marino couldn't win a superbowl. Of course neither have the eagles. I say it must have ended in a tie. That or the credits rolled first, since they didn't want to get the hopes of either of the teams' fans.

Date: February 01, 2005 05:33PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Do supernatural beings count as animals?[/q]

It's academic John.

Cornell will win the Orangebowl before the 'aints make it to the Superbowl...
:-P

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2005 05:41PM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:

Yes you're right.....this is irrelevent. Hello?[/q]

Come on, stop it. You're making Patriots fans look bad and overconfident when really we're not.

That stat IS irrelevant because it turns out that the NFC team that's in the Superbowl had a 0-0 record this year against the AFC team that's in the Superbowl (not counting the preseason!). That's all that matters.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 01, 2005 07:42PM

[Q]Nate 04 Wrote:
The guys on the radio (mind you this is Boston Sports Radio 1510, not the best morning sports radio) had a hard time figuring out what the Packers were. They kept going on about how they must be meat packers (and making the obligatory jokes that would go along with that), since "that area" is known for its meat. Now, I may be naive, but isn't Wisconsin known for its cheese and wouldn't those funny shaped hats Packer fans wear be "Cheeseheads", thus wouldn't you sort of deduce that the Packers are called Packers because they are Cheese Packers? [/q]

Given that they were once the Acme Packers, I'm guessing they pack anvils, strap-on rockets, and exploding birdseed. :-D

Date: February 01, 2005 07:44PM

[Q]Nate 04 Wrote:

Everyone knows Dan Marino couldn't win a superbowl. Of course neither have the eagles. I say it must have ended in a tie. That or the credits rolled first, since they didn't want to get the hopes of either of the teams' fans.[/q]

All I know is Ace kicked the Eagle mascot's ass!

Date: February 01, 2005 08:14PM

Swoop's been lifting. He told me he wants to throw down with Ace again.

Date: February 01, 2005 08:45PM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:

Yes you're right.....this is irrelevent. Hello?[/q]

Let's try a little experiment.

The ECAC is 14-25-3 against HEA.

By your logic, Merrimack will clearly destroy Cornell in the NCAA's.

Hello?

Date: February 02, 2005 11:05AM

By your logic Merrimack is to the hockey east what the Patriots are to the AFC. That is what you are saying.... Please.

My point is that when you play better competition week in and week out....your a better battle tested team and you are therefore in a better position to survive these 1 andf done tournaments.

The hockey east/ECAC comparison is a good one. How many ECAC teams have made it to the frozen 4 and the finals in the last 5 years. How many Hockey east teams made it. I don't have to look up the answer to tell you which one has had better representation.

Not sure what your problem is with this logic.

Are you guys just Patriots haters....seems like we are seeing a lot of these now.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 11:33AM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:

By your logic Merrimack is to the hockey east what the Patriots are to the AFC.[/q]
No, actually, that's your flawed logic that Hayes was spelling out. In a sense, you just disagreed with yourself.

Date: February 02, 2005 11:44AM

Patriot fans aren't overconfident? Let's take a look at the Sports Guy Bill Simmons and what he says in his daily blog from the Superbowl. This is a guy who claimed he wouldn't get overconfident. These are captions from under pictures (that he admitted to writing)

1. The Eagles line up for their team photo, which I'll be hanging over my fireplace -- along with photos of the 2002 Rams and the 2004 Panthers. Thanks for coming, guys. (Whoops, I sound like a Yankees fan again. Sorry.) By the way, the Eagles were extremely loose during Media Day. As Paul said, "They are the QUINTESSENTIAL happy-to-be-there team." Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger. [sports.espn.go.com]

2. A birds-eye look of the field for Super Bowl XXXIX: Where the Patriots will officially become a dynasty in five days. (Whoops, I sound like a Yankee fan again. Sorry.) [sports.espn.go.com]

From the Boston Herald (the slime of Boston news papers) headline: ‘See you at the victory parade’ [news.bostonherald.com]

Not overconfident. One of my good friends just turned from rooting for the Pats to rooting for the Eagles. 5 years ago, Pats fans would have killed for a championship, now they are turning into cocky brats. See I can say this and if you win the Superbowl, you'll come back saying "see, I told you we would win." But remember we're not talking about who's going to win, just who's becoming overconfident.

Btw, I think both teams are keeping level heads about themselves. It's just the media/Bill Simmons/and a few/some/all of the Patriots fans that are overconfident.

Date: February 02, 2005 01:19PM

???

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 07:50PM

Alex, you know I am terrified of mascots. Did you have to?

Date: February 02, 2005 09:09PM

Sorry...there was never going to be a better time to use that picture.

Date: February 04, 2005 02:56PM

More data to support my thesis from si.com:

The Patriots love it when an NFC team comes calling. New England has won seven consecutive games against NFC teams, with only Carolina making a game of it (32-29). The Patriots' other six wins during that streak all have been by 10 points or more.

New England was 4-0 against the NFC this season, averaging a fat 28.5 points per game. The Patriots last loss to an NFC team was in Week 4 of 2003 at Washington, the game before New England started its league-record 21-game winning streak.

On the flip side, Philly hasn't fared so well against AFC foes since 2002. The Eagles are 6-6 against the AFC in that span, compared to 31-5 (.861) against teams in their own conference. This season, Philadelphia was outscored 106-62 by its AFC opponents, splitting the four games.

Posted by: Davy (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 09:41AM

One final piece supporting Red Man's thesis from ESPN.com. I agree with Red Man...People really don't undersatnd how good this team is:

Cruise through past Super Bowls and you won't find too many seasons where the Weaker Conference Team prevailed against the Stronger Conference Team. This season was more skewed than most -- week after week, AFC teams were kicking the crap out of NFC teams. Here was the NFC's final record against the AFC ...

(Drumroll please ... )

20-44.

That's not a misprint.

Twenty-four games under .500! Just for kicks, the record of the six AFC playoff teams against the NFC was 21-3, and the record of the three 9-7 teams in the AFC (Buffalo, Jacksonville and Baltimore) against the NFC was 10-2. So you had nine teams with winning records in the AFC, and they finished a combined 31-5 against the NFC. Those aren't just stats, those are cries for help. Philly didn't just play in a weaker conference, it was a significantly weaker conference.

Compare their schedule against the Pats. Philly played one good team on the road -- Pittsburgh -- and got smoked. They beat four decent teams at home (Minnesota twice, Baltimore once, Green Bay once), and handled one good team (Atlanta) at home in the title game. And that was it. In nearly five months of football, they were only tested six times, five of those at home, and only twice by a team that could even be considered "good."

Now look at the Pats. In eighteen games, they beat one decent team (Baltimore) at home and two more (St. Louis and KC) on the road. They swept the home-and-homes with one good team (Buffalo) and one very good team (the Jets). They beat an excellent team (Indy) twice at home. They lost to the first 15-1 team in AFC history (Pittsburgh) on the road, then exacted revenge on them in the AFC Championship game. In nearly five months of football, they were tested a whopping 11 times, against some of the better teams in the league. Eight of those 11 games weren't even close. Only two of them came down to the final minute.

Just looking at those numbers, wouldn't you conclude that the Patriots are significantly more battle-prepared for this game than the Eagles? And before you make the "It's not Philly's fault that they played in the NFC" argument, that's not the point. They DID play in the NFC.

Date: February 05, 2005 04:15PM

Well, what more can I say? I guess you're all right; why even play the game? The Patriots are clearly the better team and the Eagles should just get on a plane back to Philly now. rolleyes yark

Give me a break. How about we look at the teams' records this season in games that mattered? The Eagles only lost one, to the Steelers (as you mentioned, the first 15-1 team in AFC history), a game in which Brian Westbrook barely played because he was hurt. The Patriots lost two, to the Steelers (ok, that's a push with the Eagles' loss), and to the Dolphins.

If the Dolphins can beat a team in a game in which the other team is trying, then any team can. Something about "any given Sunday."

Games aren't played on paper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2005 04:16PM by cornelldavy.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 05:36PM

[Q]cornelldavy Wrote:Games aren't played on paper.[/q]It would tear.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 06:20PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

cornelldavy Wrote:Games aren't played on paper.[/Q]
It would tear.
[/q]
Painful cuts, too.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 11:20PM

To answer the original question, they're pretty good :-)

Date: February 06, 2005 11:37PM

[Q]

Is there any doubt that they will dismantle the Eagles? [/q]

Yes. There is some doubt. :)

Seriously however, congrats to the Pats. They're a great team with a top notch organization. Hype aside, they now deserve to be spoken of in the same breath as the 70s Steelers and the 80s Niners.

And hey, there's always next year....

E-A-G-L-E-S. Go Eagles!

Posted by: Red Man (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 11:51PM

Props to the birds. To be honest I was suprised at the effort versus the Pats. Birds = 2nd best team in the NFL.

Date: February 07, 2005 05:46AM

Man...I really thought the Eagles were going to do it...they had the opportunity: a lead and the talent to hold on, but they beat themselves - too many mistakes against a team that plays nearly mistake-free football. Maybe - hopefully - we'll see a rematch next year. It better not be another 24-year wait before the next Eagles Super Bowl appearance.

cry

Date: February 07, 2005 08:23AM

[Q]cornelldavy Wrote:

Man...I really thought the Eagles were going to do it...they had the opportunity: a lead and the talent to hold on, but they beat themselves - too many mistakes against a team that plays nearly mistake-free football. Maybe - hopefully - we'll see a rematch next year. It better not be another 24-year wait before the next Eagles Super Bowl appearance.[/q]

Yeah, too many turnovers, and poor clock management in the 4th quarter, did them in ultimately.

Was the Eagles-Raider Super Bowl really 24 years ago? Damn, I'm old.

Date: February 07, 2005 09:34AM

McNabb is a good player but if he eliminated 1-2 poor decisions per game he would be a great player. Difference between McNabb and Brady is simply turnovers.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: February 07, 2005 09:59AM

[Q]Red Man Wrote:

McNabb is a good player but if he eliminated 1-2 poor decisions per game he would be a great player. Difference between McNabb and Brady is simply turnovers.[/q]

And the dozen or so passes into the ground and behind receivers, rather than hitting them in stride. But I guess that's just status quo with McNabb at this point.

Thank you, Patriots. Fly Eagles Fly? Nah...

[end Giants bias]

The Eagles definitely made it more of a game than I thought and hoped they would. I'm not sure who said it (maybe it was Boomer Esiason on the radio post-game), but he was dead on when he said this game showed the best of McNabb and the worst of McNabb. The TD throw of his back foot, threading 2 Patriots defenders, was pretty darn amazing. But then you have the INT's, the passes into the ground, throws just behind receivers that don't allow them to do anything after the catch, and he also has to share some blame in the most horrific display of time management (and that's saying a lot considering Herm Edwards is a head football coach) on their drive with 6 mins left.

I think McNabb showed why he is still "just" a very, very good quarterback, and not yet a great one. I'm sure he'll be back to the SB for another trip or 2, and this experience will only help him next time around.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 01:28PM

At the risk of revealing how obsessed I am, I actually thought of a way to bring some CU Hockey relevance to this thread. nut

Red Man's main argument struck a chord with me, and I couldn't quite put my finger on why my "bad logic" alarm was going off so loudly, and why I was so quick to discount it. If the 2002-2003 Cornell team taught the nation anything, it was to punch a hole in the myth that a championship-caliber team can't possibly emerge out of a weak conference. That seemed to be a big part of Red Man's argument here. Reading his posts seemed to echo Hockey East and WCHA fans' objections to taking Cornell as a serious contender. "The EZAC is weak and has a horrible non-conference record." "Teams from our conference are more battle-tested!" "If Cornell played in our conference, they'd be lucky to finish 5th."

Unfortunately for us (and Eagles fans), moral victories and respect can't be polished.

Date: February 07, 2005 01:33PM

I think this game also showed the Ken Jennings effect. It's a big deal to have been in the championship situation before (Jennings just got so comfortable on Jeapordy, and everyone else was so nervous no one could beat him for a long time). I thought McNabb looked really tight at times when he just couldn't get his passes anywhere near the reciever. And no doubt they really were lost at the end of the game (I think he thought it was still the 3rd quarter...). The Eagles showed they are a great team. The Pats showed they are better than great and that having the experience of being in the Superbowl really benefitted them.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login