Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Michigan State Signs

Posted by atb9 
Michigan State Signs
Posted by: atb9 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 05:09PM

Here's some material if you've got a sick sense of humor like me

[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]

Re: Michigan State Signs
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 10, 2004 07:32PM

And the Pep Band just added the funk classic "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" to our folder!

I wish we had money so we could go :`(

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 07:49PM

"michigan rejects" is always a great sign. worked well for ohio state

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 08:11PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

And the Pep Band just added the funk classic "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" to our folder!

I wish we had money so we could go [/q]

I still say we should have played that for Army! We would have pushed the envelope of offensiveness where no pepband has gone before.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: November 10, 2004 09:50PM

At Western Michigan a couple of years ago, we determined that WMU is the safety school for people who go to the safety school of people who don't get into Cornell. screwy

That wouldn't work on a sign though.

(Yes, I can explain that if it doesn't make any sense.)

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 11:16PM

Lemme see if I got this--

WMU is a safety school for those who apply to our safety schools? So you're basically saying it's like Tee Hee Hee... er, Harvard on the Hill.. er, I mean TC3?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 12:39AM

Hmm. I suppose you could say that the point was that WMU is like the Michigan equivalent of TC3.

I mean, not REALLY, being that it's a I-A school and all, but you get the idea. ;-)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 08:08AM

I assume "The Victors" is in the line-up?

Posted by: Sam (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 08:16AM

That would be great, playing "Hail to the Victors" ... maybe everytime they try their fight song? How offensive.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 11:44AM

I almost suggested Victors, but then I remembered that I HATE THAT SONG! Or at least the Michigan band for playing it at just about every stoppage of play...

Date: November 11, 2004 12:08PM

I hate it, too. And you can be sure they hate it in E. Lansing. All the more reason to play it.

AS I recall, the band played it at one of the many Ohio State games in the past.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 01:19PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

I assume "The Victors" is in the line-up?[/q]
While it is totally our style to do so, I'm thinking that all this will do is add to the Munn perception of Lynah Faithful as just being people who stole all our chants and cheers from Yost, rather than vice-versa.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.pac.mannlib.cornell.edu)
Date: November 11, 2004 01:23PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

I hate it, too. And you can be sure they hate it in E. Lansing. All the more reason to play it.

AS I recall, the band played it at one of the many Ohio State games in the past.[/q]

The same day Ohio State had lost to Michigan in football in fact :)

Too bad they beat us that night... uhoh

Date: November 11, 2004 05:45PM

And as long as we win the games, we care what they think?

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 08:14PM

It was 25 years ago, when Penn was being blown out by Michigan State and Magic Johnson in the NCAA semis, that the Penn crowd started up the cheer, "That's all right, that's okay, you're going to work for us some day."

The Cornell cheers and signs should be literate not boorish. From those to whom so much is given, so much is expected ... and all that.

Most people at MSU are thinking "Ivy League assholes" no matter what.

Why not unfurl a sign of famous Big Red hockey alumni with hockey *and* non-hockey successes:

"Hello from Cornell Hockey:
K Dryden '69 - Parliament
J Hughes '70 - Gold medal father
G Bettman '74 - NHL Commish
J Nieuwendyk - 3 Stanley Cups
Etcetera "

Cornell didn't do so good in 1974, so maybe MSU will think Bettman was the backup goalie. Well, intramurals is close enough.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2004 08:15PM by billhoward.

Date: November 11, 2004 08:31PM

One might note MSU doesn't care about hockey vs. basketball, which is, what, ranked #15? The MSU student paper has a freshman covering varsity hockey - must not be a lot of competition for the job, or else the kid's really good.

OTOH it's hard to say nobody cares if all 6,000 seats are filled.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.wdc2-4.28.161.61.wdc2.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 01:02AM

Agreed, that's EXACTLY what they'll think, particularly if the Pep Band plays the Victors. The "Michigan rejects" sign will push buttons, though. A lot of MSU folks have a huge chip on their shoulders about U of M. There's a strong intra-state rivalry between the two, in that people in southeastern Michigan tend to be Michigan fans, and folks in other parts of the state are more inclined to be MSU fans. However, U of M fans tend to see MSU as a secondary rival, after Ohio State, which irks Spartans even more. Add to that the recent football outcome - Michigan won 45-37 in the third overtime after trailing 27-10 with 8 minutes to go in regulation - and there are some raw nerves in East Lansing.

A few factoids that may be useful:

Lansing, Michigan was settled by pioneers from Lansing, New York. No joke. Let's settle what the proper orbit is here.

Based on what I've been told by a few MSU friends and co-workers, they regard their campus as the -- cough, cough -- most beautiful in America and claim to have the best hotel and restaurant management school in the country. ("You're Number 2?";)

You won't be able to use some of the usual Michigan annoyances, such as the Moo U cheer, obviously, but I have great faith in the creativity of the Lynah Faithful road show. Wish I could be there. LGR, beat MSU.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 12:02PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:
and claim to have the best hotel and restaurant management school in the country. ("You're Number 2?";)[/q]
Umm...try #3 at best. I think UNLV has something to say about that as well. Almost bizarro-world to be envied for the hotel school, rather than mocked.

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Most people at MSU are thinking "Ivy League assholes" no matter what. [/q]
It seems most people can name at most 3 Ivy schools anyway, so I'm not too concerned about that reaction. Judging by the reaction we got when we went to Yost in '97, we'll get "Hey...where the hell is Cornell?? Isn't that in Iowa?"
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2004 12:06PM by RichH.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: November 12, 2004 05:02PM

[Q]Sam Wrote:

That would be great, playing "Hail to the Victors" ... maybe everytime they try their fight song? How offensive.[/q]

How about we don't play over their fight song. What are we, Colgate?
rolleyes

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: November 12, 2004 05:13PM

How about it's a moot point since our band will not be there.

Date: November 12, 2004 05:49PM

So I don't know if this happens much now, but it was de rigeur for the abridged version of the Big Red Marching Band to appear at every away game. Sometimes it was one trumpet and a cowbell, but that was enough to lead the charge, play Davey, and do the alma mater. Hard to say if the trumpet or cowbell is more important. I guess one guy could do both.

Maybe Schafer should make sure the third goalie has a minor in music.

Posted by: Pace (---)
Date: November 13, 2004 11:28AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Maybe Schafer should make sure the third goalie has a minor in music. [/q]

Now now, Bill. Then who would help the equipment manager? Hand the guys towels? Refill their water bottles? Chabot is crucial to the team, I tell you, crucial...

Date: November 14, 2004 05:33AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

So I don't know if this happens much now, but it was de rigeur for the abridged version of the Big Red Marching Band to appear at every away game. Sometimes it was one trumpet and a cowbell, but that was enough to lead the charge, play Davey, and do the alma mater. Hard to say if the trumpet or cowbell is more important. I guess one guy could do both. [/q]

Ew. Do you really want a Cornell version of that one guy with the trumpet from Clarkson who showed up to the quarterfinals last season?

The pepband recently may or may not have gotten reamed out by their advisory council for taking too many roadtrips.

Date: November 14, 2004 07:19AM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

Ew. Do you really want a Cornell version of that one guy with the trumpet from Clarkson who showed up to the quarterfinals last season?

The pepband recently may or may not have gotten reamed out by their advisory council for taking too many roadtrips.[/q]

The pep band gets reamed out for supporting the teams at sporting events? Am I missing some part of the equation here?

Oh, wait, the advisory person figures that all those road trips are bad for academics. Well how about sending a rotating five-person Pep Band Lite? How about recruiting alumni band members from Michigan, from Boston, from Florida? (The Florida trip can't affect academics.)

But even two trumpets and the cowbell is pretty good. Agreed, one trumpet, solo, looks like it could be a lone ranger. Two or more suggests some kind of organizational plan. Can you major in cowbell, by the way?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 11:33AM

[/q]

I vote for five trombones and a french horn.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 11:41AM

something tells me academics is seldom a primary concern when it comes to those reaming out the pep band

Date: November 14, 2004 02:02PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Section A Banshee Wrote:

The pepband recently may or may not have gotten reamed out by their advisory council for taking too many roadtrips.[/Q]
The pep band gets reamed out for supporting the teams at sporting events? Am I missing some part of the equation here? [/q]
Yes, and that part of the equation is a four figure cost for a bus. There's a line in the insurance agreement that stipulates the pepband cannot travel any other way, and that probably extends to a small group of people representing the pepband as well.

Date: November 14, 2004 04:34PM

billhoward Wrote:

Section A Banshee Wrote:

The pepband recently may or may not have gotten reamed out by their advisory council for taking too many roadtrips.[/Q]
The pep band gets reamed out for supporting the teams at sporting events? Am I missing some part of the equation here? [/Q]
Yes, and that part of the equation is a four figure cost for a bus. There's a line in the insurance agreement that stipulates the pepband cannot travel any other way, and that probably extends to a small group of people representing the pepband as well.[/q]

You're saying bean-counting is alive and well in academia ...? <g> Cornell must be scared that if four band members travel by private auto and get in an accident, then liabity accrues to Cornell, as opposed to it being your own fault for drivinig in a poorly maintained car, or being a lousy driver. There must be some liability opt-out if Cornell wanted to really work at it. But I suspect Cornell figures it has bigger fish to fry.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 04:43PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Section A Banshee Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Section A Banshee Wrote:

The pep band gets reamed out for supporting the teams at sporting events? Am I missing some part of the equation here? [/Q]
Yes, and that part of the equation is a four figure cost for a bus. There's a line in the insurance agreement that stipulates the pepband cannot travel any other way, and that probably extends to a small group of people representing the pepband as well.[/Q]
You're saying bean-counting is alive and well in academia ...? <g> Cornell must be scared that if four band members travel by private auto and get in an accident, then liabity accrues to Cornell, as opposed to it being your own fault for drivinig in a poorly maintained car, or being a lousy driver. There must be some liability opt-out if Cornell wanted to really work at it. But I suspect Cornell figures it has bigger fish to fry. [/q]

I'd wager that the issue was partly them killing or maiming themselves, but even more the possibility of them killing or maiming a whole busload of other people. Those people's survivors aren't going to care that the students said that they would be responsible for any damages; they're going to go after the deep pocket.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 05:51PM

Academics are the concern of the individual members of the band, and they do a pretty good job of determining what they can and cannot do.

While the number of games there is Pep Band representation at has definitely increased in recent years - and this is a very, very GOOD thing - if you think these has been a cadre of musicians at every single away hockey game for any era of recent memory, you're wrong.

The students (and alumni) work hard to make the band better every year and increase it's presence. People on either side may be offended when you make uninformed, incorrect statements. And they read this forum. And you come across as a cynical jerk.

Of course, this is all moot. Being a realist, the answer is of course money. If you'd like to make an annual gift to the Big Red Pep Band, it would be GREATLY appreciated by many people. You can fill in "Big Red Pep Band" (not just "Big Red Band";) on any gift card you receive from Cornell.

Date: November 14, 2004 06:13PM

I check off Big Red Pep band on my Cornell Fund card and make it for $500, Cornell is going to deduct $500 from whatever it was planning to give the pep band otherwise. Call me a cynic.

The only way the pep band would see extra money is if Cornell had plans to lay $10,000 on the pep band in the next year and concerned alumni designate $11,000, then Cornell is sort of stuck forking over eleven large.

Date: November 14, 2004 06:29PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

I check off Big Red Pep band on my Cornell Fund card and make it for $500, Cornell is going to deduct $500 from whatever it was planning to give the pep band otherwise. Call me a cynic.

The only way the pep band would see extra money is if Cornell had plans to lay $10,000 on the pep band in the next year and concerned alumni designate $11,000, then Cornell is sort of stuck forking over eleven large. [/q]

I would like to clear up a couple issues:

1. We never have been able to go to all the roadtrips. We don't have enough money to do so. Occasionally a view people may bring horns, but they hardly constitute a Pep Band and sometimes are not/were not members of the Pep Band.

2. "Cornell" does not give us any money (that includes Athletics). We get approximately half of our funds from the SAFC. The rest come from gifts and other income (CDs and such). The SAFC follows a formula in allocating funds, and the Pep Band's current account status does not have significant play in those formulas.

3. The Pep Band is not the Marching Band, although the groups share many members. The only sporting event the Marching Band goes to is Football. If you see a band at any other sporting event, it is the Pep Band.

If you have any further questions/concerns please email me.

Grant '05
2004 Pep Band Manager
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2008 02:35PM by Tub(a).

Date: November 14, 2004 07:00PM

Sounds as if the Pep Band is doing a lot with a little money. And whatever musicans showed up last spring at the Cornell at Princeton lacrosse game, and there were a lot of them, they were much appreciated, and a lot louder than the Princeton Tiger No Show No March No Pep Band.

Not to quibble when you say no money comes from Cornell, only from SAFC (Student Assembly Finance Commission), but doesn't SAFC money come from Cornell or from money Cornell tells students to pay as activities fees?

Date: November 14, 2004 07:09PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Sounds as if the Pep Band is doing a lot with a little money. And whatever musicans showed up last spring at the Cornell at Princeton lacrosse game, and there were a lot of them, they were much appreciated, and a lot louder than the Princeton Tiger No Show No March No Pep Band.

Not to quibble when you say no money comes from Cornell, only from SAFC (Student Assembly Finance Commission), but doesn't SAFC money come from Cornell or from money Cornell tells students to pay as activities fees? [/q]

It comes from the Student Activity Fee, but is allocated by students. They don't take gifts into account when allocating funds (unless there is an endowment or large amount of money in the account, which the Pep Band doesn't have) so your donation (or any others) does not affect the amount that the Pep Band gets from the SAFC unless the donation is large enough to start an endowment or greatly increase our account balance.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 15, 2004 02:09AM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

3. The Pep Band is not the Marching Band, although the groups share many members. The only sporting event the Marching Band goes to is Football. If you see a band at any other sporting event, it is the Pep Band.

[/q]

Yeah, and Pep Band's much more fun. And it's the only group for which a certain arrangement of a certain Steve Miller Band song was intended. And five bones and a french horn (or was it a marching baritone?) can sound good or bad, depending on how incompetent the arrangement of Alma is.

To quibble, don't we receive money from athletics, in a sense, as hockey tickets? I always liked getting paid to go to hockey games.

And it's time for an endowment, and a dedicated luxury bus with kegerator, and for Cornell athletics to get off the backs of dedicated bandies that want to follow the team when the money isn't there. Bastards.

PS The MSU band's arrangements, save Everybody's Everything, were pathetically square. The All-Funk, All-The-Time CUPB would put their canned spirit to shame. "That cheer sucks!"

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 09:42AM

How much does a roadtrip cost for the pep band? I'll guess:

$1500 for the bus
50 members / 4 per room * 2 nights * $80 per night = $2000 for hotels

Total = $3500.

Some of the trips probably are only one night, but there will be other incidentals that I left out, and some hotels will be more than $80, so that's probably a decent ballpark average.

With 7 away weekends (including Florida but not including @ Colgate), that's $24,500 per year to hit all the away weekends. Oh - forgot playoffs. Let's call it an even $30Gs.

So 30,000/.04 = $750,000 endowment to ensure that the band can go to all away games (assuming that they lose their SAFC funding because they'd have a large endowment). Maybe if I have that much left when I die, it'll become the "Robb W. Newman '94 Traveling Pep Band." :)

Date: November 16, 2004 11:11AM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

How much does a roadtrip cost for the pep band? I'll guess:

$1500 for the bus
50 members / 4 per room * 2 nights * $80 per night = $2000 for hotels

Total = $3500.

Some of the trips probably are only one night, but there will be other incidentals that I left out, and some hotels will be more than $80, so that's probably a decent ballpark average.

With 7 away weekends (including Florida but not including @ Colgate), that's $24,500 per year to hit all the away weekends. Oh - forgot playoffs. Let's call it an even $30Gs.

So 30,000/.04 = $750,000 endowment to ensure that the band can go to all away games (assuming that they lose their SAFC funding because they'd have a large endowment). Maybe if I have that much left when I die, it'll become the "Robb W. Newman '94 Traveling Pep Band."

[/q]
Traveling on the Scott Southard '97 Luxury Pep Band Bus :-D

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: November 16, 2004 10:57PM

Wait - if you give them a bus, then they only need $2k per trip, so the endowment would only need to be $350k. Now we're starting to talk reasonable numbers... Hang in there another 60 years, BRPB, and you'll get yours!

:)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login