Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Grade Inflation

Posted by A-19 
Grade Inflation
Posted by: A-19 (---.harvard.edu)
Date: November 08, 2004 01:16PM

I am disturbed yet unsurprised to report to you from my personal experience that grade inflation is alive and well at Harvard graduate school. Though I do not have the actual distribution of scores in all cases, take a look at the assignment of letter grades based on the Dean's recommended grade distribution:

ECON (out of 90)
A (15 percent): >=81 points
A- (25 percent): >=73 and < 81
B+ (35 percent): >=61 and <73
B (20 percent): >=39 & <61
Less than B: (5 percent): <39 points
Mean: 67.4 (out of 90 points)
Median: 68.5
Final course grades also curved.
*What does "less than a B" mean? B-? C?
*Why do 95% of students receive a B or greater?

BUDGETS (out of 100)
97 -100 A
90 - 96 A-
78 - 89 B+
65 - 77 B
50 - 64 B-
40 - 49 C+
20 - 39 C
*How is a 20/100 a C?

STATS (out of 80)
70-80 A
60-69 A-
50-59 B+
36-49 B
30-35 B-
20-30 C
Mean = 53, Median = 56, St.Dev. = 13
*And the test was an embarrassment to higher education.
*Knowing that ~95% of people fall within 3 standard deviations of the mean...

As a result, it's pretty clear that the school wants to prevent job differentiation by grades. Given that the school will not change its goal (a whole different beef of mine), I am working with several students to move towards a high pass-pass-fail system in order to improve the education system here just a little bit.

-Mike '04

Re: Grade Inflation
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 08, 2004 01:57PM

From my experience in grad school (at Cornell) and talking with others it seems that this is a common thing in graduate schools. Everyone is expected to get A's and B's. The assumption is that everyone in graduate programs are top students and should be earning good grades. A C is pretty much equivalent to academic probation. Contrast this to undergrad at Cornell where the mean student gets a B- or C+ in many classes.

In general I don't have a problem with this. Especially when you remember that grad school grades aren't really all that important - the degree will carry more weight than the GPA.

BTW - I'm talking about MS/PhD programs. I don't have much experience with professional grad programs (MBA, MD, JD).

Posted by: beanmaestro (---.ece.ucsb.edu)
Date: November 08, 2004 03:41PM

Most of the grad schools I'm familiar with run on a similar (or easier) scale. Frankly, a low B+ average is fairly harsh if the program requires a 3.3 (as did mine) or 3.5 (as did my wife's) average to complete the Ph.D. UC Santa Barbara's ECE Department has one professor who insists on grading grad classes on a C average, and it completely fouls up the system. They'd do something about it, but he founded the department, is a Nobel laureate, and is almost retired anyway...

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: November 08, 2004 03:56PM

If you get a solid "B" in graduate school, they are telling you to find another line of work. This is not restricted to Harvard by any means.

Having said which... Harvard still sucks.

Posted by: ugarte (66.28.14.---)
Date: November 09, 2004 02:59PM

A lot of grants and scholarships are tied to maintaining a GPA above B. A B- in grad school is like failing.

Posted by: Shorts (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 08:58AM

As I've been looking for jobs in Engineering, a lot of companies list in the "Qualifications" section a minimum GPA of 3.0 for BS candidates, or 3.5 for Masters candidates. I'd been wondering why someone with more education would also need a higher GPA. I guess that explains it.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 03:20PM

it appears that grade inflation has found its way to cornell [gasp!]. see this unfortunate news tidbit from the atlantic (go to the middle of the page):

[www.theatlantic.com]

according to the authors of the study, apparently it's the students themselves who are inflating their grades by deliberatively choosing 'easy' or 'easier' classes.

anyway, harvard still sucks.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 08, 2005 04:47PM

[Q]min Wrote:

According to the authors of the study, apparently it's the students themselves who are inflating their grades by deliberatively choosing 'easy' or 'easier' classes.

[/q]

And this is a surprise? I took as many intro courses as I could over my four years, and the 200 level courses I took were all ones that were known to be somewhat easier than most. I figured it was the least Cornell could do for suffering four years in ChemE.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 07:30PM

If you give an undergrad a "C," you'll be sued by his parents. If you flunk him, you'll be put to death by your own Dean.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 08:57PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

min Wrote:

According to the authors of the study, apparently it's the students themselves who are inflating their grades by deliberatively choosing 'easy' or 'easier' classes.

[/Q]
And this is a surprise? I took as many intro courses as I could over my four years, and the 200 level courses I took were all ones that were known to be somewhat easier than most. I figured it was the least Cornell could do for suffering four years in ChemE.
[/q]

I took one 400-level Old English course to satisfy a distribution requirement and another as an elective. And a 400-level Germanic Linguistics course for another distribution requirement. The way I see it, you should get more out of an Ivy League education than just an Ivy League diploma.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 09:02PM

When I wasn an undergrad, I took an 800-level Olde English course. Repeatedly.

I don't think it helped my GPA, though.

Posted by: dsr11 (38.117.250.---)
Date: June 08, 2005 10:51PM

I'm getting an MBA at NYU Stern right now, and you really have to work to get less than a B. The one exception is any Finance class, but even then, only the bottom 15% of the class gets less than a B-. For everything else, if you hand in papers and show up for exams, you will get a B. If you answer questions on the exams and put a little effort into the papers, you'll get a B+. If you suck up to the prof and devote your entire life to the class, you can get an A or A-.

So yeah, grade inflation is alive and well in grad school, especially business schools. Also, at least with business schools, employers often pay (mine is) and require a minimum GPA (usually a 3.0). If a school gives less than that, they are risking losing $100k in revenue.

I know one prof at NYU who asks who, at the beginning of the term, asks who is graduating. Everyone that is graduating gets an A- automatically. Gotta love it. The place is called "B" school for a reason :-)

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 11:09PM

Nice, Alex. I took that class too, but with Prof. Mad Dog.

My personal pet peeve was that it's apparently impossible to get below an A-/B+ in creative writing classes because people think good writing is "subjective." We don't have to get into a detailed discussion as to why this is a load of crap, but it is. We may like to read about different things, but aside from oh, I don't know, proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation, there are other non-negotiables like plot and character development, sense of story, tension, realistic dialogue, voice, etc.
Writing well is as hard to do as anything else, and there's no reason creative writing classes should be graded as though that isn't true.

Date: June 08, 2005 11:35PM

Creative writing and my freshman writing seminar in Comp Lit were the two courses where I was surprised to get a grade as high as A-. Maybe there was already something fishy going on fifteen years ago.

In retrospect I wish I hadn't taken English 281, since then I would have fulfilled my Humanities distribution requirement entirely at the 400 level. Of course, as it turns out I get to say I took Beowulf as an elective. B-]

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 11:50PM

Yes, but you missed out on the Heaney translation of Beowulf, which is really wonderful. My senior year I got really meta when I combined both of my English concentrations in a short story I wrote called "Occupational Hazard," where the protaganist's ultimate triumph is spurred on by reading Beowulf at her brother's urging. The siblings are both hockey players, so that even metas in with this board. Ooooooh.

That preceding paragraph? I've never been dorkier in my entire life.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2005 08:28AM

[Q]cornelldavy Wrote:
When I wasn an undergrad, I took an 800-level Olde English course. Repeatedly.

I don't think it helped my GPA, though.[/q]That post was AWESOME. :-D

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2005 08:29AM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:
My personal pet peeve was that it's apparently impossible to get below an A-/B+ in creative writing classes because people think good writing is "subjective." We don't have to get into a detailed discussion as to why this is a load of crap, but it is. We may like to read about different things, but aside from oh, I don't know, proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation, there are other non-negotiables like plot and character development, sense of story, tension, realistic dialogue, voice, etc.
Writing well is as hard to do as anything else, and there's no reason creative writing classes should be graded as though that isn't true.[/q]Maybe they mark you down if you plagiarize? Sorta takes away from the "creative" aspect.

Date: June 09, 2005 08:46AM

Well, I learned a lot in "Introduction to Wine and Spirits", a.k.a. Wednesday Afternoon Winetasting, that has actually been of use in my career. :-P

Got to admit that certain courses were a total waste (Econ 101 & 102, Urban Affairs Lab). Others were actually quite interesting (Psych 101, Modern American History). There was actually a 600 level ChemE course on Air Pollution I would have liked to take, but the prof who normally taught it was off campus that year.

Date: June 09, 2005 09:21AM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

Yes, but you missed out on the Heaney translation of Beowulf, which is really wonderful.[/q]

We didn't use a translation. :-P

I had originally intended only to take the first semester to finish off the English requirement, but the late [www.mun.ca] Bob Farrell's Old English course was so much fun, I had to sign up for Beowulf.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: June 09, 2005 11:06AM

JTW-
We didn't use a translation either. The Heaney version was merely suggested reading. I hope you know how lucky you were not to have Farrell in what would literally turn out to be his last years of teaching. He tended to nod off more and more frequently between his flashes of wit and brilliance.

JMH-
Well...plagiarism is a hard one, because compelling themes (love, loss, struggle, etc.) are pretty universal as it is. Most less than mediocre stories were just thinly veiled autobiographical accounts anyway. And as one becomes a better writer, one becomes better at applying a thicker veil to one's autobiographical accounts. The requests from one's friends to be story characters also increases.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: June 09, 2005 03:38PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

min Wrote:

[/Q]

[/q]It is a pretty cool study, even if it isn't surprising. I love the idea that an obscure class surged in popularity as soon as it became common knowledge that the prof is a pushover.

Another interesting conclusion: students with higher SAT scores were less sensitive to the news about easy classes. Confidence, academic rigor or pinheads?

Hwaet
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: June 09, 2005 03:49PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

JTW-
We didn't use a translation either. The Heaney version was merely suggested reading. I hope you know how lucky you were not to have Farrell in what would literally turn out to be his last years of teaching. He tended to nod off more and more frequently between his flashes of wit and brilliance.[/q]

That's a pity. He was a little scatterbrained even back in 1990, but the "cocktail party" tidbits he threw out added to the fun of the class. I guess I'd say I was lucky to have him earlier in his career.

I have a friend who in high school used to make stick-figure comic books (he's a playwright now) and I made a few mock-ups for a version of Beowulf in that style. I think Prof. Farrell (who was to appear as a narrator and commentator) was the only character besides Grendel and his mother who got a body.

The Heaney translation comes in one of those editions with the original on the facing page Loeb Classical Library style, right? (I still haven't gotten around to getting a copy.) What I could really have used for that course was a workbook-style edition of the text, triple-spaced to allow room to add a scansion and gloss. I spent a lot of time copying Old English poetry out into notebooks to produce such a thing myself, but now one can find an electronic copy online and print it out triple-spaced after a few global-replaces on the HTML in a text editor.

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

JMH-
Well...plagiarism is a hard one, because compelling themes (love, loss, struggle, etc.) are pretty universal as it is. Most less than mediocre stories were just thinly veiled autobiographical accounts anyway. And as one becomes a better writer, one becomes better at applying a thicker veil to one's autobiographical accounts. The requests from one's friends to be story characters also increases.[/q]

I know from even a few attempts at creative writing that accidental plagiarism is also a danger. You read a turn of phrase that catches your fancy, it rattles around in the back of your brain, and seems apt for a bit of narrative you're writing, and by that point you've forgotten how it got in your head in the first place. It's usually sufficiently modified to be merely derivative, though.

Posted by: jy3 (---.kaleidahealth.org)
Date: June 14, 2005 01:24PM

1st grade inflation, now hahvahd is doctoring newspaper pictures and trying to alter the past ;)

[www.cnn.com]

Date: June 14, 2005 05:41PM

Why not? They've had mysterious fires in the records department in response to geneder bias lawsuits. This is nothing in comparison

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.178.---)
Date: June 16, 2005 09:23AM

[seattletimes.nwsource.com]

One high school — 44 valedictorians

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 03:15AM

more anecdotal evidence about the grade inflation phenomenon, this time from a part-time instructor and a parent...

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: likeshockey (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 07:10AM

Grade inflation, let's talk about real estate inflation. The average apartment in nyc now is $1 million dollar. Maybe the two are tied together somehow and we have Alan Greenspan to thank because of the easy money.

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.179.---)
Date: June 17, 2005 09:41AM

[Q]likeshockey Wrote:
Grade inflation, let's talk about real estate inflation. The average apartment in nyc now is $1 million dollar. Maybe the two are tied together somehow and we have Alan Greenspan to thank because of the easy money.[/q]

That's only if you insist on luxuries like two rooms or closet space for more than one person. You can still get a studio for about $300,000 and a small one bedroom for half a million. Really, who needs four burners on a stove when two will do? It's just taking up space in your living room.

Also, don't forget to thank the Asian central bankers for buying US Treasuries. And Greenspan should have raised rates in 1998.

Posted by: Ken '70 (---.town.ipswich.ma.us)
Date: June 20, 2005 03:31PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Another interesting conclusion: students with higher SAT scores were less sensitive to the news about easy classes. Confidence, academic rigor or pinheads?[/q]

If you can run a mile in 5 minutes you don't worry so much about the difference between phys ed. classes that require a mile in 6 minutes versus 7 minutes. High SATs mean higher cognitive ability means the freedom to take what you want rather than worrying about easier courses.

The writers noted something to the effect that Cornell showed great naivete when it came to human nature. That's correct to the extent that not believing in human nature in the first place is being naive about it.

Anyone know what the honors distribution is at Cornell? My daughter just graduated from Duke where it's top 5% summa, next 10% magna, then next 10% cum laude. Far cry from Hahvahd's 91%.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 03:49PM

When I graduated in '94, the engineering college's policy was that a GPA >= 3.25 was "with distinction," and everyone else was "with diploma." There was no strict percentage on it. Of course, given that most classes were curved to a B- or so, you could probably estimate that the percentage of "with distinction" grads would be in the 15-20% range.

I don't think that applied to other colleges at the time (didn't the A&S college have those honors thesis thingys?) and may not apply to engineering anymore.

Posted by: littleredfan (170.148.92.---)
Date: June 20, 2005 05:11PM

most (if not all) majors in the arts college doesn't have a fixed latin honors distribution. you would need to write a thesis to get latin honors. if no one writes one, theoretically no one graduates with latin honors...

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.okinawa.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: June 20, 2005 09:03PM

[Q]littleredfan Wrote:

most (if not all) majors in the arts college doesn't have a fixed latin honors distribution. you would need to write a thesis to get latin honors. if no one writes one, theoretically no one graduates with latin honors...[/q]

When I graduated Astronomy must have done honors based on grades, since no one mentioned the idea of writing a thesis and I still got them. Of course that year 100% of the Astronomy graduating class was summa cum laude. ;-)

Date: June 21, 2005 07:59AM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

When I graduated in '94, the engineering college's policy was that a GPA >= 3.25 was "with distinction," and everyone else was "with diploma." There was no strict percentage on it. Of course, given that most classes were curved to a B- or so, you could probably estimate that the percentage of "with distinction" grads would be in the 15-20% range. [/q]

When I graduated, "With distinction" in the Engineering College was > 3.5. I know for sure because I just made the cut and they had to mail my diploma to me instead of giving it to me at the post-graduation reception. Word had it they curved to a C+/B- during the year and slightly higher during co-op summer to offset the fact that the co-op's were the top half of the class (thouigh one prof refused to do that). I never took stats, so I don't know the percentages, but I'd guess less than 10% were "With distinction."

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 08:39AM

You couldn't tell the pct above the "with distinction" line from the mean alone, anyway; you also need the measure of dispersion about the mean (i.e., standard deviation).

You could tell if the grading was to a strict normal curve, but that's such an artificial construct that I doubt any department, even an Engineering department, would be misguided enough to conflate it with reality.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2005 09:19AM

I believe chemistry actually has 2 systems. There is one that is grade based, and then you can write a thesis for honors.

Latin Honors
Posted by: Ken '70 (---.town.ipswich.ma.us)
Date: June 21, 2005 10:48AM

Answering my own question:

[ezra.cornell.edu] (question #3)

Also:

[www.cals.cornell.edu]

[ezra.cornell.edu]

[ezra.cornell.edu]

So similar to Duke in percentages, but not methodology, Cornell being more prone to the effects of grade inflation on honors inflation.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: June 21, 2005 02:09PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

I believe chemistry actually has 2 systems. There is one that is grade based, and then you can write a thesis for honors. [/q]

The math department is like this. I got magna cum laude from Arts because of GPA, but math gives "honors" for taking the honors seminar and (I believe) "high honors" for writing a thesis, the latter of which I was too lazy to do.

Not sure what "with distinction" means, but evidently I got that in "all subjects" so it's probably some college-wide thing.

(Not tooting my own horn or anything, just providing my limited perspective. There's a lot of shit on my diploma, partly because I spent too much time working in college, and partly because it's basically toilet paper this long out of school...)

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 22, 2005 10:18AM

Oops - you're right, Jeff. It was 3.5 in 1994, too. We didn't get off that easily...

Date: June 22, 2005 04:57PM

Thanks, Robb. Nice to know standards haven't dropped. :-D

Re: Kiev
Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: July 03, 2006 01:28AM

Hero
Very good site! I like it! Thanks! <A href="http:">.</A> .

I'm glad the robot likes it.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2006 08:58AM by jtwcornell91.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login