Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

the loss of the cha inevitable?

Posted by jy3 
the loss of the cha inevitable?
Posted by: jy3 (---.courts.state.ny.us)
Date: April 25, 2006 09:56AM

[www.uscho.com]

it will be interesting how this pans out. curious what everyone thinks about the possibility of the cha folding if they do not gain a 6th member

Re: the loss of the cha inevitable?
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 25, 2006 10:40AM

Here's an idea. And one I think is better than anything mentioned in that article. How about splitting the AHA? AHA East & West (I suppose they Atlantic Hockey West doesn't make any sense, but you get the idea). Send Mercyhurst, Canisius, and RIT west, they're pretty darn far from most the AHA anyway (relatively).

Then you'd have a 6th conference of:
Bemidji, Canisius, Mercyhurst, Niagra, RIT, RMU, UAH, Wayne State

And MC, Niagra, RIT, and Canisuis are natural rivals. MC and WSU or MC and RMU ain't bad either.

Other than the 'natural misfits' of UAH and Bemidji (other than in the WCHA for BSU), that's a fairly logical conference, spanning Rochester to Detroit and down to Pittsburgh, and is big enough to avoid being on the edge.

Atlantic Hockey could stay:
AIC, Air Force, Army, Bentley, Conn, HC, SHU & potentially Navy.

That's a little closer to the edge, but also cuts travel costs considerably. And I bet it'd be a lot easier to find a team to join that league (any of the dozens of New England D-III schools, or URI) than to get a team to join a western league.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 11:17AM

DeltaOne81
Here's an idea. And one I think is better than anything mentioned in that article.
Gets my vote, Fred. And I nominate YOU for commissioner! Makes too much sense for someone actually to do it.

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: April 25, 2006 01:38PM

DeltaOne81
Here's an idea.

Then you'd have a 6th conference of:
Bemidji, Canisius, Mercyhurst, Niagra, RIT, RMU, UAH, Wayne State

Atlantic Hockey could stay:
AIC, Air Force, Army, Bentley, Conn, HC, SHU & potentially Navy.
So would both of these be limited-scholarship, "cost containment" leagues? I can never, ever see Bemidji going for that. Their long term plan must be to join the WCHA, so I can't imagine them taking a step back from that goal. Nor Niagara, for that matter. OTOH, RIT will never be allowed to offer scholarships (unless they wholesale upgrade to D-1 or D-2), so I can't see them wanting to be in a league with "powerhouse" schools like Niagara/BSU who offer a full complement of scholarships.

That's the fundamental problem: geography clashes with philosophy. There aren't enough like-minded schools close enough to each other to form a viable league.

Posted by: jy3 (---.courts.state.ny.us)
Date: April 25, 2006 01:44PM

maybe, though, for the benefit of all those teams, joining in a league even though u have different philosophies is the way to go. compromise may be better than making a decision for a team that doesn't exist.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 25, 2006 01:57PM

If BSU wants into the WCHA, why don't they just join today? I'd think the league would love another natural rival for the Minny schools, and though Bemidji would get hammered for a few years, they would find it much easier to recruit with the WCHA logo on the sweater.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 25, 2006 03:14PM

Trotsky
If BSU wants into the WCHA, why don't they just join today? I'd think the league would love another natural rival for the Minny schools, and though Bemidji would get hammered for a few years, they would find it much easier to recruit with the WCHA logo on the sweater.
I'd imagine that BSU has asked the WCHA many times for admission and must've been turned down. Having an odd number of teams (11) is usually bad for a conference, but would be easier to handle for a league like the WCHA where there no travel partners and there are already weeks where teams are idle mid season. Total number of conference games would be more of a concern - NC games are already limited. The league also might be hesitant to disrupt their playoff system. With eleven you either have some set of byes or you leave the 11th place team hom. Then if you're not taking everyone it's hard to justify the (awful) Final Five format, which they seem to be wedded to.

Date: April 25, 2006 03:26PM

Robb
That's the fundamental problem: geography clashes with philosophy. There aren't enough like-minded schools close enough to each other to form a viable league.
Dunno. The ECAC seems to work with six scholarship schools and six purists. Note that three of the latter played for the championship in Albany this year.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: April 25, 2006 03:31PM

Al DeFlorio
Robb
Dunno. The ECAC seems to work with six scholarship schools and six purists.

Actually, it's five and seven. Although it used to be three and nine not too long ago.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 25, 2006 03:59PM

jtwcornell91
Actually, it's five and seven. Although it used to be three and nine not too long ago.
Thanks. Keep forgetting Union still does it right.

Date: April 25, 2006 04:23PM

Al DeFlorio
Robb
Dunno. The ECAC seems to work with six scholarship schools and six purists. Note that three of the latter played for the championship in Albany this year.
Yes, but I think you would agree that the Ivy schools are a special case. The reason that they don't offer scholarships (strong focus on academics) is both a blessing AND a curse. For the RITs of the world, it's maybe 10% blessing and 90% curse.

Union hasn't exactly been competitive, so I would count them on my side as exhibit A of why a cost-containment school does NOT want to be in a league with a bunch of Jock Factories.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 04:24PM

Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91
Thanks. Keep forgetting Union still does it right.
They have no choice.

Date: April 25, 2006 04:30PM

ursaminor
They have no choice.
What prevents the Union president from adopting athletic scholarships tomorrow? Is there something in the school charter?

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 04:52PM

Silly me, I read that thread title before seeing who started it, and thought the "cha" was something like "chi" or energy flow. I should have realized that a) that poster doesn't believe in caps and b) this crowd ain't that new-agey.

Date: April 25, 2006 05:12PM

Trotsky
ursaminor
They have no choice.
What prevents the Union president from adopting athletic scholarships tomorrow? Is there something in the school charter?
Union is a DIII school playing up and not grandfathered under the provision that allows Clarkson/SLU/RPI/CC to offer scholarships for hockey. Similarly RIT cannot offer scholarships as a DIII school playing up.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 05:48PM

Jerseygirl
Silly me, I read that thread title before seeing who started it, and thought the "cha" was something like "chi" or energy flow. I should have realized that a) that poster doesn't believe in caps and b) this crowd ain't that new-agey.

I thought "cha...as in cha-cha?" :)

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 05:57PM

Jerseygirl

I just thought "the cha" was some nickname I'd never heard before for a Cornell player likely to leave for the pros soon.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2006 05:57PM by Beeeej.

Date: April 25, 2006 05:59PM

Robb
Union hasn't exactly been competitive, so I would count them on my side as exhibit A of why a cost-containment school does NOT want to be in a league with a bunch of Jock Factories.
Well, Union finished ahead of Clarkson and Quinnipiac and tied with RPI this year--so I guess none of those three were "exactly competitive," either. And as to the rest of Fred's proposed AH teams being "jock factories"--do you really think so? Sacred Heart? Bentley? AIC? Robert Morris? Huntsville? rolleyes

Holy Cross managed to hold up the non-scholarship banner pretty well this year, both within the AH and in the NCAAs. Unless something happened when I wasn't looking, they aren't Ivy.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 09:00PM

Liz '05
Jerseygirl

You and me both. ;-)

Posted by: Robb (68.171.152.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 09:16PM

Al DeFlorio
Robb
Well, Union finished ahead of Clarkson and Quinnipiac and tied with RPI this year--so I guess none of those three were "exactly competitive," either. And as to the rest of Fred's proposed AH teams being "jock factories"--do you really think so? Sacred Heart? Bentley? AIC? Robert Morris? Huntsville? rolleyes

Holy Cross managed to hold up the non-scholarship banner pretty well this year, both within the AH and in the NCAAs. Unless something happened when I wasn't looking, they aren't Ivy.

I'm talking long term success - not proof by anecdote (one year in Union's case or one game in Holy Cross's). And of course I wasn't referring to those AH shools as jock factories. They're the ones I'm suggesting would NOT want to be in a league with the Bemidjis and Niagaras of the hockey world, who are willing and able to devote much more $$$ to their hockey teams than the current and future (RIT) AHA schools.

Date: April 25, 2006 09:57PM

Robb
I'm talking long term success - not proof by anecdote (one year in Union's case or one game in Holy Cross's). And of course I wasn't referring to those AH shools as jock factories. They're the ones I'm suggesting would NOT want to be in a league with the Bemidjis and Niagaras of the hockey world, who are willing and able to devote much more $$$ to their hockey teams than the current and future (RIT) AHA schools.
Your response is not well-informed, I regret to say.

First off, we are talking about competing within a CHA/AH caliber league--in case you've forgotten--not the WCHA. Holy Cross has done that very well for five seasons--without paying its players to play one game for them. Try looking it up. I believe they would have been at least as competitive as Q in last year's ECAC.

As far as I can see, "the Bemidjis and Niagaras" of the CHA/AH "hockey world" consist of...well...just Bemidji and Niagara. And I would bet that both of those two would jump tomorrow at a chance to join one of the established four leagues, and are the most likely to get such an offer.

Union, by the way, summing results of the past six ECAC regular seasons, has finished ahead of sixteen scholarship schools and behind fourteen (presuming Colgate's been giving scholarships for six seasons and Greg has the tiebreakers correct in his standings at TBRW). I'd say they've at least held their own against the ECAC's play-for-pay crowd over that period, and they've had nowhere near the rich hockey history of a Clarkson, RPI, or St. Lawrence to build upon.

Date: April 26, 2006 10:12AM

Al DeFlorio

First off, we are talking about competing within a CHA/AH caliber league--in case you've forgotten--not the WCHA. Holy Cross has done that very well for five seasons--without paying its players to play one game for them. Try looking it up. I believe they would have been at least as competitive as Q in last year's ECAC.

As far as I can see, "the Bemidjis and Niagaras" of the CHA/AH "hockey world" consist of...well...just Bemidji and Niagara. And I would bet that both of those two would jump tomorrow at a chance to join one of the established four leagues, and are the most likely to get such an offer.

Union, by the way, summing results of the past six ECAC regular seasons, has finished ahead of sixteen scholarship schools and behind fourteen (presuming Colgate's been giving scholarships for six seasons and Greg has the tiebreakers correct in his standings at TBRW). I'd say they've at least held their own against the ECAC's play-for-pay crowd over that period, and they've had nowhere near the rich hockey history of a Clarkson, RPI, or St. Lawrence to build upon.
Gosh, could you be just a tiny bit more condescending?

So Holy Cross has done well in AHA. Which proves NOTHING, because my premise is that non-Ivy, non-scholarship schools prefer not to be in a league with schools that offer 18 scholarships because they believe that they would be at a competitive disadvantage. So HC has done well against AHA - can you walk me through how exactly that proves that they would do well against Niagara and Bemidji, because I must be missing something.

Nothing you've said in any way convinces me that RIT, Mercyhurst, or Canisius would be happy about moving from a geographically advantageous, cost-containment league to the CHA. Care to try again?

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: April 26, 2006 05:05PM

jtwcornell91
Liz '05
Jerseygirl

You and me both. ;-)

You and me three. I thought it was something like "mojo" (which, come to think of it, is probably a good English translation of "chi";).

[sarcasm]
Don't blame yourself. Blame the messenger. Perhaps he/she is not simply lazy or conforming to some percieved norm of internet protocol (all lower case was like so 1990s) but has small hands or RSI and cannot easily reach the shift key.

Rather than simply criticize, I would like to help him/her out. Here is a supply of capital letters for use on elynah. Just let me know if you need more:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
XXXXXXXXX (don't need many of these)
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

[/sarcasm]
Sorry, I am procrastinating at work and taking it out on the oringinal poster for confusing me.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 09:06PM

Doesn't this all come down to being Vermont's fault? UVM shifting to HEA caused us to take QU in ECACHL, causing AFA to move to Atlantic? Damn sheep fuckers!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2006 09:49PM by Ben Rocky 04.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2006 09:11PM

if we are thinking that way... then it would simply make sense for RIT to join the CHA

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 09:39PM

Ben Rocky 04
Doesn't this all come down to be it being Vermont's fault? UVM shifting to HEA caused us to take QU in ECACHL, causing AFA to move to Atlantic? Damn sheep fuckers!

AFA moved to be with ARmy, and probably to be in a league with fewer scholarships. I guess AHA may not have taken them if they didn't lose QU, but I would think they would have.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 06:44AM

Jerseygirl

just as some people forget that a cha-cha or dark tower cha or kha post would go into the off-topic section rolleyes

I think that the possibility of the CHA folding should be seen as a scary prospect for the rest of the college hockey world. the NHL did right by the sabres a few years back by taking the burden upon the rest of the owners. would the whole men's college hockey collection of teams benefit from taking an active interest? I think so...

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 11:19AM

DeltaOne81
Ben Rocky 04
Doesn't this all come down to be it being Vermont's fault? UVM shifting to HEA caused us to take QU in ECACHL, causing AFA to move to Atlantic? Damn sheep fuckers!

AFA moved to be with ARmy, and probably to be in a league with fewer scholarships. I guess AHA may not have taken them if they didn't lose QU, but I would think they would have.
Roy would like you to return the R you took without permission. Unless it is vital to national security.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 01, 2006 02:59PM

Date: May 01, 2006 03:46PM

redhair34
Nope.:-D
[www.collegehockeynews.com]
Very good news. While I could do without an AQ from the CHA in the tourney, the growth of college hockey is more important and I'd like there to be a place for an emerging program to go to. The rule change to save the CHA is a good idea.

Date: May 01, 2006 03:56PM

ugarte
While I could do without an AQ from the CHA in the tourney

Niagara=good chance at wining the CHA. Reminder: AQ's-->TUC's. Wins against TUC's = very good. Considering we are playing 2 games against them next year, I can live with it.;-)

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: May 01, 2006 03:58PM

Am I correct in guessing that the 4-team ACC is the only conference that doesn't have an AQ in lacrosse?

Date: May 01, 2006 04:01PM

RichH
Am I correct in guessing that the 4-team ACC is the only conference that doesn't have an AQ in lacrosse?

The ECAC doesn't (at least this year).

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.0.124.121.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 04:04PM

RichH

Looks like the 8-team ECAC doesn't get one either... but that doesn't seem right.

Autobids:

American East Conference
Colonial Athletic Conference
Great Western Lacrosse League
Ivy Group
Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
Patriot League

[www.laxpower.com]

Date: May 01, 2006 04:09PM

Chris '03
Looks like the 8-team ECAC doesn't get one either... but that doesn't seem right.

I'm too lazy to sift through the laxpower forum to discover why they don't receive an automatic bid. I'm sure someone here can explain it to us. help

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: May 01, 2006 04:13PM

redhair34
Chris '03

I'm too lazy to sift through the laxpower forum to discover why they don't receive an automatic bid. I'm sure someone here can explain it to us. help

Just found it:

[www.laxpower.com]

[Q]for a conference to warrant an aq (not that the acc needs it with the quality of their teams) it is obliged to maintain a consistent 6 members for a minimum of 2 years. (the ecac lost their aq last year after navy and umbc left for other conferences. it will regain it after next year (2007) with this year's addition of hobart, loyola, and st. john's - fairfield will join next year but that is inconsequential to the aq.) [/Q]

Date: May 02, 2006 06:50AM

Roy 82
jtwcornell91
Liz '05
Jerseygirl

You and me both. ;-)

You and me three. I thought it was something like "mojo" (which, come to think of it, is probably a good English translation of "chi";).

[sarcasm]
Don't blame yourself. Blame the messenger. Perhaps he/she is not simply lazy or conforming to some percieved norm of internet protocol (all lower case was like so 1990s) but has small hands or RSI and cannot easily reach the shift key.

Rather than simply criticize, I would like to help him/her out. Here is a supply of capital letters for use on elynah. Just let me know if you need more:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
XXXXXXXXX (don't need many of these)
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

[/sarcasm]
Sorry, I am procrastinating at work and taking it out on the oringinal poster for confusing me.
(sarcasm was noted)
could it also be to reflect the diminutive status of a possibly dieing league? no, he cant have a reason b/c he never uses apostrophes either!
i thought criticizing people on the internet when you know nothing about them about insignificant topics and having more than one person repeat it was so 1990s as well.
sigh
as I have mentioned before, would other teams ever step up and donate some cash to help another school gain d1 status or pay them to come into a league?
i doubt it but it is interesting when you think about ncca mens hockey and the nhl.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 07:23AM

jy3
(sarcasm was noted)
could it also be to reflect the diminutive status of a possibly dieing league? no, he cant have a reason b/c he never uses apostrophes either!
i thought criticizing people on the internet when you know nothing about them about insignificant topics and having more than one person repeat it was so 1990s as well.
sigh
as I have mentioned before, would other teams ever step up and donate some cash to help another school gain d1 status or pay them to come into a league?
i doubt it but it is interesting when you think about ncca mens hockey and the nhl.

As part of that lengthy quote, I'd like to mention that no criticism was intended. I just thought my initial thought upon reading the title of this thread was amusing.

On-topic post: the CHA did step up and donate cash (or at least offer to donate cash) to convince teams to join their league. It didn't work, though it seemed to have at least gotten Kennesaw State's attention long enough for them to explore the idea. I hope the legislation goes through, because that really seems to be the only way to keep the CHA as a fully functioning league and one where schools can introduce new hockey programs. Certainly, all the realignment ideas floating around USCHO are unlikely to happen.

Date: May 02, 2006 02:16PM

"People (feel) optimistic for sure, based on precdent and based on the rationale behind it," said Anastos. "And because there are people on the Championships Cabinet and Management Council that very well understand our sport. So you never know, but there's optimism."

The Cabinet includes representatives from hockey-playing schools Miami, Connecticut, Denver, Cornell and Quinnipiac.

Since when does Cornell actually *participate* with anything to do with college sports. Other than wrestling, of course, and their obligatory committement to hockey.

Get off the Championship Cabinet and use your free time to host a regional!

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: May 02, 2006 02:57PM

Liz '05
jy3
(sarcasm was noted)
sigh

As part of that lengthy quote, I'd like to mention that no criticism was intended. I just thought my initial thought upon reading the title of this thread was amusing.

My criticism was intended. I could have done it in a less condescending manner, and for that I apologize. Unlike Liz, who is a far more gracious person than I, my reaction to the miscommunication was not one of laughing at myself but of mild annoyance at you because your style confused me. Since I don't know you, I automatically "filled in the blank" by assigning motive to your style.

So feel free to make use of this information as you see fit. Just letting you know that your presentation style will sometime confuse some and sometimes annoy some (or maybe just me).

Anyway, we've discussed this topic before on another thread and so the horse is starting to keel over. If we were in the midst of hockey season I probably wouldn't have cared but I was bored.

Peace out. rock (that's almost a peace sign)

Date: May 02, 2006 04:16PM

whatever works, roy. there are more important things to worry about than my lack of punctuation and use of big letters. as i said a posting in the hockey forum with the letters "c" "h" and "a" together suggests a hockey post and not an off topic post. maybe I am asking too much for people to realize that just as you are asking too much for me to use punctuation and big letters :) or rather asking too much to have people not assume that an OT post would be in the hockey section.

no offense taken, no matter what was intended, so dont sweat it.

liz, i had not realized that $ was dealt out to the members. interesting

Date: May 02, 2006 04:45PM

IthinkweshouldreturntotheoldEnglishpractiseofnotputtingspacesbe
tweenwordsorpunctuationwithinsentences.thatwouldsavevaluablepar
chmentandallowforthefurtherglacialdevelopmentofourcivilisation.

Date: May 02, 2006 05:04PM

jtwcornell91

frthtmttrwhndsvwls?

Bj

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: May 02, 2006 05:07PM

I never have been able to understand why proper punctuation and grammar are expected on hard paper, but are so often neglected when the medium is electronic. Should we assume that an author is so busy that they simply do not have the time to use proper English? The time of the author must therefore be far more valuable than that of the reader, since it seems to be okay for the reader to now spend more time trying to decipher the implied message. rolleyes

Date: May 02, 2006 05:29PM

Hey Age, can we have a new forum for arguments about grammar? help

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: May 02, 2006 05:34PM

Oh for Pete's sake can we drop it already? My original comment was meant to poke lighthearted fun at an original perception I had without considering the source. Like maybe "cha" was some sort of New Age visualization technique McKee had picked up on a sojourn to New Mexico and was now taking with him to the big leagues, leaving the Big Red without spiritual grounding.

I'm a huge fan of proper grammar, punctuation and capitalization, but I cut jy3 a break because he's been on here forever, he knows his shit, and after being on call for 24 hours as a doctor, the last thing he needs is to come on here and have people on his ass regarding something that ain't gonna change.

Date: May 02, 2006 06:59PM

Jerseygirl
I'm a huge fan of proper grammar, punctuation and capitalization, but I cut jy3 a break because he's been on here forever, he knows his shit, and after being on call for 24 hours as a doctor, the last thing he needs is to come on here and have people on his ass regarding something that ain't gonna change.
I'll bet the pharmacists can't read his prescriptions. That is probably the more important problem

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 02, 2006 07:27PM

jtwcornell91
Unnecessary point of order: Old English isn't famous for the no-spaces phenomenon (in fact in my... erm... three semesters' worth of OE study I haven't personally seen images of any OE manuscripts that don't have spaces between words, though that doesn't mean they don't exist). Classical Latin, however, is letter soup.

Hey, my soon to be degree has to be good for something, even if it's trivia.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 07:57PM

Section A Banshee
jtwcornell91
Unnecessary point of order: Old English isn't famous for the no-spaces phenomenon (in fact in my... erm... three semesters' worth of OE study I haven't personally seen images of any OE manuscripts that don't have spaces between words, though that doesn't mean they don't exist). Classical Latin, however, is letter soup.

I'll have to go have another look at my Zupitza when I get back to the office. Maybe it was just the lines that were not formatted, but I remember it being vastly more difficult to follow than a modern transliteration, and was very thankful to Klaeber.

Date: May 02, 2006 11:20PM

ugarte
Jerseygirl
I'll bet the pharmacists can't read his prescriptions. That is probably the more important problem

na, the new scripts are too expensive to make a mistake on. plus the difference between 10 and 40 in dosing can kill someone. seems more important than caps and periods, period. :)

banshee, doesn't old english rock? I miss reading that stuff (<-- I used a cap and an apostrophe without realizing it! maybe I have been infected with the grammatically correct virus thru my pc)

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 11:42PM

ugarte

More to the point, the med mal plaintiff-side attorneys can't decipher his progress notes to use for incrimination purposes.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: May 03, 2006 11:33AM

Section A Banshee
Classical Latin, however, is letter soup.
And all caps. Talk about indecipherable.

Good grammar and proper punctuation and capitalization, since they indicate politeness to the reader, have always been class and education indicators. Follow your instincts. The rest of us will draw our conclusions.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 11:06AM

jy3
na, the new scripts are too expensive to make a mistake on.
Actually the new scripts in NY are free. You have to order them from the state, but at no cost.[Q]More to the point, the med mal plaintiff-side attorneys can't decipher his progress notes to use for incrimination purposes.

Beeeej[/Q]Actually Beeeej you should know that poorly decipherable notes are usually more a problem for the defense. Good documentation is the second best defense.

Date: May 05, 2006 12:52PM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej
More to the point, the med mal plaintiff-side attorneys can't decipher his progress notes to use for incrimination purposes.
Actually Beeeej you should know that poorly decipherable notes are usually more a problem for the defense. Good documentation is the second best defense.

...unless the notes would've provided a smoking gun if decipherable.

These things go both ways.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2006 12:52PM by Beeeej.

Date: May 06, 2006 01:55PM

Trotsky
Section A Banshee
Classical Latin, however, is letter soup.
And all caps. Talk about indecipherable.

Good grammar and proper punctuation and capitalization, since they indicate politeness to the reader, have always been class and education indicators. Follow your instincts. The rest of us will draw our conclusions.
follow your own instincts as well. if you are judging levels of class and education according to postings on the internet suggest that those who are passing judgement should possibly look elsewhere or just not do it. now if I was presenting to you in a law school class and I talked or typed as above, then that is a whole other thing.
I think I am done with this.
Beeeej

the poking fun is getting a little old, especially when bringing professional life into things. statements of need for suits and incrimination when you nothing about my professional life suggest the need for you to judge me. no matter how benign appearing the statement is, such a suggestion in any way speaks for itself.

when you actually know me, have at it. I am done with this as well.

Jim, we both know that the cost of the pads gets paid for somewhere, they HAVE to be more expensive since they are taking the place of the triplicates.

enjoy the offseason. it seems that my attempts to bring intelligent discussion about the possible effects felt by all teams in the NCAA from the CHA folding has brought the idiocy of bickering about punctuation and how they tell all about a person.
have a nice off-season

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: May 08, 2006 12:38PM

I beg your collective pardon, but in the midst of all the fun and laughter, did anyone notice this?

[www.uscho.com]

The article doesn't say anything definite but does have an interesting quote:

[Q]
With only five teams in the CHA, its automatic bid to the NCAA tournament looked to be in jeopardy, but a new regulation proposed to the NCAA and already passed by the NCAA Ice Hockey Committee has the five-team CHA cluster's playoff champion making the NCAA round of 16.
[/Q]

Date: May 08, 2006 01:19PM

fenwick
I beg your collective pardon, but in the midst of all the fun and laughter, did anyone notice this?

[www.uscho.com]

[Q]
With only five teams in the CHA, its automatic bid to the NCAA tournament looked to be in jeopardy, but a new regulation proposed to the NCAA and already passed by the NCAA Ice Hockey Committee has the five-team CHA cluster's playoff champion making the NCAA round of 16.
[/Q]
Yes, redhair34 linked to a CHN artciel about that on May 1.

Date: May 08, 2006 04:17PM

jy3
Beeeej

the poking fun is getting a little old, especially when bringing professional life into things. statements of need for suits and incrimination when you nothing about my professional life suggest the need for you to judge me. no matter how benign appearing the statement is, such a suggestion in any way speaks for itself.

Good doctors get sued, too, jy3. Take a deep breath and relax. If we're to not care how you choose to communicate because it's "only teh intarwebs," try holding yourself to the same standard.

Have a good off-season yourself.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: May 09, 2006 05:59PM

Right?

Who decides which way is "right" and which is not?

Get off your soap box. You've beat this dead horse long enough.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 10:04PM

fenwick

[www.uscho.com]

[Q]
[/Q]
http://elf.elynah.com/read.php?1,95228,95527#msg-95527

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 12:29AM

Rich S
the same old crap
Shut. Up.

You are responding to a three week old post that says nothing controversial and states the obvious position of Ivy League sports fans.

Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: May 10, 2006 05:09PM

very clever of you to attribute your "crap" to me. It's also tasteless on your part.

It may be a 3 week old post but it's the first time I saw it. So "shut up". lol

It IS controversial in that it makes the point that doing it the Ivy way is "right."

Who says so? What makes granting athletic scholarships "right" or "wrong." Having an opinion is fine but claiming that the Ivy way is the right way isn't.

Clearly many other D1 schools don't feel that way.

Chill out, ok?

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: May 10, 2006 06:51PM

jtwcornell91
Liz '05
Jerseygirl
Silly me, I read that thread title before seeing who started it, and thought the "cha" was something like "chi" or energy flow.

You and me both. ;-)

Nobody saw it as the Cornell Hockey Association? Interesting.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2006 10:20PM

oooo RichS shows up and the namecalling begins...

Date: May 10, 2006 10:46PM

nr53
oooo RichS shows up and the namecalling begins...

It must be a *total* coincidence.

Date: May 11, 2006 09:35AM

RichS
very clever of you to attribute your "crap" to me. It's also tasteless on your part.

Who says so? What makes ugarte's digs "tasteless" or "funny"? Having an opinion is fine but claiming that the RichS way is the right way isn't.

Ah, he said "lol". What came before it must have been funny!

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: May 11, 2006 02:13PM

Beeeej

Ah, he said "lol". What came before it must have been funny!

I think you meant to say "must of". :-} nut

Date: May 11, 2006 06:12PM

First off, I didn't call anyone a "name." Look back and you'll see that ugarte said "shut up" because he apparently could not handle a dissenting opinion. I just simply added "lol" to my "shut up" response to him. Follow?

Secondly, What makes his post tasteless is that he formatted his own "same old crap" comment to look like he was quoting me as having said it. That's weak.

Thirdly, I didn't say that the "Rich S way" was right. The point, which was clearly stated, is that there's nothing that says the Ivy way, or the non-Ivy way is "right." What gives anyone the right to declare one right and the others wrong.

Coincidence you ask? Nope. I expressed my opinion directly. A few of you chose to make a spat out of it. Now that indeed is the same old crap.

Date: May 11, 2006 06:31PM

Rich S
What makes his post tasteless is that he formatted his own "same old crap" comment to look like he was quoting me as having said it. That's weak.
No, I characterized the content of your post and then responded to it. I have no idea why you think anyone would think that it was an actual quote. It isn't really the sort of thing you say.

I didn't say that the "Rich S way" was right. The point, which was clearly stated, is that there's nothing that says the Ivy way, or the non-Ivy way is "right." What gives anyone the right to declare one right and the others wrong.
RichS<----------------1000 miles------------------->The Point.

Now that indeed is the same old crap.
Or maybe it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2006 06:33PM by ugarte.

Date: May 11, 2006 10:46PM

look guys, hockey season is over. cornell and clarkson don't play against eachother until january... can we please just stop arguing? it's getting old. someone decide to be the bigger man and not respond. I can't find the image right now... but remember "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the special olympics... even if you win you're still retarded"

disclaimer: it was a joke. I hold no ill feelings towards the mentally challenged

Date: May 12, 2006 12:08AM

Dpperk29
look guys, hockey season is over. cornell and clarkson don't play against eachother until january... can we please just stop arguing? it's getting old. someone decide to be the bigger man and not respond. I can't find the image right now... but remember "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the special olympics... even if you win you're still retarded"
Jerk.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2006 11:19AM

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-221-194.myvzw.com)
Date: May 12, 2006 12:21PM

Hockey deprivation.....It must cause tastelessness!!! Can we please be more civil folks!
If you've ever worked on a Special Olympics or known a participant, you would understand just how low this conversation has degraded.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2006 12:27PM by redice.

Date: May 12, 2006 03:46PM

I have not worked with the Special Olympics but have worked with many Special Ed kids the past few years.

Yes, I do appreciate the tastelessness and insensitivity of the reference to them in the context of this discussion.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2006 04:50PM

And if anyone knows tastelessness and insensitivity...

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 05:51PM

Rich S
Right?

Who decides which way is "right" and which is not?

Get off your soap box. You've beat this dead horse long enough.

The name-calling in the Duke lax forum among those who think she's a tart anbd those who think the Duke players are guilty of something, like at least horrible judgment in gneral, has been tapering off. Maybe you could lend weight to one side. There's a danger rational thought may break out on Other Sports.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 13, 2006 07:08PM

CowbellGuy

yep, you sure would.

Date: May 13, 2006 08:42PM

Rich S
CowbellGuy
yep, you sure would.
Also, Age, he is rubber and you are glue. So TAKE THAT!

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 13, 2006 09:06PM

ugarte
Rich S
CowbellGuy
yep, you sure would.
Also, Age, he is rubber and you are glue. So TAKE THAT!

and to borrow your phrase, this is the "same old crap" from you.

Date: May 13, 2006 09:20PM

how long until hockey season starts and we can argue about something semi-relevent?

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 14, 2006 09:52AM

Dpperk29
how long until hockey season starts and we can argue about something semi-relevent?

Do you think that just because it's hockey season RichS will start making relevant posts? Where have you been??

Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: May 16, 2006 05:00PM

"relevant post" = one that agrees with the vast majority of elynah posters.

:-}

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 16, 2006 05:11PM

RichS
"relevant post" = one that agrees with the vast majority of elynah posters.

Yeah, we all agree on everything here. rolleyes

Date: May 16, 2006 07:08PM

Just saying "no it's not" is not an argument!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2006 07:09PM by ugarte.

Date: May 16, 2006 07:14PM

ugarte
Well, it can be...

Posted by: French Rage (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 16, 2006 07:32PM

Robb
ugarte
Well, it can be...

No it's not.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: May 17, 2006 12:24AM

French Rage
Robb
ugarte
Well, it can be...

No it's not.

Listen, if I were to argue with you, I have to take up a contrary position.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 02, 2006 08:02AM

DeltaOne81
French Rage
Robb
ugarte
Well, it can be...

No it's not.

Listen, if I were to argue with you, I have to take up a contrary position.

Not necessarily.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2006 08:35AM

I could be arguing in my spare time....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login