Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

What is wrong with us this season?

Posted by Cabot 
What is wrong with us this season?
Posted by: Cabot (---.burl.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2004 09:26PM

3 points in 4 home games? Coming out flat against Dartmouth tonight and then giving up 2 goals in the last 6 minutes to blow the game? One goal in 2 home games against RPI and Union? And that is just the last 2 weekends... I've only seen Cornell @ Harvard and Brown - what is our problem at home? Did we expect too much out of a group of young players this season?

Re: What is wrong with us this season?
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 24, 2004 09:49PM

The short answer: yes.

Any time you lose a lot of talent and bring in a big freshman class, you are going to have growing pains.

Although this was a horrendously disappointing loss, don't start gorging out. We are much better than I expected in several areas -- McKee, defense. We just haven't much in the way of an offense.

Posted by: Steve Marciniec '85 (---.los-angeles-54-55rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 24, 2004 10:16PM

What has been strange is that we're playing better on the road and neutral ice than at Lynah. nut Also we had a stretch where we scored 13 goals in 3 games against good teams (well at least 2 of them are good;-) ). I have only seen the game at Harvard on TV, and the offense looked great. I don't know what has happened to us since. worry

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2004 10:29PM

From the recap on the Vermont game:

" "We were getting away from our system at home," said Cornell captain Ryan Vesce. "I don't know why. We seem to go on the road, keep it simple, then we come home and turn into a fancy team, and that's not us." "

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2004 12:06AM

Well, if we keep playing like we do, we'll do fantastic in Albany and in the NCAA's. We just have to make sure we don't get home ice in the first or 2nd playoff round. rolleyes

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2004 08:47AM

This season reminds me of life, in general. If you expect too much you will always be disappointed. One of my now deceased cousins was quoted by my brother as "never having any expectations" - and therefore was always pleased with whatever good came her way. (She had a bit of a hard life but was always happy.)

I know philosophy is off topic, but this IS a rebuilding year. If the team plays the way they did in Estero good things may yet come our way. They are young and I think their hard work and talent have yet to bloom. I am looking forward to whenever that occurs - be it this year or not.

Post Edited (01-25-04 08:51)

Posted by: Richard '70 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2004 10:31AM

I have to admit I'm pretty disappointed. This is a team with a lot of talent, mostly young talent to be sure, but a lot of talent, esp. by ECAC standards.

To really be really effective in our system we have to dominate the boards and it's just not happening this year. When the power play doesn't connect, we don't get any goals. Maybe it's time to open things up a bit.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2004 11:05AM

And in reply to myself, I would like to point out that if the members of the team don't expect to win they won't.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2004 11:56AM

I think this is a good time for fans to reassess our perspective and stop worrying about things like the RS championship or an at-large bid (neither of which seemed very realistic expectations once Lenny left). I'd still be very happy with a top four finish, a first-round playoff bye, and a chance to win the Whitelaw with four rather than six straight victories.

This season has given us a lot of surprises, both good and bad. Good: our performance away from Lynah, our defense, and McKee, who I'm amazed is playing so well as a freshman (look at the growing pains Underhill, JMP, and even Elliott went through). Bad: our performance at home, our offense, and our power play.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2004 03:18PM

I had a thought... do you think the performance at Lynah might have something to do with the new players being intimidated by their own fans? Like, they push themselves harder because they know about Lynah's own reputation, and end up making the job more difficult on themselves?

This thought was inspired by Vesce's comment that they keep it simple when they're playing away from home and for some reason, when they come back, they start becoming a "fancy" team.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2004 03:56PM

I don't know why this particular set of freshmen would react to the Lynah fans any differently than others. Possibly, the upperclassmen started to take winning at Lynah for granted after the 15-0 record last year.

Everybody started gunning for Cornell in the wake of the runaway RS title in 2002. In 2003, that didn't matter because Cornell was so much better than everybody else. This year, it's caught up with them.

Posted by: dOwns (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2004 04:26PM

Every once in a while when we lose, or when our team doesn't play up to potential, I think of last year and get this serge of sadness. However, I would like to point out that last year, we lost 8 key players... each one made a HUGE difference on our team. Of course we got a new batch of freshman, but in no way should ANYONE look at our freshman of today to play as well as who we lost, or even have the capabilities and experience. We lost Travis Bell and Mark McRae, two amazing defensive players; Doug Murray, a big physical guy who added some intimidation to the team, and who was also a great scorer and defensive player; Stephen Bâby who was a great leader and teacher on our team; Matt McRae, Shane Palahicky, and Sam Paolini who always scored when we needed it and helped run things smoothly; and David LeNeveu, who was no doubtingly the best College-level goaltender in America. Last year our team could of won both games in the Frozen Four, and received all four banners in which we deserved... because we had a GREAT team, and could have done it all if we really focused, but unfortunately we slipped up. But we can't always have great teams because players will move on. Right now, we have a very young team. By the time our freshman are seniors, there is no doubt in my mind that they will be as good as our seniors of 2002-03. But everyone must keep in mind, that there are many freshmen and even sophomores on our team that are doing a great job and playing very well for where they are at this point, and we are very lucky that we have received such talent.

Now, let them get all their mistakes out now, make the most out of their practices, and discover what will win the game and what won't. Let's be optimistic and supportive and watch our team grow.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 26, 2004 08:13AM

Let's put things in perspective. Things could be worse. You could be a Harvard fan :-D

Vesce had it right. The team was overpassing and trying to be too fancy. Getting out of that mode will take time. We need patience. and the rest will come.

We've got the talent. In Schafer we trust.

JH

PS Oh wait, does Harvard have any fans?

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: January 26, 2004 09:52AM

Quite frankly, during the off-season, weren't we all discussing our (relatively) low expectations for the team? I thought getting home ice for the playoffs was our realistic goal, and anything else would be gravy.

The problem is that the team started off winning, and playing offensively better than expected, thus raising expectations, almost to where they were the last two seasons.

If the offense had started out this season playing this way, we likely would have chalked it up to the ups-and-downs of incorporating new players into the system and we would be hoping that by March, the kinks would be worked out.

Posted by: yougoon (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2004 10:05AM

I have one observation to make. In the many years I have watched Cornell hockey, it seems to me that, in the past, when the team got a little down on its luck, the fans would try to make it up with inspiration and energy. That just isn't happening this year. The more the team struggles, the more our fans sit back and throw out a "let's go red" once per period. Perhaps this has something to do with the process of student season ticket distribution that everyone has been complaining about - perhaps we have a lot of first time fans (in addition to lots of freshmen on the ice), perhaps it is just too darn cold.

In the past, recruits would come to Lynah and be impressed with the atmosphere, regardless of the team's win or loss. I just don't think that has been the case this year. Go ahead and lynch me, but the Lynah factor is not much of a factor this year.
snore

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 26, 2004 10:52AM

yougoon wrote:

I have one observation to make. In the many years I have watched Cornell hockey, it seems to me that, in the past, when the team got a little down on its luck, the fans would try to make it up with inspiration and energy. That just isn't happening this year. The more the team struggles, the more our fans sit back and throw out a "let's go red" once per period. Perhaps this has something to do with the process of student season ticket distribution that everyone has been complaining about - perhaps we have a lot of first time fans (in addition to lots of freshmen on the ice), perhaps it is just too darn cold.

In the past, recruits would come to Lynah and be impressed with the atmosphere, regardless of the team's win or loss. I just don't think that has been the case this year. Go ahead and lynch me, but the Lynah factor is not much of a factor this year.
snore

I won't lynch you. I think you're not very far from the truth. We, the Lynah Faithful, need to show the world why we are the best fans in all of college hockey. I want to see the enthusiasm I saw at the Harvard game being displayed at each and every game at Lynah. I want to see opposing fans be afraid to buy tickets here. I want to see players on the other team get intimidated by the Cornell fans. I want to see the other team fear coming to Lynah again and again. The Cornell players obviously will do their part, but we need to help out, too. Lynah Rink will be the best (and the worst) college hockey venue in the country, but not until we step up to make it happen.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: January 26, 2004 11:01AM

One comment I keep hearing is that the team is only playing for two periods. To me, that means lack of physical fitness/endurance, which goes against what I've heard about these guys. Can anyone correct me or comment? Are our boys, as a team, in good enough shape? Or as compared to last year?

Date: January 26, 2004 12:42PM

Ken Pavelle '92 wrote:

One comment I keep hearing is that the team is only playing for two periods. To me, that means lack of physical fitness/endurance, which goes against what I've heard about these guys. Can anyone correct me or comment? Are our boys, as a team, in good enough shape? Or as compared to last year?

I think it shifts from game to game. In some games against good and bad opponents alike, I've seen our boys go the distance. In other games, also against good and bad opponents alike, I've seen them really slow down during the third period. I can't explain it; maybe others can.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 26, 2004 01:39PM

I suspect it (the crowd) has much more to do with 2003 than with the ticket line. Fans were treated to back to back RS championships and a Frozen Four team. This team isn't meeting those (unrealistic) "expectations". So the crowd is having trouble adjusting to a good but not outstanding team. Especially since the team hasn't had much success at home, which is all that the majority of fans see/hear.

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.usae.bah.com)
Date: January 26, 2004 01:58PM

Keith, I think you hit the nail on the head ... the past two years we've been treated to exceptional hockey (especially at home). This season we're watching a young talented team develop into what will be a great team. Couple that with a ton of young fans (many of them expecting last years results as the norm) and you get the tomb that has been Lynah many times this season.

I hope they can figure out last years success was not normal for any program and realize this group can/will be there soon enough.
We just have to be patient...

just my $.02 :-)

Post Edited (01-26-04 14:04)

Posted by: Greg Berge (64.49.66.---)
Date: January 26, 2004 02:35PM

And while they are gelling, they're still playing good, competitive hockey. Here's a look at how they compare after this number of games in previous seasons: [members.cox.net]

Granted, they aren't in the red or orange, but this is still a far cry from the "green years." In fact, they are at the median for Schafer teams after 12 ECAC GP.

Post Edited (01-26-04 14:35)

Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 26, 2004 03:10PM

A fan problem: the entire first row of section B was empty until the first faceoff.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 26, 2004 05:57PM

I don't know if it was typical, since classes hadn't started, but for Union/RPI weekend, the bottom corner of section D where I stood, was filled with a group of serious facetimers. They spent the entire game, talking about social plans, past conquests on the non-hockey kind, and the like. At times several of them weren't even facing the ice.

It drove me nuts.

JH

Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 26, 2004 08:28PM

Hopefully it was just that once.

I face the ice in my sleep - I don't want to get lazy.

Posted by: A-ron (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 27, 2004 01:26AM

I started talking to some of the freshmen who sit in front of me in B. I convinced them to hang out with me before the game, thus forcing them to head off to Lynah when I do. I could tell they are definitely beginning to pick up on cheers and already becoming solid Faithful, despite their usual tardiness.

Along the lines of the silence in Lynah, I was pretty disturbed by Cook's quote about his penalty shot. He made the comment that it was the loudest he had heard Lynah in a while. While I guess that's good that it finally got us excited, I remember every game ending with townies on their feet and defening noise levels...one such moment resulting in a winning goal from Paolini against Yale with 7 seconds left. At least we still never boo our own team

Also, being not the tallest of individuals, would it have been impolite of me ask the guy with the large cowboy hat in front of me to take it off? I don't know where he could have possibly put it down, but still, even Age moved up a row to get better viewing angles.

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2004 01:31AM

I think I know who Cowboy Hat Guy is. I believe it's our SA president. Yes, the one who was kicked out of a game earlier this year. I'm sure he'd take it off if you asked him :-)

Yep, that last sentence sounded weird....

Date: January 27, 2004 07:48AM

Does he wear the cowboy hat every game?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: January 27, 2004 09:26AM

A-ron wrote:
would it have been impolite of me ask the guy with the large cowboy hat in front of me to take it off? I don't know where he could have possibly put it down
I could think of one place he could put it up. Not to mention that he's tall to start with. Bloody inconsiderate, IMO.

Date: January 27, 2004 04:26PM

No idea, but I remember noticing him with it on this past weekend for a game....

Posted by: LynahFaithfulS (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 27, 2004 04:27PM

One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino wrote:
... We, the Lynah Faithful, need to show the world why we are the best fans in all of college hockey. I want to see the enthusiasm I saw at the Harvard game being displayed at each and every game at Lynah. I want to see opposing fans be afraid to buy tickets here. I want to see players on the other team get intimidated by the Cornell fans. I want to see the other team fear coming to Lynah again and again. The Cornell players obviously will do their part, but we need to help out, too. Lynah Rink will be the best (and the worst) college hockey venue in the country, but not until we step up to make it happen.

hear hear (or is it here here?) :-)

Date: January 29, 2004 02:06AM

We've also been unlucky in the sense that we have been running into teams, or individuals, when they've been hot. Here's what I mean.......

For the past 4 weekends (plus this upcoming weekend, making it 5 in a row) that we've been involved with ECAC play (so, therefore, not counting the Everblades tournament), we've gone into the weekend having to face the reigning ECAC Player, Goalie and/or Rookie of the week.

For example:

week of 12/1 (before the Brown/Harvard games): Danis was the Player of the Week, Grumet-Morris was the Goaltender of the Week, and Ihnacak was the Rookie of the Week.

week of 1/5: Danis (Brown): Goaltender of the Week

week of 1/12: Marsters (RPI): Goaltender of the Week

week of 1/19: Stempniak (Dartmouth): Player of the Week

And now this week, the week of 1/26, going into the weekend series with Colgate: Smyth (Colgate): Player of the Week, & Campaner (Colgate) : Rookie of the Week

Quite an impressive streak of opponents we've had then, eh? The only other school with such a streak is, naturally, Colgate. And of course they have fared much better overall in those games, with a 6-2-0 (12 pts) record compared with our 3-3-2 (8 pts) record.

Post Edited (01-29-04 02:10)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login