Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Past player's number

Posted by RedAR 
Past player's number
Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: January 22, 2004 03:23AM

Is there a database where I can find out the what number certain players had when they played at Cornell? I was just curious to find out what number Mike Sancimino wore, and a quick search proved fruitless.

Thanks.

Re: Past player's number
Posted by: Ithaca High '00 (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: January 22, 2004 03:39AM

I don't know if there's a database, but I believe he wore #18.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 22, 2004 06:16AM

#18 is right:

[www.amurgsval.org]

Date: January 22, 2004 10:35AM

thanks, and I guess there's no database. I have his nameplate, and was so was wondering what number he wore.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 22, 2004 12:22PM

I'm surprised Greg hasn't put together a numbers page, since I'm sure he has all the info. FWIW I have rosters with numbers posted for the years '95 - '01 on my old web site (News Archives link on the left). They're only sorted by year though, so if you didn't know that Sancimino graduated in '96 it might take a bunch of clicks.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: January 22, 2004 02:48PM

I'm going to put all the rosters into the CHDB before I do any more old games. Can't say exactly when that will happen though.

Posted by: RedAR (---.gsd.harvard.edu)
Date: January 22, 2004 02:56PM

So there isn't a central database in existence. I too expect that Greg would have that info, and was really surprised that it wasn't at TBRW.

In anycase, I don't think I'm in the market for another game worn jersey, so if anyone has a #18 jersey and would like to put Sancimino's (SANCIMINO!) nameplate on it, let me know.

Edit: It's an away RED nameplate.

Post Edited (01-22-04 14:57)

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: January 22, 2004 03:02PM

Umm, how did you end up with just a nameplate?

Posted by: Greg Berge (64.49.66.---)
Date: January 22, 2004 04:50PM

I actually do have the uni numbers for players running back to the early 80's--just not on TBRW. It's been on the to do list. It will now be higher. ;-)

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: January 22, 2004 06:12PM

I've got some info from the '66-'67 to '69-'70 era (as well as a pretty good memory thereon) and probably some thereafter. Several years ago, I faxed some old programs to Keith so he could post the rosters on his website. I'll be glad to help wherever I can.

Posted by: RedAR (---.gsd.harvard.edu)
Date: January 22, 2004 06:52PM

when I went to buy my jersey, I asked the guy if he had a nameplate for either Papp or Adler (the 2 jerseys I already had). He pulled out three or four bags with nameplates and letters, and we started going through them. I got a Papp nameplate, but no Adler. In the process, I found a Sancimino, and Pelletier, which he just gave me.

Date: January 22, 2004 06:58PM

Thanks for reminding me Jeff. I do have rosters with numbers posted for '67 and '70 from the programs Jeff sent me. Archives -> History -> Record in Past Years -> click the year. I also have some sketchy unreliable data for the 70s.

Posted by: peter shier '78 (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: January 23, 2004 11:10PM

i graduated in '78 + played on the 75,76,77 teams. (freshmen had to play JV in those days...sigh) i have some old programs at home and can help you out with numbers etc. if you need them.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: January 26, 2004 09:59AM

Wow, Pete, thanks for contributing. It's not everyday that one of the best defensemen to ever play at Cornell weighs in here.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 27, 2004 02:05AM

Pete - thanks for the offer. If you feel motivated and would be willing to transcribe, fax or photcopy the rosters it would be greatly appreciated!

I just got a copy of the '74-'75 roster. There's a Cornell at Princeton game program up on eBay right now (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2783235125&category=25550&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1) from Feb '75 and the seller was so nice as to include scans of the roster pages in the auction. :-)

Interesting note: as you might expect the Cornell roster in Feb 75 consisted of 23 Canadians, one player from Niagara Falls, NY and one goalie from... Baltimore?!?

Date: January 27, 2004 09:20AM

Thanks all for your responses. Also, how DO we find our goalies? Baltimore, Australia, Texas?

Date: January 27, 2004 11:00AM

I think Sheain (the one from Baltimore) was a lacrosse goalie, and served as an emergency third stringer. I did I quick internet search and found a Trey Sheain from the same high school who is now a freshman lacrosse goalie at North Carolina.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.larc.nasa.gov)
Date: January 27, 2004 02:58PM

I can't see how being a lacrosse goalie translates into being a hockey goalie. Maybe it's just some affinity for getting your body in between the goal and the fast moving object. Certainly lacrosse goalie sticks are not like hockey sticks. Nor can I imagine the lacrosse guys could skate too well either, unless of course they played hockey before.

Date: January 27, 2004 04:43PM

Well, a locrosse goalie is probably a better emergency goalie than the average student pulled off of the Ag Quad. Esp. in the '70s when I suspect there were fewer hockey players in the general student population so fewer Nate Hicks'.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 27, 2004 04:51PM

Keith K '93 wrote:

Well, a lacrosse goalie is probably a better emergency goalie than the average student pulled off of the Ag Quad.
And he's accustomed to having very hard rubber objects coming at him at very high speeds. Seems to me Cropper's back-up in the perfect 1970 season was a mighty fine lacrosse goalie.

The hockey-lacrosse crossover thing
Posted by: Hillel J. Hoffmann '85 (---.zzapp.org)
Date: January 27, 2004 05:45PM

There's sortuva tradition of Cornell lacrosse and hockey goalies doing some flip-flopping between the 6x6 and 6x4 cages.

Al has already referred to the most famous example: Bob Rule '71, a CU hockey back-up goalie who was one of the greatest college lacrosse goalies of all-time. Another less well-known crossover is Justin Cynar '02, a great lax goalie who also was an excellent hockey goalie at the scholastic level long before he ever picked up a lacrosse stick.

Many other Cornell players past and present grew up doing the hockey-lax double--although not the goalie thang. I think it's more common than people realize, for a lot of different cultural/seasonal/skill-set reasons. Joe Nieuwendyk's lax prowess has been discussed before on this site (he was such a good indoor lacrosse player that there's an award named after him in one of Ontario's Junior lax leagues). Matt Moulson supposedly is a great box player too. On the other side, freshman Mitch Belisle from Maryland--a promising freshman middie on the Cornell lacrosse team this year--was one of the best hockey players in a region that has begun to produce A+ hockey talent. (Don't laugh: Jeff Halpern was just the first in what's gonna be a long line of MD/DC/VA talent showing up on NHL rosters ... they've already infiltrated D-I hockey lineups.)

Re: The hockey-lacrosse crossover thing
Date: January 27, 2004 06:11PM

Hillel J. Hoffmann '85 wrote:

Many other Cornell players past and present grew up doing the hockey-lax double--although not the goalie thang.
Fans would yell "slap shot" at Harry Orr when he laxed for Ned on Lower Alumni Field (sigh) in 1966. I recall Harry scoring on a sort-of underhanded shot that bounced low along the ground and managed to sneak past a screened goalie.

Date: January 27, 2004 06:12PM

In Rule's case, Cornell just didn't have anyone to back up Cropper in the '69-'70 season. So, Ned basically convinced Bob Rule, a lacrosse goalie from Manhasset, to join the team and worked to make him the backup goalie. Fortunately, Cropper got through the season without injury. The one game I remember Rule playing in was the last regular season game at Princeton. Cropper started but Rule replaced him when the score was 7-1 or 9-1. After Princeton scored three straight goals, Ned put Cropper back in. Perhaps Rule may have also played another third period earlier in the season with a little more success.

Date: January 27, 2004 07:08PM

Jeff Kahn '70 wrote:

The one game I remember Rule playing in was the last regular season game at Princeton. Cropper started but Rule replaced him when the score was 7-1 or 9-1. After Princeton scored three straight goals, Ned put Cropper back in. Perhaps Rule may have also played another third period earlier in the season with a little more success.
Greg's stats show Rule playing three games for a total of 37 minutes, with three goals-against and eleven saves.

Trivia factoid also from Greg's stats: In 1967-8, Dryden's back-up, George Swan, had a 1.00 GAA and .946 save percentage in 120 minutes played--both figures better than Ken's!

Date: January 28, 2004 10:00AM

Thanks Al. I was pretty sure I had seen Rule play at Lynah. He probably had one third period, one short stint when he came in only after Cropper lost a shutout late in the game, and the aforementioned game at Princeton - with 2 of the 3 being perfect (albeit short) performances. That puts a more positive spin on it than my previous post, but most importantly, he was there if we ever needed him and, I'm sure, was very valuable to have in practice as well.

Posted by: peter shier '78 (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: January 28, 2004 09:57PM

don't think the previously mentioned goalie, Baltimore Buzzy Shaen was a lacrosse goalie as well??? Seem to recall him being particulary good at C-House beer drinking though....he was a fairly portly guy who covered a lot of net...we still talk about him every summer at the reunion, falling under the ...."wonder whatever happened to...?" category....good guy.

Keith K...will get around to it when i can dig a few old programs up
CUlater...you flatter me....thnx

pete

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login