Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

WMU Game 1 Photos are up, and...

Posted by CowbellGuy 
WMU Game 1 Photos are up, and...
Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: November 17, 2003 04:31PM

...as I duck the onslaught from the purists, you need Flash 6 or better to view photos now.

[geek]
It's a result of many, many hours and many, many fried brain cells tackling the how-to-really-protect-images-on-the-web conundrum. The neat thing about this solution is the jpegs are normal, unwatermarked (except for the small one in the corner, which now becomes theoretically redundant) files in a folder, from which everything else is generated. The images are not embedded in flash movies. So you can show the image to the public with as large and obnoxious a watermark as you like (preventing screenshots from being effective), but have an intact, unwatermarked image available for display or download to authorized users without having to create multiple images or being too obtrusive to the user. I'm 99% certain I've closed all the browser loopholes. Feel free to prove me wrong :-)

Technology is available for license :-D
[/geek]

Desktop pics
Date: November 17, 2003 04:37PM

Oh, and for those of you who want photos for desktops, once I've caught up, I'm going to go back and make desktops for selected images. Besides, using the native 3x2 size ratio this year, they don't scale properly for desktops anyway.

Re: WMU Game 1 Photos are up, and...
Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 17, 2003 09:50PM

Dude, seriously awesome.

Image 20 would be my choice for a desktop... ;-)

Post Edited (11-17-03 21:55)

Posted by: zorak (---.campuslife.cornell.edu)
Date: November 17, 2003 11:13PM

Desktops would be a kick ass idea. Could you do some from past seasons as well?

Please do keep us informed.

Posted by: So '02 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 17, 2003 11:28PM

[Q]
Age wrote
It's a result of many, many hours and many, many fried brain cells tackling the how-to-really-protect-images-on-the-web conundrum. The neat thing about this solution is the jpegs are normal, unwatermarked (except for the small one in the corner, which now becomes theoretically redundant) files in a folder, from which everything else is generated. The images are not embedded in flash movies. So you can show the image to the public with as large and obnoxious a watermark as you like (preventing screenshots from being effective), but have an intact, unwatermarked image available for display or download to authorized users without having to create multiple images or being too obtrusive to the user. I'm 99% certain I've closed all the browser loopholes. Feel free to prove me wrong. [/Q]

pictures... pretty...

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2003 12:09AM

The only annoyance being it now takes 7 seconds for the picture to load, a full 5 of which occur after the new page begins to show with the "Loading..." picture. And this is on a 2+ mbps RoadRunner connection. It might help to do something like progressive loading, where I can see the part of the picture that has loaded. Is that possible in Flash? If not, might this be from the overhead of loading the Flash app? If so, might it be possible to cache it in some way so it doesn't redownload for each picture?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2003 12:29AM

Zorak,

To find past season pictures to download or enjoy click eLynah then click archive then choose the appropriate year and finally click on the camera icon next to the game of interest.

You Mantis. :-}

Post Edited (11-18-03 00:29)

Posted by: zorak (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 18, 2003 03:41AM

im looking for ones cropped & cut properly to desktop demensions, preferably 1024 x 768, but thank you, mantis.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 18, 2003 07:59AM

I've had one of Age's pictures (of Underhill) as my desktop wallpaper for a couple of years. It never fails to catch the eye of any hockey fan.

JH

Date: November 18, 2003 09:10AM

The flash movie is only 14k and should load out of cache after the first time, so that should be a one-time thing. The images themselves are usually around 100k and don't get cached or you could just go into your browser cache to find them. Flash won't do progressive jpegs, but if your connection is actually 2MBps, it would take less than a second to retrieve. Methinks the problem lies elsewhere.

Posted by: Chris Moberg (---.pivot.net)
Date: November 18, 2003 09:13AM

I imagine Age is shooting in rather high spatial resoltion. I do motorsports photography and shoot at 3k x 2k. Generally it is not too bad to take a 3x2 high resolution master and crop/scale it down to a 4x3 computer resolution. You do run the risk of changing the composition of the photo however.

Chris

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 18, 2003 09:13AM

I use software that automatically rotates randomly through all the pictures in a directory (and/or its subdirectories). I've got about 200 of Age's pictures in there. They definitely catch people's attention - hockey fan or not - and give me a chance to spread the college hockey gospel to unwashed Big 12 football fans... B-]

Date: November 18, 2003 09:21AM

Chris Moberg wrote:
I do motorsports photography and shoot at 3k x 2k.
I've been meaning to ask you about that. Noticed things of interest in your e-mail sig. The actual resolution I shoot at is 3008x2000 in Nikon RAW format, which can actually be software interpolated a bit higher, but shooting at ISO 1600-equivalent, lots of downsampling and noise reduction is needed to make them tolerable. I used to crop to 4x3, mainly for desktop purposes, but it definitely compromised the subject at times.You usually get a lot less time to properly compose a shot in hockey, so I end up doing a fair amount of selective cropping, even staying at 3x2. Anyway, speaking of motorsports, for the bored among you...

[age.salsashark.net]

Still wading my way through the 1300 photos froom the vintage weekend at The Glen in my laugh free time laugh

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2003 09:21AM

JH, out of curiosity, which picture of Underhill would that be?

Posted by: Erica (---.IERN.DISA.MIL)
Date: November 18, 2003 09:41AM

What about those of us who don't have Flash? The problem with working for the DoD is that you can't just download any program on to your work computer. So basically I just have to look at the fingerprints?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 18, 2003 09:47AM

Erica wrote:

What about those of us who don't have Flash? The problem with working for the DoD is that you can't just download any program on to your work computer. So basically I just have to look at the fingerprints?

Don't take this the wrong way, but...should you really be looking at Cornell hockey pictures at work, especially if it's at the DoD of all places?

Date: November 18, 2003 10:30AM

[Q]Cowbell Guy

I've been meaning to ask you about that. Noticed things of interest in your e-mail sig. [/Q]

My domain, ACTVIDEO (Applied Computer Techniques in Video), is indicative of my profession as a software developer for the video industry. Although for a number of years I did operate a video production business in the Washington DC area.

Photography is more of a hobby than an avocation. I shoot with a Canon D60 at 3072x2048 36 bit raw. I have the benefit of shooting in better lit environments than you and often work with simulated ISO of 100 or 200. The D60 gets pretty noisy at high gain/ISO (this is one of the things that separates is from a high end pro camera)

Are you using Photoshop for Color Correction and noise reduction? Any specific plug-ins? I am curious that some of your shots seem to have more color balance aberration than others. Does the light in Lynah vary that much in color temperature?

Chris

P.S. Beth and I watched your camera gear in Providence last year

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 18, 2003 10:52AM

Yea, shouldn't you be hunting terrorists or placing bets on the terrorism futures market instead ? :-P

Date: November 18, 2003 11:02AM

I was mostly reffering to the vintagesaab.com bit :) Here ya go...

I'll take shooting racing in good light over dark rinks any day, but you gotta do something in the winter, right?

I'm shooting with a D100 at the moment, but the new D2H has given me serious pause for thought. D100 seems to have a bit less noise at high ISO than the D60, but the D60's slow exposure noise reduction is outstanding. Wouldn't work for hockey though.

The new lights in Lynah, while brighter, suck balls. They do some low-frequency phasing thing that is apparently invisible to the human eye, but quite the opposite at faster shutter speeds. You can take the same shot with the same opening at the same speed pointed at the same spot on the ice 3 times, and you'll get completely different results in each shot:

Anyway, for RAW images, I've tried everything out there, and for workflow, especially when dealing with lots of files, nothing beat the Photoshop RAW plugin in PS7, which is built-in and much better in PS8. Separate luminance smoothing and color noise reduction. Quite nice. It seems the Photoshop 8 upgrade was geared toward digital photography.

Date: November 18, 2003 11:39AM

Ah, vintagesaab.com is my other "persona". I have affection, some might say an affliction, for the old Saab V4 (in particular the Sonett). That’s a nice shot of Randy Cook in his Sonett V4. He campaigns it under Vintage Saab Racing Group (http://www.vintagesaab.com/vsrg) I am a member of that team too, but most of my effort is directed to Vintage Saab Motorsports (as driver and builder)

In the years, 1977-1985 I drove around Ithaca in a orange/red 1973 Sonett.

That is a nasty lighting problem. I would be interested to see some larger images, it might be possible to write a Photshop plug-in to target that type of noise.

Chris

Date: November 18, 2003 12:01PM

Oops screwed up that link

Vintage Saab Racing Group at [www.vintagesaab.com]

I shoot a bunch of Autocross and some Club/Pro Rally.

My A/X car, Yellow Thunder

(that image was shot by Tim Shelmer with a Canon 1D)

I think I will leave the camera behind when we (Beth and I) head out to Ithaca Dec 5-7. That light looks impossible and I am sure to enjoy the games more if I am actively watching and cheering.

Chris

Posted by: Erica (---.IERN.DISA.MIL)
Date: November 18, 2003 04:23PM

It's hard to explain, and if I could explain I wouldn't be allowed to, but I can kind of do both at the same time. nut

Date: November 18, 2003 05:10PM

Age,

Thanks for using the tan eLynah.com as opposed to the blue watermark on the motorsports shots.

Date: November 18, 2003 05:14PM

Erica wrote:

It's hard to explain, and if I could explain I wouldn't be allowed to, but I can kind of do both at the same time. nut

So if you told us you'd have to kill us? ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login