Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Opponents and Others 2023-24

Posted by Iceberg 
Page: Previous123456 7 
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Opponents and Others 2023-24
Posted by: scoop85 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 19, 2024 08:38AM

BearLover
abmarks
chimpfood
CHN has syer as a finalist for the Princeton head coaching job.

Leave a link next time?

For those of you looking, its at [www.collegehockeynews.com]

Also, it doesn't exactly say he's a finalist. It says
" Among those who have interviewed, or were expected to, are Cornell assistant Ben Syer, Michigan assistant Rob Rassey, and Arizona State assistant Dana Borges"

Re: bearlovers question about why Princeton but not Cornell: bearlover, thatd be a good question if syer was offered the job or the first.or second choice. But all this says is that he interviewed, and he's interviewed for plenty of gigs over the years iirc. (Tsk tsk chimpfood for the misleading post).

Maybe the more pertinent question is why is syer still at Cornell, despite interviewing for other gigs frequently over the years? (Someone correct.me.if it hasn't been that often)

Is it because he doesn't want to leave? Or is it because no one will offer.him a HC job? Time will tell
First of all, a more polite and way to start your post would be to say: “here’s the link, if anybody needs,” or something to that effect.

Second, I’m pretty certain this story has been edited. I don’t have the earlier version in front of me (because it’s been edited), but I am 90% sure the earlier version DID say something along the lines of “finalist,” i.e. language that was the same or similar to chimpfood’s.

Yeah, I saw the updated article that said he and a Michigan assistant are supposedly the two finalists (sorry, don’t have the link)

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 19, 2024 09:23AM

abmarks
BearLover
abmarks
chimpfood
CHN has syer as a finalist for the Princeton head coaching job.

Leave a link next time?

For those of you looking, its at [www.collegehockeynews.com]

Also, it doesn't exactly say he's a finalist. It says
" Among those who have interviewed, or were expected to, are Cornell assistant Ben Syer, Michigan assistant Rob Rassey, and Arizona State assistant Dana Borges"

Re: bearlovers question about why Princeton but not Cornell: bearlover, thatd be a good question if syer was offered the job or the first.or second choice. But all this says is that he interviewed, and he's interviewed for plenty of gigs over the years iirc. (Tsk tsk chimpfood for the misleading post).

Maybe the more pertinent question is why is syer still at Cornell, despite interviewing for other gigs frequently over the years? (Someone correct.me.if it hasn't been that often)

Is it because he doesn't want to leave? Or is it because no one will offer.him a HC job? Time will tell
First of all, a more polite and way to start your post would be to say: “here’s the link, if anybody needs,” or something to that effect.

Second, I’m pretty certain this story has been edited. I don’t have the earlier version in front of me (because it’s been edited), but I am 90% sure the earlier version DID say something along the lines of “finalist,” i.e. language that was the same or similar to chimpfood’s.

Touchy touchy. Only bearlover would still feel insulted the one time I don't shit on him.

I was critiquing chimpfoods laziness, not yours bearlover, which is why I mentioned the link immediately after the chimpfood quote.

Bearlover, your question for adamw was said "I’d be curious to hear adamw’s response to the CHN report that Syer is a finalist for the Princeton head coaching job". It was fair to assume you were commenting on chimps post since you used the same language. No reason to believe you had read the original article or that it (might) have been revised, since there's no mention of update or revision in the article header.

Regardless, you're asking a good question if he actually is a true finalist for HC elsewhere.
I knew you were responding to chimp food rather than me. I just thought your phrasing was impolite. I decided to point it out because a lot of your posts have an adversarial tone.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-208.myvzw.com)
Date: April 19, 2024 09:27AM

BearLover
adamw
I should probably just shut up - but I'm not good at that.

I think Ben Syer and Topher are great guys. Neither will be the next coach. Casey Jones is one of my favorite people in hockey, and I think he's a great coach. However, he's only 4 years younger than Coach Schafer - and so it won't be him either.
I’d be curious to hear adamw’s response to the CHN report that Syer is a finalist for the Princeton head coaching job. A few months ago adamw was suggesting Syer would not be the next head coach of Cornell. Why would Princeton be an option, but not Cornell?

To shove words into Adam's mouth, I took his comments to mean that there's a behind-the-scenes heir apparent to Schafer's job. But I'm reading a lot into it.

Date: April 19, 2024 09:31AM

Dafatone
BearLover
adamw

I think Ben Syer and Topher are great guys. Neither will be the next coach. Casey Jones is one of my favorite people in hockey, and I think he's a great coach. However, he's only 4 years younger than Coach Schafer - and so it won't be him either.
I’d be curious to hear adamw’s response to the CHN report that Syer is a finalist for the Princeton head coaching job. A few months ago adamw was suggesting Syer would not be the next head coach of Cornell. Why would Princeton be an option, but not Cornell?

To shove words into Adam's mouth, I took his comments to mean that there's a behind-the-scenes heir apparent to Schafer's job. But I'm reading a lot into it.
Well, he ruled Casey, Syer, and Topher, so I doubt it.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 19, 2024 10:32AM

Dafatone
BearLover
adamw

That's funny, I read exactly the opposite -- when Schafer does eventually retire, Cornell will be a plum job attracting nationwide candidates, and it won't just be "promote the assistant."

Date: April 19, 2024 10:37AM

pfibiger
Dafatone
BearLover
adamw

That's funny, I read exactly the opposite -- when Schafer does eventually retire, Cornell will be a plum job attracting nationwide candidates, and it won't just be "promote the assistant."

That makes sense, too.

Date: April 19, 2024 11:12AM

Dafatone
pfibiger
Dafatone
BearLover
adamw

That makes sense, too.
But I don’t think either of those interpretations makes too much sense.

There isn’t anyone who would be a behind-the-scenes heir apparent that isn’t Casey/Syer/Topher, unless it’s Doug Derraugh, who would be dismissed as a candidate on the same grounds adamw applied to Casey (being only slightly younger than Schafer).

Moreover, while I think a nationwide coaching search is possible, the very strong trend among Cornell’s successful athletics programs has been to promote from within (wrestling, lacrosse, basketball). adamw’s statement that these people will “not be the next coach” was written in no uncertain terms. The only justification for adamw’s level of certainty that would make sense in this context is that adamw has information that Syer would not want a head coaching job, or he simply isn’t cut out to be a head coach. In light of the fact Syer is interviewing for the Princeton position, it appears adamw was wrong. But I’ll let him explain his thinking on here.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2024 12:40PM

BearLover
Dafatone
pfibiger
Dafatone
BearLover
adamw

That makes sense, too.

There isn’t anyone who would be a behind-the-scenes heir apparent that isn’t Casey/Syer/Topher, unless it’s Doug Derraugh, who would be dismissed as a candidate on the same grounds adamw applied to Casey (being only slightly younger than Schafer).

Moreover, while I think a nationwide coaching search is possible, the very strong trend among Cornell’s successful athletics programs has been to promote from within (wrestling, lacrosse, basketball). adamw’s statement that these people will “not be the next coach” was written in no uncertain terms. The only justification for adamw’s level of certainty that would make sense in this context is that adamw has information that Syer would not want a head coaching job, or he simply isn’t cut out to be a head coach. In light of the fact Syer is interviewing for the Princeton position, it appears adamw was wrong. But I’ll let him explain his thinking on here.
Who was promoted from within and successful in basketball?

Posted by: Robb (107.72.164.---)
Date: April 19, 2024 01:28PM

BearLover
Dafatone
pfibiger
Dafatone
BearLover
adamw

That makes sense, too.

Way too much speculation going on. Maybe Adam assumed that someone would hire Syer away from Cornell as a HC and then Cornell would not be able to entice him back? Who knows? There are a million scenarios where Syer does not become Cornell HC, and only a few where he does, so maybe Adam is just playing the odds.

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2024 01:39PM

BearLover
adamw

"CHN's report" - you mean the one I wrote? :)

Date: April 19, 2024 01:44PM

BearLover
Dafatone
pfibiger
Dafatone
BearLover
adamw

That makes sense, too.

There are an awful lot of ridiculous assumptions in there -- and then calling me "wrong" to boot. LOL. How is what Princeton thinks relevant to what Cornell thinks? Has Princeton been a national juggernaut at some point that I don't remember? What's each school's respective situation? What's each school's respective AD background/experience? Etc...

Date: April 19, 2024 02:03PM

adamw
BearLover
Dafatone
pfibiger
Dafatone
BearLover
adamw

That makes sense, too.

There are an awful lot of ridiculous assumptions in there -- and then calling me "wrong" to boot. LOL. How is what Princeton thinks relevant to what Cornell thinks? Has Princeton been a national juggernaut at some point that I don't remember? What's each school's respective situation? What's each school's respective AD background/experience? Etc...

To be fair, we're only a few years from 2028, when Princeton will again rise from its slumber before going back to bed for ten more seasons.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.39.---)
Date: April 19, 2024 03:01PM

Dafatone
To be fair, we're only a few years from 2028, when Princeton will again rise from its slumber before going back to bed for ten more seasons.

+1

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 19, 2024 03:26PM

Dafatone

ah yes, the famous "brood x"

Al DeFlorio
we all have high hopes for jaques.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2024 03:29PM by ugarte.

Date: April 19, 2024 03:28PM

oops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2024 03:29PM by ugarte.

Date: April 19, 2024 04:55PM

Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Dafatone
pfibiger
Dafatone
BearLover
adamw

That makes sense, too.

My point was about promoting from within based on past program success. I wasn’t commenting on how successful or unsuccessful such internal hire would ultimately go on to be. So in terms of basketball, I am referring to Jon Jaques.

Date: April 19, 2024 05:10PM

adamw
BearLover
Dafatone
pfibiger
Dafatone
BearLover
adamw

That makes sense, too.

TBH, my guess is that your conclusion was based on faulty information or faulty assumptions, because you posted a pretty definitive statement of “X, Y, and Z won’t be Cornell’s next head coach” and didn’t offer any justification, and at this point I can’t really understand what this justification could be. I’m not sure if you’re being tight-lipped about it because you’re unable to reveal something you were told in confidence, or if it’s something else.

The way I look at it is:
—Cornell hockey is currently in the midst of an extremely successful period
—Syer has been associate coach throughout this period and for over a decade total
—Syer coaches the defense, which is excellent every season. He is Cornell’s lead recruiter, and recruiting has seemingly been quite good
—Cornell athletics has a history of promoting from within with respect to its most successful programs (including, recently, wrestling, lacrosse, and basketball)
—Syer is clearly willing to be head coach, or else he would not be interviewing at Princeton
—Princeton, which obviously does not have Cornell’s hockey pedigree but which has deep pockets and is willing to spend on athletics, and which is another Ivy (i.e. similarly situated to Cornell in terms of academic/admissions/transfer requirements) clearly thinks highly of him, if he is a “finalist” or “frontrunner” or whatever the article originally said

I take all those things together to suggest there would be a high likelihood that Syer ends up Cornell’s next head coach. No, not above 50%, but much higher than the likelihood of any other individual becoming the next head coach.

I don’t really see why I should think otherwise, but if you would like to explain why I’m very willing to be wrong.

Date: April 19, 2024 05:15PM

BearLover
TBH, my guess is that your conclusion was based on faulty information or faulty assumptions, because you posted a pretty definitive statement of “X, Y, and Z won’t be Cornell’s next head coach” and didn’t offer any justification, and at this point I can’t really understand what this justification could be. I’m not sure if you’re being tight-lipped about it because you’re unable to reveal something you were told in confidence, or if it’s something else.
you really do seem to be answering your own question here but because of an inexplicable underlying hostility or obtuseness didn't notice and kept writing

Date: April 19, 2024 05:27PM

ugarte
BearLover
you really do seem to be answering your own question here but because of an inexplicable underlying hostility or obtuseness didn't notice and kept writing
I mean, I don’t expect adamw to provide us with whatever he’s heard. I just don’t think whatever he’s heard has been borne out as correct. Maybe I’m missing something though.

Posted by: Trotsky (185.169.0.---)
Date: April 19, 2024 06:29PM

At least when I impolitely take issue with Adam it's a matter of his comprehensively-stated argument* and not one suggestive rhetorical off-the-cuff snippet.

Bear, stop making me look fair-minded by comparison.

* albeit one which is an apodictic inanity.

Date: April 19, 2024 06:52PM

Obviously the heir apparent is Adam.

Date: April 20, 2024 12:23AM

BearLover
ugarte
BearLover
I mean, I don’t expect adamw to provide us with whatever he’s heard. I just don’t think whatever he’s heard has been borne out as correct. Maybe I’m missing something though.
Based on what!? Schafer hasn't retired. You think it somehow proves that Syer may replace Schafer because ... he may take a different job? I have no idea what the future holds, but I also don't have adam's sources. You've got nothing! You're arguing based on nothing and convincing yourself that you're winning.

Date: April 20, 2024 08:45AM

ugarte
BearLover
ugarte
BearLover
Based on what!? Schafer hasn't retired. You think it somehow proves that Syer may replace Schafer because ... he may take a different job? I have no idea what the future holds, but I also don't have adam's sources. You've got nothing! You're arguing based on nothing and convincing yourself that you're winning.
We have no idea what the basis was for Adam’s statement. He didn’t give a reason. He didn’t even say, “according to people I’ve talked to.” It could have very well been a gut feeling rather than based on any sort of intel. Does Adam really have a well placed source who knows the inner workings of the Cornell hockey program/athletics department? I don’t know, maybe? Even if he does, circumstances could have changed since Adam heard what he heard. There are lots of reasons Adam could be wrong. Given all the publicly available signs suggest Syer could be the next Cornell coach, and given Adam hasn’t given us any explanation for what he said, I believe what he said could be wrong.

I’m not trying to win anything. I really was just hoping for more information. I think it was pretty telling that three posters on here had wildly different interpretations of Adam’s initial post.

Date: April 20, 2024 11:30AM

There is literally no information that indicates Syer might be the next Cornell head coach. That Syer is interviewing elsewhere when Schafer sometimes suggests that he may be ready to retire soon indicates, if anything, the opposite. You aren't getting more information because adam has done everything but send you a letter with a wax seal that says "i heard this off the record and i'm not telling you my source."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2024 11:33AM by ugarte.

Date: April 20, 2024 12:49PM

wrong thread sorry. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2024 12:49PM by ugarte.

Date: April 20, 2024 01:39PM

ugarte
There is literally no information that indicates Syer might be the next Cornell head coach. That Syer is interviewing elsewhere when Schafer sometimes suggests that he may be ready to retire soon indicates, if anything, the opposite. You aren't getting more information because adam has done everything but send you a letter with a wax seal that says "i heard this off the record and i'm not telling you my source."
My rule for internet forum posting is to assume people are talking out of their ass unless I’m give a reason to assume otherwise. Is “editor of one of the biggest college hockey news websites” enough of a reason to disregard all the publicly available information that I consider to be pointing in the opposite direction? Maybe. Somebody bookmark this thread and we’ll return to it when Schafer retires.

Date: April 20, 2024 02:36PM

BearLover
ugarte
My rule for internet forum posting is to assume people are talking out of their ass unless I’m give a reason to assume otherwise. Is “editor of one of the biggest college hockey news websites” enough of a reason to disregard all the publicly available information that I consider to be pointing in the opposite direction? Maybe. Somebody bookmark this thread and we’ll return to it when Schafer retires.

I believe your problem, clearly, is that you believe "publicly available information" points in the other direction -- when it clearly does nothing of the sort. That you believe it does, is invented in your head. But I think Ben Syer is a great dude, so I really have no interest in going on and on about any of this. It's just very weird that you think what I said has been "borne out as incorrect" - and you're using ... what? exactly as evidence? very bizarre.

Date: April 20, 2024 02:40PM

Trotsky
At least when I impolitely take issue with Adam it's a matter of his comprehensively-stated argument* and not one suggestive rhetorical off-the-cuff snippet.

I feel like I was just insulted - but Trotsky is using Ivy League words, and I only went that other place in town.

Date: April 20, 2024 02:55PM

adamw
BearLover
ugarte

I believe your problem, clearly, is that you believe "publicly available information" points in the other direction -- when it clearly does nothing of the sort. That you believe it does, is invented in your head. But I think Ben Syer is a great dude, so I really have no interest in going on and on about any of this. It's just very weird that you think what I said has been "borne out as incorrect" - and you're using ... what? exactly as evidence? very bizarre.
By “publicly available information” I mean all the stuff I previously said (been associate head coach for long successful period, coaches the defense, leads recruiting, wants to be a head coach, Cornell often hires from within, wife works for the university, etc.). I’m going to drop this point now. I hope he doesn’t get hired by Princeton. I still believe there is a good chance he is our next head coach.

Posted by: Trotsky (185.169.0.---)
Date: April 20, 2024 05:56PM

adamw
Trotsky

I feel like I was just insulted - but Trotsky is using Ivy League words, and I only went that other place in town.

TC3-South Hill is nothing to be ashamed of, Adam.

Date: April 20, 2024 10:32PM

BearLover
adamw
BearLover
ugarte

By “publicly available information” I mean all the stuff I previously said (been associate head coach for long successful period, coaches the defense, leads recruiting, wants to be a head coach, Cornell often hires from within, wife works for the university, etc.). I’m going to drop this point now. I hope he doesn’t get hired by Princeton. I still believe there is a good chance he is our next head coach.

All of your "publicly available information" led you to insist Cornell would be no better than 20th in the Pairwise this year. whistle

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: April 23, 2024 09:51AM

In this opinion column in the BU student newspaper, the writer laments the lack of support from the student body for the school's hockey program.
"The support the team receives from the student body and BU community does not meet the expectations one would expect from such a high-caliber program."

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2024 03:57PM

Our son got paid by BU to work the penalty box and I don't think there was a huge amount of competition for the job. You can't yell or cheer but you have one hell of a view. I think at Lynah you could have charity bidding war for the right to work it.

(He went there for the hotel school. Got recruited by an ex-Cornell hotel prof who'd been a Hobart lacrosse guy early 1970s. In the era when the Cornell side of the sideline got pelted with beer bottles in 1973 or 1974.)

Page: Previous123456 7 
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login