Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Daily Sun column

Posted by CAS 
Cornell Daily Sun column
Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2022 09:18AM

Nice column in today’s Sun re Cornell hockey. Maybe someone can post…

Re: Cornell Daily Sun column
Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: October 12, 2022 09:53AM

Are they still printing editions? I was in town yesterday and couple places where I usually would see them to pick up there were none?

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: October 12, 2022 10:07AM

Is this the one?

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2022 10:24AM

This column is correct: there is something unifying about the students, townies, faculty, and alumni getting together to cheer on the hockey team in such an intimate setting. Between 1996 and 2006 it felt like the energy at Lynah would never die. Between 2007 and 2016 or so, there was a gradual decline in interest in the program. Since 2017 I’ve sensed an uptick in interest again, at least from the students. I really hope the pandemic and the administration’s pandemic policies didn’t quash that uptick.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-212.myvzw.com)
Date: October 12, 2022 10:58AM

BearLover
This column is correct: there is something unifying about the students, townies, faculty, and alumni getting together to cheer on the hockey team in such an intimate setting. Between 1996 and 2006 it felt like the energy at Lynah would never die. Between 2007 and 2016 or so, there was a gradual decline in interest in the program. Since 2017 I’ve sensed an uptick in interest again, at least from the students. I really hope the pandemic and the administration’s pandemic policies didn’t quash that uptick.

I think the cause was smartphones and varying entertainment options among the youths as much as anything else, but I will point out that I sounded some alarms back in 2007 that rink ushers were cracking down on friends of mine for being too loud/mean, even when we were keeping things entirely PG.

Date: October 12, 2022 11:07AM

Tim, that is the column

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2022 12:14PM

upprdeck
Are they still printing editions? I was in town yesterday and couple places where I usually would see them to pick up there were none?
The Daily Sun has evolved from print-centric to online. It now publishes twice a week in print, Tuesdays and Thursdays through the first or second week of December and May: Print schedule 2022-23. There's also an issue published at reunion, and a freshman edition.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2022 11:03PM by billhoward.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2022 12:40PM

Nice column that captures the spirit of Lynah. I already was a big hockey fan when I arrived to campus in the fall of 1981, but as much as I love the Rangers, nothing has ever surpassed the Lynah experience. And we weren’t even particularly successful most of my college years.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2022 10:54AM by scoop85.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2022 12:56AM

Decent article.

Finally, there is the unrivaled sense of school spirit you will find at a Cornell hockey game. There are many other, perhaps better known, college sports programs you may watch on TV. Some that come to mind are large football and basketball programs, such as Ohio State or Alabama Football, or Duke Basketball. While Lynah Rink can only hold a fraction of the spectators that watch any of those programs, I believe the passion and the school spirit shown at each and every game is unmatched.

Ugh. Definitely overselling this. Much as I love Lynah, it's absurd to put it above Duke @cameron or football @michigan, to name a few. I'd guess that he has never attended a bigtime college football game in person - TV doesn't do the atmosphere justice.

Date: October 13, 2022 08:03AM

Unless a current student is a legacy, their sense of Cornell is in the present. If the atmosphere at Lynah Rink in hockey ticked up compared to two years ago, that's a surge. Given what hockey was like in the Covid year, now has to be a better fan experience.

Me, I'm still surprised that Lynah is not full every game. I also like -- love -- that there's a concourse (Bartels) to walk out to between periods.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2022 08:19AM

Lynah is a very different experience now than before Eternal September. And for that matter, even at its most immersive for me in the early 80s I am assured by people from the late 60s that it was only a shadow of its former self.

Creeping Meatballism affects everything, and Lynah was never going to escape. I am glad it had its moment and that I was part of the tail end of it.

Students being students, they will find new ways of expressing that joy, unless they've had the life beaten out of them permanently by the eBâbysitter.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2022 08:23AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: October 13, 2022 08:59AM

Duke is duke.. but if duke had 10 yrs of down play like cornell did i suspect they too would have lost much of the casual fan base.. Lets see what they do now that Coach K is gone.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2022 10:00AM

abmarks
Decent article.

Finally, there is the unrivaled sense of school spirit you will find at a Cornell hockey game. There are many other, perhaps better known, college sports programs you may watch on TV. Some that come to mind are large football and basketball programs, such as Ohio State or Alabama Football, or Duke Basketball. While Lynah Rink can only hold a fraction of the spectators that watch any of those programs, I believe the passion and the school spirit shown at each and every game is unmatched.

Ugh. Definitely overselling this. Much as I love Lynah, it's absurd to put it above Duke @cameron or football @michigan, to name a few. I'd guess that he has never attended a bigtime college football game in person - TV doesn't do the atmosphere justice.
Nah. If I wanted overpriced souvenirs, TV crews, and facetimers, I could attend a game at Cameron or Michigan or I could get the same experience by attending an NFL or NBA game. None of those venues pair intimacy and passion the way Lynah does.

Date: October 13, 2022 11:32AM

BearLover
Nah. If I wanted overpriced souvenirs, TV crews, and facetimers, I could attend a game at Cameron or Michigan or I could get the same experience by attending an NFL or NBA game. None of those venues pair intimacy and passion the way Lynah does.
Every fan wants their team, their venue, their fellow fans to be unique in ways that make you smile today and when you tell stories about the experience, bore your offspring to tears. If the rink or field house is small, we can make fun of a 7,500 seat arena. (We diss the Quinnipiac TD Banknorth / TD Bank / People's United Center for, what, being too comfortable? having enough light for good video? good sight lines for cameras and fans? VIP/booster seating? a big concourse that expands by 300-500 for big games?)

This is the ~50th year of Harvard fans tying a chicken to the nets of Dave Elenbaas '73 – in Boston; not Lynah (no Cantab is that suicidal), as in "Cornell ... farmer ... slow learner" and we've been returning the favor for half a century with fish. Maybe it's time to move on. Probably won't happen. It's tradition. By the way, Elenbaas was chief professional officer at a 300-person Toronto law firm and when he asked the Sun if he could write sports to fill a comm arts requirement, his writing was dazzling. But then, so was Dryden's.

Date: October 13, 2022 02:17PM

BearLover
abmarks
Decent article.

I'm not sure I'm equipped to say Lynah is the single best fan experience out there, but it's just about the only great fan experience I know of that is also a tiny enough arena for every fan to be heard on the ice/court/field.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 13, 2022 02:52PM

There's nothing like winning, a LOT of winning, to ramp up the numbers attending, the excitement of, and the atmosphere enjoyed by fans of a successful hockey team. It's nothing like golf, or tennis, or even baseball! It's been more than 50 years and I'm still amped - I hope current C.U. students are able to attend and enjoy the successes of C.U. hockey - live, not on mini-screens.

Date: October 13, 2022 03:14PM

Dafatone
I'm not sure I'm equipped to say Lynah is the single best fan experience out there, but it's just about the only great fan experience I know of that is also a tiny enough arena for every fan to be heard on the ice/court/field.
My roommate, from Brooklyn, made me laugh when he declared the world's best pizza came out of Brooklyn. An in-law said the best Chinese food ever was in Akron. (Guess where she was from.) I'm from Rochester and we know the world's best burgers and place to hang out after games was Don & Bob's next to Brighton HS.

We all want to believe we in some way were part of the best experience ever. If you were '70, '71` or '72, you had the excitement of the anti-war demonstrations – not to make light of this; the war was a mistake – plus four final-four trips and one or two hockey titles, plus Marinaro, plus the NCAA lacrosse title won on the field, plus the IRA (rowing, not retirement) championship. Plus no final exams in the spring. Could that be the most amazing era -- at least post WW II -- ever?

Three generations of Harvard hockey players, asked their favorite road trip, all say: the Cornell weekend. That makes me feel even better about the game.

Posted by: dag14 (98.38.249.---)
Date: October 13, 2022 03:36PM

Class of 1972. And it was a pretty amazing four years. I definitely didn't appreciate the uniqueness of the experience until I found myself comparing my college years to those of the Cornell students I taught in the 80's, 90's and in this millenium.

Date: October 13, 2022 04:27PM

Yeah, well you had bell-bottoms yet were too early for disco balls in your undergraduate years.

And Woodstock, man. Plus, the Watkins Glen jam in, ah, 1972 I believe.

Date: October 13, 2022 05:35PM

‘73

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2022 06:07PM

billhoward
Dafatone
My roommate, from Brooklyn, made me laugh when he declared the world's best pizza came out of Brooklyn. An in-law said the best Chinese food ever was in Akron. (Guess where she was from.) I'm from Rochester and we know the world's best burgers and place to hang out after games was Don & Bob's next to Brighton HS.
I am not from Rochester, but Abbott's is the world's best frozen custard - Amazing stuff - dozens of flavors of soft serve scooped, not from a machine
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2022 06:07PM by nshapiro.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2022 06:41PM

In all honesty, the best ribs I have ever had were from Somerville, MA. Where I did not come from. And they were made by two guys from Mississippi.

The best soft pretzels were sold outside the American Museum of Natural History on the Upper West Side in December, 1973.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2022 06:43PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2022 07:38PM

[s
nshapiro[/s]]
billhoward
I'm from Rochester and we know the world's best burgers and place to hang out after games was Don & Bob's next to Brighton HS.
I am not from Rochester, but Abbott's is the world's best frozen custard - Amazing stuff - dozens of flavors of soft serve scooped, not from a machine.
Chocolate almond!!! I’m fortunate to have an Abbott’s within walking distance from my home.
Three grandkids graduated from Brighton HS, two more in the pipeline. Go Barons Bruins!

Date: October 13, 2022 07:57PM

Trotsky
In all honesty, the best ribs I have ever had were from Somerville, MA. Where I did not come from. And they were made by two guys from Mississippi.

The best soft pretzels were sold outside the American Museum of Natural History on the Upper West Side in December, 1973.

It was not the best sushi I've had in my life, but I have had damn good sushi in Fargo.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: October 14, 2022 12:38AM

Dafatone
Trotsky

It was not the best sushi I've had in my life, but I have had damn good sushi in Fargo.

For the North Dakota road trip in 2008, two (former?) members of this board convinced me to follow them to a food stand in the Minneapolis airport because they heard it had amazing sushi. (Possibly due to the frequent fresh fish freight flights from Northwest Airlines?)

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: October 14, 2022 12:53AM

upprdeck
Duke is duke.. but if duke had 10 yrs of down play like cornell did i suspect they too would have lost much of the casual fan base.. Lets see what they do now that Coach K is gone.

Duke is duke because of the near endless hype during the peak Dan/Keith ESPN years. You get a weird bald man screaming "it's awesome baybee" enough times on the only thing to put on the tube late at night to enough vapid-headed sports zombies and soon everybody wants to be part of the thing on the teevee too. The Cornell Hockey Line occupies the "legendary" part my mind, but a sliver of a quark of the sports world know anything about it.

I went to Cornell's NCAA basketball tournament game in Syracuse that one year (Albany's ECAC weekend was just down the road), and I hated everything about it in addition to the score. Compared to literally any NCAA Hockey game, I was bowled over by the inane, mindless, over-doneness of it all. Everyone was just mean. Frozen Four games feel like a really big and weird family reunion. That felt like a pissing contest in the back row of a WWE wrestling match.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2022 01:00AM by RichH.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 14, 2022 11:02AM

". . . a pissing contest in the back of a WWE wrestling match?" HAH! The writer is so obviously uninformed and/or untrustworthy. Everyone knows the FRONT row of a WWE wrestling match is the venue for pissing contests!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login