Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NYC area roads, traffic, and construction

Posted by judy 
NYC area roads, traffic, and construction
Posted by: judy (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 24, 2003 02:23PM

Hi all!
Since I've decided to drive instead of fly this weekend, I realized that with my chosen time of departure, I'm going to hit NYC/southern CT Friday afternoon traffic - something that I have experienced one too many times :-( and would prefer to avoid all together.

First question is...is there a website that lists construction in the area and traffic reports?
Second question is...are they still doing construction around the Tapanzee (sp?) Bridge? I haven't taken the bridge route in a couple of years.

I'd prefer to be in PVD around dinner time (i.e. before 8pm) so I can have dinner with the "fam" but I don't want to sit through 2 hours of traffic. And the thought of going up 87->84---> 90 back down to PVD isn't that appealing either.

Re: NYC area roads, traffic, and construction
Posted by: kingpin248 (---.cshl.org)
Date: March 24, 2003 02:33PM

This weekend there was construction in both directions on 287/87 just past the Tappan Zee. It drops to two lanes going eastbound (one westbound).

If you're coming from the DC/MD area, taking the NJ turnpike to the George Washington Bridge seems like a more direct route. That gets you right on I-95.

Boston Traffic Change
Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.caregroup.org)
Date: March 24, 2003 02:51PM

Also for anyone staying with friends in Boston this coming weekend during the tournament, 12 years of construction comes to a dramatic change this week as four lanes of northbound interstate traffic through Boston shifts from above ground to below ground. Below are some useful links:

[www.boston.com]

[www.boston.com]

Posted by: dsr11 (---.watson.ibm.com)
Date: March 24, 2003 03:18PM

There is construction on I 95 in CT from exit 9 or 10 up to exit 15-16. There is ALWAYS a traffic jam in the afternoons on I-95 North from about exit 3 or 4 to exit 15-16 (at least). This is about a 10-15 mile backup, usually from 3:30 to 6:00ish every day, and Friday is worse. 15 (Merrit Parkway) is usually better in the afternoons, though I haven't taken it in a while.

Taking 95 all the way to the GWB may be better that taken the NJ Turnpike or parkway to the Tappan Zee. Unless you hit the Turnpike of parkway early (before 3:30), you'll be sitting for hours before you get to the bridge.

You can check out www.metrocommute.com for construction and stuff, though I haven't found it to be terribly accurate in the past. Should give people a little idea of what they'll hit in the tri-state area.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 24, 2003 05:14PM

I live in eastern PA, and drive up to Boston several times a year, often at rush hour. If you can avoid rush hour in Westchester County and SE CT do so, but if you can't:

The Cross-Westchester Expressway (i.e. I-287 west of the Tappan Zee) where it joins the Thruway has been under construction for years. My experience is the traffic there is usually not that bad at rush hour, despite the construction.

However, I-95 in the CT panhandle is usually an absolute mess at rush hour. I usually take the CWE to the Hutch (exit 9) which becomes the Merritt Pkwy. The Merritt isn't as bad as I-95, though it can get crowded, too, because it's only two lanes.

From the Merritt, to get back to I-95, just after you cross the CT river (the metal grate bridge), there is an exit which is essentially a two-mile spur from the Merritt to I-95. Take that to I-95. The traffic usually isn't bad at all on 95 after that point.

CU in Providence!

JH

Date: March 24, 2003 05:15PM

Correction: the CWE is east of the Tappan Zee, not west.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc3.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: March 24, 2003 05:45PM

Well, I'll keep all this in mind. I just wanted to know if I should start calming myself down now to avoid driving over anyone that pisses me off on the road on Friday.

Generally, on my trips up to Providence, I'll drive (if not a holiday) and leave here at 5:30am to avoid DC, Baltimore, Philly/Wilmington, NYC traffic with the goal being to enter RI by 3pm. Unfortunately, I'd like to get in about half a day's work Friday morning so I can't exactly leave here at 5:30am.

Normally, I do take GWB thru the city because the last time I went on the TappanZee bridge (about 2 years ago), I had to sit in traffic for miles and miles and miles...

This is the one thing I hate about going to Providence...there is no way around NYC...

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2003 05:50PM

Well, if we're really talking miles and miles and hours of traffic, might 81 -> 84 to Worcester actually be quicker? It's not exactly direct, but it's not like you're going through Albany.

And Judy driving over someone? You seemed so peaceful at Jillian's :-D.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 24, 2003 05:52PM

That metal grate bridge crosses the Housatonic River, not the Connecticut. You get to that later on I-95--right after Old Saybrook.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc3.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: March 24, 2003 05:59PM

Well, I may be picking up someone along the way...though I could actually go around and go Garden State Pkwy -> 87 -> 84...

And Fred, just imagine, someone raised on the driving laws of MA (that's right, MA has driving laws!) and forced to commute thru the DC area where anything that comes falling out of the sky (like rain) forces people to stop, scratch their heads, and not know what to do, and while I understand the ******* driving behavior in NY, MA, New England area, there just is no logic down here.

I sat thru Southern CT traffic the day before Thanksgiving once...never again...

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2003 06:53PM

One other thing that might slow you down - getting in and out of NYC was a nightmare last weekend. Every train I got on was delayed for a good half hour right outside of Penn station, and I had a friend get stopped outside of the Lincoln Tunnel for nearly an hour. I suspect it's partly coincidence and partly due to increased security for the war (sweeping the trains and things). I don't know if they'll be too concerned about the Tappan Zee, or even if they bother to do anything that would affect traffic without some credible lead, but you might want to leave even more extra time if at all possible.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.246.98.170.dial1.newyork1.level3.net)
Date: March 25, 2003 10:26AM

The Merritt was a disaster on the way to the Brown game. I made it just after the national anthem. Rush hour traffic with two narrow lanes. Throw in a radar trap or a traffic accident and you'll be there for hours.

And that steel grate bridge over the Housatonic was a thrill ride in the snow after the Yale game.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 25, 2003 10:35AM

Bill R '94 wrote:
And that steel grate bridge over the Housatonic was a thrill ride in the snow after the Yale game.

All-wheel drive actually exacerbates the "thrill." For a real adventure, try it on a motorcycle.

Posted by: Naomi Kerest (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2003 11:08AM

THERE IS A MUCH EASIER WAY TO GO. TAKE RTE 79 TO WHITNEY POINT. THEN TAKE A LEFT ONTO RTE 206. FOLLOW 206 THROUGH GREENE TO BAINBRIDGE AND GET ON INTERSTATE 88 GOING EAST. FOLLOW THIS TO THE ALBANY/SCHENECTADY AREA WHERE YOU WILL GET ON RTE 90 GOING EAST. MAKE SURE TO STAY ON I- 90EAST WHEN IT OVERLAPS WITH I- 87. FROM RTE 90 GET ON 146 S WHICH WILL TAKE YOU INTO PROVIDENCE. WE SPEND HALF THE YEAR IN RI AND GO THIS WAY TO AVOID I-95 ETC..
GO BIG RED!!!!!

Date: March 25, 2003 12:30PM

Yeah, I know. I screwed up. Mea Culpa.

JH

Posted by: rich '91 (---.tnt4.dca5.da.uu.net)
Date: March 26, 2003 12:43AM

see [wcbs880.com] for NYC traffic info.

Having done the NYC (or beyond) trek a couple times a year for many years, depending on the time of day you leave DC, to avoid DC/Baltimore rush hour traffic, you can go through the eastern shore (basically 50 E to 301N)- and reconnect to I-95 in Delaware near the Del Mem Bridge. little longer mileage wise but significantly less traffic.

Also, if you ever do take the I-95 tunnels underneath Baltimore, always take the Harbor Tunnel (I-895) - there's almost never a delay, you avoid downtown Baltimore, and it does reconnect to I-95 on the south side - even though the signs at the split going south don't say so.

wish i could go to providence this weekend - but a friend's getting married on saturday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login