Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Generic Off Season Thread

Posted by Trotsky 
Page:  1 23456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Generic Off Season Thread
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 20, 2012 03:56PM

Because I'm sick of seeing that score whenever anybody does a Reply.

Re: Generic Off Season Thread
Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-5.myvzw.com)
Date: April 20, 2012 04:10PM

I demand the name brand product. Dispense as written.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 20, 2012 05:27PM

Grosenick returning to Union for junior season.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2012 05:34PM

That's not the name I was looking for. But good for him.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 20, 2012 06:57PM

Hey, no fair! How can I take a generic thread off topic?

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 20, 2012 07:01PM

KeithK

The opposite of a generic offseason thread would be a specific season thread. I'm not exactly sure what that would be, but good luck.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 20, 2012 09:29PM

jtn27
KeithK

The opposite of a generic offseason thread would be a specific season thread. I'm not exactly sure what that would be, but good luck.
Maybe I'll have to post some relevant information about next season here come November.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 20, 2012 09:33PM

marty
I demand the name brand product. Dispense as written.
Here you go.

Date: April 21, 2012 12:35AM

KeithK
jtn27
KeithK

Maybe I'll have to post some relevant information about next season here come November.

I was thinking more along the lines of talking about a specific game from this past season, but I guess that works too.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: April 23, 2012 12:25PM

I was curious about the reasoning behind a comment made in a recent USCHO article about Penn State's transition to NCAA Division I.

Jim Connelly
Penn State will play a season as an independent and will not be eligible for NCAA tournament play, but Guy Gadowsky’s team will be playing against the big boys for the first time in the school’s history.

Why will Penn State be ineligible next year? I doubt many think that they could actually achieve an at-large bid, but I was wondering which rule precludes even the opportunity.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: April 23, 2012 01:38PM

Aaron M. Griffin
I was curious about the reasoning behind a comment made in a recent USCHO article about Penn State's transition to NCAA Division I.

Jim Connelly
Penn State will play a season as an independent and will not be eligible for NCAA tournament play, but Guy Gadowsky’s team will be playing against the big boys for the first time in the school’s history.

Why will Penn State be ineligible next year? I doubt many think that they could actually achieve an at-large bid, but I was wondering which rule precludes even the opportunity.

The NCAA requires teams moving to Division I to undergo a 2-year "transition" period where they are ineligible for NCAA post-season play. It happened when RIT moved to D1 (and the same is happening with RIT's women's team beginning this season).

RIT plans to play a Division I schedule beginning in the 2012–2013 season but will not play a full-league schedule. In 2013–2014, the Tigers would play a College Hockey America schedule, and in 2014–2015, RIT would be eligible for NCAA post-season play.

From the same article, it seems the CHA women's league is adding RIT, Penn State, and Lindenwood to the current membership of Syracuse, Niagara, Mercyhurst, and RMU. No BTHC in Women's Hockey, thanks to the lack of UM & MSU teams. Lindenwood is in St. Charles, Missouri, in case you were wondering as much as I was. They played their first D-1 schedule this past season.

(edit: Niagara announced this spring they are discontinuing their women's program.)
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 01:51PM by RichH.

Date: April 23, 2012 01:48PM

It's not often around here that somebody provides a straight answer to a direct question. That was kind of unsettling.

Date: April 23, 2012 01:55PM

Trotsky
It's not often around here that somebody provides a straight answer to a direct question. That was kind of unsettling.

Sorry, I forgot to be in off-season mode. Here:

They should make a movie about the Burr-Hamilton duel. It should be titled anything but "The Duel."

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 23, 2012 01:59PM

RichH
Aaron M. Griffin

Jim Connelly

The NCAA requires teams moving to Division I to undergo a 2-year "transition" period where they are ineligible for NCAA post-season play. It happened when RIT moved to D1 (and the same is happening with RIT's women's team beginning this season).

RIT plans to play a Division I schedule beginning in the 2012–2013 season but will not play a full-league schedule. In 2013–2014, the Tigers would play a College Hockey America schedule, and in 2014–2015, RIT would be eligible for NCAA post-season play.

From the same article, it seems the CHA women's league is adding RIT, Penn State, and Lindenwood to the current membership of Syracuse, Niagara, Mercyhurst, and RMU. No BTHC in Women's Hockey, thanks to the lack of UM & MSU teams. Lindenwood is in St. Charles, Missouri, in case you were wondering as much as I was. They played their first D-1 schedule this past season.

(edit: Niagara announced this spring they are discontinuing their women's program.)

I recall RIT was also not eligible for Atlantic Hockey's conference tournament in their first season as a full member (second year in Div. 1). Was that a league rule?

Another question, does the Big Ten get an autobid in their first year?

Date: April 23, 2012 02:10PM

nyc94
Another question, does the Big Ten get an autobid in their first year?

This page: [www.collegehockeynews.com]

The NCAA mandates that a conference receives an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament if it exists for at least two years and has at least six teams.

And this one: [www.ncaa.com]

The recommendation includes both the establishment of the inaugural Big Ten Men’s Ice Hockey Tournament in March of 2014, with the winner earning the conference’s automatic bid to the NCAA Men’s Ice Hockey Championship

are both non-definitive enough to not exactly answer the question. I can't remember what happened with the inception of MAAC/AHA and CHA, and am done researching for now, because of a silly thing like work.

Date: April 23, 2012 02:27PM

RichH
The NCAA requires teams moving to Division I to undergo a 2-year "transition" period where they are ineligible for NCAA post-season play.

What's the logic behind that rule? I highly doubt that a first or second year DI program could make the playoffs, but if they were good enough they should be eligible.

Date: April 23, 2012 02:35PM

jtn27
RichH
The NCAA requires teams moving to Division I to undergo a 2-year "transition" period where they are ineligible for NCAA post-season play.

What's the logic behind that rule? I highly doubt that a first or second year DI program could make the playoffs, but if they were good enough they should be eligible.

There are probably several reasons for it. One that comes to mind is to prevent teams from just jumping up and down between the Divisions for short periods of time based on their current talent level.

Date: April 23, 2012 02:35PM

jtn27
RichH

Not sure, but IIRC a consequence of the rule when RIT elevated was that games against RIT did not count towards PWR because the opponent was not tournament-eligible.

Is Penn State going to be ineligible for the BTHC tournament?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 02:35PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 23, 2012 02:50PM

Trotsky
jtn27
RichH

Not sure, but IIRC a consequence of the rule when RIT elevated was that games against RIT did not count towards PWR because the opponent was not tournament-eligible.

I skimmed through the NCAA rules and it sounds like a team does not have to be eligible for the NCAA tournament to participate in a conference tournament. However, if an ineligible team wins the conference championship then the conference does not have an autobid for that year and all other teams are considered at-large. Maybe this is why Atlantic Hockey kept RIT out of their conference championship in their second year as no AH team was likely to get an at-large bid.

edit:
NCAA
31.3.4.2 Requirements—National Collegiate Championship. [#] To be eligible for automatic qualifi-
cation in a National Collegiate Championship, a member conference must meet the following general require-
ments: (Adopted: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)
(a) Have at least six active members that sponsor the applicable sport in any division (Note: A provisional
member in the process of becoming an NCAA member cannot be used to meet the requisite number.);
(b) The six active members must have conducted conference competition together for the preceding two
years in the applicable sport;
(c) There shall be no waivers of the two-year waiting period; and
(d) Any new member added to a conference that is eligible for an automatic bid shall be immediately eligible
to represent the conference as the automatic qualifier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 03:10PM by nyc94.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2012 03:03PM

nyc94
Trotsky
jtn27
RichH

I skimmed through the NCAA rules and it sounds like a team does not have to be eligible for the NCAA tournament participate in a conference tournament. However, if an ineligible team wins the conference championship then the conference does not have an autobid for that year and all other teams are considered at-large. Maybe this is why Atlantic Hockey kept RIT out of their conference championship in their second year as no AH team was likely to get an at-large bid.

Thanks for answering, Rich. Also, I doubt that Penn State will win the B1G Hockey Championship its first year. It would be interesting if they won. It would seem like a huge snub to deny Penn State entry into the national tournament if they pulled it off as unlikely as it is that they will. So, I doubt that it will be an issue. I was curious about next season because it seems like Penn State has created a schedule that has at least some PWR potential if Penn State can manage a few upsets with Michigan State, RIT, Union, and Wisconsin announced as opponents already.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: April 24, 2012 12:27PM

I refuse to remind others and myself of the results of a particular game that appears in the subject line of the previous thread where we discussed future ECAC venues, so, I moved the conversation to here. Adam Wodon had this to offer for where the ECACs should move: Lake Placid.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-213-42.myvzw.com)
Date: April 24, 2012 01:43PM

AW
but at least the brand name "Lake Placid" — and the "Herb Brooks 1980 Olympic Arena" — can stand on equal and proud footing with "Detroit's Joe Louis Arena", "St. Paul's Xcel Energy Center" and "Boston Garden."

Adam, what have you been smoking, my friend? No F'ing way!!

AW
Yes it's hard to get to, yes hotels can be tough to secure. So what. Work it out.

I'll deal with it just like I did when it was in LP the last time.... Stay home or go elsewhere... Watching the HE playoffs on TV make them appear to be a much better option. Better hockey, better venue, and a great city. It's hard to not make that choice. I've been leaning in that direction anyway. An ECACHL move to LP will seal the deal for me.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2012 08:06PM

No, no ,no no, no. So what we need is a place that looks good on our resume? WTF for? So we can stand up to North Dakota? The best, and only, way is to win. Look, we are never going to be them, nor should we try. We need a place where everyone can go, that means families, not AC; and where everyone can get to, meaning not LP. It's great for Clk and SLU, but for the rest of us, any of the others are easier. What about people who want to fly back, what about our alumni base, they aren't going to go there.

We'd do all of that just so when we talk to UND we sound good? Forget about it. Pick a place easy to get to, easy to stay at, both for singles and families. Forget about the prestige, we are never going to have it, so just keep it simple. By the way what's the reformed WCHA going to do? They are probably facing the same problems we've gone through. Let's see how they work it out. There will be 3 major conferences, 2, and maybe 3, that are a step down. Accept it for what it is, enjoy it for what it is, and make it so that those of us who want to enjoy it, can enjoy it.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2012 08:56PM

Jim Hyla
No, no ,no no, no. So what we need is a place that looks good on our resume? WTF for? So we can stand up to North Dakota? The best, and only, way is to win. Look, we are never going to be them, nor should we try. We need a place where everyone can go, that means families, not AC; and where everyone can get to, meaning not LP. It's great for Clk and SLU, but for the rest of us, any of the others are easier. What about people who want to fly back, what about our alumni base, they aren't going to go there.

We'd do all of that just so when we talk to UND we sound good? Forget about it. Pick a place easy to get to, easy to stay at, both for singles and families. Forget about the prestige, we are never going to have it, so just keep it simple. By the way what's the reformed WCHA going to do? They are probably facing the same problems we've gone through. Let's see how they work it out. There will be 3 major conferences, 2, and maybe 3, that are a step down. Accept it for what it is, enjoy it for what it is, and make it so that those of us who want to enjoy it, can enjoy it.
Steve Hagwell's backyard?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2012 10:18PM

Jim Hyla

We'd do all of that just so when we talk to UND we sound good? Forget about it. Pick a place easy to get to, easy to stay at, both for singles and families.
I loved Lake Placid, but I have to agree with Jim. Just move it back to Albany -- it's obvious, simple, and fair. If Union continues to be good or RPI ever returns from the dark side of the moon they'll get a good walk-up. Even in years neither makes it they'll still do better there than any of the other choices.

Posted by: adamw (---.bms.com)
Date: April 25, 2012 09:25AM

I've been smoking the same thing for 10 years. My opinion has never changed :)

Date: April 25, 2012 09:37AM

Jim Hyla

We'd do all of that just so when we talk to UND we sound good? Forget about it. Pick a place easy to get to, easy to stay at, both for singles and families. Forget about the prestige, we are never going to have it, so just keep it simple.

You say we'll never have the prestige - yet in the other paragraph, you say the only way to get it is to win. So - then - it's still possible, by that logic. At least to boost it somewhat.

If you say "just win" - it suggests that ECAC coaches are inferior. But that isn't true. It's the obstacles. Some of which will never change, of course, i.e. the academic differences, smaller schools, etc... But coaches will tell you that they need the "brand" of the ECAC to be out there in order to compete for recruits. That directly ties into winning. The "brand" suffered, obviously, by not being on TV. Another way the brand would improve is by having its name associated with Lake Placid. That's my premise. And I do think it would be very useful in that regard.

I understand and acknowledge all of the other points. No one has it worse than me :) Atlantic City is 75 minutes from my door. Lake Placid is 6 hours. It's worth it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 09:40AM by adamw.

Date: April 25, 2012 12:14PM

adamw
Jim Hyla

We'd do all of that just so when we talk to UND we sound good? Forget about it. Pick a place easy to get to, easy to stay at, both for singles and families. Forget about the prestige, we are never going to have it, so just keep it simple.

You say we'll never have the prestige - yet in the other paragraph, you say the only way to get it is to win. So - then - it's still possible, by that logic. At least to boost it somewhat.

If you say "just win" - it suggests that ECAC coaches are inferior. But that isn't true. It's the obstacles. Some of which will never change, of course, i.e. the academic differences, smaller schools, etc... But coaches will tell you that they need the "brand" of the ECAC to be out there in order to compete for recruits. That directly ties into winning. The "brand" suffered, obviously, by not being on TV. Another way the brand would improve is by having its name associated with Lake Placid. That's my premise. And I do think it would be very useful in that regard.

I understand and acknowledge all of the other points. No one has it worse than me :) Atlantic City is 75 minutes from my door. Lake Placid is 6 hours. It's worth it.

Why need we become complacent with the level of success that the ECAC has? ECAC results during the 2012 NCAAs were fairly impressive. Union got into the Frozen Four and Cornell knocked off a team that many viewed as a favorite for a national title going into the tournament. Cornell was arguably an ill-timed, broken stick away from making the Frozen Four. I know that it requires more than one season to establish a trend, but I feel somewhat assured the Cornell, Sucks, and Union have a chance at being competitive next season. If RPI can right their course, then that would be one-third of the ECAC. The Ivies have become more competitive with the scholarship programs with their competitive financial aid offers. Why pretend it is like what it once was when it clearly is not? The ECAC has a chance to reassert itself as relevant during the coming transitional period. The ECAC should be able to pass WCHA Lite and Atlantic Hockey. Perhaps, I am an optimist about this. Winning is the only way to increase the appeal of our conference, that's a given. However, we cannot tie that sentiment with, "well, this is the best it will ever be." Also, I think Adam commented once that winning the ECAC was not "the thing" it once was. There's one certain way to make it "a thing" again and that is national success. I would counter that I was there in 2010, my senior year, when Cornell claimed its twelfth ECAC title and, certainly, it felt like a great accomplishment.

I am somewhat agnostic about Lake Placid. I would love to see Cornell play in Herb Brooks Arena, but all the problems that members on here have mentioned make me somewhat indifferent. I will go wherever the ECAC Championships are held on only the condition that Cornell is playing in them. However, Adam, you point out that the ECAC brand suffered by not being on television. I agree. Sadly, there are few outlets available that will air the ECAC Championships left (B1G on BTN, Hockey East on NBC Sports, and NCHC on CBS Sports) with the geographic breadth that the conference would need to rebrand itself. Also, would Lake Placid be the best locale for television exposure? Which networks would be willing to travel to what most describe as a helplessly remote location to broadcast the ECAC Championships? I think that Lake Placid might present unforeseen issues with television exposure.

I am not sure if the location of our tournament has much to do with our brand or how others view the ECAC. I might be wrong. I have friends who are CCHA and Hockey East fans and they seemed to think AC seemed like an interesting place to host the tournament. They also did not react with condescension about when it was held in Albany because it makes sense for the geographic footprint of the conference. These comments were made with no air of superiority. I know that this might not be the sentiments of recruits or administrators from other conferences. I am just curious if the location of the ECAC Championships is as much of an issue for others without the Conference as we think within the Conference. It seems like it is mostly ECAC fans who are upset and self-deprecatingly judgmental about the location of the championships.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-13.myvzw.com)
Date: April 25, 2012 12:17PM

adamw
Grows wild in the Adirondacks?

On a more serious note, why does Bridgeport draw so well? Didn't the Union final draw better than BC in Worcester?

Mass-Lowell?

Date: April 25, 2012 12:20PM

Don't be too agnostic about Lake Placid if the weather is bad. You'll need to say your prayers that you don't slide off the road.

Date: April 25, 2012 01:31PM

marty
On a more serious note, why does Bridgeport draw so well? Didn't the Union final draw better than BC in Worcester?

Mass-Lowell?

Bridgeport has drawn well solely because, in the 3 years it has hosted, the teams there have included Yale, Union, Lowell and Vermont ... all of which brought a ton of people there. If the bracket were BC-Miami-Duluth-Northern Michigan - no one would've been there.

Date: April 25, 2012 01:41PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Why need we become complacent with the level of success that the ECAC has?

Not sure if you were referring to me, but ... not becoming complacent at all. The opposite, actually. That's why I said the ECAC should seize the momentum, and do something that will help even further.

BTW - Cornell has been even closer to the FF a bunch of times in the last 10 years - so using them as a yardstick is not saying much. Cornell has always been the standard bearer, sometimes by itself. Getting Union to the FF is the only thing different about this year compared to anything else in the last 10 years. Not much of a difference. There's no question that the ECAC has been "competitive" as a whole over the last decade, so I don't see that as an issue.

The ECAC should be able to pass WCHA Lite and Atlantic Hockey.

I don't think there's any question that the ECAC will be above those two in future years, but I don't see that as the point of this discussion.

I think Adam commented once that winning the ECAC was not "the thing" it once was. There's one certain way to make it "a thing" again and that is national success.

That is not the reason why I said it wasn't a big deal. I don't perceive winning the ECACs as a huge thing unto itself, if NCAA success doesn't follow. In more parochial times, "the ECACs" was practically held in the same esteem as the national championship. Just like winning a Big Ten football title was to people. It's not the same anymore. It has nothing to do with the ECAC per se - it's the same for any conference in any sport these days.

Also, would Lake Placid be the best locale for television exposure? Which networks would be willing to travel to what most describe as a helplessly remote location to broadcast the ECAC Championships? I think that Lake Placid might present unforeseen issues with television exposure.

I believe a company like CBSCS would be more willing to broadcast the event from Lake Placid than from Albany. That is just a theory though.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 25, 2012 02:18PM

adamw
I believe a company like CBSCS would be more willing to broadcast the event from Lake Placid than from Albany. That is just a theory though.

On what basis - that they'd get to say "Herb Brooks" and talk about the 1980 miracle on ice a few times?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: April 25, 2012 02:31PM

Beeeej
adamw

On what basis - that they'd get to say "Herb Brooks" and talk about the 1980 miracle on ice a few times?

Believe it or not, from my experience, yes.

Date: April 25, 2012 02:40PM

I was surprised that it did well this year compared to BC with Union and Mass-Lowell. Yale was more predictable.

Date: April 25, 2012 03:29PM

adamw
Beeeej
adamw

If we're talking about TV coverage, wouldn't Lake Placid, as a remote location, be more expensive to broadcast from?

Date: April 25, 2012 03:41PM

Trotsky
adamw
Beeeej
adamw

If we're talking about TV coverage, wouldn't Lake Placid, as a remote location, be more expensive to broadcast from?

Sure, but it's all worth the expense. Go ahead, say "Herb Brooks" out loud. Try it just once, and tell me that's not worth thousands of dollars in travel expense, overtime, and telecom equipment investment.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 03:41PM by Beeeej.

Date: April 25, 2012 04:26PM

Beeeej
Sure, but it's all worth the expense. Go ahead, say "Herb Brooks" out loud. Try it just once, and tell me that's not worth thousands of dollars in travel expense, overtime, and telecom equipment investment.

mock if you must - I'm just telling you like it is. There are usually crews all over - and there would not be additional costs for those things.

Also - some buildings have union regulations that make broadcasting more expensive - something Lake Placid would not.

Date: April 25, 2012 04:26PM

marty
I was surprised that it did well this year compared to BC with Union and Mass-Lowell. Yale was more predictable.

BC typically does not draw big crowds.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 25, 2012 05:36PM

I just don't know what to say, but that won't stop me from trying.:-}We did LP once, a few times actually, and I don't see how it was some tremendous help back then. If the coaches were to say that it make their recruiting that much easier, I'd go along with it in a heartbeat. But if that were the case we wouldn't be discussing this, it would already be a done deal, wouldn't it? Why would the schools not be screaming, "Let's get back to LP.", if they felt it was so much better? All I've read is that they were ones to say no, I guess because of the sheet size. I just can't believe that a prospect would be turned to the ECAC because of LP, I just can't, can't can't. They will go with the coach that inspires them, assuming finances, facilities, etc. are up to snuff.

No, I just can't believe that the name LP is so strong that we'll get players because of it. Sorry.

Adam, I'd never imply that ECAC coaches are inferior. No that's why we lost a couple to other conferences, because they are good. Now why did they leave? Was Providence that much better than Union? He probably got more money, Union couldn't or wouldn't match it, felt that it would be easier to get students admitted, and easier to keep them in school, maybe PU has better facilities, I don't know. Why PSU? I'm sure the money is better, facilities are better, easier to get admissions, more athletic prestige. But none of the coaches left because we were in Albany, or AC, instead of LP. Those schools have things that we'll never have, and we can't match them, never. We have to do it another way, but I just don't see that LP adds that much, if any; and the negatives far out-way the positives, IMO.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2012 06:07PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Why need we become complacent with the level of success that the ECAC has? ECAC results during the 2012 NCAAs were fairly impressive. Union got into the Frozen Four and Cornell knocked off a team that many viewed as a favorite for a national title going into the tournament. Cornell was arguably an ill-timed, broken stick away from making the Frozen Four. I know that it requires more than one season to establish a trend, but I feel somewhat assured the Cornell, Sucks, and Union have a chance at being competitive next season. If RPI can right their course, then that would be one-third of the ECAC. The Ivies have become more competitive with the scholarship programs with their competitive financial aid offers. Why pretend it is like what it once was when it clearly is not?
I don't think it's realistic to say that things are categorically different now than they were, say, five or ten years ago, based on the fact that the ECAC had one good year in the NCAA tournament. Maybe things will continue to improve, sure, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. This year's good showing notwithstanding, it's still 22 seasons and counting since an ECAC team even played in the championship game.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-250-213.myvzw.com)
Date: April 25, 2012 07:36PM

adamw

I know... At least you're consistent, my friend. No offense intended. We'll just agree to disagree on this one. All is good!!

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-250-213.myvzw.com)
Date: April 25, 2012 07:49PM

I will say this, LP is the only ECAC tournament location where I can recall a constant drone of statements that it's a "WONDERFUL PLACE TO HOLD THIS TOURNAMENT" from the media and the league officials. That tells me that they don't really believe it and their trying to convince the world.

For example, when it was in Boston before the ECAC & HE split, nobody wasted any time bragging about Boston being a great place to have the finals. They didn't have to make such claims. Why? Because it was!! No promotion was necessary!! And no, I am not proposing that we move back to Boston. We all know why that can't/won't happen. But, at the time that the tournament was held there, it was a terrific site. LP? Never!!

-Ned Harkness

Date: April 25, 2012 08:40PM

redice
I will say this, LP is the only ECAC tournament location where I can recall a constant drone of statements that it's a "WONDERFUL PLACE TO HOLD THIS TOURNAMENT" from the media and the league officials. That tells me that they don't really believe it and their trying to convince the world.

For example, when it was in Boston before the ECAC & HE split, nobody wasted any time bragging about Boston being a great place to have the finals. They didn't have to make such claims. Why? Because it was!! No promotion was necessary!! And no, I am not proposing that we move back to Boston. We all know why that can't/won't happen. But, at the time that the tournament was held there, it was a terrific site. LP? Never!!

By that logic, why isn't anyone claiming AC is wonderful?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 25, 2012 10:10PM

jtn27
redice

No one can gild that turd.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2012 10:36PM

adamw
Another way the brand would improve is by having its name associated with Lake Placid. That's my premise. And I do think it would be very useful in that regard.
1980 is ancient history. This is a pipe dream. Play the games where people can easily go to see them.

Date: April 26, 2012 01:11AM

adamw
marty

BC typically does not draw big crowds.

That's too bad.

My recollection is that they drew will in Albany in 1998. Same memory of BC in 2003 at Providence when we beat them in OT.

Ancient history?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 07:08AM by marty.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-251-32.myvzw.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 07:26AM

jtn27
redice

I don't know...You'll have to ask the ECACHL office. Tactics change, you know.

It's just an observation that I made while the tourney was in LP... I didn't buy it (that it was great location for the tourney) then and I don't buy it now. I just considered all that talk to be propaganda.

Date: April 26, 2012 08:29AM

redice
For example, when it was in Boston before the ECAC & HE split, nobody wasted any time bragging about Boston being a great place to have the finals.
That's actually not true. People waxed rhapsodic about the wonders of Boston and the Garden until you'd swear Doris Kearns Goodwin was blowing them under the table.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-14.myvzw.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 11:39AM

Trotsky
redice
For example, when it was in Boston before the ECAC & HE split, nobody wasted any time bragging about Boston being a great place to have the finals.
That's actually not true. People waxed rhapsodic about the wonders of Boston and the Garden until you'd swear Doris Kearns Goodwin was blowing them under the table.

Date: April 26, 2012 12:14PM

More appropriate:

Date: April 26, 2012 01:11PM

If the difficulty in getting to Lake Placid was such a problem, why was attendance in Lake Placid consistently higher than Albany?

Listed below, attendance for the semifinal (where possible) / final... Obviously, the years Cornell was in the final positively affected attendance in both places in just about the same way ... though for Albany, that only mattered early on - not in later years. None of those Lake Placid finals were ever nearly as bad as Albany's worst years. And this is in an 8500-seat arena, so it looks better -- something TV is interested in. NESN broadcast a few of those years, without issue - though with local production companies.

1993: ---- / 7867
1994: ---- / 6316
1995: ---- / 6562
1996: ---- / 8300
1997: ---- / 8081
1998: ---- / 5289
1999: ---- / 8469
2000: 5389 / 6790
2001: 4990 / 6256
2002: 5422 / 6518

2003: 6936 / 8296
2004: 5641 / 6489
2005: 7580 / 8637
2006: 6255 / 7093
2007: 4484 / 5565
2008: 5074 / 4851
2009: 3517 / 4857
2010: ???? / 6505

2011: 3351 / 4126
2012: 3462 / 4131

Date: April 26, 2012 01:33PM

adamw
If the difficulty in getting to Lake Placid was such a problem, why was attendance in Lake Placid consistently higher than Albany?

2000: 5389 / 6790
2001: 4990 / 6256
2002: 5422 / 6518

2003: 6936 / 8296
2004: 5641 / 6489
2005: 7580 / 8637
2006: 6255 / 7093

Attendance in Albany certainly declined in recent years. But it's hard to see how you can look at the last three years in Lake Placid, and the first four in Albany, and say that attendance was "consistently" higher in the former than in the latter. That's especially true when you take into account the fact that Cornell was in Lake Placid the last three years the tournament was there, yet attendance was significantly higher for Cornell's appearances in Albany in 2003, 2005, and 2006 (ETA: and Union and RPI weren't there in those three years to skew the numbers to local fans).

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 01:35PM by Beeeej.

Date: April 26, 2012 01:42PM

Nice cherry picking of data ... are you a lawyer or something?

Cornell was there - but 2003 and 2005 are equivalent in fan interest to 1996 and 1997 ... Attendance didn't wane in Lake Placid because it was Lake Placid. Attendance waned in Lake Placid because not as many Cornell fans went in those years as in 1996 and 1997.

Attendance waned in Albany at a faster clip.

And good job not including 1999 in your LP cherry picking :)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 01:45PM by adamw.

Date: April 26, 2012 01:51PM

adamw
Nice cherry picking of data ... are you a lawyer or something?

Cornell was there - but 2003 and 2005 are equivalent in fan interest to 1996 and 1997 ... Attendance didn't wane in Lake Placid because it was Lake Placid. Attendance waned in Lake Placid because not as many Cornell fans went in those years as in 1996 and 1997.

Attendance waned in Albany at a faster clip.

And good job not including 1999 in your LP cherry picking :)

First of all, 2003 felt like our year, but in the moment, 2002 felt like our year, too - mostly because 2003 hadn't happened yet. There was plenty of enthusiasm for Cornell being there, and being back in the title game - and unless people on this board are willing to come forward and say, "I wasn't excited about Cornell hockey in 2002, so I didn't go," I simply and straightforwardly doubt your premise.

Accuse me of cherry-picking all you want, but it's quite obvious to me and everyone else that attendance was at one level in Lake Placid, then after the tournament was moved to Albany, it was at a higher level. I didn't say that attendance was down because it was in Lake Placid, I simply said it was lower in Lake Placid for the few years before Albany, and higher in Albany for the few years after Lake Placid.

Your explanation for that is basically "Attendance was down because fewer people went."

Ya think?

- Steve Worona

Date: April 26, 2012 01:57PM

Say what you will - but Lake Placid's numbers are higher than Albany's numbers - even with two big bumps caused by high enthusiasm over Cornell's 2003 and 2005 seasons.

I don't see how you can look at those two sets of numbers and conclude that people stayed away from Lake Placid because of its difficulty in getting there - or for reasons that demonstrably outweigh Albany's negatives.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.sub-174-252-1.myvzw.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 02:07PM

I don't want to take sides or get involved in this discussion beyond noting that every year the tournament was in Lake Placid one or both of Clarkson and St. Lawrence was there. They had far fewer appearances in Albany.

Date: April 26, 2012 02:10PM

adamw
Say what you will - but Lake Placid's numbers are higher than Albany's numbers - even with two big bumps caused by high enthusiasm over Cornell's 2003 and 2005 seasons.

I don't see how you can look at those two sets of numbers and conclude that people stayed away from Lake Placid because of its difficulty in getting there - or for reasons that demonstrably outweigh Albany's negatives.

Fine, then let's answer your actual question: "If the difficulty in getting to Lake Placid was such a problem, why was attendance in Lake Placid consistently higher than Albany?"

Because either Clarkson or St. Lawrence was always there.

And because Lake Placid made their entire town become the ECAC tournament for three days every year - and hundreds of locals went to the games because that's what was going on that weekend. Mostly, Albany locals couldn't care less unless RPI and Union are there.

Lake Placid locals have no difficulty and no major time commitment getting there, no issue with absurdly high hotel prices, no problem with draconian hotel cancellation policies that could cost them hundreds of dollars if their team of choice doesn't win their quarterfinal round, and no need to wait for an hour to get a table at one of the five restaurants worth eating in. We did. And we do. Lake Placid is a magical hockey wonderland, and I pooped rainbows and danced jigs with cartoon bluebirds on my shoulders every time I went there for the tournament, but I still hated what was required of me to get there and be there.

So if a difference - and an arguable one, at that - in attendance because of local interest is worth it to the ECACHL to move the tournament back to Lake Placid, despite the horrorshow that it means for the actual fans of the actual teams that will be playing there, then have at it. If Lake Placid's Chamber of Commerce comes through with a financial guarantee that makes Albany's look like change from a shoeshine, marvelous, let's grab the brass ring and suck up our objections to the Olympic sheet. But let's not pretend that a Lake Placid tournament is a panacea for all that ails the ECACHL, or that we should get down on our hands and knees and beg them to take us back after we screwed them.

- Steve Worona

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 02:12PM by Beeeej.

Date: April 26, 2012 02:17PM

So if a difference - and an arguable one, at that - in attendance because of local interest is worth it to the ECACHL to move the tournament back to Lake Placid, despite the horrorshow that it means for the actual fans of the actual teams that will be playing there, then have at it. If Lake Placid's Chamber of Commerce comes through with a financial guarantee that makes Albany's look like change from a shoeshine, marvelous, let's grab the brass ring and suck up our objections to the Olympic sheet. But let's not pretend that a Lake Placid tournament is a panacea for all that ails the ECACHL, or that we should get down on our hands and knees and beg them to take us back after we screwed them.

I never claimed that. It's the best of a set of mediocre-to-poor options, for reasons I've articulated, or tried to. In fact, I even said in the original article, that even if attendance in LP wasn't great either, it was still worth it, since it won't be great anywhere else anyway.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 02:18PM by adamw.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: April 26, 2012 02:17PM

adamw

Listed below, attendance for the semifinal (where possible) / final... Obviously, the years Cornell was in the final positively affected attendance in both places in just about the same way ... though for Albany, that only mattered early on - not in later years. None of those Lake Placid finals were ever nearly as bad as Albany's worst years. And this is in an 8500-seat arena, so it looks better -- something TV is interested in. NESN broadcast a few of those years, without issue - though with local production companies.

1993: ---- / 7867- CCT, B, H, RPI
1994: ---- / 6316- H, RPI, CCT, B
1995: ---- / 6562- RPI, PU, CCT, Cg
1996: ---- / 8300- CU, H, UVm, CCT
1997: ---- / 8081- CU, CCT, RPI, PU
1998: ---- / 5289- PU, CCT, H, Y, CU
1999: ---- / 8469- CCT, SLU, RPI, PU, Cg
2000: 5389 / 6790- SLU, RPI, Cg, CU, CCT
2001: 4990 / 6256- SLU, CU, H, D, UVm
2002: 5422 / 6518- H, CU, RPI, CCT, D

2003: 6936 / 8296- CU, H, D, B
2004: 5641 / 6489- H, CCT, Cg, D
2005: 7580 / 8637- CU, H, Cg, UVm
2006: 6255 / 7093- H, CU, D, Cg
2007: 4484 / 5565- CCT, Q, SLU, D
2008: 5074 / 4851- PU, H, CU, Cg
2009: 3517 / 4857- Y, CU, SLU, PU
2010: ???? / 6505- CU, U, C, SLU

2011: 3351 / 4126- Y, CU, D, Cg
2012: 3462 / 4131- U, H, CU, Cg

It's worth noting that LP lucked out to have a north country team there every year. I've added the participants above. 1999 had BOTH teams in the FINAL. Also, for five of those years, the championship weekend included five teams instead of four. With LP's hotel policies, that typically meant folks stuck there for the weekend like it or not, win or lose unless you day trip from Potsdam, Canton, or Burlington.

Finally, UVm used to be a "close" school to LP. They're not in the mix anymore as potential day trippers to a LP championship.

Don't get me wrong, I loved going to LP and the sense of community that developed when the whole town welcomed ECAC fans. I just don't think it's practical to hold a championship in a remote location and expect to grow interest in the event beyond the hard core "I'd follow my team russia" type fans.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-194-67.myvzw.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 02:19PM

Trotsky
redice

From whom was that rhapsody coming? I don't recall hearing any of it from league officials. I know the average ECAC hockey fan was always thrilled to be heading to Boston each March. And proud to tell their friends of it. After all, a trip to Boston was fun!! Remember, at that point, the idea of moving the tournament was not really on the table. It was held in Boston and that's the way it was!! So, hyping the Boston location was not necessarily a propaganda tool to convince the constituency that having the tournament there was/is a good idea. Now that the tournament seems to have no permanent home, we'll live with this constant salesmanship from the League office.

Date: April 26, 2012 02:19PM

adamw

I never claimed that. It's the best of a set of mediocre-to-poor options, for reasons I've articulated, or tried to. In fact, I even said in the original article, that even if attendance in LP wasn't great either, it was still worth it, since it won't be great anywhere else anyway.

You're in a vanishingly small minority who feels that it's the best of our options.

- Steve Worona

Date: April 26, 2012 02:21PM

Chris '03
It's worth noting that LP lucked out to have a north country team there every year. I've added the participants above. 1999 had BOTH teams in the FINAL. Also, for five of those years, the championship weekend included five teams instead of four. With LP's hotel policies, that typically meant folks stuck there for the weekend like it or not, win or lose unless you day trip from Potsdam, Canton, or Burlington.

Finally, UVm used to be a "close" school to LP. They're not in the mix anymore as potential day trippers to a LP championship.

Don't get me wrong, I loved going to LP and the sense of community that developed when the whole town welcomed ECAC fans. I just don't think it's practical to hold a championship in a remote location and expect to grow interest in the event beyond the hard core "I'd follow my team russia" type fans.

All good points ... but I think my point is that, you're not growing interest beyond what it is already. That's been tried, and failed - it's like tilting at windmills. So might as well have it in a great place that brings a great connotation to the ECAC. And again, I understand the issues with getting there and hotels, etc... It's not like I haven't gone myself every year since 1995.

By the way - there may have been 5 teams in some years, but Princeton doesn't count :)

Date: April 26, 2012 02:25PM

I would be more than happy, for logistical reasons, if the tournament was in Bridgeport or Albany too ... I've argued, at times, for both of those as well. Well, not so much "argued," as basically resigned myself to the fact that that's the best place for it, all things considered. There is no home run. There is no option that solves all ills, or most ills, or barely any ills. Lake Placid has the most potential to do some good for the league, as little as that potential might be. All other options are basically "let's have it in the most convenient place for hardcore fans to go, while also being in a respectable hockey building." And that's a perfectly good argument. But that's all it is.

Date: April 26, 2012 02:30PM

adamw
Lake Placid has the most potential to do some good for the league, as little as that potential might be. All other options are basically "let's have it in the most convenient place for hardcore fans to go, while also being in a respectable hockey building." And that's a perfectly good argument. But that's all it is.

Yes, that's all it is. But as arguments go, for most of us, it sounds an awful lot better than "Let's have it in the least convenient place for hardcore fans to go."

I have no desire to spend time in Bridgeport, but I guarantee you it's an easier decision for me than Lake Placid.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: April 26, 2012 02:32PM

Would the league consider a rotation (once every 3 years) among Albany, Bridgeport and Hartford/Providence (we could even put LP in here to make Adam happy)? The rationale is that each venue would get the ECACs once every 3 years, and free them up to bid for the "higher profile" NC$$ basketball first/second round games in the off years.

This would decrease the rate of venues gettting stale, and still keep the tourney within a decent (reasonable) drive for most of the ECAC teams and their fans.

I personally think they should move the tourney to Estero, but that is for totally selfish reasons :).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 03:18PM by Rita.

Date: April 26, 2012 02:40PM

Beeeej
Yes, that's all it is. But as arguments go, for most of us, it sounds an awful lot better than "Let's have it in the least convenient place for hardcore fans to go."

Well, "least convenient for most Cornell fans" perhaps ... but that's not everyone. Something tells me Atlantic City was "least convenient" for most people, among all recent options. Lake Placid would be more convenient than anything else for Clarkson and St. Lawrence fans. Something tells me it's their top choice. It would also be more convenient than, say, Providence for RPI and Union fans.

The only other fan base that really matters is Cornell's - and granted, of course, it's the biggest one. Yale, Quinnipiac, Dartmouth and Brown fans do exist in decent amounts - but they didn't exactly come to Albany anyway. They would all certainly go, moreso, to Providence/Bridgeport - but how much?

Date: April 26, 2012 02:49PM

adamw
Well, "least convenient for most Cornell fans" perhaps ... but that's not everyone. Something tells me Atlantic City was "least convenient" for most people, among all recent options. Lake Placid would be more convenient than anything else for Clarkson and St. Lawrence fans. Something tells me it's their top choice.

"This location would be the most convenient option for that small portion of fans who already live in the middle of fuc goshdarn nowhere" isn't exactly the most glowing recommendation, either.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 02:58PM

Chris '03
adamw

1993: ---- / 7867- CCT, B, H, RPI
1994: ---- / 6316- H, RPI, CCT, B
1995: ---- / 6562- RPI, PU, CCT, Cg
1996: ---- / 8300- CU, H, UVm, CCT
1997: ---- / 8081- CU, CCT, RPI, PU
1998: ---- / 5289- PU, CCT, H, Y, CU
1999: ---- / 8469- CCT, SLU, RPI, PU, Cg
2000: 5389 / 6790- SLU, RPI, Cg, CU, CCT
2001: 4990 / 6256- SLU, CU, H, D, UVm
2002: 5422 / 6518- H, CU, RPI, CCT, D

2003: 6936 / 8296- CU, H, D, B
2004: 5641 / 6489- H, CCT, Cg, D
2005: 7580 / 8637- CU, H, Cg, UVm
2006: 6255 / 7093- H, CU, D, Cg
2007: 4484 / 5565- CCT, Q, SLU, D
2008: 5074 / 4851- PU, H, CU, Cg
2009: 3517 / 4857- Y, CU, SLU, PU
2010: ???? / 6505- CU, U, C, SLU

2011: 3351 / 4126- Y, CU, D, Cg
2012: 3462 / 4131- U, H, CU, Cg

This. It's fine to argue that Cornell has an attendance impact at any venue, but the '96-'97 tournaments also had the immense enthusiasm for that UVM team behind it as well. 2009 was the first year of this run for Union, and the recent success & local coverage would probably have driven a theoretical Albany tournament final back over 8k (IMO).

Another thing to think about when considering the "Cornell bump" in a historical sense is that from 1996-2001, Cornell didn't have much success past the ECACs. A league championship was all shiny and new to a decade's worth of fans. Since 2002, when Cornell started becoming a regular NCAA attendee, I feel there has been a de-emphasis on the importance of the ECAC tournament in the casual-to-moderate CU hockey fan. 1996-97 was such a cathartic eruption and I feel we valued those League Championships more than recent ones. The 2003 team drove a LOT of interest in the "we're here for the entire ride" sense. By 2005, I felt more people milled around saying "yeah, yeah, this is a nice cup...now, what regional are we going to?"

More interest in NCAA success means more people are going to save up their "travel chits" with their work/family/social/monetary lives for potential NCAA Regional and Frozen Four trips. If there's somewhere central (like Albany/Bridgeport/Hartford), that could be an easy/cheap drive/train, then it seems less like a trek & could keep those casual-to-moderate fans coming, while they wouldn't to Lake Placid OR Atlantic City.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 03:03PM by RichH.

Date: April 26, 2012 03:35PM

RichH
Another thing to think about when considering the "Cornell bump" in a historical sense is that from 1996-2001, Cornell didn't have much success past the ECACs. A league championship was all shiny and new to a decade's worth of fans. Since 2002, when Cornell started becoming a regular NCAA attendee, I feel there has been a de-emphasis on the importance of the ECAC tournament in the casual-to-moderate CU hockey fan. 1996-97 was such a cathartic eruption and I feel we valued those League Championships more than recent ones. The 2003 team drove a LOT of interest in the "we're here for the entire ride" sense. By 2005, I felt more people milled around saying "yeah, yeah, this is a nice cup...now, what regional are we going to?"

That's precisely what I meant, before Beeeej decided to mock me for it :)

Cornell fans were far more interested in the 1996 and 1997 ECACs than the later ones in L.P. - then there was a big bump in 2003 and 2005 - but not so much the later Albany ones. For the reasons you articulate, and that I referred to.

I don't think the "bump" in 2003 was because the tournament had moved to Albany. Put that year's tournament on the moon, and it would've gotten 8,000.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 03:37PM

Wasn't one of the problems with LP the fact that the coaches felt, rightly or wrongly, that the olympic ice-size rink there hurt them in the NCAA tourney?

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: April 26, 2012 03:41PM

ursusminor
Wasn't one of the problems with LP the fact that the coaches felt, rightly or wrongly, that the olympic ice-size rink there hurt them in the NCAA tourney?

Yes. And that would be a louder gripe now that the NCAA has moved away from olympic sheets for regionals.

Date: April 26, 2012 03:55PM

adamw
That's precisely what I meant, before Beeeej decided to mock me for it :)

Cornell fans were far more interested in the 1996 and 1997 ECACs than the later ones in L.P. - then there was a big bump in 2003 and 2005 - but not so much the later Albany ones. For the reasons you articulate, and that I referred to.

Again, I'll disagree, and I'll try not to mock you: Without having the perspective of the even better year we would have in 2003, we felt that absolutely ran away with the regular season in 2002, finishing so far ahead of Clarkson that they needed the Hubble telescope to see us. The expectations for that team were very high, and we hadn't won a title in five years after coming fairly close in 2000 and 2001. Again, I'll ask - did anyone on this board who went to Albany in 2003 decline to go to Lake Placid in 2002 because they weren't as excited about Cornell hockey?

Maybe it was Spring Break or something. Who really remembers that far back? :-)

- Steve Worona

Date: April 26, 2012 04:09PM

Beeeej
The expectations for that team were very high, and we hadn't won a title in five years after coming fairly close in 2000 and 2001. Again, I'll ask - did anyone on this board who went to Albany in 2003 decline to go to Lake Placid in 2002 because they weren't as excited about Cornell hockey?

Well, I recall things differently. Expectations may have been high in 2002 - but Cornell was ranked No. 1 for most of 2002-03, and raised expectations even higher. The fever pitch was monumental. Anything short of a Frozen Four would've been considered a disaster. There was an enormous groundswell that built through the entire year. I suspect you don't know all 8,000 people who showed up, so perhaps the group we all know would've went to 2002 and 2003. But do you really believe there was not a huge upswing in interest that year from "the masses"?

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: April 26, 2012 04:38PM

I say we have Adam and Beeej fight in a cage match. Two men enter, one ECAC tournament location is chosen!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: April 26, 2012 05:36PM

Lake Placid is in the middle of nowhere, reachable only by expedition. Fuck that. They may as well take the alternate-site venue that the Big 10 isn't using.

Date: April 26, 2012 05:41PM

Adam, I'll address it to you since you seem to be the only one pushing LP, no one has talked about the housing problem that Beeeej mentioned. Some history for those who were not there. To get a room in town, at a convient place you had to put down a non-refundable payment. I don't remember how soon you had to do it, but it was certainly before the quarterfinal games. Therefore you had to put your money down when you didn't even know your team was going to be there. And if you took a place outside of town, finding an easy place to park in that town was not nice. If you thought you might just drive up for the finals since your team won the semi, good luck. Close hotel rooms were generally taken and as I said no easy parking. All in all, not an easy place for that last minute fan.

My daughter will be out of the house, so we'd probably book and pay for a room the year before, as we'd go even if CU didn't. However I don't think many would be happy with that. Thanks Beeeej, I'd forgotten how awful this was. No, LP seems worse all the time.

It sounds like Albany really wants us back, let's give them a chance again. If Union stays up there, I have to think attendance will be good. With them, newsprint will be good, and the casual fan will drop in. You can decide a few days before that you want to go, and you can still find a reasonable room. In fact cheap if you don't mind driving a bit.

If Providence or Worcester wanted to bid, I'd give that a try, but please not LP.

Date: April 26, 2012 06:13PM

Jim Hyla

It sounds like Albany really wants us back, let's give them a chance again. If Union stays up there, I have to think attendance will be good. With them, newsprint will be good, and the casual fan will drop in.

And it is perfectly acceptable to use the Times Union rather than the Daily Sun during introductions. As for the Troy Record, the preferred method involves wadding it up almost as soon as the carrier makes his delivery.

Just for the Record
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 06:17PM by marty.

Date: April 26, 2012 07:46PM

marty
Jim Hyla

It sounds like Albany really wants us back, let's give them a chance again. If Union stays up there, I have to think attendance will be good. With them, newsprint will be good, and the casual fan will drop in.

And it is perfectly acceptable to use the Times Union rather than the Daily Sun during introductions. As for the Troy Record, the preferred method involves wadding it up almost as soon as the carrier makes his delivery.

Just for the Record

I forgot, they used to give away free newspapers, didn't they. That proves we should go there, no complaints about the papers. Now if they'd only be as good about Snickers.:-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 07:48PM by Jim Hyla.

Date: April 26, 2012 08:14PM

adamw
Beeeej
The expectations for that team were very high, and we hadn't won a title in five years after coming fairly close in 2000 and 2001. Again, I'll ask - did anyone on this board who went to Albany in 2003 decline to go to Lake Placid in 2002 because they weren't as excited about Cornell hockey?

Well, I recall things differently. Expectations may have been high in 2002 - but Cornell was ranked No. 1 for most of 2002-03, and raised expectations even higher. The fever pitch was monumental. Anything short of a Frozen Four would've been considered a disaster. There was an enormous groundswell that built through the entire year. I suspect you don't know all 8,000 people who showed up, so perhaps the group we all know would've went to 2002 and 2003. But do you really believe there was not a huge upswing in interest that year from "the masses"?

First of all, you're kind of missing my point - I'm not saying attendance shouldn't have gone up in 2003. Of course it should have, I just don't believe that the entire increase can be attributed to the better season. What I'm saying, that you're misinterpreting, is that you need to look at 2002 in a vacuum, as if you're in 2002 now, without knowing what 2003 is going to be like. 2002 was an incredible year all on its own compared to 2000 and 2001, we had a much better shot than usual at a deep run, and attendance at the ECAC tournament should have increased from those previous couple of seasons, notwithstanding any objections to Lake Placid. It didn't.

I will say this for certain, though: You definitely recall things differently. Cornell was ranked No. 1 for exactly ONE week in 2003 - March 24, after we beat Harvard in Albany. That was it. We actually bubbled around #7-9 for most of the first half. And Cornell wasn't ranked No. 1 in the Pairwise until after winning the ECAC title game, either.

Tell you what - I'll ask Daina when she gets home why she didn't go to Lake Placid in 2002. woot

- Steve Worona

Posted by: judy (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 08:39PM

RichH

I think something related to this had been mentioned here sometime in the last year (note, I've lost all sense of time). There was a discussion about how we don't see as many traveling undergrads now as we used to. I think we picked up a lot of new fans in that period of time. After maybe 2005 (give or take), the number of new and more fanatical fans seemed to have tapered off. Maybe the championship was the shiny new toy. For the most part, I see a lot of the same people on this board posting but most of you are older than I am. There are probably only a handful on here that are very recent grads and are vocal here. The championship is no longer the shiny new toy, we expect to get to the NCAAs or the season sucked, and we'd been in Albany for a while. If Cornell makes it to the Frozen Four next year, I'm sure most of you reading would move heaven and earth to be in Pittsburgh. The average Cornellian, maybe not? Really, how many of us are willing to let 2-3 weeks of our lives be completely dictated by what a hockey team does?

As for ECAC location, maybe Albany was getting stale. I agree with Rita that maybe a rotation between Albany, Hartford/Bridgeport, and Providence might be a good solution. I used to be in the Lake Placid camp when we first moved to Albany but hey, life happens. My car has 160,000 miles on it because I drove it all over the east coast the first 5 years I had it, mostly to hockey games but now, you'd have a hard time to get me to be in it for more than an hour. This is why I'd rather go to Albany than AC. Geographically, AC is a hell of a lot closer to me but it means that I have to spend 4-5 hours in a car while I can hop on a plane to go to Albany. I'll probably go next year just to say that I've been but I'm not looking forward to the time in the car. At least it's not beach season.

Adam, I'll go to Lake Placid but you're going to have to drive me.

Date: April 26, 2012 10:04PM

Beeeej
Cornell was ranked No. 1 for exactly ONE week in 2003 - March 24, after we beat Harvard in Albany. That was it. We actually bubbled around #7-9 for most of the first half.

We were #4 or better for almost the whole season after December, and #2 from mid-Feb on, though.

Date: April 26, 2012 10:20PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Cornell was ranked No. 1 for exactly ONE week in 2003 - March 24, after we beat Harvard in Albany. That was it. We actually bubbled around #7-9 for most of the first half.

We were #4 or better for almost the whole season after December, and #2 from mid-Feb on, though.

Yes, absolutely. And that's a long way from being "ranked No. 1 for most of 2002-03."

- Steve Worona

Date: April 26, 2012 10:25PM

Beeeej
Tell you what - I'll ask Daina when she gets home why she didn't go to Lake Placid in 2002. woot

Daina doesn't remember clearly exactly why, but she went home for spring break (which started the weekend of the ECACs). She went to the regionals in Worcester to see us beat Quinnipiac and lose to UNH at the end of spring break, but that's because it was pretty close to her home in West Hartford. Although she can't say for sure that she actually went through this thought process ten years ago, she says now that she doubts she would've wanted to drive to Lake Placid - and if the tournament had been in Albany that year, she almost certainly would have gone, because it was on the way home.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: April 27, 2012 09:07AM

Jeebus. Stop all this bickering! I hate coming to the forum in the offseason and seeing 32 new posts! There's never any good news in the offseason... help

Date: April 27, 2012 09:59AM

Robb
Jeebus. Stop all this bickering! I hate coming to the forum in the offseason and seeing 32 new posts! There's never any good news in the offseason... help
This isn't generic either. Please change the topic to "Arguing with adamw about the merits of Lake Placid".

Posted by: judy (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 27, 2012 09:59AM

Robb

There's one topic that always gets beaten to death at this time of year that hasn't popped up at all! Maybe it's because we beat Michigan and exceeded expectations?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 27, 2012 10:02AM

ugarte
Robb
This isn't generic either. Please change the topic to "Arguing with adamw about the merits of Lake Placid".
Or "The relative mediocrity of ECAC tournament venue choices".

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2012 10:15AM

The other issue that hasn't been mentioned is (at least as of the ECAC's last trip) that the facilities are crap. Hot, nasty locker rooms that they won't let you put fans in, players sitting in the hallway, etc. I don't think you're going to get much love from the coaches for LP.

Date: April 27, 2012 10:21AM

judy
Robb

There's one topic that always gets beaten to death at this time of year that hasn't popped up at all! Maybe it's because we beat Michigan and exceeded expectations?

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the annual "Fire Schafer" post.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: April 27, 2012 11:46AM

Beeeej
judy
Robb

Bonus points if the poster starting it tells us he knows all about hockey and none of us understand it.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2012 12:38PM

To maximize attendance, why not bring ECAC tourney to NYC metro area - Barclay's, Izod, or Pru Center?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 12:38PM by CAS.

Date: April 27, 2012 12:39PM

CAS
To maximize attendance, why not bring ECAC tourney to NYC metro area - Barclay's, Izod, or Pru Center?

That's been suggested in other threads - I think the main reasons are 1) unusually expensive hotels, 2) difficulty traveling to NYC via car (plus the expense of safe parking), and 3) we'd probably get lost in the noise.

- Steve Worona

Date: April 27, 2012 12:56PM

All true Beeeej, but think of how many alums of the ECAC schools live/work in the area and wouldn't need to travel at all. If Cornell can bring 12K fans to MSG, how many would attend an ECAC tourney game which is played in/near NYC?

Date: April 27, 2012 12:58PM

Beeeej
CAS

That's been suggested in other threads - I think the main reasons are 1) unusually expensive hotels, 2) difficulty traveling to NYC via car (plus the expense of safe parking), and 3) we'd probably get lost in the noise.
On March 16, the Knicks had a home game. On March 17, the Nets, Devils and Rangers were all at home. With all of the teams in the NY area, you can't expect a weekend where all teams that play in a venue are out of town on both days. The Nassau Coliseum was open for the weekend but I doubt that the arena would be willing (even if permitted) to tie the hands of the NHL schedulers by making a multi-year commitment to an event that will probably leave the arena half-empty at best (they already have to do that for the Islanders).

Date: April 27, 2012 12:59PM

French Rage
Beeeej
judy
Robb

Bonus points if the poster starting it tells us he knows all about hockey and none of us understand it.
It also has to be couched in terms of "maybe you all are satisfied with the current performance, but I think we should aim higher!" puffery. Bonus points if the poster has a Boston team in their sig.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 27, 2012 01:15PM

Chris '03
I just don't think it's practical to hold a championship in a remote location and expect to grow interest in the event beyond the hard core "I'd follow my team russia" type fans.
I fail to see a problem with selecting a venue to cater specifically to us. :-D

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 27, 2012 01:27PM

Robb
That's not true, Union and Colgate both lost top-line forwards to the pros.

Date: April 27, 2012 01:41PM

CAS
All true Beeeej, but think of how many alums of the ECAC schools live/work in the area and wouldn't need to travel at all. If Cornell can bring 12K fans to MSG, how many would attend an ECAC tourney game which is played in/near NYC?

Frankly? Probably a lot fewer. Cornell has by far the biggest alumni base of the twelve schools, and certainly the most NYC-centric. In a year Cornell doesn't make it (if such a year ever exists again, he said, knocking on wood), I suspect NYC would have worse attendance than Lake Placid or Albany, not better.

Red Hot Hockey is special because it's against an old rival, and because it's on Thanksgiving weekend when a lot of kids are home anyway - the ECACs don't always fall during spring break, and spring break isn't always spent with Mom & Dad the way Thanksgiving usually is.

Plus, I think a good 40% or so of the fans at Red Hot Hockey have been BU fans.

But ugarte's point is probably a more important one.

- Steve Worona

Date: April 27, 2012 02:15PM

Remember the Barclay and Pru Centers each have only 1 tenant next year. Izod has zero. You think an ECAC tourney in the NY metro area, with Cornell involved, will draw fewer than 5-6K? If fewer than half the Cornell fans for Red Hot Hockey attend, and none from the other 3 schools, attendance would be higher. The games should be played where the fans are!

Page:  1 23456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login