Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Other Regional Scores

Posted by Beeeej 
Other Regional Scores
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2012 03:31PM

Union takes a 1-0 lead over Michigan State on a Max Novak goal, at the tail end of a 5-min. major. (Chelios got the 5 and the game for hitting from behind.) 4:51 remaining in the first.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 03:32PM by Beeeej.

Re: Other Regional Scores
Date: March 23, 2012 03:43PM

With 1:18 left in the first, Michigan State has a puck in the net, but after a long video review, the refs declare that the net had conclusively already been dislodged. No goal.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 03:45PM

Beeeej
With 1:18 left in the first, Michigan State has a puck in the net, but after a long video review, the refs declare that the net had conclusively already been dislodged. No goal.

Union caught a break there. I thought that was a goal.

Date: March 23, 2012 03:45PM

1-0 Union at the first intermission.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: nyc94 (---.sub-174-226-131.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 03:50PM

jtn27
Beeeej

The net was barely dislodged, maybe an inch off the ice. I thought they might call high stick on the shot.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 03:50PM

jtn27
Beeeej

My opinion was that the puck definitely went in, the net was definitely not dislodged, but I'm not sure you could conclusively say the stick wasn't high. Of course that wasn't the rationale the official used, but I didn't see an angle were you could tell definitively whether the stick was too high or not, so in my opinion the call on the ice had to stand. If it was called a goal on the ice, I would say that should stand too. I also wouldn't be surprised if someone produces a still picture showing it wasn't high at some point, just saying I personally didn't see an angle where I could tell definitively.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 03:52PM

Melrose has already called the Union goalie "Grossman" and said that Western Michigan was playing.

Who wants to sign the RPItv for NCAA tournament petition?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 03:53PM

nyc94
jtn27
Beeeej

The net was barely dislodged, maybe an inch off the ice. I thought they might call high stick on the shot.

I think that this has to do with longitude. If the game were a little further west, say on the eastern edge of Lake Erie then it would have been a high stick.cuss

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 03:56PM

marty
nyc94
jtn27
Beeeej

I think that this has to do with longitude. If the game were a little further west, say on the eastern edge of Lake Erie then it would have been a high stick.cuss

Oh, just don't go there!

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 04:08PM

Union now up 2-0!

Date: March 23, 2012 04:08PM

Welsh makes it 2-0 Union on a rebound. 16:40 remaining in the second.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 23, 2012 04:11PM

Does anyone here know if Chelios had a game misconduct or a game disqualification?

Date: March 23, 2012 04:12PM

marty
Does anyone here know if Chelios had a game misconduct or a game disqualification?

I heard misconduct, so he'd be available to play tomorrow if Michigan State advances.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 23, 2012 04:38PM

Michigan State makes it 2-1 Union with about 39 seconds left in the second, on a power play.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: March 23, 2012 04:38PM

MSU just cut it to 2-1 with less than a minute in the 2nd -- right after Union blew a 3 on 0 break.

Date: March 23, 2012 04:40PM

Second intermission, Union up 2-1.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: snert1288 (---.uhmc.sunysb.edu)
Date: March 23, 2012 04:40PM

And a mention of Joe Nieuwendyk and Cornell. While discussing lacrosse Melrose states that Nieuwendyk went to Cornell because he wanted to play lacrosse.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 04:42PM

snert1288
And a mention of Joe Nieuwendyk and Cornell. While discussing lacrosse Melrose states that Nieuwendyk went to Cornell because he wanted to play lacrosse.

I was just about to mention this. Does anyone know if it's true? Did Nieuwendyk play lax for Cornell?

Posted by: snert1288 (---.uhmc.sunysb.edu)
Date: March 23, 2012 04:50PM

I don't know what his intentions were, but I'm fairly certain he never played lacrosse for Cornell.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 04:54PM

snert1288
I don't know what his intentions were, but I'm fairly certain he never played lacrosse for Cornell.

Wikipedia never lies.

I'll hunt for independent verification. But I've also heard that his intention was to play lacrosse more than hockey.

Edit: I trust this more than Wikipedia. Looks like he had intended to play both, but learned he had to commit full time to hockey when he arrived at Cornell.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 05:00PM by Greenberg '97.

Date: March 23, 2012 04:59PM

A Lowell newspaper reporter was interviewed by Union's broadcaster between the 2nd and 3rd. He mentioned that the word is that Hockey East is courting UConn as the 12th team for 2012-13.

Posted by: JasonN95 (38.105.135.---)
Date: March 23, 2012 05:03PM

That's good if it means RPI stays put.

Date: March 23, 2012 05:34PM

JasonN95
That's good if it means RPI stays put.

His second point was that UConn might not want to make the commitment.

Posted by: JasonN95 (38.105.135.---)
Date: March 23, 2012 05:34PM

After being on their heels apparently for much of the third, Union gets a goal with under 2 minutes to play to make it 3-1 in their favor.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 05:36PM

Have a good time golfing, State.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 05:38PM

Congrats to Union with the 3-1 win.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: March 23, 2012 05:42PM

Geez, watching the Denver-Ferris St. game -- I think AC had more fannies in the seats.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 05:59PM

scoop85
Geez, watching the Denver-Ferris St. game -- I think AC had more fannies in the seats.
We gripe about maybe having to drive 5 hours to see an ECAC hockey tournament game and in the NCAA regionals you've got a 50-50 chance it's within driving distance. For CCHA and WCHA teams, unless the regional is your home state, you've got to find a flight on 4-5 days advance notice or do a lot of driving. Give credit to the fans who did show up. But yeah it looked empty. And there were also seats to be had at the NCAA Sweet Sixteen basketball games.

[edit add] ESPN zoomed in and showed the area behind the Ferris State goal late in the first (0-0 after 1). Nobody home. Bridgeport and AC in comparison looked like the fire marshall was waiting in the wings. At least a lot of the Green Bay seats are red already so if Cornell fans spread out ...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 06:18PM by billhoward.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 06:01PM

Luke 05
Melrose has already called the Union goalie "Grossman" and said that Western Michigan was playing. Who wants to sign the RPItv for NCAA tournament petition?
Take Famous Jewish Athletes for Forty, Barry

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 06:13PM

billhoward
Luke 05
Melrose has already called the Union goalie "Grossman" and said that Western Michigan was playing. Who wants to sign the RPItv for NCAA tournament petition?
Take Famous Jewish Athletes for Forty, Barry

Date: March 23, 2012 06:15PM

jtn27
snert1288

I was just about to mention this. Does anyone know if it's true? Did Nieuwendyk play lax for Cornell?
He was considered a better lax player than hockey player when he was in high school.

Date: March 23, 2012 06:36PM

Is it my imagination or are the Mass Lowell uniforms almost as ugly as Clarkson's crayola boxes?demented

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 07:10PM

nyc94
jtn27
Beeeej

Agreed, I'm not sure if the rules pecify exactly what counts as dislodged, but that didn't seem it to me. If there ws nay reason to call it off it should have been a high stick.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 07:24PM

I'm pretty sure Union winning an NCAA Tournament game is a sign of the impending apocalypse.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 07:33PM

css228
nyc94
jtn27
Beeeej

Agreed, I'm not sure if the rules pecify exactly what counts as dislodged, but that didn't seem it to me. If there ws nay reason to call it off it should have been a high stick.
The CHN Twitter feed retweeted someone saying that any movement of the goal off the moorings means a goal is disallowed. Therefore, by the letter of the rule, the correct call was made. Rule 6, section 18 c:

A goal shall not be allowed in any of the following cases:
12. If the goal cage has been moved or dislodged. The goal frame is considered to be displaced if any portion of the goal frame is not in its proper position (e.g., frame must be completely flat on the ice surface, goal posts must be in proper place and affixed securely in place with its pegs).

Date: March 23, 2012 07:48PM

kingpin248
css228
nyc94
jtn27
Beeeej

The CHN Twitter feed retweeted someone saying that any movement of the goal off the moorings means a goal is disallowed. Therefore, by the letter of the rule, the correct call was made. Rule 6, section 18 c:

12. If the goal cage has been moved or dislodged. The goal frame is considered to be displaced if any portion of the goal frame is not in its proper position (e.g., frame must be completely flat on the ice surface, goal posts must be in proper place and affixed securely in place with its pegs).
Yeah, but that leaves it open to all sorts of gamesmanship, aka the Osgood

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 07:52PM

css228
kingpin248
css228
nyc94
jtn27
Beeeej

The officials could call a "delay of game" penalty (or something similar) at their discretion if they think it's on purpose, I bet.

Date: March 23, 2012 07:53PM

RichH
css228
kingpin248
css228
nyc94
jtn27
Beeeej

The officials could call a "delay of game" penalty (or something similar) at their discretion if they think it's on purpose, I bet.
True, but they should also have the discretion to allow a goal in that case. Either way, I don't know why I'm complaining since I thought it was a high stick.

Date: March 23, 2012 08:15PM

Josh '99
I'm pretty sure Union winning an NCAA Tournament game is a sign of the impending apocalypse.
IIRC they won a D3 title. I wonder how many teams have won NCAA games at multiple levels. (Bemidji is another.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 08:15PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 08:28PM

Josh '99

What's next, Ferris and Lowell winning?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2012 08:35PM

Trotsky
Josh '99
IIRC they won a D3 title. I wonder how many teams have won NCAA games at multiple levels. (Bemidji is another.)

And RIT.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 23, 2012 08:38PM

Trotsky
Josh '99

I was checking out their hardware two weeks ago and saw a second place trophy but not the championship.

Posted by: releck97 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 08:53PM

Miami was down 3-0. Now 3-3 with 10 minutes to go! Great game...

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 08:54PM

releck97

Except the part about it pre-empting Cornell.

Posted by: profudge (---.dr04.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 08:57PM

Vermont - is another -

Date: March 23, 2012 08:58PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky
Josh '99

And RIT.
Probably St. Cloud, too. Mankato? UNO?

Posted by: releck97 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 08:58PM

Greenberg '97
releck97

Except the part about it pre-empting Cornell.
Let's hope there's no OT..egad

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 09:00PM

Lowell defense looks like in a stupor.

Date: March 23, 2012 09:01PM

profudge
Vermont - is another -
Yep. They won in D2 back when there *was* a hockey D2.

Date: March 24, 2012 11:35AM

marty
Trotsky
Josh '99

I was checking out their hardware two weeks ago and saw a second place trophy but not the championship.

And I just checked online and could not find a Union Div III championship but rather a second place finish in 1984 or 1986 depending on the source. It looks as if Plattsburgh had their second place finish vacated in 1986 and perhaps Union was third that year in the tournament.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 11:40AM by marty.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 02:39PM

I'm not sure if I believe my eyes, but is that Kotyra in the UWM-UND game?

Date: March 24, 2012 04:26PM

ajh258
I'm not sure if I believe my eyes, but is that Kotyra in the UWM-UND game?

Box says Kotyra: Western Mich—NoDak Box

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 06:40PM

Looks like the officials got marching orders to look for and call hits to the head as 5 min majors + Game Misconducts. Another just happened in the BU-Minn game.

Posted by: CUrafter (---.geo.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2012 06:41PM

Huge stick save by Groesnick

Date: March 24, 2012 07:43PM

And Union goes up 2-0.

I'm just really impressed by that team. Reminds me of 2005 for us: great goaltending, stifling defense, and opportunistic scoring.

Posted by: profudge (---.dr04.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 08:08PM

Union up 3-1 now over Lowell

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 08:27PM

Union looks confident and to be the better team. Representing the ECAC nicely through 5 periods. Here's hoping they can do so for at least 6.

Posted by: nr53 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 08:41PM

Lowell scores to make it 3-2 on a very weird play where a Union player lost the puck going behind his net and it went right to a Lowell player who basically had a free shot since the goalie wasn't even looking in the right direction. If Lowell wins this game they can thank two really lucky goals.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 09:44PM

Grosenick (sp?), the Union goalie, stood on his freaking head in the game today. Wow. Congrats to Union on making it to Tampa.

LGR!

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 07:57AM

JasonN95
Union looks confident and to be the better team. Representing the ECAC nicely through 5 periods. Here's hoping they can do so for at least 6 12.

FYP

Good Luck Union! Now the Faithful are rooting for you.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 01:09PM

Kyle Rose
Grosenick (sp?), the Union goalie, stood on his freaking head in the game today. Wow.
The save he made where he turned himself inside out, missed with the glove, then tipped the puck out from the goal a millisecond before it broke the plane, all while bent at an angle that would kill most humans, was jaw-dropping.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-14.myvzw.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 01:15PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
Grosenick (sp?), the Union goalie, stood on his freaking head in the game today. Wow.
The save he made where he turned himself inside out, missed with the glove, then tipped the puck out from the goal a millisecond before it broke the plane, all while bent at an angle that would kill most humans, was jaw-dropping.[/quote

And when they replayed it, they showed a similar juggling act that he performed earlier in the game. Good video can make it much more enjoyable to watch someone like Grosenick. I saw him 6 times this year but never saw that wonderful slow motion acrobatics.

Date: March 26, 2012 01:19PM

Here's another reason to root for Union. Grosenick has been so impressive on the biggest stage in college hockey that if he repeats the feat he's a flight risk. After all, if he wins the national championship, athletically there is nothing more to strive for at this level.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 01:34PM

Trotsky
Here's another reason to root for Union. Grosenick has been so impressive on the biggest stage in college hockey that if he repeats the feat he's a flight risk. After all, if he wins the national championship, athletically there is nothing more to strive for at this level.

He's an undrafted sophomore, so there's no pro team pressuring him to abandon school to get experience at a higher level. I think a bigger flight risk for them is Welsh, who's starting to get a lot of press. Given that they are only losing two impact players (Zajac and Julseth-White) to graduation, this is a team that will remain mostly in tact for next season. Zajac is the only senior in their top 15 in scoring. I can't see any outcome in Tampa that won't result in them all saying "let's come back next year and do it (again)."

Of course, that's what UVM said after their 1996 FF appearance, and by most metrics had a disappointing Senior campaign for St. Louis, Perrin, and Thomas. Darn it all. :-}

Date: March 26, 2012 02:46PM

RichH
I can't see any outcome in Tampa that won't result in them all saying "let's come back next year and do it (again)."
I can dream.

Another thing is that if you were recruited to the Union hockey team a few years ago the odds are good that what you really wanted to do was play hockey at Union. Not only are they a tiny school with tremendous esprit de corps, but nobody is going into there thinking about two and screw the way they would at a factory program.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 03:40PM

What's wrong with having a strong Union in the ECAC? All we do is complain that weak in conference opponents hurt RPI/KRACH/PWR, and now we have an opportunity to have two nationally recognized teams. I hope they all stay and the ECAC builds on the success of Union/Cornell this spring.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 03:57PM

Luke 05
What's wrong with having a strong Union in the ECAC? All we do is complain that weak in conference opponents hurt RPI/KRACH/PWR, and now we have an opportunity to have two nationally recognized teams. I hope they all stay and the ECAC builds on the success of Union/Cornell this spring.
+1 is not enough. QFT.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 07:48PM

Kyle Rose
Luke 05
+1 is not enough. QFT.
But I don't wanna have anyone in the ECAC be more successful than us!</whine>

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 08:49PM

KeithK
Kyle Rose
Luke 05
+1 is not enough. QFT.
You'd rather have teams from a different conference be more successful?

For whom to root
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 11:16PM

From Yahoo
U.S. Rep. Brad Miller (D-NC)
‘If Duke was playing the Taliban, I’d have to pull for the Taliban’

Re: For whom to root
Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 26, 2012 11:27PM

David Harding
From Yahoo

He can kiss any chance of holding a government position goodbye if he ever changes his mind about retiring (at least I think he's retiring, it said he's not seeking reelection).

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 11:30PM

David Harding
From Yahoo
But Union to us isn't like Duke to Carolina. It's more like Wake Forest.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:05AM

Luke 05

It doesn't mean that I want to wish them well in the post-season. I wish them immense luck in the regular season so that when Cornell beats them, Cornell gains all the valuable PWR points.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:11AM

jtn27
David Harding
From Yahoo

He can kiss any chance of holding a government position goodbye if he ever changes his mind about retiring (at least I think he's retiring, it said he's not seeking reelection).
I think you underestimate where the loyalties in NC lie. This probably would have guaranteed his reelection.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:13AM

jkahn
David Harding
From Yahoo
Not even that. More like Appalachain State,

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:22AM

css228
jkahn
David Harding
From Yahoo
Not even that. More like Appalachain State,

What do Cornell and Appalachian State have in common?

Note: I know that we were not regarded as underdogs by such grave odds as Appalachian State-Michigan in football, but I figured I'd use this opportunity to mock Michigan more after I've dealt with a barrage of insults about Cornell since the win.

P.S. The Michigan State fight song infuriates Michigan fans and players alike. I've witnessed it firsthand. Apparently Cornell is "classless" for outwitting Michigan. I guess that the apprentice is still not as good as the master.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:43AM

Aaron M. Griffin
P.S. The Michigan State fight song infuriates Michigan fans and players alike. I've witnessed it firsthand. Apparently Cornell is "classless" for outwitting Michigan. I guess that the apprentice is still not as good as the master.

Oh, heavens! Classless! Must we now turn in our monocles and top hats before leaving the dinner club? But I've grown quite fond of my ascot.

No, I can think of a lot less classy things that fans do. That's just funny...even funnier since it really got in their craw. Whomever has a problem with it needs to get over themselves. Oh, and the final punctuation to any insults you get? "Scoreboard." And in some cases, "Board Scores."

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 27, 2012 01:02PM

ugarte
KeithK
Kyle Rose
Luke 05
+1 is not enough. QFT.
I figure that the /whine tag would prevent a serious response.

Date: March 27, 2012 02:12PM

RichH
Whomever has a problem with it needs to get over themselves.

Whoever.

;)

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 27, 2012 02:54PM

Trotsky
RichH

Whoever.

;)

You miss irony, and my failing attempt at establishing a meme. demented
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 02:56PM by RichH.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: March 27, 2012 05:48PM

KeithK
ugarte
KeithK
Kyle Rose
Luke 05
+1 is not enough. QFT.
I figure that the /whine tag would prevent a serious response.
You think that's a serious response?

Date: March 28, 2012 10:03AM

RichH
Trotsky
RichH

Whoever.

;)

I appreciate the vote, but I am not Miss Irony:

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 28, 2012 11:10AM

Trotsky
RichH
Trotsky
RichH

Whoever.

;)

I appreciate the vote, but I am not Miss Irony:

I hope that photo was taken in Atlantic City. bolt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login