Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Screw BU, ESPNU Too!

Posted by flyersgolf 
Screw BU, ESPNU Too!
Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:02AM

Officiating and ESPNU announcers were terrible.

Way to go Red!

Even stats were skewed in Michigans favor.

Mr. Clutch Craig.

Re: Screw BU, ESPNU Too!
Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:18AM

And they kept showing this. Where was the Cornell version?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:18AM

I didn't think the announcers were bad at all.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:19AM

Agree. Telecast was fine. Any Bob Norton-less crew is usually pretty good.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:20AM

flyersgolf
Officiating and ESPNU announcers were terrible.

Way to go Red!

Even stats were skewed in Michigans favor.

Mr. Clutch Craig.

That's Mr. Clutch and Grab, to you, sir!

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:20AM

jtn27

They banned it when Keith Olbermann left.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:21AM

andyw2100
I didn't think the announcers were bad at all.

Me neither.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:21AM

The rink announcers weren't bad, but the studio team could only speak about Michigan.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:27AM

ithacat
The rink announcers weren't bad, but the studio team could only speak about Michigan.
Every time a Michigan player came close to a Cornell player it was a "big hit". They didn't seem concerned about the elbows to the face and such that the replays kept showing.

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:30AM

David Harding
ithacat
Every time a Michigan player came close to a Cornell player it was a "big hit". They didn't seem concerned about the elbows to the face and such that the replays kept showing.
I definitely felt that the announcing crew was biased - "[michigan player] takes a hit," "[michigan player] gives a hit." Many fewer mentions of Cornell players, IMHO.

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:32AM

jtn27
They showed the Cornell version early in the game. Trust me, I'm doing you a favor not showing it.

Date: March 24, 2012 12:33AM

Robb
David Harding
ithacat
I definitely felt that the announcing crew was biased - "[michigan player] takes a hit," "[michigan player] gives a hit." Many fewer mentions of Cornell players, IMHO.

I don't think it was a bias on their part. Just lack of research and/or laziness. Michigan gets more national coverage during the year so they were more familiar with Michigan and didn't bother to familiarize themselves Cornell. They couldn't mention Cornell players because they didn't know them.

Posted by: mikeTHEcat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:34AM

jtn27

They definitely showed it. I remember seeing it and laughing at how ridiculous it looked. It was a furry "U" like it was coated in bearskin.

Date: March 24, 2012 12:36AM

css228
jtn27
They showed the Cornell version early in the game. Trust me, I'm doing you a favor not showing it.

That must have been when the Miami-UMass Lowell game was in OT and I was yelling at ESPN3 for crashing my computer.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:37AM

mikeTHEcat
They definitely showed it. I remember seeing it and laughing at how ridiculous it looked. It was a furry "U" like it was coated in bearskin.

It roared. I like the association with godless killing machines, but it was a bit embarrassing.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:51AM

jtn27
Cornell version had a different finger raised.

The announcers were maybe biased but the camera guys had the cameras pointed at the nets when the puck went in.

Barry Melrose over in Bridgeport (Barry comes to town, does that affect Bridgeport property values?) was yapping about a goal scored the when the attacker bowled over the goalie. "Charging the net 101," Barry declared. The it's overruled and Barry said "clearly" GT interference. But he is always entertaining.

Re the screw BU subject line, did I hear the Miami band play the BU ditty and UMLowell fans added the finishing "Screw BU"?

Posted by: MRN one (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 02:16AM

They did give the quotation that I hope becomes a new Lynah cheer. One of the studio announcers during the break before the overtime said, "Michigan can't PP." Maybe just because I have a 3 year old but that struck me as hilarious.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 10:32AM

Trying to compile all the misspeaks of the broadcasts:

Everyone noticed Melrose calling Michigan State everything from "Michigan" to "Western Michigan," of course.
Apparently Denver was referred to as the Broncos at least once.
Watching the goals last night on the espn3 archive, right after Ryan scored, I think the Play-by-play guy called him "Joakim Noah," but maybe I imagined it.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 10:45AM

Sean Ritchlin (color commentator) is a Michigan grad who won 2 national championships at Michigan. I thought he was unbiased in his comments.

I would have liked to see a better replay of the De Swardt major call and more explanation. Some of the other calls were non-penalties in my view. My only beef is that I would have liked to hear their honest views of the penalty calls. Overall it was fine, though.

Posted by: bas23 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 11:08AM

The announcers weren't too bad, but how many different ways are there to pronounce D'Agostino?

Date: March 24, 2012 11:22AM

bas23
The announcers weren't too bad, but how many different ways are there to pronounce D'Agostino?

Everybody knows that apostrophes are pronounced as "i"s.

Posted by: CUrafter (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:13PM

RatushnyFan
Sean Ritchlin (color commentator) is a Michigan grad who won 2 national championships at Michigan. I thought he was unbiased in his comments.

I would have liked to see a better replay of the De Swardt major call and more explanation. Some of the other calls were non-penalties in my view. My only beef is that I would have liked to hear their honest views of the penalty calls. Overall it was fine, though.

Reffing seemed picky, but it was at least picky both ways. After De Swardt's ejection and the Chelios ejection in the Union game, it seems the NCAA has given the refs a zero-tolerance directive. The commentators in the Cornell game were the typical ESPN willy-nilly-agree-with-everything. Even though Melrose couldn't get school/player names right in the Union game, he tore the reffing apart pretty hard which was kind of nice to hear. I'd like to hear his commentary on the reffing crews we had at Lynah this year

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 04:07PM

RatushnyFan
I agree that he did a pretty good job of being unbiased overall. I don't think he knew as much about our guys as he did the about Michigan, which affected his call a little. His affiliation may have leaked out a little bit in the first couple of minutes. But maybe that was just generic announcer hype that rubbed me the wrong way because of the potential for bias.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 05:28PM

One other thing to think about: if the announcers are expecting Michigan to play a second night, they're probably going to do a little more homework on Michigan because they're going to need the info for more than one game.

Ok it's a rationalization,

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: March 26, 2012 03:33PM

KeithK
RatushnyFan
I agree that he did a pretty good job of being unbiased overall. I don't think he knew as much about our guys as he did the about Michigan, which affected his call a little. His affiliation may have leaked out a little bit in the first couple of minutes. But maybe that was just generic announcer hype that rubbed me the wrong way because of the potential for bias.
Anyone calling the game would have sounded like Michigan partisan the first few minutes. Unless he sounded openly disappointed, in which case he'd have sounded like a Big Red booster, the facts were all pro-Michigan until the second "goal" was disallowed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login