Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 4 Dartmouth 3 Game 1 (Friday) Final (2OT)

Posted by Robb 
Cornell 4 Dartmouth 3 Game 1 (Friday) Final (2OT)
Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: March 06, 2012 12:02PM

Per email from Coach Schafer, Brian Ferlin is out for the season. Ouch. :(

I still think we get by Dartmouth in 2 games, but the ceiling for my expectations has lowered just a bit.
Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2012 10:53PM by Robb.

Re: Cornell-Dartmouth Game 1 (Friday) Pregame
Posted by: css228 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 06, 2012 12:17PM

Robb

I still think we get by Dartmouth in 2 games, but the ceiling for my expectations has lowered just a bit.
Really not at all surprising if you saw the cast/splint on his hand/wrist. Even if he gets it off he definitely wouldn't have been able to deal with all the demands hockey puts on that part of your body.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2012 12:22PM

css228
Robb

Really not at all surprising if you saw the cast/splint on his hand/wrist. Even if he gets it off he definitely wouldn't have been able to deal with all the demands hockey puts on that part of your body.

It's not all too surprising with the recovery time and prognosis we expected back when we first heard of the injury. When we heard of it, the earliest that he would have seen playing time would have been beyond the NCAA Regionals Final. Esposito will be back Friday from what I have heard, that will boost the team.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 07, 2012 10:20AM

Brian Sullivan's recent article on USCHO.com discusses Dartmouth and what Cornell might face this weekend.

Brian Sullivan
...the Big Green have struggled mightily on special teams. Dartmouth’s power play is mediocre at best, scoring on 15.5 percent of opportunities so far this season. The penalty kill has been downright horrific, successfully surviving barely 72 percent of Big Green penalties. Yet looking back on last weekend’s surprising first-round sweep at St. Lawrence, Gaudet and the Green aren’t terribly concerned...As for this weekend’s trip to ever-intimidating Lynah Rink, the Big Green feel secure in their knowledge of Cornell as well as their own blossoming abilities.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: March 07, 2012 11:18AM

Aaron M. Griffin
Brian Sullivan's recent article on USCHO.com discusses Dartmouth and what Cornell might face this weekend.

From the same article, we're not the only one with injury woes.

Brian Sullivan
Junior forward Dustin Walsh has played only eight games all season, and sophomore sniper Matt Lindblad missed a number of key contests late in the regular season. And the list goes on beyond that. “Jesse Beamish, as a good freshman player for us, is done for the season. Rick Pinkston’s done for the season: He got hurt on Friday night and Beamish has been out for a few weeks now.” But by far the biggest hurdle has been Walsh’s absence up front. “He’s done for the year,” the coach sighed.

Even one of Gaudet’s top goalies has been playing through pain all year, a fact that was clearly not advertised. “[Senior James] Mello has been injured most of the season,” he said. “It’s hampered his game, but he’s not the type of kid who’s going to say much about it."

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 07, 2012 01:21PM

Aaron M. Griffin

Brian Sullivan
...the Big Green have struggled mightily on special teams. Dartmouth’s power play is mediocre at best, scoring on 15.5 percent of opportunities so far this season. The penalty kill has been downright horrific, successfully surviving barely 72 percent of Big Green penalties. Yet looking back on last weekend’s surprising first-round sweep at St. Lawrence, Gaudet and the Green aren’t terribly concerned...As for this weekend’s trip to ever-intimidating Lynah Rink, the Big Green feel secure in their knowledge of Cornell as well as their own blossoming abilities.
At least his take on Cornell is better than Ken Schott's from a Sunday column.

The fans of the Engineers are the most passionate in ECAC Hockey.
Don't worry, I've already set him straight.smashfreak

Date: March 07, 2012 01:42PM

Jim Hyla
Aaron M. Griffin

Brian Sullivan
At least his take on Cornell is better than Ken Schott's from a Sunday column.

The fans of the Engineers are the most passionate in ECAC Hockey.
Don't worry, I've already set him straight.smashfreak

Glad you did.

I listened to the Jell-O Mold Awarding Ceremony for Union this year and Welsh (I am almost positive it was him, it might have been Zajac) said that Union had the loudest and most dedicated fans in the ECAC, if not all of college hockey, and that he did "not care what those at Cornell had to say about it." I had to laugh. I still cannot get the image of Union fans plugging their ears and wincing in pain when Lynah erupted after each goal and especially after Craig's GWG against Union this season.

Date: March 07, 2012 02:55PM

I know that css228 posted this to another thread, but I figured that it was appropriate for the ECAC Quarterfinal pregame thread for those of you who might have missed it. I was waiting until this week to share it on ELF. It is a video that I made compiling what footage I could obtain of the successes of Cornell in the ECAC Tournament during the Schafer Era.

Cornell Hockey-The Dream-Crushing, Soul-Devouring Juggernaut of the ECAC

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2012 04:58PM

You could have filled it out to an even 10 minutes if you'd got a hold of the footage of the 1997 team icing the puck against Clarkson in the 3rd period of the title game. :-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2012 07:08PM

jtwcornell91
You could have filled it out to an even 10 minutes lifetime if you'd got a hold of the footage of the 1997 team icing the puck against Clarkson in the 3rd period of the title game. :-D

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2012 07:17PM

Robb
jtwcornell91
You could have filled it out to an even 10 minutes lifetime if you'd got a hold of the footage of the 1997 team icing the puck against Clarkson in the 3rd period of the title game. :-D

That team won the championship through sheer willpower and discipline... because it wasn't the talent...

"Oatsie, Oatsie, Oatsie!"

Date: March 07, 2012 07:44PM

Scersk '97
Robb
jtwcornell91

That team won the championship through sheer willpower and discipline... because it wasn't the talent...

"Oatsie, Oatsie, Oatsie!"

Now I feel like I have missed out. I do not know the stories of that 1997 game (even though I can imagine from the comments).

My video is kinda long-winded, I know, but I wanted to use the great footage I had and ending at 2010 it is around 4:10, but I wanted J. Devin's OT series-winning goal in the ECAC QFs from last season, and highlights from key wins and players from this season.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2012 08:00PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Now I feel like I have missed out. I do not know the stories of that 1997 game (even though I can imagine from the comments).
Picture dragging the puck along the boards while three guys try to dig it out from you. Now imagine that for 35 minutes.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 07, 2012 09:12PM

Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin
Picture dragging the puck along the boards while three guys try to dig it out from you. Now imagine that for 35 minutes.
leading 2-1 late against a much more talented Clarkson team, we spent the last 5+ minutes of the game (clock time) icing the puck. Literally. Dig the puck out of the corner and throw it down the ice. Change. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.... A very satisfying win but a very, very scary, tense way to do it.

Outshot 12-2 in the third that game.
[www.elynah.com]

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-12.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2012 07:44AM

KeithK
Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin
leading 2-1 late against a much more talented Clarkson team, we spent the last 5+ minutes of the game (clock time) icing the puck. Literally. Dig the puck out of the corner and throw it down the ice. Change. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.... A very satisfying win but a very, very scary, tense way to do it.

[www.elynah.com]

And no changes in personnel would be allowed under current rules.

Date: March 08, 2012 09:00AM

marty
KeithK
Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin

[www.elynah.com]

And no changes in personnel would be allowed under current rules.

And people say Schafer can't change his coaching style to adapt to rule changes. rolleyes

Date: March 09, 2012 08:42AM

Fleischman's article that previews the Dartmouth-Cornell ECAC Quarterfinal matchup.

Tom Fleischman
Nearly all hands were on deck for Tuesday's practice -- junior defenseman Nick D'Agostino had a relapse and couldn't skate -- and Schafer said following the workout that the team was rounding back into form.

I don't like the sound of that.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 08:49AM

D'Ags has had three more days since that skate, so hopefully he will be ready. My bigger worry is Espo. Since high ankle sprains take forever to heal he won't actually be "better," but hopefully he'll have manageable pain levels.

The various injuries have highlighted that this team has almost no "marginal" players. Kevin Cole seems to have a ways to go, Dias is a little shaky, and the backup goalies are unknowns, but other than that every guy on the roster seems to be at least the equal of an "average" starter on a normal roster. That's very useful depth.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2012 08:51AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: BMac (---.demarc.cogentco.com)
Date: March 09, 2012 09:19AM

Isn't a severe high ankle sprain what Gallagher had a few years back when he scored the coast-to-coast goal to tie Princeton in the ECAC SF?

Posted by: snert1288 (---.uhmc.sunysb.edu)
Date: March 09, 2012 09:54AM

I believe that was Evan Barlow who went coast to coast in order to make it a 3-2 game back in 2009 against Princeton. Then, Riley Nash scored the tying goal with less than a minute to go. I think Gallagher was playing with the high ankle sprain during the 2010 post season run. Although, I don't recall any important tying goals.

Date: March 09, 2012 09:57AM

snert1288
I believe that was Evan Barlow who went coast to coast in order to make it a 3-2 game back in 2009 against Princeton. Then, Riley Nash scored the tying goal with less than a minute to go.

You are correct.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: March 09, 2012 09:58AM

Trotsky
D'Ags has had three more days since that skate, so hopefully he will be ready. My bigger worry is Espo. Since high ankle sprains take forever to heal he won't actually be "better," but hopefully he'll have manageable pain levels.

The various injuries have highlighted that this team has almost no "marginal" players. Kevin Cole seems to have a ways to go, Dias is a little shaky, and the backup goalies are unknowns, but other than that every guy on the roster seems to be at least the equal of an "average" starter on a normal roster. That's very useful depth.

Even if the high ankle sprain affects him during the game, Espo should be good enough to dance the night away afterwards.

Date: March 09, 2012 10:00AM

CHN ECAC preview

The sense is that Cornell is one year away from being dominant again. But despite growing pains this season, including a stretch where it was uncharacteristically losing many third-period leads, the Big Red still find themselves on the cusp of an NCAA bid. Some tough non-league losses, such as the OT heartbreaker to Boston University at Madison Square Garden, and to Massachusetts in the Florida tournament, set back Cornell. But it still has a chance if it can get through this round. Another uncharacteristic part of Cornell's season is that its special teams have been mediocre. But 5-on-5, this is a strong, well-round unit, and Andy Iles is solid in goal.

Cornell's only loss since Jan. 28 was to RPI in the last regular-season game of the year, in overtime, a game that cost the Big Red first place. Cornell has played 11 overtime games this season, and one of the wins came against Dartmouth on Jan. 20. Cornell also won an early-season meeting.

The Big Green followed a seven-game winless streak by winning four of the last five entering this weekend, including last week's two-game sweep at St. Lawrence. Dartmouth has had a lot of players put up disappointing offensive years — players they thought they could count on coming into this season. It's made for a disappointing campaign. But lately that has shown signs of perking up. If it continues, this will be a long series. Someone it didn't expect was sophomore Eric Robinson, who wound up leading the team in goals to this point with 12. Senior Doug Jones only had seven goals by mid-February, but has scored four since then.

Prediction: Cornell in 3.

Date: March 09, 2012 10:10AM

Trotsky
CHN ECAC preview

The sense is that Cornell is third periods away from being dominant again. But despite growing pains this season, including a stretch where it was uncharacteristically losing many third-period leads, the Big Red still find themselves on the cusp of an NCAA bid. Some tough non-league losses, such as the OT heartbreaker to Boston University at Madison Square Garden, and to Massachusetts in the Florida tournament, set back Cornell. But it still has a chance if it can get through this round. Another uncharacteristic part of Cornell's season is that its special teams have been mediocre. But 5-on-5, this is a strong, well-round unit, and Andy Iles is solid in goal.

Cornell's only loss since Jan. 28 was to RPI in the last regular-season game of the year, in overtime, a game that cost the Big Red first place. Cornell has played 11 overtime games this season, and one of the wins came against Dartmouth on Jan. 20. Cornell also won an early-season meeting.

The Big Green followed a seven-game winless streak by winning four of the last five entering this weekend, including last week's two-game sweep at St. Lawrence. Dartmouth has had a lot of players put up disappointing offensive years — players they thought they could count on coming into this season. It's made for a disappointing campaign. But lately that has shown signs of perking up. If it continues, this will be a long series. Someone it didn't expect was sophomore Eric Robinson, who wound up leading the team in goals to this point with 12. Senior Doug Jones only had seven goals by mid-February, but has scored four since then.

Prediction: Cornell in 3.

FCHNP

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 11:20AM

snert1288
I believe that was Evan Barlow who went coast to coast in order to make it a 3-2 game back in 2009 against Princeton. Then, Riley Nash scored the tying goal with less than a minute to go. I think Gallagher was playing with the high ankle sprain during the 2010 post season run. Although, I don't recall any important tying goals.
Gallagher's ankle sprain was in 2009.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-13.myvzw.com)
Date: March 09, 2012 11:59AM

Barlow! Third Period.

Posted by: mha (---.lightlink.com)
Date: March 09, 2012 02:42PM

I hope everyone's bringing our buddy Bob Gaudet some Lynah love tonight...

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 09, 2012 02:59PM

You know about that Alabama student who got some fame for his face?

Yeah, that.

mha

Date: March 09, 2012 06:33PM

What is the video link for tonight's game? I will risk B2 (if that's what it is).

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2012 06:40PM

Gaudet's son is on the team. Time for a "nepotism" chant.

Date: March 09, 2012 07:04PM

Trotsky
What is the video link for tonight's game? I will risk B2 (if that's what it is).
well, I've paid for it through www.b2tv.com, but haven't seen a frame of video yet.... The links at www.cornellbigred.com also get you there.

Re: Cornell 3 Dartmouth 3 Game 1 (Friday) 3rd intermission
Posted by: bnr24 (---.dhcp.drexel.edu)
Date: March 09, 2012 09:25PM

Not to be a homer, but this officiating is some of the worst I've ever seen...

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 09:37PM

bnr24
Not according to the Dartmouth announcers.

Posted by: bnr24 (---.dhcp.drexel.edu)
Date: March 09, 2012 10:14PM

dbilmes
bnr24
Not according to the Dartmouth announcers.

Ha true. What can I say, when there are 4 missed blatant calls in one period, I start to get suspicious. It's appeared *slightly* better into overtime. But then again, I started to think the cameramen were getting better when in reality it's still just as bad and I'm getting used to it.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 11:02PM

yessssssssssssssssss

Posted by: DL (---.netvigator.com)
Date: March 09, 2012 11:11PM

At the rate that we've been OT'ing, one has to wonder if Schafer makes them practice in 4-period games.

Date: March 09, 2012 11:23PM

AFAIK, that was the longest winning game in Cornell history.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 12:54AM

So was anything said about the Dartmouth coaches yelling at the refs after it was over? They were quite intense.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 12:57AM

Jim Hyla
So was anything said about the Dartmouth coaches yelling at the refs after it was over? They were quite intense.

I think they were upset that Cornell was offside on the rush leading to the game-winning goal. From my angle on the other blue line, I thought we were off, and said so to my daughter, just before we scored. We may have gotten away with one there.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 01:04AM

andyw2100
Jim Hyla

I think they were upset that Cornell was offside on the rush leading to the game-winning goal. From my angle on the other blue line, I thought we were off, and said so to my daughter, just before we scored. We may have gotten away with one there.
They really should be more upset about their team leaving the slot completely open as Whitney walked in to snipe the winner.

Re: Cornell 4 Dartmouth 3 Game 1 (Friday) Final (2OT)
Date: March 10, 2012 01:11AM

Someone correct me if I am wrong (as if I have to ask for correction if I am in fact wrong), but is it not standard for the teams to shake hands after each playoff game? I found Dartmouth's sulking off the ice tonight both humorous and perhaps unsportsmanlike. I cannot remember if Harvard and Cornell shook hands after each game in 2010 (the last ECAC QF before Game 1 of this series that I attended in person). Perhaps a minor detail, but I found it classless, especially if it violates typical protocol.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 01:16AM

Aaron M. Griffin
Someone correct me if I am wrong (as if I have to ask for correction if I am in fact wrong), but is it not standard for the teams to shake hands after each playoff game? I found Dartmouth's sulking off the ice tonight both humorous and perhaps unsportsmanlike. I cannot remember if Harvard and Cornell shook hands after each game in 2010 (the last ECAC QF before Game 1 of this series that I attended in person). Perhaps a minor detail, but I found it classless, especially if it violates typical protocol.

If I remember correctly, in the 3 game playoff series the teams never shake hands until the series is decided.

Date: March 10, 2012 01:18AM

Aaron M. Griffin

Yup, you're wrong. Teams never (and now someone will probably correct me, as perhaps once in a blue moon it happens) shake hands after games in a series with games remaining to be played.

Posted by: RM 08 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)

Regardless of series length, opposing hockey teams only shake hands after the series is decided.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)

Aaron M. Griffin

In a multi-game playoff series, the teams shake hands at the end of the series. Thus in this instance, Dartmouth's conduct was fine.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 08:54AM

RM 08
Regardless of series length, opposing hockey teams only shake hands after the series is decided.

Best of seven?

But yes, there was no Union RPI line for greetings after their game on Friday. It was amazing how quick RPI retreated to their locker room.

Date: March 10, 2012 09:00AM

Rita
Aaron M. Griffin

In a multi-game playoff series, the teams shake hands at the end of the series. Thus in this instance, Dartmouth's conduct was fine.

Thanks. I just wanted to check. The scene that Gaudet was making with his screaming probably just cast an air around the end of the game so it seemed like a snub, and I could not recall if it was. The most I remember from the end of the 2010 ECAC QFs was the winning team/losing team and season's over chants after Game 2.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: TimV (---.sub-174-255-16.myvzw.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 09:28AM

RPI has always had a lot of speed.nut

Posted by: TimV (---.sub-174-255-16.myvzw.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 09:32AM

Aaron now holds the record with 5 corrections. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Date: March 10, 2012 09:33AM

andyw2100
Aaron M. Griffin

Yup, you're wrong. Teams never (and now someone will probably correct me, as perhaps once in a blue moon it happens) shake hands after games in a series with games remaining to be played.

It is however standard for someone to notice and get offended that there was no handshake after game one. Welcome aboard! (No insult intended; veteran posters have done this dating back to the cave-painting days of HOCKEY-L.)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 10:16AM

jtwcornell91
It is however standard for someone to notice and get offended that there was no handshake after game one. Welcome aboard! (No insult intended; veteran posters have done this dating back to the cave-painting days of HOCKEY-L.)
Those images you could see.

Date: March 10, 2012 10:49AM

jtwcornell91
andyw2100
Aaron M. Griffin

:-) Thanks. I feel more a part of the ELF community now.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 11:12AM

Aaron M. Griffin
jtwcornell91
andyw2100
Aaron M. Griffin

Jerk.

(Just starting the finishing touches of your initiation, that's all) B-]

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 11:32AM

Jim Hyla

Gaudetting has become an acceptable form of coaching behavior. Rose, however, wouldn't let it go & I thought he was going to lose his biscuits.

Date: March 10, 2012 11:46AM

I fully expect a large fight to break out tonight near the end of the game (or tomorrow if Dartmouth wins tonight). Both teams were getting chippy last night, the refs didn't have much control, and there were a few minor skirmishes. Also, I can't imagine either team is happy that key players had to leave the ice at various times due to injury, even though they all returned eventually (Esposito, Miller, D'Agastino, and Mowrey for Cornell, and Gaudet for Dartmouth).

Speaking of Miller's injury, he was down for a long time and in section A we thought he was concussed. Does anybody know how he was able to get back in so soon? Was he risking making a concussion worse? What actually happened to him? All the other players we could sort of tell what happened (Mowrey got hit in the head, I think by the puck, Esposito and D'Ags limped off the ice, and Gaudet left clutching his wrist).

Posted by: TheMatrix (---.ccmr.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2012 11:58AM

Whitney's GWG:

Espo #1:

Espo #2 (Cornell scores twice):

Mowrey (Gotta love Miller):

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2012 12:32PM by TheMatrix.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 12:28PM

ithacat
Jim Hyla

Gaudetting has become an acceptable form of coaching behavior. Rose, however, wouldn't let it go & I thought he was going to lose his biscuits.
After looking at the GWG video by TheMatrix, I don't think we were as off sides as we thought. Here's a snap shot of the moment the puck crossed the blue line.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 12:33PM

ajh258
ithacat
Jim Hyla

After looking at the GWG video by TheMatrix, I don't think we were as off sides as we thought. Here's a snap shot of the moment the puck crossed the blue line.
Nice. Thanks.

Posted by: TheMatrix (---.ccmr.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2012 12:37PM

Our man in the center appears to remain onside as the puck crosses, but it is definitely quite close. I don't remember if the LW was onside or not, but he is not visible in the video.

Date: March 10, 2012 12:39PM

I'm pretty sure that Esposito's first goal was actually kicked in by a Dartmouth player, but it's hard to tell for sure in the video.

Posted by: MikeWalsh (---.calsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2012 12:45PM

It went off of Boldt, and from my view he was the primary reason it went in. Also, the second Cornell goal was scored on his penalty soon after.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 12:46PM

I would also, regardless of what happens tonight, like to nominate Espo for the Ironman award.

What an effort!!

cheer

Date: March 10, 2012 12:53PM

Johnny 5
I would also, regardless of what happens tonight, like to nominate Espo for the Ironman award.

What an effort!!

cheer

That was definitely a great performance by him last night. He must have been playing through considerable pain, but he still got 3 points. When he was helped off the ice, you could see on his face how much pain he was in, but he came back out about 5 minutes later and fought through it.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2012 01:11PM

Also, I'm quite sure the second goal was D'Agostino's. His initial shot went under the crossbar and back out quickly. It was fairly inconsequential since Espo knocked in the rebound, but those of us with a good view of it were pretty sure the first shot went in.

Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 01:17PM

CowbellGuy
Also, I'm quite sure the second goal was D'Agostino's. His initial shot went under the crossbar and back out quickly. It was fairly inconsequential since Espo knocked in the rebound, but those of us with a good view of it were pretty sure the first shot went in.
I thought the same.

And yeah, incredibly gutsy performance by Espo.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 01:37PM

looks like a good call with that video.. shows how things look in real time are not always as obvious as it seems especially from 40 yds away like most of the crowd was ..

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 01:56PM

...Except for the voice-over exclaiming (Cornell was) "way off-side." Ha ha ha.

Since the LW was invisible on the video, the video clip itself is inconclusive at best.
Nonetheless, a win is a win and I will take it.

Date: March 10, 2012 02:42PM

ajh258
Nice work. In real time, on first viewing, it looks like there was no way that the play was onside, but the second time it did look like he was able to hold up just enough for the puck to cross - though Whitney seems to be way far behind. A genuinely good, tough call by the ref.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 02:52PM

I also figured the offside must have been someone on the LW out of the picture, since nobody in the video appears even close to offside.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 03:38PM

if the LW was off sides he also never moved for the rest of the play which would have been strange with a play going to the net.. no cu player ever appears.

Date: March 10, 2012 06:47PM

Jordan 04
I also figured the offside must have been someone on the LW out of the picture, since nobody in the video appears even close to offside.
When we reacted to it in real time it was, at least for me, the C who seemed way offside. But that freeze frame makes it look like a good non-call.

Date: March 10, 2012 06:53PM

I think the offsides confusion is because the other player (can't see the number) does cut in front of Whitney, and stays ahead of Whitney down the slot, so your brain just assumes that he was in over the blue line first, too. The still shot clearly shows that the crossing occurred *after* the puck was already over the blue line, so they were both onsides. I also wonder if the fact that it looked offsides may have caused the Dartmouth players to hesitate for just a split second, which is why none of them made a move to stop Whitney from driving down the slot.

Date: March 10, 2012 07:13PM

Robb
I think the offsides confusion is because the other player (can't see the number) does cut in front of Whitney, and stays ahead of Whitney down the slot, so your brain just assumes that he was in over the blue line first, too. The still shot clearly shows that the crossing occurred *after* the puck was already over the blue line, so they were both onsides. I also wonder if the fact that it looked offsides may have caused the Dartmouth players to hesitate for just a split second, which is why none of them made a move to stop Whitney from driving down the slot.
I think this is exactly right.

Date: March 10, 2012 10:32PM

The other thing that made the play look offside is that Whitney skates along the blue line before moving into the zone. The puck was already in before the other player went in, which we can see from the video and the still, but those of us watching in real-time probably thought Whitney took the puck in with him after moving along the blue line as opposed to before. I expect that's what the Dartmouth coaches thought too.

Date: March 11, 2012 03:21AM

RichH
Aaron M. Griffin
jtwcornell91
andyw2100
Aaron M. Griffin

Jerk.
Typical. rolleyes

(Just starting the finishing touches of your initiation, that's all) B-]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login