Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lowe's Senior Class Award_Vote for Keir Ross

Posted by Rita 
Lowe's Senior Class Award_Vote for Keir Ross
Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: February 01, 2012 12:15PM

The Cornell University press blurb:

vote here:

You may remember that Colin Greening won the award in 2010.

Re: Lowe's Senior Class Award_Vote for Keir Ross
Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: February 01, 2012 01:09PM

Also of note: unlike Hobey, fan voting actually matters as it is 1/3 of the total score. You can vote once per day at the link Rita provided and also once per day on the CLASS Facebook page.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 01, 2012 01:28PM

Robb
Also of note: unlike Hobey, fan voting actually matters as it is 1/3 of the total score. You can vote once per day at the link Rita provided and also once per day on the CLASS Facebook page.
And if I remember correctly, once per day per computer. (Or per address?)

Date: February 01, 2012 01:33PM

Completely unrelated, but reading his bio reminded me to ask: where can I find +/- stats for all college players? Anyone know?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2012 02:33PM

Jim Hyla
Completely unrelated, but reading his bio reminded me to ask: where can I find +/- stats for all college players? Anyone know?

If it's not on collegehockeystats.net, it's unlikely to be anywhere. They don't seem to be reporting it anywhere, which is just as well since it's such a useless stat. ;)

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2012 01:24AM

Jim Hyla
Robb
And if I remember correctly, once per day per computer. (Or per address?)

Likely once for each IP address. So once at home, once at work and once on your smartphone when connected by cell tower rather than wifi.

Date: February 02, 2012 07:40AM

Ross is on top, keep those cards and letters coming.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2012 07:49AM

Ross is in second place at 21.1% to Weisgarber at 23.9%. Keep voting.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2012 04:22PM

Just a reminder to keep voting. Keir is no longer in the lead.

Posted by: dag14 (---.ag.cornell.edu)
Date: February 06, 2012 05:10PM

We need to vote. Keir Ross may drop to third place if the faithful don't step it up.

Date: February 07, 2012 07:56AM

dag14
We need to vote. Keir Ross may drop to third place if the faithful don't step it up.

He has dropped to third. Behind Air Force and Notre Dame, so we have our work cut out. Remember, home, work, smartphone, and anyone's computer you can find.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2012 01:26PM

Jim Hyla
dag14

He has dropped to third. Behind Air Force and Notre Dame, so we have our work cut out. Remember, home, work, smartphone, and anyone's computer you can find.

Now a distant third. And for some reason the Facebook app thinks I've already voted today.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 12:13PM

CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla
If it's not on collegehockeystats.net, it's unlikely to be anywhere. They don't seem to be reporting it anywhere, which is just as well since it's such a useless stat. ;)
What stats would you rate higher? Adjusted plus-minus, relative to team even-strength GF-GA? Or was that said tongue-in-cheek?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 12:15PM by billhoward.

Date: February 09, 2012 12:20PM

billhoward
CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla
What stats would you rate higher? Adjusted plus-minus, relative to team even-strength GF-GA? Or was that said tongue-in-cheek?

+/- is already adjusted to even strength/SH only. It's just a useless stat because it's meaningless. If you're a top-2 defenseman, you're probably always out against the other team's best forwards. A 5/6 D-man might have better +/- but does that mean he's a better defenseman? If I skated as the third man with the Sedins, my +/- would probably be pretty good. Should that say anything about what I actually contributed? Useless stat.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: February 09, 2012 12:40PM

CowbellGuy
billhoward
CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla

+/- is already adjusted to even strength/SH only. It's just a useless stat because it's meaningless. If you're a top-2 defenseman, you're probably always out against the other team's best forwards. A 5/6 D-man might have better +/- but does that mean he's a better defenseman? If I skated as the third man with the Sedins, my +/- would probably be pretty good. Should that say anything about what I actually contributed? Useless stat.

Otherwise known as the "J.C. Ruid effect."

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 05:29PM

Is there a stat you'd rate higher, or do you find stats not meaningful in ice hockey?

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: February 09, 2012 06:20PM

billhoward
Is there a stat you'd rate higher, or do you find stats not meaningful in ice hockey?
As opposed to field hockey, where stats tell you everything.

Date: February 10, 2012 10:13AM

billhoward

I think stats are very meaningful. Just not that one. And unfortunately due to the nature of the game, there aren't really many stats in hockey that tell you much. Goals, assists, blocked shots, hits, time-on-ice, face-off percentage are useful. Shots and scoring percentage are somewhat meaningful. And game-winning goal is another meaningless stat. +/- was just a desperate attempt to force an all-encompassing stat into the game that can't have one.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: February 10, 2012 03:38PM

But how many goals and assists that you have is clearly a function of who is on the ice with you. Ryan Vesce scored his NHL goals when he was on a line with Joe Thornton, not when he was the fourth line center. So I am not sure why goals/assists is any better an indicator of individual value than +/-.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2012 11:50PM

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I actually do find +/- useful -- you just have to take it with a grain of salt. I mean, we all agree that scoring goals is good, and we all agree that not letting the other guys score is good, right? And I think we all intuit that there are forwards who are bad at defense, and forwards who play a two-way game. So yes, you have to make sure to do an apples-to-apples comparison -- for instance, the +/-s of comparable players (first line forwards against first line forwards, top-2 defensemen against top-2 defensemen, etc). That doesn't mean you throw the whole stat away, though.

I agree about the GWG, though. The only times I've ever thought it was a halfway meaningful stat was when I was the one who scored it.

Posted by: Weder (144.142.12.---)
Date: February 11, 2012 07:14PM

I'm not a big stats person, but these guys have been getting a fair amount of publicity lately:
[www.sportsanalyticsinstitute.com]

Date: February 13, 2012 10:08AM

Roy 82
But how many goals and assists that you have is clearly a function of who is on the ice with you. Ryan Vesce scored his NHL goals when he was on a line with Joe Thornton, not when he was the fourth line center. So I am not sure why goals/assists is any better an indicator of individual value than +/-.

Sure, it's a function of who you're on the ice with, but if you're picking up points, you're at least touching the puck and in on the play. I could, however, be sitting inside my net picking my nose and and still collect plusses while the rest of my team does all the work.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 13, 2012 11:41AM

CowbellGuy
Roy 82

Sure, it's a function of who you're on the ice with, but if you're picking up points, you're at least touching the puck and in on the play. I could, however, be sitting inside my net picking my nose and and still collect plusses while the rest of my team does all the work.

Come on, that's a bit of a straw man. Chances are pretty good that if you did that, your team would be a lot less effective than if you were making plays -- and everyone, including you, would suffer on the +/-. I don't think anyone is arguing that your teammates don't affect your +/-, but if you're looking for a hockey stat that measures an individual's abilities divorced of his teammates', you won't find it anywhere other than the All Star's skills competition.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 11:41AM by ftyuv.

Date: February 13, 2012 01:00PM

ftyuv
CowbellGuy
Roy 82

Come on, that's a bit of a straw man. Chances are pretty good that if you did that, your team would be a lot less effective than if you were making plays -- and everyone, including you, would suffer on the +/-. I don't think anyone is arguing that your teammates don't affect your +/-, but if you're looking for a hockey stat that measures an individual's abilities divorced of his teammates', you won't find it anywhere other than the All Star's skills competition.

I'm not looking for stats that are completely divorced from your teammates, but I'm also not looking for a stat from which the player in question can be completely divorced.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 13, 2012 05:49PM

CowbellGuy
ftyuv
CowbellGuy
Roy 82

I'm not looking for stats that are completely divorced from your teammates, but I'm also not looking for a stat from which the player in question can be completely divorced.

I guess I'm saying that if your argument that +/- is such a stat is backed only by your nose-picking net-sitter example, I'm not convinced.

Date: February 20, 2012 07:13AM

He's now 4th, so vote.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2012 09:13AM

I can no longer vote for Keir using the Dolphin Mini (browser) on my Android phone. (The reason that Dophin mini is my browser of choice has to do with reading forums such as this message board. Unless ELynah supports tapatalk at some point I am wed to Dolphin Mini.)

I can vote using the stock browser and would like all reading here to vote with their phones on a daily basis.panic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login