Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 1 Clarkson 1

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 1 Clarkson 1
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 01:26PM

I'm going to keep starting game threads until something bad happens.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 09:35PM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell at Clarkson (pregame)
Posted by: cbuckser (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 04:51PM

[url=/photo/1]Clarkson's line sheet[/url] has been distributed.

Per Brandon Thomas, Cornell's lines are:

Lowry-Collins-McCarron
Mowrey-Miller-Ferlin
Dias-Bardreau-Jillson
de Swardt-Axell-Mihalek
D'Agostino-Ryan
Birch-Whitney
Gotovets-Ross
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 06:02PM by cbuckser.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 17, 2012 05:30PM

Trotsky
I'm going to keep starting game threads until something bad happens.

You forgot to capitalize "Something Bad."

Let's take it to Casey.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2012 06:18PM

cbuckser
[url=/photo/1]Clarkson's line sheet[/url] has been distributed.

Per Brandon Thomas, Cornell's lines are:

Lowry-Collins-McCarron
Mowrey-Miller-Ferlin
Dias-Bardreau-Jillson
de Swardt-Axell-Mihalek
D'Agostino-Ryan
Birch-Whitney
Gotovets-Ross[/quote]

This team really misses Esposito, I hope he's ok for SLU.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 06:37PM

pfibiger
Schafer said in the pre-game he is out until the playoffs.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2012 06:48PM

Trotsky
pfibiger

What happened? He played last weekend. Did he aggravate his injury by playing?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 07:09PM

jtn27
Trotsky
pfibiger

What happened? He played last weekend. Did he aggravate his injury by playing?
Just tweaked it. It sounds like it isn't any more injured, it just hurts too much to play.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 07:55PM

if we can get a first round bye he could get almost 4 weeks off.. worth it if it will help

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.corp.tfbnw.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 09:35PM

upprdeck
if we can get a first round bye he could get almost 4 weeks off.. worth it if it will help

According to USCHO's live scores widget, Harvard and Brown played to a draw. If that's true, Cornell clinched a top 4 finish with the tie tonight.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 10:03PM

Tom Lento
upprdeck

According to USCHO's live scores widget, Harvard and Brown played to a draw. If that's true, Cornell clinched a top 4 finish with the tie tonight.
I don't think so. We still could finish tied with Clarkson and would lose the tiebreaker on total wins (11-10, giving the Knights the three more wins they'd need to catch us).

Posted by: bnr24 (---.dhcp.drexel.edu)
Date: February 17, 2012 10:23PM

KeithK
Tom Lento
upprdeck

I don't think so. We still could finish tied with Clarkson and would lose the tiebreaker on total wins (11-10, giving the Knights the three more wins they'd need to catch us).
In order to clinch, we just need a tie or win tomorrow night. Clarkson and Quinnipiac are both at 20 points, so even if they win the last three games of the season, if we get to 27, we're out of their reach. A win tonight would've done it (given that Clarkson was at 19 and Quinnipiac at 18), but a tie or win tomorrow night will do it as well.

Re: Cornell 1 Clarkson 1
Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2012 11:44PM

From the Cornell Big Red Men's Hockey Facebook page:

Cornell Big Red Men's Hockey
Final Score Cornell 1 - Clarkson 1 - A single season record for ties with 7 for Cornell! We will have to wait until tomorrow nights game with a win or a tie against St. Lawrence to clinch a first round playoff bye.

Whoever it is in the athletic department that runs this thing is way too excited about a tie. Also, this should clear up the confusion of what we need to do to get a first round bye.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, we'll lock up the number 1 seed if we win out regardless of what Union does because the tiebreaker is head to head record.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2012 11:52PM

jtn27
Also, if I'm not mistaken, we'll lock up the number 1 seed if we win out regardless of what Union does because the tiebreaker is head to head record.

Correct-amundo

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jkahn (---.uninet-ide.com.mx)
Date: February 18, 2012 12:16AM

jtn27

Final Score Cornell 1 - Clarkson 1 - A single season record for ties with 7 for Cornell! We will have to wait until tomorrow nights game with a win or a tie against St. Lawrence to clinch a first round playoff bye.

Whoever it is in the athletic department that runs this thing is way too excited about a tie. Also, this should clear up the confusion of what we need to do to get a first round bye.

We've already clinched the bye. Clarkson still has a game left with Harvard. If Clarkson wins out, then Harvard can't catch us.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 12:25AM

bnr24
KeithK
Tom Lento
upprdeck

In order to clinch, we just need a tie or win tomorrow night. Clarkson and Quinnipiac are both at 20 points, so even if they win the last three games of the season, if we get to 27, we're out of their reach. A win tonight would've done it (given that Clarkson was at 19 and Quinnipiac at 18), but a tie or win tomorrow night will do it as well.

Actually, I'm pretty sure we clinched tonight, given that a Clarkson tie means we don't tie with Harvard and vice versa. And Quinnipiac sucks.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2012 01:30AM

jkahn
jtn27

We've already clinched the bye. Clarkson still has a game left with Harvard. If Clarkson wins out, then Harvard can't catch us.
Yes, and we win any 3 way with Q, Clk, and us. You'd think someone in the Athletic Dept would read eLynah and know about JTW's script.:-} I think I'll email Brandon Thomas.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 08:31AM

However, again they squandered a lead in period 3 & were left with a (program record?) tie.
Given their play of late, plus the number of bumps & bruises (is Ferlin hurt now?) do they have any reasonable chance of advancing this season?
thud

Posted by: Dafatone (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 09:07AM

Johnny 5
However, again they squandered a lead in period 3 & were left with a (program record?) tie.
Given their play of late, plus the number of bumps & bruises (is Ferlin hurt now?) do they have any reasonable chance of advancing this season?
thud

Sure. Clarkson's not a bad team this year, and it's a road game. Maybe I'm just an optimist, but this team's still, at worst, about as good as expected at the start of the year.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 10:20AM

KeithK
Tom Lento
upprdeck

As others have pointed out, this is only possible if Cornell finishes ahead of Harvard (since it requires a Harvard loss), which puts Clarkson in 3rd and Cornell in 4th. As for QC, the Deer Ticks can't get to the top 4 without finishing ahead of both Harvard and Clarkson on points, which puts Cornell into 3rd.

1 point for Cornell will clinch a top-3 finish, and of course 6 points will clinch first overall.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 10:25AM by Tom Lento.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2012 10:46AM

Dafatone
Johnny 5
thud

Sure. Clarkson's not a bad team this year, and it's a road game. Maybe I'm just an optimist, but this team's still, at worst, about as good as expected at the start of the year.

There was a time when you couldn't take any points in the North Country for granted.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2012 10:59AM

Johnny 5
thud

That depends on what you mean by "advance"

Cornell has a bye into the second round of the ECAC playoffs, so "advance" can mean one of the following:

1) Get to Atlantic City. Cornell has taken 12 out of 14 possible points from the current 5-8 teams (1 game remaining against SLU), and 10 out of 14 from the bottom 4 (1 game remaining against RPI). There are some tough matchups out there, but overall I like Cornell's chances here.

2) Advance to the NCAAs. The only sure route is winning the ECAC tournament. If the standings hold and the top 3 all hold seed throughout, Cornell would need to beat Colgate (2-0-0 against the Big Red) and Union (0-0-1 against the Big Red). It's possible, certainly - the three teams are not that far apart in terms of the quality of their seasons - but Cornell's results in these matchups are not so good. I'd say it's a toss-up at best, but probably more like a 1/3 or 1/4 shot. With just the right combination of opponents, a 1-loss exit from the ECAC tournament, and a whole bunch of other beneficial results Cornell might also sneak in to the NCAA tournament via the PWR. The odds of this are vanishingly small.

3) Advance past the first round of the NCAAs - that would be an amazing outcome for this season. Anything is possible, but this isn't likely as Cornell will almost certainly end up as a 4-seed with an ECAC tournament win, and would probably be 15th overall if an at-large should somehow materialize. Also, this is getting way ahead of the rest of the season, so I'm guessing that's not what you meant.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2012 11:16AM

Jim Hyla
jkahn
jtn27

Yes, and we win any 3 way with Q, Clk, and us. You'd think someone in the Athletic Dept would read eLynah and know about JTW's script.:-} I think I'll email Brandon Thomas.
Well, someone at CU listens.:-)Actually Brandon responded and changed the CBR site to show that we clinched. Now if we could only get him to fix the Redcast.:-O

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login