Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Seating @ Union

Posted by jts15 
Seating @ Union
Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2012 03:35PM

I'm not very familiar with their rink and just wondering if someone can help me out with choosing seating for the road Union game. I have 2 little ones so I don't want to sit in front of the band or the home team's student section. Where are the Faithful usually located? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Upon further searching I found an archived page for the old College Hockey Travel Guide. I also fond out that children under 3 on your lap are free. Can anyone confirm the info below?:

Other than those games, tickets can generally be obtained right before the game. Opposing fans generally sit in sections 5,6,K and L. Students sit in section Q,and 9-14. $2 upcharge for RPI, Cornell and Clarkson. Supply and Demand at its finest.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2012 04:19PM by jts15.

Re: Seating @ Union
Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: January 18, 2012 05:17PM

jts15
I'm not very familiar with their rink and just wondering if someone can help me out with choosing seating for the road Union game. I have 2 little ones so I don't want to sit in front of the band or the home team's student section. Where are the Faithful usually located? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Upon further searching I found an archived page for the old College Hockey Travel Guide. I also fond out that children under 3 on your lap are free. Can anyone confirm the info below?:

Other than those games, tickets can generally be obtained right before the game. Opposing fans generally sit in sections 5,6,K and L. Students sit in section Q,and 9-14. $2 upcharge for RPI, Cornell and Clarkson. Supply and Demand at its finest.

There always seems to be several pockets of Red scattered around. 5,6 seems right, but I remember having a block of CU fans in 7-9, with the band usually in the front of 7. You could always call the CU ticket office to see where our allotment has us.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2012 05:35PM

Section 7 is Cornell's student section, although a lot of alumni and family end up sitting there. If the band comes, they will be seated in I or J. Sections 5 and 6 also have a good Cornell presence, usually alumni.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 18, 2012 05:43PM

RichH
jts15

Edit:

There always seems to be several pockets of Red scattered around. 5,6 seems right, but I remember having a block of CU fans in 7-9, with the band usually in the front of 7. You could always call the CU ticket office to see where our allotment has us.
I think you're both right, with seats in all of the above. The CC of Capital District always has seats and they are generally in the 5-6 area, but not just they sit there. I don't know if the other CU fans in those sections maybe get their tix from Union? From CU I've always been in the 7-8 section with the band in front. Those 2 corners of the rink are CU. With 2 little ones and cheering for CU, definitely stay away from the student sections. None too friendly.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 10:31PM

Union has pockets of horses asses, students who arrive late, annoyingly loud students, players' girlfriends who split their time watching and texting, regular fans you wouldn't mind having a drink with, Cornell fans (we're split up), and townspeople who support Union hockey and who wouldn't mind if the Union students toned it down a bit on the jeering and occasional F-bombs. Not unlike Lynah except if Union hockey bombs, they don't have lax season to look forward to. Maybe a little extra animosity because they know Union is a good school but it's not an Ivy school.

The rink overall is a modernistic (when built) shell with an ice surface in the middle and seats floating on risers on the two sides but not the ends (Messa rink seating chart if you scroll down: [www.unionathletics.com]). A little like Princeton's Jadwin gynmasium in how the stands seem apart from building. It takes a little getting used to. Last year the Cornell game sold out; I can't recall if standing room was available anyhow. I think it turned out that if you got there early, there was standing room, and like so many games, there are a couple hundred empty seats you can slip into at some point, though nothing like the sea of empty seats at most Cornell-at-Princeton seats.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2012 10:37PM by billhoward.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2012 11:41PM

billhoward
... nothing like the sea of empty seats at most Cornell-at-Princeton seats.
Attendance at Hobey Baker has been improving for the past few years. Last weekend, it looked like most of the seats were occupied (although I'm not sure how many were SRO). Approximately half of the attendees were part of the Cornell contingent.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 07:50AM

ajh258
billhoward
... nothing like the sea of empty seats at most Cornell-at-Princeton seats.
Attendance at Hobey Baker has been improving for the past few years. Last weekend, it looked like most of the seats were occupied (although I'm not sure how many were SRO). Approximately half of the attendees were part of the Cornell contingent.

When I arrived, the ticket office said they had ~50 seats in the upper deck that were being held for Princeton students until an hour before game time. There was also a line of well over 100 Cornell fans waiting for tickets when the box office opened.

Date: January 20, 2012 09:20AM

Do we know of any Cornell fan who who didn't get in at the Princeton game? Hobey Baker Rink reminds me of the very nicest prep school rink you could imagine. But 2,000 seats just doesn't cut it compared to the palaces at Notre Dame, BU and Quinnipiac. If Princeton built a new rink seating 3,500, could Princeton do outreach to get more townspeople to attend? Be a sponsor for HS tournament games in south Jersey? Princeton does the best job of any Ivy integrating sports facilities into the immediate campus; I'd love to see what they could do with a more modern rink.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 10:53AM

billhoward
Do we know of any Cornell fan who who didn't get in at the Princeton game? Hobey Baker Rink reminds me of the very nicest prep school rink you could imagine. But 2,000 seats just doesn't cut it compared to the palaces at Notre Dame, BU and Quinnipiac. If Princeton built a new rink seating 3,500, could Princeton do outreach to get more townspeople to attend? Be a sponsor for HS tournament games in south Jersey? Princeton does the best job of any Ivy integrating sports facilities into the immediate campus; I'd love to see what they could do with a more modern rink.

Urge to kill rising. Baker's a magnificent rink. I hope they never change it.

Date: January 20, 2012 12:37PM

Trotsky
You're safe; I'm safe. It's nine decades old but it won't wear out from overuse by fans. The rink has changed over the years. Some. Like a new scoreboard in the 1980s. And the exterior concourse can't be original to the building, at least not the solarium thing that's attached to (whatever side long wall has the Cornell bench).

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 03:46PM

billhoward
Trotsky
You're safe; I'm safe. It's nine decades old but it won't wear out from overuse by fans. The rink has changed over the years. Some. Like a new scoreboard in the 1980s. And the exterior concourse can't be original to the building, at least not the solarium thing that's attached to (whatever side long wall has the Cornell bench).

The renovation that added the seats and the exterior concourse was completed sometime in the nineties. Before that, you sat on the bare concrete (or on loose boards to get a little insulation).

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 04:12PM

billhoward
Union has pockets of horses asses, students who arrive late, annoyingly loud students, players' girlfriends who split their time watching and texting, regular fans you wouldn't mind having a drink with, Cornell fans (we're split up), and townspeople who support Union hockey and who wouldn't mind if the Union students toned it down a bit on the jeering and occasional F-bombs. Not unlike Lynah except if Union hockey bombs, they don't have lax season to look forward to. Maybe a little extra animosity because they know Union is a good school but it's not an Ivy school.

The rink overall is a modernistic (when built) shell with an ice surface in the middle and seats floating on risers on the two sides but not the ends (Messa rink seating chart if you scroll down: [www.unionathletics.com]). A little like Princeton's Jadwin gynmasium in how the stands seem apart from building. It takes a little getting used to. Last year the Cornell game sold out; I can't recall if standing room was available anyhow. I think it turned out that if you got there early, there was standing room, and like so many games, there are a couple hundred empty seats you can slip into at some point, though nothing like the sea of empty seats at most Cornell-at-Princeton seats.

Bizarre that every sold-out Union game that I have attended features pockets of empty seats. Maybe some are standing a la Lynah of old. Maybe some imbibers can't walk to/find the rink.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 06:37PM

marty
Bizarre that every sold-out Union game that I have attended features pockets of empty seats. Maybe some are standing a la Lynah of old. Maybe some imbibers can't walk to/find the rink.
I think that's people milling/standing. My two memories of Achilles are (1) lots of facetiming and (2) lots and lots of screaming, unsupervised brats.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 08:07PM

marty

A sell-out doesn't mean all of the seats are filled. It just means they've been sold. When I went to the Q-Colgate last weekend, the guy at the ticket window told me they only had standing-room tickets available. It turned out that approximately 20 percent of the seats (probably more) were unoccupied -- and it wasn't because a lot of people were milling about. I was surprised that the game was labeled a sellout.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 09:57PM

dbilmes
marty

A sell-out doesn't mean all of the seats are filled. It just means they've been sold. When I went to the Q-Colgate last weekend, the guy at the ticket window told me they only had standing-room tickets available. It turned out that approximately 20 percent of the seats (probably more) were unoccupied -- and it wasn't because a lot of people were milling about. I was surprised that the game was labeled a sellout.

Agreed, but this does seem to have happened at more than a few games at Messa. Was Colgate on break?

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 10:46AM

marty
dbilmes
marty

Agreed, but this does seem to have happened at more than a few games at Messa. Was Colgate on break?
The game was at Quinnipiac, and Q was on break, but the empty seats were scatted all over the rink. The section where the Q students usually sit was actually fairly filled with youth hockey teams and cub scouts who were sold group packages for the game.,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login