Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Postgame: Cornell vs. Dartmouth

Posted by Scersk '97 
Postgame: Cornell vs. Dartmouth
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 11:46AM

To change to postgame later.

Seems like an interesting stretch of games coming up. Taking a look at Trotsky's chart, one notices that, should they be victorious in the next four (including the home and home with Colgate), this year's team will be on the same pace, with regard to the rest of the ECAC, as the 2003 team, a testament either to the wonderful freshman class and things to come or to a relatively down year to the league. (Or a little of both.)

Here's hoping we start the weekend off right tonight versus a long-time thorn in our collective side.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 09:24PM by Scersk '97.

Re: Dartmouth Pregame
Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 12:14PM

Scersk '97
To change to postgame later.

Seems like an interesting stretch of games coming up. Taking a look at Trotsky's chart, one notices that, should they be victorious in the next four (including the home and home with Colgate), this year's team will be on the same pace, with regard to the rest of the ECAC, as the 2003 team, a testament either to the wonderful freshman class and things to come or to a relatively down year to the league. (Or a little of both.)

Here's hoping we start the weekend off right tonight versus a long-time thorn in our collective side.
Agreed, This team really has a chance to be something special

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 12:19PM

Do we have an update on Espo / Jillson?

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: January 20, 2012 12:42PM

Trotsky

Ithaca Journal
Junior left wing John Esposito (4-7-11) sprained an ankle at Princeton and will not play this weekend.

Ithaca Journal

No mention of Jillson.

Re: End of 1st: Cornell 1 Dartmouth 0
Date: January 20, 2012 07:39PM

Having not watched Redcast in a a bit, I had forgotten how hard it sucks. Jeez.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 08:03PM

THAT POWERPLAY WAS AWESOME!!!!

They got several great shots off, looked absolutely dominating, cycled like they knew the cheat codes, and were only forced out of the offensive zone with 30-odd seconds left... and promptly scored on the rush back.

Best powerplay of the year?

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 08:25PM

Isle is flopping around like a fish on the ice - ughhhhh

Re: End of 2nd: Cornell 3 Dartmouth 2
Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 09:22PM

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRING ON HARVARD!!!

Re: Postgame: Cornell vs. Dartmouth
Date: January 20, 2012 09:26PM

Decided to take the score out of the subject for the benefit of anyone who might be taping the game.

Having been to the Princeton game last week, I am glad not to have had to watch another 3-3 tie. Good riddance Green; bring on Harvard.

PS Why is our penalty kill, traditionally a strength, so horrible?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 09:29PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 09:39PM

Not our best effort for sure, and I thought Dartmouth played with a lot of jump and seemed to win the majority of the battles and loose pucks. The stats showed that the faceoffs were even, but it seemed to me that Dartmouth won virtually every faceoff, especially on their power plays. I thought Iles was fine, and really came up big late in the third when he robbed Jones at the doorstep.

We're going to need to really pick it up tomorrow night, but the building should be a tad energized :-P

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: January 20, 2012 09:41PM

With the win, Cornell now controls its own destiny in the all important Ivy Title chase. Every other team has now surrendered at least four points.

Date: January 20, 2012 09:43PM

Officiating was brutal. Don't know if you guys could see on Red Cast but late in the 3rd period a Dartmouth player covered a puck with his hand without a call. Of course this comes with a disclaimer that I'm a complete homer, but I was longing for Kotyra by the end.

Date: January 20, 2012 10:23PM

Interesting fact: Cornell has the 2nd best winning percentage in the country, trailing only #1 Minnesota Duluth

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: January 20, 2012 10:35PM

Also in the interesting fact department, Cornell is 5-1-1 against the top 6 non-TUC teams at the moment with at least three more games to go with them. They are 3-2-1 against the 32 TUCs with four guaranteed games left against them.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 10:37PM

Also in the interesting fact department, with Michigan losing tonight Cornell now has the longest unbeaten streak in the nation (4-0-2).

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 10:41PM

Great finish to the CC - Minnestota game. Minnesota tied it up with a little over a minute to go with agoal with the goalie pulled then CC answered with 36 seconds remaining for a 2-1 win.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 08:09AM

css228
Don't know if you guys could see on Red Cast but ...
No. The Dartmouth hockey Redcast showed the same attention to detail, professionalism, and customer service provided by the crew of the Costa Concordia. Thank goodness we could flip over to watch the wrestling match where the video was flawless except for a women with a camcorder on the left taking up some of picture when the Redcast camera panned.

I had just installed a new rec room flatscreen TV, dedicated PC, and speaker bar to watch stuff like this. The commercial cable TV feed has been awesome and so has the audio (check out zvoxaudio.com). Then I turn on the Redcast hockey feed and jeez, the picture is blurry, you can't even read the scores overlay, and there's no audio. So I spend 15 minutes debugging the cables, bring in a laptop known to work ... then flip over to the Redcast wrestling feed and find out the trouble is not with the hardware at my end. Once hockey came back (more or less), in the second period I timed the audio delay at 12 seconds behind the video. Anybody (everybody?) else find the scores overlay was blurry?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2012 08:19AM by billhoward.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 08:32AM

billhoward
css228
Anybody (everybody?) else find the scores overlay was blurry?

If only I could have. Once again Time Warner Rochester decided to show gerbil bowling, or some such.

cuss

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2012 08:38AM

billhoward
css228
No. The Dartmouth hockey Redcast showed the same attention to detail, professionalism, and customer service provided by the crew of the Costa Concordia. Thank goodness we could flip over to watch the wrestling match where the video was flawless except for a women with a camcorder on the left taking up some of picture when the Redcast camera panned.

I had just installed a new rec room flatscreen TV, dedicated PC, and speaker bar to watch stuff like this. The commercial cable TV feed has been awesome and so has the audio (check out zvoxaudio.com). Then I turn on the Redcast hockey feed and jeez, the picture is blurry, you can't even read the scores overlay, and there's no audio. So I spend 15 minutes debugging the cables, bring in a laptop known to work ... then flip over to the Redcast wrestling feed and find out the trouble is not with the hardware at my end. Once hockey came back (more or less), in the second period I timed the audio delay at 12 seconds behind the video. Anybody (everybody?) else find the scores overlay was blurry?

Another fine argument for matriculating at a real school like RPI?burnout

Date: January 21, 2012 09:06AM

marty
I've been good and haven't penned the words "HD TV" or "RPI" in the same post in many months. Now that you mention it ...

Date: January 21, 2012 09:08AM

Johnny 5
If only I could have. Once again Time Warner Rochester decided to show gerbil bowling, or some such.
cuss
A small number of people complaining about the broadcast not being aired can have an impact so long as it's not cookie-cutter complaints where it's clearly orchestrated. One person says, I love college hockey and I can't get enough of it ... another says the highest concentration of Cornell alums is right here in Rochester ... a third says have you noticed how many sports and college sports channels are being added b/c of fan interest so why are you blowing off college hockey when it's handed to you on a platter ...

If it was bowling ... as a former sportswriter at Gannett Rochester, I recall how important bowling was to the Rochester sports mindset, that and the Rochester Red Wings and Americans. We used to run scores for organized bowling leagues, which of course is an oxymoron but it sounds better than telling your wife you going out drinking again.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 09:18AM

billhoward
Anybody (everybody?) else find the scores overlay was blurry?
I've seen this happen with Redcast when I change to full screen. I've also seen it happen on competent TV HD broadcasts when I futz with the aspect ratio. I think it has to do with the way our brains handle blurriness -- letters and numbers are actually harder to process than images for the same degree of blur.

For Redcast, nothing helps. For the aspect ratio on HDTV, I have found from experience that after a few seconds the processor figures out what to do and redraws the image correctly.

Somebody who actually understands how the tech works can explain at great length.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2012 09:43AM

billhoward
marty
I've been good and haven't penned the words "HD TV" or "RPI" in the same post in many months. Now that you mention it ...

To be fair, RPI TV though excellent is not available live during the game. To watch RPI games live one needs to buy B2 access.

RPI B2 Link

RPI TV was available live until B2 bitched. RPI TV is essentially an archival product at this time. And that sucks more than the cheers at Houston.

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 11:15AM

marty
billhoward
marty

To be fair, RPI TV though excellent is not available live during the game. To watch RPI games live one needs to buy B2 access.

RPI B2 Link

RPI TV was available live until B2 bitched. RPI TV is essentially an archival product at this time. And that sucks more than the cheers at Houston.
At least their archival product works. I think I'm going to sit and watch "connecting..." for 3 hours this morning just on principle.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2012 11:17AM

marty
billhoward
marty

RPI B2 Link

And that is the rub. Schools hire out to broadcast many sports. Yes you can get a dedicated group to broadcast something like hockey, but then who does the non-glamour sports? Unfortunately for us they farm this out to someone who'll do all the sports they want in whatever quality exists. That's not to say the U couldn't pay a little more to upgrade the hockey quality, but I'm sure it would cost extra money.

Posted by: TheMatrix (---.ccmr.cornell.edu)
Date: January 21, 2012 02:56PM

The only Cornell goal I had a good vantage point for:
Ferlin's 1st period goal.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 03:46PM

Trotsky
Jillson will play against Dartmouth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login