Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Does anybody know what became of Hudon?

Posted by TimV 
Does anybody know what became of Hudon?
Posted by: TimV (---.sub-166-248-0.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2011 12:50AM

Anybody? ANYbody???uhoh

Re: Does anybody know what became of Hudon?
Posted by: cbuckser (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2011 01:26AM

Who? ;-)

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2011 08:21AM

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2011 08:56AM

For what it was worth, he was listed on our roster in the game program Friday night at Yale . . . not that that means anything.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2011 09:49AM

However, he is not listed (any more) on the team roster on the Cornell Athletics web site.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.222.202.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2011 11:14AM

cornell website still available, but not linked to the main page. hmm.

Posted by: TheMatrix (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2011 12:29PM

The Rancor
cornell website still available, but not linked to the main page. hmm.
True, but you can also access the pages of players who have graduated or have left the team:
Greening
Moulson
Seymour

I am curious to hear more details of what happened.

Posted by: sah67 (38.107.128.---)
Date: November 06, 2011 12:51PM

TheMatrix
True, but you can also access the pages of players who have graduated or have left the team:
Greening
Moulson
Seymour

And there's a gem of a quote under the "Personal" section on Seymour's page:

"Jarred Seymour lives in North America with his mother..."

Posted by: AVFC (---.com)
Date: November 09, 2011 10:57AM

A Redwings website reported that he took a leave of absence from school. Does anyone know what happened to this kid? Thanks in advance.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2011 12:31PM

I put an email to someone who has connections with Detroit. I will post what he is able to find out. Hope everything is ok and he get get back on track next year.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2011 02:40AM

A Hockey's Future board post by someone who doesn't know when Cornell's season starts isn't exactly official but [hfboards.com].

Posted by: TimV (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2011 09:00AM

Thanks Ursus. When I saw your name on the post I got a little chill - didn't want him to show up at the Tute. He'd be a helluva linemate for LaLiberte. Flying Frenchmen, non?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2011 01:54PM

TimV
Thanks Ursus. When I saw your name on the post I got a little chill - didn't want him to show up at the Tute. He'd be a helluva linemate for LaLiberte. Flying Frenchmen, non?

Laliberte is having enough troubles of his own so far with lack of scoring and injuries.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2011 02:57PM

Victoriaville is putting pressure on Hudon to sign with the QMJHL team. Here's hoping he gets the help he needs and then decides what is best for him.

I know it's not nice to quote from subscription sites, but it's probably best to allow the speculation to rest.

USHR
“He withdrew from school for personal reasons,” says Cornell head coach Mike Schafer. “He plans to come back.”

There is, of course, the option for Hudon to play Tier II junior hockey, or in the USHL, particularly if he is going to return to Cornell.

There’s far more to this whole story than just hockey, though, as Hudon struggles with OCD, which in turn has led to academic and social issues. Hudon withdrew from college on medical grounds, rather than go too deeply into the semester and find himself unable to pull things together. He is reportedly getting help back home for his condition.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2011 03:36PM

I second what Ithacat said above. I would love to see him come back and thrive on East Hill (and not just on the ice) but he needs to do what's best for him, and no matter what he does he should know that the Lynah Faithful support him and wish him the best.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2011 05:11PM

According to this guy, who appears to have spoken to Hudon after a group of people reported that he was skating w/ Victoriaville and therefore signing was imminent:

"Yikes, Philippe Hudon left Cornell was because of health reason but has not join Victoriaville officially. Still could go back to Cornell.."

"Hudon say he has two option now, join Victoriaville now or go back to Cornell in January. Will make his final decision before December"

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: November 15, 2011 05:28PM

So can/should we send messages of encouragement to let him know that there are many fans at Cornell who would love for him to return? It is his decision but it wouldn't hurt to let him know that we do care that he returns.

Date: November 15, 2011 06:30PM

Roy 82
So can/should we send messages of encouragement to let him know that there are many fans at Cornell who would love for him to return? It is his decision but it wouldn't hurt to let him know that we do care that he returns.
It's a tough call because its obviously not our place to suggest to him what he should do. But given that OCD hits particularly close to home for me given I have family that suffer with it, I also feel like its good idea to tell him we support him no matter what decision he makes and that we wish him well. I mean let's be realistic about this, we'd all love for him to come back but Cornell is a stressful place no matter what and its not going to be easy if he does come back. So I'm truly between myself in deciding what's right to do. I think probably the best idea would be if people just send him good wishes and don't mention his potentially coming back.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2011 12:59PM

This is all I got from the Red Wings.

"According to Mr. Nill, Phillipe's ill at present and can't play."

I have no idea how to contact Phillipe but I wish him the best no matter what he chooses. Hope to see you in Ithaca.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2011 01:16PM

He gave an interview that's been reprinted on the Victoriaville homepage:

[www.tigresvictoriaville.com]

We might get a more nuanced translation from a native speaker, but google chrome's auto-translation gives you the gist.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 16, 2011 01:30PM

pfibiger
He gave an interview that's been reprinted on the Victoriaville homepage:

[www.tigresvictoriaville.com]

We might get a more nuanced translation from a native speaker, but google chrome's auto-translation gives you the gist.
Here's the beginning, suitably fractured via Babblefish:

To everyone's surprise, Philippe Hudon gave his first skated in the uniform of the Tigers on Tuesday morning, during the daily workout of the team. Forward 18 years has not yet made a decision about its future. Within three weeks he will decide if he joins the Tigers or returns with his training at Cornell University, United States. In consideration for over a month in the home of Hudson, near Montreal, Hudon will practice Wednesday and possibly also next week with the cats. Although there appears to be a good chance he joins the ranks of Victoriavillois on a permanent basis, before the player insists that he has not yet decided. In an interview with www.lanouvelle.net Tuesday after the workout, Hudon has finally unveiled the reason for his departure from Cornell University. His agent, Philippe Lecavalier had mentioned medical reasons last week.

"For a month, I took a step backwards because of the so-called OCD or obsessive compulsive disorder. I was diagnosed last year. It was a battle for me during the past year. I had difficulty in managing the school, trouble and hockey. It was jeopardizing my eligibility to continue my journey in the ranks of American academics. So I decided to come home. I took an intensive therapy to try to heal as quickly as possible since I still want to pursue my ultimate dream of a career in hockey. I had to put things into perspective and analyze all options available to me. That's why I train with the Tigers today, "he shared. Faced with this anxiety disorder, the Colossus of 6'1''and 190 pounds now hopes to find some stability in his life. Thus, it will decide on his future by early December.

Hudon said he appreciated the approach of the Tigers, who were not charged in the case. On November 4, when removing the number 77 of Reginald Savage, the attacker attended the meeting. Mésonéro was limited to shake his grip and give him the tickets of the game. "I liked what I saw. The organization welcomed me with open arms. I feel like home. I wanted to see if the organization of Victoriaville was a good option for me. To date, very positive. Taking me on Tuesday, Wednesday and possibly next week with the Tigers, I also wanted to maintain the shape and meet the players. If ever I join the Tigers, I want the transition is done well, "he added. Nevertheless, it is with regret that he left Cornell University. He was on his first semester in management and business organization. He had spent the previous three years in high school, Choate Rosemary Hall, Connecticut.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 01:35PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 16, 2011 01:40PM

pfibiger
the Colossus of 6'1''and 190 pounds

Well, if he does return to the team, he's got his new nickname. The Colossus would fit right in on the Dream-Crushing Soul-Devouring Juggernaut.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 01:41PM by Jordan 04.

Date: November 16, 2011 03:30PM

Jordan 04
pfibiger
the Colossus of 6'1''and 190 pounds

Well, if he does return to the team, he's got his new nickname. The Colossus would fit right in on the Dream-Crushing Soul-Devouring Juggernaut.
If we call him Colossus we should call Iles Guardian.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 04:34PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Robb (---.62-188.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: November 16, 2011 03:35PM

Cornell is challenging enough even if you don't have a complication like OCD. Best of luck to Philippe in making what must be a very tough decision.

Date: November 16, 2011 05:25PM

Robb
Cornell is challenging enough even if you don't have a complication like OCD. Best of luck to Philippe in making what must be a very tough decision.
Let's not forget playing a D-I sport on top of that.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: November 17, 2011 11:01AM

Robb

Any therapist alums out there living in Ithaca and who might work with PH, MS, and staff to help Philippe? He also should be eligible for disability accommodations.

McGill is a good school and may not have the limitations the NCAA imposes. But if he's really interested in attending Cornell, I'd advise hime to enroll for the Spring with all the disability support in place. If it doesn't work out, he'd have lost a few months and would not have to wonder what might have been. Once he loses eligibility for US hockey, he can never go back.

Posted by: Robb (---.62-188.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: November 17, 2011 12:41PM

USCHO picks up the story. (no new info in the article)

Date: November 28, 2011 02:30AM

Philippe has officially signed with Victoriaville. It's a shame that the only time we got to see him in a Carnelian sweater was Red-White, but I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors in the Q. Hopefully, we'll be seeing him in the NHL in a few years.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: November 28, 2011 07:38AM

css228
Philippe has officially signed with Victoriaville. It's a shame that the only time we got to see him in a Carnelian sweater was Red-White, but I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors in the Q. Hopefully, we'll be seeing him in the NHL in a few years.

Good luck to him. I was hoping for a different outcome, but once he left under the circumstances as described, it seemed unlikely to me that he would be returning to Cornell.

Date: November 28, 2011 08:27AM

css228
Oh well. Via con Dios.

Posted by: BearLover (164.62.12.---)
Date: November 28, 2011 10:07AM

Well, this sucks.

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 10:32PM

Not a good move

Posted by: Kyle Rose (32.166.91.---)
Date: November 28, 2011 10:39PM

I find that generally people who don't have mental illness have a hard time understanding it.

I wish Hudon the best of luck.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 11:34PM

Sucks it does, but more for the individual trying to make the best of his life than for the fans who, what, feel let down because Hudon was promised to us and now he's no longer here. A lot of us were curious why he left Cornell but now that we heard the outlines of the situation, that's knowledge enough. Time to move on.

Date: November 29, 2011 12:16AM

flyersgolf
Not a good move
Might actually be the best thing he can do for himself. OCD is one of those things that gets worse with stress. You put someone with OCD in a stressful environment and that is a tailor made recipe for regression. Doesn't happen to everyone, but its definitely highly possible at a place like Cornell. As I said earlier, it might be best for him to focus on one thing at a time. I'm sure there are people at Cornell that succeed and thrive with OCD, but there aren't many that play D-I sports on top of a place like Cornell. I'm disappointed we don't get to watch him here, but that's purely selfish motives. Philippe made what he considered to be the best decision for him and that's all that is important in this case. Always going to be a fan. Good luck Philippe.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: November 29, 2011 10:12AM

Soooo...Professional Hockey is not stressfull?wtf

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2011 10:17AM

TimV

Playing professional hockey closer to home might not be as stressful as playing college hockey while carrying a full course load at an Ivy League university far from home.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 29, 2011 10:18AM

TimV
Dunno, but an NHL contract can buy* a lot of quality medication.

* Oh, that's right. He's Canadian. He gets health care as a right anyway.

Posted by: css228 (---.sub-174-254-176.myvzw.com)
Date: November 29, 2011 10:21AM

Beeeej
TimV

Playing professional hockey closer to home might not be as stressful as playing college hockey while carrying a full course load at an Ivy League university far from home.
Pretty much what I was trying to say. It eliminates the feeling we all have of being pulled a thousand different directions. Thanks for the clarification of my point.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: November 29, 2011 11:48AM

Beeeej
TimV

If I were a betting-on-obscene-things man, I'd bet that it was the need to stay academically eligible in order to play hockey that made it impossible to do either. I wish him the best of luck in Victoriaville and in managing his illness.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login