Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros_ March 2011

Posted by Rita 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alumni in the Pros_ March 2011
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 08:35PM

Happy March!

Matt Moulson's goal scoring continues into the new month, #28 tonight v. the Caps.

Re: Alumni in the Pros_ March 2011
Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 08:47PM

Moulson was just interviewed between periods on the Islanders broadcast. He scored 10 goals during February, the highest total in the NHL for the month, and it's nice to see him picking up in March right where he left off.

Date: March 01, 2011 09:00PM

Missed that. Since Greening is now with the O-Sens, I switched to that game, He is indeed playing with Spezza (no joke there) and in the last 8 min of the 2nd period had at least 3 shifts.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 09:44PM

Rita
Missed that. Since Greening is now with the O-Sens, I switched to that game, He is indeed playing with Spezza (no joke there) and in the last 8 min of the 2nd period had at least 3 shifts.
Since you are a (spits) Caps fan, you should be sure to catch the replay of Ovie's ot goal tonight. It was very painful to watch (but gorgeous).

Date: March 01, 2011 09:55PM

Trotsky
Rita
Since you are a (spits) Caps fan, you should be sure to catch the replay of Ovie's ot goal tonight. It was very painful to watch (but gorgeous).

You are confusing me with Judy... she's the Caps fan. I've been without a real team to root for since the Whalers left Hartford (I just can't root for Carolina). I follow teams with Cornellians, but seem to favor the Sharks most of all (though Ottawa may get some of my love if they keep Greening up).

I did see Ovi's goal, pretty indeed. Shame the Isles lost that game.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 06:30AM

Rita, get over it. For Hartford & Whalers fans, the roof fell in twice.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 09:56AM

billhoward

I speak for a hell of a lot of Whaler fans when I say this: Fuck off, Bill. All she said is that she doesn't have a primary team to root for.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 10:58AM

RichH
billhoward

I speak for a hell of a lot of Whaler fans when I say this: Fuck off, Bill. All she said is that she doesn't have a primary team to root for.
Still the greatest logo in hockey history:

Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: March 02, 2011 11:20AM

Trotsky
RichH
billhoward

I'm partial to this logo; because it was the logo on my first hockey jersey. However, I had #35 Cap Raedar's jersey. I still get nostalgic in the spring when Cap does the color commentary for some the the NC$$ regional games.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.inet6.dpw.com)
Date: March 02, 2011 11:32AM

Rita
Trotsky
RichH
billhoward

I'm partial to this logo; because it was the logo on my first hockey jersey. However, I had #35 Cap Raedar's jersey. I still get nostalgic in the spring when Cap does the color commentary for some the the NC$$ regional games.

Just want to take this opportunity to thank Eddie Johnston for the Ron Francis trade.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 02, 2011 12:12PM

Trotsky
Still the greatest logo in hockey history

A terrific look at the evolution of that logo through the design process (via sketches and notes from the artist) is included midway through the following article:

[www.icethetics.info]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 01:21PM

Trotsky
RichH
billhoward

Subtly awesome in the same way as the old-school Milwaukee Brewers logo:

Image error
Missing Location header in redirect response.
open image URL

Date: March 02, 2011 01:40PM

RichH
Trotsky
Still the greatest logo in hockey history

A terrific look at the evolution of that logo through the design process (via sketches and notes from the artist) is included midway through the following article:

[www.icethetics.info]
That's a wonderful link. Thanks!

Date: March 02, 2011 01:45PM

Rita
Mandatory ECAC content: Cap was All-American 1st Team at UNH in 1973-74 and head coach at Clarkson 1985-88.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 02, 2011 02:05PM

Greening had a highlight on NHL on the Fly last night.......Kevin Weekes was praising his strong defensive play near his own net. Things start to break down, make a play, don't sit there with your thumb in your kischter.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 10:08PM

More on Greening:

Greening, meanwhile, is a tantalizing prospect. He looks even bigger than the 6-foot-3, 211-lbs. he’s listed at, and he can fly, as the new fastest lap record he set at the team’s skills contest can attest.

Indeed, he has power forward written all over him.

Also 24, Greening played on the Senators top line in Tuesday’s game versus the Bruins, and he did not look out of place.

How about that one shift he had in the first period? With the puck in the neutral zone, Greening made a nifty little move to get around Brad Marchand, who was trying to hit him and wound up sliding into the boards. Instead, Greening then started a pretty three-way passing play with Jason Spezza and Sergei Gonchar that resulted in a scoring chance for the Senators.

A few seconds later, Greening made a great defensive play, getting his stick on Patrice Bergeron’s shot at an open side of the net.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 11:46PM

ebilmes
More on Greening:

Greening, meanwhile, is a tantalizing prospect. He looks even bigger than the 6-foot-3, 211-lbs. he’s listed at, and he can fly, as the new fastest lap record he set at the team’s skills contest can attest.

Indeed, he has power forward written all over him.

Also 24, Greening played on the Senators top line in Tuesday’s game versus the Bruins, and he did not look out of place.

How about that one shift he had in the first period? With the puck in the neutral zone, Greening made a nifty little move to get around Brad Marchand, who was trying to hit him and wound up sliding into the boards. Instead, Greening then started a pretty three-way passing play with Jason Spezza and Sergei Gonchar that resulted in a scoring chance for the Senators.

A few seconds later, Greening made a great defensive play, getting his stick on Patrice Bergeron’s shot at an open side of the net.
From the same story:

C'est what?

Jason Spezza’s wingers on the Sens’ top line Tuesday — Bobby Butler and Colin Greening — have a combined 24 games of NHL experience and eight years of college between them.

“Lot of college guys around here now,” Spezza said, as he glanced around the Senators dressing room Tuesday morning. “I’m the one with the OHL education. We’ll see how it is.”

Date: March 03, 2011 07:34PM

Colin Greening gets his first NHL goal tonight early in the first period to give OTT a 1-0 lead over ATL. bananabananabanana

Video is already up!

Edit/Update: Greening finishes +2 on the night and was on the ice for the last minute of the game as Atlanta tried to overcome the 3-1 deficit. He got lots of kudos from the announcers for his defensive work during that long shift.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 09:20PM by Rita.

Re: Alumni in the Pros_ March 2011 - Greening NHL 1st
Date: March 04, 2011 03:59PM

Clip of just the Greening goal and (how can this be?) no commercial beforehand.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 04:00PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2011 09:44PM

The Rangers' broadcasters have had some good things to say about Greening during tonight's game in Ottawa. Colin continues to skate with Jason Spezza and Bobby Butler on the Sens' top line, but hasn't had much luck on offense tonight (nor have most of the res of the Sens against Henrik Lundqvist), and was IMO at fault for the Rangers' third goal. It was also noted that the Sens have a fairly significant number of players who played four years of NCAA hockey, including Greening, Butler, Ryan Shannon (BC), Jesse Winchester (Colgate), Erik Condra (Notre Dame), and Brian Elliott (Wisconsin).

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2011 11:39PM

Via ECAC site, article on NHL.com Network about Greening's first goal.

Date: March 04, 2011 11:47PM

Jim Hyla
Via ECAC site, article on NHL.com Network about Greening's first goal.[[i]/quote]
"Then again, storytelling should come easily to Greening — his father, Fred, worked for the CBC for more than 40 years, most recently as a documentary producer for Land and Sea. And as a former TV and radio reporter in St. John's, he learned the value of a good quote, a quality he's tried to instill in his hockey-playing son.

"He’s been in the trade long enough to know the tricks of the trade," Greening said of his dad. "He’s always big on not giving the same old jargon, the ‘same old hockey talk’ as he (puts) it. Sometimes, when you’re tired and you come in after a period and you’ve got to do an interview, that’s all you can muster. But whenever I say the same stuff the other people say, he’ll tell me.

"(Dad) always talks about giving specifics and examples. It makes for better television, I guess
.[/i]"

I'm definitely looking forward to more Colin Greening interviews **].

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2011 12:44AM

Josh '99
It was also noted that the Sens have a fairly significant number of players who played four years of NCAA hockey, including Greening, Butler, Ryan Shannon (BC), Jesse Winchester (Colgate), Erik Condra (Notre Dame), and Brian Elliott (Wisconsin).

They do have the worst record in the Eastern Conference...

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2011 08:09AM

Josh '99
The Rangers' broadcasters have had some good things to say about Greening during tonight's game in Ottawa. Colin continues to skate with Jason Spezza and Bobby Butler on the Sens' top line, but hasn't had much luck on offense tonight (nor have most of the res of the Sens against Henrik Lundqvist), and was IMO at fault for the Rangers' third goal. It was also noted that the Sens have a fairly significant number of players who played four years of NCAA hockey, including Greening, Butler, Ryan Shannon (BC), Jesse Winchester (Colgate), Erik Condra (Notre Dame), and Brian Elliott (Wisconsin).

Elliott was recently traded to Colorado

Date: March 05, 2011 10:01AM

scoop85
Josh '99

Elliott was recently traded to Colorado
Oops. blush

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2011 05:53PM

B. Nash scores on Scrivens in OT for the Hamilton Bulldogs win.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2011 08:40PM

Article about Ryan O'Byrne's injury on Edmonton Journal website.

Date: March 06, 2011 10:02PM

George64
100 stitches on the inside and outside of his cheek. O'Byrne on the upside: “Could have been worse, it could have been my neck, too."

Date: March 06, 2011 10:33PM

billhoward
George64
100 stitches on the inside and outside of his cheek. O'Byrne on the upside: “Could have been worse, it could have been my neck, too."
Via ECAC website, same discussion in Edmonton Sun.

“They said the skin is still fragile, and if I took another hard hit it might just burst open again. I’ll probably be wearing the cage for the rest of the year. It’s not too bad; I played college hockey, so I’m used to the cage a bit.”

Posted by: profudge (---.dr04.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 12:20PM

Colin Greening scored for the Binghamton Sens. this weekend, his first goal in AHL since Feb 12th, in a 4-1 win.

Date: March 08, 2011 01:11PM

As I was hoping, and expecting given his recent play, Colin Greening was recalled by the Senators today.

I was somewhat surprised that they sent him down, just for a game. At this point in the season, my question is whether the risk of additional rookie fatigue outweighs the benefit of the experience from an additional AHL game.

Date: March 08, 2011 01:20PM

RatushnyFan
As I was hoping, and expecting given his recent play, Colin Greening was recalled by the Senators today.

I was somewhat surprised that they sent him down, just for a game. At this point in the season, my question is whether the risk of additional rookie fatigue outweighs the benefit of the experience from an additional AHL game.

Aren't the B-sens in the hunt for an AHL playoff spot? This might have just been to get him re-aquianted with his old teammates. I expect Colin will be playing with them in the AHL playoffs and not golfing with the other Ottawa Sens.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 02:20PM

RatushnyFan

He didn't miss any Ottawa games while he was down. Either they wanted him to get in extra playing time or, if he has a 2-way contract, they were saving 3 days at the higher salary.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 08, 2011 03:01PM

Interview with O'Byrne talking about taking the skate to his face. Not the clearest but you can see he'll have a pretty nice scar from now on.

Date: March 08, 2011 09:27PM

RatushnyFan

Colin gets his 3rd NHL assist tonight against the Devils in a 2-1 win.

Date: March 09, 2011 10:56AM

Rita
Can anyone find the obvious mistake in the box score.............first to get it right gets, well nothing.

Date: March 09, 2011 11:00AM

RatushnyFan
Rita
Can anyone find the obvious mistake in the box score.............first to get it right gets, well nothing.
The plus/minuses can't be right. Greening (and Phillips) were on for an even strength goal. New Jersey only had one goal, but those two show -1 as a plus/minus.

Date: March 09, 2011 11:02AM

RatushnyFan
Rita

I know, I know.

Colin was a minus 1 on the night.

He was on the ice for the NJ goal, but it looks like his assist (a secondary assist) was off a pass he made while he was going off on a line change, so "technically" he wasn't on the ice when the puck crossed the goal line. Thus the -1 and not 0 for the night.

I noticed that too, and watched the replay a few times and he wasn't in the post-goal hug, so that is the only way I can rationalize it.

Last time I did one of these ELF contests, it was LAX post-season (mid 2000's) and Hillel was sick of the seeding compliants so he said "first one to offer up insightful comments about this weekend's game gets Cornell Lax swag". I still wear my lax t-shirt :-).

Can I at least get some chocolate? **]

Date: March 09, 2011 11:06AM

Rita
RatushnyFan
Rita

I know, I know.

Colin was a minus 1 on the night.

He was on the ice for the NJ goal, but it looks like his assist (a secondary assist) was off a pass he made while he was going off on a line change, so "technically" he wasn't on the ice when the puck crossed the goal line. Thus the -1 and not 0 for the night.

I noticed that too, and watched the replay a few times and he wasn't in the post-goal hug, so that is the only way I can rationalize it.

Last time I did one of these ELF contests, it was LAX post-season (mid 2000's) and Hillel was sick of the seeding compliants so he said "first one to offer up insightful comments about this weekend's game gets Cornell Lax swag". I still wear my lax t-shirt :-).

Can I at least get some chocolate? **]
I guess the obvious mistake wasn't a mistake.

Date: March 09, 2011 11:30AM

It seems like a silly rule then, no? I'd argue that the normal +/- rule should be adjusted when you're not on the ice for an assist. Give the assist man the + and take away the from the individual who just stepped on the ice.

Probably doesn't happen often enough to get too fussed about it, but I'm a man of principle. At least somewhat, particularly when it's convenient to my line of thinking.

NO CHOCOLATE FOR YOU!!burnout

Date: March 09, 2011 12:54PM

RatushnyFan
It seems like a silly rule then, no? I'd argue that the normal +/- rule should be adjusted when you're not on the ice for an assist. Give the assist man the + and take away the from the individual who just stepped on the ice.

Probably doesn't happen often enough to get too fussed about it, but I'm a man of principle. At least somewhat, particularly when it's convenient to my line of thinking.

NO CHOCOLATE FOR YOU!!burnout

:-( !!!

Date: March 09, 2011 05:02PM

RatushnyFan
Rita
It says Ottawa won, which must be a misprint because that never happens nowadays?

Date: March 09, 2011 05:33PM

.......and New Jersey lost. Must be a misprint. Devils are en fuego.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: March 11, 2011 08:32PM

moulson gets a ppg against the bruins with 2sec remaining in the 2nd period
(29 on the season)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 08:33PM by Cactus12.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 04:37AM

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 12, 2011 08:08PM

Moulson with his 30th on a deflection. Subject to change though; even Moulson is shaking his head.

Edit: Indeed, the goal goes to Taveres. Moulson still at 29.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 08:30PM by Jordan 04.

Date: March 13, 2011 08:36AM

Via ECAC site, article on Professor Murray teaching pupil Braun. I like this quote the best.

Head Coach Todd McLellan said. “It’s good for him to mentor a young player. He helps him through hard times and makes sure he’s rewarding him when he makes good plays. I think Cranky makes Brauny feel good when he’s on the ice with his physical presence. He’s a bright guy and he’s got a good memory. He knows the past he experienced.

Posted by: judy (---.wsh.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 10:05AM

Jim Hyla
Via ECAC site, article on Professor Murray teaching pupil Braun. I like this quote the best.

Head Coach Todd McLellan said. “It’s good for him to mentor a young player. He helps him through hard times and makes sure he’s rewarding him when he makes good plays. I think Cranky makes Brauny feel good when he’s on the ice with his physical presence. He’s a bright guy and he’s got a good memory. He knows the past he experienced.

I like how if you scroll down in that article, Murray is fighting Tanner Glass (Dartmouth) and looking like he's coming out the better of the two. Damn that Dartmouth!

Date: March 13, 2011 10:43AM

Sam Rosen mentioned Murray's 31st birthday during last night's game. I felt old.

Posted by: Rita (65.212.112.---)
Date: March 13, 2011 12:29PM

Jordan 04
Sam Rosen mentioned Murray's 31st birthday during last night's game. I felt old.

Try watching Jeff Halpern (Habs, former Princeton Tiger) or Martin St. Louis play blush. I long for the days of watching games in section D (not a typo, I was a gradual student, and actually loved my seats in D).

Date: March 13, 2011 01:57PM

Rita
Jordan 04

Try watching Jeff Halpern (Habs, former Princeton Tiger) or Martin St. Louis play blush. I long for the days of watching games in section D (not a typo, I was a gradual student, and actually loved my seats in D).

No judgment here. My 4 years were in D, E, and G. I believe the team's W/L record was the same in those seats.

Date: March 13, 2011 02:12PM

Rita
Jordan 04

I felt this was too good to pass up, but I can't come up with a good response. Any help out there?:-P

Date: March 13, 2011 04:00PM

Jim Hyla
Rita
Jordan 04

I felt this was too good to pass up, but I can't come up with a good response. Any help out there?:-P

Jim.. I was in graduate school a long time, thus the "gradual".....

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2011 06:15PM

Colin Greening pots his 2nd NHL goal in the first period of the Sens' visit to Buffalo this afternoon.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 06:28PM

Rita
Jim Hyla
Rita
Jordan 04

Jim.. I was in graduate school a long time, thus the "gradual".....

This sounds like something out of The World According to Garp. Did you have any married woman professors?

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2011 08:53PM

Cactus12
(29 on the season)

Matt now gets credit for first period goal -- #30

Date: March 15, 2011 09:24PM

jeff '84
Cactus12
(29 on the season)

Matt now gets credit for first period goal -- #30

He also has 2 assists, giving him the same amount of goals and one more assist than last season, with 11 games to go after this one. So I guess last season wasn't a fluke.

Date: March 16, 2011 12:22AM

What did Dougie do to draw 17 PIM from Steve Ott? Atta boy!

Looks like a tough night on paper for Greening (-3), I didn't see the game though.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 12:58AM

ebilmes

Jason Spezza’s wingers on the Sens’ top line Tuesday — Bobby Butler and Colin Greening — have a combined 24 games of NHL experience and eight years of college between them.

“Lot of college guys around here now,” Spezza said, as he glanced around the Senators dressing room Tuesday morning. “I’m the one with the OHL education. We’ll see how it is.”

I'm late to the party I know - but Butler/Greening - two shining examples of why it pays to stay 4 years in college hockey.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 01:02AM by adamw.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 08:21AM

RatushnyFan

Looks like a tough night on paper for Greening (-3), I didn't see the game though.

Ott was upset about

this hit by Murray, so he decided he wanted to

try to fight Douglas. Ott really is a punk.

Date: March 16, 2011 09:02AM

DisplacedCornellian
RatushnyFan

Ott was upset about

I watched the game with the Dallas announcers and they had a completely different take on that hit by Murray. They made comments like next season that hit should be illegal and they thought it was a dirty play on Murray. It looked fine to me; Murray made a play on the puck, make contact with puck, and his momentum of making that play put him in Eriksson's path. Eriksson needs to keep his head up and know if there are big, burly defensemen on the ice and play accordingly.

After that hit, Ott decided to fight Murray and got an extra 2 min for instigating and a 10 min misconduct.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 16, 2011 09:18AM

Rita
DisplacedCornellian
RatushnyFan

Ott was upset about

I watched the game with the Dallas announcers and they had a completely different take on that hit by Murray. They made comments like next season that hit should be illegal and they thought it was a dirty play on Murray. It looked fine to me; Murray made a play on the puck, make contact with puck, and his momentum of making that play put him in Eriksson's path. Eriksson needs to keep his head up and know if there are big, burly defensemen on the ice and play accordingly.

After that hit, Ott decided to fight Murray and got an extra 2 min for instigating and a 10 min misconduct.

Looked to me like Murray went out of his way not to hurt Eriksson. If you look at the angle at the end of that youtube video, Murray makes a play on the puck, keeps his shoulder down and square to Eriksson (despite the fact that turning towards the puck would probably raise his shoulder to a more dangerous position), and keeps his left knee far out of dangerous category. I'm not sure what you could complain about with that hit.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 16, 2011 09:27AM

If anything Murray appears to pull his left side (shoulder and knee) away from the Eriksson in an effort to avoid contact. At worst, he keeps skating straight ahead -- he never moves a shoulder or knee towards the opponent.

Date: March 16, 2011 10:43AM

Jordan 04
If anything Murray appears to pull his left side (shoulder and knee) away from the Eriksson in an effort to avoid contact. At worst, he keeps skating straight ahead -- he never moves a shoulder or knee towards the opponent.

I agree with you and ftyuv. However, if you were wearing green/black/gold glasses like Darryl Reaugh and his sidekick, you probably didn't see it that way. Heck, they even compared Murray with Bryan Marchment. Yes, if Murray is on the ice, you probably should have your head up, but the way Reaugh was talking, if you just tuned into your first game, you'd think Murray was a dirty player!

Date: March 16, 2011 11:49AM

Puck Daddy's Recap Some more discussion. I agree that there's nothing dirty about the Eriksson hit. No intent on the Vincour play (e.g. didn't drive his elbow into his head), but I wonder if the NHL will move towards players taking responsibility for hits to the head (particularly from the elbow), sort of like you're responsible for your stick. Might be a penalty next year?

Date: March 16, 2011 02:27PM

Rita
Jordan 04

I agree with you and ftyuv. However, if you were wearing green/black/gold glasses like Darryl Reaugh and his sidekick, you probably didn't see it that way. Heck, they even compared Murray with Bryan Marchment. Yes, if Murray is on the ice, you probably should have your head up, but the way Reaugh was talking, if you just tuned into your first game, you'd think Murray was a dirty player!
God, really? That's a horrible comparison. Marchment was to knees what Scott Stevens was to heads.

Date: March 16, 2011 06:15PM

Josh '99
Rita
Jordan 04

God, really? That's a horrible comparison. Marchment was to knees what Scott Stevens was to heads.

During their tirade on Murray, I was shouting some not so nice words at them/my TV.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2011 11:57PM

Doesn't really count as the "pros", and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but Topher Scott is apparently now a "Volunteer Assistant Coach" for the Miami men's team:

[www.ccha.com]

Here's a photo he posted on Facebook of him hoisting the CCHA championship trophy:

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 22, 2011 07:46AM

sah67
Doesn't really count as the "pros", and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but Topher Scott is apparently now a "Volunteer Assistant Coach" for the Miami men's team:

[www.ccha.com]

Here's a photo he posted on Facebook of him hoisting the CCHA championship trophy:

Well pro can mean profession, making money, and if it's a hockey activity it seems to qualify. He's learning from one of the best. Will he bring that back to CU?

Date: March 22, 2011 09:42AM

Rita
Josh '99
Rita
Jordan 04

During their tirade on Murray, I was shouting some not so nice words at them/my TV.
In the post-game on Versus last night, Ed Olczyk and Keith Jones were talking about Matt Cooke's suspension and how lots of guys in the league think he's a cheap shot artist. They contrasted that with guys who deliver hard clean checks, and gave Douglas Murray as the example.

Date: March 22, 2011 09:55AM

Jim Hyla
sah67

[www.ccha.com]

Well pro can mean profession, making money, and if it's a hockey activity it seems to qualify. He's learning from one of the best. Will he bring that back to CU?
The CCHA championship trophy? Not unless the fallout from the BTHC is worse than any of us expect! demented

Date: March 22, 2011 01:12PM

Jim Hyla
sah67

[www.ccha.com]

Great to have a half-dozen Cornell alums as assistants elsewhere who could come back to Cornell as a more senior assistant coach, or be out there if for some reason the Cornell position were open. Learn from another great coach elsewhere, combine that with the Cornell system you learned as a player, and maybe there's an even better system in place a decade from now.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 22, 2011 02:57PM

Jim Hyla
sah67

[www.ccha.com]

[nit]"Volunteer Assistant Coach"[/nit] :-P

Posted by: abbottfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2011 07:34PM

Colin Greening just netted his 3rd NHL goal against the Carolina Hurricanes.

Date: March 22, 2011 08:42PM

abbottfan

The announcers said it was a garbage goal. I think it is more of a great job following the shot and getting the rebound. It was also a nice pass Colin made to Spezza.

Date: March 22, 2011 10:24PM

Rita
abbottfan

The announcers said it was a garbage goal. I think it is more of a great job following the shot and getting the rebound. It was also a nice pass Colin made to Spezza.

They don't ask how, they just ask how many.

(That's not my original. NBC, Versus, and Devils' play-by-play guy Doc Emrick says that often when people get garbage goals.)

Date: March 22, 2011 10:35PM

Ronald '09
Rita
abbottfan

(That's not my original. NBC, Versus, and Devils' play-by-play guy Doc Emrick says that often when people get garbage goals.)

I can't remember what his 2nd goal looked like, but I don't think any of his goals have been that great-looking. The first one went in off a skate.
A goal is a goal whether it's pretty or not.

Date: March 22, 2011 11:23PM

abbottfan
Ronald '09
Rita
abbottfan

I can't remember what his 2nd goal looked like, but I don't think any of his goals have been that great-looking. The first one went in off a skate.
Yep. And better players than Greening made careers out of garbage goals, no shame in that.

Date: March 23, 2011 07:30AM

Josh '99
abbottfan
Ronald '09
Rita
abbottfan

Yep. And better players than Greening made careers out of garbage goals, no shame in that.
I would have bet that was gonna be a picture of Steve Shutt.

Date: March 23, 2011 10:13AM

Beating your man to the net and slamming home a rebound is a beautiful thing IMHO.

Date: March 23, 2011 10:36AM

RatushnyFan
Beating your man to the net and slamming home a rebound is a beautiful thing IMHO.

In my opinion too. That is why I got a bit miffed when it was referred to as a "garbage goal". I just thought it was good hustle, a good hockey play on Greening's part.

Date: March 23, 2011 10:46AM

Rita
RatushnyFan

In my opinion too. That is why I got a bit miffed when it was referred to as a "garbage goal". I just thought it was good hustle, a good hockey play on Greening's part.

I think the term garbage goal is appropriate, but also doesn't necessarily mean it's ugly. If you look at the analogy more closely, it refers to "cleaning up the garbage" meaning that it came on a rebound. Calling it a garbage goal is a fairly specific description of how the goal was scored, not a comment on the goal's relative "beauty." I'm just making a general comment, didn't see Colin's goal last night.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 23, 2011 11:24AM

Ronald '09
Rita
RatushnyFan

I think the term garbage goal is appropriate, but also doesn't necessarily mean it's ugly. If you look at the analogy more closely, it refers to "cleaning up the garbage" meaning that it came on a rebound. Calling it a garbage goal is a fairly specific description of how the goal was scored, not a comment on the goal's relative "beauty." I'm just making a general comment, didn't see Colin's goal last night.

Maybe it's just semantics, but to me a garbage goal is one which you really "shouldn't" have had. For instance, you're behind the net, you try to pass it to a someone, there's a weird deflection and it goes in off a defender's stick. Yeah it's in, yeah you get the point, and yeah you could argue that you had something to do with the defense being scrambly -- but it's not like you meant for it to work that way. Greening's goal wasn't that, though, it was good hustle to get the goal off the rebound. It's not garbage, it's Hockey 101.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 23, 2011 11:38AM

ftyuv
Maybe it's just semantics, but to me a garbage goal is one which you really "shouldn't" have had. For instance, you're behind the net, you try to pass it to a someone, there's a weird deflection and it goes in off a defender's stick. Yeah it's in, yeah you get the point, and yeah you could argue that you had something to do with the defense being scrambly -- but it's not like you meant for it to work that way.
Everyone I play with uses "garbage goal" this way, as well.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.inet6.dpw.com)
Date: March 23, 2011 12:48PM

Kyle Rose
ftyuv
Maybe it's just semantics, but to me a garbage goal is one which you really "shouldn't" have had. For instance, you're behind the net, you try to pass it to a someone, there's a weird deflection and it goes in off a defender's stick. Yeah it's in, yeah you get the point, and yeah you could argue that you had something to do with the defense being scrambly -- but it's not like you meant for it to work that way.

Kinda like these?

Date: March 23, 2011 12:57PM

amerks127
Kyle Rose
ftyuv

Kinda like these?
#9 doesn't really qualify. #8 is marginal.

I also think the goals scored on dump-ins aren't really what most people mean by "garbage goal". These guys are shooting on-net rather than into the corner for a reason: because sometimes, however rarely, the pucks goes in. There's a difference between that and, say, scoring on a clear from the far end of the ice, or scoring on a cross-ice pass that gets deflected in by a defender.

Date: March 23, 2011 01:19PM

I always thought it just meant the puck and a whole mess o' players were mixed up in a scrum in front of the net and it winds up in (that's what a Steve Shutt Special is: everybody's in there with elbows high and limbs flailing about and the goalie is probably under 2 of his own guys). Deflections off the back of pads from a terrible angle were, I thought, "fluke goals."

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 23, 2011 01:28PM

Trotsky
I always thought it just meant the puck and a whole mess o' players were mixed up in a scrum in front of the net and it winds up in (that's what a Steve Shutt Special is: everybody's in there with elbows high and limbs flailing about and the goalie is probably under 2 of his own guys). Deflections off the back of pads from a terrible angle were, I thought, "fluke goals."
Me too.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 23, 2011 02:29PM

Trotsky
Deflections off the back of pads from a terrible angle were, I thought, "fluke goals."
Sometimes they're intentional.

Date: March 23, 2011 03:06PM

ftyuv
Trotsky
Deflections off the back of pads from a terrible angle were, I thought, "fluke goals."
Sometimes they're intentional.
Gretzky was a master at this sort of goal.

Date: March 23, 2011 08:24PM

And Mike Liut was a master at letting in that sort of goal.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2011 09:32AM

Greening scored last night (after lengthy video review). I saw his game against the Rangers on Thursday, and he was excellent, with 5 SOGs. He looks every bit like an NHL regular to me.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 10:45AM

scoop85
Greening scored last night (after lengthy video review). I saw his game against the Rangers on Thursday, and he was excellent, with 5 SOGs. He looks every bit like an NHL regular to me.

Looked like a garbage goal to merolleyes

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 11:28AM

Josh '99
And better players than Greening made careers out of garbage goals, no shame in that.
It remains to be seen who will be the better player.

Posted by: kfish (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 26, 2011 06:02PM

My husband chatted with him when he was up at Lake State for their most recent game against Miami. He's pursuing a Masters degree in Sports Performance and Behavior at Miami. Not surprisingly, he's hoping to get into coaching.

Date: March 26, 2011 07:45PM

jkahn
Josh '99
And better players than Greening made careers out of garbage goals, no shame in that.
It remains to be seen who will be the better player.
Haha, true, I meant no disrespect to Greening's burgeoning NHL career. :-D

Date: March 27, 2011 09:30PM

Here's a link to a recent interview with Colin from the Sens website
[video.senators.nhl.com]

Date: March 27, 2011 09:47PM

abbottfan
[video.senators.nhl.com]

Thank you for posting this link. Chris and Cam are 1A and 1B in my heart, but Colin is making a hard charge from the #2 slot :).

Date: March 27, 2011 10:11PM

Rita
abbottfan
[video.senators.nhl.com]

Thank you for posting this link. Chris and Cam are 1A and 1B in my heart, but Colin is making a hard charge from the #2 slot :).

Agreed

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 05:25PM

Tony Romano was recognized for his community service and named his team's entrant for AHL Man of the Year.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login