Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - February 2011

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Alumni in the Pros - February 2011
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.jsc.nasa.gov)
Date: February 21, 2011 10:02AM

Trotsky
nshapiro
Was there a brief period of time with 7 Cornell players on NHL rosters?

For the year we're up to 8. Not sure about simultaneity.

Trotsky,

How come Eliot does not have any red bars associated with him on the page? (on TBRW)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 10:56AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

Bitz is still listed on the Florida roster, even if he's on IR. Officially, it should be 9.
Thanks, I added him. This brings up a philosophical issue. I have been using "dressed for a game" as the rule. Another standard would be "played in a game," another would be "was on the roster" (is this like the 40-man roster in baseball).

I dunno, what do others think? What's the appropriate metric for measuring a Cornell presence in the NHL?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 11:06AM by Trotsky.

Date: February 21, 2011 10:58AM

Chris 02
Trotsky
nshapiro

Trotsky,

How come Eliot does not have any red bars associated with him on the page? (on TBRW)
Oversight. Added now. Thank you!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 11:00AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 11:00AM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

Bitz is still listed on the Florida roster, even if he's on IR. Officially, it should be 9.
Well this brings up a philosophical issue. I have been using "dressed for a game" as the rule. Another standard would be "played in a game," another would be "was on the roster" (is this like the 50-man roster in baseball).

I dunno, what do others think? What's the appropriate metric for measuring a Cornell presence in the NHL?
Getting paid as an NHLer. If he's paid NHL wages being on the roster, he should be listed as in the NHL. I suspect if he's paid, it's the NHL club that counts him as an expense.

Date: February 21, 2011 11:03AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

Well this brings up a philosophical issue. I have been using "dressed for a game" as the rule. Another standard would be "played in a game," another would be "was on the roster" (is this like the 50-man roster in baseball).

Getting paid as an NHLer. If he's paid NHL wages being on the roster, he should be listed as in the NHL. I suspect if he's paid, it's the NHL club that counts him as an expense.
Bobby Bonilla's going to get paid as a Met until 2025... but he also isn't on the roster.

Also, I meant "40-man roster."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 11:05AM by Trotsky.

Date: February 21, 2011 11:10AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

Bobby Bonilla's going to get paid as a Met until 2025... but he also isn't on the roster.

But aside from injuries, does that happen in the NHL?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 11:18AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

IM(very)HO, it should be "dressed for a game." Being on the roster but not dressed essentially means you're the next one to be in the NHL, but you're not quite there yet -- maybe not as far as payroll is concerned, but as far as the fans, announcers, and probably the coach is concerned. And probably the player's mom, too. :-)

Date: February 21, 2011 11:30AM

ftyuv
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

IM(very)HO, it should be "dressed for a game." Being on the roster but not dressed essentially means you're the next one to be in the NHL, but you're not quite there yet -- maybe not as far as payroll is concerned, but as far as the fans, announcers, and probably the coach is concerned. And probably the player's mom, too. :-)
So what about if you're injured?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 01:15PM

Jim Hyla
ftyuv
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

I was addressing when you start being an NHL player. What you're asking concerns how you stop being an NHL player, which is a different question in my mind. But just to cover all the basis... if you were going to dress for your first NHL game, but got injured in the morning practice and had to sit out the game, then sadly, I would say you haven't yet been in the NHL. Very close, but not quite there.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: February 21, 2011 01:22PM

#24 for Moulson.

Date: February 21, 2011 01:52PM

ftyuv
Jim Hyla
ftyuv
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

I was addressing when you start being an NHL player. What you're asking concerns how you stop being an NHL player, which is a different question in my mind. But just to cover all the basis... if you were going to dress for your first NHL game, but got injured in the morning practice and had to sit out the game, then sadly, I would say you haven't yet been in the NHL. Very close, but not quite there.
Sorry, I didn't realize you were refering to starting, as this whole discussion got started with Bitz on IR.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 02:33PM

Jordan 04
#24 for Moulson.

Not to mention #25....

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2011 03:21PM

jeff '84
Jordan 04
#24 for Moulson.

Not to mention #25....

And #26 with the ENG to seal the game, Moulson's second career NHL hat trick, and five goals in the last two games.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 03:23PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2011 04:43PM

ftyuv
Jim Hyla
ftyuv
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

This brings up the question of Jason Elliott's Stanley Cup...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 07:29PM

Greening is doing well in practice, at least:

On Monday, during the team's skills competition, rookie Colin Greening also made a surprisingly good showing, setting a new team record in the fastest skater competition and challenging Matt Carkner for the team's hardest shot.

Greening, a 24-year-old forward from St. John's, N.L., who made his NHL debut on Feb. 1 and has played three career games, upstaged defenceman Erik Karlsson after Karlsson's lap of 13.700 seconds around the ice broke Antoine Vermette's old team record of 13.709. Greening went next and did it in 13.665 seconds.

"I thought Erik was going to get the that, for sure," Greening said. "When I saw I was next, I was just like, 'Don't get embarrassed."

Greening then fired a slapshot at 100.5 miles per hour, topped only by Carkner's 101.1 miles per hour. His performance earned the moniker of "Usain Bolt" from Spezza.

"He's the fastest man alive," Spezza quipped.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 09:52PM

jtwcornell91
ftyuv
Jim Hyla
ftyuv
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

I know he got to carry it but I'm pretty sure his name wasn't engraved on the plate. I think the rule there is that you have to skate. I'm pretty sure the #2 goalie didn't get his name on the cup either.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 10:07PM

Beeeej
jeff '84
Jordan 04
#24 for Moulson.

Not to mention #25....

And #26 with the ENG to seal the game, Moulson's second career NHL hat trick, and five goals in the last two games.

Too bad he's letting that new contract get to his head :-}

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 12:04AM

In baseball it's really the 25-man roster. You can be on the 40-man roster and never get out of the minor leagues.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 01:10AM

ebilmes
Greening is doing well in practice, at least:

On Monday, during the team's skills competition, rookie Colin Greening also made a surprisingly good showing, setting a new team record in the fastest skater competition and challenging Matt Carkner for the team's hardest shot.

Greening, a 24-year-old forward from St. John's, N.L., who made his NHL debut on Feb. 1 and has played three career games, upstaged defenceman Erik Karlsson after Karlsson's lap of 13.700 seconds around the ice broke Antoine Vermette's old team record of 13.709. Greening went next and did it in 13.665 seconds.

"I thought Erik was going to get the that, for sure," Greening said. "When I saw I was next, I was just like, 'Don't get embarrassed."

Greening then fired a slapshot at 100.5 miles per hour, topped only by Carkner's 101.1 miles per hour. His performance earned the moniker of "Usain Bolt" from Spezza.

"He's the fastest man alive," Spezza quipped.

Here is the Sens write up

[senators.nhl.com]

and an interview with Colin about the skills competition

[video.senators.nhl.com]

via [www.ecachockey.com]

Posted by: hockeychick470 (---.cumc.columbia.edu)
Date: February 22, 2011 01:08PM

A friend in ATX sent me this email. Nice event but I thought it was interesting considering Sawada's been IR since 2/3.... unless I missed something?

(original email sent 2/21)

The Cornell Club of Austin would like to invite you and your guests to join your fellow alumni as we cheer on fellow Cornellian Raymond Sawada '08 and the Texas Stars as they take on the Houston Aeros on Saturday, March 5th at the Cedar Park Arena!

A quick bio: Raymond Sawada played all 4 years at Cornell (with 2 NCAA appearances) before being drafted in the 2nd round to the Dallas Stars organization. Last year, Ray and the Texas Stars made their incredible run to the Calder Cup finals. To top off his pro resume, he has played 5 regular games with the Dallas Stars, scoring a goal in his NHL debut!

Now for the event details:

To buy tickets, call: Rebekah Hurley @ 512-600-5011 or rhurley@texasstarshockey.com (see attached flyer).

You can purchase your tickets through the Stars representative and they will place them at the will-call booth under your name. Be sure to tell them you're with the Cornell Alumni group to get the quoted rate and be seated together.

There will be an early dinner around 4pm. The location is TBD and we'll get those details out to you as soon as they're finalized.

From there, we can leave our cars at the parking lot and carpool over to the Cedar Park Arena, arriving around 5:45PM where we will participate in the "Ride the Bench" activity where we will SIT ON THE BENCH while both teams warm up. (disclaimer) There will be minimal protection from flying pucks that come towards the bench so please keep that in mind! This activity is optional and is limited to 20 people.

The game itself starts at 7pm.

Keep in mind that each car costs $10 for parking so I highly encourage everyone to carpool. If you are not joining us for the pre-grame event, please note that there will be a lot of traffic getting to the Arena so the sooner you get to the arena, the better.

Please RSVP as soon as possible to Peter Wang at pw33@cornell.edu or call/text 713-302-3412 and cite whether you will be joining us for dinner and the pre-game activity. There are only 30 tickets and 20 spaces on the "Ride the Bench" event so first come, first serve.

Cornell has a proud hockey tradition, being ECAC 2010 champs with regular appearances to the NCAA tournament. Its great to see Cornell and such a talented hockey team as the Texas Stars come together right here in Austin! So come out and support your fellow Cornellian and the Stars!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 02:04PM

ugarte
jtwcornell91
ftyuv
Jim Hyla
ftyuv
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

I know he got to carry it but I'm pretty sure his name wasn't engraved on the plate. I think the rule there is that you have to skate. I'm pretty sure the #2 goalie didn't get his name on the cup either.
Generally, to get your name on the Stanley Cup as a player, you have to play 41 games with the team during the regular season, or one game during the Stanley Cup Finals. I believe in this context "play in" means "dress for"; for example, this close-up view of the engraving for the 2000-01 Colorado Avalanche includes David Aebischer (ninth row, far left), who played 26 games as Patrick Roy's backup but presumably was dressed and on the bench for significantly more than the 41-game threshold. (Aebischer did play in one game in the playoffs, but not in the finals.) I looked for Elliott's name last time I saw the Cup and it is not engraved.

Date: February 22, 2011 07:00PM

Willy '06
In baseball it's really the 25-man roster. You can be on the 40-man roster and never get out of the minor leagues.
Well, I was thinking the 40-man because of IR, but your point is taken.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 08:12PM

Moulson gets his 27th of the year against the Maple Leafs; he collected a bouncing puck from the point and easily put it into an open net.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 08:33PM

kingpin248
Moulson gets his 27th of the year against the Maple Leafs; he collected a bouncing puck from the point and easily put it into an open net.

They are going to interview him again between periods, coming up shortly... msg +

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 08:36PM

Dare I say............en fuego

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2011 08:48PM

Moulson now tied for 9th in goal scoring for the season (the list doesn't reflect tonight's goal)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 23, 2011 08:07AM

scoop85
Moulson now tied for 9th in goal scoring for the season (the list doesn't reflect tonight's goal)

I hope he cools off for Thursday night, and then heats up again. whistle

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2011 07:59PM

Greening got his first NHL point, an assist on Bobby Butler's first period goal.

EDIT: Finished with one assist, +2, 14:03 of ice time, including 1:49 on the powerplay and 6 seconds on the penalty kill.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2011 09:24PM by Ronald '09.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2011 09:34PM

Ronald '09
Greening got his first NHL point, an assist on Bobby Butler's first period goal.

EDIT: Finished with one assist, +2, 14:03 of ice time, including 1:49 on the powerplay and 6 seconds on the penalty kill.

Here is the link for the video of Colin's assist. Colin did a very nice job holding onto to the puck until he could make a nice pass to Butler.

EDIT: The Florida Panthers TV broadcast crew interviewed Colin during the second intermission. A very good interview; Colin is so well-spoken. He mentioned how this call-up is easier than his first in that several guys on the team now were teammates of his in Binghamton. He said that rapport he has with these guys makes it easier.

I'll look tomorrow to see if the interview gets posted on the panther website.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 01:24AM by Rita.

Date: February 23, 2011 10:48PM

According to the TSN announcers, Ryan O'Byrne got cut by an Edmonton skate (Taylor Hall's) in the first period of tonight's game and he has yet to return. I didn't see the play and I'm not sure how serious it is.

Posted by: nr53 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 04:39AM

Rita
According to the TSN announcers, Ryan O'Byrne got cut by an Edmonton skate (Taylor Hall's) in the first period of tonight's game and he has yet to return. I didn't see the play and I'm not sure how serious it is.

Ouch...

Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: February 24, 2011 04:47PM

nr53
Rita

Ouch...

O’Byrne Update
"Avalanche defenseman Ryan O’Byrne wasn’t at practice Thursday, one day after suffering a facial laceration in Colorado’s game against Edmonton.

The blueliner is expected to miss between seven and ten days due to the injury, which required approximately 100 stitches to be administered at a local hospital.

About four minutes into Wednesday’s contest, O’Byrne was behind Colorado’s net when the skate of Edmonton rookie Taylor Hall shot up and caught him in the cheek. Although bleeding profusely, O’Byrne finished his shift before exiting the game and immediately making his way to the locker room."

Ouch, double Ouch, and triple Ouch!

Re: Alumni in the Pros - February 2011_bored
Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: February 24, 2011 05:10PM

If you are bored and need something to do especially now that Robb has so nicely worked out Cornell's playoff seeding possibilities, go to the Ottawa Senators' home page and vote for Colin.

On the lower right side of the page is a poll for "which Sens prospect are you most excited about". Colin is at 12% of the vote. Maybe if he scores 2 goals in Buffalo he can get to Bobby Butler's level :-P.

Date: February 24, 2011 06:39PM

Sort of Alumni: Last Sat Ben Scrivens parents sat next to us at the game. By the way they were talking it sounded like Ben would have come to senior night if he hadn't gotten called up. At least they were lamenting that he had to called on senior night. But the real neat thing was seeing where he got his enthusiasm. Almost the first thing his father said was, "Do you guys know the cheers?". They then went on to cheer at every opportunity, Dartmouth penalties, waving their hands, cheering, counting and yelling sieve and it's all your fault after goals, for some. I was amazed. Very easy to talk to them, but I'm sure that's why Ben's helmet was painted as it was.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: February 24, 2011 10:05PM

Rita
If you are bored and need something to do especially now that Robb has so nicely worked out Cornell's playoff seeding possibilities, go to the Ottawa Senators' home page and vote for Colin.

On the lower right side of the page is a poll for "which Sens prospect are you most excited about". Colin is at 12% of the vote. Maybe if he scores 2 goals in Buffalo he can get to Bobby Butler's level :-P.

Can't find it anymore. Do you have a direct link?

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 10:32PM

Roy 82
Rita

I was just on it. It's on the right side of the page under the schedule.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-69-99-95.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2011 11:38PM

Jim Hyla
Sort of Alumni: Last Sat Ben Scrivens parents sat next to us at the game. By the way they were talking it sounded like Ben would have come to senior night if he hadn't gotten called up. At least they were lamenting that he had to called on senior night. But the real neat thing was seeing where he got his enthusiasm. Almost the first thing his father said was, "Do you guys know the cheers?". They then went on to cheer at every opportunity, Dartmouth penalties, waving their hands, cheering, counting and yelling sieve and it's all your fault after goals, for some. I was amazed. Very easy to talk to them, but I'm sure that's why Ben's helmet was painted as it was.

I sat next to them at the regionals. It was very enjoyable. Quoting: He was living the dream. They really appreciated Cornell and the fans.

When converting one of the games to DVD I noticed Ben's dad handling out stuffed animals the night they were tossed for charity. Truly a classy family.

Date: February 25, 2011 09:16AM

Roy 82
Rita

It seems to be a PC friendly poll. I couldn't see it on my Mac (when I found it, I was on a PC).

Posted by: munchkin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 10:48AM

Rita
Roy 82
Rita

It seems to be a PC friendly poll. I couldn't see it on my Mac (when I found it, I was on a PC).
I found it on my Mac. I had to refresh the page, there was something else at the bottom the first time.

Date: February 25, 2011 11:04AM

munchkin
Rita
Roy 82
Rita

I found it on my Mac. I had to refresh the page, there was something else at the bottom the first time.
Is it the Home Hardware Fan Poll? If so, I have a blank under it.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 27, 2011 03:42PM

Not a Cornell alum, but you may find this Hugh Jessiman article interesting, particularly its title:
[sports.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 27, 2011 04:32PM

Greening picks up an assist in the Sens win against Philly Saturday night (on a nice cycle play behind the net).

Also a "Who are these guys?" comment from the Flyers announcers crazy

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: February 27, 2011 07:35PM

Greening was sent back down today.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - February 2011 (Jessiman)
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 07:26AM

Not surprising: Dartmouth man takes eight years to graduate, this time to the NHL.

Posted by: ebilmes (204.76.0.---)
Date: March 01, 2011 07:30PM

Greening called back up today. He thought it was a joke that he was playing on the NHL Sens top line:
[www.tsn.ca]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 07:30PM by ebilmes.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.inet6.dpw.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 07:50PM

ebilmes
Greening called back up today. He thought it was a joke that he was playing on the NHL Sens top line:
[www.tsn.ca]

After the moves the Sens made, there will be a long process of rebuilding their organization. They traded Kovalev, Ruutu, and Fisher, while only claiming a mediocre Svatos on waivers. I expect Greening (and Butler and Locke) will likely see significant NHL time going forward.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login