Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Vote for your favorite hockey player by jersey number

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
Vote for your favorite hockey player by jersey number
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2011 05:27PM

Here's the link: [www.cornellbigred.com]

I, unfortunately, get an error every time I try to submit my vote.

Re: Vote for your favorite hockey player by jersey number
Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: January 26, 2011 05:35PM

Al DeFlorio
Here's the link: [www.cornellbigred.com]

I, unfortunately, get an error every time I try to submit my vote.
I, too.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2011 08:58PM

So I won't try yet. However I'm not optimistic about the voting. For example, look at my favorite, 14. Do you think Dan Lodboa can beat out Riley Nash? Not I, but for what he did for CU hockey, there is no comparison. Start up the obligatory, this is the favorite not the best or most significant, talk. I know, I guess it's why I don't like fan voting, myself included.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2011 09:45PM

Someone should tell them it's "Rick" Sacchetti and not "Rich".

Also, the voting does seem to work properly now.

Date: January 26, 2011 10:26PM

Yes, it works now. Seems to me John Hughes wasn't on the ballot the first time I tried, and he's an important addition.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 26, 2011 11:33PM

Al DeFlorio
Yes, it works now. Seems to me John Hughes wasn't on the ballot the first time I tried, and he's an important addition.
John changed numbers each season, 10, 20 and then 21, so he could be listed three times. There were several others back then who also switched when a number they liked more opened up, e.g. Cornell, McGuinn, Pettit, McCutcheon, Fullan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 09:43AM by jkahn.

Date: January 27, 2011 09:50AM

jkahn
Al DeFlorio
John changed numbers each season, 10, 20 and then 21, so he could be listed three times. There were several others back then who also switched when a number they liked more opened up, e.g. Cornell, McGuinn, Pettit, McCutcheon, Fullan.
According to a mass email from Mike Schafer this morning, John Hughes, Bruce Pattison, and Murray Death (now Deathe) were late additions to the list.

Cornell's two-time All-Americans were: Brian Cornell, Ken Dryden (three-time), Doug Ferguson, Doug Murray, Lance Nethery, Joe Nieuwendyk, Bruce Pattison, and Dan Ratushny. Unfortunately, Murray and Nethery both wore number 6.:-/

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: January 27, 2011 11:06AM

Curious why they didn't simply list everyone. I would have voted for some hard working 4 year lettermen who didn't make the list who I admired during my Cornell days (Phil Nobel, Stephane Gauvin, Karl Williams, Marc Deschamps). I doubt that it would change the end results. In any event, it was fun to go through the voting process!

Posted by: marty (---.sub-75-194-236.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2011 11:38AM

Al DeFlorio
jkahn
Al DeFlorio
According to a mass email from Mike Schafer this morning, John Hughes, Bruce Pattison, and Murray Death (now Deathe) were late additions to the list.

Cornell's two-time All-Americans were: Brian Cornell, Ken Dryden (three-time), Doug Ferguson, Doug Murray, Lance Nethery, Joe Nieuwendyk, Bruce Pattison, and Dan Ratushny. Unfortunately, Murray and Nethery both wore number 6.:-/

I can't vote for my favorite #6 who was team captain in 1974-75.

Dave Peace reunited with his jersey at the Plum Blossum in Troy.

Date: January 27, 2011 03:17PM

Josh '99

And this: "Stephen Bâby (1986-87 - 1989-90)"

Date: January 27, 2011 04:44PM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99

And this: "Stephen Bâby (1986-87 - 1989-90)"
Dunno, Jim. It's starting to seem like it was that long ago.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: February 08, 2011 07:42PM

The results of the vote have been released.

Fan Favorites By Number
1 - Ken Dryden
2 - Dan Ratushny
3 - Mike Schafer
4 - Gordon Lowe
5 - Justin Krueger
6 - Douglas Murray
7 - Brock Tredway
8 - Ryan Vesce
9 - Brian McCutcheon
10 - John Hughes
11 - Mitch Carefoot
12 - Raymond Sawada
14 - Riley Nash
15 - Colin Greening
16 - Greg Hornby
17 - Doug Derraugh
18 - Murray Death
19 - Chris Abbott
20 - Casey Jones
21 - Stephen Bâby
22 - Dan Glover
23 - Jeremy Downs
24 - Matt Moulson
25 - Joe Nieuwendyk
26 - Topher Scott
27 - Blake Gallagher
28 - Joe Scali
29 - Byron Bitz
30 - Ben Scrivens
31 - David LeNeveu
33 - Andy Iles
35 - Mike Garman

The auction is now open on each jersey. By my (very quick) count 21 of 32 are players from the last 7-10 years.

[cornellbigred.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 07:44PM by Chris '03.

Date: February 08, 2011 08:19PM

Chris '03
The results of the vote have been released.

Fan Favorites By Number
1 - Ken Dryden
2 - Dan Ratushny
3 - Mike Schafer
4 - Gordon Lowe
5 - Justin Krueger
6 - Douglas Murray
7 - Brock Tredway
8 - Ryan Vesce
9 - Brian McCutcheon
10 - John Hughes
11 - Mitch Carefoot
12 - Raymond Sawada
14 - Riley Nash
15 - Colin Greening
16 - Greg Hornby
17 - Doug Derraugh
18 - Murray Death
19 - Chris Abbott
20 - Casey Jones
21 - Stephen Bâby
22 - Dan Glover
23 - Jeremy Downs
24 - Matt Moulson
25 - Joe Nieuwendyk
26 - Topher Scott
27 - Blake Gallagher
28 - Joe Scali
29 - Byron Bitz
30 - Ben Scrivens
31 - David LeNeveu
33 - Andy Iles
35 - Mike Garman

The auction is now open on each jersey. By my (very quick) count 21 of 32 are players from the last 7-10 years.

[cornellbigred.com]
Ugh.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2011 08:22PM

Al DeFlorio
Ugh.

Guess you should've organized your contemporaries a little better. :) In all seriousness, the bidding is likely going to go pretty much the same way as the voting, so it's probably just as well.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: munchkin (64.134.66.---)
Date: February 08, 2011 09:24PM

Are we surprised? The people doing the bidding and knowing to go on the Cornell Athletics page are people who have been watching, for the most part, only the last 7-10 years of the team.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 07:57AM

Beeeej
Al DeFlorio
Ugh.

Guess you should've organized your contemporaries a little better. :) In all seriousness, the bidding is likely going to go pretty much the same way as the voting, so it's probably just as well.
Good point. The idea is to maximize revenue, not pick the real all-time team by number.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: February 09, 2011 10:01AM

Still bugs me that I couldn't vote for my favorite #39 ever, Eddy Skazyk.

Date: February 09, 2011 10:20AM

It seems pretty dumb to me that they're only going to update the page with leading bids every two days (until the last day, when they'll conduct bidding by e-mail). They'll probably have a dozen $150 bids on each jersey in the first two days, when they could have had bidding up to $200 or more by updating it every few hours - or by using an algorithm that would update the bids automatically. It can't be that difficult.*

*...said the English major.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Robb (---.etn.com)
Date: February 09, 2011 12:32PM

Beeeej
It seems pretty dumb to me that they're only going to update the page with leading bids every two days (until the last day, when they'll conduct bidding by e-mail). They'll probably have a dozen $150 bids on each jersey in the first two days, when they could have had bidding up to $200 or more by updating it every few hours - or by using an algorithm that would update the bids automatically. It can't be that difficult.*

*...said the English major.
Why don't they just put them up on eBay?*

*...said the non-lawyer

Date: February 09, 2011 12:42PM

Robb
Why don't they just put them up on eBay?*

*...said the non-lawyer

Presumably, eBay would charge a listing fee and a percentage of the final price for each jersey - and also wouldn't allow an auction that's nearly four weeks long.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 09, 2011 05:14PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Al DeFlorio
Ugh.

Good point. The idea is to maximize revenue, not pick the real all-time team by number.
Yeah, but still sad to me that they are using '67 sweaters, without many of the '67 stars. Now, that may be important to me since I saw that '67 team, but...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 05:25PM

Jim Hyla
Yeah, but still sad to me that they are using '67 sweaters, without many of the '67 stars. Now, that may be important to me since I saw that '67 team, but...
Anything that helps scour away the memory of this year's cheap knock-off jerseys is a Good Thing.

Is the old font a little more squared off?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 05:28PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 05:53PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Anything that helps scour away the memory of this year's cheap knock-off jerseys is a Good Thing.

Actually, I noticed awhile back that this year's reds are like the '67's, with white on the bottom rather than red below the white, so I've been fine with the red uniforms. The white on the other hand is BU and we should not be wearing those.

Date: February 09, 2011 06:06PM

Trotsky

Yes.Sans serif, too.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 06:44PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Al DeFlorio
Ugh.

It doesn't even purport to be an all-time team, rather a list of "favorites". The polling was going to be subjective and subject to recency bias no matter what they called it, so at least they picked a name that builds the subjectivity right in. Doesn't seem worth getting agitated over to me, and I say that as someone who didn't overlap as an undergrad with ANY of the guys who were listed. (As far as I can figure, there's nobody between Dan Ratushny and the guys from the class of 2003, i.e. nobody from the 1996 and 1997 ECAC championship teams.)

Date: February 09, 2011 07:14PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
Beeeej
Al DeFlorio
Ugh.

It doesn't even purport to be an all-time team, rather a list of "favorites". The polling was going to be subjective and subject to recency bias no matter what they called it, so at least they picked a name that builds the subjectivity right in. Doesn't seem worth getting agitated over to me, and I say that as someone who didn't overlap as an undergrad with ANY of the guys who were listed. (As far as I can figure, there's nobody between Dan Ratushny and the guys from the class of 2003, i.e. nobody from the 1996 and 1997 ECAC championship teams.)
Who is agitated?

Date: February 09, 2011 07:51PM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Trotsky
Beeeej
Al DeFlorio
Ugh.

Who is agitated?
Maybe "agitated" was the wrong word; "Ugh." would seem to suggest that Al is at least... irked?

Date: February 09, 2011 08:42PM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Trotsky
Beeeej
Al DeFlorio
Ugh.

Who is agitated?
Maybe "agitated" was the wrong word; "Ugh." would seem to suggest that Al is at least... irked?
Yes, "agitated" was, not surprisingly, an overstatement. I wouldn't say "irked" is accurate, either. I'm just disappointed with the list. That's all. I suspect others of my era are, too. And I'm not convinced that bidders from the classes of '00 through '10 will be more generous in their offers than those from the '60s and '70s would have been, so that argument seems spurious to me.

Where Josh was right was in saying the outcome of the voting was predictable, as Jim Hyla's prescient posting back on January 26 demonstrates. Being predictable doesn't mean an "ugh" isn't an appropriate response from some of us who've seen all those players on the ice. With that, I think we've wasted enough time and space on this.

Date: February 09, 2011 09:24PM

Al DeFlorio
Yes, "agitated" was, not surprisingly, an overstatement. I wouldn't say "irked" is accurate, either. I'm just disappointed with the list. That's all. I suspect others of my era are, too. And I'm not convinced that bidders from the classes of '00 through '10 will be more generous in their offers than those from the '60s and '70s would have been, so that argument seems spurious to me.
Sorry if I misunderstood; didn't mean to put words in your mouth, of course.

Date: February 14, 2011 03:27PM

Nieuwendyk's and Dryden's jerseys currently lead the bidding, at $500 and $300 respectively. Several more recent players are still at the $125 starting bid.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 04:22PM

Beeeej
Nieuwendyk's and Dryden's jerseys currently lead the bidding, at $500 and $300 respectively. Several more recent players are still at the $125 starting bid.
Just like with EBay, it's pointless to bid until the very end of bidding. I am waiting.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 05:31PM

NO ONE ELSE BID ON VESCE DAMMIT!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: February 14, 2011 06:46PM

Hmmm.......went to Cornell and in the Bay Area........are you secretly trying to push bidding traffic to Vesce so that you can buy Douglas' jersey on the cheap?

[crack!] Homie don't play dat.

Date: February 28, 2011 05:27PM

There are still some bargains to be had in the online bidding, and it's all over in two days.

[www.cornellbigred.com]

- Steve Worona

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: March 02, 2011 10:38AM

As predicted, bidding heating up in the last 4 hrs of the Auction. Interesting that at the last notice
Iles' jersey had a bid $90 more than Garman's. Hope it doesn't get into Mike's head:-). Both were higher than Scali, Bitz, Scrivens, and Scott. Nieuwendyk and Dryden both at $1000. whistle

Date: March 02, 2011 02:06PM

Somebody blew me out of the water with a Ratushny bid. Wow.

EDIT - Dan ($1,300) went for more than Nieuwendyk ($1,000)......wasn't expecting that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2011 03:05PM by RatushnyFan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login