Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell hockey at MSG in 2010?

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
Cornell hockey at MSG in 2010?
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2009 01:46PM

My wife just received a card from an assistant athletic director at Northeastern saying they would be playing Cornell at Madison Square Garden on Thanksgiving weekend next year. Anyone else heard this?

Re: Cornell hockey at MSG in 2010?
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 12:28AM

Separately, I've heard Cornell and BU have a third (optional?) year on their series, uncertain what year or place. Or is this common knowledge? Maybe BU year 3 morphed into Northeasgtern? Every other year at MSG seems like a nice pace. Every year, it might be tough to rally 10,000-12,000 Cornellians. Cornell-Northeastern is nice, also, but somehow "Screw NU, Harvard, too" has a different ring to it.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 12:43AM

billhoward
Separately, I've heard Cornell and BU have a third (optional?) year on their series, uncertain what year or place. Or is this common knowledge? Maybe BU year 3 morphed into Northeasgtern? Every other year at MSG seems like a nice pace. Every year, it might be tough to rally 10,000-12,000 Cornellians. Cornell-Northeastern is nice, also, but somehow "Screw NU, Harvard, too" has a different ring to it.
Schafer was quoted in the Ithaca Journal as saying then plan was Cornell-BU at MSG in 2011. [elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 02:34AM

David Harding
billhoward
Schafer was quoted in the Ithaca Journal as saying then plan was Cornell-BU at MSG in 2011. [elf.elynah.com]

Can we please play at Agganis at some point? Or Lynah again? Just sayin'.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 03:00AM

RichH
David Harding
billhoward

Can we please play at Agganis at some point? Or Lynah again? Just sayin'.
After the BU game, a friend of mine who has worked for BU Sports Info told me that we're still on for BU-Cornell at Lynah next season.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 02:43PM

My worries:

NU in an off year != BU in an off year

and

NU's fan support in an off year != BU's support in an off year

I think MSG is viable as long as we continue to sell it out.

Why don't we lure, say, Michigan to MSG? Even Red might make a trip out East for that kind of publicity, and MGoBlue fans would certainly snap up tickets.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 05:32PM

Ya. Given our demonstration of selling out the joint, I wouldn't mind too much if we were the host of an annual or semi-annual MSG game with different big-name opponents. "Who gets to play Cornell at MSG this time?" type of thing. Michigan, Denver, Minnesota, etc. Having a big-name opponent there would counteract the loss of novelty of playing a game there. Could be a nice recruitment tool, fundraiser for alumni groups, and showcase exposure for college hockey in the NY metro area.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 05:54PM

RichH
Ya. Given our demonstration of selling out the joint, I wouldn't mind too much if we were the host of an annual or semi-annual MSG game with different big-name opponents. "Who gets to play Cornell at MSG this time?" type of thing. Michigan, Denver, Minnesota, etc. Having a big-name opponent there would counteract the loss of novelty of playing a game there. Could be a nice recruitment tool, fundraiser for alumni groups, and showcase exposure for college hockey in the NY metro area.
That would be great. Some of those teams may have regular Thanksgiving commitments, but I would love Cornell to become "the MSG home team." I bet the NYC alumni would love it too. Lynah East for Bostonians; the Atlantic City ECACs for DCers, Estero for Floridians... cover all the big alumni bases.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 07:10PM

Don't forget the added benefit for recruiting. Scrivens is now the only collegiate goalie to have made two starts in MSG. Promising recruits an annual trip to Florida and a chance to play at MSG sounds pretty awesome.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 07:48PM

ebilmes
Don't forget the added benefit for recruiting.
Don't forget how it could be a good recruiting tool, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2009 07:48PM by Kyle Rose.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 08:18PM

Trotsky
RichH
That would be great. Some of those teams may have regular Thanksgiving commitments, but I would love Cornell to become "the MSG home team." I bet the NYC alumni would love it too. Lynah East for Bostonians; the Atlantic City ECACs for DCers, Estero for Floridians... cover all the big alumni bases.
It might also help in scheduling some of thes4 high end teams. You know Minnesota and Michigan (for instance) aren't going to come to Lynah. But they might be willing to come to MSG.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 10:26PM

And perhaps excite MSG about saying yes to pursuing a hockey Frozen Four.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.60.172.18.ded.snet.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 10:39AM

RichH

This is probably the only way to get a Big Ten team to play "at" or even vs. Cornell because the venue (and associated revenues) can justify a one game weekend event in a world dominated by the two game series. These schools typically don't have OOC scheduling flexibility to allocate road games to exotic eastern cities between conference play, the CHS, GLI, and other annual commitments. I haven't paid near close enough attention to see what is planned scheduling wise when the WCHA expands next season but the flexibility isn't likely to get any better. One could probably at least convince the big guys to come to MSG and forgo a home game in a year where they play in Alaska and have bonus games to burn.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 21, 2009 06:07PM

Does anyone know the financial arrangement of these games? Do the schools pay MSG upfront and split the ticket revenue amongst themselves or do they have to share a significant portion with MSG?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login