Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Has this ever happened?

Posted by margolism 
Has this ever happened?
Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2009 09:56PM

Next week, on October 24th, Cornell plays an exhibition game against the US Under 18 team, featuring incoming Cornell goalie recruit Andy Isles. If Andy starts, it would mean a Cornell team facing, arguably, their starting goalie for the following season. (He's more highly regarded than Garman.)

Has Cornell ever played against a team that had a known Cornell recruit / transfer on it?

Also, given that Andy is an Ithaca native, wondering what the cheering will be like if he is in net.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

- Mark '93

Re: Has this ever happened?
Posted by: hypotenuse (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: October 19, 2009 01:05AM

I believe so. In the late '60s/ early '70s Cornell's then freshman team would play Canadian Junior B teams. We would win by 10-15 goals but there would be one kid who would score two for the other guys. He would end up on the following year's freshman team.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 19, 2009 08:14AM

Well, Doug Berk, Geoff Roeszler, Steve Shandley, Tim Strawman and Tom Whitehead played against Cornell the year before they transferred from Penn (when the team folded). I don't know whether Cornell played the U-18 the year Chris Gartman played there, but it's certainly possible.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.194.---)
Date: October 19, 2009 09:52AM

Good question. I don't have the answer. :)

As for his reception, part of me thinks he'd be very disappointed to be treated differently from any other visiting goalie. Lynah's almost his second home and he's seen and heard it all from the stands. Additionally, it would be good training for him.

I would, however, like to see/hear some recognition from the fans. I think it'd be pretty cool.

For the record, it's Iles.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2009 11:55AM

My bad on the speling of his naem.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.194.---)
Date: October 19, 2009 01:43PM

No prolbem...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 19, 2009 01:49PM

The opposite has happened: Cornell played a Canadian college team in the early 90's with a Cornell alum player on it (IIRC, Stu Smith).

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-194-217.myvzw.com)
Date: October 19, 2009 02:28PM

Trotsky
The opposite has happened: Cornell played a Canadian college team in the early 90's with a Cornell alum player on it (IIRC, Stu Smith).

And, I vaguely recall Bob McGuinn coming back to Lynah on a Canadian Univ. team after graduating from CU.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: October 19, 2009 02:41PM

Trotsky
I remember Stewart Smith. He played for us for four years. I didn't realize that you could play four years for a U.S. university and then play for a Canadian university. How many years of college hockey did he end up playing?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 19, 2009 03:09PM

RatushnyFan
Trotsky
I remember Stewart Smith. He played for us for four years. I didn't realize that you could play four years for a U.S. university and then play for a Canadian university. How many years of college hockey did he end up playing?
Does the CIAU even have restrictions? Seems like there are guys playing for those teams in their 30's.

Edit: yes, they do. It's five years.

How many years of athletic eligibility do I have to compete in CIS athletics? Every student-athlete has five (5) years to compete in CIS athletics.

What is considered a “year of competition” in the CIS? If your name appears on a playing roster for one or more regular season games in one season then you are considered to have “participated” or “competed” for 1 season.

Does ACAC and NCAA competition count towards my five (5) years of CIS athletic eligibility? Yes. For each year of competition in either the ACAC or NCAA you are charged with a year of eligibility according to that jurisdiction’s rules. Within the ACAC or NCAA an athlete shall be charged with a year of CIS eligibility in accordance with the ACAC or NCAA definition of “competition”, “participation” and “eligibility”. Also, athletes who have used all of their ACAC or NCAA athletic eligibility are ineligible to compete in the CIS.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2009 03:18PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 19, 2009 04:18PM

pfibiger
Well, Doug Berk, Geoff Roeszler, Steve Shandley, Tim Strawman and Tom Whitehead played against Cornell the year before they transferred from Penn (when the team folded). I don't know whether Cornell played the U-18 the year Chris Gartman played there, but it's certainly possible.
Tangent: relatives of Jordan Berk and Tyler Roeszler?

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: October 19, 2009 04:24PM

Josh '99
pfibiger

Yup, fathers. Where have you been? :P

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2009 10:02PM

nr53
Josh '99
pfibiger

Yup, fathers. Where have you been? :P
Not paying close enough attention, I guess. snore

Posted by: slh10 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 20, 2009 03:20PM

Instead of good goalie - bad goalie, we could chant good goalie - future goalie

Posted by: fiddler134 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2009 01:17AM

Also instead of bad goalie... Big Red / Little Red?

Posted by: chuckie621 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2010 10:44PM

I'm just curious - whatever happened to Jordan Berk? He was on the roster for a couple of years, but wasn't last year, and not again this year

Thanks.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2010 10:48PM

chuckie621
I'm just curious - whatever happened to Jordan Berk? He was on the roster for a couple of years, but wasn't last year, and not again this year

He left to play Canadian college hockey.

[elf.elynah.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2010 10:52PM

chuckie621

Thanks.
As reported on Elf last year, he transferred to Dalhousie University. According to their web site he's playing with them again this year.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2010 07:00PM

David Harding
chuckie621

Thanks.
As reported on Elf last year, he transferred to Dalhousie University. According to their web site he's playing with them again this year.

Jacob Johnston is also playing with Dalhousie.
[athletics.dal.ca]

Posted by: chuckie621 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2010 05:48PM

Thank you all very much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login