Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Red/White

Posted by ithacat 
Red/White
Posted by: ithacat (---.mycingular.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 06:40PM

Looks like Cornell might be sporting new jerseys this season. All freshmen on the White team (4) have different jerseys and appear to have the new ECAC patch.

Re: Red/White
Posted by: WillCMJr (---.sub-174-215-31.myvzw.com)
Date: October 16, 2010 08:08PM

The jersey thing is puzzling. However, they had the 'old' style on for the team photo. Seems like that would be their officil uniform. What the frosh are wearing are identical to the girls jerseys. Maybe something cheaper they picked up for scrimmages.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2010 09:31PM

Also odd that the red jerseys (Iles and Gotovets) were the old style, though they had the new ECAC logo.

Posted by: WillCMJr (---.sub-174-215-31.myvzw.com)
Date: October 16, 2010 11:41PM

Actually they were different from the other red jerseys. The white stripe at the bottom of the jerseys was thicker and all the way to the bottom.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 11:44PM

So...did anyone note anything of interest besides the uniforms?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 07:50AM

Al DeFlorio

I've been wondering the same thing doh

Seriously, not too long ago we had detailed analysis of the games from the likes of Ari and Elie. Now we seem to get a lot of drivel. I know some of the local regulars will eventually fill-us in, but are there any students left who care enough to let the rest of us know what is actually happening on the ice?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 17, 2010 08:43AM

WillCMJr
Actually they were different from the other red jerseys. The white stripe at the bottom of the jerseys was thicker and all the way to the bottom.

Oh no, please don't tell me the team let PSP talk them into wearing those awful Big Red Wings jerseys. :-(

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 17, 2010 10:42AM

scoop85
Al DeFlorio

Seriously, not too long ago we had detailed analysis of the games from the likes of Ari and Elie. Now we seem to get a lot of drivel. I know some of the local regulars will eventually fill-us in, but are there any students left who care enough to let the rest of us know what is actually happening on the ice?

Actually, I thought it was most competitive and intense R/W game in the last 4 years. Great stuff, both from a team perspective and from some individuals -- including an amazing hat trick. However, I'll leave it for others...I'm afraid I may lapse into drivel.

PS, I can't wait for the QTR game...need to have this uniform issue sorted out.

Posted by: profudge (---.dr04.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 10:55AM

Well folks red and white game is very early. Play was of course a bit rough and wide open. - My impressions were general and not specific this early I did not take any notes or stats ... with that caveat;

Here are the roosters for the Red and White:
- starting lineups marked by '*' (as I recall)
RED                                      WHITE
------                                   ---------
2   Mike Devin        SR *               4  Keir Ross          JR *
3   Jarred Seymour    SO                 6  Nick D'Agostino    SO *
7   Brandon Birch     SO                 8  Locke Jillson      JR *
9   Tyler Roeszler    SR *              11  Vince Mihalek      SO
10  Patrick Kennedy   SR *              12  Sean Collins       JR *
16  Greg Miller       SO                15  Rodger Craig       FR
17  Jordan Kary       SR                18  Armand de Swardt   FR *
21  Erik Axell        SO                19  Sean Whitney       JR
22  Joe Devin         SR *              20  Dustin Mowrey      FR
23  Chris Moulson     SO                26  John Esposito      SO
24  Kirill Gotoverts  FR *              27  Mathieu Brisson    FR

33 Andy Iles          FR *              31  Omar Kanji         SO
                                        35  Mike Garman        JR *

I enjoyed the scrimmage - play was pretty even. Andy I. looked good and confident in net. as did the other two keepers. Dustin M. (Fr) hustled and showed good speed. John E. was impressive and seemed improved from last year! Tyler R. seemed to be the best on face-offs. Nick A., Keir R. and Locke Jillson seemed smooth and confident and impressive relatively. The Devin's were steady as usual and solid. Kirill was paired with Mike D. and he seemed confident and jumped up to join attack readily.

Power play did move the puck around quickly (which I saw as a big positive) several nice set plays were made either on PP or off of a face off. I see great potential and also a lot of rough edges and mistakes we can't afford in leugue play... As stated at beginning it's early and this was a good start.

Afraid I didn't pay much attention to scoring. Sean Collins and Esposito both scored. Erik Axell had a nice redirect goal. Locke Jillson had a nice assist and several nice heads up passes.

The shootout at the end was pretty even - I noticed most white players shooting on Andy I. seemed to try high on his right shoulder . . .
I thought Rodger Craig had one if not the most impressive shoot out moves.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: October 17, 2010 11:14AM

scoop85
are there any students left who care enough to let the rest of us know what is actually happening on the ice?

I don't think I can fill Ari or Elie's shoes, but I will be going to all the games this year and will try me best to keep you guys updated here on eLynah.

The scrimmage yesterday ended in a tie and we had a chance to see all the players square off on a penalty shootout.

The new jerseys that freshmen wore are probably temporary jerseys because I think they were wearing old ECAC patches. I definitely see the new patches, with the large "50", on the old jerseys that juniors wore and cannot imagine that NCAA rules will allow a team to use two versions of away jerseys at the same time.

In regards to goal tending, Garman and Iles both look good and Kanji got some ice time yesterday as well. From where I was standing in section B, there were some corner shots and relatively easy blocks that Garman missed, but he was pretty consistent throughout and it showed during the shootout when he blocked some really good attempts. Andy Iles looked like a serious contender as well and held up his own. He allowed some pucks through his legs and that is something Iles needs to work on, but I can see Schafer easily pulling Garman if he is having a less than mediocre night.

What was most predictive of our team's future performance is the lack of offensive intuition among our players. With the exception of #20, freshman Dustin Mowrey, none of the Red really demonstrated they knew where to position themselves during an offensive. While our player are generally slower than some of the other teams, it doesn't excuse them for hogging the puck and not getting open. There were many instances when I saw two or three players bunched up in a corner during power play and allowed easy clears that wasted a lot of time and opportunity.

In terms of defense, we are still playing the same style that has characterized our team for the past couple of years. Both teams knew where to position themselves in order to minimized the puck carrier's angle on the goal and other teammates. There's not much to comment here, but it's good to see that we will probably have another low GAA year.

Posted by: slh10 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 02:49PM

Heard through the grapevine the jerseys were a mix up and new ones are on the way. This may be because there is no equipment manager at this time, or just a simple screw up. All in all we looked good at times. Some of the freshmen look like they will fit right in and have no problem playing Cornell hockey. Can't wait for Thursday for some real game action. Does anyone know why Dan Nicholls was not dressed last night?

Posted by: WillCMJr (---.sub-97-254-204.myvzw.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 07:40PM

scoop85
Al DeFlorio

I'll do my best to find some drivel to post after every game, as you really seem to enjoy it!

I felt that Esposito looked great and will fill Blake's shoes. As a whole it was apparent to me that no one on the ice looked dominant. I think this will be a more balanced team than last year, no Rileys or Colins.

Date: October 17, 2010 08:47PM

Brandon Thomas has returned from Binghamton and will be covering Cornell again for the IJ. Here's his write up from last night:

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: sah67 (12.130.116.---)
Date: October 17, 2010 10:43PM

slh10
Does anyone know why Dan Nicholls was not dressed last night?

Ithaca Journal
Senior forward Dan Nicholls was held out of the game after suffering an injury in practice.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2010 01:54PM

Well, apparently with the departure of the equipment manager, the incorrect jerseys were ordered by the team so they won't be getting replaced this season. Enjoy...

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2010 03:20PM

CowbellGuy
Well, apparently with the departure of the equipment manager, the incorrect jerseys were ordered by the team so they won't be getting replaced this season. Enjoy...
Yuck

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 22, 2010 05:23PM

CowbellGuy
In a couple of years, we'll all look back on this and laugh.

Actually, it's pretty funny already. I mean, yeah, it's going to look wrong, but it's still funny.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2010 06:41PM

At least they're red.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: October 26, 2010 04:44PM

I will be so horrified if Cornell wins the national title and these uniforms are memorialized for all time spilling over the boards in celebration.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: October 26, 2010 04:48PM

ugarte
I will be so horrified if Cornell wins the national title and these uniforms are memorialized for all time spilling over the boards in celebration.
Horrified, but moderated with a slight bit of satisfaction at the title, right? ;-)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2010 06:12PM

ugarte
You're joking, right?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2010 09:23AM

ugarte

I hope it happens. Twice. These are the women's uniforms still, right?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 09:26AM by RichH.

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 27, 2010 10:45AM

hockey w/o checking isn't hockey.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 27, 2010 12:39PM

underskill
Why so mad at the WCHA?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 27, 2010 02:31PM

underskill
Even if that's true, so what? We therefore shouldn't root for the Cornell women's team and be happy when they succeed?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 02:31PM by Josh '99.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 27, 2010 02:55PM

Josh '99
underskill
Even if that's true, so what? We therefore shouldn't root for the Cornell women's team and be happy when they succeed?

Amen!

Date: October 27, 2010 02:58PM

oh come on...no one cares about women's hockey. Look at the crowd for the championship game in Minnesota. Go ahead and support them by all means, but let's be honest here, this isn't the UT Lady Vols.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.60.172.18.ded.snet.net)
Date: October 27, 2010 03:46PM

underskill
oh come on...no one cares about women's hockey. Look at the crowd for the championship game in Minnesota. Go ahead and support them by all means, but let's be honest here, this isn't the UT Lady Vols.

And neither is Cornell men's hockey. Your point?

Date: October 27, 2010 04:01PM

my point is that the new men's uniforms are awful and Pat Summitt looks horrible dressed as a cheerleader.

obviously.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 27, 2010 09:11PM

underskill
Of course it's hockey. It's just not as much fun to watch. (Probably not as much fun to play either, assuming you know how to take a check.)

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 27, 2010 09:13PM

KeithK
underskill
Of course it's hockey. It's just not as much fun to watch. (Probably not as much fun to play either, assuming you know how to take a check.)

A lot of the women's team players will tell you that they would prefer hitting, with some of them having grown up playing with boys.

Posted by: dag14 (---.calsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 28, 2010 05:06PM

Really good women's hockey IS fun to watch, as anyone who watched Cornell's post season games last spring could tell you. It is different from men's hockey so those used to the men's game might not appreciate the game at first. I would encourage every Cornell men's ice hockey fan who can get to a women's game to give it a try. Some of the best teams in the country play in the ECAC so you can see good competition as well as our outstanding team. Don't knock it until you've tried it! And if you have watched Cornell women's games in the past and are basing your opinion on those experiences, you really need to see this team in action because it just isn't the same. I have been a fan who attended games because I felt I needed to support the players. I still support the players, but now I look forward to the games because this team is fun to watch.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 29, 2010 10:34AM

Strongly agree with the previous poster. Watching Cornell womens hockey in the 90's was brutally painful because (1) we were bad and (2) the game was bad -- there were about a dozen high quality athletes in the Entire World. Watching last year's team was a revelation -- the quality of play had improved by roughly the difference between watching 8 and 18 years old play. It was extremely good hockey (albeit now a top notch program in a playoff environment).

I encourage everybody who may have had crappy experiences in the past to try it again -- it's greatly improved.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: October 29, 2010 11:30AM

Trotsky
-- there were about a dozen high quality athletes in the Entire World.
And we had one of them, no? Kim Ratushny.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login