Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Joe Nieuwendyk named Dallas Stars General Manager

Posted by andyw2100 
Joe Nieuwendyk named Dallas Stars General Manager
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2009 04:43PM

I just received the following e-mail from the Dallas Stars:

---
DALLAS STARS RESTRUCTURE HOCKEY MANAGEMENT STAFF
Joe Nieuwendyk Named GM; Brett Hull & Les Jackson Reassigned

Joe Nieuwendyk
Dallas Stars Owner Thomas O. Hicks announced today that he has restructured the NHL club’s hockey management staff, naming Joe Nieuwendyk as the team’s new General Manager. As part of the reorganization, Co-General Managers Brett Hull and Les Jackson have been reassigned within the organization into positions that focus on their respective strengths. Hull will serve as Executive Vice President and Alternate Governor while Les Jackson will return to his long-time role as Director of Scouting and Player Development.
“We are very excited to secure Joe Nieuwendyk as the General Manager,” said Hicks. “These moves are all about helping this club take the proverbial ‘next step.’ Joe is a leader and has been a winner in everything he has done. He is ready for this opportunity and has a bright future as an NHL General Manager. We want that future to be with the Dallas Stars.
---

Re: Joe Nieuwendyk named Dallas Stars General Manager
Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2009 05:26PM

Clearly Tom Hicks loves Cornell grads...Jon Daniels '99 is the GM of the first place Texas Rangers.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2009 05:27PM

And from TSN. - Congrats to Joe!

[tsn.ca]

Posted by: BCrespi (65.222.232.---)
Date: June 01, 2009 12:14PM

Luke 05
Clearly Tom Hicks loves Cornell grads...Jon Daniels '99 is the GM of the first place Texas Rangers.

I thought of this too. However, is Joe N. technically a grad? I believe he left after his junior year. Did he finish up at any point?

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2009 01:12PM

Good for Joe, the best skater* to ever play at Cornell.

*I want to specify all players not including goalies--i.e., Dryden. What term is used for that in hockey? There's "position players" for all non-pitcher in baseball...which doesn't make a lot of sense, since "pitcher" is most certainly a baseball position.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2009 02:15PM

djk26
Good for Joe, the best skater* to ever play at Cornell.
If you define "best" as being most successful in the NHL.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: June 01, 2009 03:51PM

"skater" is appropriate

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: June 01, 2009 04:31PM

Cactus12
"skater" is appropriate
To me, "the best skater" implies simply looking at his skating motion - c.f. the TBRW Randy MacFarlane-Riley Nash Award.

Not sure how else to say it, though.

Al D - how would you define the best non-goalie to play at Cornell, and who would be your nominee(s)?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2009 05:50PM

Robb
Al D - how would you define the best non-goalie to play at Cornell, and who would be your nominee(s)?
I'm not sure one can really name a "best" non-goalie over a nearly 50 year period. Criteria probably would include impact on the scoresheet, championships won, leadership on and off the ice, contributions in key games--all on the college level only. My nominees would be Doug Ferguson, Dan Lodboa, Lance Nethery (180 assists is Gretzy-esque; next highest? 108; but no titles), and Joe Nieuwendyk, in chronological order. Don't ask me to choose one. Pains me greatly to leave John Hughes off that list. All heart and desire.

If you look at the NHL, it's a no-brainer. I'm hoping for a second Hall-of-Famer when Joe's eligible. If you weren't following Joe and the NHL his rookie year, you can't imagine how amazing he was.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: June 01, 2009 05:56PM

Looks like a good list. Sadly, I never saw a single one of those players in Carnellian and White...

The April Fool's issue of the Sun in 1991 (my freshman year) had an article saying that Joe had been busted for cocaine, and someone had to explain to me who he was. cry

(edit - why does the normal "sad" emoticon look mad: :()
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 05:58PM by Robb.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2009 11:54PM

BCrespi
Luke 05

I thought of this too. However, is Joe N. technically a grad? I believe he left after his junior year. Did he finish up at any point?
Right: three years and away he went. The Cornell on-line directory does not associate him with any degrees. Not a grad, but still an alumnus.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2009 12:17AM

Good interview with Joe on XM radio today on "In the Slot," with Espo.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2009 12:32AM

Trotsky
Good interview with Joe on XM radio today on "In the Slot," with Espo.
So who was filling in for Espo?

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2009 09:18AM

You're right, Al, NHL success is how I was defining it.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 09:10AM

First move is an aggressive one - firing a great coach in Dave Tippett. Stars had significant injury problems last year and Turco had an off year but I thought that Tippett performed well over time. I'm sure that he has his reasons and he's forgotten more about hockey than I'll ever know. The interest in Crawford is surprising...........he seems to wear out his welcome quickly wherever he goes.

Joey brings down the ax

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 10:51AM

RatushnyFan
First move is an aggressive one - firing a great coach in Dave Tippett. Stars had significant injury problems last year and Turco had an off year but I thought that Tippett performed well over time. I'm sure that he has his reasons and he's forgotten more about hockey than I'll ever know. The interest in Crawford is surprising...........he seems to wear out his welcome quickly wherever he goes.

Joey brings down the ax

If they hire Crawford, what will replace HNIC Afterglow's "How I contributed to the demise of Marc Crawford's coaching career" interview segment? worry

Will they bring back "How I scored off Kelly Hrudey"?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login