Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - April 2009

Posted by KeithK 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alumni in the Pros - April 2009
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 01, 2009 04:39PM

So no posts yet about Riley signing a three year deal with Edmonton today. I'm shocked.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - April 2009
Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: April 01, 2009 04:47PM

KeithK
So no posts yet about Riley signing a three year deal with Edmonton today. I'm shocked.

With a $10.1 M / year deal, exceeding Alex Ovechkin. I've heard he'll donate back to the hockey program and so they'll offer free internet broadcasts next year.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2009 04:49PM

JDeafv
With a $10.1 M / year deal, exceeding Alex Ovechkin. I've heard he'll donate back to the hockey program and so they'll offer free internet broadcasts next year.

I think you need to maintain a modicum of believability in April Fools jokes. Come on, free internet broadcasts?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 05:13PM

CowbellGuy
JDeafv

I think you need to maintain a modicum of believability in April Fools jokes. Come on, free internet broadcasts?
I'd be happy if they'd just start the damn things on time.bang

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.car1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 05:24PM

JDeafv
KeithK

In HD!

Date: April 01, 2009 05:36PM

I was more commenting on the lack of April Fool's jokes rather than making one. A meta-April Fool's joke maybe.

Plus, this way I get an April Alumni thread going without having to actually find some, you know, news about Alumni.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2009 08:50PM

Article on Nieuwendyk's work in Toronto

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: April 06, 2009 03:11AM

TheStar
The learning process ideally begins with scouting missions, but Nieuwendyk must also personally handle assignments like scouting and signing the annual college crop

Burke
"I hope this is the last year we're a destination for the college player," Burke said. "Tyler's being polite and he's here because of the opportunity. But I'm not (being polite) – we hope we're not the destination of choice for college players."

So (part of) Joe's job is to recruit college players to a team that doesn't want them? Sounds like a losing proposition to me. Ugh.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2009 03:12AM by Robb.

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.3.---)
Date: April 06, 2009 03:29AM

Robb
Burke
"I hope this is the last year we're a destination for the college player," Burke said. "Tyler's being polite and he's here because of the opportunity. But I'm not (being polite) – we hope we're not the destination of choice for college players."

So (part of) Joe's job is to recruit college players to a team that doesn't want them? Sounds like a losing proposition to me. Ugh.

Brian Burke played college hockey, and he has a lot of respect for the college game. His quip meant was that I hopes that in the future college free agents won't sign with the Maple Leafs because ice time will not be available. Good NHL teams tend to have a tougher time signing the most-sought-after NCAA free agents because their organizational depth provide fewer opportunities for advancement. That's why Toronto, but not San Jose, is believed to be on Matt Gilroy's short list.

Date: April 07, 2009 09:30AM

Iggy called back up a day or two ago. Haven't seen that he's been sent down since.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2009 10:23AM

The Canadians D got hit by the injury bug, thus Ryan O'Byrne got to play. Unfortunately, he spent 1/10th of the game in the sin bin. Not the best way to lobby for PT in the playoffs.

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: April 07, 2009 01:23PM

With 2 of 3 top D out injured; O'Byrne will play more this last week! Good luck - Ryan.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: April 07, 2009 01:49PM

O'Byrne also got a shout-out on the NHL's "top goals of the season" video... though it wasn't the kind of shout-out you'd want.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2009 01:52PM by ftyuv.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2009 04:11PM

Al DeFlorio
Iggy called back up a day or two ago. Haven't seen that he's been sent down since.

Word is that it's for the duration - not that that's very long.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: April 07, 2009 04:59PM

ftyuv
O'Byrne also got a shout-out on the NHL's "top goals of the season" video... though it wasn't the kind of shout-out you'd want.

No worries, Ovechkin will (or at least should) win.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 08:32AM

Mike Kennedy has signed an ATO with the Albany River Rats and has played in his first game:

[stats.theahl.com]

[www.troyrecord.com]

Date: April 09, 2009 09:24AM

pfibiger
Mike Kennedy has signed an ATO with the Albany River Rats and has played in his first game:
After his junior season at Cornell?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: April 09, 2009 12:03PM

Al DeFlorio
pfibiger
What makes you think he's a junior? nut

Edit: Ah, that came from the article; I misunderstood, Al. I was going to say, "Time flies." ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2009 12:04PM by Kyle Rose.

Date: April 09, 2009 02:00PM

Kyle Rose
Al DeFlorio
pfibiger
What makes you think he's a junior? nut

Edit: Ah, that came from the article; I misunderstood, Al. I was going to say, "Time flies." ;-)
Yes, it does. His game-winner against Harvard as a sophomore (I think that's the right year.) is still fresh in my memory.

If you think "time flies" now, Kyle, wait till you're 65?worry

Posted by: madAgaskar07 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 08:34PM

April 9: Boston vs. Montreal means Bitz vs. O'Byrne in what's looking like WWE on Ice. Cornell alumni have 16 PIM before halftime. (Most of that is Ryan O'Byrne's double minor and game misconduct for bumping Shawn Thornton during a stoppage, after which he was beaten down by Thornton.) NESN commentator is saying nice things about Byron Bitz and calling Ryan O'Byrne a dirty goon (no argument here) almost in the same sentence - I'm still waiting for him to make the connection.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 10, 2009 12:32PM

madAgaskar07
April 9: Boston vs. Montreal means Bitz vs. O'Byrne in what's looking like WWE on Ice. Cornell alumni have 16 PIM before halftime. (Most of that is Ryan O'Byrne's double minor and game misconduct for bumping Shawn Thornton during a stoppage, after which he was beaten down by Thornton.) NESN commentator is saying nice things about Byron Bitz and calling Ryan O'Byrne a dirty goon (no argument here) almost in the same sentence - I'm still waiting for him to make the connection.

Does NESN even know that there are college hockey teams west of Hamden?smashfreak

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 10, 2009 02:40PM

Pretty poor form from O'Byrne again in a Bruins/Habs matchup. Last time he went head hunting on Chuck Kobasew during the final seconds of a Boston win, now he's throwing his shoulder into guys during timeouts and then turtling when they try to get in his face about it.

Wait what am I saying, he fits in perfectly with the rest of the Canadiens. wank

Date: April 10, 2009 02:45PM

Awesome. Took someone less than an hour to find the new smiley.

Date: April 10, 2009 02:46PM

CowbellGuy
Awesome. Took someone less than an hour to find the new smiley.

I am a fan, and it fit perfectly for the emotions I was trying to convey. :-D

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: April 10, 2009 02:54PM

cheer cheer

Cheerleaders for a hockey discussion board? wtf

Date: April 10, 2009 03:08PM

Rita
cheer cheer

Hmm, I don't know. cheer was about all O'Byrne was doing during the second period last night thanks to his roughing and misconduct.

It was a great hockey game too. Plenty of good ol fashioned dislike and 9 goals. Bitz got a couple looks at the net, but his play of the game was a green light check on one of MTL's defenders who was having a little trouble with the puck between his skates behind the net.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: April 10, 2009 03:27PM

oceanst41
Rita
cheer cheer

Hmm, I don't know. cheer was about all O'Byrne was doing during the second period last night thanks to his roughing and misconduct.

It was a great hockey game too. Plenty of good ol fashioned dislike and 9 goals. Bitz got a couple looks at the net, but his play of the game was a green light check on one of MTL's defenders who was having a little trouble with the puck between his skates behind the net.

Well, he should have been feeling shame! (I can't find an appropriate emoticon for that) And if these stupid trips to the sin bin continue, these will be quite appropriate:
twak, smashfreak
and his teammates will be saying: stupid

Date: April 10, 2009 04:51PM

Rita
cheer cheer

Seminoff- CHL Brahmas Tryout
Posted by: L-J (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2009 05:42PM

On Brahmas website today.

Date: April 12, 2009 05:59PM

Iggy not in the lineup for yesterday's Flyers-Isles game.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 12, 2009 07:29PM

Bitz earned Cornell a shout-out for his effort today. But it's a game that didn't matter so much that most of the local venues didn't even play it. NESN and, I hear, NESN+ both ignored it. He's played on the PK.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 10:52PM

ftyuv
Bitz earned Cornell a shout-out for his effort today. But it's a game that didn't matter so much that most of the local venues didn't even play it. NESN and, I hear, NESN+ both ignored it. He's played on the PK.

NESN plays all Bruins games on NESN+ channels when there is a conflict with the Sox. The Sox broadcast even listed the channel numbers for all of the different cable and dish companies throughout the baseball game. Their advertising also tells fans not to worry about missing any games due to conflicts this time of year.

Bitz was playing on the 4 vs. 4 towards the end of the game.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 12, 2009 11:23PM

cth95
ftyuv

NESN plays all Bruins games on NESN+ channels when there is a conflict with the Sox. The Sox broadcast even listed the channel numbers for all of the different cable and dish companies throughout the baseball game. Their advertising also tells fans not to worry about missing any games due to conflicts this time of year.

Bitz was playing on the 4 vs. 4 towards the end of the game.

I don't get NESN+ that I know of, but several people on the boston.com blog said their NESN+ channels weren't working for whatever reason.

Posted by: sah67 (128.164.182.---)
Date: April 13, 2009 03:15PM

Michael Kennedy scored his first professional goal for Albany in their 3-2 win over Binghamton on Sunday, which also marked Albany's last game of the season.

Mike also earned himself his first professional fighting major and a game misconduct during a brawl that broke out towards the end.

Posted by: marty (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2009 06:19PM

Al DeFlorio
pfibiger

This is The Record. When my son was a senior in high school he was an "intern" for all of two days before he got his own byline. We used to receive raves when he was on staff. The near bankrupt Journal Register Company is really near death as far as any independant observer can conclude.

Date: April 18, 2009 08:02PM

Darren Eliot will be broadcasting (edit: for Versus) tonight's Boston/Montreal game two, sadly Bitz will be a healthy scratch.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2009 08:05PM by oceanst41.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: April 19, 2009 06:14AM

Well Lucic was handed out a match penalty near the end of the Bruins' game two. Per league rules, that's a suspension pending review. That would mean Bitz would likely get the call in game three in Montreal, especially now that Hunwick had his spleen removed yesterday.

Now I don't feel the suspension should hold up after review. Lucic himself had just been elbowed/high sticked and was reacting to Lapierre coming at him. He hit him with his top hand glove, but the stick was up. However in their infinite wisdom, I think the NHL will use this to set an example in this series, despite what they've allowed Montreal to get away with already.

My guess would be Wheeler joins Krejci and Ryder and Bitz steps in to reunite with Thornton and Yelle - a pretty dominating 4th line for a large part of the season.

Date: April 19, 2009 08:05PM

Bitz is indeed penciled in the B's line-up for Monday night's game. Shuffling of the lines appears to be as oceanst41 predicted.

Date: April 20, 2009 05:35AM

Rita
Bitz is indeed penciled in the B's line-up for Monday night's game. Shuffling of the lines appears to be as oceanst41 predicted.

More from the Boston Globe's Bruins blog.

Bruins blog

Claude Julien
"He's a big guy who's been strong along the walls," Claude Julien said of Bitz this morning. "He's very reliable. Probably one of our most reliable along the wall in our own end at getting pucks out or protecting it. He's had some scoring opportunities. He's a young guy that we see a bright future in. Right now, it's a little bit of experience that he might get a chance to get, depending on what happens [with Lucic]. He's a guy that once we called him up, he never went back, because he's another one of those guys that'd said, 'I think I belong here and I'm going to show you guys.' He forced our hand."

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 09:17AM

The Lucic suspension could be a blessing in disguise. He's the loose cannon of the team, and I'm betting that with Montreal behind 0-2 and finally playing one at home, emotions are going to be high. I could see that game ending up with Lucic with a broken hand again.

Date: April 20, 2009 09:32AM

ftyuv
The Lucic suspension could be a blessing in disguise. He's the loose cannon of the team, and I'm betting that with Montreal behind 0-2 and finally playing one at home, emotions are going to be high. I could see that game ending up with Lucic with a broken hand again.

I agree, and of course we get to see Bitz in the lineup. rock

I am hoping upon hope that he finds the back of the net tonight. It worked for Sheriff Shane Hnidy when he replaced Hunwick, let's get Bitz his cookie too!

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 09:37AM

oceanst41
ftyuv

I am hoping upon hope that he finds the back of the net tonight. It worked for Sheriff Shane Hnidy when he replaced Hunwick, let's get Bitz his cookie too!

rock is right! rockrockrock

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2009 12:28PM

oceanst41
ftyuv

Bitz got a little bit over a minute of time on Bob McKenzie's segment on NHL Live (NHL Network, 12-2) at around 12:25. If anyone is interested, they repeat it from 5-7. McKenzie mentioned Cornell and had some nice things to say.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 12:40PM

Ronald '09
oceanst41
ftyuv

Bitz got a little bit over a minute of time on Bob McKenzie's segment on NHL Live (NHL Network, 12-2) at around 12:25. If anyone is interested, they repeat it from 5-7. McKenzie mentioned Cornell and had some nice things to say.
For those who aren't aware, McKenzie has a son who plays for SLU(t), occasionally posts on USCHO, and generally has a lot of good things to say about NCAA hockey.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 08:13PM

Ronald '09
oceanst41
ftyuv

Seems like O'B is playing for Montreal. When was the last time there were two alums in a Stanley Cup game?

Bitz gets his first playoff point
Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2009 08:25PM

Not watching the game, but noticed on the boxscore that Bitz scored an assist in the second period on Thorton's goal.

Re: Bitz gets his first playoff point
Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 08:32PM

CUontheslopes
Not watching the game, but noticed on the boxscore that Bitz scored an assist in the second period on Thorton's goal.

And it was some nice work by Byron that set up the goal: he fought for the puck along the boards, dug it out, and slid it to Thornton who was wide open in the slot.

Date: April 20, 2009 09:21PM

sah67
CUontheslopes

And it was some nice work by Byron that set up the goal: he fought for the puck along the boards, dug it out, and slid it to Thornton who was wide open in the slot.
And then got to talk about it in the between-periods NESN interview.

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 09:40PM

Bruins win 4-2, and Bitz's 4th line came up big for the Bs, getting rewarded with lots of ice time for their efforts. Byron ended up with 13:02 of even-strength playing time, which was more than what several of the big guns (Kessel, Bergeron, Ryder, Kobasew) got.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2009 10:34PM by sah67.

Date: April 20, 2009 10:07PM

I hope Bitz's performance tonight will be enough to keep him in the line-up for game 4. Great effort, gets a point and I thought that tripping call was a bit cheesy (looked to me like he touched the puck before the stick touched the Canadian's skate).

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 11:25PM

Rita
I thought that tripping call was a bit cheesy (looked to me like he touched the puck before the stick touched the Canadian's skate).
Is that still the rule? Maybe it was a college game where the announcers said that it no longer mattered whether you got to the puck first - a trip is a trip. Personally I like the "puck first and you're clear" rule but...

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.3.---)
Date: April 21, 2009 01:46AM

KeithK
Rita
I thought that tripping call was a bit cheesy (looked to me like he touched the puck before the stick touched the Canadian's skate).
Is that still the rule? Maybe it was a college game where the announcers said that it no longer mattered whether you got to the puck first - a trip is a trip. Personally I like the "puck first and you're clear" rule but...
The rule in the NHL is different from the one in the NCAA. In the NHL, there shouldn't be a penalty if the player gets the puck before the player on his sweep check. In the NCAA, it's immaterial whether the defending player touched the puck.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 06:39AM

cbuckser
The rule in the NHL is different from the one in the NCAA. In the NHL, there shouldn't be a penalty if the player gets the puck before the player on his sweep check. In the NCAA, it's immaterial whether the defending player touched the puck.

Ah, that explains it. I turned into some of the Rangers game last night, and Ovechkin made a spectacular defensive play at one point to knock the puck away from a Ranger with a breakaway.

No penalty was called and we had that very discussion. I couldn't remember if the rule was changed or if it was an NCAA/NHL difference. Thanks for the clarification :)

Date: April 21, 2009 09:29AM

Rita
I hope Bitz's performance tonight will be enough to keep him in the line-up for game 4. Great effort, gets a point and I thought that tripping call was a bit cheesy (looked to me like he touched the puck before the stick touched the Canadian's skate).
I doubt he'll be in on Wednesday. He had a great game, but he was only out because Lucic had a one-game suspension. Bitz is the B's first reserve, but he's still the reserve.

Edit: Did anyone else think that Bitz's feed for the assist looked a lot like the Minnesota goal in 2005? It wasn't completely identical, but it was close enough to remind me.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 10:15AM by ftyuv.

Date: April 21, 2009 10:27AM

ftyuv
Rita
I doubt he'll be in on Wednesday. He had a great game, but he was only out because Lucic had a one-game suspension. Bitz is the B's first reserve, but he's still the reserve.

Edit: Did anyone else think that Bitz's feed for the assist looked a lot like the Minnesota goal in 2005? It wasn't completely identical, but it was close enough to remind me.

Edit 2: A couple nice mentions in the post-games on NESN. Thornton gave credit to his goal to Bitz. Tim Thomas had a funny response to a reporter who asked about "Byron"... he looked really confused and said "Who?" and when the reporter clarified "Bitz," Thomas chuckled and said, "Bitzy, we call him Bitzy."

Re: Bitz gets his first playoff point - Boston Globe article
Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 21, 2009 12:38PM

Here's an article from today's Globe about Bitz and his role in last night's game:

[www.boston.com]

He thinks they made the right call on the penalty, though I have to say, it looked awfully close on the replays as to whether he got the puck or the skates first.

Date: April 21, 2009 12:59PM

This is probably just the homer in me talking, but I felt that the refs were generally pretty hard on us. On Kobasew's goaltender interference penalty, for instance, it looked to me like he got pushed in, and I thought Bergy's roughing minor was weak considering he was obviously trying to get away from the guy.

On the other hand... here we are with one of our D out for the playoffs, a huge checker with a suspension, and a list of penalties that wasn't in our favor, and we still came out strong. I think that says a lot for the team's depth, of which Bitz is a huge part.

(Like how I tied pro-Bruins claptrap into the "almuni in the pros" theme at the very end?)

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 21, 2009 01:51PM

Hehe. "Us." "We." "Our."

After reading the first sentence, I thought it was a review of the past year of ECAC officiating. Luckily, your postscript note eliminated the need for me to consult the NHL-fan thread to find out who the hell you were talking about.

ftyuv
This is probably just the homer in me talking, but I felt that the refs were generally pretty hard on us. On Kobasew's goaltender interference penalty, for instance, it looked to me like he got pushed in, and I thought Bergy's roughing minor was weak considering he was obviously trying to get away from the guy.

On the other hand... here we are with one of our D out for the playoffs, a huge checker with a suspension, and a list of penalties that wasn't in our favor, and we still came out strong. I think that says a lot for the team's depth, of which Bitz is a huge part.

(Like how I tied pro-Bruins claptrap into the "almuni in the pros" theme at the very end?)

Date: April 21, 2009 01:56PM

RichH
Hehe. "Us." "We." "Our."

After reading the first sentence, I thought it was a review of the past year of ECAC officiating. Luckily, your postscript note eliminated the need for me to consult the NHL-fan thread to find out who the hell you were talking about.

ftyuv

Touche, and sorry for the confusion. :-)

Until Cornell gets its act together and offers consistent (and quality) video feeds of its games, I'm sorry to say, my "us" is only peripherally CU. Extremely peripherally. I like all y'all and that's why I continue to post here, but I just can't get all that excited about a team I can't watch.

Date: April 21, 2009 02:05PM

ftyuv
Until Cornell gets its act together and offers consistent (and quality) video feeds of its games, I'm sorry to say, my "us" is only peripherally CU. Extremely peripherally. I like all y'all and that's why I continue to post here, but I just can't get all that excited about a team I can't watch.
BLASPHEMY!!! You will be cast out into hockey hell!!! (Maybe forced to attend every game at Bright when Cornell isn't there?)

I guess I understand your motivation but it's kind of sad that your connection to Cornell hockey is video dependant. Spoiled kids!

Date: April 21, 2009 02:18PM

KeithK
ftyuv
BLASPHEMY!!! You will be cast out into hockey hell!!! (Maybe forced to attend every game at Bright when Cornell isn't there?)

I guess I understand your motivation but it's kind of sad that your connection to Cornell hockey is video dependant. Spoiled kids!
Well, I'm horrible at visualizing plays when I listen on the radio, and a hockey team isn't as fun to follow when you take away the hockey.

Date: April 21, 2009 02:25PM

ftyuv
Well, I'm horrible at visualizing plays when I listen on the radio, and a hockey team isn't as fun to follow when you take away the hockey.
So we need to get you some visualization exercises!

Date: April 21, 2009 02:41PM

KeithK
He's not alone. With the exception of the local Harvard games, I virtually ignored Cornell hockey from 1999 through 2002, and the lack of video was a large part of it. I missed most of the careers of some of our best players, which saddens me... but that's life.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 06:24PM

Expectation = reality. For those who grew up in an era when college hockey wasn't ever available on video, and rarely on audio outside the direct broadcast area, even scratchy audio over the net is a pleasure.

The "life" of hockey can be captured by a good PBP call. Grady was the best, but Jason's getting better with experience (even if he still can't pronounce "Carnelian" ;-) ).

Date: April 21, 2009 06:48PM

From time to time I'll leave the Sharks radio broadcast on rather than turning on the tube. Sometimes I just like to have my eyes free for other tasks but if the PBP guy is good you can still picture the game pretty well. Not quite as clearly as baseball perhaps but it's still a good experience.

Posted by: redice (---.154.222.3.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 07:34PM

Trotsky
The "life" of hockey can be captured by a good PBP call. Grady was the best, but Jason's getting better with experience (even if he still can't pronounce "Carnelian" ;-) ).

Correction: Roy Ives was the best. I have been listening to the home games (& attending them) for many years. I was one of the first people to take a radio into Lynah. So, I've had a lot of opportunity to compare the radio PBP to what I'm seeing on the ice.

When Roy Ives said that the puck was in a certain place on the ice and/or in the possession of a certain player..... That's exactly what I was seeing on the ice at that time. No delays, no fudging.

Grady is certainly pretty good and Jason is holding his own, as well. But, Roy Ives was in a class of his own. Yes, when listening to Roy's calling of the game, you could sit there & visualize the action on the ice (for road games). In addition to his accuracy, there was a flow to the game when listening to him.

I'm sorry the younger folks on here didn't get much of a chance to listen to his work. The only recording of which I'm aware is the March 6, 1979 broadcast.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2009 09:33PM

Trotsky
Expectation = reality. For those who grew up in an era when college hockey wasn't ever available on video, and rarely on audio outside the direct broadcast area, even scratchy audio over the net is a pleasure.

Yes, indeed. Those of us who were pre video and even pre internet, if you can imagine, had to do a lot to catch a game. For the 1968 NCAAs I was in Boston. Obviously, no local broadcast there so we had our "Viewing Party" at a friends house where we wired a phone up to a radio. I called a friend in Ithaca who put his phone by his radio and in Boston we listened to the play by play. At that time long distance was by the minute so we disconnected and timed our call back for the next period. Hell, maybe I can say we invented the internet:-D or at least peer-to-peer.

And I do have to agree that Roy Ives was the best play by play broadcaster that I've heard for CU hockey.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2009 10:24PM

Jim Hyla
Those of us who were pre video and even pre internet, if you can imagine, had to do a lot to catch a game. For the 1968 NCAAs I was in Boston. Obviously, no local broadcast there so we had our "Viewing Party" at a friends house where we wired a phone up to a radio. I called a friend in Ithaca who put his phone by his radio and in Boston we listened to the play by play. At that time long distance was by the minute so we disconnected and timed our call back for the next period. Hell, maybe I can say we invented the internet:-D or at least peer-to-peer..

Or maybe Teamline...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 21, 2009 10:41PM

Jim Hyla
Obviously, no local broadcast there so we had our "Viewing Party" at a friends house where we wired a phone up to a radio. I called a friend in Ithaca who put his phone by his radio and in Boston we listened to the play by play. At that time long distance was by the minute so we disconnected and timed our call back for the next period.

Luxury!! When I was young, we had to watch for play-by-play smoke signals, and relayed the information by throwing rocks at the walls of the cave next door in Morse code patterns - and we liked it!!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2009 10:42PM

For those of us who got to compare Roy with his direct predecessors on WHCU, Jay Levine and Sam Woodside along with some of the great radio voices of the NHL in days gone by, Roy was/is in a very elite class. He and his color guys (Tom Joseph in particular) created an incredibly accurate "verbal picture" of what was happening on the ice. A rare talent. Probably, the single greatest example of that talent was his call of missed open net and then game tying goal by Lance Nethery in the 1979 Providence - Cornell game. His call completely matched the video that was shot. I still get "goose bumps" thinking about that game and that play.

Roy once said that he learned "hockey announcing" from listening to Foster Hewitt, the long-time radio voice of Hockey Night in Canada while growing up in western NY. For many years, radio was the only live coverage of most hockey games.

I agree that our current crop of Cornell radio announcers do a reasonably credible job and are quite good at calling the game for the home team,but not being blatant "homers". In watching a number of the NHL playoff games recently, there are some announcer pairs who are painful to listen to in that regard!!! And there are certainly many radio voices in college hockey who are the same!!!

Larry 72

Posted by: redice (---.154.222.3.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 10:57PM

Yes, while recent CU Hockey announcers are not in Roy Ives' class, we are still lucky to have them.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 11:08PM

ftyuv
KeithK
ftyuv

Oh, they still call the games at Bright when Cornell isn't there, "hockey." snore

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 11:21PM

Murray v Parros (Princeton) in the final minute of the first period. Apparently they go all the way back to HS.

I'd call it a draw.

Re: Doug Murray
Posted by: Cowboy (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 11:27PM

Doug(las) Murray has been all over the ice in the first period of the Sharks-Ducks game. Two major hits and a fight with George Parros (Anaheim's enforcer, Princeton '03).

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 12:04AM

Vesce had the game tying and game winning goals (in OT) for Worchester in their playoff series against Hartford, now down 2 games to 1.

Date: April 22, 2009 08:09AM

Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Obviously, no local broadcast there so we had our "Viewing Party" at a friends house where we wired a phone up to a radio. I called a friend in Ithaca who put his phone by his radio and in Boston we listened to the play by play. At that time long distance was by the minute so we disconnected and timed our call back for the next period.

Luxury!! When I was young, we had to watch for play-by-play smoke signals, and relayed the information by throwing rocks at the walls of the cave next door in Morse code patterns - and we liked it!!

You had a cave!?! Well, aren't we posh. We threw the rocks at each other in a snow-covered field!

Date: April 22, 2009 09:38AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Beeeej
Jim Hyla

You had a cave!?! Well, aren't we posh. We threw the rocks at each other in a snow-covered field!
You had snow?! And a field?!? You lucky sonofabitch! We missed the natural beauty of the outside world as the sirens of online conveniences and instant messaging kept us indoors and alone all day!

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: April 22, 2009 11:18AM

French Rage
Vesce had the game tying and game winning goals (in OT) for Worchester in their playoff series against Hartford, now down 2 games to 1.

Just cause MSG can't spell doesn't mean you shouldn't learn ;)

Re: Doug Murray
Posted by: WillR (---.netvigator.com)
Date: April 22, 2009 12:42PM

The link for highlights.

The fight is at after the hit at the 2.05 minute mark, but Murray is in the highlight reel quite a few times.

SJS game highlights

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: April 22, 2009 01:15PM

DeltaOne81
French Rage

I pronounced it right though.

Date: April 22, 2009 06:29PM

Claude Julien's thinking on playing Bitz tonight (in the Boston Globe): [www.boston.com]

Date: April 22, 2009 07:30PM

Al DeFlorio
Claude Julien's thinking on playing Bitz tonight (in the Boston Globe): [www.boston.com]

Unfortunately, Bitz is the healthy scratch tonight. OB gets his name on tonight's score sheet, 2 minutes for holding.

Date: April 22, 2009 07:51PM

Rita
Al DeFlorio

Unfortunately, Bitz is the healthy scratch tonight. OB gets his name on tonight's score sheet, 2 minutes for holding.
Bitz seems likely to get a lot of playing time next year. O'Byrne not so much.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2009 09:54PM

If the Sharks win, Murray gets his name on the cup. If the B's win, Bitz only gets his name engraved if he appears in a Finals game if I recall cup naming rules correctly.

Date: April 22, 2009 10:44PM

Luke 05
If the Sharks win, Murray gets his name on the cup. If the B's win, Bitz only gets his name engraved if he appears in a Finals game if I recall cup naming rules correctly.

Why's that?

- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 11:52PM

Beeeej
Luke 05

Why's that?
[www.nhl.com]

To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: April 23, 2009 09:27AM

Trotsky
Murray v Parros (Princeton) in the final minute of the first period. Apparently they go all the way back to HS.

I'd call it a draw.

I got a chuckle out of the announcer, after noting that Murray was from Cornell and Parros from Princeton, exclaiming, "It's an Ivy League dust-up!"

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2009 09:27AM

French Rage
DeltaOne81
French Rage

There is no spelling that looks like it can be pronounced right. Local pronunciation may be more like WUSS-tah. Al DeFlorio should be the final arbiter, being from the Bay State. Thank goodness the team doens't train in Athol.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: April 23, 2009 11:19AM

billhoward
French Rage
DeltaOne81
French Rage

There is no spelling that looks like it can be pronounced right. Local pronunciation may be more like WUSS-tah. Al DeFlorio should be the final arbiter, being from the Bay State. Thank goodness the team doens't train in Athol.

The phonetic pronunciation would be "wuss-tah", or, spelled a bit more elegantly 'Wooster'. Regardless of pronunciation, there still ain't no 'h' in the spelling.

P.S. I may not have lived there are long as Al, but I lived a lot closer, 3 towns away.

P.P.S. Don't get me started on Leominster, Peabody, Haverhill, Billerica, or Leicester.

Date: April 23, 2009 11:25AM

DeltaOne81
billhoward
French Rage
DeltaOne81
French Rage

The phonetic pronunciation would be "wuss-tah", or, spelled a bit more elegantly 'Wooster'. Regardless of pronunciation, there still ain't no 'h' in the spelling.

P.S. I may not have lived there are long as Al, but I lived a lot closer, 3 towns away.

P.P.S. Don't get me started on Leominster, Peabody, Haverhill, Billerica, or Leicester.

You forgot Concord.

And Olde Newtowne, which is pronounced "kame-bridge."

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2009 11:39AM

KeithK
Beeeej
Luke 05

Why's that?
[www.nhl.com]

To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.

Bitz unfortunately falls just short. He played in 35 regular season game, plus one playoff game so far.

Hopefully if the Bs make it that far, Julien will get him in a Cup game. Bitz has certainly shown that the line up does not suffer much when he's out there.

Posted by: tretiak (---.state.gov)
Date: April 23, 2009 11:49AM

i like how they casually ignore the most infamous place the cup has gone...a nyc strip club. mark messier is an absolute dinkbag

Date: April 23, 2009 12:58PM

JasonN95
I got a chuckle out of the announcer, after noting that Murray was from Cornell and Parros from Princeton, exclaiming, "It's an Ivy League dust-up!"
It came to fisticuffs?

Posted by: BCrespi (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2009 01:03PM

tretiak
i like how they casually ignore the most infamous place the cup has gone...a nyc strip club. mark messier is an absolute dinkbag

More infamous than Dunbars? (note: I love Dunbars)

I have to think it's been through worse than hanging out at a strip club.

Date: April 23, 2009 01:13PM

BCrespi
tretiak

I suspect ESPN used a mock-up of the Cup rather than the real thing, but there was a very funny "This Is Sportscenter" ad several years back with Joe Nieuwendyk using the Cup as a Jello mold.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 23, 2009 02:37PM

BCrespi
tretiak

Whoa whoa whoa. "dinkbag?" You best watch your salacious tongue, there tretiak. This forum simply WILL NOT TOLERATE your filthy language.

uh, yeah. A NYC stripclub is probably one of the more tepid places it's been or things that have been done to it.

Posted by: tretiak (---.state.gov)
Date: April 23, 2009 02:43PM

[www.post-gazette.com]

The official story is that the bodyguards were hired to stay with the cup at all times to prevent further damage. The conspiracy theory is that the NHL was so embarassed by Messier taking it to Scores they hired permanent bodyguards to prevent future negative publicity for the cup and NHL. While we all love Dunbars, Scores is slightly more notorious than a college bar.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2009 02:58PM

The Big Show on WEEI in Boston has a caller and a couple hosts raving about Bitz on the 4th line. The idea being that Bitz is a better "fit" on the 4th line, and actually makes that line better. Basically Bitz is adding more physicality while Wheeler's skill is being wasted a bit on the 4th line.

The caller asked if Bitz might get the start over Wheeler in the next round, and the hosts concluded (correctly I feel) that Wheeler's importance to the PK unit will give him the edge.

Date: April 23, 2009 03:11PM

Maybe the Bruins can put Bitz in goalie pads and have him play out the last couple minutes of the third period of the last game if we're ahead?

Date: April 23, 2009 04:17PM

ftyuv
Maybe the Bruins can put Bitz in goalie pads and have him play out the last couple minutes of the third period of the last game if we're ahead?
Put him in goalie pads and then pull the old "swap the goalies twice to get a time out" play. Preferrably when there's a faceoff at the other end.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login