Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Goalie Recruit For This Fall (Omar Kanji)

Posted by ebilmes 
Goalie Recruit For This Fall (Omar Kanji)
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2009 12:18AM

Reported by BRP a few days ago. Kanji probably won't see any ice time, since he'll be behind Scrivens and Garman.

Re: Goalie Recruit For This Fall (Omar Kanji)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 01:17AM

Nice save, on the set of TX-1138.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.med.upenn.edu)
Date: April 06, 2009 02:38AM

This kid looks pretty good. Was his recruitment unexpected?

What does the rest of the freshman class for 2009-2010 look like? Can someone point me to the correct thread?

Thank you.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: April 06, 2009 02:58AM

Highlights from his

58-save shutout win, posted by one OKanji786. UCC won 3-0 despite being outshot 58-13 (22-2 after 1 period, it looked like - yikes.)

Definitely looks solid - good positioning, and good reflexes on some tough second saves.

Welcome to the Big Red!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2009 03:07AM by Robb.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2009 08:05AM

ebilmes
Reported by BRP a few days ago. Kanji probably won't see any ice time, since he'll be behind Scrivens and Garman.

We've heard that before.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: May 06, 2009 02:03PM

Toronto Star May 5 article:
[www.thestar.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: May 06, 2009 04:08PM

jkahn
[www.thestar.com]
For what it's worth in juding the level of competition: Kanji is the only player on this all-star team who will be on an NCAA roster next year. One player will be playing Junior A, three will be at Canadian colleges, and one is taking a lacrosse scholarship at Jacksonville University (which next spring will become the first school in Florida to offer a D-I men's lax program).

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2009 09:27PM

Two thoughts:

1) This kid is a lot smarter and/or hits the books a lot harder than the rest of the 'all-stars' listed. Good for him.

2) If I can infer as much from his surname, does anybody else find it refreshing that there will be a little bit more diversity in the program?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2009 09:54PM

mnagowski
If I can infer as much from his surname, does anybody else find it refreshing that there will be a little bit more diversity in the program?

So he's Jewish?

If he can stop the puck, I don't care if the guy's the bacterium Yersinia pestis.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: May 06, 2009 11:34PM

mnagowski
2) If I can infer as much from his surname, does anybody else find it refreshing that there will be a little bit more diversity in the program?
High level athletics really is about as close to meritocracy as you'll find in America. As long as the kid is wearing carnelian and white I don't care in the least what race or color he is.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 07, 2009 12:22AM

Josh '99
jkahn
[www.thestar.com]
For what it's worth in juding the level of competition: Kanji is the only player on this all-star team who will be on an NCAA roster next year. One player will be playing Junior A, three will be at Canadian colleges, and one is taking a lacrosse scholarship at Jacksonville University (which next spring will become the first school in Florida to offer a D-I men's lax program).

I'm not sure what your point is. If it's to say the quality of the all-star team is not that strong, let me point out that some pretty good Cornell goalies have come from the Greater Toronto area.

Date: May 07, 2009 12:24AM

Trotsky
mnagowski
If I can infer as much from his surname, does anybody else find it refreshing that there will be a little bit more diversity in the program?

So he's Jewish?

His name ends with a vowel. He must be Italian.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: May 07, 2009 04:05AM

Swampy
Trotsky
mnagowski

So he's Jewish?

But it's an "i" instead of an "o," so he could be Polish...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 07, 2009 07:36AM

Robb
Swampy
Trotsky
mnagowski

So he's Jewish?

But it's an "i" instead of an "o," so he could be Polish...

You're on to something. 40% of his last name is J's and K's.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2009 09:06AM

Swampy
Josh '99
jkahn
[www.thestar.com]

I'm not sure what your point is. If it's to say the quality of the all-star team is not that strong, let me point out that some pretty good Cornell goalies have come from the Greater Toronto area.
Obviously there is plenty of hockey talent coming out of Toronto and the surrounding area, but it doesn't mean the top-level talent is playing in that high school league. (If these are really the six best hockey players coming out of Greater Toronto this year, is one of them really going to play college lacrosse?) I'm not able to find much on Brian Cropper's background but Dryden played two seasons in juniors before coming to Cornell.

Posted by: tretiak (---.state.gov)
Date: May 07, 2009 12:59PM

if you want to play college/nhl in canada you play junior. in the states you can make the jump from high school to college/nhl. kudos to omar for being one of the few to make the leap.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2009 01:13PM

High level athletics really is about as close to meritocracy as you'll find in America.

That's why so many hockey players were born in January and February.

If he can stop the puck, I don't care if the guy's the bacterium Yersinia pestis.

I imagine most of the spectators in Lynah would think otherwise.

Date: May 07, 2009 06:21PM

tretiak
if you want to play college/nhl in canada you play junior. in the states you can make the jump from high school to college/nhl. kudos to omar for being one of the few to make the leap.
Right, that's basically what I was getting at. Kanji could certainly still be a wonderful hockey player who's simply going the route less traveled for Canadian players because academics are very important to him.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 07, 2009 06:57PM

mnagowski

High level athletics really is about as close to meritocracy as you'll find in America.

Yeah. Kids born earlier in the year are probably bigger and stronger in their age groups and therefore perform better. This is merit based. The fact that the merit may be more coincidence of the calendars than inherent talent doesn't change that.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.ospd.ca.gov)
Date: May 07, 2009 07:03PM

Josh '99
Kanji could certainly still be a wonderful hockey player who's simply going the route less traveled for Canadian players because academics are very important to him.
Colin Greening is a first-rate student, too, and he played in the BCHL in between UCC and Cornell. I suspect one reason Omar Kanji won't be spending next year on Vancouver Island is that Cornell had a goaltending roster spot to fill. If Cornell did not, he probably would either have gone to an Ivy that had a slot for him or played a full year of Junior A hockey.

Posted by: RichH (---.att-inc.com)
Date: May 07, 2009 11:12PM

cbuckser
Josh '99
Kanji could certainly still be a wonderful hockey player who's simply going the route less traveled for Canadian players because academics are very important to him.
Colin Greening is a first-rate student, too, and he played in the BCHL in between UCC and Cornell. I suspect one reason Omar Kanji won't be spending next year on Vancouver Island is that Cornell had a goaltending roster spot to fill. If Cornell did not, he probably would either have gone to an Ivy that had a slot for him or played a full year of Junior A hockey.

It's also pretty difficult to predict how a goaltender will adjust to moving up levels. We've had U-18 National team goalies not make a dent in the lineup, and found Australians and Texans who were award-winners. Even beyond college, it often takes years and years for the best college goalies to crack the NHL. (See Thomas, Tim)

Date: May 07, 2009 11:48PM

KeithK
mnagowski

Yeah. Kids born earlier in the year are probably bigger and stronger in their age groups and therefore perform better. This is merit based. The fact that the merit may be more coincidence of the calendars than inherent talent doesn't change that.

Only merit based in relation to the arbitrary break point in the year. If a youth league or school system divides its levels using August to July, the kids born in August and September have the advantage.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2009 11:50PM by Swampy.

Posted by: amerks127 (193.134.192.---)
Date: May 08, 2009 04:40AM

Looks like some people here are keeping up on their Malcolm Gladwell readings.

[www.behindthenet.ca]

Posted by: mnagowski (---.allfirst.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 08:07AM

You betcha.

Only merit based in relation to the arbitrary break point in the year. If a youth league or school system divides its levels using August to July, the kids born in August and September have the advantage.

Exactly. If the difference between making the All-Star team at the age of eight and subsequently being given more attention and training to make the travel team at the age of 12 is largely driven by such a random factor, I have a hard time arguing that the sports world is a strict meritocracy.

Now, I'm not trying to suggest that our athletes don't work incredibly hard towards their goals. Because they do. All I'm suggesting is that our notion of 'merit' should be re-considered.

A great book to read, by the way, is this pseudo-academic/science fiction book called 'The Rise of the Meritocracy'.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 10:50AM

amerks127

[www.behindthenet.ca]

Malcolm Gladwell recently spent the day at ESPN and did a few segments on the Colin Cowherd show. I heard some of the interviews and it was very interesting, especially about the age divisions with respect to the calendar influences "success rates".

This link should connect you to the podcast archives for some of his radio interviews.

Date: May 08, 2009 10:55AM

Rita
amerks127

[www.behindthenet.ca]

Malcolm Gladwell recently spent the day at ESPN and did a few segments on the Colin Cowherd show. I heard some of the interviews and it was very interesting, especially about the age divisions with respect to the calendar influences "success rates".
History has been made, ladies and gentlemen. For the first time ever, something interesting has happened on Colin Cowherd's show.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2009 11:05AM

mnagowski
1) This kid is a lot smarter and/or hits the books a lot harder than the rest of the 'all-stars' listed. Good for him.

IB1 student Omar Kanji is such a player. He has been given the St. Michael’s Majors Minor Midget ‘AAA’ Scholarship Award that is presented annually by the Greater Toronto Hockey League, which is the largest minor hockey league in the world.

“The scholarship is a one-time award of $1,000 and it is given towards my tuition at whichever university I attend,” says Kanji. “The award was presented at the Hockey Hall of Fame, where I got the chance to meet former Toronto Maple Leafs legend Ron Ellis.”

The criteria for winning the award was that the recipient had to have a high standard of excellence in hockey and at school. Kanji’s College average is 91, and he’s also involved in a lot of other UCC activities.

This past school year, he was a member of the Community Service Council at the College, a member of the investment club, a plenary head for the World Affairs Conference and he received a bronze medal for the Duke of Edinburgh Award.

[www.ucc.on.ca]

Posted by: RichH (---.att-inc.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 11:06AM

Josh '99
Rita
amerks127

[www.behindthenet.ca]

History has been made, ladies and gentlemen. For the first time ever, something interesting has happened on Colin Cowherd's show.

And someone was actually tuning in and heard it!

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 11:42AM

Fascinating stuff about the birthdate disparities among hockey players, and a reason to keep browsing eLynah in the off-season.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 12:28PM

RichH
Josh '99
Rita
amerks127

[www.behindthenet.ca]

And someone was actually tuning in and heard it!

Hey, I am trying to have some "balance" in my life, it can't just all be NPR. ;-)

Sometimes the guests on the Diane Rehm Show and Fresh Air are not of interest to me. Not much choice when driving around Lafayette... NPR, ESPN, country music or the "God" Stations. Thus what 2 stations would you be flipping between?

Here's today PSA: Sunday is Mother's day, so make sure you call your Mom, especially if she ever got up at 4 am to take you to a 6 am hockey practice! rock

Date: May 08, 2009 01:43PM

mnagowski
Exactly. If the difference between making the All-Star team at the age of eight and subsequently being given more attention and training to make the travel team at the age of 12 is largely driven by such a random factor, I have a hard time arguing that the sports world is a strict meritocracy.

Now, I'm not trying to suggest that our athletes don't work incredibly hard towards their goals. Because they do. All I'm suggesting is that our notion of 'merit' should be re-considered.
It is still merit based. There's no grand conspiracy to advantage kids born in January. Is there a possibility (likelihood?) that some good players will be passed over or not develop based on the vagaries of the calendar? Sure. Is this short sighted? Maybe. But the kids are still being evaluated based on how they perform on the ice and at least to some degree by objective measures.

No where did I say that the sports world is a strict meritocracy. It's just closer to one than most other things I can think of in American society. Plus, when I wrote "high level athletics" I was not referring to eight year olds. There's nothing high level about pre-teen athletics (whether they can outskate or out-stickhandle me is beside the point).
I was thinking about adults - college, the pros.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.allfirst.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 04:23PM

There's no grand conspiracy to advantage kids born in January.

I never suggested there was. And I agree with you that sport is more merit-based than most realms of our society.

I was really just trying to ruffle your feathers by offering a hockey-related anecdote suggesting that a lot of accomplishments in life happen with some confluence of random chance.

As to my original point -- that of a visible minority on the hockey team next year -- I simply think it is good for the sport that individuals from differing backgrounds are being exposed to hockey. Just like it is good that youth lacrosse is exploding in inner-city Baltimore.

Who knows, maybe it will even bring some more student fans into Lynah, introducing even more to the sport.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 05:01PM

mnagowski

I imagine most of the spectators in Lynah would think otherwise.

I would think that the office staff at Sucks and princeton already think the faithful are a plague. doh

Date: May 08, 2009 06:46PM

billhoward
Fascinating stuff about the birthdate disparities among hockey players, and a reason to keep browsing eLynah in the off-season.

Yeah, but not such a revelation. (I was, however, happy to find such strong statistical support.) When I coached house league youth sports, which did not have a real draft, one of the first things I looked at was the birth month of the kids. Our league went August to July for a birth year (corresponding to the school grades in the local public school), and when we had a bunch of August-September births, I knew we were going to have a good season, even if the skills and athletic abilities of the players were evenly distributed throughout the league.

In fact, our psuedo-draft relied on the kids' ranking given by their coach at the end of the previous season. Kids were assigned randomly to teams in tiers: so many #1 kids, so many #2's, etc. Because coaches would take into account a kid's skills and athleticism and discount things like size, knowing that kids grow at different rates, the skill and athleticism of the players was pretty even throughout the league by design. Birth month, on the other hand, was completely uncontrolled. Hence it was possible to have a team heavily weighted with older or younger kids.coffee

Date: May 08, 2009 06:57PM

CowbellGuy
mnagowski

IB1 student Omar Kanji is such a player. He has been given the St. Michael’s Majors Minor Midget ‘AAA’ Scholarship Award that is presented annually by the Greater Toronto Hockey League, which is the largest minor hockey league in the world.

“The scholarship is a one-time award of $1,000 and it is given towards my tuition at whichever university I attend,” says Kanji. “The award was presented at the Hockey Hall of Fame, where I got the chance to meet former Toronto Maple Leafs legend Ron Ellis.”

The criteria for winning the award was that the recipient had to have a high standard of excellence in hockey and at school. Kanji’s College average is 91, and he’s also involved in a lot of other UCC activities.

This past school year, he was a member of the Community Service Council at the College, a member of the investment club, a plenary head for the World Affairs Conference and he received a bronze medal for the Duke of Edinburgh Award.

[www.ucc.on.ca]

Does the fact that they repeat the same paragraph about the amount the scholarship is worth mean that he actually got $2,000?

Also, what's with "I have decided that I will play varsity hockey for UCC and leave AAA hockey in order to pursue a Division 1 hockey scholarship to an American university."? I thought Canada is in America. Silly me.nut

Date: May 08, 2009 08:01PM

Swampy
Also, what's with "I have decided that I will play varsity hockey for UCC and leave AAA hockey in order to pursue a Division 1 hockey scholarship to an American university."? I thought Canada is in America. Silly me.nut
Yes, silly you.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 10:40AM

[Drift] We just passed out of the pre-HS youth lax and hockey leagues, and I could see some psycho sports father / coaches (win at all costs) who'd want to consider birthdate stats in drafting a team if they had the info.

Aside: We're on to HS now and one such outspoken dad was right under the open press box window and the game tape camcorder's mike picked up his rants against the regs, the coach, and all the other players who weren't feeding his son the ball.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login