Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

TBRW Awards

Posted by Trotsky 
TBRW Awards
Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 05:15PM

I've got my ideas; let's hear yours.

(The Belanger will be by popular vote this year -- more than any other award, it's impossible to determine based on video alone).

Link to last year's.

Re: TBRW Awards
Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 05:28PM

Greg,

You're a Cornell hockey mastermind, as always. I don't know enough about the players to nominate someone for every award, but I must nominate Evan Barlow for the Leadership and Passion Award. The amazing run he had through the ECACs and NCAAs was nothing short of inspiring. He'll be missed next year.

Scrappiness and Effort: Riley Nash. He doesn't fit the profile for this one, since he's almost assuredly the most talented player on the team and is the MVP (well, him or Greening.) But I have to credit him for his assist on Cornell's biggest goal of the year: falling down after getting mugged by two Huskies and somehow getting the puck to Barlow for the GWG against Northeastern.

I look forward to reading the nominations from people who know a lot more about this than me (that's just about everyone.) Elie, I am looking in your direction.

--David '02

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.woodstock.clarkson.edu)
Date: March 30, 2009 05:44PM

Most respected opponent - Brian Leitch, Quinnipiac or Lee Jubinville, Princeton

Least respected opponent - Kevin DeVirgilio, St. Lawrence. That kid has had my hate since he through one of the most dirty spears I have ever seen during 2005-2006, and has just kept doing it ever since.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2009 05:58PM

Dpperk29
Least respected opponent - Kevin DeVirgilio, St. Lawrence. That kid has had my hate since he through one of the most dirty spears I have ever seen during 2005-2006, and has just kept doing it ever since.

Got to be Burgdoerfer.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 30, 2009 06:06PM

jtwcornell91
Dpperk29

Got to be Burgdoerfer.

How I forgot about him is beyond me... Definitely Burgdoerfer

Posted by: lynah80 (---.MED.UPENN.EDU)
Date: March 30, 2009 06:08PM

Dpperk29
jtwcornell91
Dpperk29

Got to be Burgdoerfer.

How about the whole RPI team?

Posted by: lynah80 (---.MED.UPENN.EDU)
Date: March 30, 2009 06:12PM

Dpperk29
Most respected opponent - Brian Leitch, Quinnipiac or Lee Jubinville, Princeton

Most respected:

Yale: Arcobello, Backman

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 06:19PM

Dpperk29

You make you think you get a vote?

I kid, I kid... (besides, no one gets a vote except Greg)

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 06:22PM

Natyshak-Paolini (Career Improvement): Evan Barlow
MacFarlane (Skating Beauty and Prowess): Riley Nash
Shippel-Hornby (Scrappiness and Effort): Joe Scali
Gage (Supporting Role): Dan DiLeo
Schafer-Bâby (Leadership and Passion): Tyler Mugford
Belanger-Murphy Family (Loathed Referee): Alex Dell or Bryan Hicks
Carter-Moore (Respected Opponent): Sean Backman (Yale)
Melrose-Nickerson (Least Respected Opponent): Eric Burgdoerfer (RPI)
Dadswell-Vesce (Freshman MVP): Keir Ross
Nieuwendyk-Murray (MVP): Colin Greening

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.3.---)
Date: March 30, 2009 06:39PM

I'll bite:

Natyshak: Michael Kennedy
MacFarlane: Locke Jillson
Shippel: Tyler Mugford
Gage: Joe Scali
Schafer: Evan Barlow
Hayward: Ben Scrivens
Carter: Sean Backman
Melrose: Eric Burgdoerfer
Dadswell: Keir Ross
Nieuwendyk: Riley Nash
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 06:40PM by cbuckser.

Posted by: BMac (74.12.29.---)
Date: March 30, 2009 06:46PM

Natyshak (Career Improvement): Evan Barlow- We did not see this kind of fire in the last three years. He became a monster, like Iggulden as a senior and Sawada at the end of his last season.

MacFarlane (Skating Beauty and Prowess): Riley Nash. No doubt about it.

Shippel-Hornby (Scrappiness and Effort): I'd like to give it to Colin Greening, but this goes to Blake Gallagher for postseason heroics.

Gage (Supporting Role): Jared Seminoff. He doesn't get talked about much, but he will be missed.

Schafer-Bâby (Leadership and Passion): Colin Greening for putting the team on his shoulder game after game. Even Sucks, when we lost, it seemed like he would singlehandedly score a goal.

Carter-Moore (Respected Opponent): Backman and Arcobello played together in high school.

Melrose-Nickerson (Least Respected Opponent): Eric BurgerKing(RPI)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 07:12PM

BMac
Natyshak (Career Improvement): Evan Barlow- We did not see this kind of fire in the last three years. He became a monster, like Iggulden as a senior and Sawada at the end of his last season.
Not a fair comparison. Age hasn't been telling us for years that he could score.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: March 30, 2009 07:49PM

Natyshak-Paolini (Career Improvement): Evan Barlow - for that playoff run alone
Gage (Supporting Role): Joe Scali - again
Schafer-Bâby (Leadership and Passion): Tyler Mugford
Carter-Moore (Respected Opponent): Sean Backman
Melrose-Nickerson (Least Respected Opponent): Eric Burgdoerfer - easiest pick on the board

Posted by: JDeafv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 08:33PM

Career Improvement: Michael Kennedy, he was gawky and awkward as a frosh and now he's a leader of the team.

Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess: Evan Barlow. The goal against Princeton.

Scrappiness and Effort:
Brendon Nash - when he hits, he really hits, better than anybody else on the team.

Determination in a Supporting Role:
- Taylor Davenport - battled to earn ice time at the start of the season, but became a solid dman with lots of time on the PK.

Leadership and Passion: Blake Gallagher - plays through more injuries than any other player and is a true leader with his effort on the ice.

Most Loathed Referee: Carusone/Dell. The first RPI quarterfinal game.

Leading Goaltender: Dan DiLeo - made a huge save against Union in the final minute to keep the game put away.

Most Respected Opponent: Cam MacIntyre (Princeton) - He's a leader on Princeton and had 1 goal and 3 assists against us.

Least Respected Opponent. Seth Appert - He allows and encourages his team to be goons.

Most Valuable Freshman: Keir Ross - He transitioned best to college hockey and looked like a seasoned player from the start.

Most Valuable Player: Riley Nash - He stepped out from trying to be just a scorer and contributed on both sides of the ice, including becoming a very good penalty killer.

Posted by: bernie (---.echostar.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 10:20PM

Career Improvement: M Kennedy

Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess: R Nash

Scrappiness and Effort: Mugford

Determination in a Supporting Role: Scali

Leadership and Passion: Greening

Most Respected Opponent: Kalemba

Least Respected Opponent: Burgdoerfer

Most Valuable Freshman: Ross

Most Valuable Player: Barlow

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 11:52PM

Career Improvement: Evan Barlow
Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess: Riley Nash. Since I can't vote for Topher one more time, can I vote for having his name added to this award?
Scrappiness and Effort: Tyler Mugford
Determination in Supporting Role: Taylor Davenport
Leadership and Passion: Blake Gallagher -- I think he's earned a letter for next year.
Most Loathed Referee: Dell.
Most Respected Opponent: Tyler Scofield -- I'd take him in a second.
Least Respected Opponent: Burgdoerfer
MVF: Keir Ross
MVP: Riley Nash

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 01:40AM

DeltaOne81
Dpperk29

You make you think you get a vote?

I kid, I kid... (besides, no one gets a vote except Greg)

Greg Burgdoerfer, Erik's twin brother who plays for Air Force, is the only one who gets to vote? whistle

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 01:47AM

Natyshak-Paolini (Career Improvement): Evan Barlow. I don't think anyone thought he'd be able to play so well down the stretch.
MacFarlane (Skating Beauty and Prowess): Blake Gallagher
Gage (Supporting Role): Joe Scali. You just can't give Scali enough awards. Heart and soul of the team.
Schafer-Bâby (Leadership and Passion): Colin Greening
Belanger-Murphy Family (Loathed Referee): Alex Dell
Carter-Moore (Respected Opponent): Someone on Yale; they beat us 3 times this year. Arcobello?
Melrose-Nickerson (Least Respected Opponent): Burgdoerfer. Seems like a pretty good defenseman but that hit on Davenport was inexcusable.
Dadswell-Vesce (Freshman MVP): Keir Ross. We needed him on defense and he came through. He'll be Seminoff in a couple of years.
Nieuwendyk-Murray (MVP): Greening, hands down. I could see Barlow as an option for this but not Nash.

Posted by: amerks127 (193.134.192.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 08:38AM

Natyshak-Paolini (Career Improvement): Michael Kennedy - Kennedy may not have the natural talent of R. Nash nor the brute strength of Greening, but the lesser known captain evolved into one of Cornell's best centers and proved to be a consistent scorer on a line that didn't include Nash or Greening. His absence was always glaring, a testament to just how integral his presence was on the line-up. One can only hope Patrick, who was the last returning forward to record a goal this season, follows the same path. Barlow is a close second, but I agree that he has always had immense talent, even skating on the top line for the first half of the season last year. His problem was a tendency to finish the season with relative mediocrity.

MacFarlane (Skating Beauty and Prowess): Blake Gallagher

Shippel-Hornby (Scrappiness and Effort): Tyler Mugford

Gage (Supporting Role): Joe Scali - Mugford's line and the PK worked because of Scali's consistency as Punches and Nicholls rotated.

Belanger-Murphy (Loathed Referee): Two Man System

Carter-Moore (Respected Opponent): Arcobello/Backman Whatever.

Melrose-Nickerson (Least Respected Opponent): Burgdoerfer

Dadswell-Vesce (Freshman MVP): Keir Ross - Could've gone with Jillson, but one goal just isn't impressive and half his assists were secondary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2009 08:40AM by amerks127.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 09:13AM

Peter Natyshak-Sam Paolini Award, Career Improvement: Michael Kennedy

Randy MacFarlane Award, Transcendent Beauty and Skating Prowess: Riley Nash

Dave Shippel-Greg Hornby Award, Scrappiness and Effort: Tyler Mugford

Terry Gage Award, Determination in a Supporting Role: Joe Scali

Mike Schafer-Stephen Bâby Award, Leadership and Passion: Colin "Don't call me Colon" Greening.

Pierre Belanger-Murphy Family Award, Most Loathed Referee: Dell

Brian Hayward-David LeNeveu Award, Leading Goaltender: Ben Scrivens

John Carter-Dom Moore Award, Most Respected Opponent: Zane Kalemba

Kevan Melrose-Matt Nickerson Award, Least Respected Opponent: Burdoerfer, RPI

Doug Dadswell-Ryan Vesce Award, Most Valuable Freshman: Keir Ross

Joe Nieuwendyk-Doug Murray Award, Most Valuable Player: Colin Greening

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2009 10:23AM

Natyshak-Paolini (Career Improvement): Michael Kennedy. A lot of votes for Evan here, but I think he really just got back to playing at the level he showed his first two seasons. He kind of took most of last year off, but obviously came back refocused for his senior year and the results speak for themselves. So while there was a marked improvement from last year, I'm not sure it holds true for "career." I agree with amerks' assessment of Kennedy.

MacFarlane (Skating Beauty and Prowess): Riley Nash. Really makes it look effortless.

Shippel-Hornby (Scrappiness and Effort): Blake Gallagher. Honestly, I can't understand anyone else getting this vote after his performance in the playoffs, not that the rest of the season was anything to sneeze at.

Gage (Supporting Role): Joe Scali

Schafer-Bâby (Leadership and Passion): Colin Greening. Again, this seems like a no-brainer to me. Colin exudes leadership. He's always the one conferencing with the refs, always vocal, always leading by example, and never takes a shift off.

Hayward-LeNeveu (Leading Goaltender): Dan DiLeo. The numbers don't lie.

Belanger-Murphy Family (Loathed Referee): Paul Stewart. I'm not a big fan of this award in the first place. The refs take enough crap. No need to pile it on. But I will gladly call out Paul Stewart for passing down the mandate to his minions to put away the whistle in the playoffs. There's no reason to call the postseason any differently than the regular season. That old-school NHL mentality has no place in the NHL or college.

Carter-Moore (Respected Opponent): Sean Backman

Melrose-Nickerson (Least Respected Opponent): Eric Burgdoerfer

Dadswell-Vesce (Freshman MVP): Keir Ross. Definitely excited to see more of Whitney next year, but Ross was as poised and responsible a freshman defenseman as I've seen in years.

Nieuwendyk-Murray (MVP): Colin Greening. 'nuff said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2009 10:37AM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2009 11:16AM

CowbellGuy

Schafer-Bâby (Leadership and Passion): Colin Greening. Again, this seems like a no-brainer to me. Colin exudes leadership. He's always the one conferencing with the refs, always vocal, always leading by example, and never takes a shift off.

Nieuwendyk-Murray (MVP): Colin Greening. 'nuff said.

I couldn't vote for Colin for these awards, because of his mental lapses taking late penalties in the @Harvard and ECAC-SF Princeton games.

I believe the team looks up to and respects Colin, and I know he has the ability to dominate the ice when he wants, but no more dumb penalties!

Date: March 31, 2009 11:18AM

So you'd rather vote for the guy who, most of the time, is just being too indifferent to have a positive or negative impact? At least Colin's making an effort, if a bit too exuberant at times.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2009 11:31AM

CowbellGuy
So you'd rather vote for the guy who, most of the time, is just being too indifferent to have a positive or negative impact? At least Colin's making an effort, if a bit too exuberant at times.

No, I vote for the guy (Riley) who if you take him out of the lineup leaves the biggest hole, because he's on the PP, PK, 4x4, and the top line 5x5.

Date: March 31, 2009 11:43AM

JDeafv
CowbellGuy

No, I vote for the guy (Riley) who if you take him out of the lineup leaves the biggest hole, because he's on the PP, PK, 4x4, and the top line 5x5.

From an opponents standpoint, I would be thrilled if Greening weren't on cornell. I think he is much more of a threat and problem in both ends than Riley Nash is at this point.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 12:00PM

Natyshak-Paolini (Career Improvement): Evan Barlow - got better each year. I told an Ottawa scout Sunday before the game that he should take a good look at Barlow because he just keeps getting better and may have a lot of upside. He looked down at his lineup sheet and commented that he was small. I said "He's our Brian Gionta and you'd take him, wouldn't you?"
MacFarlane (Skating Beauty and Prowess): Evan Barlow - for just one play he deserves it. The only other recent time I saw a Cornell player skate through everyone like that was Tony Romano, but he was going from the offensive zone to the defensive zone and lost the puck anyway.
Shippel-Hornby (Scrappiness and Effort): Blake Gallagher for the last few weekends
Gage (Supporting Role): Tyler Mugford - maybe worth too much to be considered just "supporting"
Carter-Moore (Respected Opponent): Tyler Scofield (Bemidji) - his line seemed to be out there half the time (those TV commercials helped).

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 12:13PM

Shippel-Hornby (Scrappiness and Effort): Tyler Mugford

Gage (Supporting Role): Justin Krueger

Schafer-Bâby (Leadership and Passion): Blake Gallagher

Carter-Moore (Respected Opponent): Tyler Scofield - The Topher Scott of Bemidji State.

Melrose-Nickerson (Least Respected Opponent): Eric Burgdoerfer - Is there any other possibility?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 12:26PM

Natyshak-Paolini (Career Improvement): Evan Barlow (next year it will be Krueger)
MacFarlane (Skating Beauty and Prowess): Brendon Nash (he just makes skating and puck handling look so effortless)
Shippel-Hornby (Scrappiness and Effort): Joe Scali (hard to choose between him and Gallagher, though)
Gage (Supporting Role): Dan DiLeo (he stuck around despite having only a few minutes of gametime)
Schafer-Bâby (Leadership and Passion): Tyler Mugford (BAMF)
Belanger-Murphy Family (Loathed Referee): I'm going to leave this blank: it's not worth it, Feola
Carter-Moore (Respected Opponent): Sean Backman (he pwned us this year, but with class)
Melrose-Nickerson (Least Respected Opponent): Eric Burgdoerfer
Nieuwendyk-Murray (MVP): Evan Barlow (how many times did he save our ass?)

Posted by: redhair34 (150.108.62.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 12:27PM

Dpperk29
Kevin DeVirgilio, St. Lawrence. That kid has had my hate since he through one of the most dirty spears I have ever seen during 2005-2006, and has just kept doing it ever since.

Are you referring to when he speared Dan Glover at Lynah?

Date: March 31, 2009 03:56PM

redhair34
Dpperk29
Kevin DeVirgilio, St. Lawrence. That kid has had my hate since he through one of the most dirty spears I have ever seen during 2005-2006, and has just kept doing it ever since.

Are you referring to when he speared Dan Glover at Lynah?

Yup...

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 07:34PM

Poor Erik Burgdoerfer, not only do all the Cornell fans hate him, they can't even spell his given name correctly. :`-(

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 07:47PM

ursusminor
Poor Erik Burgdoerfer, not only do all the Cornell fans hate him, they can't even spell his given name correctly. :`-(

Can he spell it? rolleyes

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 09:27PM

MacFarlane (Skating Beauty and Prowess): For pure beauty of stride and ease in skating, the Nash brothers. Unfortunately, IM(v)HO, it didn't translate to "intensity" to me. With B. Nash, many times, I got to see his skating stride as he was headed to the penalty box.

Shippel-Hornby (Scrappiness and Effort): Tyler "Muggie" Mugford. As mentioned on another thread, the audio from the ref's mic for the ECACs was priceless.

Gage (Supporting Role): Scali/Nichols/Punches. They hustled, backchecked, and seemed to be a fine checking line. They had a lot of shifts where they got the puck into the offensive zone and kept it there by cycling and shots on net, unfortunately, their efforts rarely showed up on the scoreboard under "Cornell goals".

Carter-Moore (Respected Opponent): The Yale Bulldogs

Nieuwendyk-Murray (MVP): Jared Seminoff. He did a fine job anchoring the defense. I also can understand Greening and Barlow for this award too.

I think there should be some special recognition "Outstanding Playoff performance", "Self Sacrafice for the Team" or something to that effect. What Blake Gallagher went through to play (and play well) in the ECACs and NC$$s is amazing. I thought Chris Abbott's performance in Green Bay with the broken wrist was gutsy. However, Blake played with a bad ankle that had to support and move his body for 4+ games. Incredible. I hope his ankle heals well during the off season.

Kudos to the training staff for being able to treat is injury so that he could indeed play.

Date: April 01, 2009 09:34AM

Rita
I think there should be some special recognition "Outstanding Playoff performance"

Hmm. What Barlow did this year may indeed need its own category -- the other post-season performance of equivalent dominance that comes to mind is Elliott in 1997.

Food for thought.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 09:35AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2009 11:29AM

Trotsky
Rita
I think there should be some special recognition "Outstanding Playoff performance"

Hmm. What Barlow did this year may indeed need its own category -- the other post-season performance of equivalent dominance that comes to mind is Elliott in 1997.

Oates (vs RPI, at least) in 1998?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: April 01, 2009 01:49PM

Trotsky
Rita

Food for thought.

Probably not a yearly award (though I hope Cornell playoff hockey is!), but some seasons, there is that player who seems to do something that is just extraordinary and likely to be remembered in Lynah lore for quite awhile.

Date: April 01, 2009 01:54PM

Rita
Probably not a yearly award (though I hope Cornell playoff hockey is!), but some seasons, there is that player who seems to do something that is just extraordinary and likely to be remembered in Lynah lore for quite awhile.

I've been toying with the idea of honoring Extraordinary and Not Otherwise Classifiable Contributions to Lynah Folklore. It could be called the Damian Rocke Award.

Date: April 01, 2009 02:05PM

Greg, for those of us who don't know, can you explain the Damian Rocke reference? I see from the collge hockey database that he appeared in one game in 1996-1997 and had 15 penalty minutes. How did he manage that?

Date: April 01, 2009 02:18PM

djk26
Greg, for those of us who don't know, can you explain the Damian Rocke reference? I see from the collge hockey database that he appeared in one game in 1996-1997 and had 15 penalty minutes. How did he manage that?

I'll let somebody else do the honors, but suffice that Mr. Rocke may have the career record for PIM/TOI ratio among people not in federal prison.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 01, 2009 04:20PM

Trotsky
djk26

I'll let somebody else do the honors, but suffice that Mr. Rocke may have the career record for PIM/TOI ratio among people not in federal prison.
Friday, February 21, 1997: [www.elynah.com] .
Cornell is decimated by injuries heading on the Capitol District raodtrip. Union and RPI were both good that year, finishing 5th and 4th respectively. Down to fewer than twelve forwards, Schafer brings Damian Rocke along on the trip, a Cornell soccer player with some hockey experience (may have been skating with the team in practice). He is dressed at Union but didn't see any ice time until the game got out of hand. with the score 6-1 Dutchmen in the third, the legendary Rocke took the ice. On his second shift he received a hitting frmo behind major and game misconduct. 15 minutes of penalty time in less than two minutes on the ice.

Date: April 01, 2009 04:36PM

Thanks, Keith.

Date: April 01, 2009 05:05PM

KeithK
On his second shift he received a hitting frmo behind major and game misconduct. 15 minutes of penalty time in less than two minutes on the ice.
Something I've always wondered about this:

Was it Schafer's intent that Rocke go out and goon-up the joint, or did he just get a little over-excited during his second shift?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 05:15PM

Kyle Rose
KeithK
On his second shift he received a hitting frmo behind major and game misconduct. 15 minutes of penalty time in less than two minutes on the ice.
Something I've always wondered about this:

Was it Schafer's intent that Rocke go out and goon-up the joint, or did he just get a little over-excited during his second shift?
Carpe diem!fight

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 12:46AM

The new phone books are here.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2009 01:20AM

Keir Ross
Erik Burgdoerfer
MK is class of 2009.

Disagree with the choice of Punches, especially since he didn't start for a lot of the year. Aside from that you did a good job of justifying your choices.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.med.upenn.edu)
Date: April 06, 2009 02:41AM

Trotsky
The new phone books are here.

Very nice job on the awards.

Date: April 06, 2009 07:35AM

ebilmes
Keir Ross

Not even a typo -- I've been calling him that all year. doh

Thanks.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2009 07:37AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2009 08:09AM

No offense to you (and Age, who said something similar), but isn't the team's captain technically the only skater who's allowed to lobby/confer with the referees?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: April 06, 2009 10:15AM

Beeeej
No offense to you (and Age, who said something similar), but isn't the team's captain technically the only skater who's allowed to lobby/confer with the referees?

You don't need to try to be offensive...

That he's allowed to doesn't imply he does (c.f., Hughes, Ryan).

Date: April 06, 2009 10:27AM

Umm. Who are we talking about?

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 10:42AM

Riley Nash is now in the name of the McFarlane award?

Posted by: tretiak (---.state.gov)
Date: April 06, 2009 11:26AM

I agree with the choice of Greening for leadership, but doesn't the first sentence portray him more as a whiner who cried about every call? I'd say he led more by example, letting his work ethic and monster hits do his talking for him.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2009 09:57PM

Beeeej
Correct, though there seems to be something missing in the last paragraph. The language is identical in the 2004, 2006, and 2008-10 editions of the rule book.
Rule 2-2-a
Captain of Team
SECTION 2. a. One game captain shall be appointed by each team,
and shall be the only player to have the privilege of discussing with
the referee any questions relating to interpretation of rules that may
arise during the progress of a game. The captain may not dispute a
judgment decision of the referee. The captain should wear the letter
“C,’’ approximately 3 inches in height and in contrasting color, in a
conspicuous position on the front of the jersey.

If the captain is not available because of injury or an imposed
penalty, another player may be designated to act as captain.

A complaint about a penalty is not considered a matter “relating to
the interpretation of the rules,’’ and the captain nor any other player
may make such a complaint.

PENALTY—Misconduct. For further violation, game misconduct.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2009 11:12PM

How does this jive with co-captains? Is one captain designated arbitrarily per game?

Date: April 09, 2009 07:13PM

ugarte

Well, here's the theory. MacFarlane was the quintessential skater and his part of the award represents pure, pond hockey skating skill. But there's always been something else to the award, which might be called skating effectiveness. For example, there are guys on the winners list who weren't elegant, but they had that other thing, which Nash is the personification of.

Anyway. That's the theory.

Posted by: RichH (74.9.144.---)
Date: April 10, 2009 01:19AM

Trotsky
ugarte

Well, here's the theory. MacFarlane was the quintessential skater and his part of the award represents pure, pond hockey skating skill. But there's always been something else to the award, which might be called skating effectiveness. For example, there are guys on the winners list who weren't elegant, but they had that other thing, which Nash is the personification of.

Does that mean that if he stays at least 1 more year, he automatically wins the award that's named for him?

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: April 10, 2009 04:37AM

RichH
Trotsky
ugarte

Does that mean that if he stays at least 1 more year, he automatically wins the award that's named for him?
Oh, to have Riley AND a guy who skates better than he... dribble

Date: April 10, 2009 12:27PM

I'm tired of beautiful skaters who can't score. At this point, they could skate like my 80 year old father, as long as they can put the puck in the net.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2009 12:55PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I'm tired of beautiful skaters who can't score. At this point, they could skate like my 80 year old father, as long as they can put the puck in the net.

So 13 goals, 35 points, a point per game, our top scorer, and instrumental in our end of game comebacks in the playoffs isn't good enough? I'd take many more beautiful skaters like that.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 01:17PM

Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82

So 13 goals, 35 points, a point per game, our top scorer, and instrumental in our end of game comebacks in the playoffs isn't good enough? I'd take many more beautiful skaters like that.
Seriously. The problem isn't Nash it is that he doesn't often have anyone to dish to when his skating gets him as far as it will go.

Date: April 10, 2009 01:18PM

Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82

Nope.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 10, 2009 01:26PM

CowbellGuy
Nope.

I think it's Van Andel Arena, not Van Etten Arena.

Date: April 10, 2009 01:33PM

I could have sword I copy & pasted from the semifinal. Bizarre. Thanks for the catch.

Date: April 10, 2009 01:38PM

CowbellGuy
I could have sword I copy & pasted
If you sword, wouldn't it be "cut & pasted"?

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 05:59PM

CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82

Nope.

Seriously. One wonders if the best addition to next year's team/staff would be a sports psychologist:

"You are gliding down the ice. The puck is glued to your stick. The net is large; the goalie is small. You shoot. What do you see?"

"The red light goes on."

"Good. Now repeat that 50 billion, million times."

That and a huge, all-hands garbage man to plant in front of the net on the power play.

Date: April 10, 2009 08:08PM

RichH

I would call him the early favorite.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2009 09:19PM

Scersk '97
CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82

Nope.

Seriously. One wonders if the best addition to next year's team/staff would be a sports psychologist:

"You are gliding down the ice. The puck is glued to your stick. The net is large; the goalie is small. You shoot. What do you see?"

"The red light goes on."

That and a huge, all-hands garbage man to plant in front of the net on the power play.

After watching the BU, Vermont and Miami teams wind up their shots in milliseconds I can't believe it is only psychological. I see a positive in working on the psych issues. It helped McKee. (Am I remembering the right goalie?) But developing an improvement in offense once the player is at school should be as important as teaching "the system".

Posted by: judy (63.240.196.---)
Date: April 13, 2009 04:16PM

Scersk '97
CowbellGuy
Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82

Nope.

"The red light goes on."

How about "Puck in net and red light goes on?" Cuz that red light is kinda meaningless if the puck is not in the net :-P

Date: April 13, 2009 08:13PM

judy
How about "Puck in net and red light goes on?" Cuz that red light is kinda meaningless if the puck is not in the net :-P
Tell that to Air Force.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2009 10:36AM

Trotsky
judy
Tell that to Air Force.
I don't remember, but did the red light go on?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2009 06:30PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
judy
Tell that to Air Force.
I don't remember, but did the red light go on?

Nope.

Posted by: pnatyshak (---.sdsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 22, 2009 12:25PM

You guys amaze me with your interest in the hockey program -- i am very impressed by the level of our knowledge and committment to the game.

Peter Natyshak 86'

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2009 07:49PM

Good to have you join us, Pete. Greg (Trotsky) and I are both classmates of yours, and I'm sure there are many, many others here who also saw you play. Were it not for the fact that this is kind of a slow time of year around here, I expect several others would have responded to your post before this. I think I can safely speak for the community when I say input from a former Big Red player would certainly be welcomed.

Posted by: redice (---.157.11.16.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 09:01PM

Welcome aboard Pete! I still fondly recall that wild celebration at the Royal Sonesta following the 1986 title game. I think that was in Bert & Helen Cooley's suite. A lot of fun. Thanks for the memories!!

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2009 09:33PM

Welcome Pete! It was great seeing you play for Cornell! Wonderful memories! In looking at the eLynah posts since the end of the season, I think there are actually more this year with three former Cornell players with teams in the Stanley Cup playoff hunt.
Douglas Murray - San Jose
Byron Bitz - Boston
Ryan O'Byrne - Montreal

And of course a couple of former Cornel/NHL goal tenders who are NHL level announcers:
Darren Eliot - Versus
Brian Hayward - Anaheim et al

Enjoy the forum!

Larry '72

Posted by: admin (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2009 01:35PM

Larry72
In looking at the eLynah posts since the end of the season, I think there are actually more this year with three former Cornell players with teams in the Stanley Cup playoff hunt.
Byron Bitz - Boston
Ryan O'Byrne - Montreal

FYP

Date: April 24, 2009 11:09AM

admin
Larry72
In looking at the eLynah posts since the end of the season, I think there are actually more this year with three former Cornell players with teams in the Stanley Cup playoff hunt.
Byron Bitz - Boston
Ryan O'Byrne - Montreal

FYP

LOL!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login