Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3 Northeastern 2 (Postgame thread)

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 3 Northeastern 2 (Postgame thread)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:06PM

Schafer's teams have now won 6 straight first round NCAA games.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2009 07:06PM by Trotsky.

The Third Goal
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:20PM

Check out Barlow on the bench. He is beat! But somehow not beat on the ice:

GWG
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2009 07:21PM by marty.

Re: Cornell 3 Northeastern 2 (Postgame thread)
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:20PM

...the last three in a row, by coming back from 0-2 deficits to win 3-2.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Travis 02 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:22PM

If I read that right, wouldn't that be 8 out of the last 8 first round games they have participated in, instead of 6?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:25PM

Travis 02
If I read that right, wouldn't that be 8 out of the last 8 first round games they have participated in, instead of 6?

No; we lost in the first round in 1996 to Lake Superior State, and in 1991 to Michigan. The white background means it's a round we won; the grey means we lost.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Travis 02 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:27PM

Oh, pardon me for that. It's obviously still an impressive run.

Re: The Third Goal
Posted by: min (---.dynamic.hinet.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:30PM

marty

GWG

Thank you so much, marty!

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:35PM

This is the rare situation where I would say northeastern was a bit too aggressive on the forecheck in the first two periods. Not in the sense of giving up the odd man rush, but by the end of the game, NU was sitting back, and we were able to make some nice plays and draw some penalties. Exciting win. Hopefully tomorrow will be fun.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:36PM

Barlow, R. Nash, and Gallagher skating on a line for the game-winner.

Posted by: HeafDog (---.c3-0.80w-ubr4.nyr-80w.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:38PM

Evan Barlow is THE MAN!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:43PM

Cactus12
This is the rare situation where I would say northeastern was a bit too aggressive on the forecheck in the first two periods. Not in the sense of giving up the odd man rush, but by the end of the game, NU was sitting back, and we were able to make some nice plays and draw some penalties. Exciting win. Hopefully tomorrow will be fun.

Rope-a-dope FTW!

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:46PM

Al DeFlorio

Was that intentional or were they in the middle of a line change?

Gallagher played an amazing game. Right place, right time. I hope he isn't doing any serious harm to himself though.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:47PM

This was so amazing. I made li'l Sidney cry by letting out a yell when Barlow banged home the game winner.

It's funny. We won by a goal and the first Northeastern goal was a lucky bounce off of two Cornell defenders. And still I felt like Northeastern had the better of the play for most of the game. Cornell simply couldn't clear the zone when facing a mediocre offensive team for very long stretches throughout the game. Cornell's passing was sloppy and, at times, seemed random.

And yet... and yet... Gallagher scored a muckers goal, they converted on a power play chance at the end of the game to tie (questionable penalty call there, but I'll take it) and get a beautiful rush at the end to make sure that there is no OT and I can get Sid home in time for bed.

So sweet.

Date: March 28, 2009 07:51PM

Another fun stat: Schafer has now led Cornell to more advances in the NCAA than all of their other coaches put together.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:55PM

Trotsky
Another fun stat: Schafer has now led Cornell to more advances in the NCAA than all of their other coaches put together.

Except he is trailing in one critical stat. Someone is ahead of him for NCAA titles 2-0

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.3.---)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:58PM

lynah80
Al DeFlorio

Was that intentional or were they in the middle of a line change?

That was the line that Mike Schafer sent out after a long tv timeout. I was a little surprised not to see Colin Greening out there.

Date: March 28, 2009 07:59PM

abmarks
Trotsky

Except he is trailing in one critical stat. Someone is ahead of him for NCAA titles 2-0
And the obvious caveat that advancing to the round of 8 means less than when getting to the NCAA's meant that you were in the round of 4.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 08:01PM

ugarte
[T]he first Northeastern goal was a lucky bounce off of two Cornell defenders.
Only fair, since the first Cornell goal was a lucky bounce off of two Cornell attackers.

(I watched it in slow motion a few times and I'm pretty sure Gallagher's shot hit Brendon's skate, then Greening's arm, before it hit net.)

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

Maybe we should fire him rolleyes:-)

Posted by: Cowboy (---.albq.qwest.net)

Who is the last ECAC school to win a game in the NCAA tournament? We must be dominating the ECAC in terms of NCAA wins the last 8 years or so.

Date: March 28, 2009 08:04PM

Cowboy
Who is the last ECAC school to win a game in the NCAA tournament? We must be dominating the ECAC in terms of NCAA wins the last 8 years or so.
Cornell. They won just a few minutes ago against Northeastern.

(Before that, Clarkson beat SCSU in 2008.)

Date: March 28, 2009 08:07PM

Cowboy

ECAC Results, by Year

ECAC Results, Overall Record

ECAC Best Advance

(Current members. Yeah, I haven't subbed in Quinnipiac for Vermont, but it's only been 4 years...)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2009 08:08PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 08:24PM

Well if you want to drive to grand rapids tonight, you need to make it to newark airport Hertz rentals by Midnight to join us. Let us know :)

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 08:28PM

BTW, in case it hasn't been said lately: fuck Bob Norton. He spent the entire time recapping the Cornell-Northeastern game talking about how great the Northeastern coach is. I'm so sick of that windbag... yich.

Date: March 28, 2009 08:31PM

Kyle Rose
BTW, in case it hasn't been said lately: fuck Bob Norton. He spent the entire time recapping the Cornell-Northeastern game talking about how great the Northeastern coach is. I'm so sick of that windbag... yich.
Also keeps saying Cornell was beaten badly by Princeton in the ECAC championship.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 08:32PM

he coached at UNH what do yo uexpect.......

Posted by: finchphil (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 08:43PM

I love Bob Norton. Bob Norton is our best weapon. Three years ago it was "Colorado College has too much firepower for Cornell." This year it was "You have to like Northeastern's chances going into the third period."

It is exciting to see how much bigger and redder Bob Norton's nose is every year....how much fatter he is. He didn't even bother to comb what's left of his hair this year.

He said Cornell lost to Princeton in the ECAC finals at least TEN TIMES. Let's see....they position him as an "assistant coach at UNH from 1970-77..." so just exactly what makes him qualified to provide commentary based on his professional positions over the past 32 years? It's all about the booze....BOB.....

It's March, Bob Norton is back and we're going to the next round. Life is good!

Posted by: ansky629 (67.194.208.---)
Date: March 28, 2009 10:09PM

Haha...I was thinking the same thing. This guy absolutely hates us and doesn't even know what happened in college hockey last week - it's a joke.

By the way - does anybody know if there's a reason he hates us? Or is it just that he really doesn't like our style of play?

Date: March 28, 2009 10:21PM

ansky629
By the way - does anybody know if there's a reason he hates us? Or is it just that he really doesn't like our style of play?

I don't think Norton hates us. He's just an extreme New England homer.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.103-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 10:55PM

He's definitely a New England and Hockey East homer. But it is March. ESPN gets him unpickled for a few weeks, then they stick him back in the tank till the following year!!! crazy
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2009 11:12PM by Larry72.

Posted by: finchphil (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 11:03PM

I remember Bob Norton from his days on Little House on the Prairie

Bob Norton

Re: YOUTUBE GOAL CLIPS
Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 04:58AM

marty

GWG

Marty, Thank you so much!! Does anyone have any more clips of the other goals?

Posted by: trainbow (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:48AM

Some observations from the box score:

Cornell won only 40% of the faceoffs.

On ice for all three CU goals:
Gallagher and B. Nash [and also Alex Tuckerman]
Davenport was on ice for the two NU goals.

Barlow had 7 of Cornell's 32 shots on goal, 6 in the third period alone.
No other player on either team had more than 3 (Kary had 3 for CU).

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:53AM

trainbow

I'm surprised it was that high. There was one point when we were down 2-0 where everyone around us was saying "Just win a damn faceoff."

Posted by: HockeyMan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 09:27AM

Can someone who was at the arena yesterday give a sense of the place--the sight lines, acoustics, etc. Was the crowd bigger for the evening game? Will BSU likely have a lot of fans there tonight? Will they outnumber the faithful?

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 10:22AM

HockeyMan
Can someone who was at the arena yesterday give a sense of the place--the sight lines, acoustics, etc. Was the crowd bigger for the evening game? Will BSU likely have a lot of fans there tonight? Will they outnumber the faithful?
I think it's a great venue to watch a game. Excellent sight lines all around. The Cornell section was on the side opposite the benches, so they were probably using a smaller hand-held camera when they showed us. There's an "upper deck" where you get a great view too. That's where the pep band was, and I sat up there in 1997.
There was a much bigger crowd for the second game. Mostly Notre Dame but there are also a lot of Bemidji fans in town. We will be outnumbered.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 10:43AM

Here is the ranting of a BU fan in today's Boston Globe, commenting on the Northeastern-Cornell game story:

"I am a BU fan, but NU DID NOT lay an egg. The tough thing is Cornell is NOT a team anybody halfway decent should ever relinquish a two goal lead to, the way that Cornell plays, yet they scored two legit goals, although I woulda been upset with my defenseman taking that penalty with a one goal lead with less than five to go. That being said, the tying goal is a solid PP goal. THE ONE THAT HURTS IS THE UNCHARACTERISTIC FIVE HOLE GOAL that Thiessen stops 99 out of 100 times. "

You can read the story here:
[www.boston.com]

Date: March 29, 2009 10:48AM

dbilmes
Here is the ranting of a BU fan in today's Boston Globe, commenting on the Northeastern-Cornell game story:

"I am a BU fan, but NU DID NOT lay an egg. The tough thing is Cornell is NOT a team anybody halfway decent should ever relinquish a two goal lead to, the way that Cornell plays, yet they scored two legit goals, although I woulda been upset with my defenseman taking that penalty with a one goal lead with less than five to go. That being said, the tying goal is a solid PP goal. THE ONE THAT HURTS IS THE UNCHARACTERISTIC FIVE HOLE GOAL that Thiessen stops 99 out of 100 times. "

You can read the story here:
[www.boston.com]
Maybe Tim or Jim can get him a Valium?

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 10:55AM

trainbow

Schafer's comments on that:

'When asked how they can improve their faceoff draws in Sunday’s Midwest Regional final, Cornell head coach Mike Schafer didn’t hesitate.

“It’s really easy. We’re not going to have to play against Joe Vitale. We heard he was good coming into the game. He was unbelievable. He must have been near 90 percent tonight and we have some good guys on faceoffs.”'

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 29, 2009 10:58AM

ansky629

I believe it's because our bars close at 1:00.

Posted by: trainbow (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 12:47PM

DisplacedCornellian
trainbow

Schafer's comments on that:

'When asked how they can improve their faceoff draws in Sunday’s Midwest Regional final, Cornell head coach Mike Schafer didn’t hesitate.

“It’s really easy. We’re not going to have to play against Joe Vitale. We heard he was good coming into the game. He was unbelievable. He must have been near 90 percent tonight and we have some good guys on faceoffs.”'

[www.uscho.com]

Vitale was 25 of 35, so roughly 70%.
Otherwise, NU was 19 of 35. Only Rassey (1 of 5) was less than 50%.
For CU, the only guys better than 50% were Punches (3 of 4) and Barlow (2 of 3).

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 12:49PM

I think some people relate our goal scoring to our style.. It seems to me that since the RPI series we have been pushing forward much more on offense, the bigger issue we just dont finish plays. we need to start scoring some goals that dont require screens or deflections or get mucked in. NE didnt do much more either, one double deflection and a blown D coverage for a breakway are hardly a domination offensive performance.

Posted by: kfish (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 01:02PM

I talked to someone affiliated with BSU (asst coach or trainer?)who thought they have about 150 fans here. It'll be a small, but hopefully loud, showing of fans from both sides.

Regarding BSU's play; in short, they were fast and tenacious. I don't think they ever relaxed, even when up 4-nil.

More YOUTUBE GOAL CLIPS
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 01:04PM

Albany semi 3rd per. highlights

Greening's GWG over Princeton in Albany

Gallagher's 2nd period goal vs. NE

Greening tying goal vs. NE

Posted by: judy (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 02:01PM

I think Josh mentioned hearing Bemidji fans. They have fans there but mostly they cheered at the goals and at the end. However, there was a group of about 10 really drunk guys right behind us who kept cheering. They're the ones who started chanting "WE WANT CORNELL!"

Not sure how they sold the tickets since our section was a mix of Cornell and Notre Dame fans.

Is anyone able to explain Notre Dame's cheers and various "dances" that go along with the cheers? Or maybe the hand gestures meant something. I don't understand :(

Re: Norton...ugh!
Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 02:55PM

Trotsky
ansky629

I don't think Norton hates us. He's just an extreme New England homer.

True that! He has always dissed Clarkson and St Law, though I'd bet he has had a few drinks with Joe Marsh, another New England native.

And he has no respect for anyone in the ECAC, except perhaps for Harvard.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 02:59PM

The hand gestures mimic those of the cheerleaders with their pompoms. Now why they do that...

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 03:04PM

Sorry. Used up all of mine in 2nd period vs NE.twitch

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login