Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

espnu getting ahead of itself

Posted by Greenberg '97 
espnu getting ahead of itself
Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 11:51PM

A bit ambitious a caption on the website of the network that's allegedly covering the tournament?

[espn.go.com]

Edit: I'm talking about this line...
Five goals slipped by Notre Dame to take the 1-seed out. Bemidji State is in the Frozen Four.

doh
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 12:20AM by Greenberg '97.

Re: espnu getting ahead of itself
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2009 12:05AM

Greenberg '97
A bit ambitious a caption on the website of the network that's allegedly covering the tournament?

[espn.go.com]

Since that's a constantly-changing page, and most people who read it after tonight won't know what you're talking about, I assume you're talking about the link "Cornell wins regional with goal in final moments"?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 12:06AM

Beeeej
Greenberg '97

[espn.go.com]

Since that's a constantly-changing page, and most people who read it after tonight won't know what you're talking about, I assume you're talking about the link "Cornell wins regional with goal in final moments"?

I think he was referring to "Bemidji State is in the Frozen Four" underneath the photo.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

Beeeej
Greenberg '97

[espn.go.com]

As of 12:06 AM it says the following, which is, I'm sure, what the OP was referring to:

---
Five goals slipped by Notre Dame to take the 1-seed out. Bemidji State is in the Frozen Four.
---

Posted by: Robin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)

he means:

Another One Out

Date: March 29, 2009 12:07AM

Jordan 04
Beeeej
Greenberg '97

[espn.go.com]

I think he was referring to "Bemidji State is in the Frozen Four" underneath the photo.

Well, then they're full of all kinds of Failâ„¢ tonight.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: JimHyla (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 12:14AM

Of course they also have a headline "Cornell wins regional with goal in final moments." So which is it?

Date: March 29, 2009 12:16AM

Yes, we're all Ivy Leaguers here. Thanks to those who figured it out and explained it.

I was going to edit the post with an explanation once the page was corrected, but I sometimes like to make people work for the punchline.

Date: March 29, 2009 12:18AM

Beeeej
Greenberg '97

[espn.go.com]

Beeeej, since you like to be super-literal, note that I said "caption," not "headline" or "link."

whistle

Date: March 29, 2009 12:26AM

Greenberg '97
Beeeej
Greenberg '97

[espn.go.com]

Beeeej, since you like to be super-literal, note that I said "caption," not "headline" or "link."

whistle

That's fine, but the very first thing I saw was an error, just not the one you meant - so I assumed, "Hey, an error," and stopped there.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:23AM

Beeeej
Greenberg '97
Beeeej
Greenberg '97

[espn.go.com]

whistle

That's fine, but the very first thing I saw was an error, just not the one you meant - so I assumed, "Hey, an error," and stopped there.
With that kind of lazy attitude you'll never make partner - and we both know just how low that bar is.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2009 09:36AM

Beeeej
Greenberg '97

[espn.go.com]

Well, throughout the Cornell-Penn lacrosse broadcast yesterday, Barry Leonard kept referring to Cornell's Regional Semifinal as the "NCAA Semifinal".

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 09:48AM

jtwcornell91
Beeeej
Greenberg '97

[espn.go.com]

Well, throughout the Cornell-Penn lacrosse broadcast yesterday, Barry Leonard kept referring to Cornell's Regional Semifinal as the "NCAA Semifinal".
Also stupid, in my opinion, is calling tonight's game the "regional championship" (CornellBigRed's headline says something about Cornell moving into the "championship game.";) Just what "region" are you champion of when the four teams competing are from New York, Minnesota, Indiana, and Massachusetts? Tonight's game is an NCAA quarterfinal. The one and only championship game is in DC.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2009 09:52AM

Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91
Beeeej
Greenberg '97

[espn.go.com]

Also stupid, in my opinion, is calling tonight's game the "regional championship" (CornellBigRed's headline says something about Cornell moving into the "championship game.";) Just what "region" are you champion of when the four teams competing are from New York, Minnesota, Indiana, and Massachusetts? Tonight's game is an NCAA quarterfinal. The one and only championship game is in DC.

Well, yeah, but then it's silly calling it a "Regional" at all. As I recall people wanted to make a big deal of the face that only one team comes out of a regional in the 16-team tournament, as opposed to when two teams came out of each 6-team regional.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 29, 2009 10:45AM

jtwcornell91
Well, yeah, but then it's silly calling it a "Regional" at all. As I recall people wanted to make a big deal of the face that only one team comes out of a regional in the 16-team tournament, as opposed to when two teams came out of each 6-team regional.

They could move to a basketball-like nomenclature (formerly men's, currently women's), calling it the "Grand Rapids Regional" rather than assigning an arbitrary directional modifier. Then it's more accurate to say that "One team came out of Grand Rapids" rather than "One team came out of the Midwest."

Although it's true, one team will come out of the Midwest. And three out of the East.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 03:32PM

Al DeFlorio
Also stupid, in my opinion, is calling tonight's game the "regional championship" ... Tonight's game is an NCAA quarterfinal. The one and only championship game is in DC.

But Al...I saw them give out those hats to Miami and UVM after their games... Doesn't Hat=Championship???whistle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 03:57PM by TimV.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 03:47PM

What about "regional final"?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 03:49PM

French Rage
What about "regional final"?
Works for me. Just don't declare the team that advances a "champion" when in reality it's just an NCAA semifinalist.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 03:54PM

Last night one of the announcers had BU going to D.C. after their win over TOSU. UNH may make them liars.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login