Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Northeastern

Posted by Cowboy 
Northeastern
Posted by: Cowboy (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 04:38PM

Does anyone know something substantive about this team? Is this a pretty easy first round match-up relative to facing Minn-Duluth or North Dakota? I guess the major downside is we have to face Notre Dame if we win the first round.

I saw they lost to Princeton earlier in the year. Barry Melrose also said we play identical styles, so there could easily be an upset by Cornell.

Re: Northeastern
Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 04:45PM

The only thing I know is this:

NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY.....

<waiting>

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 04:46PM

Greenberg '97
The only thing I know is this:

NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY.....

<waiting>

SUCKS!

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 04:47PM

Thanks for biting. I could repeat it twice more for effect, but it's easier to just reread the post.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 04:49PM

Their goalie is the Hockey East Player of the Year. And a few years ago, when they played in the Florida tournament, their team was one of the worst in the country.

Date: March 22, 2009 04:50PM

Greenberg '97
Thanks for biting. I could repeat it twice more for effect, but it's easier to just reread the post.

No problem. Anything for NCAA week.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 04:56PM

Cornell went hard after Thiessen. So did North Dakota. Interesting that he chose Northeastern and has been instrumental in bringing them to the national scene. Have watched him a few times this year and he is extremely good.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 04:58PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 05:22PM

Thiessen visted Cornell in late January 2006. During the next week he was telling people 1) that he wasn't going to Cornell and 2) that David McKee would be leaving. Both turned out to be true. Here's Big Red Puckhead's article in March 2006:
[bigredpuckhead.blogspot.com]
He's been great in goal this year for Northeastern.

Posted by: Brian Deerr '04 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 06:50PM

I saw them lose 4-1 at BC earlier this month - on that night, they looked beatable. Their PP didn't do much that night, but that was because BC did a very good job of moving the box around to shut down the shooting lanes. Their powerplay did seem capable, though.

Northeastern did dominate at times within the game, but BC played the better game that night. Overall, they struck me as a solid all-around team, maybe similar to Princeton in that regard. The Northeastern fans were loud and dedicated the whole game - they reminded me of the Faithful.

Based on the other options, I think it's a pretty good first-round draw for us. It seems more likely that we'll be able to get them to play our style (which probably isn't terribly far from their style) than trying to slow down a team like Yale. First team to three goals might be the winner here...

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 06:56PM

Brian Deerr '04
First team to three goals might be the winner here...

Oh well...

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 12:28AM

Brian Deerr '04
Based on the other options, I think it's a pretty good first-round draw for us. It seems more likely that we'll be able to get them to play our style (which probably isn't terribly far from their style) than trying to slow down a team like Yale. First team to three goals might be the winner here...

I think you are right and it's not to our advantage. If their style is our style they win. Why?

- not pushing them off their game
- THeir goalie has the same sv % as scrivens but northeastern gives up a lot more shots. So they give up a few more goals against. But since we can't finish... and they seem to have some scorers..

- then warm up the bus if they get the first one.

Only way we win is by being absolutely on our A-game defensively and catching a bounce on offense. 1-0 or 2-1. Agreed that 3 goals is the winner for either side

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 12:56AM

Thiessen has his own website:

[www.thiessen39.com]

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2009 08:20AM

lynah80

[www.thiessen39.com]

He's a journalism major but doesn't know when to use "fewer" instead of "less." Impressive.

Posted by: pat (69.77.162.---)
Date: March 23, 2009 09:24AM

andyw2100
He's a journalism major but doesn't know when to use "fewer" instead of "less." Impressive.

That's a non-error. See the M-W Concise Dictionary of Usage or any of like 15 posts on Language Log.

Me, I'm more concerned that he highlighted KEY COG for some reason. And now I can't stop saying KEYCOG. KEYCOG! KEYCOG! I wonder if the Vermont crowd chants KKKKKKKKKKEEEEEYYYYYYYYY CCCCCOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGG at him.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.environcorp.com)
Date: March 23, 2009 09:32AM

andyw2100
lynah80

[www.thiessen39.com]

Do you read most sports journalism? Color me not surprised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2009 09:32AM by BCrespi.

Posted by: klo25 (---.bio.sunysb.edu)
Date: March 23, 2009 10:36AM

abmarks
Brian Deerr '04

I think you are right and it's not to our advantage. If their style is our style they win. Why?

- THeir goalie has the same sv % as scrivens but northeastern gives up a lot more shots. So they give up a few more goals against. But since we can't finish... and they seem to have some scorers..

Only way we win is by being absolutely on our A-game defensively and catching a bounce on offense. 1-0 or 2-1. Agreed that 3 goals is the winner for either side

Agreed. I saw them beat BU in OT in early March. Very similar styles. I felt like I was watching Cornell at certain points, especially when the Huskies had a power play.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 11:12AM

klo25
abmarks
Brian Deerr '04

Agreed. I saw them beat BU in OT in early March. Very similar styles. I felt like I was watching Cornell at certain points, especially when the Huskies had a power play.

That might just bode well for our penalty kill.

Posted by: min (---.dynamic.hinet.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 07:59AM

I am no coach, but I am guessing that Northeastern will try its best NOT to play Cornell's style of hockey when the two teams meet on Saturday. It's pretty obvious that every team from here on out will try to play Cornell the way Yale did in the ECAC final. Let's hope that coach Schafer has made the necessary defensive rearrangements and that our players are mentally and physically prepared come Saturday. LGR!

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 24, 2009 09:28AM

I'm no coach either, but I would think that if I had a team that was described as very Cornell-esque and I was successful with that all season, I would not try and enter the NCAA tournament playing a different style of hockey. Sure I might emphasize certain advantages to my players and when it might make some sense to take risks - as I'd imagine all coaches do for every game - but I've got to imagine that their coach is confident that he can win playing the way they've played all year.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 09:44AM

"Cornell hockey" is probably as meaningful to Northeastern as "Northeastern hockey" is to us, and "Northeastern hockey" doesn't conjure up any image AFAIK. :-}

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 10:38AM

Trotsky
"Cornell hockey" is probably as meaningful to Northeastern as "Northeastern hockey" is to us, and "Northeastern hockey" doesn't conjure up any image AFAIK. :-}
Northeastern hockey is generally described as "what you see in consolation games."

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 11:27AM

ugarte
Trotsky
Northeastern hockey is generally described as "what you see in consolation games."

...Or "What you call a home game if you didn't get into Harvard, BU or Tufts."

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 12:03PM

LaJollaRed
ugarte
Trotsky

...Or "What you call a home game if you didn't get into Harvard, BU or Tufts."
Tufts? You mean BC?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2009 12:03PM by ftyuv.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 12:17PM

Jordan 04
I'm no coach either, but I would think that if I had a team that was described as very Cornell-esque and I was successful with that all season, I would not try and enter the NCAA tournament playing a different style of hockey. Sure I might emphasize certain advantages to my players and when it might make some sense to take risks - as I'd imagine all coaches do for every game - but I've got to imagine that their coach is confident that he can win playing the way they've played all year.
I tend to agree with this. You've gotta dance with who you came to the dance with.

(Yes, I know that should probably be "whom" and that I ended the sentence with a preposition, but I don't care.)

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 02:08PM

Josh '99
Jordan 04
I tend to agree with this. You've gotta dance with who you came to the dance with.

(Yes, I know that should probably be "whom" and that I ended the sentence with a preposition, but I don't care.)

It's "you dance with th' one that brung ya", stop trying to make it into a proper sentence.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 04:25PM

French Rage
It's "you dance with th' one that brung ya", stop trying to make it into a proper sentence.

Per Ralph Kiner, it's actually "you dance with the girl what brung you."

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 05:04PM

Trotsky
French Rage

Per Ralph Kiner, it's actually "you dance with the girl what brung you."
And Lord knows he's an authority on incoherent babble.

Posted by: rep2 (---.mentorg.com)
Date: March 25, 2009 04:14PM

Don't sell them short! As a Boston based person, I see a number of their games. I even root for them at the Beanpot every year (Harvard Sucks, Screw BU and I hate BC).

They do have a habit of choking during big games, like during this years Beanpot.

Date: March 25, 2009 04:24PM

rep2
Don't sell them short! As a Boston based person, I see a number of their games. I even root for them at the Beanpot every year (Harvard Sucks, Screw BU and I hate BC).
Nobody is selling them short. We are giving ourselves hope.

Comments from Northeastern Coach Greg Cronin
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 01:27AM

Northeastern head coach Greg Cronin made some comments yesterday about Cornell. The full interview is available here:

[www.hockeyeastonline.com]

Interviews with other Hockey East coaches were also posted.

[www.hockeyeastonline.com]

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 03:34PM

That lack of respect for NE will land you in a consolation game if there were one in the Regionals.

My suggestion is to not sleep on Northeastern. This isn't the Beanpot.

So their goalie has a website, So does Marty Brodeur..,who cares?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 04:56PM

Rich S
That lack of respect for NE will land you in a consolation game if there were one in the Regionals.
Well, I guess it's a good thing Schafer decided Ugarte was going to be a healthy scratch this weekend then, or his lack of respect might get the team in trouble.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 26, 2009 05:15PM

Josh '99
Rich S
Well, I guess it's a good thing Schafer decided Ugarte was going to be a healthy scratch this weekend then, or his lack of respect might get the team in trouble.

That's OK, ugarte is just a roll player.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: March 26, 2009 05:45PM

Rich S

My suggestion is to not sleep on Northeastern. This isn't the Beanpot.

So their goalie has a website, So does Marty Brodeur..,who cares?
The Princeton bulletin board was FULL OF ugarte quotes. Fat lot of good it did them. I kept my mouth shut about Yale. Fat lot of good that did us.

Posted by: amerks127 (193.134.192.---)
Date: March 27, 2009 04:57AM

NYTimes ran an article about Greg Cronin/Northeastern yesterday. Cornell has a shout out.

[www.nytimes.com]

The game is on ESPNU 4 PM EDT
Posted by: rep2 (---.mentorg.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 08:55AM

ESPN is showing that the Cornell Northeastern is on ESPNU at 4PM.

Hockey's Future Tournament Article
Posted by: Joe09JD (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 08:57AM

Decent article previewing this weekend's match-ups from hockey's future.

Hockey's Future Link

Re: The game is on ESPNU 4 PM EDT
Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 09:43AM

rep2
ESPN is showing that the Cornell Northeastern is on ESPNU at 4PM.

Huh...that's notable enough to warrant its own thread

Date: March 27, 2009 09:54PM

Don't flatter yourself.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 10:02PM

Rich S
Don't flatter yourself.
Is it even possible that you are this dense?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 10:06PM

ugarte
Rich S
Don't flatter yourself.
Is it even possible that you are this dense?

Don't expect Rich to answer this. He has a history of being the "better man" and never answering unflattering posts. rolleyes

Date: March 27, 2009 10:29PM

really Marty? I'm still waiting for your respons on the RPI and Union thing.

Relax boys, your game ain't til tomorrow.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (128.189.243.---)
Date: March 27, 2009 10:36PM

And yours ain't till October.

Date: March 27, 2009 10:39PM

Just like yours last year...pfft! :-D

That's why Im relaxed watching all these teams "choke."

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2009 10:43PM

Rich S

I think what we all need is this:

[www.geocities.com]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 27, 2009 10:44PM

Rich S

Yeah, the tone of your posts seems very relaxed!

Date: March 27, 2009 10:47PM

hey Marty, me thinks you need to switch to decaf...chill pal, can ya?

Date: March 27, 2009 10:53PM

Rich S
hey Marty, me thinks you need to switch to decaf...chill pal, can ya?

Date: March 28, 2009 12:17AM

Rich S
Don't flatter yourself.

Do you really think this kinda crap adds to the discourse here, or are you simply having too much fun? It doesn't seem like fun.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login