Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell in Pairwise and KRACH

Posted by lynah80 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cornell in Pairwise and KRACH
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 01:50AM

BU lost to PC last night 4-2, so Cornell moved to #1 in the KRACH and Pairwise rankings. Kieran Millan was not in net; no reason was given. Grant Rollheiser (Fr, 2.66 GAA, 0.877 save%) gave up 4 goals on 25 shots.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 11:58PM by lynah80.

Re: Cornell moves to #1 in KRACH and Pairwise
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 03:39AM

Shows how volatile PWR can be (especially after only half a season). BU drops from #1 all the way to #5 with one loss.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 09:03AM

So, being #1 in the land right now means the new bracketology will have us in Colorado Springs, right?

Posted by: Robb (---.etn.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 09:46AM

DeltaOne81
So, being #1 in the land right now means the new bracketology will have us in Colorado Springs, right?
Unless there's a regional being hosted in Vladivostok, in which case we'll be sent there.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.environcorp.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 11:14AM

DeltaOne81

Yes, since I've heard Cornell would love to get in a ski trip around the games.

Posted by: djk26 (65.91.169.---)
Date: January 14, 2009 11:24AM

This discussion reminds me of something I posted on the USCHO "April Fool's day" thread in 2006:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007 NCAA Tournament: Cornell to be sent to 1978, play USSR

Marty Scarano, the chairman of the NCAA Ice Hockey Tournament's selection committee, announced today that Cornell University will be sent through time to Moscow in 1978 to face the USSR in the 2007 tournament.

"We felt that after sending them to play Minnesota in St. Paul in 2005 and Wisconsin in Green Bay in 2006, we needed to come up with another way to screw the Big Red," Scarano said. "This seemed perfect."

When asked by reporters if this pairing was dictated by the RPI and PWR, Scarano replied, "I have no idea what those terms mean. We usually just pull 'em out of a hat and vaguely justify it all later."

Cornell coach Mike Schafer seemed determined to meet this new challenge. "We may be the Big Red, but the USSR hockey team circa 1978 is the bigger red. Still, we think we can get it done. They can't say that ECAC teams don't play a tough schedule after this matchup. Maybe now we can get Dave McKee to come back...he always wanted to travel through time."

Mike Eruzione could not be reached for comment.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 11:52AM

Considering the time travel, many of our players would still have all four years of elegibility left!banana

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 05:36PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Considering the time travel, many of our players would still have all four years of elegibility left!banana
True, but they won't have been born yet, either. That's going to be tough on faceoffs.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 09:32PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
True, but they won't have been born yet, either. That's going to be tough on faceoffs.

When asked about this, Scarano said, "Precisely. We thought of that before we decided to send them to 1978." laugh

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 06:49PM

Two guys from BU got roughed up by Merrimack last night. Chris Higgins (F, 10, 11, 21, +0) suffered a concussion and Matt Gilroy (D, 3, 11, 14 +8) a separated shoulder. According to BU's coach Jack Parker, the refs let the game get out of hand. Let's hope they are both back to normal soon so Cornell can beat BU at their A game if they face them in the NCAA tournament.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 07:51PM by lynah80.

Date: January 17, 2009 09:41PM

Matt Gilroy must be a fast healer. He was back on the ice tonight against BC and managed to score a goal. Separated shoulder?

BU 5 BC 2

Date: January 17, 2009 09:46PM

Notre Dame 3, Lake Superior 3

Notre Dame has yet to defeat a top-10 team. SOS Rk = 34

Posted by: Avash (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 10:09PM

lynah80
Matt Gilroy must be a fast healer. He was back on the ice tonight against BC and managed to score a goal. Separated shoulder?

BU 5 BC 2

As a medical student (which doesn't mean I necessarily know anything), I feel I should mention that there are at least six official types of separated shoulders -- the least severe of which is usually treated with just ice and Advil.

Still, returning to play in less than 24 hours is pretty impressive.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.MED.UPENN.EDU)
Date: January 18, 2009 02:11AM

Thank you, I didn't know there were 6 grades of shoulder separation. So Advil is now the drug of choice. No more "take two aspirin and call me in the morning"?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 02:13AM by lynah80.

Posted by: kaelistus (209.6.19.---)
Date: January 18, 2009 09:22AM

6 grades... Grr.. I was diagnosed with type 1 and they gave me an advil and told me to go home. Stupid doctors. How did they miss the bone sticking out in my shoulder?

1 week later I went back to the hospital and they correctly diagnosed type 3. Took about 6 months to heal (Although the bone sticks out forever)

Posted by: CKinsland (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 09:35AM

I had a typeII...couldn't lift my arm for weeks (and the most amazing bruise that spread down my torso). Years later, I cringe when I think of it.

When I watch football and they say some guy dislocated his shoulder 2 weeks ago and he's out there now...I wonder what the hell kind of drugs they're dispensing.

I wouldn't want to play hockey 1 week after any shoulder separation...type I or whatever. I guess I'm just not that tough.

CK

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 10:49AM

lynah80
Thank you, I didn't know there were 6 grades of shoulder separation. So Advil is now the drug of choice. No more "take two aspirin and call me in the morning"?

When I was playing rugby, I got my knee banged up in a late-November game. Knowing there was a hockey game that night, and that the training room would be staffed, I stopped in to have the knee examined. The trainer told me it looked like I'd probably strained some ligaments (I think it turned out to be the MCL, but the memory is fuzzy). Anyway, what I loved was his advice: "Take some aspirin and go out and have a few beers."

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 11:19AM

Killer
lynah80

When I was playing rugby, I got my knee banged up in a late-November game. Knowing there was a hockey game that night, and that the training room would be staffed, I stopped in to have the knee examined. The trainer told me it looked like I'd probably strained some ligaments (I think it turned out to be the MCL, but the memory is fuzzy). Anyway, what I loved was his advice: "Take some aspirin and go out and have a few beers."
Well, I'd find a new trainer. ASA and beer, great combo, if you want to have a bleeding ulcer that is.

TUCs
Posted by: Robb (---.ip.mcleodusa.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 11:31AM

Just perusing the current PWR (1/18), and noticed that things are really breaking our way in terms of TUCs. It doesn't even show up in the PWR yet, since we've only played 7 TUC games right now, but we'll certainly hit 10 by the end of the ECAC tournament, which should help cement our PWR comparisons against several schools.

Right now, we're 5-1-1 against TUCs, with wins against (in RPI): #8 (Princeton), #15 (Dartmouth), #19 (SCSU), #21 (NoDak), and #24 (SLU), with our Tie against #16 (Quinnipiac). I think we can all remember the only team we lost to so far. :)

On the outside looking in (at being TUCs) are #26 Yale, #28 Union, #31 Colgate, and #32 Niagara (unlikely to make it to TUC status, but boy wouldn't that be great?). As far as ECAC teams, there's then a huge dropoff to #47 Harvard.

So SLU could bounce in or out, but if they are out, they'll probably be replaced by Yale or Union. Looking at our schedule, then, our remaining games against possible TUCs are #26 Yale (x2), #24 SLU, #16 Quinnipiac, #8 Princeton, #15 Dartmouth, and #28 Union.

If we assume that only 1 of SLU, Yale, and Union ends up as a TUC, we'll end up the regular season with 11 games against TUCs (13 if 2 of the 3 are TUCs). If SCSU and NoDak stay about where they are, then 9 of our 11 TUC games are against teams #15-25, and if 2 of SLU, Yale, and Union are there, then it's 11 out of 13! Wow - talk about taking advantage of the TUC cliff...

Taking it one step farther (further? Does a metaphorical step still count as distance?) into dangerous geekery territory: For TUC comparison purposes, it doesn't matter how OUR remaining TUC games go, since H2H games are not considered when calculating the TUC win % for PWR. Therefore, if we currently have a better record against TUCs than team X, then team X has to improve its record against TUCs by beating someone other than Cornell. (conversely, if team Y currently has a better TUC record than us, we have to beat other TUCs besides team Y to catch them). Right now, the only team whose record vs. TUCs is better than ours is Princeton, at 6-1 (.857) (not counting their loss to us). Our record against non-Princeton TUCs is 4-1-1 (.750). To improve our TUC record enough to beat Princeton in this category, we'd need to win 5 more games vs. non-Princeton TUCs to get to 9-1-1 (.864) assuming that they maintain their current .857.

Flipping that around and looking at how many additional TUC wins the other 23 TUCs (not us and not Princeton) need to catch us, the team in the best shape is BU, who would only need 4 additional wins (and no more losses) to catch us. Next are Notre Dame and USAFA at 7 wins each. The other teams are all in double digits, from Dartmouth at 10 TUC wins needed up to North Dakota at 34. North Dakota is an outlier, though because our only TUC loss was to them, so for TUC comparison purposes with them, our record is 4-0-1 (.900), so it takes a lot of wins for them to catch us. Furthermore, each additional loss that one of these teams takes against a TUC means that they'd need approximately 4 more wins (on top of what they already needed) in order to catch us, since our win % is approximately 4-1. In short, IF (big if) we can continue beating TUCs at a .786 clip, we're virtually guaranteed to pick up the TUC comparison category against every other team except Princeton when we hit 10 games. Since we're already winning every PWR comparison without even taking TUCs into account...

Let's say Yale and SLU both end up as TUCs, giving us 6 more regular season games against TUCs. Assuming that we end up with the #1 seed in the ECAC tourney, our 2nd round games will be against (at best) the #8 ECAC team, who will not be a TUC. Assuming we make it to Albany, though, those teams almost certainly will be TUCs, so that's a total of 8 more TUC games. To maintain our current .786 clip, we'd have to go 6-1-1 in those games (5-1-2 is .750). Even if we did slightly worse than that, we're so far ahead of most teams in TUC that we'll still take the TUC point to solidify the comparison.

This is actually a little bit more margin than I though we had - I was expecting to find out that we really couldn't afford to drop any TUC games, and am pleasantly surprised to find that we can. But let's also not kid ourselves that going 6-1-1 in our remaining TUC games (including 2 at Albany) is any sort of cake walk, either. Still, it's getting to the point in the season where you really have to start thinking that Cornell really does have a good shot at a #1 seed, if not the #1 overall.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 11:50AM

Jim Hyla
Killer
lynah80

Well, I'd find a new trainer. ASA and beer, great combo, if you want to have a bleeding ulcer that is.
Out of curiosity, if one were to want to take painkillers and then go out drinking, what painkiller would be the best choice?

Posted by: ganderson (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 12:02PM

To get the most bang for your buck, you want to give blood, THEN take a couple Asprin and go drinking. It is... most impressive.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2009 12:12PM

Josh '99
Out of curiosity, if one were to want to take painkillers and then go out drinking, what painkiller would be the best choice?

There is no such thing as a pharmaceutical painkiller with which it's safe to drink alcohol. Sometimes the damage you're risking is more of a long-term nature, like the liver damage you can get from mixing alcohol with acetaminophen (Tylenol), so you won't feel it the next day or the next week, but it's still a risk.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 18, 2009 12:14PM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Killer
lynah80

Tylenol, as far as over-the-counter meds. ASA, Advil, and Aleve (and their generic equivalents) can all bother the stomach, as can EtOH, and they all inhibit platelets. Platelets are blood clotting cells, so inhibiting them increases the chance of bleeding.drunkhelp

Date: January 18, 2009 12:18PM

Beeeej
Josh '99

There is no such thing as a pharmaceutical painkiller with which it's safe to drink alcohol. Sometimes the damage you're risking is more of a long-term nature, like the liver damage you can get from mixing alcohol with acetaminophen (Tylenol), so you won't feel it the next day or the next week, but it's still a risk.
Well, you'd need to take a lot of Tylenol for this to be a real issue. Taking 2 Tylenol and then going drinking is not a sig more risk than just going drinking. So if you need a painkiller, use Tylenol.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 04:07PM

Jim Hyla
Well, you'd need to take a lot of Tylenol for this to be a real issue
That's not as clear as you make it sound.

[www.straightdope.com]

Date: January 18, 2009 05:26PM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Well, you'd need to take a lot of Tylenol for this to be a real issue
That's not as clear as you make it sound.

[www.straightdope.com]
Yes it is. These people all took sig doses of Tylenol, not 2 ESTylenol (2-500mg). And they were generally chronic alcoholics. So it is still safe to take 2 ESTylenol and go drinking. And of course, nothing is 100% safe, not even walking out your back door.

And the question was what painkiller would be the best choice, not which has no problems.

Date: January 18, 2009 10:46PM

Jim Hyla
And the question was what painkiller would be the best choice, not which has no problems.
NSAIDs/COX-2 inhibitors are fine, in that they have no specific alcohol interaction issues. I don't know anything about aspirin, having never taken it myself.

I think it's prudent to avoid acetaminophen with alcohol because most people simply don't know if they're one of the people who will have an especially hard time metabolizing both at the same time. Most people who mix the two will be fine; but why tempt fate? Live with the headacheknee pain, or choose another drug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 10:46PM by Kyle Rose.

Re: TUCs
Posted by: Ken70 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 11:28PM

I think you're being a bit optimistic. St Cloud isn't playing well and has a tough remaining schedule. Quinnipiac is only .01 RPI points ahead of MN State.

This is now conference time, with few NC games for any team. As the marginal TUC teams in the ECAC play each other over the next 7 weeks, and given the RPI emphasis on OO records, all the ECAC teams including Cornell will gradually sink in RPI. Best thing to hope for is the Q and Dartmouth finishing strong along with St Cloud and UMASS, and either Union or St Lawrence. Then if things break right we'll get a couple TUCs in Allbany. But it could be very, very close. Given the strength of Hockey East and the WCHA don't be surprised to see Mass-Lowell or UMass, along with MN State, knock the likes of Union, St. Lawrence or the Q out of TUC.

Date: January 19, 2009 12:39AM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
NSAIDs/COX-2 inhibitors are fine, in that they have no specific alcohol interaction issues. I don't know anything about aspirin, having never taken it myself.
Well, NSAIDs are not fine. ASA is an NSAID, and like all NSAIDs, except the one COX-2 Celebrex (not available except by Rx, so I don't think it applies here), all of them can interact with EtOH to cause GI upset. As I posted before they also all inhibit blood clotting. That is a bad thing if you develop stomach bleeding. Stomach problems from NSAIDs, with or without EtOH, are far more likely than liver problems from 2 Tylenol.

In medicine we don't deal in absolutes, although some lawyers would like you to believe that; we deal in likeliness. In this case I still feel strongly that 2 Tylenol with EtOH is a much safer combination.

Re: Cornell moves to #1 in KRACH and Pairwise, now #2 at INCH
Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: January 19, 2009 12:56AM

BU just dropped to #3 at INCH, with Cornell moving up to #2 (1/19/09). INCH must have been disappointed by the PC loss, despite the win over BC and the amazing recovery of Matt Gilroy.

I wonder how injured Gilroy's shoulder really was in the Merrimack game. Jack Parker (BU coach) said it was separated but he seems to have trouble keeping the details straight. Here's a quote from CHN:

"Players should be protected and I haven't seen it done all year. A few minutes into the game we have a guy take a hit from behind, right in the numbers, and there doesn't seem to be any consequence (note: there was a five-minute major and a misconduct to Merrimack's Mickey Rego). My two guys got cold-cocked. Vicious runs by the opposition. There is no (expletive) need for that whatsoever, and they got two-minute penalties."

I don't want to belittle Gilroy's injury, but I do question Parker's credibility.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2009 01:10AM by lynah80.

Date: January 19, 2009 01:30AM

Air Force seems to be eager to make room for someone in the top 25, with their zero point weekend against Canisius.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2009 01:31AM by lynah80.

Date: January 19, 2009 07:07AM

Jim Hyla
As I posted before they also all inhibit blood clotting. That is a bad thing if you develop stomach bleeding. Stomach problems from NSAIDs, with or without EtOH, are far more likely than liver problems from 2 Tylenol.
Hmmm... my understanding was that the COX-1 inhibition effect of NSAIDs allowed stomach acid to break down the lining of the stomach *over time*, but that one-time (or even several-time) use was not really an issue. Perhaps I've been edumucated wrong.

Date: January 19, 2009 10:32AM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
As I posted before they also all inhibit blood clotting. That is a bad thing if you develop stomach bleeding. Stomach problems from NSAIDs, with or without EtOH, are far more likely than liver problems from 2 Tylenol.
Hmmm... my understanding was that the COX-1 inhibition effect of NSAIDs allowed stomach acid to break down the lining of the stomach *over time*, but that one-time (or even several-time) use was not really an issue. Perhaps I've been edumucated wrong.

No, you are essentially correct. It's very unlikely that a single use of an NSAID will cause stomach bleeding, just like it's exceedingly unlikely, that 2 Tylenol will cause liver failure. However, since you brought up Tylenol causing liver failure, I felt it necessary to reemphasize that GI problems from NSAIDs are far more likely than liver failure from Tylenol.

My point is NSAIDs and EtOH are far more likely to cause problems than Tylenol and EtOH. However neither are likely to cause problems with a single use. That's why they are over-the-counter drugs, they are all relatively safe. But for me, I'd take a Tylenol if I were going to use EtOh.

Posted by: Ken70 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2009 12:54PM

How is a conference winner, AF in this case, handled as to TUC at season end. Even if their 30th in the RPI are they treated as one of the 25 TUCs because they're going to the dance?

Date: January 19, 2009 12:59PM

Ken70
How is a conference winner, AF in this case, handled as to TUC at season end. Even if their 30th in the RPI are they treated as one of the 25 TUCs because they're going to the dance?
No, they are not considered a TUC. They used to be, but that was changed a couple years ago - one of the many tweaks to the PWR *process* because of an undesirable *outcome*...

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: January 19, 2009 02:02PM

Would you guys give this up already? You're driving me crazy nut

The whole point of the story was that the prescription was beer, not painkillers. BEER!!!! drunk

Date: January 19, 2009 02:19PM

Robb
Ken70
No, they are not considered a TUC. They used to be, but that was changed a couple years ago - one of the many tweaks to the PWR *process* because of an undesirable *outcome*...

Air Force also dropped out of first place in Atlantic Hockey.

RIT 13-4-1
A F 12-3-1

As of 1/19/09

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2009 09:00PM

lynah80
RIT 13-4-1
A F 12-3-1

As of 1/19/09

banana

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2009 09:01PM by jtwcornell91.

Date: January 19, 2009 10:00PM

Killer

The whole point of the story was that the prescription was beer, not painkillers. BEER!!!! drunk
But you're learning something, aren't you?idea

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 12:20AM

jtwcornell91
lynah80
RIT 13-4-1
A F 12-3-1

As of 1/19/09

banana

Whatever, newbie.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2009 08:51AM

Jim Hyla
Killer

Between this and the discussion in the Polls thread, I'm learning that some discussions can be skimmed. :-}

So... Tylenol, then? :-D

Date: January 20, 2009 09:14AM

Josh '99
And Beer. Lots and lots of beer. drunk

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2009 10:30AM

lynah80
Air Force also dropped out of first place in Atlantic Hockey.

RIT 13-4-1
A F 12-3-1

As of 1/19/09

... although Air Force still has two games in hand and currently leads in win percentage, .781 to .750.

BOO, painkillers. Hooray, BEER! drunk

(or deadhorse )

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 03:21PM

Robb
Josh '99
I thought that generally went without saying.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: January 20, 2009 03:53PM

Jim Hyla
Killer

I wish that were the case. But the combination a few years back of a lot of cycling, a sore knee (yeah, probably that old rugby injury), diverticula, and Extra Strength Anacin taught me just about all I ever need to know regarding NSAIDs, platelets, etc.

(All - recommend that you don't PM me for details)

Date: January 22, 2009 01:42AM

Dartmouth tied Holy Cross tonight, which didn't help.

Anyway, the current predicted brackets look like this:

[www.uscho.com]
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2009 02:28AM by lynah80.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 02:12AM

Josh '99
Robb
Josh '99
I thought that generally went without saying.

I don't think even the most inane of concepts go without saying on ELF.

Date: January 22, 2009 03:20AM

lynah80

[www.uscho.com]
I'd take it. Let's start the NCAAs this weekend.

Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 22, 2009 09:24AM

Jim Hyla
lynah80

[www.uscho.com]

C'mon ECAC. We're gonna step it up and have more than two teams there right?

Date: January 22, 2009 09:58AM

Oat
Jim Hyla
lynah80

[www.uscho.com]

All other things being equal, with the current numbers that would require someone other than Cornell or Princeton to win the ECAC tournament. And since we're entering the in-conference-only stretch of the season, the ECAC's numbers aren't likely to change all that much without some serious external help.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 22, 2009 04:45PM

Beeeej
Oat
Jim Hyla
lynah80

[www.uscho.com]

All other things being equal, with the current numbers that would require someone other than Cornell or Princeton to win the ECAC tournament. And since we're entering the in-conference-only stretch of the season, the ECAC's numbers aren't likely to change all that much without some serious external help.

Well, there's still the Beanpot. crazy

Date: January 22, 2009 05:37PM

Swampy
Beeeej
Oat
Jim Hyla
lynah80

[www.uscho.com]

Since it would probably take an act of God to cause an ECAC win there, I guess that qualifies as "serious external help."whistle

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 22, 2009 06:28PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Swampy
Beeeej
Oat
Jim Hyla
lynah80

[www.uscho.com]

Well, the new Messiah did go to Hahvahd Law...

Since it would probably take an act of God to cause an ECAC win there, I guess that qualifies as "serious external help."whistle

Date: January 22, 2009 08:42PM

KeithK
Jeff Hopkins '82
Swampy
Beeeej
Oat
Jim Hyla
lynah80

[www.uscho.com]

Well, the new Messiah did go to Hahvahd Law...

I thought he plays basketball, not hockey. ("Two minutes for an illegal screen, but you can give yourself a pardon .";)

Posted by: lynah80 (---.med.upenn.edu)
Date: January 24, 2009 02:02AM

The loss to Yale cost Cornell a lot in RPI and TUC. Yale is now in the top 25, so the Big Red moves to 0.582 and 4-2-1 (0.643). Still, there are a lot of games left. Hopefully, the team will bounce back strongly against Brown. It's unfortunate that Jordan Berk left, with two defensemen (Kreuger and Davenport) questionable for the game.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 02:28AM by lynah80.

Date: January 24, 2009 11:43PM

3 Point weekend for St. Cloud against CC.
4-4
6-1

That will move St. Cloud up somewhat.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 11:49PM by lynah80.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 10:07AM

Interesting twists to the pairwise now. Yale makes the tournament, and as a host, gets a favorable location no less!

[www.uscho.com]

Of course, 6+ more weeks to play.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 10:52AM

NoDak movin' on up in the WCHA.whistle

Date: February 01, 2009 10:53AM

Chris 02
Interesting twists to the pairwise before last night's games. Yale makes the tournament, and as a host, gets a favorable location no less!

[www.uscho.com]

FYP. That bracketology was based on a PWR where we were tied for third; now we're tied for fourth after Saturday's games.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 12:29PM

Beeeej
Chris 02
Interesting twists to the pairwise before last night's games. Yale makes the tournament, and as a host, gets a favorable location no less!

[www.uscho.com]

FYP. That bracketology was based on a PWR where we were tied for third; now we're tied for fourth after Saturday's games.

Yeah, after last night, if you're playing at home, I think we would be in Minneapolis playing UMD. Michigan vs. Minnesota would be the other game.

Woohoo! Let's hear it for big (home) ice and fast teams!

PS Just imagine the hemming and hawing if we were to remain a #1 seed and Yale and Princeton were to drop to #13 and #14. [Rubs hands gleefully.] If the #1 seeds were the same as now, (1) we would be playing Air Force or Niagara, (2) we would have to be placed in Manchester, and (3) Vermont would be cata-paulted out to Minneapolis, even though a higher seed.

EDIT: Well, I suppose we could play Air Force or Niagara in Minneapolis, but, still, imagine the grousing from all sides...
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 12:37PM by Scersk '97.

Date: February 01, 2009 12:42PM

If UMass wins today, they will remain a TUC, which will keep Cornell at 6-3 going into next weekend. A Cornell win against Princeton may gave them 10 TUC, but will not move them up against BU, NDame or Vermont. However, it will keep them ahead of Michigan.

Ironically, we should be rooting for Harvard in the Beanpot.

Date: February 01, 2009 12:47PM

lynah80
No, we almost always should root for Harvard in the Beanpot. The whole league knows that. That's why they arranged the schedule so they don't play on Sat. before.

Date: February 01, 2009 12:51PM

Jim Hyla
lynah80
No, we almost always should root for Harvard in the Beanpot. The whole league knows that. That's why they arranged the schedule so they don't play on Sat. before.

Agreed. Nothing ironic about it. Go Cantabs!!

Ugh. I just threw up in my mouth a little.yark

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 12:55PM

Sorry, it took my nose a couple of seconds to find the more interesting scenario.

Yale hosts Bridgeport and UNH hosts Manchester. So, imagine the seeds as:

1  BU   16  Ni
2  ND   15  AF
3  Vt   14  NH  (switch) 13  Ya  ---> Bridgeport
4  Cr   13  Ya           14  NH  ---> Manchester

So, the committee would be faced with shipping BU out West to face Air Force or Niagara or keeping them east to play a high seed closer to home. Oh, the humanity!

Of course, what would happen is that Vermont would get shipped out West and we would get sent to Manchester, OR the committee would magically waive all the rules and we would somehow end up in Minnesota playing them in the first round.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: February 01, 2009 01:05PM

Jim Hyla
lynah80
Rooting for Harvard in anything is always ironic.

Date: February 01, 2009 02:04PM

Jim Hyla
That's why they arranged the schedule so they don't play on Sat. before.
To which can be attributed Harvard's sterling Beanpot record. Oh, wait...

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 02:11PM

Jim Hyla
lynah80
No, we almost always should root for Harvard in the Beanpot.
Pass. I'll take the PWR consequences in exchange for Harvard's hilarious futility.

Date: February 01, 2009 07:46PM

UMass lost, so forget the 10 TUC's for a while.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 11:24PM

Robb
Jim Hyla
lynah80
Rooting for Harvard in anything is always ironic.
Root for them to get insider-buying privileges on the Madoff funds. Talk about a self-cleaning oven.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 11:55AM

Current Bracketology is up at USCHO.

The part we would be interested in:

West Regional (Minneapolis)
13 North Dakota vs. 4 Cornell
10 Minnesota vs. 7 Miami

Date: February 07, 2009 02:12PM

Robb

Right now, we're 5-1-1 against TUCs, with wins against (in RPI): #8 (Princeton), #15 (Dartmouth), #19 (SCSU), #21 (NoDak), and #24 (SLU), with our Tie against #16 (Quinnipiac). I think we can all remember the only team we lost to so far. :)

Tonight's game will have a lot of significance for TUC and RPI. Also, with Northeastern it could help for COP.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 02:39PM

lynah80
Robb

Tonight's game will have a lot of significance for TUC and RPI. Also, with Northeastern it could help for COP.

It's also worth noting that UMass and QU are lurking at 27 and 29 in RPI. If either can crack the T-25 tonight, Cornell will hit 10 TUC games.

Looking at the four teams currently winning comparisons with Cornell, it won't take much to take the NU comparison. That's pretty much up to Cornell. Tonight's game and the game vs. RPI are marginally important.

BU is pretty well unassailable. Barring a collapse, they've got that comparison. It would take the right playoff matchups to take CoP or TUC. And it's tough to make up a big RPI difference in ECAC play.

UVm is really similar to Cornell. Cornell needs wins vs. RPI and @ Dartmouth or help from the Cats.

Notre Dame is close in TUC but needs to do some losing to come back down in RPI. The only COP is Union and both teams are 1-0. Cornell has to win that one at Lynah to keep that a draw.

At the end of the day Cornell's gotta flip at least one of these for a #1 seed in March. It's probably best to root for BU on Monday against NU since there's almost no way the BU/CU comparison flips.

Big(ger) games for Cornell's PWR:
vs. PU
@ Dartmouth
vs. Union
vs. RPI
@ Yale

Rooting interests:
Boo:
UVm
NU
ND
And to a lesser extent:
Alaska
AFA*
UNO*
Mankato*

Go:
Cornell
QU
UMass
SCSU
NoDak

*It helps CU's RPI that these teams are good (OOWP) but it also helps that they be replaced in the RPI T-25 by teams CU has had success against.

Feel free to nitpick this analysis. I'm sure there are mistakes.

Date: February 07, 2009 03:13PM

Chris '03
At the end of the day Cornell's gotta flip at least one of these for a #1 seed in March.

Unless Cornell is one of the top two in the east, being a #1 seed almost guarantees a trip west. Right now Cornell would be the #4 overall and is behind BU (#1) and Vermont (#3) which is why they get sent to Minneapolis. If the rumor that the NCAA is going to cut down on travel this year is true then dropping to a #2 seed might be better from a fan's perspective.

Also, Jason Moy's current brackets have Miami in both the West and Midwest regions while Northeastern is completely missing.

Date: February 07, 2009 03:27PM

nyc94
Chris '03
At the end of the day Cornell's gotta flip at least one of these for a #1 seed in March.

Unless Cornell is one of the top two in the east, being a #1 seed almost guarantees a trip west. Right now Cornell would be the #4 overall and is behind BU (#1) and Vermont (#3) which is why they get sent to Minneapolis. If the rumor that the NCAA is going to cut down on travel this year is true then dropping to a #2 seed might be better from a fan's perspective.

Also, Jason Moy's current brackets have Miami in both the West and Midwest regions while Northeastern is completely missing.

It could come down to where Yale and UNH fall too. As hosts, they are going to Bridgeport and Manchester no matter what if they make it. The question is where in the bracket they fall and how the other seeds rotate around them. Though if you signed me up for UVM/CU/??/Yale in Bridgeport tight now, I take it. If Yale moves into a 3 seed position that boxes Cornell out of Bridgeport unless it's a 1.

There's plenty of hockey left but there are too many scenarios that have Cornell heading west again for my liking...

Date: February 07, 2009 03:48PM

Chris '03
It could come down to where Yale and UNH fall too. As hosts, they are going to Bridgeport and Manchester no matter what if they make it.

Very true. It would be interesting to see what they would do if UNH dropped to a #4 seed and BU and UVM remain as #1 seeds (or Northeastern moves up). The higher team would go to Bridgeport to get the 15 or 16 team. Do they send the other to Manchester and an intraconference game in the first round? Anyway, long way to go.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2009 04:05PM by nyc94.

Date: February 07, 2009 03:50PM

nyc94

10 Minnesota vs. 7 Miami
The only good thing about this is that we might have Minny on our side for the first game. Thus, we might get to play the cowbell. Otherwise, it's terrible. I'd take a second seed any day over this.

Posted by: marty (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 04:32PM

Jim Hyla
nyc94

10 Minnesota vs. 7 Miami
The only good thing about this is that we might have Minny on our side for the first game. Thus, we might get to play the cowbell. Otherwise, it's terrible. I'd take a second seed any day over this.

Jim,

Wasn't it at Minnesota that they put you up against the wall after being frustrated during their search for the cowbell? Was that a different arena?

Date: February 07, 2009 11:53PM

marty
Jim Hyla
nyc94

10 Minnesota vs. 7 Miami

Jim,

Wasn't it at Minnesota that they put you up against the wall after being frustrated during their search for the cowbell? Was that a different arena?
Indeed it was.flipd

Date: February 10, 2009 01:55AM

With the Beanpot win, BU goes to 0.6037 rpi, 14-3-1 TUC, and 4-1/5-2 COP vs Cornell. They are opening a gap with the competition (Notre Dame split with Ohio State). They have two games against UMass at the end of the month, which could be beneficial to Cornell, but they are looking very strong right now.

Date: February 10, 2009 08:07AM

lynah80
With the Beanpot win, BU goes to 0.6037 rpi, 14-3-1 TUC, and 4-1/5-2 COP vs Cornell. They are opening a gap with the competition (Notre Dame split with Ohio State). They have two games against UMass at the end of the month, which could be beneficial to Cornell, but they are looking very strong right now.

Both teams looked to be playing on a much higher level than Cornell. BU in particular looked very very good. If Cornell played BU tomorrow they'd lose big.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.jsc.nasa.gov)
Date: February 10, 2009 09:59AM

How did Clarkson get a single 20th place vote this past week in the meaningless poll?

[www.uscho.com]

Date: February 17, 2009 06:55PM

I don't know if this is common knowledge at eLynah, but the NCAA has added a new component to the final 16 bracket:

"The only other change to this year's bracket from last is that a team must have a .500 record or better to qualify. The "rule" was implemented last summer by the committee, in the aftermath of Wisconsin qualifying with an at-large bid despite being sub-.500."

Also, the regionalization mandate will not take effect this year.

see:

[www.collegehockeynews.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 06:56PM by lynah80.

Date: February 17, 2009 07:22PM

So we've come full circle. They should have never gotten rid of the .500 requirement when they traded it for an RPI cutoff. Havign both makes sense.

Date: February 17, 2009 07:39PM

KeithK
So we've come full circle. They should have never gotten rid of the .500 requirement when they traded it for an RPI cutoff. Havign both makes sense.
Exactly right. A team that doesn't win half its games doesn't deserve to compete for the national championship.

[Should apply to the ECAC tournament as well, IMHO.idea]

Date: February 17, 2009 09:04PM

Al DeFlorio
[Should apply to the ECAC tournament as well, IMHO.idea]
Please don't spin me up Al. No one wants to read my rants on the subject. :-)

Re: Cornell dropping in KRACH and Pairwise
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 09:10PM

Just curious, does anyone else out there want the title of this thread changed (or a new one started).

The last three weekends have caused us to tumble from that lofty position.

Okay, I'll stop nit-picking for now. ;-)

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 09:47PM

Rita
Just curious, does anyone else out there want the title of this thread changed (or a new one started).

The last three weekends have caused us to tumble from that lofty position.

I have been thinking the same thing whenever I open this thread. Unfortunately, it should more accurately read "falls" from #1, #3, #6, etc. Hopefully this freefall will stop and turn back around a few spots before the end of the season.

Date: February 18, 2009 12:01AM

Okay, I gave the thread a neutral title. Let's hope that Cornell turns things around though. 19-6-4 is very do-able, I think.

Date: February 18, 2009 12:19AM

lynah80
Okay, I gave the thread a neutral title. Let's hope that Cornell turns things around though. 19-6-4 is very do-able, I think.

Thank you. **]

Predicted Brackets - Feb 17
Date: February 18, 2009 01:12AM

From the New Haven Register 2/17/09

BRACKETOLOGY

East Regional - (Bridgeport, Conn.)

No. 1 Northeastern vs. No. 4 Minnesota-Duluth
No. 2 Yale vs. No. 3 North Dakota

Northeast Regional - (Manchester, N.H.)

No. 1 Boston University vs. No. 4 Niagara
No. 2 Denver vs. No. 3 New Hampshire

Midwest Regional - (Grand Rapids, Mich.)

No. 1 Michigan vs. No. 4 RIT
No. 2 Miami-Ohio vs. No. 3 Princeton

West Regional - (Minneapolis, Minn.)

No. 1 Vermont vs. No. 4 Minnesota
No. 2 Notre Dame vs. No. 3 Cornell
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 01:15AM by lynah80.

Re: Predicted Brackets - Feb 17
Posted by: BCrespi (---.environcorp.com)
Date: February 18, 2009 10:06AM

lynah80

BRACKETOLOGY

Goo. Let's win some more hockey games, eh?

Re: Predicted Brackets - Feb 17
Date: February 18, 2009 10:24AM

BCrespi
lynah80

BRACKETOLOGY

Goo. Let's win some more hockey games, eh?

Or lose some more. Whatever puts CU in the same band as the goofers spares them a trip west.

Re: Cornell in Pairwise and KRACH
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.jsc.nasa.gov)
Date: February 20, 2009 09:49AM

I posted this on the ECAC standings thread, but it also is relevant to this thread. Interesting statistical analysis of the remainder of the season and one website's take on who makes the NCAAs.

[www.playoffstatus.com]

Date: February 20, 2009 12:05PM

Chris 02
I posted this on the ECAC standings thread, but it also is relevant to this thread. Interesting statistical analysis of the remainder of the season and one website's take on who makes the NCAAs.

[www.playoffstatus.com]

I was surprised to see a "NCAA Tournament Seatings" link.

Someone has a lot of time on their hands to figure out where teams will be sitting. ;-)

Based on these calculations, Cornell has a better than 50% chance of sitting on the couch! help

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 20, 2009 12:13PM

Chris 02
Interesting statistical analysis of the remainder of the season and one website's take on who makes the NCAAs.

[www.playoffstatus.com]
Excellent site.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 20, 2009 05:51PM

I'm usually a "just play the game" type* - you have to beat good teams to win a championship - but I wouldn't relish playing Notre Dame in the first round.

Getting to the tourney would be nice, at this rate. :-)

* Note: I do not, however, yell "drop the puck!"

Date: February 21, 2009 01:00PM

[disclaimer]The seedings will change a dozen times before the tournament but...[/disclaimer]

I you look at this morning's PWR, With Yale in the 2-band, and UHN, Princeton and us all in the 3-band, the committee puts Yale in Bridgeport and UHN in Manchester, and both Princeton and us are going west.

The good news: Minnesota is no longer in the tournament. Tee hee. ::schadenfreude smiley::

Gotta admit I wouldn't mind playing at Mariucci as much if the goofers aren't there. flipc

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 21, 2009 02:29PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
The good news: Minnesota is no longer in the tournament. Tee hee. ::schadenfreude smiley::

Gotta admit I wouldn't mind playing at Mariucci as much if the goofers aren't there. flipc
Thanks Jeff! All disclaimers aside that thought just made my morning. :-)

Posted by: marty (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 21, 2009 03:31PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
[disclaimer]The seedings will change a dozen times before the tournament but...[/disclaimer]

I you look at this morning's PWR, With Yale in the 2-band, and UHN, Princeton and us all in the 3-band, the committee puts Yale in Bridgeport and UHN in Manchester, and both Princeton and us are going west.

I wouldn't mind playing at Mariucci myself but I can barely skate around the damn rink after I lace up the skates. Speaking of which my wife and I made a date for some open skating next week (after enjoying the view from section O last night).

LGR!

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2009 03:35PM

The Mariucci Cowbell Police probably have been alerted to be on the lookout for Cornell fans. Just in case. The probably get in the right frame of mind by doing tech support for the cable company.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login