Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

weekend recap

Posted by HockeyMan 
weekend recap
Posted by: HockeyMan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 12:20PM

A great comeback after Friday's shocker--even if last night's game got distressingly tight late in the third. Hats off to Barlow, who was flying out there on Sat and Sun (after a poor first game), and to the Nash bros. Greening was held off the scoresheet but was a beast again last night. Great work, too, by the third and fourth lines, keeping (a much improved) RPI bottled up for long stretches.

I've been hard on B. Nash in the past, but he had a very good series. And Ross to my mind is turning into a terrific blueline presence. Loved the way he pinched in to score the third goal.

Anyone know the status of Gallagher? How bad is the injury?

Re: weekend recap
Posted by: releck97 (170.158.3.---)
Date: March 16, 2009 12:47PM

I'm with you re: B. Nash. I've jumped all over him in the past, but he was quite impressive this weekend (esp. Sunday). Gallagher has a bad high ankle sprain.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.182.252.64.snet.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 06:05PM

Not too much to complain about this weekend, except the officiating, which I think Coach Schafer has covered.

Great games by Barlow, and credit Scrivens and the D for only giving up 3 even strength goals in 3 games.

One thing I might like to see next weekend is Nash and Greening back together. We only managed 1 goal in each game against P this year, and I don't think we can count on another goal from Mugford. Against the RPI defense, all of our lines looked like offensive threats, including the checking line. Against Princeton, however, I think we might have some trouble scoring.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 06:14PM

ebilmes
One thing I might like to see next weekend is Nash and Greening back together. We only managed 1 goal in each game against P this year, and I don't think we can count on another goal from Mugford. Against the RPI defense, all of our lines looked like offensive threats, including the checking line. Against Princeton, however, I think we might have some trouble scoring.
Which raises the usual question: is it better to have one standout line or several balanced lines? In the long run I think you're probably better off with balanced ascoring. Makes it harder for the other team to match up against and neutralize your scorers. But if we find ourselves down late in a playoff game then maybe you change things up to double shift your best offensive guys.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 06:29PM

KeithK
ebilmes
Which raises the usual question: is it better to have one standout line or several balanced lines? In the long run I think you're probably better off with balanced ascoring. Makes it harder for the other team to match up against and neutralize your scorers. But if we find ourselves down late in a playoff game then maybe you change things up to double shift your best offensive guys.
Agree.rock

Posted by: ebilmes (---.182.252.64.snet.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 06:35PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
Agree.rock

But it seems to me that in a playoff game you have to have this sense of urgency from the start. We should be able to match up lines pretty well since we'll be home.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 06:50PM

ebilmes
But it seems to me that in a playoff game you have to have this sense of urgency from the start. We should be able to match up lines pretty well since we'll be home.
I don't agree. I think you want to play your game and play it well. But then I just finished saying that I think you're better off with balanced scoring lines. If you think differently then you'd come to a different conclusion.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 08:33PM

KeithK
ebilmes
I don't agree. I think you want to play your game and play it well. But then I just finished saying that I think you're better off with balanced scoring lines. If you think differently then you'd come to a different conclusion.

The options will be reduced without Gallagher. Did anyone see what happened between him and Uryadov on the faceoff where Gallagher got hurt? Mike has been tight lipped about that (and in general all injuries this year). I respect that; the team has its right to privacy. If he really does have a high ankle sprain (an unconfirmed rumor), Cornell would be lucky to get him back for any games this season. Maybe Joe Devin will be healthy enough to play in Albany.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2009 08:46PM by lynah80.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:15PM

Is the faceoff that Gallagher got injured on the one that happened at or near center ice, where the Cornell player (I don't recall if it was Gallagher or not) went down very awkwardly before the puck was dropped? If that was the one, somehow I missed the fact that he left the ice.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:19PM

andyw2100
Is the faceoff that Gallagher got injured on the one that happened at or near center ice, where the Cornell player (I don't recall if it was Gallagher or not) went down very awkwardly before the puck was dropped? If that was the one, somehow I missed the fact that he left the ice.

No, it was at the dot right in front of A/B.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:43PM

He got twisted on the faceoff.. hard to tell if his skate stuck, but he also was being pulled by the RPI dude which didnt help..

I was told out for the year.. now whether that means 3-4 weeks from now I didnt really get an answer. he tried to give it a go for sunday but couldnt feel anything in his ankle.

Date: March 16, 2009 10:49PM

HockeyMan
A great comeback after Friday's shocker--even if last night's game got distressingly tight late in the third. Hats off to Barlow, who was flying out there on Sat and Sun (after a poor first game), and to the Nash bros. Greening was held off the scoresheet but was a beast again last night. Great work, too, by the third and fourth lines, keeping (a much improved) RPI bottled up for long stretches.

I've been hard on B. Nash in the past, but he had a very good series. And Ross to my mind is turning into a terrific blueline presence. Loved the way he pinched in to score the third goal.

Anyone know the status of Gallagher? How bad is the injury?

You can watch Ross' goal here.

Those guys worked really hard for that goal. Ross must have decided to move in when he noticed Barlow and Seminoff were both back.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2009 11:00PM by lynah80.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:55PM

lynah80
Look at all the open ice behind him. I wonder what Mike thought about that play.
If you're going to pinch like that you'd better make it count. Fortunately he did.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2009 11:02PM

lynah80

The goal with the off-the-glass pass, also from last night, is fantastic - I hadn't heard about it:

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 16, 2009 11:03PM

KeithK
lynah80
Look at all the open ice behind him. I wonder what Mike thought about that play.
If you're going to pinch like that you'd better make it count. Fortunately he did.

I made a mistake. I think Barlow was back far enough for him to pinch in.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 01:18AM

Beeeej
The goal with the off-the-glass pass, also from last night, is fantastic - I hadn't heard about it:

Do you think that was a pass or just a shot that went high? Live I thought it was just a shot.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2009 08:12AM

KeithK
Beeeej

Do you think that was a pass or just a shot that went high? Live I thought it was just a shot.

I don't think it was an intentional pass, but it worked out that way. :)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 08:27AM

Beeeej
lynah80

Bonus points for the on-ice commentary.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login