Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

C.U. In Albany!!!! a.k.a. Albany Roll Call

Posted by Jeff Hopkins '82 
C.U. In Albany!!!! a.k.a. Albany Roll Call
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.166.11.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 10:43PM

I just had to start this thread!

Just bought my tickets. Officially section 119, row K. Unofficially, I'll be sitting in the Cornell section.

Let's Go Red!!!!

Re: C.U. In Albany!!!! a.k.a. Albany Roll Call
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2008 10:47PM

In all seriousness: I won't know until after Selection Sunday.

Plus I'm scheduled to be in court Friday morning, so it will depend partly on which game we get in Albany, which I also won't know until tomorrow night.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2008 11:22PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 10:55PM

Those are great seats! you should be in the west end neutral zone, upper 1/3 of section. You should keep 'em.

Date: March 15, 2008 11:20PM

TimV
Those are great seats! you should be in the west end neutral zone, upper 1/3 of section. You should keep 'em.

They're great seats, I know, but for me, half the fun of the tourney is going crazy with the Faithful. It's not quite the same sitting in the old folks section. It's like sitting in the Townie section at Lynah.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 11:23PM

My fiancee, Jaime, and I will be there. We'll plan on purchasing tickets from the Cornell ticket office again.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 11:26PM

Beeeej
So it will depend partly on which game we get in Albany, which I also won't know until tomorrow night.

I'd prefer having us play in the late game Friday. What has to happen with Sunday night's Game 3s for that to happen?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 11:27PM

Of course.:-}

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 11:30PM

dbilmes
Beeeej
So it will depend partly on which game we get in Albany, which I also won't know until tomorrow night.

I'd prefer having us play in the late game Friday. What has to happen with Sunday night's Game 3s for that to happen?

Hard to say for sure because top seed get to pick - so its up to what the Clarkson/Princeton/Harvard coaches would pick.

Typically the top seed picks the early game to get the most rest before the Sunday game - if all 3 top seeds lose and we end up at the top seed, history says that Schafer would certainly pick the early game.

Assuming that's true, then we want 1 or 2 (but not 0 or 3) of the top seeds to lose tomorrow. That would put us in the 2-3 game, which is likely to be the later game, but the top seed could not go that way.

Date: March 15, 2008 11:32PM

dbilmes
Beeeej

The early game will be #1 vs. #4, and the late game will be #2 vs. #3. If all the home teams win tomorrow, we'll be the lowest remaining seed, so we'll be in the early. If there's one upset or two, we'll be #3 or #2, therefore in the late. If all three visitors upset, we'll be the #1 seed and play early.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 15, 2008 11:32PM

dbilmes

I'd prefer having us play in the late game Friday. What has to happen with Sunday night's Game 3s for that to happen?[/quote

If nothing changes from the way this has been in the past, typically the 1 seed vs. 4 seed is the early game. I don't know if that's still because the 1 seed gets the choice, and always chooses this game so that they'll be a little better rested for the next night if they win, or if now it is just set by the league or something, but the last few times we've been there I believe this is how it has worked.

Of course all of the above could be wrong, so take this with the appropriate grain of salt until someone else confirms it.

Assuming the early game is the 1 vs. 4 then we will play the early game if either all the series upsets are completed tomorrow night (as the 1 seed), or if no more of them are (as the 4 seed.)

Date: March 15, 2008 11:33PM

DeltaOne81
dbilmes
Beeeej

Hard to say for sure because top seed get to pick - so its up to what the Clarkson/Princeton/Harvard coaches would pick.

No longer true - according to ECAC Hockey the #1 vs. #4 game will be the early game, period. No #1 seed discretion.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 15, 2008 11:35PM

I thought I read here sometime that they no longer bother to give the coaches a choice. The 1-4 game is always the early game and the 2-3 is always the late game.

Edit: Beeeej beat me to it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2008 11:36PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: March 15, 2008 11:35PM

(And by the way, just so y'all know, early is 4pm and late is 7pm. Same for Saturday; the consy is 4pm and the title game is 7pm.)

- Steve Worona

Date: March 15, 2008 11:37PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I thought I read here sometime that they no longer bother to give the coaches a choice. The 1-4 game is always the early game and the 2-3 is always the late game.

Edit: Beeeej beat me to it.

Beeeej beat me to my post too, although the time stamps are the same!

Date: March 15, 2008 11:51PM

DeltaOne81
dbilmes

Typically the top seed picks the early game to get the most rest before the Sunday game - if all 3 top seeds lose and we end up at the top seed, history says that Schafer would certainly pick the early game.

Assuming that's true, then we want 1 or 2 (but not 0 or 3) of the top seeds to lose tomorrow. That would put us in the 2-3 game, which is likely to be the later game, but the top seed could not go that way.

Look, I know a lot of you want the late game so your travels are easier, but I'm rooting for all visitors to win and we're the top seed. Why not be greedy and ask for what's best for the team.

Short of all losses, my first choice is Q to win, moving us to third to play Princeton. Any other losses are just gravy.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.host.starwoodhotels.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 12:32AM

In + a few

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 12:40AM

Probably in for (knock on wood) Sunday if we make it but I can't make it on Friday.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 12:58AM

I'll be there with Little Killer. Although, I think she's about 5' 9" now. Might need to suggest to her that she come up with a new moniker.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 01:14AM

Looking forward to another trip to the Capital District next weekend.

I assume tickets go on sale at the Cornell ticket office at 10am Monday?

Posted by: RichH (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 04:37AM

Heck...I'm already here! 3 blocks from the Times-Union Center. Drop the puck!

Oh wait. There's that whole week in between games. Damn. OK, well at least I have Friday as a holiday. (MA based company that has Patriots' Day off, but CT office takes Good Friday off instead). So whichever game...early or late...I'm there for.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 06:55AM

I'll be there. If I drive, I may even bring my kids, although I don't know whether a 6-hour car ride with two chatterbox 16 year old girls is survivable.

Posted by: Will (74.8.165.---)
Date: March 16, 2008 08:07AM

I'll be there, but probably not for the early game, so count me as one of the greedy ones who wants Cornell in the late game.

Posted by: sah67 (12.185.225.---)
Date: March 16, 2008 08:37AM

I'll be at both games with sen'08.

Buying my tickets from the ticket office tomorrow morning.

Posted by: sah67 (12.185.225.---)
Date: March 16, 2008 08:39AM

ugarte
Probably in for (knock on wood) Sunday if we make it but I can't make it on Friday.

Sunday eh? You helping the arena staff clean up after the Saturday games? ;)

Posted by: mha (74.8.165.---)
Date: March 16, 2008 11:22AM

That's always the risk you take! Our crew doesn't have tickets yet, but we'll be there... and I made the hotel reservation last night for downtown. Let's Go Red!

Date: March 16, 2008 06:10PM

sah67
ugarte
Probably in for (knock on wood) Sunday Saturday. if we make it but I can't make it on Friday.

Sunday eh? You helping the arena staff clean up after the Saturday games? ;)
Ahem. FMP.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 06:35PM

Hopefully we will have a large fan contingent (as always), because I don't think the band will be there.

Posted by: jaybert (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 06:46PM

why wont the band be there? transportation issue or what?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 06:47PM

Doug '08
Hopefully we will have a large fan contingent (as always), because I don't think the band will be there.

Last I heard there may be, it just might not be comprised of current undergraduates.

NCAA Tournament(s)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2008 06:48PM by Jordan 04.

Date: March 16, 2008 06:56PM

Jordan 04
Doug '08

Last I heard there may be, it just might not be comprised of current undergraduates.

NCAA Tournament(s)

good to hear that the bands will be somewhere. LGR!

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 07:13PM

I'll be there

Posted by: dbilmes (---.ded.snet.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 07:22PM

Jordan 04
Doug '08

NCAA Tournament(s)

Why can't the band play for the men's basketball team in Anaheim on Thursday and make it to Albany in time for a Friday night hockey game? They are a dedicated group!

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: March 16, 2008 07:25PM

dbilmes
Why can't the band play for the men's basketball team in Anaheim on Thursday and make it to Albany in time for a Friday night hockey game? They are a dedicated group!

Because the basketball team might win!!! rock

Date: March 16, 2008 07:26PM

dbilmes
Jordan 04
Doug '08

NCAA Tournament(s)

They are going to need to be there for Saturday's game! Chop down the Tree!

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 07:30PM

ugarte
dbilmes
Jordan 04
Doug '08

NCAA Tournament(s)

That doesn't actually answer dbilmes' question. The band can manage three transcontinental trips in as many days, right? ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2008 07:30PM by Will.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 07:31PM

Will
ugarte
dbilmes
Jordan 04
Doug '08

NCAA Tournament(s)

That doesn't actually answer dbilmes' question. The band can manage three transcontinental trips in as many days, right? ;)

I could be wrong, but I believe the NCAA decides when they travel (as they are the ones who pay).

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 07:54PM

dbilmes
Jordan 04
Doug '08

NCAA Tournament(s)

They may be dedicated but the time zones are against them. It's about 8 hours from LA to Albany with connections. Assuming they leave LA at 7 AM Friday, the best they're going to do is land in Albany at about 6 PM.

Unless our BBall game is early enough that they could catch a red-eye Thursday night...

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 08:16PM

Only 30 pep band members are being flown out (courtesy NC$$) to California for the bball game. This is somewhat speculative and not coming straight from the band manager that I think it would be within the band's budget to send a separate group to Albany for friday, but with spring break going on right now, it might be hard to make it happen. Complicating the issue is the fact that the band is pretty much required to hire transportation (e.g. a coach bus) to the event instead of letting people get their own rides there. Still, I hope there's enough dedication to hockey even within the remaining portion of the band to get a contingent to the ECACs.

Posted by: thorn (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 09:23PM

30 pep band members are going to California, but there's another band being sent to the women's game when that happens (separate from the other 30 people). I don't know anything more than that, but it looks like it would be really tight...

Date: March 16, 2008 11:06PM

Beeeej

Plus I'm scheduled to be in court Friday morning, so it will depend partly on which game we get in Albany, which I also won't know until tomorrow night.

I would like to revise and extend my remarks.

I'm still not sure, but it damn well looks a hell of a lot more likely now thanks to Anaheim and Colgate.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 16, 2008 11:06PM

not sure if i'm coming yet....but i booked a room at the clarion which should be right next door pretty much. According to the website i got the last 2 queen bed room.

EDIT: got a commitment from at least 1 friend, so will be there for sure. Looks like it was indeed the last 2 queen non-smoking @ clarion. pat on the back for me.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2008 11:53PM by jaybert.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 17, 2008 10:03AM

Just bought my tickets....Let's Go Red

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: March 17, 2008 10:14AM

Got mine as well. LGR! Oh, and Harvard Sucks!

Posted by: releck97 (170.158.3.---)
Date: March 17, 2008 10:57AM

8 townies (well, 4 adults and 4 kids) checking in for Friday. Interesting note though: Tix at $26.00 @ for all 8 through the Cornell tix office are still cheaper than 4 adult and 4 student tix through the Arena Box Office after their ridiculous service charge...

Student/Youth 119 M 1 $16.00

Student/Youth 119 M 2 $16.00

Student/Youth 119 M 3 $16.00

Student/Youth 119 M 4 $16.00

Adult 119 M 5 $25.00

Adult 119 M 6 $25.00

Adult 119 M 7 $25.00

Adult 119 M 8 $25.00

Service charge: $50.40

Order Processing: $3.35
SubTotal: $217.75

LGR!

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2008 11:19AM

The Cornell ticket office is selling section 118, so those of you with section 119 are closer to center ice. I took 118, Row F, which is supposed to be the sixth row of elevated seats, behind four rows of seats flat on the floor. (AA-DD, then A-S, according to the Times Union Box Office, with seat number 1 closest to Section 119.)

Date: March 17, 2008 12:39PM

Beeeej
Beeeej

I would like to revise and extend my remarks.

I'm still not sure, but it damn well looks a hell of a lot more likely now thanks to Anaheim and Colgate.

Oh, yes, I will be there.

Might not make it until the third period of the early game, but I'll be there for the late. Bless your buttons, Colgate.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2008 03:10PM

How can we miss this one? LGR.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 17, 2008 03:33PM

just bought my plane ticket, i'll be there.

Posted by: cmoberg (67.158.171.---)
Date: March 17, 2008 03:48PM

Beth and I will be there. She likes to stand so I got us seats behind the "standing student" rows in 118 (row B, not sure of the seat numbers).

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 17, 2008 03:57PM

Dad and I got tix in 118 behind the student section, which is just fine by me seeing as I'd rather have an excuse to stand. See you all Friday evening.

Kyle

Date: March 17, 2008 04:18PM

Ditto, 118 row C.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2008 06:04PM

Sect 119 with 5 others. Hey Roy- If I like yours better in row K can I take it?upto

Posted by: hboss902 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2008 10:03PM

Hey, does anybody know how I can get tickets around sections 118 or 119 online since I'm not on campus this week?

Date: March 17, 2008 10:06PM

hboss902
Hey, does anybody know how I can get tickets around sections 118 or 119 online since I'm not on campus this week?

I got mine by phone. The Cornell Ticket Office can be reached at 607-255-4247.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: hboss902 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2008 10:16PM

Cool thanks a lot. I'll be there with my dad (Class of '82) and my cousin (soon to be Class of '12). Let's Go Red!

Posted by: hugel (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2008 01:34AM

A mostly alumni band will definitely be there.

And with a charter plane to Anaheim, our travel plans may work out just right that current band members can get up to Albany in time, but no guarantees on that one.

Date: March 18, 2008 07:46AM

hugel
A mostly alumni band will definitely be there.

And with a charter plane to Anaheim, our travel plans may work out just right that current band members can get up to Albany in time, but no guarantees on that one.

wow...charter plane?!?? arent those something ridiculous like $200k?

Date: March 18, 2008 07:59AM

With the Women BBallers playing in Bridgeport on Sunday, whatever band they plan to use for that game can play at Albany and then drive to Bridgeport the next morning.

Re: C.U. In Albany!!!! I-95 traffic headache in Philly
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 18, 2008 09:46AM

FYI:
For those of you coming from Philly and points south, a 2-mile stretch of I-95 is temporarily closed for repair to a pillar.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: March 18, 2008 09:54AM

You can get that section also from Times Union Center Box Office.

Re: C.U. In Albany!!!! I-95 traffic headache in Philly
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: March 18, 2008 11:21AM

Rita
FYI:
For those of you coming from Philly and points south, a 2-mile stretch of I-95 is temporarily closed for repair to a pillar.

P.S. If you're taking 95 through Phily, you're going the wrong way ;). The magic of non-contiguous highway numberings.

Posted by: hockeychick470 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2008 11:59AM

FYI... I called the CU ticket office today and they're out of student tickets. I then called the Union Times Center and they could not give me 4 tickets together in 117, 118, 119, or 120.

I ended up with section 116 row A seats 1-4

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2008 12:43PM

hockeychick470
FYI... I called the CU ticket office today and they're out of student tickets. I then called the Union Times Center and they could not give me 4 tickets together in 117, 118, 119, or 120.

Sounds like a lot of Faithful will be there.banana

Date: March 18, 2008 03:45PM

Jim Hyla
hockeychick470

Sounds like a lot of Faithful will be there.banana

...or there will be a paltry number of Faithful there, scattered in singles and pairs, separated by blocks of three empty seats. dribble

- Steve Worona

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: March 18, 2008 04:09PM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight....nut

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 18, 2008 05:39PM

hockeychick470

Did you have any luck getting the TUC to look for all-session tickets in specific sections? They told me they could look for specific sections for separate tickets for each day, but not for tickets covering both days.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 18, 2008 05:50PM

Josh '99
Did you have any luck getting the TUC to look for all-session tickets in specific sections?
Can't we just call it the Knick?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 18, 2008 05:52PM

KeithK
Josh '99
Did you have any luck getting the TUC to look for all-session tickets in specific sections?
How silly it was of me to see a quick reply to my post and expect it to be something relevant. :-}

Posted by: hockeychick470 (198.24.31.---)
Date: March 18, 2008 06:39PM

Yeah they did. I initially told them the Cornell student section and they told me they didn't know where it was but if I knew where in the ring it was they could (and did) do it :D

Also, I have a question (that I think I know the answer to but I just wanna make sure) what is the fish protocol for playoffs?

LGR!!

Date: March 18, 2008 06:50PM

Josh '99
KeithK
Josh '99
How silly it was of me to see a quick reply to my post and expect it to be something relevant. :-}
Come on Josh. You know this forum community better than that. :-P

Date: March 18, 2008 06:51PM

hockeychick470
Yeah they did. I initially told them the Cornell student section and they told me they didn't know where it was but if I knew where in the ring it was they could (and did) do it :D

Also, I have a question (that I think I know the answer to but I just wanna make sure) what is the fish protocol for playoffs?

LGR!!

NONE,as in no fish. In fact that's true everywhere but Lynah. Now how is that for relevance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2008 06:53PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: hockeychick470 (198.24.31.---)
Date: March 18, 2008 06:53PM

Thats what I thought. Thanks!

Date: March 18, 2008 07:01PM

Jim Hyla
hockeychick470

LGR!!

NONE,as in no fish. In fact that's true everywhere but Lynah. Now how is that for relevance?
And newspapers don't get thrown on the ice after introductions either.

Date: March 18, 2008 07:52PM

KeithK
Jim Hyla
hockeychick470

LGR!!

And newspapers don't get thrown on the ice after introductions either.

And I'm glad you're back to relevance. :-P

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2008 09:14PM

To expand on what Jim said, if you have a stuffed fish (that is to say, a plush toy, not a salmon fillet stuffed with crabmeat) that you might want to hang from a fishing pole, or a poster with various types of fish on it, or something else that alludes to fish without ACTUALLY being a formerly living sea creature, that can be a good substitute.

But of course, nothing gets thrown on the ice anywhere other than Lynah. Rink staff aren't prepared for it anywhere else and it will get our team a penalty.

Date: March 18, 2008 09:24PM

Josh '99

But of course, nothing gets thrown on the ice anywhere other than Lynah. Rink staff aren't prepared for it anywhere else and it will get our team a penalty.

I am in no way disagreeing with the statement to not throw anything on the ice outside of Lynah. But unless I am mistaken the refs can only assess a penalty for items thrown on the ice (delay of game penalty) to the home team. The home team's rink staff is responsible for preventing all fans from throwing items on the ice. At a neutral site neither team could be assessed a penalty for what their fans might do.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2008 09:31PM

andyw2100
Josh '99

I am in no way disagreeing with the statement to not throw anything on the ice outside of Lynah. But unless I am mistaken the refs can only assess a penalty for items thrown on the ice (delay of game penalty) to the home team. The home team's rink staff is responsible for preventing all fans from throwing items on the ice. At a neutral site neither team could be assessed a penalty for what their fans might do.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I guess you could be right, but I have no desire to try it out and see what happens.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2008 09:33PM

Josh '99
Not a salmon fillet stuffed with crabmeat.

You are making me hungry.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2008 10:47PM

Josh '99
To expand on what Jim said, if you have a stuffed fish (that is to say, a plush toy, not a salmon fillet stuffed with crabmeat) that you might want to hang from a fishing pole, or a poster with various types of fish on it, or something else that alludes to fish without ACTUALLY being a formerly living sea creature, that can be a good substitute.

How about the small child dressed in a fish costume? Just don't throw the child out on the ice :-P

Posted by: sah67 (---.64.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: March 18, 2008 10:54PM

Josh '99
]I guess you could be right, but I have no desire to try it out and see what happens.

Aw come on...someone's gotta put on a Harvard shirt and throw crap on the ice. ;-)

But in all seriousness, how would that rule work at a neutral game site? How can they assess a penalty to either team? I assume the refs aren't going to jump up into the stands and interrogate the offender to determine what school they are supporting, and then correctly assess the penalty doh
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2008 10:55PM by sah67.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2008 10:57PM

Unfortunately, I can't make the Saturday games, but I will be there with my fiancee for the Harvard game. I called at 10 this morning and got the last two seats together in Section 119. We have Row P, 4 and 5. There was only one other seat in that section when I called.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 18, 2008 11:07PM

sah67
Josh '99
]I guess you could be right, but I have no desire to try it out and see what happens.

Aw come on...someone's gotta put on a Harvard shirt and throw crap on the ice. ;-)

Interesting idea. But you are running the risk of bursting into flames and going straight to hell (for wearing the Sucks shirt, that is, not the crap on the ice).

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 19, 2008 03:03AM

sah67
But in all seriousness, how would that rule work at a neutral game site? How can they assess a penalty to either team? I assume the refs aren't going to jump up into the stands and interrogate the offender to determine what school they are supporting, and then correctly assess the penalty doh
If the trash comes from the Cornell section I could imagine the refs assessing a penalty against Cornell, though I can't say whether that's strictly within their discretion. (Rule book anyone?) But even if you don't get a penalty there's nothing stopping the rink staff from tossing you. No sense getting thrown out and having to spend the evening in Albany.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2008 07:05AM

No idea about what the rulebook says, but if it clearly comes from one section associated with a known traditions of one school. Sure, there's the capability for it to be a massive trick, but, that wouldn't be easy to pull off in large enough quantities to draw a penalty.

Date: March 19, 2008 11:24AM

I believe that you could have 30 Harvard fans in Section O at Lynah (yes, I know that already makes this a completely unbelievable illustration, but bear with me, as it's going to get worse) all wearing matching Harvard shirts and matching Harvard caps all throw rubber chickens with the words "Cornell Sucks" written on them at a Cornell player as he skates in on a break-away, pelting him in the head with them (these imaginary Harvard fans have great arms), and the delay of game penalty would be called against Cornell.

I believe were the same thing to happen at a neutral site there would be no delay of game penalty.

Can Gary Glitter be far behind?
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2008 05:41PM

Movie at the Palace Theatre

(Albany NY)

Saturday Noon

~ "Free" movie showing of "Rocky" at the Palace Theatre for ECAC Hockey ticketholders. General public $5.

More Excitement Here

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2008 10:21PM

The penalty is "against offending fans’ team", without specifying how they are supposed to know it's not a faker.

Rule book
Interference by Spectators
SECTION 30. a. In the event that objects that interfere with the progress of the game are thrown onto the ice, the official shall blow the whistle and stop the play; and the puck shall be faced off at the spot where play is stopped.
Fans are not permitted to throw objects on the ice. At the discretion of the referee, a warning may be issued before the game.
b. Spectators are not permitted to use artificial noisemakers, air horns or electronic amplifiers while the game is in progress.
c. The band(s) shall not be allowed to play while the game is in progress.
PENALTIES—a. through c.—Warning or bench minor against offending fans’ team for delay of game.
It is the referee’s discretion, depending on the severity of the action, whether or not a warning is necessary.
Note: Conferences or the proper disciplinary authority are encouraged to develop policies in this area if necessary.”

Re: Can Gary Glitter be far behind?
Date: March 20, 2008 07:56AM

marty
Movie at the Palace Theatre

(Albany NY)

Saturday Noon

~ "Free" movie showing of "Rocky" at the Palace Theatre for ECAC Hockey ticketholders. General public $5.

More Excitement Here

Rocky? Puh-leez! Now if they were showing Slap Shot or Youngblood, I might go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login