Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Worst Tiebreakers Ever

Posted by Give My Regards 
Worst Tiebreakers Ever
Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 12:47AM

Don't worry, the ECAC(H) still rules the roost when it comes to most convoluted tie-breaking system, even with the addition of league wins this year. However, there's a new contender for the title in Atlantic Hockey, and they're moving up fast.

[www.uscho.com]

First, consider the AH tiebreakers, as listed in the article:

1. Points head-to-head
2. Goal differential head-to-head
3. Conference wins
4. Goal differential
5. Goals allowed
6. Goals scored

Let's think about that last one for a minute. Now, if two tied teams have the same goal differential (goals scored minus goals allowed), and they've both allowed the same number of goals -- well, wouldn't they have both scored the same number of goals??

But wait, we're just getting warmed up! See, Atlantic Hockey does not have a balanced schedule -- some teams play each other only twice in a season, while other teams play each other four times. So, what happens if there's a three-way tie, but not all the teams played each other the same number of times that season? Maybe they would use head-to-head winning percentages or something. Or, maybe not:

If three or more teams are tied and all played the same number of games against one another, you would use the tiebreaker above top to bottom as a mini-conference.

A mini-conference... got that?

If three or more teams are tied and all played an uneven amount of games, we will use the tiebreaker above, but break the teams up into a mini-mini-conference.

That's right, a mini-mini-conference. No no, keep going:

If three teams are tied and one team played two games against the other two, while the other two faced each other four times, we will break the teams that played four times and run the tiebreaker policy to see who would win that series. Then take the team that won that tiebreaker and pit them against the team that they played twice to see who would win the higher seed. Then you take the final two teams and run the tiebreaker again to see who garners the higher seed.

Egad. Well, that's for three teams -- what if there are FOUR teams tied that didn't all play the same number of games against each other? Don't ask. No, seriously, don't ask.

If you have a four-way tie and two teams played four times and other two played twice, the winners of the four-team tiebreaker and two-team tiebreaker are the number-one and -two seeds based on their head-to-head comparisons, and the losers are the third and fourth seeds based on their head-to-head comparisons.

Sadly, after all that, the only tie in Atlantic Hockey was between Connecticut and Canisius, with Canisius winning on head-to-head goal differential.

Re: Worst Tiebreakers Ever
Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 01:03AM

Remaining ties will be broken with a sack race held every alternating Sunday.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2008 03:31AM

I challenge some enterprising Canisius fan to code that up for the AH Playoff Possibilities Script. ::cool::

Of course, in any league where teams play an unbalanced schedule, there's something to be said for just making the first tie-breaker some sort of measure of strength of schedule. Or just doing the standings by KRACH or KASA or something in the first place.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2012 06:36PM

I know you've all been waiting with bad breath for Atlantic Hockey's convoluted three-way tiebreaking system, complete with mini-conferences and mini-mini-conferences, to be put into practice. Well, joy of joys, this year Atlantic Hockey's final standings produced a three-way tie for third among RIT, Mercyhurst, and Holy Cross. So hop on board and enjoy the ride.

So far as I can tell, Atlantic Hockey's tiebreaking system has remained unchanged over the last four years, except that the maximum number of league games two teams can play against each other is now three instead of four. But anyway, let's see how this all plays out in the RIT-Mercyhurst-Holy Cross tie.

Can we form an RIT-Mercyhurst-Holy Cross mini-conference? Did they all play each other the same number of times? No, they did not. RIT and Mercyhurst played three times, while those two teams each played Holy Cross only twice. So we have to take RIT and Mercyhurst and place them in a mini-mini-conference, leaving Holy Cross out for now. (No, that does not mean that Holy Cross is in a mini-mini-mini-conference)

RIT and Mercyhurst went 1-1-1 against each other, so we need to go to the second tiebreaker. head-to-head goal differential. RIT lost to Mercyhurst by one and beat them by four, giving them a +3 and the tiebreaker edge.

Now we see how RIT matches up against Holy Cross. RIT won the season series 2-0, so RIT wins the tiebreaker and, having won the ties against both Holy Cross and Mercyhurst, gets the #3 seed.

Now we look at Mercyhurst and Holy Cross. Mercyhurst won the season series 1-0-1, so they get the #4 seed and Holy Cross finishes #5.

Simple, no?

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2012 07:11PM

Give My Regards
I know you've all been waiting with bad breath for Atlantic Hockey's convoluted three-way tiebreaking system, complete with mini-conferences and mini-mini-conferences, to be put into practice. Well, joy of joys, this year Atlantic Hockey's final standings produced a three-way tie for third among RIT, Mercyhurst, and Holy Cross. So hop on board and enjoy the ride.

So far as I can tell, Atlantic Hockey's tiebreaking system has remained unchanged over the last four years, except that the maximum number of league games two teams can play against each other is now three instead of four. But anyway, let's see how this all plays out in the RIT-Mercyhurst-Holy Cross tie.

Can we form an RIT-Mercyhurst-Holy Cross mini-conference? Did they all play each other the same number of times? No, they did not. RIT and Mercyhurst played three times, while those two teams each played Holy Cross only twice. So we have to take RIT and Mercyhurst and place them in a mini-mini-conference, leaving Holy Cross out for now. (No, that does not mean that Holy Cross is in a mini-mini-mini-conference)

RIT and Mercyhurst went 1-1-1 against each other, so we need to go to the second tiebreaker. head-to-head goal differential. RIT lost to Mercyhurst by one and beat them by four, giving them a +3 and the tiebreaker edge.

Now we see how RIT matches up against Holy Cross. RIT won the season series 2-0, so RIT wins the tiebreaker and, having won the ties against both Holy Cross and Mercyhurst, gets the #3 seed.

Now we look at Mercyhurst and Holy Cross. Mercyhurst won the season series 1-0-1, so they get the #4 seed and Holy Cross finishes #5.

Simple, no?

But there was not an infinite loop, so how can it be the worst ever? ;-)

Maybe the AHA should contract with JTW for a playoff tie breaking script/formula.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 12:39PM

Give My Regards
Don't worry, the ECAC(H) still rules the roost when it comes to most convoluted tie-breaking system, even with the addition of league wins this year. However, there's a new contender for the title in Atlantic Hockey, and they're moving up fast.

Since it may come up soon, what are the tiebreakers for the Worst Tiebreakers Ever rankings?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 12:46PM

This isn't one of these posts to see if people here are gullible? You know, like the Congressman who mistook The Onion story for real? I love the goal differential, then goals allowed, then goals scored tiebreakers in that order.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 12:58PM

ftyuv
Give My Regards

Since it may come up soon, what are the tiebreakers for the Worst Tiebreakers Ever rankings?
Coin toss with two-headed coin.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2012 01:02PM

billhoward
You know, like the Congressman who mistook The Onion story for real?

Can you be more specific?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 27, 2012 01:16PM

Beeeej
billhoward

If you scroll down far enough you'll eventually find the most recent example: [literallyunbelievable.org]

Date: February 27, 2012 01:55PM

jtn27
Beeeej
billhoward

If you scroll down far enough you'll eventually find the most recent example: [literallyunbelievable.org]

Perhaps for optimal humor value and minimal misunderstanding value, I should have phrased it "You'll have to be more specific."

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 27, 2012 02:02PM

Beeeej
jtn27
Beeeej
billhoward

Perhaps for optimal humor value and minimal misunderstanding value, I should have phrased it "You'll have to be more specific."

I knew what you meant. I just wanted to share that link.

Date: February 27, 2012 02:19PM

jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27
Beeeej
billhoward

I knew what you meant. I just wanted to share that link.

I... knew that you knew what I meant. I just wanted to use some big words.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-16.myvzw.com)
Date: February 27, 2012 02:22PM

billhoward
This isn't one of these posts to see if people here are gullible? You know, like the Congressman who mistook The Onion story for real? I love the goal differential, then goals allowed, then goals scored tiebreakers in that order.

So which congressman follows Onion hockey?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 04:07PM

marty
billhoward

So which congressman follows Onion hockey?
Saaaaaafety vote!

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 04:08PM

The Congressman who definitely doesn't follow Onion/Union hockey or understand The Onion would be John Fleming of Louisiana, who took as real The Onion's story on an $8 billion Abortionplex in Florida. [www.theatlanticwire.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login