Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Frozen Four 2012

Posted by Beeeej 
Frozen Four 2012
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2011 09:04PM

It may seem a little early to start this thread, but I got my notification today that I made it through the lottery, and will have four tickets in Tampa. I figured I'd "w00t!" here in this space.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Frozen Four 2012
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2011 09:42PM

Beeeej
It may seem a little early to start this thread, but I got my notification today that I made it through the lottery, and will have four tickets in Tampa. I figured I'd "w00t!" here in this space.

Ditto here, but I'm only going to go if there are hockey teams there.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2011 05:08PM

RichH
Beeeej

Ditto here, but I'm only going to go if there are hockey teams there.
I guess it's a good thing it's not in Atlanta, then.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2011 07:01PM

I'm in, now if my high school senior daughter just doesn't have some conflict with college...

And I've got a reservation at the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown. Now if someone knows a closer, available place, please post it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 07:10PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-252-56.myvzw.com)
Date: September 27, 2011 11:16AM

I just received an email offering ff2012 tickets before they go on sale to the public. Hope this link will work for anyone interested.
Tickets

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 14, 2011 05:34PM

They're on sale to the public. So much for the lottery this year.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 05:02PM

I got an email from the NCAA giving me my seat assignments 4 months before my tickets are mailed, which is nice. Even though I'm pretty high in priority, I'm up in the 300 level (albeit near center ice). Checked to see what was offered on ticketmaster, and "best available" is in the corner of the 300 level. I would really have been miffed if there were better tickets offered today.

I think I was in the lower bowl for St. Louis and Denver (and Ford Field, FWIW), but some arenas are still sticking the most loyal customers in the nose-bleeds. I expect the participant schools to get allotments in the corners, but who are the rest going to? Lightning season ticket holders? NCAA big wigs? Corporate sponsors?

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 05:19PM

Kim and I will be in Section 313, Row K, on the corner. I think the "prime seating" will be to people disguised as empty seats, and as we know, there usually are a fair number of them them at the Frozen Four.

Date: November 23, 2011 01:15PM

I'm in section 109, behind a net; frankly I'd prefer to be on a red or blue line, but I'm not going to complain too loudly since I'm in the lower bowl.

Now I just need two more people to go with mha and me, preferably willing to commit to the tickets regardless of Cornell's participation.

Note: The NCAA went to all that trouble to set up a script to email all the lottery winners with their seat locations, and they couldn't be bothered to include a link to a seating chart?!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 28, 2012 04:35PM

ESPN, in their infinite wisdom, demotes the Frozen Four semifinals down to ESPNU and the title game down to ESPN2:

[puckthemedia.wordpress.com]

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: February 28, 2012 04:44PM

Beeeej
ESPN, in their infinite wisdom, demotes the Frozen Four semifinals down to ESPNU and the title game down to ESPN2:

What did hockey get bumped for: World's Strongest Man Competition, Poker, or High School Cheerleading?

At least I'm not at the mercy of TV. I get to see the games live B-].

Date: February 28, 2012 04:49PM

Rita
Beeeej

What did hockey get bumped for: World's Strongest Man Competition, Poker, or High School Cheerleading?

I usually do as well, but this year I'm finding it difficult to justify the expense unless Cornell is involved.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Weder (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2012 05:21PM

Rita
Beeeej

ESPN is carrying an NBA doubleheader the night of the championship game.
[scores.espn.go.com]

I'm having a hard time getting worked up about the title game getting moved. How many people who get ESPN don't get ESPN2?
Moving the semifinals to ESPNU *is* a big deal, though, but I'm sure it's a calculated move to get people to complain to their cable companies and/or pony up extra money for the sports tier.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: February 28, 2012 06:14PM

Weder
Rita
Beeeej

[scores.espn.go.com]

I'm having a hard time getting worked up about the title game getting moved. How many people who get ESPN don't get ESPN2?
Moving the semifinals to ESPNU *is* a big deal, though, but I'm sure it's a calculated move to get people to complain to their cable companies and/or pony up extra money for the sports tier.

I think it is a calculated move to put things that people watch on the networks that have higher ad rates.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 28, 2012 06:45PM

Weder
Rita
Beeeej

[scores.espn.go.com]

I don't think that has anything to do with it. How many college hockey fans are there? Probably just alumni of and people who live near big hockey schools (Cornell, Michigan, etc). And even within in that subset I don't think it's all that high a percentage (2 years ago I asked a friend that goes to BU if he was going to the Cornell-BU MSG game and his reaction was basically "I didn't know about that. They don't really publicize the hockey team at BU." Even here at Cornell, Lynah sells out every game but the student section seats only a few hundred. There are several thousand students). And then you have to consider how many college hockey fans will want to watch a game that doesn't include their favorite team. There is a much larger audience for NBA games than for college hockey.

Posted by: Weder (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2012 08:57PM

jtn27
Weder
Rita
Beeeej

[scores.espn.go.com]

I don't think that has anything to do with it. How many college hockey fans are there? Probably just alumni of and people who live near big hockey schools (Cornell, Michigan, etc). And even within in that subset I don't think it's all that high a percentage (2 years ago I asked a friend that goes to BU if he was going to the Cornell-BU MSG game and his reaction was basically "I didn't know about that. They don't really publicize the hockey team at BU." Even here at Cornell, Lynah sells out every game but the student section seats only a few hundred. There are several thousand students). And then you have to consider how many college hockey fans will want to watch a game that doesn't include their favorite team. There is a much larger audience for NBA games than for college hockey.

Yeah, but I don't think you can look at it only from the standpoint of college hockey. It's part of a bigger strategy. ESPN will keep a handful of NCAA championship games on ESPN/ESPN2 and move the bulk of the rest of the coverage to ESPNU/ESPN3. Then it tells viewers to ask their cable companies to add ESPNU and, perhaps down the road, pressure the cable companies to move ESPNU from a sports tier to a basic or expanded basic package.

EDIT: The more I think about it, I think ESPN3 is the key piece here. By putting more events on ESPN3, and keeping ESPN3 access limited to those who subscribe to cable providers, ESPN is working to protect its most important revenue stream.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login