Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Fish

Posted by BMac 
Fish
Posted by: BMac (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 28, 2008 05:41PM

Hi guys,

I just ran into Athletic Director Andy Noel (pronounced No L, not Nohl as I originally thought) and asked about the Fish Policy this season.

He says that they will make a "good effort" to eliminate fish. They "won't frisk women or anything like that" nor try to take out every fish. Nothing unreasonable. Personally, I got the idea that he agrees that it's a tradition and has to make a "best effort" because of the NCAA or some higher power.

I will make, of course, MY best effort to bring some in...

Let's go red.

Re: Fish
Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 05:46PM

BMac
They "won't frisk women or anything like that"

Depending on how good someone looks in drag, problem solved. :-)

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 05:57PM

So you think security would laugh it off if I tried to walk in with a 30lb. grouper in my arms? Or is that a bad idea? I feel like my friends would take the following approach -->stupid

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 06:02PM

BMac
here's a suggestion. Make sure you come to the game with a woman. Then when they don't frisk her and try to frisk you, insist that they are violating your rights! Sex discrimination by an institution receiving federal funding!

Of course, this would just get you some nasty words fromthe staff as they don't let you into the game. But it sounds funny.

Date: February 28, 2008 06:03PM

grizzdan24
So you think security would laugh it off if I tried to walk in with a 30lb. grouper in my arms? Or is that a bad idea? I feel like my friends would take the following approach -->stupid
Well, if you have a 30lb. fish in your arms and give it up to security maybe they wouldn't search you for the other, more reasonably sized fishes you have under your clothes.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 06:17PM

I don't think they ever really frisked men either unless you looked really suspicious. What I usually got was open your jacket, they look at you quickly and then let you through. This works best if you show up really early to the game b/c they don't get all the cops there and stuff until later. Also had a female friend just put it under her 2 bra straps and thats a good way to get it in :)

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 07:01PM

If I remember correctly, the 2003 Harvard game was highlighted by an octopus and a large walleye. You have to give the octopus respect.

I have always felt that a rather entertaining animal to end up on the ice would be a live lobster or crab...

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 07:14PM

BMac
Hi guys,

I just ran into Athletic Director Andy Noel (pronounced No L, not Nohl as I originally thought) and asked about the Fish Policy this season.

He says that they will make a "good effort" to eliminate fish. They "won't frisk women or anything like that" nor try to take out every fish. Nothing unreasonable. Personally, I got the idea that he agrees that it's a tradition and has to make a "best effort" because of the NCAA or some higher power.

Let's go red.

Assuming you were the guy that stopped Noel on his way out of the SA meeting...what did you think of his comments there?

Noel was at the SA meeting because several faculty members were there to deliver a (boring) presentation on the state of Cornell athletics, recognition by the NCAA, etc. A representative asked Noel about the policy of revoking an entire season's worth of student tickets for saying "fuck em up," and Noel tried to paint himself as an "old-timer" who felt that "the eff word" was not an appropriate word to say in family-friendly Lynah. I would have liked to see someone publicly ask him about the anti-Fish policy -- it's hard to paint yourself as an "old-timer" or traditionalist when you're trying to destroy one of our school's best (and most famous) traditions.

Posted by: BMac (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 07:22PM

I was indeed the guy who stopped him on his way out...
Honestly, I don't really care. I can deal with not swearing. I DO think the punishment is onerous, but you can't say we didn't have fair warning nowadays.

However, the fish thing I think he's letting up on. At least, that's the way it seemed, though not exactly in a wink wink we won't check anyone nudge nudge way.

Much more interesting (and the reason I was at the SA meeting) was to protest the resolution to allow concealed weapons on college campuses. Unfortunately, the members of the SA thought the small crowd meant the Cornell Republicans got a bunch of their own to quietly show up, so they tabled the discussion until they had a better representation from students. It's too bad- the vast majority of us there were against guns.

OT: That was my first SA meeting. Christ, I can see what the Sun's talking about. And the sheer idea of allowing students to carry concealed firearms on a college campus... makes me want to punch someone in the nuts. And not even Nick Dodge.

Date: February 28, 2008 07:23PM

ebilmes
BMac
Hi guys,

Let's go red.

Assuming you were the guy that stopped Noel on his way out of the SA meeting...what did you think of his comments there?

Noel was at the SA meeting because several faculty members were there to deliver a (boring) presentation on the state of Cornell athletics, recognition by the NCAA, etc. A representative asked Noel about the policy of revoking an entire season's worth of student tickets for saying "fuck em up," and Noel tried to paint himself as an "old-timer" who felt that "the eff word" was not an appropriate word to say in family-friendly Lynah. I would have liked to see someone publicly ask him about the anti-Fish policy -- it's hard to paint yourself as an "old-timer" or traditionalist when you're trying to destroy one of our school's best (and most famous) traditions.

Honestly, they don't try very hard to catch you with the fish. I think mostly they are doing it as a formality b/c they would get pressured by various people if they just let it go. If you get there early they don't really check you, and if you go through a little bit of effort to put the fish in an inconspicuous place you will get it in. If you got in to Cornell you should be smart enough to get around their "checking" for fish on the way in.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 07:46PM

Yeah, I was there for the handgun thing, too. I think there were maybe 2 people there who were for the resolution and the rest of us were opposed. See you next week...

Posted by: redhair34 (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 07:46PM

Jacob '06
Honestly, they don't try very hard to catch you with the fish. I think mostly they are doing it as a formality b/c they would get pressured by various people if they just let it go. If you get there early they don't really check you, and if you go through a little bit of effort to put the fish in an inconspicuous place you will get it in. If you got in to Cornell you should be smart enough to get around their "checking" for fish on the way in.

I agree re: getting into Lynah with a fish. Would it be the same fun if they let us just waltz in with fish, throw them out at warmups and then collect them and re-distribute to throw again for player introductions? Anybody who's gone up to Colgate knows what I'm talking about. The administration openly permitting or even encouraging the tradition sort of cheapens it in my mind.

My problem is that even if you're able to get the fish into the rink you still run the risk of being tossed when you throw it on the ice. This is the reason I (somewhat regrettably) never brought in a fish. My feeling is if you are willing to shove a dead fish down your pants, athletics should look the other way once you're in your seat.

Date: February 28, 2008 07:51PM

BMac
OT: That was my first SA meeting. Christ, I can see what the Sun's talking about. And the sheer idea of allowing students to carry concealed firearms on a college campus... makes me want to punch someone in the nuts. And not even Nick Dodge.
Yes, because those with legal concealed weapons permits are known to be such a dangerous bunch. Somehow I don't think restrictions against concealed carry have ever or will ever deter someone who was determined to shoot up a classroom. OTOH, armed students and staff have stopped a number of campus murderers through the years (nationally, not at Cornell).

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 07:58PM

redhair34
My feeling is if you are willing to shove a dead fish down your pants, athletics should look the other way once you're in your seat.

I will echo that sentiment. I managed to smuggle my fish in that way in '03 (Hynes' tip in for the 1-0 win). Wegmans did an excellent job wrapping it, so I used an extra tight belt to keep the fish in place. Too bad we were some of the only people to get to our section in time, it's tough to conceal 4 fish flying out of a section with 10 people in it. The ushers arbitrarily chose one of us to be kicked out, but it's okay he just took a long walk around the rink and sneaked in through another section.

You are right though, it's fun to try and sneak the fish through, but if you get it by the front door it shouldn't mean you get bounced from the game.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 08:21PM

Heck, I one time had newspaper with fish in it blatantly sticking out of the top of my jacket and one about to fall out of my pantleg and all they did was pat my sides and let me go.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2008 08:52PM

metaezra
If I remember correctly, the 2003 Harvard game was highlighted by an octopus

The best part is you can grab a tentacle and fling it like a frisbee. And they fly like one--I mean... I have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 08:59PM

KeithK
BMac
Yes, because those with legal concealed weapons permits are known to be such a dangerous bunch. Somehow I don't think restrictions against concealed carry have ever or will ever deter someone who was determined to shoot up a classroom. OTOH, armed students and staff have stopped a number of campus murderers through the years (nationally, not at Cornell).

Maybe we'd better take this to JSID, but, Hmm, we have the free country with the most guns and the most gun crimes, any relationship?

Yeah, I know "In a word, NO"asshole And no, I'm not referring to you; it's the only emoticon with a gun.:-}

Posted by: jdonofrio (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 28, 2008 10:04PM

Interesting email form athletics about the fish:

CORNELL VS. HARVARD MEN'S ICE HOCKEY REMINDERS

Good evening Hockey Fans! A few reminders for the games this weekend:
* Please arrive early for Saturday's game vs. Harvard and expect delays at the doors to due to package and other inspections. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.
* Fans who are found to have fish or alcohol on their person will be expelled from the rink and will be subject to other university discipline. Bags and backpacks will not be permitted in the rink. Food and refreshments must be purchased from our concessionaire.
* For this game and all others, a policy of zero tolerance of rude and disruptive behavior is in effect.

* Please be reminded that the throwing of fish, or any other object onto the ice or any other disruptive behavior will not be tolerated, and is cause for ejection from the rink and the revocation of tickets. Any items thrown on the ice could result in a delay of game penalty for the Cornell team.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Go Big Red!

I am a freshman so after getting this email I thought they would be real strict about the fish but after reading your comments it seems they do this just to appease the NCAA.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2008 10:08PM

jdonofrio
I am a freshman so after getting this email I thought they would be real strict about the fish but after reading your comments it seems they do this just to appease the NCAA.

I would say that they don't do this just to appease the NCAA. I'm sure they also do it so that people aren't completely surprised - and have no real basis for complaint - if and when they are prevented from entering, or thrown out, or whatever. It's multifaceted ass-covering.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: February 28, 2008 10:58PM

jdonofrio
Interesting email form athletics about the fish:

CORNELL VS. HARVARD MEN'S ICE HOCKEY REMINDERS

Good evening Hockey Fans! A few reminders for the games this weekend:
* Please arrive early for Saturday's game vs. Harvard and expect delays at the doors to due to package and other inspections. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.
* Fans who are found to have fish or alcohol on their person will be expelled from the rink and will be subject to other university discipline. Bags and backpacks will not be permitted in the rink. Food and refreshments must be purchased from our concessionaire.
* For this game and all others, a policy of zero tolerance of rude and disruptive behavior is in effect.

* Please be reminded that the throwing of fish, or any other object onto the ice or any other disruptive behavior will not be tolerated, and is cause for ejection from the rink and the revocation of tickets. Any items thrown on the ice could result in a delay of game penalty for the Cornell team.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Go Big Red!

I've been frisked before Cornell hockey games and I think it is a good idea. If you want Cornell to beat Harvard on Saturday, then don't risk a penalty against the team. Don't throw anything on the ice.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.211.---)
Date: February 28, 2008 11:01PM

the way to get fish in is simple. Have one person go first, make sure they LOOK extremely guilty. while security is checking them, they have a tendency to let the other 7 of he friends who look innocent through without any trouble.

Just make sure someone sneaks a fish in for the Decoy to throw.

Date: February 28, 2008 11:27PM

lynah80
[
I've been frisked before Cornell hockey games and I think it is a good idea. If you want Cornell to beat Harvard on Saturday, then don't risk a penalty against the team. Don't throw anything on the ice.

If you only throw the fish when Harvard comes on the ice for introductions, Cornell will not be penalized. If you are an idiot and throw it once the game begins they will be.

Posted by: octopusguy (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 11:43PM

metaezra
If I remember correctly, the 2003 Harvard game was highlighted by an octopus and a large walleye. You have to give the octopus respect.

I have always felt that a rather entertaining animal to end up on the ice would be a live lobster or crab...

I don't know if it was me you saw, but I did take pride in my octopus over the years (hence the screen name). I threw a small one in 2004. Then I threw a large one in 2005, which was my largest success (McKee poked it for awhile, it got stuck to the ice when they tried to remove it, and the whole crowd cheered when they finally got it off and raised it high to the crowd). And in 2006, my senior year, I threw 2 large ones at the end of the game. I've since graduated but hope to return with more octopus at future Harvard games.

Date: February 28, 2008 11:48PM

My favorites have been the odd stuff like boxes of Mrs. Paul's, bags of Swedish Fish, plush fish toys, etc. Don't see much of those anymore.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 11:56PM

The AD's attacks on the fish tradition have waxed and waned over the years, even with the same administration, suggesting they don't originate with the AD at all.

The policies against the f-bomb only increase, which suggests everybody in the AD and administration are on board. Draconian punishments for the f-bomb are good natural selection, anyway, since the fans who can't think of anything more clever to do at the game don't add anything anyway.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 29, 2008 12:34AM

[www.amurgsval.org]
[elf.elynah.com]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 01:04AM

KeithK
BMac
here's a suggestion. Make sure you come to the game with a woman. Then when they don't frisk her and try to frisk you, insist that they are violating your rights! Sex discrimination by an institution receiving federal funding!

Of course, this would just get you some nasty words fromthe staff as they don't let you into the game. But it sounds funny.
Either that or they'd just frisk the woman too.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: February 29, 2008 02:01AM

jtwcornell91
http://elf.elynah.com/read.php?1,62,74#msg-74

Sure is easy to search for "schlong" on this forum, isn't it?

Date: February 29, 2008 02:05AM

Beeeej
My favorites have been the odd stuff like boxes of Mrs. Paul's, bags of Swedish Fish, plush fish toys, etc. Don't see much of those anymore.

Probably for the best. Unless those things are all packaged somehow, they all are horrible for the ice conditions. Frozen fish sticks shatter and the breading goes everywhere. Swedish fish are pretty nasty as they can goo up the ice much worse than fish guts.

Date: February 29, 2008 02:19AM

Trotsky
The AD's attacks on the fish tradition have waxed and waned over the years, even with the same administration, suggesting they don't originate with the AD at all.

A couple of years ago, I showed up for this game so early the rink doors weren't even open. So hanging around in the field house hallway, I was privy to the pre-game usher huddle where Gene N. gives his pep talk and marching orders to the ushers. It was quite enlightening. For the Harvard game specifically, he was listing places where those no-good kids have tried to smuggle in fish before (apparently carrying them in using packaging from a company that "owns Clarkson" (if you know the standard eLF humor) was discovered to be a strategy) as well as ideas that were discussed on some online forum somewhere...

Trotsky is exactly right when he says that enforcement has waxed and waned through the years. And I think my above paragraph demonstrates that the level of frisking comes more from the people in the trenches rather than any AD directive. Personally, I always got fish in using a "below-the-waist" method...until one crackdown year when the security dude actually did grab me in my schlong-al region. As it led to discovery of my contraband fish, I felt I lost my right to claim inappropriate touching.

Forget the Fish
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 03:33AM

I think this tradition is totally lame.

Let's play hockey.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2008 03:35AM by lynah80.

Re: Fish at Cheel
Date: February 29, 2008 04:44AM

Dpperk29
the way to get fish in is simple. Have one person go first, make sure they LOOK extremely guilty. while security is checking them, they have a tendency to let the other 7 of he friends who look innocent through without any trouble.

Just make sure someone sneaks a fish in for the Decoy to throw.

Thank you for the tip. Why don't you do a test run in your barn first and let us know how it goes.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2008 05:02AM by lynah80.

Date: February 29, 2008 04:48AM

Josh '99
KeithK
BMac

Of course, this would just get you some nasty words from the staff as they don't let you into the game. But it sounds funny.

Let's play hockey.
Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2008 05:05AM by lynah80.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 07:29AM

My favorite way to sneak in fish was to tape them around my ankle, wear a knee high sock and then come into Lynah using crutches. They never will go near your ankle since they are assumed you are injured.

The best part about this strategy is that after the game you are walking out carrying crutches as the ushers look befuddled.

8 point weekend. LGR

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 08:00AM

lynah80
Josh '99
KeithK
BMac

Of course, this would just get you some nasty words from the staff as they don't let you into the game. But it sounds funny.

Let's play hockey.

Gotcha the first time you wrote this.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 08:21AM

Beeeej
jdonofrio

I would say that they don't do this just to appease the NCAA. I'm sure they also do it so that people aren't completely surprised - and have no real basis for complaint - if and when they are prevented from entering, or thrown out, or whatever. It's multifaceted ass-covering.

In other words, their lawyers made them do it.:-)

Posted by: sah67 (---.65.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 09:20AM

Luke 05
My favorite way to sneak in fish was to tape them around my ankle, wear a knee high sock and then come into Lynah using crutches. They never will go near your ankle since they are assumed you are injured.

The best part about this strategy is that after the game you are walking out carrying crutches as the ushers look befuddled.

8 point weekend. LGR

Stuffing the fish inside my shoes (essentially walking on them) was a little gross, but 100% fool-proof last year. The security staff never even used to think of checking shoes, and last year, they just briefly glanced down to see if anything is sticking out.

Then again, this also gets pretty gross (not only the feeling of walking on fish, but the smell of your socks afterwards)

Date: February 29, 2008 09:21AM

lynah80

Let's play hockey.

As others have mentioned in replies to your posts...you're new around here, aren't you?
smashfreak

Date: February 29, 2008 09:31AM

RichH
Beeeej

Probably for the best. Unless those things are all packaged somehow, they all are horrible for the ice conditions. Frozen fish sticks shatter and the breading goes everywhere. Swedish fish are pretty nasty as they can goo up the ice much worse than fish guts.

Hence the boxes and bags I miss so much.

- Steve Worona

Re: Forget the Fish
Date: February 29, 2008 09:34AM

lynah80

Let's play hockey.

Well, you've certainly convinced me. Well argued, sir. Can't imagine anybody will be bringing fish to tomorrow night's game after impenetrable, unimpeachable logic such as that.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 11:06AM

I like the idea of bringing them in tonight for the game and finding a good place to hide them. Just make sure to put them in at least one ziplock or they will stink!

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 29, 2008 11:09AM

lynah80
Let's play hockey.

If I had my way, there would be 60 minutes of fish throwing, and the refs would swallow their whistles in admiration of the piscine blizzard.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 11:31AM

Beeeej
Well, you've certainly convinced me. Well argued, sir. Can't imagine anybody will be bringing fish to tomorrow night's game after impenetrable, unimpeachable logic such as that.

Why bother with fish -- it sounds like you'll be able to bring a concealed weapon in sometime soon...

wow

Date: February 29, 2008 11:58AM

ugarte
piscine blizzard.

I'll take "Unsuccessful Dairy Queen Menu Items" for $100, Alex.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 12:51PM

grizzdan24
I like the idea of bringing them in tonight for the game and finding a good place to hide them. Just make sure to put them in at least one ziplock or they will stink!

There are those little ledges underneath the benches...the ushers never really look under there during post-game cleanup ;)

Date: February 29, 2008 01:11PM

Jim Hyla
Yeah, I know "In a word, NO"asshole And no, I'm not referring to you; it's the only emoticon with a gun.:-}
Thanks for the caveat Jim. I know we pretty much don't agree on anything politically but I do hope it doesn't become personal.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 01:40PM

Hey, where can I get scrod?

Posted by: polar (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 29, 2008 02:45PM

I've actually got a bag of swedish fish next to me right now, ready to throw. The funny thing is, no matter how much the administration frowns on it, there always seems to be colgate toothpaste and extra bags of swedish fish at Bear Necessities before Colgate and Harvard games...

Posted by: polar (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 29, 2008 02:52PM

on this subject, if anyone can think of a way to sneak in a large tuna, and have it end up on the ice tomorrow, I know at least 10 people who will be eternally grateful

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 02:59PM

polar
on this subject, if anyone can think of a way to sneak in a large tuna, and have it end up on the ice tomorrow, I know at least 10 people who will be eternally grateful
Given that a "large tuna" can weigh over 1,000 pounds, I'd be quite impressed.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 03:46PM

Beeeej
lynah80

Let's play hockey.

Why don't you survey the athletes on the ice, both Cornell and Harvard, to find out what they think of people who throw fish from the stands.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2008 03:47PM by lynah80.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: February 29, 2008 03:55PM

lynah80
Beeeej
lynah80

Let's play hockey.

Why don't you survey the athletes on the ice, both Cornell and Harvard, to find out what they think of people who throw fish from the stands.

Based on interviews in the past I would venture to say Cornell players think its funny and interesting despite the smell, and Harvard players just think its disgusting.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 03:59PM

Jacob '06

Based on interviews in the past I would venture to say Cornell players think its funny and interesting despite the smell, and Harvard players just think its disgusting.

Which Cornell players thought it was funny? Please cite your sources. Do you want to have fun, or do you want to beat Harvard?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2008 11:35PM by lynah80.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 04:04PM

lynah80
Which Cornell players thought it was funny? Please site your sources. Do you want to have fun, or do you want to beat Harvard?
Good god, give it a rest, dude. You've made your point; most of us disagree; move on.

I know I've read in the past that that the players find it amusing, but I find this discussion and your opinion regarding it of so little worth that I care not to spend the effort proving it to you.

Kyle

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 04:06PM

[www.nytimes.com]

“When I was playing here as a freshman, I thought the sight of fish flying over the boards was hilarious,” Schafer said. “It’s still a fun tradition that has lived on over the years, and it is all a part of the same kind of electricity that a college basketball fan might find at a Duke-North Carolina game.”

“But over the years, I’ve really come to appreciate this rivalry,” said Donato, whose team is the defending ECAC Hockey League champion. “And whether Cornell fans are throwing fish or newspapers on the ice, our guys have come to appreciate it as well.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 04:11PM

KeithK
Jim Hyla
Thanks for the caveat Jim. I know we pretty much don't agree on anything politically but I do hope it doesn't become personal.

Short answer, agree and it won't.:-)

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 04:12PM

The players enjoy it, and feed off the intensity. I am not going to "site my sources" on a message board such as this, but if you are so inclined, feel free to email me or message me as I know most of the players personally. Then again, thats probably not appropriate message board material either.

Date: February 29, 2008 04:19PM

The only Cornell players who might not like it are the unfortunate few that have accidentally been hit by fish over the years. The Harvard undoubtedly dislike it but since when are we supposed to care if they're happy?

Now if we get a penalty that's a different story. I will personally scream at and point out any idiot who I see tossing a fish after intros. And I'll be in California! :-)

Posted by: jdonofrio (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 29, 2008 04:24PM

You could probably sneak in through the door on the outside where the zamboni goes through and throw it on the ice.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 04:27PM

French Rage
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/05/sports/hockey/05cheer.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

“When I was playing here as a freshman, I thought the sight of fish flying over the boards was hilarious,” Schafer said. “It’s still a fun tradition that has lived on over the years, and it is all a part of the same kind of electricity that a college basketball fan might find at a Duke-North Carolina game.”

“But over the years, I’ve really come to appreciate this rivalry,” said Donato, whose team is the defending ECAC Hockey League champion. “And whether Cornell fans are throwing fish or newspapers on the ice, our guys have come to appreciate it as well.

I seem to recall ESPN giving Cornell a video camera back during the 2003 Frozen Four to film an inside look at the team that the week. There was a clip of Leneveu in the hotel room recalling a story from a Harvard game where a large fish (shark?) was thrown on the ice and the players were having a great time reminiscing about that.

I'm not the only one that remembers this, right?

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: February 29, 2008 04:38PM

lynah80
Do you want to have fun, or do you want to beat Harvard?

First, it's a logical truth that beating Harvard is always fun.

Second, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive anyway.

It's a college game. It's traditions like this, and the fish at UNH, and Sasquatch at BU, and the Bell at Clarkson, and the Bud Song at Wisconsin, and the rouser at Minnesota, and that green freak at Michigan State that make college hockey special and seperates it from the sanitized environments in the NHL. It's stories like these that compel so many of us to come back. Which is more likely to be told to future generations? The time I crammed for that final for 45 straight hours, or how I stuffed a frozen Red Snapper down my pants in 5 degree weather? How about that time a 30-pound fishhead was hoisted by 4 guys up and over the glass? Or the variety of sexual "aides" that have found their way onto the ice?

It's college hockey. It's supposed to be fun. Loosen up.

Date: February 29, 2008 04:59PM

RichH
It's a college game. It's traditions like this, and the fish at UNH, and Sasquatch at BU, and the Bell at Clarkson, and the Bud Song at Wisconsin, and the rouser at Minnesota, and that green freak at Michigan State that make college hockey special and seperates it from the sanitized environments in the NHL,

say nothing of the AHL.

Date: February 29, 2008 05:03PM

lynah80
Jacob '06

Which Cornell players thought it was funny? Please site your sources. Do you want to have fun, or do you want to beat Harvard?

If one "sites" a source, does one have to put some sort of surveyor's stake in the ground and then take GPS coordinates?

And last I checked, I think everyone has a lot of fun while beating Harvard at the same time...imagine that!

But in all seriousness Lynah80: newbies are always welcome on this forum, but posting nonsense like you have in this thread won't ingratiate you to the regulars on here, some of whom (you know who you are, dinosaurs) have been following Cornell hockey since before you were in diapers. Lighten up :)

Date: February 29, 2008 06:09PM

sah67
But in all seriousness Lynah80: newbies are always welcome on this forum, but posting nonsense like you have in this thread won't ingratiate you to the regulars on here, some of whom (you know who you are, dinosaurs) have been following Cornell hockey since before you were in diapers. Lighten up :)

Well, really I can't agree with all of that. Posting nonsense is what this forum is all about. :-D Differing opinions are welcome here. Expect to get into arguments, but they are welcome.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 29, 2008 06:17PM

RichH
sah67

Well, really I can't agree with all of that. Posting nonsense is what this forum is all about. :-D Differing opinions are welcome here. Expect to get into arguments, but they are welcome.
Jerk.

Date: February 29, 2008 06:35PM

RichH
sah67

Agreed. If you don't like the dissenting voices just don't respond to them.

Posted by: MINIteam8s (---.corning.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 06:41PM

Just heard that an outside security firm has been hired for tomorrow night -

Date: February 29, 2008 06:51PM

MINIteam8s

Is this one of those "apples and flowers" expenses that Jacob03 and Beeeej argued about last week in the endowment thread?

Can't say I think this is a good use of University or even Athletics money.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 06:52PM

polar
Am I the only one who read this and thought "mmm...sushi"?

I was frisked once at Lynah. I did not enjoy it.

Date: February 29, 2008 10:07PM

RichH
MINIteam8s

Is this one of those "apples and flowers" expenses that Jacob03 and Beeeej argued about last week in the endowment thread?

Can't say I think this is a good use of University or even Athletics money.

...unless of course someone created the "Fish 'n' Fowl Outside Security Force for the Home Hahvahd (Sucks) Game Endowment" with a gift they otherwise wouldn't have given to Cornell for any other purpose.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 29, 2008 10:19PM

ugarte
RichH
sah67

Jerk.

Typical. rolleyes

- Steve Worona

Date: February 29, 2008 10:20PM

judy
polar

I was frisked once at Lynah. I did not enjoy it.

You should've told jtwcornell91 to cut it out.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: February 29, 2008 10:20PM

RichH

It's a college game. It's traditions like this, and the fish at UNH, and Sasquatch at BU, and the Bell at Clarkson, and the Bud Song at Wisconsin, and the rouser at Minnesota, and that green freak at Michigan State that make college hockey special and seperates it from the sanitized environments in the NHL. It's stories like these that compel so many of us to come back. Which is more likely to be told to future generations? The time I crammed for that final for 45 straight hours, or how I stuffed a frozen Red Snapper down my pants in 5 degree weather? How about that time a 30-pound fishhead was hoisted by 4 guys up and over the glass? Or the variety of sexual "aides" that have found their way onto the ice?
It's college hockey. It's supposed to be fun. Loosen up.

Missing in your list of things to bring to a hockey rink are the words stick, helmet, shoulder pads, and, oh, skates, amongst others. Ever tried that? They make for good story telling too.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2008 10:26PM by lynah80.

Date: February 29, 2008 10:22PM

lynah80
Jacob '06

Sorry, bub, you were the first in the discussion to suggest that the players had an opinion about the fish tradition. So the burden for citing sources, clearly, is entirely on you at this point - especially since at least one person has taken you up on your challenge and cited a few of his own already.

So, y'know, anytime.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 29, 2008 10:31PM

lynah80
Missing in your list of things to bring to a hockey rink are the words stick, helmet, shoulder pads, and, oh, skates, amongst others. Ever tried that? They make for good story telling too.

Uh...what?

1) Don't think I could use those in the stands for the varsity games. That's a lot of equipment to haul around to stand in the stands. Especially since I...

2) Played in the pep band for every Men's home hockey game during my 4 years. And I do have a lot of stories from that.

3) I played quite a few intramural games.

What's your point again?

Date: February 29, 2008 10:34PM

RichH
lynah80

Uh...what?

1) Don't think I could use those in the stands for the varsity games. That's a lot of equipment to haul around to stand in the stands. Especially since I...

2) Played in the pep band for every Men's home hockey game during my 4 years. And I do have a lot of stories from that.

What's your point again?

Something about how he wanted you to experience grief for your sources.

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2008 10:34PM by Beeeej.

Date: February 29, 2008 11:13PM

sah67
won't ingratiate you to the regulars on here, some of whom (you know who you are, dinosaurs) have been following Cornell hockey since before you were in diapers. Lighten up :)

What you said.starwars

Date: March 01, 2008 12:00AM

Beeeej
bub
?

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 12:03AM

RichH
lynah80

Uh...what?

What's your point again?

And I'd think that wearing skates while standing on wooden benches would damage the benches quite a bit.

Date: March 01, 2008 12:05AM

French Rage
And I'd think that wearing skates while standing on wooden benches would damage the benches quite a bit.
People would probably fall over sideways too. Dominos!

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 12:30AM

lynah80
Jacob '06

Which Cornell players thought it was funny? Please cite your sources. Do you want to have fun, or do you want to beat Harvard?

Topher Scott, for example. [cornellsun.com]
Topher Scott in the Cornell Daily Sun
“We owe them for what happened,” said junior assistant captain Topher Scott. “We still have a bad taste in our mouth from the ECACs and them beating us here on Senior Night. … We’re looking forward to getting it all out on the ice and proving we’re a better team.”

Although Scott said that the players on the team enjoy the fishy tradition — “It adds fuel to the fire,” he said — Schafer and Andy Noel, the Director of Athletics, have a slightly different take.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 12:59AM

lynah80

I think this post is totally lame.

Let's throw fish and play hockey.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2008 01:40AM

judy
polar

Am I the only one who worried what the high mercury levels would do to the ice? uhoh

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: redice (---.154.218.149.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 07:22AM

French Rage

That's likely just coach-speak for nothing bothers my guys. Come on. Out of that group of Harvard players, like any group, there some who appreciate it, some who hate it, some who tolerate it (because they have no choice), and then there's the group that doesn't give a rat's ass!!

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 10:29AM

Will
lynah80

I think this post is totally lame.

Let's throw fish and play hockey.

Somebody throw lynah80 on the ice. With all due respect sir, he's beginning to bore me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login