Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Dartmouth Pregame (Tshen, please start the game thread if you are available)

Posted by lynah80 
Dartmouth Pregame (Tshen, please start the game thread if you are available)
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 03:26AM

While many are already focused on the Harvard game, no one would dispute that Dartmouth can not be overlooked. The Big Red has to beat the Big Green.

Dartmouth is a very unpredictable team; this isn't too surprising given the high number of freshman and sophomores. They have defeated some strong opponents including #3 UNH (5-3 Jan 19), #10 Clarkson (3-1 Jan 11), #16 BU (3-2 Jan 15), and #21 Quinnipiac (7-2 Feb 15) but lost or tied some weak opponents including Brown (4-3, Feb 2 and 5-4 Feb 22), American International (3-3, Jan 27), and St. Lawrence (8-3 Jan 13). Although their overall record is fair at 10-13-4, their ECAC record is poor at 5-12-3 (1-6-2 away). In the RPI, they are ranked 38th in the nation.

Dartmouth is an average sized team (mean 190 lbs vs 189 for Cornell, not including goalies) that is better known for their offense (3.19 goals/game #2 ECAC) than their defense (3.22 goals/game #11 in the ECAC). Goal tending is supposed to be one of their strengths, although in my opinion, Mike Devine is overrated with a 2.91 GAA and a 0.914 save%. However, he has had some exceptional games including UNH (54 saves).

Last weekend, Dartmouth loaded up their first line with Wyman (15-14-29), Reeds (8-9-17) and Johnson (8-24-32), which helped in their impressive 7-2 victory over Yale. Against Brown, Wyman skated with Pritchard (6-7-13) and Fleming (6-4-10); Grecu (6-11-17) skated on the first line with Reeds and Johnson. Wyman has missed a few games recently due to an injury (I don't know what it was). Dartmouth shuffles their lines a fair amount and it will be interesting to see how they set up against Cornell.

I think one of the keys to the game will be penalties. Cornell is one of the more heavily penalized teams in the ECAC with 15.0 PIM/game (#4); Dartmouth is #12 with only 10.1 PIM/game. Dartmouth has the best power play in the conference (20.4%) and the worst penalty kill (78.6%). Cornell needs to stay out of the box and use their outstanding power play (19.1%) to put the game out of reach.

Everyone for Cornell except Nicholls and Reoszler should be available for the game. If they skate hard, stay focused and out of the box, they will win.

Cornell 4, Dartmouth 2

Re: Dartmouth Pregame (Tshen, please start the game thread if you are available)
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 08:12AM

lynah80
I think one of the keys to the game will be penalties. Cornell is one of the more heavily penalized teams in the ECAC with 15.0 PIM/game (#4); Dartmouth is #12 with only 10.1 PIM/game.

CU is actually second in PIM in conference stats. However even that is somewhat misleading. They are sixth in PK opportunities, which means a lot of matching minors, or more likely more 10 min. misconducts. That said Dartmouth is twelfth in PK.

Re: Dartmouth Pregame (Tshen, please start the game thread if you are available)
Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 29, 2008 11:13AM

lynah80
While many are already focused on the Harvard game, no one would dispute that Dartmouth can not be overlooked. The Big Red has to beat the Big Green.

Dartmouth is a very unpredictable team; this isn't too surprising given the high number of freshman and sophomores. They have defeated some strong opponents including #3 UNH (5-3 Jan 19), #10 Clarkson (3-1 Jan 11), #16 BU (3-2 Jan 15), and #21 Quinnipiac (7-2 Feb 15) but lost or tied some weak opponents including Brown (4-3, Feb 2 and 5-4 Feb 22), American International (3-3, Jan 27), and St. Lawrence (8-3 Jan 13). Although their overall record is fair at 10-13-4, their ECAC record is poor at 5-12-3 (1-6-2 away). In the RPI, they are ranked 38th in the nation.

Dartmouth is an average sized team (mean 190 lbs vs 189 for Cornell, not including goalies) that is better known for their offense (3.19 goals/game #2 ECAC) than their defense (3.22 goals/game #11 in the ECAC). Goal tending is supposed to be one of their strengths, although in my opinion, Mike Devine is overrated with a 2.91 GAA and a 0.914 save%. However, he has had some exceptional games including UNH (54 saves).

Last weekend, Dartmouth loaded up their first line with Wyman (15-14-29), Reeds (8-9-17) and Johnson (8-24-32), which helped in their impressive 7-2 victory over Yale. Against Brown, Wyman skated with Pritchard (6-7-13) and Fleming (6-4-10); Grecu (6-11-17) skated on the first line with Reeds and Johnson. Wyman has missed a few games recently due to an injury (I don't know what it was). Dartmouth shuffles their lines a fair amount and it will be interesting to see how they set up against Cornell.

I think one of the keys to the game will be penalties. Cornell is one of the more heavily penalized teams in the ECAC with 15.0 PIM/game (#4); Dartmouth is #12 with only 10.1 PIM/game. Dartmouth has the best power play in the conference (20.4%) and the worst penalty kill (78.6%). Cornell needs to stay out of the box and use their outstanding power play (19.1%) to put the game out of reach.

Everyone for Cornell except Nicholls and Reoszler should be available for the game. If they skate hard, stay focused and out of the box, they will win.

Cornell 4, Dartmouth 2
This is lame.

Throw Indians.

Thanks for the analysis, Lynah 80.

Posted by: RedintheGreen (---.Dartmouth.EDU)
Date: February 29, 2008 12:09PM

I have to agree with a lot of lynah80's comments. I have watched Dartmouth for most of the season and they are a very inexperienced team. The Wyman, Johnson, Grecu line is probably one of the strongest in the ECAC, but that's basically where the positives of this team ends. The defense is young and constantly makes bonehead mistakes. They are always leaving Devine to stand on his head in order to keep them in the game. Similar to how Cornell's defense can often help a goalie, dartmouth's terrible defense hurts Devine. I wouldn't underestimate them, but scoring right out of the blocks is the best way to keep them out of this game. Overall Dartmouth is pretty bad on the road and hopefully Cornell can pull out the win.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 03:51PM

Jim Hyla

CU is actually second in PIM in conference stats. However even that is somewhat misleading. They are sixth in PK opportunities, which means a lot of matching minors, or more likely more 10 min. misconducts. That said Dartmouth is twelfth in PK.

I agree and thank you for pointing this out.

Posted by: jaybert (---.dllstx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 06:49PM

redcast is up fyi...for the BB game as well.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 07:01PM

jaybert
Is there a way to open both simultaneously in WMP in windows XP? Every time I click on one while the other is open it just opens it in the same window so I can only watch 1.

Posted by: jaybert (---.dllstx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 07:03PM

i am using osx so it wouldnt be much help...but what i did was save the streaming file and open it up manually in quicktime and VLC. should be able to do something similar in windows im guessing.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: February 29, 2008 07:03PM

Jacob '06
jaybert
Is there a way to open both simultaneously in WMP in windows XP? Every time I click on one while the other is open it just opens it in the same window so I can only watch 1.

Good question. If you have another media player that can handle WM content, you could do a contextual menu "open with" or something appropriate to your operating system.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 07:42PM

jaybert
i am using osx so it wouldnt be much help...but what i did was save the streaming file and open it up manually in quicktime and VLC. should be able to do something similar in windows im guessing.

I'm also on a mac but I have both open in two separate safari windows without issue.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 11:07PM

When I had problems with sound not being with video at away game last week, I opened video in Firefox and separate audio tract in IE and got both.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2008 01:31AM

RichH
Jacob '06
jaybert

Good question. If you have another media player that can handle WM content, you could do a contextual menu "open with" or something appropriate to your operating system.

Borrow someone else's laptop?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: redice (---.154.218.149.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 07:13AM

lynah80

Cornell 4, Dartmouth 2

Well, you were right. 6 goals were scored last night. whistle

Why the change in Nicholls' status. Or should I ask "who was that masked man" (wearing #29)?

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 09:32AM

Nicholls was listed as questionable before the game at CHN. I think he was put in the lineup for his defensive skills in place of Barlow. You can check Brandon Thomas' blog at the Ithaca Journal. Barlow is very skilled offensively but I don't think Mike trusts him on defense.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 01:15PM

jtwcornell91
RichH
Jacob '06
jaybert

Borrow someone else's laptop?

Thats what I did. Used my laptop for the hockey game and my fiance's for the basketball. Probably the plan again tonight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login