Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Princeton 2 Cornell 1 postgame

Posted by billhoward 
Princeton 2 Cornell 1 postgame
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 10:34PM

Cornell wins two one-goal OT games in the national sports of Canada Friday night and Saturday afternoon plus the basketball team knocks off the toughest 2007-08 opponent, so in the scheme of things the 2-1 loss at Princeton was digestable.

Princeton won the first period, it was even in the second, and Cornell dominated the third with real hustle and at least a half-dozen solid scoring chances that just went wide or the pass skipped over a stick or the pass arrived a millisecond too early or late. This was pretty much the tone of the game:
Shots by Period
Team   1 2  3 Tot
COR    7 6 11 24
PRIN  13 8  3 24

Funny feeling playing in Princeton against a team that once in a while beats you but is always inferior ... but this year is probably the better team. But not better enough that we couldn't take them should there be a playoff.

Friday Quinnipiac's game plan was to bodycheck everything in red. Saturday Princeton's plan was, in part, to check the crap out of Riley Nash. He got hammered including once crossing over the Princeton blue line in the first. Either that was part of the game plan (likely) or he wasn't having a heads-up night (less likely, since he still was magical around the net but again without any points to show for the magic).

Awesome first (actually only) Cornell goal, a PPG, where Topher put a pinpoint pass on the stick of Mike Devin. That and Cornell's Friday PPG made me feel a lot better about the Cornell power play. Princeton was also pretty easy to defend against on their power plays, notwithstanding that the GWG was a PPG. It came about this way: Princeton hammered a bunch of Cornell players and most of the Conrell fans who could see down in the corner in front of the Big Red band were yelling for a penalty against Princeton, and what emerged five seconds later was a high sticking whistle against Ray Sawada.

Brendon Nash got called for a cross-check and game misconduct for a cheap shot hit after the end of the game (cheap shot unless we missed a spear or something by Princeton that set off Nash; Princeton's Mike Moore got 2 minutes for roughing which apeared to be retaliation not instigating). Let's hope the score sheet has it right as a misconduct and not game disqualification for next Friday.

There's lots of pices of the game to like about Cornell hockey -- pieces more so than the whole -- and right now, realistically speaking, we've got a good shot at making the final four of the ECAC quarterfinals and then we'll have to see. That's based on how the team looks after this weekend. I think I'd rather go up against Princeton one more time than Quinnipiac. We're a team that would benefit immensely from the time to heal a first-round bye would afford us. If we let the puck wind up in the slot in front of Scrivens as happened Friday, we're toast; if we play as we did in Saturday's third period, we could play the best of the WCHA evenly (with our luck to a scoreless tie).

Some non-attendees asked if the Quinnipiac crowd was a bunch of rank amateurs with no hockey smarts. Saturday I got the sense that the Princeton occasionally faithful, who show for us and Harvard, hadn't a clue about the game. A women in front of me yelled, "That's pass interference." Princeton slapshots that went wide got great rounds of applause, effectively proportional to how hard they caromed (wide) off the dasher boards. Guy two seats over saw the Princeton sieve reach to the outside of the net to snag a Cornell shot from the corner that went wide (it would have hit the side of the net) and couldn't stop babbling about how great the save was.

All the warnings we got about the place being sold out and only those who got there right at 6 pm when SRO tickets went on sale would get in ... nonsense. Instead of the usual 500 empty seats (out of 2000), maybe there were 400. On the sides, Baker rink is only six rows deep, but that's all Princeton needs. Hobey Baker Rink remains the nicest prep school hockey rink in all America.

But first, a rematch with Harvard. LGR.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 11:07PM by billhoward.

Re: Princeton 2 Cornell 1 postgame
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2008 11:45PM

billhoward
But first, a rematch with Harvard. LGR.

No, first Dartmouth. Didn't want the gods thinking we were saying a win before we play it.dribble

But another great post, Bill.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2008 09:47PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: February 24, 2008 12:10AM

billhoward
Princeton won the first period, it was even in the second, and Cornell dominated the third with real hustle and at least a half-dozen solid scoring chances that just went wide or the pass skipped over a stick or the pass arrived a millisecond too early or late.

I agree with most of what you have written. However, I think we should give Princeton a little more credit for their play at the end of the second period. The shot by Cam MacIntyre with less than a minute to go went into the Cornell net and bounced back out before the ref could see it. Apparently, the goal judge was either not paying attention at the time, or his view of the puck was obscured. The final score should have been 3-1.

It will be very interesting to see what happens next weekend in Potsdam. I think Clarkson will win, given how well they play at home. However, I think Princeton's fast-skating offense will give them a good scare and a lot to think about before they possibly meet again in Albany.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2008 12:13AM by lynah80.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2008 12:48AM

lynah80
However, I think we should give Princeton a little more credit for their play at the end of the second period. The shot by Cam MacIntyre with less than a minute to go went into the Cornell net and bounced back out before the ref could see it. Apparently, the goal judge was either not paying attention at the time, or his view of the puck was obscured. The final score should have been 3-1.

I disagree; I may not have had as good a view of the play as you, but I would have sworn that the shot went off the post - at best, the inside of the post. The angle of the puck's exit didn't make sense to me in the context of a goal. Either way, neither the goal judge nor the ref saw it, and there's no replay.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 24, 2008 12:53AM

billhoward
Guy two seats over saw the Princeton sieve reach to the outside of the net to snag a Cornell shot from the corner that went wide (it would have hit the side of the net) and couldn't stop babbling about how great the save was.

That raises a rules question for me about a play in the first period: Cornell had entered the Princeton zone, Princeton cleared the puck, and before the last Cornell player had cleared the zone, another one dumped it back in with a high, wide shot. Kalemba came out of the net and reached several feet to his right, very clearly wide of the goalpost, to grab the puck - and an assistant ref blew the play dead as offsides.

Am I crazy, or doesn't a shot on goal actually have to be a shot on goal to trigger an offsides call?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: February 24, 2008 01:06AM

Beeeej
billhoward
Guy two seats over saw the Princeton sieve reach to the outside of the net to snag a Cornell shot from the corner that went wide (it would have hit the side of the net) and couldn't stop babbling about how great the save was.

That raises a rules question for me about a play in the first period: Cornell had entered the Princeton zone, Princeton cleared the puck, and before the last Cornell player had cleared the zone, another one dumped it back in with a high, wide shot. Kalemba came out of the net and reached several feet to his right, very clearly wide of the goalpost, to grab the puck - and an assistant ref blew the play dead as offsides.

Am I crazy, or doesn't a shot on goal actually have to be a shot on goal to trigger an offsides call?
I think the general call is going to be anything that appears to be an attempt at a shot on goal. Too lazy to look up the rule, but I'm guessing that the spirit of the rule is that you can whistle it on a wide shot because you can whistle it on a guy hovering near the puck but not touching it.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: February 24, 2008 01:48AM

If the puck had hit the post, everyone would have heard it ring since the puck was hit pretty hard.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2008 02:20AM by lynah80.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2008 02:06AM

Beeeej
billhoward

Did it look as though Kalemba was going to drop the puck instantly for a teammate to play? In normal play he has three seconds to get rid of the puck after catching it. Maybe the assistant ref didn't see "a clear opening for advancing the puck." Or maybe they just blew it.
Rule book
d. If an attacking player precedes the puck, which is shot, passed or deflected into the attacking zone, but a defending player is able to play the puck, the official shall signal a delayed offside. If a puck is shot on goal, however, play shall be stopped immediately for the offside violation.
The official shall drop the arm to nullify the offside violation and allow play to continue if:
(1) The defending team passes or carries the puck into the neutral zone, or
(2) All attacking players in the attacking zone clear the zone by making skate contact with the attacking blue line.
If the attacking team does not clear the attacking zone, the official shall stop play for the offside violation if any attacking player touches the puck, or attempts to gain possession of a loose puck while the puck is still in the attacking zone, or forces the defending puck carrier further back into the attacking zone.
The attacking zone must be completely clear of attacking players before a delayed offside can be nullified with the puck still in the attacking zone....
e. Whenever a defensive player gains possession of the puck on a delayed offside, play should not be stopped when that player has a clear opening for advancing the puck.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2008 09:30AM

Anyone else at the game get the sense Princeton was targeting Riley Nash? Or was Nash just randomly unfortunate to get in front of a half-dozen crunching body checks?

Date: February 24, 2008 09:47AM

Beeeej
lynah80
However, I think we should give Princeton a little more credit for their play at the end of the second period. The shot by Cam MacIntyre with less than a minute to go went into the Cornell net and bounced back out before the ref could see it. Apparently, the goal judge was either not paying attention at the time, or his view of the puck was obscured. The final score should have been 3-1.

I disagree; I may not have had as good a view of the play as you, but I would have sworn that the shot went off the post - at best, the inside of the post. The angle of the puck's exit didn't make sense to me in the context of a goal. Either way, neither the goal judge nor the ref saw it, and there's no replay.

Hey, Didn't anyone watch Age's replay. He put it up during the game. Or maybe those of you who attend an occasional game or two,:-P don't go back and read the game thread. It's clear that the puck was in. The ref was screened, but I don't know why the goal judge didn't see it, other than it was fast.

Go back and review it. All the Cornell players stopped and Princeton celebrated. So both teams thought it was a goal. Princeton only can blame their own goal judge.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2008 10:39AM

When I try playing back the file Age posted, I get 19 seconds of pure black nothing. QuickTime 7.4.1 tells me that QuickTime needs "additional software" to play the file properly, and directs me to a page listing a dozen different things. I'm not in the mood to install a dozen pieces of software just to watch 19 seconds of video. Can anybody give me a clue to help me figure out exactly which codec / extension / whatever this thing requires?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2008 11:04AM

Yup,Age's replay shows it clearly in the net if you pause on the right frame. Here's the link for those who missed it in the game thread (or were at the game and didn't read the game thread that closely):
[www.elynah.com]

Beeeej, it came out like that because it hit the padded bottom post at the back of the net. Edit: I see why you thought that though, when it came out it came out passing *right* by the inside of the post, but it started well back from that.

Arthur, I looked into it a little bit and the file is actually a Windows Media video. If you're on a Mac, you'll need "Flip4Mac" which is software that lets QT play WMV. On a PC, you may want to save the file, (perhaps optionally?) change the extension to .wmv, and play it in Windows Media.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2008 11:29AM by DeltaOne81.

Date: February 24, 2008 11:27AM

DeltaOne81
Yup,Age's replay shows it clearly in the net if you pause on the right frame. Here's the link for those who missed it in the game thread (or were at the game and didn't read the game thread that closely):
[www.elynah.com]

Beeeej, it came out like that because it hit the padded bottom post at the back of the net. Dunno what angle you thought you saw, but it was in.

Arthur, I looked into it a little bit and the file is actually a Windows Media video. If you're on a Mac, you'll need "Flip4Mac" which is software that lets QT play WMV. On a PC, you may want to save the file, (perhaps optionally?) change the extension to .wmv, and play it in Windows Media.

Isn't it actually a QT .mov file? That's the extension I get when I load it or toggle over the link above. It easily opens on QT on my Mac and QT asks for extra software on my PC. I never tried to get all that on my PC, the Mac being much easier.

I suspect once Age gets around to it he'll correct all of us.starwars

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2008 11:46AM

Jim Hyla
Isn't it actually a QT .mov file? That's the extension I get when I load it or toggle over the link above. It easily opens on QT on my Mac and QT asks for extra software on my PC. I never tried to get all that on my PC, the Mac being much easier.

I suspect once Age gets around to it he'll correct all of us.starwars

A QT .mov file can actually contain many things - various sorts of MPEGs, etc. In this case I checked it with VLC and it tells me the audio is WMA and the video is WMV3. It'll play fine on QT a Mac with Flip4Mac installed - which is mostly the default now-a-days since MS stopped developing Windows Media for Mac a while back.

Again MS's unevenness between the platforms causes issues, but, in this particular case, its more annoying for PC users... 'bout time ;)

Date: February 24, 2008 12:00PM

Jim - I don't know about you, but I'm a fairly busy guy, and when I actually attend the game I rarely read the game thread. More to the point, I have no reason to expect that anybody has posted a video clip in the game thread that would precisely answer a point I make in the post-game thread; in fact, I would be surprised to see something like that in the game thread instead of in the post-game thread. I really can't tell you the last time someone posted a video clip in the game thread at all. So while I appreciated someone else's helpful direction to the clip, I'm not sure I appreciated yours at all.

The clip clearly shows a goal, though. Thanks, Age, for posting it.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 24, 2008 12:24PM

Beeeej
Jim - I don't know about you, but I'm a fairly busy guy, and when I actually attend the game I rarely read the game thread. More to the point, I have no reason to expect that anybody has posted a video clip in the game thread that would precisely answer a point I make in the post-game thread; in fact, I would be surprised to see something like that in the game thread instead of in the post-game thread. I really can't tell you the last time someone posted a video clip in the game thread at all. So while I appreciated someone else's helpful direction to the clip, I'm not sure I appreciated yours at all.

Yes, I always go back over the game thread. But I realize many might not. That's why I put the emoticon in my post, I was trying to poke fun at you. I'm sorry if you took offense. I'll try and be more sensitive next time.

It really doesn't take much time to scroll thru the game thread afterwards, and it's often fun, and sometimes enlightening. This time Age was responding to a request that it would be great to see the replay.

Date: February 24, 2008 12:29PM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej

Yes, I always go back over the game thread. But I realize many might not. That's why I put the emoticon in my post, I was trying to poke fun at you. I'm sorry if you took offense. I'll try and be more sensitive next time.

I didn't take offense; luckily, I'm a little thicker-skinned than that. But I did think that pretty much everything you said besides "here's a clip of it" was utterly unnecessary. :-)

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2008 01:14PM

DeltaOne81

Thanks, tried it, but it didn't work. "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." So we're back to "which codec do I need ...?"

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 24, 2008 01:25PM

ACM
DeltaOne81

Thanks, tried it, but it didn't work. "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." So we're back to "which codec do I need ...?"

What OS are you using?

Posted by: mhand06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2008 01:42PM

Lets hope that we win this weekend

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2008 03:47PM

I don't know what Codec Art is using but I have tried this on two PCs one of which has a bunch of codecs and with more than three players. I haven't done any research to attempt to install more playing ability.

And I also tried to convert it with "Super" a free video conversion utility - all for naught.

Posted by: PAthologicalLynah (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2008 04:08PM

First, thanks for posting the video for the benefit of all.

I did a little bit of digging and I don't think Windows or Linux users will be able to view the video. As some people have mentioned above, the file container is .MOV, but the video stream inside of it is WMV3. Ironically*, with flip4mac, mac users can play this video through quicktime, but the windows quicktime player will not (it can open it and play the audio stream, but not the video.) Renaming the extension won't help because the container is .MOV.

I've tried VLC and a few other tools to extract the WMV3 stream, but none were successful. If some nice Mac user were to export it to a quicktime or MP4, I think everyone would be able to see the goal. I mean no goal.

* - It's ironic because WMV3 is a microsoft format (sort of. It's actually their implementation of a standard, VC-1, but of course it only was ever implemented on windows, until flip4mac came along.)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 07:35PM

Beeeej
More to the point, I have no reason to expect that anybody has posted a video clip in the game thread that would precisely answer a point I make in the post-game thread; in fact, I would be surprised to see something like that in the game thread instead of in the post-game thread.
Clearly you underestimate our esteemed host.

Posted by: Turkeybone (---.mivlmd.cablespeed.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 11:10PM

A little birdy tells me Andrew J. Noel punished the band for waving newspapers during the Princeton player introductions -- now in a thread people will read!

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 11:22PM

Turkeybone
A little birdy tells me Andrew J. Noel punished the band for waving newspapers during the Princeton player introductions -- now in a thread people will read!
He really has too much time on his hands. I wonder if I'm getting my money's worth out of his reign of good behavior?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.host.starwoodhotels.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 11:34PM

Turkeybone

It was for waving papers during the Princeton "senior night ceremony", which took the place of their player introductions. Although with the shitty PA system in Baker, it'd be almost plausible for bandies to claim they didn't know it was something other than the starting lineup being introduced.

But hey, at least the band didn't say "sucks", right?

Maybe Andy would rather have the pep band that shows up midway through the first period... rolleyes
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 11:35PM by Jordan 04.

Date: February 25, 2008 11:38PM

Jordan 04
Turkeybone

It was for waving papers during the Princeton "senior night ceremony", which took the place of their player introductions. Although with the shitty PA system in Baker, it'd be almost plausible for bandies to claim they didn't know it was something other than the starting lineup being introduced.

But hey, at least the band didn't say "sucks", right?

Maybe Andy would rather have the pep band that shows up midway through the first period... rolleyes

It wasn't just for "waving papers" - they also loudly chanted "boring" during the senior night introductions. And there was absolutely no mistaking the senior night introductions for anything other than what they were, especially after the first one. I'm not an Andy Noel fan, but I don't blame him at all. The band should know better, that was classless.

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 11:39PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.host.starwoodhotels.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 11:47PM

If I was the Princeton AD, I'd be more concerned with why I don't have a band in the building until 7:30, and why 30-40 Cornell fans can be heard over the (non-existent) cheering of a couple thousand (non-existent) Princeton fans honoring their Senior Class during the team's best season in 10 years, than I would be with soliciting letters of apology from the opponent's band.

But he chooses what battles to pick. In fairness, he did chose the much easier one.

Date: February 26, 2008 12:00AM

Jordan 04
If I was the Princeton AD, I'd be more concerned with why I don't have a band in the building until 7:30, and why 30-40 Cornell fans can be heard over the (non-existent) cheering of a couple thousand (non-existent) Princeton fans honoring their Senior Class during the team's best season in 10 years, than I would be with soliciting letters of apology from the opponent's band.

But he chooses what battles to pick. In fairness, he did chose the much easier one.

Shockingly, none of what you said makes what our band did any less stupid or classless.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-75-217-81.myvzw.com)
Date: February 26, 2008 02:40AM

Beeeej is right: The fans throughout the rink (Cornell fans) waved papers and chanted "Boring" - as did perhaps the pep band (I couldn't see them from my seat then). It was during the senior night introductions, that much was clear, even if the PA system wasn't crystal clear. In adult hindsight, what transpired was sophomoric: Cornell partisans interrupted a ceremony for Princeton seniors and their families. It must have been embarrassing to Princeton. But still.

Outside the rink, much is made of being polite and correct to others with racial, religious, physical disability (sorry: physical difference), or ethnic diversity, so some might argue: Why can't we just respect academic-choice diversity and shut up for the three minutes of the senior night intros? Or do we need some place to break away from rigid PC-ness?

I believe Cornell would have been classier if we let Princeton honor its seniors without any input from the Big Red side. I still think Scrivens and Nash need to win games for Cornell, not the fans. We can be supportive but not the deciding factor.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2008 05:38AM

FWIW, we should extend a similar courtesy to the other team's Alma Mater. Not that opposing fans are all that courteous during ours... (Although I have to say, the Clarkson thing with the lighters still cracks me up.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.moore.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 26, 2008 08:16AM

jtwcornell91
FWIW, we should extend a similar courtesy to the other team's Alma Mater. Not that opposing fans are all that courteous during ours... (Although I have to say, the Clarkson thing with the lighters still cracks me up.)

Along the lines of this thread, my own personal beliefs are reflected below on things you should not do at a hockey game. It burns me to say that Cornell fans are much better at obeying these 'rules' of mine than Clarkson fans. somehow cornell fans have the ability to be the classiest and (sometimes) the rudest fans in the league.

3 things not to do at a college hockey game.
1. Cheer, taunt, or play over the other school's alma mater
2. The Black hole chant in the first period, (or most cases, in the second period) of a game that is tied.
3. Taunt, Cheer, Heckle, yell, anything when an opposing player is down on the ice.

Posted by: pfm10 (---.pg.com)
Date: February 26, 2008 11:06AM

Dpperk29
3. Taunt, Cheer, Heckle, yell, anything when an opposing player is down on the ice.

I refuse to let you, or anyone else, make me feel remorse for telling an opposing player he can't skate when he loses an edge and falls down on the ice. But I will agree that an injury shouldn't draw a cheer.

Date: February 26, 2008 11:26AM

pfm10
Dpperk29

I refuse to let you, or anyone else, make me feel remorse for telling an opposing player he can't skate when he loses an edge and falls down on the ice. But I will agree that an injury shouldn't draw a cheer.

Yeah, I don't think the protypical "tripping over the blue line" is the scenario Dpperk29 meant when he said "is down on the ice." I agree with your distinction 100%. I was quite relieved when "Scrape him off the ice!" died out at Lynah years ago.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 26, 2008 11:26AM

Dpperk29
1. Cheer, taunt, or play over the other school's alma mater
2. The Black hole chant in the first period, (or most cases, in the second period) of a game that is tied.
Generally I agree with you, except if a game is hypothetically tied 4-4 in the second period I see nothing wrong with making fun of the other team's goalie (in the form of Black Hole or otherwise).

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.180.---)
Date: February 26, 2008 12:37PM

pfm10
Dpperk29

I meant for injuries. I enjoy more than anyone laughing at people who temporarily forget how to skate

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.180.---)
Date: February 26, 2008 12:47PM

Josh '99
Generally I agree with you, except if a game is hypothetically tied 4-4 in the second period I see nothing wrong with making fun of the other team's goalie (in the form of Black Hole or otherwise).

I just remember in 04-05 (I think) during the second michigan state game hearing one of the student sections do the Blackhole chant with the game tied in the second period 1-1. we all know how that ended.

Date: February 26, 2008 02:13PM

Dpperk29
Josh '99

I just remember in 04-05 (I think) during the second michigan state game hearing one of the student sections do the Blackhole chant with the game tied in the second period 1-1. we all know how that ended.
Yeah - generally I think Black Hole is silly if the goalie is playing a good game. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter, of course.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: February 26, 2008 02:19PM

Josh '99
Dpperk29
Josh '99

Yeah - generally I think Black Hole is silly if the goalie is playing a good game. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter, of course.

I think 3 goals is the minimum for starting the Black Hole cheer. And even then it's not a great cheer if your own goalie has let in an equal number or, heaven forbid, more.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 26, 2008 02:36PM

Killer
Josh '99
Dpperk29
Josh '99

I think 3 goals is the minimum for starting the Black Hole cheer. And even then it's not a great cheer if your own goalie has let in an equal number or, heaven forbid, more.
Can we institute penalties to go with all of these cheering rules? I always saw Black Hole as a great version of "____ Sucks," and it could be said at any time. It sounds silly if the home goalie is really stinking up the ice but who cares?

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 26, 2008 02:44PM

I gotta throw one in to this...

Thou shalt not chant "Scoreboard" at any point during the game.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2008 05:11PM

Man, you guys are sounding kind of snobbish, aren't you? You can't do the black hole cheer unless he's given up so many goals, and only if it's not the first period? Can never say scoreboard?

Look, I think we should be respectful, and certainly that includes during their alma mater, senior night, etc. . However, cheers? Do them when you want to. It's only you who looks foolish if you start clanging keys and yelling go start the bus, with a one goal lead. I always thought the point of the black hole cheer was that he sucks, good save or not, he sucks. I mean some of you say sucks every time Harvard is mentioned. I personally think that's crazy, but you're entitled to do it if you want to.

So how about letting people cheer when and how they want to. Otherwise aren't we becoming a branch of the administration's cheer police?

Date: February 26, 2008 05:17PM

Jim Hyla
Man, you guys are sounding kind of snobbish, aren't you? You can't do the black hole cheer unless he's given up so many goals, and only if it's not the first period? Can never say scoreboard?

Look, I think we should be respectful, and certainly that includes during their alma mater, senior night, etc. . However, cheers? Do them when you want to. It's only you who looks foolish if you start clanging keys and yelling go start the bus, with a one goal lead. I always thought the point of the black hole cheer was that he sucks, good save or not, he sucks. I mean some of you say sucks every time Harvard is mentioned. I personally think that's crazy, but you're entitled to do it if you want to.

So how about letting people cheer when and how they want to. Otherwise aren't we becoming a branch of the administration's cheer police?
You used the word "sucks", I'm sorry but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. crazy

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2008 06:12PM

Sorry. It should be whatever the original codec was. I was just able to copy a piece out in QuickTime Player and save it. It's obviously something Flip4Mac handles because when I try to re-encode it, it slaps a watermark all over the image.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2008 08:25PM

Jim Hyla

I thought people were being, um, funny? looking

However, thou shalt never, ever jingle your keys in a one-goal game. Don't make me come down there.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 27, 2008 01:01PM

I have to admit that it took a while before I recognized that it was a senior night ceremony. That's because of the lousy sound system, combined with the faithful originally thinking it was simple introductions. When I realized that I stopped with the paper.

I did have a problem with the length of the ceremony. ("Tommy graduated from Nassau Elementary School with a 3.75 GPA before attending John Witherspoon middle school";). And it did cross my mind that the reason the introductions were so long to silence the Faithful, but that's probably just my typical paranoia.

Regarding when to cheer or what to cheer: Cheer when you want and what you want as long as it isn't blatently offensive. You want to jingle keys, jingle keys. There shouldn't be rules on when to cheer.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: February 27, 2008 04:13PM

Yeah, especially when it comes to Harvard - let 'em have it whenever you want.

Hey, maybe someone can craft a sign for Richter this weekend on the theme of "Message from the Faithful: No one is Black Holier than Thou"

Posted by: A-ron (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 12:13AM

The band wasn't waving newspapers or chanting "boring" by the time the second senior's bio was mumbled over he PA system. What they were eventually chanting was "let's play hockey." I agree that it wasn't the most classy thing to yell but why did the clock stop counting down at around 35 seconds? Would it have been too obvious when it hit zero and the announcer still wasn't even half way through the announcements? Isn't Cornell's senior ceremony at the end of the game?

While none of this excuses our behavior I find it funny that the Princeton players seemed unable to hear the announcements as well. I saw them turn to he bench and shrug multiple times.

By the way, anyone know why the Princeton band took so long to show up?

Date: February 29, 2008 12:20AM

A-ron
The band wasn't waving newspapers or chanting "boring" by the time the second senior's bio was mumbled over he PA system. What they were eventually chanting was "let's play hockey." I agree that it wasn't the most classy thing to yell but why did the clock stop counting down at around 35 seconds? Would it have been too obvious when it hit zero and the announcer still wasn't even half way through the announcements? Isn't Cornell's senior ceremony at the end of the game?

It's standard practice at most rinks, Lynah included, for the timekeeper to pause the countdown to game-time if the buzzer at 0:00 would otherwise interfere with anything significant, such as the the anthem(s).

By my reckoning "boring" lasted through three of the five seniors, though it was in fact eventually replaced with "let's play hockey." Glad you acknowledge that it wasn't classy.

As for your last question, way to read the whole thread.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 12:30AM

A-ron
Isn't Cornell's senior ceremony at the end of the game?
The reason Cornell's Senior Night ceremony was moved to the end of the game is that the students weren't showing up in time for the ceremony. So they moved it to the end rather than honoring the seniors in front of half empty stands.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 29, 2008 11:45AM

KeithK
A-ron
Isn't Cornell's senior ceremony at the end of the game?
The reason Cornell's Senior Night ceremony was moved to the end of the game is that the students weren't showing up in time for the ceremony. So they moved it to the end rather than honoring the seniors in front of half empty stands.
Which, in Princeton, isn't a choice they have to make.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login