Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3 at Colgate 1 postgame thread

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell 3 at Colgate 1 postgame thread
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 09:22PM

[reposted] Like a Cornell team of 2002-2003 - not much offense but when you only give up 1 goal a game, you win, or at least go to overtime.

I thought tonight (Saturday) at Colgate the dumb penalties were going to do us in.

A pair of late 1-goal wins (tonight plus ENG) is great for morale.

3 radio stars of the game
3 Brendan Nash
2 Riley Nash
1 Evan Barlow 1G 1A

ECAC standings all top four with 14 games
21 Clarkson
19 Cornell (at Clarkson & SLU next week)
18 Qunnipiac and Union
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2008 09:31PM by billhoward.

Cornell 3 at Colgate 1--Postgame
Posted by: redhair34 (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 09:21PM

4-POINT WEEKEND!!!!!

Great effort shorthanded--I think this team might have turned the corner

Re: Cornell 3 at Colgate 1 postgame thread
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 09:24PM

We worked harder for 4 points this weekend than 3 at home last week.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2008 09:26PM by billhoward.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 09:26PM

Princeton 4 RPI 0 Final
Quinnipiac 3 Union 3 OT Final

Clarkson trailing Colorado College 2-0 late 1st
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2008 09:34PM by nyc94.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.133.220.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 09:28PM

Quinny and Union tie 3-3

Beat me to it :-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2008 09:29PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: February 02, 2008 09:29PM

all alone in 2nd place

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 09:35PM

Very gutsy play tonight. They made up for the bad penalties with an exceptional PK, even without Fontas. It was obvious that many guys were wearing down from the big hits, but they hung in there. Colgate has a big physical team, but they just couldn't match the Big Red in skill. I'm glad they didn't hammer Day and just beat him instead.

Time to head North.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 09:40PM

For the first time in two seasons, Cornell ascends to the orange (+5 in ECAC).

Date: February 02, 2008 09:42PM

Trotsky

banana

Date: February 02, 2008 09:45PM

billhoward
Honestly, I think that was the hardest working weekend for Cornell since the 2006 NCAA regionals.

Date: February 02, 2008 09:48PM

Trotsky
billhoward
Honestly, I think that was the hardest working weekend for Cornell since the 2006 NCAA regionals.

I completely agree and hope it is a sign of things to come.

Posted by: mhand06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 09:55PM

nice win red...why didnt tyler roeszler play?

Date: February 02, 2008 09:58PM

is there a bus that goes to the clarkson game? Is there tickets? how much does it cost?

Date: February 02, 2008 09:59PM

mhand06
nice win red...why didnt tyler roeszler play?

I believe he got injured when the North Country teams came to town.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2008 10:01PM

mhand06
is there a bus that goes to the clarkson game? Is there tickets? how much does it cost?

Can't remember there having been a CHA bus to Clarkson/St. Lawrence before... it's an extremely long trip. I suspect we'd have heard about it by now. Is there a rideboard somewhere on any Cornell website these days? Or you could try Craigslist and/or Facebook. I know some Lynah Faithful make the trip every year, just not as many as for most away games because of the remote location.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 02, 2008 10:02PM

mhand06

No bus, there are tickets (check with Cornell Ticket Office early in the week if you want to sit in the Cornell section), probably like 8-12 bucks--not too bad. Stick around for Saturday and you'll get to watch the game in an awesome barn.

Date: February 02, 2008 10:05PM

ok i hope that there is a bus i want to go. can someone help me look?

Date: February 02, 2008 10:15PM

oh yeah tyler has a separated shoulder

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 10:44PM

Trotsky

Hey, somebody ought to do a bathroom wall with that tile color.bugeye

Date: February 02, 2008 10:48PM

mhand06

I bought tickets from Cornell last night and they still had some. However they have to send them back Tuesday I was told, so if you want some call Monday. There must be some people driving up. I am, but only from Syracuse.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 10:55PM

Clarkson getting crushed 6-1 about halfway through the third at Colorado College so the Championship Belt stays in the WCHA. Clarkson lost 5-2 last night.

Date: February 02, 2008 10:56PM

billhoward
3 radio stars of the game
3 Brendan Nash
2 Riley Nash
1 Evan Barlow 1G 1A

Collegehockeystats put Riley as first star. I like the radio pick of Barlow. It was his terrific pass that got the winning goal.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 11:10PM

Even if there isn't a bus I highly recommend taking the trip. Clarkson is a big game, and like redhair said Saturday at Appelton is a great rink.

I didn't even have a place to stay when I went (should've know there weren't enough hotels in Potsdam to satisfy the faithful). A Clarkson fan offered up his apartment to my friends and I while he spent the rest of his night in jail after being arrested for multiple reasons. Add to that the weather being absolutely freezing, and how is that not your typical North Country trip?

Date: February 02, 2008 11:16PM

oceanst41
I didn't even have a place to stay when I went (should've know there weren't enough hotels in Potsdam to satisfy the faithful)

For those in a similar situation, I'd recommend looking in Odgensburg or Massena (I've stayed at hotels/motels in both towns after the Friday night game), especially if you plan on going to Ottawa during the day on Saturday. Both choices are probably better options than a jail cell. :-P

Date: February 02, 2008 11:34PM

oceanst41
Add to that the weather being absolutely freezing, and how is that not your typical North Country trip?
No food poisoning.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2008 01:23AM

Beeeej
mhand06

Can't remember there having been a CHA bus to Clarkson/St. Lawrence before... it's an extremely long trip. I suspect we'd have heard about it by now. Is there a rideboard somewhere on any Cornell website these days? Or you could try Craigslist and/or Facebook. I know some Lynah Faithful make the trip every year, just not as many as for most away games because of the remote location.
The old CUInfo ride board page [www.cuinfo.cornell.edu] sends you to ZimRide, a service of Facebook [www.zimride.com].

Posted by: BMac (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2008 03:37AM

Amazing game. Cornell controlled posession almost all game long and Scrivens was rock solid- this seemed kind of like an '04-05 game. WHOA! I CAN'T BELIEVE I SAID THAT!

I'm very, very happy with this game. Many guys hurt, hostile rink, patience and focused, measured rage. Controlled win. Almost no dumb penalties, and an Iggulden-like 2-minutes-left goal with great patience.

BTW, are ALL colgate cheers just Lynah copies? From the TV, it sounded like all they have is "let's go gate" and "and they still suck."

Also, Scali has got to slow down on the shortie attempts and one-time them- second time this weekend!

And imafrshmn was quite clearly on TV with his blue hat after the ENG.

Awesome game!

OK last thought- the highlights from yesterday were sweet. Scrivens had a divine kick-save and Greening split two defenders so bad he broke some guy's stick. Can I call him Iggulden from now on? If this guy stays, he's gonna be incredible.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 03, 2008 08:01AM

BMac
BTW, are ALL colgate cheers just Lynah copies? From the TV, it sounded like all they have is "let's go gate" and "and they still suck."

Somehow, I doubt that the Lynah Faithful invented either "Let's Go [Monosyllabic Team Descriptor]!" or "[Opposing Team] returns to full strength...AND THEY STILL SUCK!" This still doesn't take away from the fact that Colgate student fans are among the worst fans in the ECAC, if not all of D-I hockey.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2008 11:16AM

BMac
And imafrshmn was quite clearly on TV with his blue hat after the ENG.

Sweet!

Good game last night. Our team D and PK are looking real good. The thing that concerns me, as others have talked about, is that we don't generate a ton of scoring opportunities and when we do, we haven't been the keenest in capitalizing on them, so it's gonna be hard to win down the stretch unless we expect to limit the opposition to 1 goal a game which is optimistic. Another note, Scott and Sawada are really missing Mike Kennedy. Patrick has a long way to go in his development. Pray that Mike's injury won't keep him out for much longer.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: February 03, 2008 11:30AM

BMac
BTW, are ALL colgate cheers just Lynah copies?

At this point, pretty much most of the cheers that many of us think are traditional "Lynah cheers" are done everywhere in one form or another. Blame the internet, blame people picking up things gradually from visiting fans. Even Union does "It's all your fault!" now. UNION!!! The only things I used to hear at Achilles out of their fans were "Red and White make pink! You're gay!"

About the only unique cheers for other ECAC teams I can think of:

Clarkson @ 1 minute announcement: OooooooooooKAY!!! And xxxx still sucks!
RPI on a penalty announcement: "penalty on #xx, Joe Opponent" SUCKS!! "Two minutes for" SUCKING!!!

Date: February 03, 2008 12:00PM

RichH
At this point, pretty much most of the cheers that many of us think are traditional "Lynah cheers" are done everywhere in one form or another. Blame the internet, blame people picking up things gradually from visiting fans. Even Union does "It's all your fault!" now. UNION!!! The only things I used to hear at Achilles out of their fans were "Red and White make pink! You're gay!"

Sadly, I also used to hear them yell "Scoreboard!" fairly often, and it never backfired to my satisfaction.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2008 12:22PM

BMac

A funny thing happened during the pre-game time last night... one of the Colgate spirit people got on the ice and with a microphone in hand reminded the 'Gate student section to review their Cheering Cheatsheets!

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 03, 2008 12:25PM

Trotsky
oceanst41
Add to that the weather being absolutely freezing, and how is that not your typical North Country trip?
No food poisoning.

I knew I was leaving something out. While it was no Pizza Hut, we did spend the better part of Saturday at a gas station/fast food place all rolled into one. Still doesn't top the motel/bar/diner in Canton we ate at on Sunday morning, no seriously that was the name of it.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2008 01:11PM

I was impressed by this team's play last night. Colgate was fired up and looking to avenge Friday's loss, but our guys played a focused, physical game. I've been a pessimist for much of this season, but if this team can work out a few kinks, we might see another impressive stretch run.

Scrivens' numbers speak for themselves at this point: 1.90, .935. However, it's unfair and unreasonable to assume that he'll be able to continue to keep us in games in which we only score 1 goal heading in the 3rd. With the 8th best scoring offense in the EZAC, our only chance of winning most games is to have Ben keep the opposition to 1-2 goals. The lack of offense isn't due to a lack of opportunities -- I wish I'd started keeping track of how many looks at open nets Sawada has had. We have a weak offense in a weak conference, and for this team to finish strong some other guys will have to figure out ways to score.

It's tough to fault the team for this in a physical game, but our guys have to cut down on the penalties. Last night, Mike Devin went to the box for knocking a guy down near our net -- on our PP. This could have been avoided if he hadn't been so out of position. Later in the 3rd, Mugford decked a Colgate player who had fired a shot from the blue line after the offsides whistle had blown. I understand the need to retaliate, but a Colgate goal at that point would have put them up 2-1.

Clearing the zone and (still) the breakout play are two other areas in which I'd like to see improvement. Powerplay and penalty kill (Scali!!!) looked good last night. Berk looks over his head on defense, but I'll trust Schafer's judgment as to whether he should be playing. It was good to see Taylor Davenport back on the ice after the report of his serious injury.

Great four-point weekend -- it was the first time in a while that this team played with the same intensity on Saturday that they did on Friday, so I'm cautiously optimistic about the rest of the season. If the team plays this way again next weekend, I can see us coming back with three points.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2008 01:26PM

A hard fought weekend, great 4 points. Both games could have gone either way, especially last night when we were outplayed for most of the third period. PK is still the strength of this team and did an excellent job. Throught Scrivens played well although he will certainly want to have that one goal back.

Good to see Davenport back in the lineup, surprised to see him dressing as a forward, didn't know the guy could play left wing.

Colgate's Burton-Winchester line can skate with anyone in the conference, past that though the rest of their guys generated very few chances.

I thought Colgate's fans were surprisingly tame and well behaved, as opposed to years past, 2005-2006 in particular. To be honest it was kind of disappointing.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2008 05:02PM

Beeeej
mhand06

Can't remember there having been a CHA bus to Clarkson/St. Lawrence before... it's an extremely long trip.

That's an exaggeration. It's four hours from Ithaca. It's further than Cap District and Colgate, on par with Princeton, and closer than everywhere else. It's a boring trip, but not particularly long. I round-tripped to Cheel in a day one year when I couldn't stay for SLU. Even that didn't seem extremely long.

Date: February 03, 2008 10:33PM

Chris '03
Beeeej
mhand06

Can't remember there having been a CHA bus to Clarkson/St. Lawrence before... it's an extremely long trip.

That's an exaggeration. It's four hours from Ithaca. It's further than Cap District and Colgate, on par with Princeton, and closer than everywhere else. It's a boring trip, but not particularly long. I round-tripped to Cheel in a day one year when I couldn't stay for SLU. Even that didn't seem extremely long.

I've round-tripped both games, in fact I'll probably do it this year, since my family won't be going. Yes, I'm a hour closer, but it's not that hard.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: February 04, 2008 01:04AM

nyc94
Clarkson getting crushed 6-1 about halfway through the third at Colorado College so the Championship Belt stays in the WCHA. Clarkson lost 5-2 last night.

From USCHO's game recap:
"The Tigers host St. Cloud State next weekend for a pair of games, while the Golden Knights head home for a pair of games against Cornell University"

I'll bet this correspondent doesn't make it to too many ECAC games and doesn't understand the different scheduling systems.

Date: February 04, 2008 07:16AM

Roy 82
nyc94

From USCHO's game recap:
"The Tigers host St. Cloud State next weekend for a pair of games, while the Golden Knights head home for a pair of games against Cornell University"

I'll bet this correspondent doesn't make it to too many ECAC games and doesn't understand the different scheduling systems.

At least they get game recaps. rolleyes

- Steve Worona

Date: February 04, 2008 06:01PM

I need to get on a bus to Clarkson game i want to go

Date: February 04, 2008 06:05PM

mhand06
I need to get on a bus to Clarkson game i want to go

Have you considered calling or e-mailing someone at the CHA to find out if such a bus exists or is planned?

- Steve Worona

Date: February 04, 2008 06:14PM

How do you find out if there is a bus?

Date: February 04, 2008 06:15PM

CHA? Nope i'll get on it what is cha?

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2008 06:23PM

There won't be a bus for the games, the only CHA bus trips done lately have been to rochester and hamilton. It's a shame though, because Clarkson/SLU are only 4 hours away and along with Colgate are my two favorite places to see an ECAC game. Definitely the most fun road trip of the year.

Hope to see at least a few students there, it seems the notorious traveling fan base has been limited only to alums and townies this year. I'd offer rides if I didn't already have a full car.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2008 08:28PM by Doug '08.

Date: February 04, 2008 06:25PM

oh darn...do u know anyone who is willing to give my friend and her dad and me a ride? We really want to go...so you know for sure that there isnt a bus?

Date: February 04, 2008 09:12PM

mhand06
CHA? Nope i'll get on it what is cha?

Cornell Hockey Association. They're the ones who run the occasional buses to away games, generally much closer ones like Colgate.

- Steve Worona

Bus service to Potsdam
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2008 10:28PM

Try telephoning Adirondack Trailways [www.trailwaysny.com] They offer scheduled bus service to Ithaca and Potsdam. The website doesn't have fare or schedule information on either city, but the route map suggests that at the least there should be a connection Syracuse.

Here's what Clarkson has to say about getting there [www.clarkson.edu] (and where I found the link to Adirondack Trailways).

I'd wager that what is perceived as an overnight trip is too complicated and potentially expensive for CHA to arrange, given varying tastes lodging, dining, etc..

Re: Bus service to Potsdam
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2008 08:37AM

David Harding
Here's what Clarkson has to say about getting there [www.clarkson.edu]

Use those directions around Watertown. Mapquest has you going through the city, the best way is shown here in Google maps, and is the way Clarkson recommends. When you get to Clarkson, Cheel is best accessed by the first entrance road. You can't park in the lots, but you can park on the road. So once you go over the railroad bridge look for the entrance road on the right. The arena is the dark "square" building in the center of the map, with parking lots all around it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2008 08:56AM by Jim Hyla.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login